Speaker 1: The public has had a long held fascination with detectives. Detective see aside of life the average person is never exposed to. I spent thirty four years as a cop. For twenty five of those years I was catching killers. That's what I did for a living. I was a homicide detective. I'm no longer just interviewing bad guys. Instead, I'm taking the public into the world in which I operated. The guests I talk to each week have amazing stories from all sides of the law. The interviews are raw and honest, just like the people I talk to. Some of the content and language might be confronting. That's because no one who comes into contact with crime is left unchanged. Join me now as I take you into this world. We live in the most connected era in human history, mobile phones, the Internet, CCTV on every corner. Yet there's currently almost three thousand long term missing persons in this country. Nicole Morris is the founder of Australia's only missing person's database and the author of Lost, a book dedicated to the long term missing. She has spent decades ensuring that the people who vanished are not simply forgotten. In Part two of my conversation with Nicole, we explore the strange, sometimes baffling circumstances in which people disappear and ask the questions that linger longer after the search parties have gone home. Was it a choice, a terrible accident, or something much more sinister? Nicole Morris, welcome back to part two of I Catchkillers.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: When we were finishing off in part one, we're talking about people that reach out to you a lot about information that they might have or not about missing persons. I'm going to pray this out to your clearvoyance. You laugh, Okay, I have.
Speaker 2: I've never been quite about my condemnation of people who will take advantage of vulnerable missing person's families. And it happens all the time, whether they mean to or not. And it happened recently as well. There was a very well known American clairvoyant who came to Australia specifically to talk about missing children, including William I think, and didn't like it when I went onto their page and pointed out that that spelled his name wrong. Oh you know that doesn't matter. Yes it does, Yes it does. And you're profiting from the terrible distress of these families, and it's concerning to me the impact that it has on the families as well. Having said that, almost every missing person's family will consult a medium or a psychic at some point because they have that desperation to find answers, and sometimes it brings them comfort and it is one hundred percent their right to do that, and I would never tell them not to. What concerns me is when when people will randomly decide to pass on information to a family that they have dreamed up, that they've they've felt in their waters, and that can cause great distress to a family. I remember a woman whose daughter had gone missing. She hadn't come home from a nightclub, and some person contacted her and said, oh, I feel that she has been abducted and raped and murdered and she's lying bound in a shed. And the woman came home safe the next day, but for that period of time, that image was in that mother's head, and that is unforgivable, absolutely unforgivable. And there are families I don't remember, one of the Clermont in Western Australia, the victims of that serial killer. Her dad was sloshing around in a swamp trying to dig through the mud because a clearvoyant had told him that's where the body was. And I think he said he was standing in this swamp, going why am I doing this? This is crazy? But that's the level of distress. The families of missing people feel. It's a desperation, so they'll listen to anything. And there are people who will take advantage of that, either innocently, you know, they might go they might really believe that they feel this, or they might be trying to profit in some way from that.
Speaker 1: What you said right up front. They're exploiting vulnerable people. That's what I take issue with clairvoyance. I was at a symposium, international symposium with unsolved homicides, and I think it was someone from Scotland Yard or the FBI was talking and talking about clearvoyance and just said, show me a clearvoyant that takes you to the body, and I'll show you the person that put the body there. Now, what that's meaning is no case. And this person was brought from overseas and speaking it couldn't reference any case. And there was some very experienced law enforcement officers there from right around the country and internationally there and no one knew of any clearvoyant that.
Speaker 3: Has helped solve a case.
Speaker 1: So if they're saying they know where the body is, they must have put the body there. That's that's my taken. I have an open mind to a lot of things, but also a practicality that comes with investigating homicide. And no clearvoyant has ever assisted an investigation that I'm aware of, Certainly not any investigation I have been involved in. I've heard clairvoyance say they helped investigations that I was involved in and before for whatever reason. I'm a strong advocate for victims of crime, the victim's families and what I do take issue with, and I think you balanced it nicely when you said, yeah, they might be genuinely thinking they're doing the right thing, and I accept that. But the trauma they cause victims families when they contact them out of the blue and say, look, I've got the information that your loved one might be buried under the bridge or different type of things like that. The victims contact me, they're almost embarrassed to contact me, but it plays on their mind, and it plays on their mind to the point sometimes the victims will actually go out and search the area themselves where I say, well, I can't actually dedicate resources to that based on the information from a clear voyant. But again, perception is a funny thing because I think we've all watched enough crime shows or whatever where a clearvoyant has solved the crime a vision. But all the detectives I've dealt with, all the detectives I respect, I think they sit in the same boat as I do in regards to clairvoyance and their impact on investigations. The troubling part of it is when you're running an investigation, if someone's providing information, sometimes I'm thinking, is this someone just trying to ingratiate themselves into investigation. Maybe I've got to have a look at that person because they why are they getting themselves involved? But yeah, I'm aware of it, and I've had family members contact me so many times about clearvoyance and the only thing that provides false hope, and you know when that hope is lost again, just further paint. Having said that, I do understand why the families because they're desperate, they're vulnerable, and they will try anything. So yeah, it's a murky, murky area. But I just wanted to I got a sense maybe I'm a clear I got a sense that I got a sense that you would have come across that a lot with the profile you've got with missing persons, and I just wanted to get your your.
Speaker 2: Take on it constantly. And so it is. It is a delicate balance of not wanting to to criticize the family's decision to do that, because that's completely up to them, and most of them do and with varying results they can. And then some of them will tell me that they've gone to see five different cleairvoyance taro readers, psychics, mediums, and and they've all told them something different, and so I'm going, okay, so what does that tell you? And and but again it's their right to do that. And if it makes them feel better, if if a clearvoyance said they've passed there, they're watching over you there, they want you to be happy in your life, then that's fairly harmless and not going to dress them too much. And if it provides them comfort, that's a good thing. But again, if they're if they're saying, you know, yes, they were horribly murdered, and and and you will find their body somewhere near a town Starting with R that that can make things so much worse because then they're constantly going, oh, could it be the River Arena? Could it be you know, it's it's it's so hard.
Speaker 1: The other thing I've noticed, so higher the profile the investigation, the more Clearboyance come out to.
Speaker 4: And that's yeah, quite attention to them, and they don't care who they who they use, particularly that these high profile ones that they picked William for a reason because he is Australia's highest profile missing person, they're not They didn't pick a case that no one has ever heard of.
Speaker 3: So yeah, and they're going to solve that.
Speaker 1: And I cautioned any any police that because I have seen some police actually want to follow up up the information based on Clearvoyant.
Speaker 3: But I think there's my experience.
Speaker 2: I think the police sometimes want to kind of help the family deal with it by not disagreeing with it. So if the police officer says, don't be ridiculous, you can't listen to them, that can cause the family distress. But if sometimes a police officer will say, okay, yeah, let's do that to keep you, you know, to give you a little bit of peace. Let's bring that on board, they can come with us, and we'll have a little look something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I do understand that, and I've been guilty of that myself sometimes.
Speaker 3: Okay, we'll have a look at that park, Yeah, a.
Speaker 1: Cursory look and see to put people's minds at these But again, I suppose it just comes into how vulnerable people are when they lose their loved ones. In your book, there's a quote that in your last book Lost, all missing persons need to be treated as homicides until proven otherwise, certainly not written off as suicide, especially if there is mental health present. I'll jump in there just on my takeaway from it. All missing persons need to be treated as homicides until proven otherwise. I say that all the time with anywhere, if we're called homicide to a deceased person, and the same with a missing person. So one hundred percent agree, we agree with that. I'm interested in your take on that part, but also the second part of it. Certainly not written off as a suicide, especially if there's mental health present. So that quotes in your book for a reason. Let's break it down.
Speaker 2: It sort of became very apparent to me in my second book Missing, when I was writing about Sandri and Jordan she had had a previous suicide attempt and therefore the coroner and police have said, well, obviously she's killed herself. But her family strongly agree with that, and there has been I think a lot of evidence since then to suggest that she could well be the victim of foul play, but police, I think are just doggedly sticking to that no previous suicide attempt, therefore this is what's happened. And just this week, this week, last week, the Queensland authorities have said no, there's not enough evidence to sort of push for a full coronial inquiry, which is so frustrating. So I'm actually going to send Debra Frecklington a copy of my book, though I want her to read Sandrine's chapter and then if she still says no, I really don't think there's any foul play here, then I think I don't know what else we can do. But in Lost it was particularly evident with the case of Brian Maxthead, who twenty five year old young man who went missing from Darwin jumped on a plane to Sydney, and I think because he was on antidepressants. Then the coroner said, well, obviously he's taken his own life. That doesn't make any sense to me or to his family. He caught a taxi to King's Cross for a night out, wherein that is the suggestion of suicide. He left all his stuff at the hotel. And just because someone is on anti there's vast numbers of people on antidepressants, that doesn't mean they're suicidal at all. And the issue that his mother took exception to was a police officer who had never met Brian, who was basing all of her conclusions and assumptions on a report that she had in front of her, stood up to the coroner and said, yes, in our opinion, Brian has taken his own life. And his mother is sitting there going you didn't even meet him, and she knew him inside out and backwards. They were they were extremely close. Every time I talked to Janine, she says I loved Brian so much, and Brian loved me. In every conversation we have that exact phrase, we loved each other so much. She knows her boy, And why wouldn't police think Okay, a young, fairly naive twenty five year old from Darwin who'd never really left Darwin jumps on a plane to Sydney and goes to King's Cross and in this was I think two thousand and nine, and King's Cross was not for the fainthearted. You know, it's been a bit gentrified now, but two thousand and nine it was very wild and wooly and a lot of robberies, a lot of fights, a lot of violence. And you've got a naive twenty five year old from Darwin in that mix. Why wouldn't you consider that that could be a homicide. And the problem also with that case is it was handpled back between Northern Territory Police and New South Wales Police because they were saying, oh, well, he technically went missing from the Northern Territory, but he was last seen in Sydney. So it's not our case, it's your case where it clearly it should have been handed by King's Cross. Polus.
Speaker 1: Families don't need to be caught up with that. I understand what you're saying on that case and valid points that you're bringing up. I've got to say, and I'm sure you've encountered this situation as well. I've had situations where, yeah, the evidence is overwhelming that a certain thing has happened that might be self harm, but it's very hard for the families to come to terms with that, And I think we've got to acknowledge that occurs as well. And I understand that completely that families are looking the worst thing you could think is someone's taken your own life. So I understand the starting point for families are going, no, they wouldn't have done that. But that's a very difficult part of the play sometimes where you've got to get opinions across and show the evidence. How do you overcome those difficult situations. Communication presents as much as the evidence as you can and let the family sit on it. Understand that no matter what you say is not going to pease the family if they're protecting the memory of their loved one exactly. That's my experience in that sort of area where it's a bit ambiguous about as to what's happened, and if the evidence is leaning towards it was self harm or misadventure, that doesn't necessarily sarily have to be self harm, could be misadventure, and the family don't want to want to believe it. And I understand the pain the families are going through, and I understand how dare from their point of view, anyone say this about our loved ones, what's your take on it? Because I'm sure you would have seen situations like that before, and how do you deal with it?
Speaker 2: I actually wrote an entire chapter on this exact topic. I wrote a whole chapter that was supposed to be I think it was supposed to be in the second book. And it was a young man missing from the Newcastle area and he had a history of severe mental illness. He was the most distressed, tortured young man. It absolutely broke my heart. His mum found him in a really terrible state. He hadn't showered for weeks, he hadn't been eating properly, he hadn't been taking his medication, and she took him home with her for a few days, and he disappeared from her home. And because of his severe mental illness, he was schizophrenic and he was very paranoid about things. He had installed cameras in his home because he was absolutely convinced that people were trying to break in and harm him, and his mother believed that. So to me, it was clear that this young man was just tortured and he had had multiple suicide attempts in the past, and was it was very clear that he was extremely unwell at the point at the time he went missing. He was at the lowest point. He was sort of facing criminal charges and he didn't have a great future ahead of him, and he had been hospitalized multiple times, which he absolutely hated. He knew that that's what was going to happen again. They would they would commit him again. He was just an absolute mess. And so to me, it was clear that that's what had happened to him. He had chosen to take his own life, and that was the conclusion of police and the coroner as well. But his mother was absolutely adamant, he said, she said, no, no, no, people would after him. He told me that people were after him and that's what was happening. So I wrote the chapter based on what she had told me and the available evidence, and I sent it to her and she was absolutely furious. Was she I'm horrified at what you've written. And I said, I'm so sorry, I've written what you've told me. Oh, that's just not that's just not him, that's just not what happened. You're you're suggesting, And I said, I'm not suggesting anything. I'm just presenting what the facts of his life, the facts his entire history, and the facts of the situation. And she said, that's he's not going to be in your book because that's not an accurate portrayal of my son. And I said, that's completely fine, that's absolutely fine, because she is not there in her catching up to the reality. And maybe it's that's too painful, it's too hard, too painful to think he took his own life. So she said, no, that's it. Someone's someone's murdered him, and no one's listening to me. So I said, and you are completely entitled to believe that, but you know this, I can't help you get past that.
Speaker 3: Difficult, isn't it.
Speaker 1: It's listening to you tell that story and that just yeah, I can see how how hard hard it is. But again it just shows the impact. The only peace and getting back to that quote to start with that you can give to the families is demonstrating that the matter has been properly investigated, Everything that can be done has been done, and the end result, the only court of law that they can go to to get someone to adjudicate on it is the coronial inquest at the coroner's court, and a lot of times that's what the families want. They just want all the evidence presented at the coroner and the coroner to make an assessment of what's happened happened to their loved one. I've seen situations like that the regardless of the result, regardless of the evidence, that the family is not going to not going to be happy with the results. But I think the way that you're adopting it, step back, give them piece if that's the way that they've got to process it. And it's such a deeply personal thing telling someone what's happened to their loved one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And I'll still make appeals for him as long as it takes absolutely you know, I'm not going to withdraw my help from a family just because that they were upset. There's very few people who have chosen to not want their appeals out there, which is an interesting concept as well. I could count on one hand the people who have said no, I don't want you to make appeals for my missing person, so they still want the appeals to keep going.
Speaker 1: Other problems associated when people have disappeared, and sometimes a coroner's court can resolve this. But someone disappears, who has access to their bank accounts, if they're running a business, how they manage a business, if they're renting a property, who takes over that. There's so many issues that need to be followed up when someone disappears. And we've talked not children in this regards. We're talking adults that are living a life. Talk us through the problems that people are found with that because quite often if someone, if you love one, disappears and they're running a business, you don't have a lot of rights initially until things have been properly adjudicated on the decisions have been made.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and people don't know where to start as well. And I don't think I would know where to start if I had to suddenly take over a family member's of theirs. I mean, I've you know, if your parents are elderly, they can appoint you as guardians of their afairs. But when someone goes missing suddenly, particularly if they're younger, the families find themselves in a huge mess. And sometimes the coronial process can take many years, and depending on which state it's in, it can be difficult as well. In Lost, I talk about the case of Michael Graham, who went missing in the outback on the gold fields in Western Australia, and his wife managed to get his inquest quite quickly, sort of within a year, because it was very obvious that Michael was deceased at that point and was not coming home, so it would have been easy for the coroner, but she found herself with ridiculous red tape to She wanted to take their daughter over to New Zealand to visit Michael's family, and she couldn't because Michael wasn't there to sign the consent and she's standing there arguing saying, I just he's not here to sign the consent form. He's missing. They go, well, he's not alive or dead. He's missing. We don't have a box for missing. And she couldn't even put a notice in the paper for a memorial service for him because they said, no, we can do a funeral notice, but we can't do a memorial notice unless there's a notification from the funeral home. And she said, well there isn't one because I don't have a body and I haven't had a funeral and con frustrating, Yeah, and it is absolutely ridiculous. Tony Ryan had to take over car payments for his sister. Who does that? Who keeps paying the rent on a house? And how long do you keep paying the rent after someone goes missing, you know, because you expect them to come back, So the rent still needs to be paid, the car payments still have to be made, but for how long? And then once you decide that they're not coming back, you may not have been able to get an inquest yet, so you don't have the legal right to sell their car. You just have to keep making the payments somehow. And that's not easy if you're adopting someone else's financial burden. It's very, very difficult because it's being missing is a state in between alive and dead, and it's so difficult.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can.
Speaker 1: Then you're dealing with the emotional trauma of losing the loved one and not knowing what's happened, And then you've got all these other layers onto it, and that came out in your book and I when I say, I hadn't really thought about it. I'm thinking about the trauma and all that, but the practical day to day things of how do you move forward when you're caught up in the red tape.
Speaker 2: And when do you move forward? How long do you leave it? It's because there's no cutoff times if you think, oh, they might have just taken is it a month or is it three months? Or is it a year? How long do you leave it?
Speaker 1: With the cases that you deal with, there's many reasons why people disappear, Like if you break it down, you look at the full spectrum. They're choosing to disappear because they've got their life in a rut or whatever and they want to start out again, and they're just starting cleanly. Misadventure, they're walking in the mountains, they get lost and they've never found mental health or self harm type situations where they choose to life's not for them anymore, or outside human interference where someone is something more sinius has occurred in the dealings with all the missing people that you've had. What sort of differences do the families have to the type of thing that might happen that they all looking at the worst case scenario or do they just want answers so that they.
Speaker 2: I think everyone's different. They all definitely want answers. A lot of them don't even it is more important to find the remains of the missing person than to even get a conviction for a killer. They want to know what happened and they want the remains back is the primary thing that we're thereafter. I think that's something that Race Spitchley's daughter Nicki said to me, was that there is a level of not relief, but there is that different level because she knows that her father wandered off into the bush and was lost, so she doesn't have that my father was murdered, extra layer of trauma added to her. So she said that that makes it slightly easier for her. So I think the victims of crime families have the worst time of it because they're obviously imagining the worst that can happen and what happened to their person and their final moments of their person, and then they've got to find the person. And then then it almost is the beginning of the worst bit because then they've got possibly a criminal trial, and as you know, these things can take years, and then there's no guarantee like the Levison's there's no guarantee that you're going to find justice at the end.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And when you talk about justice and also bring in their misconceptions, people often think if there's no body, we can't charge people with murder.
Speaker 3: That's not the case.
Speaker 2: Look at Chris Dawson.
Speaker 1: Well, a classic case and a very high public profile case. And I think that's interesting that you mentioned that because it taps into missing person when Lynette disappeared. But it was so there were so many things there that should have raised red flags, and thank goodness that the right results come, but it was come a long time, long time after. But I think you could perhaps use that as a test case for mistakes that were made about assumptions that someone's just wandered.
Speaker 2: Off exactly exactly, particularly that there's a lot of almost identical cases to Lynnette's that I list, and you think, Okay, did this woman really leave to a three and a four year old at home and just go off? You really did that really happen? And I think as a homicide investigator you'd know that A great deal of the time, police know exactly what's happened. Yeah, but you've got that burden of proof. You can't you can't convict someone without being very sure. You can't even take it to trial unless you are sure that you're going to win, because you've sort of got one shot at.
Speaker 1: It, and certainly when you haven't got the body, you've got to be able to prove beyond the reasonable doubt that the person is deceased, which is sometimes hard to do. I had a case Bob Lubik matter. He was thrown off the gap and the assumptions made there initially when he went off the gap that suicide because the car was found up there and it was treated initial parts of it were treated as a suicide.
Speaker 3: As it turned out it was a murder.
Speaker 1: His body was found I think it was five days later, had floated in the ocean down to just south of Cronulla and his body was found there. But again that could have been written off purely as a suicide based on the assumptions that, oh, well, the car was found that the gap, therefore he's committed to That was the exact intent of the people that murdered him at the gap to take him up there and threaten him. But yeah, there's a lot of different things. Do you think it's harder with social media and the way the world's changed, were virtually a cashless society, do you think it's harder for people to disappear and in this day and age and that was three or four decades ago, or even even closer two decades.
Speaker 2: Ago, very much. So, yeah, because we've got number plate recognition. There was a case last week I think, and they were able to find they know exactly where her car was going because they capture number plates on the highway. So it's not like she left in a car and we've got no idea where she went after that. Run the plate through the system and they say, okay, yep, she was captured on this particular highway. So you've got you need to prove your identity at every level in the world that we live in now. To do anything you need to access your work emails, you need a pin numbered and they can log in. I was reading the other day they know exactly what time a missing person last access to their Facebook page, so Meta must have given them that particular data. They can ping cell phones to quite a specific radius, they know when it was last used. So you've got all of that forensic evidence that pinpoints exactly the last moments of a missing person and exactly where they were. So it is really difficult. But on the flip side of that is you're mentioning people can just go for a walk in the mountains and have never seen again. And we live on a big island surrounded by water. A lot of people go missing in the water. A lot of people go missing in the bush and they say, well, how could you not find a body? Get out in the bush. And you'll understand that, particularly in certain places in Tasmania and it's the Blue Mountains. It's so thick and you can just walk a couple of seconds into the bush and you're completely invisible and you're lost.
Speaker 1: But with the technology, if someone disappeared now we've all got phones. You know someone, well the phone's not pinging, that phone hasn't That can be readily checked and quite easily by police. It's not like where pre mobile phone days you'd go away up the coast and you'd have to find a public phone box to phone home and say hey, I'm here, or contact you next week. So exactly, yeah, I think we've got the advantage now that if someone's got concerns about someone's welfare, they can see if there's something sent us very early in the piece. If they stop using their credit cards before, well they might have got a lot of money out of the bank. They're living on cash. It's not the way the world operates these days.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was also thinking that because we've got such a vast population now, it's in some ways it's easier to disappear into that vast population, because I was thinking about the case of Barbara Brown, who was last seen in nineteen seventy eight. She was a blonde Texan and therefore people remembered her. So you've got physical sightings of her because there were less people around, and a blonde Texan hitchhiker stood out and was remembered because there were less people around, and I think it would have been harder for her to blend into the population as it was, So you've got I guess in a big city, that's how people go missing, because so many millions of people.
Speaker 3: Well that was.
Speaker 1: I read some information last reported drinking that epin hotel then heading north up the coast or whatever.
Speaker 2: The hotel was a red herring. I proved in the book that she couldn't have been so, and that was presented to the coroner as a as factual evidence.
Speaker 1: And there was a lot of assumptions based on the fact that they believe she was at the hotel having a drink that was one, and there's this parliamentary inquiry and a lot of people that disappeared, hitchhikers and different people. In reference to that particular case, you mentioned the paper Latform matter where a boyfriend and girlfriend disappeared. I think that might have been seventy nine or around that time as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very close, and they were last.
Speaker 1: Seen in the Green Bedford van. I remember that because when I was a local detective, I was put on the case and ended up at Mullum Bimbi and everywhere else trying to locate that van. But their mysteries, aren't they they're mysteries that we a.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you think it's generally it's not so unbelievable that you can't locate people, but to not locate distinctive vehicles as well is you know whatever happened to that van?
Speaker 3: Well, I learned a lot about mull and Bimby. I can tell.
Speaker 1: Turning up there in an unmarked police car I thought were fairly COVID and run up there and into a hippie commune and everyone just disappears in the bush and screaming out government here, government here, and like a Green Bedford van. I thought they would be pretty easy to locate, but I can assure you there was a lot of Bedford vans up up there and it was an interesting line of inquiry. But yeah, all these cases, is there one that jumps out to you, one that resulted you didn't see coming, like when you've sat down spoken to the families or seeing how that played out, or when you were researching any of the cases. Did it have a twist and turn that you didn't expect.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think Gary Conwall's case was like that actually went missing two years ago. We've just had the second anniversary. He went missing on his own property at Rookhurst near Gloucester in New South Wales, and I started thinking it was some of the family had approached me and said, we really like you to look into this story, and so I thought, oh, well, you know, it's an elderly man who's just gone missing in fairly rugged country Gloucester. Rookhursed area is very mountainous, thick bush landlots of thick lantana, old gold mines. I thought, oh, well, he's just wandered off on his own property. Perhaps he had early dementia. And then I discovered that he did have a sort of an acquired brain injury, had previously had a stroke, was having some confusion. So I thought, well, okay, that's a fairly clear cut case. And then when I started to talk to the family and I to I ended up talking to everybody in his life. I talked to his partner, his sister, his brother, his sons, his neighbors. I talked to absolutely everybody, and a clear picture began to form in my mind, and I thought, I think that this actually could be foul play, which was a complete surprise. I thought that it was absolutely a case of someone wandering off, and it was the middle of winter, it was very cold. He would have had hypothermia. But the more people I talked to, I began to be really concerned, and to the point where they had ordered the inquest. And I went to the coroner and I said, if you haven't, if the police haven't looked into this particular aspect of it, I think that they need to and I would like to. I gave the coroner the chapter that I had written, and I said, this is why I have concerns. And I knew that a particular person of interest had not been spoken to by police, and I said, I think that's a problem. And the coroner came back to me and said, I agree with you. I'm directing the police to reinvestigate it. And so they went back and I think that is happening as we speak. So it was I never expected that to happen. And even when they started telling me the stories about why this particular disagreement may have happened, I was thinking, oh, okay, you know, it's just is it an argument about a dog? Is it? You know what is? But then it turned much more sinister, and then events are still happening even today that make me think something very wrong has happened in that particular case. And his sons had concerns as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I think that leads to you know, you make assumptions. If you make the wrong assumption, then I'm saying you're making the assumption that I know this is someone that's wandered off. When that happens from a policing point of view, that can be when the real problems with in the investigation. If wrong assumptions are made are made at the start and the investigations not done thoroughly, information that evidence can be be lost. The teenage disappearance so that there's a chapter in your book about teenagers are disappearing. It's quite frightening how many how many people have disappeared as teenagers? And I'm taking this from your book, I think, so, I hope it's right. Thirty seven thousand teenagers gave missing each year for many reasons. That would be roughly we're talking across the nation. The fact that I didn't put into it. Most of them are found safely, almost all of the yeah, yeah, found safely. But the amount of homelessness for teenagers of some of young adults, so twelve to twenty four, twenty three percent of homelessness or twenty eight thousand age between twelve and twenty four. So I break that down, there's twenty eight thousand, two hundred homeless people age between twelve and twenty four. That's frightening, and I think that would play in a lot to missing people if you haven't got a home.
Speaker 2: Absolutely absolutely, And there's a case that's still is probably one of those ones that's going to haunt me for the rest of my life. Is a kid in Melbourne who was missing and his actually his social workers were on the phone to me saying, can you put this information out and I remember the social worker called me and she said, we know where he is, but the police won't go and pick him up. And that's part of the problem as well, because police hate dealing with these cases because there isn't a compulsion to return them to their parents, and sometimes if the kids refuse to go home. It is a very complicated and it's a situation a system that really needs an overhaul as well. But in this particular case, this kid was in a group high and had run away from the group home multiple times. They knew where he was, but police wouldn't go and pick him up because he was just you know, he would just run away again. And I ended up getting a phone number for this kid, and I spoke to him myself and said the social worker was trying to call TRIPLEO and even that wasn't working to go and pick up this kid. They knew where he was, and I said, where are you And he said, well, I'm with this older guy. And you know it's not great because he does bring all these men home and I have to do things to earn my keep here, and so in return for him looking after me, this is what I do. And this is what I have to do. And I said, you don't have to do that. You can go back. He said, I don't want to go back. Why would I go back here? I get drugs and I get food and you know, so why would I go back and get locked up? I'm not going to do that. And there was nothing I could say. I didn't know what to say in response to that. You know, as a as a mother, as a parent, as an older person, I can't say this is so bad for you. This is this is traumatic and wrong. And even though you hate being in the care home, that's where you need to be.
Speaker 1: It's it's sad that they choose that option, living with pedophile being abused. What we can provide you talk about and yeah, you're an advocate on helping people and in the missing person space, there needs to be more resources.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of the failings, if there have been failings with policing, has been the under resourcing of what's needed to properly follow these things up. When kids are living like that. Society, we haven't got it right, have we. You can't have a kid living living like that. We've got to We've got to protect the protect the kids.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and you know, if it's not safe in their home, then they shouldn't be there. But there also needs to be an alternate system. I think the foster care system is also you know, it has its own issues. There shouldn't children shouldn't be in danger, children shouldn't be abused, and I don't know how to fix that. It's sort of you know, missing persons is my area. So I don't pretend to be an expert in child safety. My parents worked in child welfare in the sixties and seventies, and so it's something I've always been aware of. And in the book, I talk about Shiri Westall's case, and she had the best foster family in the world, but the trauma that she had experienced as a child still caused her issues throughout her whole life. And so when you've got these traumatized kids, it's almost impossible to I think Francis, her foster mother, said that. The social workers said, it is almost impossible. It's almost inevitable that these children will run away, will act out, will get into trouble because of the.
Speaker 1: Starting What's the circumstances of her disappearance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she Ree was fifteen years old and in foster care from the age of five with all of her siblings. But I was thinking that, like William's case, I don't know that her status as a foster kid had anything to do with her disappearance. That's my opinion. I think that she was probably abducted from the street by an opportunistic person. It's a crime of opportunity. And she has never been seen again. And they did say she's a foster kid, she's run away. That's just not that. But then they're not listening to the family that say no, she she had plans for the future. She was enrolled in tafe. She was an amazingly talented young woman. She could play the piano my ears, she was artistic. This is not something she would have done. She was really close to her siblings, in contact with her siblings. So, yeah, she was a foster kid, but she'd been a foster kid for ten years in a great home.
Speaker 1: So yeah, thank you for mentioning the Willim Turrol matter, because I think that is quite often been misrepresented, the fact that William was a foster kid, and there was so much confusion about it, and I know the views they hear people. Yeah, constantly coming up and saying this or saying that, have just misread the situation, like there's nothing to be ashamed of. A child's a foster child and the environment that was raised. I always say on the wim Tural matter, we talk about the he was a foster child. See all the beautiful photos of him riding his bike and playing and all that. Ye, those photos are from the foster Yeah, and that was the environment that he disappeared in. But yeah, when when kids, you know, most recently we had that the young fellow down in South Australia, guss Lamont, disappeared, that it does capture the attention of the country because I think you look at children that young, that innocent and just disappeared and no answers, So it just goes on, doesn't it.
Speaker 2: And it's rare to have children go missing in this country, as you'd be aware, it's a really rare thing. From from William to Gas there's none. So Cleo she was located.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, not just rare here, rare in any similar type community is as we have here in the in Australia. And I've often been asked that and I think this way on why children around the age of three or four. Anyone that's had supervision or of three or four year old know that you can't turn your back for a moment because you don't know what they're going to get up to. And I think that's why it's so rare. There's not the opportunity if there has been something sinister involved, there's not the opportunity because we've got eyes on the children. That's why it's such a rare, rare situation. And then yeah, in willim circumstances, playing at the foster grandparents place, everyone feels safe having their child run around the yard in the grandparents place. So it's just that opportunity where eyes are often for a moment, and that's where they've disappeared.
Speaker 3: So that's why it.
Speaker 1: Doesn't happen happen very often, and I suppose that's what gets the attention of everyone talking about it. If you had to and you've been doing this now and working, and I don't know where you get the energy to do all this, Like it's you're making a lot of sacrifices because you're bringing in a lot of people's pain into your life. You've been doing it for over two decades, I think you're entitled to offer an opinion as to how could the whole situation with missing persons be improved. When we talk law enforcement, we talk every way, even the way that message that you would put out to the families if they've got concerns about someone that's disappeared.
Speaker 2: I think you've mentioned resourcing, and that's got to be right up there. It's got to be. You know, as a country, we're spending a lot of money on things that I think are frivolous. If I could use that term, you know, I think maybe.
Speaker 1: Sorry, can't we stop there? Are you accusing the government of wasting our taxes a little bit? A little bit, yeah.
Speaker 2: I think they could be better repurposed on policing. You know, the community is crying out not just for missing persons, but for youth crime and for the community is that doesn't feel safe. And the Parliamentary Inquiry is demanding that cases of cold cases are reinvestigated, but I don't know that there are police to do that, or you're going to pull them off current cases to look at old cases. Whereas there needs to be recruitment, there needs to be supporting policing because you're losing vast numbers of police, good police that I could mention, are no longer out there doing a job. And so there needs to be resourcing in staffing and resourcing in the very basics of DNA testing the remains that are in that are lying in Gleep morgue. So as I said to the other day, I'm making appeals for people that were found years ago but we don't know we don't know who they are. They haven't got a name.
Speaker 1: So we're talking a body or skeletal remains staying at the morgue that haven't been identified.
Speaker 2: Yep. Absolutely, and it's how awful to then one day say to the family, oh, you know, they were found in twenty and ten, but we just didn't have any money to do a DNA test on them. That's ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous. So we need to overhaul the labs. You know, the Queensland Lab was in such a mess and there's a massive backlog of sampling now and then there's cases in jeopardy because of potential contamination. So overhauling the labs and resourcing funding for all aspects of missing persons. We're a rich country and there's got to be money there somewhere to put into I just think giving a family a little bit of peace when the worst thing in the world. If you think the worst thing in the world is losing somebody that you love, that's got to be the worst thing in the world. That's worse than other disasters and terrible things that happen in the world. So if we can fit that, why wouldn't we if we have the ability to fix that. We're not a poor country.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the things that you're talking about there, and I understand the monetary restraints with budgeting issues, but it's not a great deal of expense just to set the system up so and it should be nationwide, so there's not this you know, we're operating in silos in each state. That should be national across the country. But set up the systems and make sure that you know, and I'm not here and I don't get the sense you are seeing here beating up on the police. There's been mistakes made, which is understandable. Mistakes happen, But what we have we learned from those mistakes and making sure we prevent those mistakes from happening again. And I think we could set up a system it's complex in that each case is different and each person that disappears there's a different set of set of circumstances. But the process to document the initial report, the steps that need to be taken a pretty clear cut. It's not that complicated. It's pretty obvious what needs to be done if someone's been reported as missing and the inquiries, and that should be the benchmark. That should be the benchmark that every time that someone is recorded as a missing person, these things are done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as I understand it, and maybe you can confirm this having worked there, As I understand it, all missing persons cases suspected homicides are reviewed every five years, so I don't know if that's still the case, but that's at the very minimum of what needs to happen. I actually think it should be kind of a cursory glance at it, at least yearly, and a phone call to the family saying, just wanted to double check you. We've still got your contact details, just want to reassure you that we haven't forgotten them. Just that communication that we were talking about before.
Speaker 1: Well, I worked in unsolved homicide as an inspector, and I didn't see it that way. Now there's been an overhaul, and there's been criticism, wide range of criticisms about how unsolved is dealt with, But it's something that I think we've got to understand, or when I say, where I'm talking to police, understand the families are unforgiving in regards to what inquiries are done with their loved ones, and there should be a system in place not attacking individuals. And even the command resources are limited. We haven't got unlimited resources, but I definitely think it could be the quality could be enhanced if the numbers were increased, but also having the people with the right experience investigating these unsolved homicides.
Speaker 2: Absolutely with a focus on compassion, not just yeah, your person's gone missing, you know, don't increase their distress. It's just have a little bit of you know, to you you know, one hundred and thirty missing persons reports today, police would become kind of a little bit immune to that whole process. But to that family, this is the only time in their whole life that they're going to walk into a police session and report someone as a missing person. So you need to that they need to recognize that that's a horrific thing that the person's doing and just a little bit of compassion towards them.
Speaker 1: I think if you say compassion the way that I tried to get that across, and it was taught to me when I was a younger detective or a younger police officer, and I tried to pass this on. Treat the person that comes in as you would want your family member to be treated. And yeah, when someone's phaning up and the loved one is missing and they might have slept worrying about what's happened. If you phone up and you've got the name of a police officer and the response is I know that police officer has gone on leave or whatever. Yeah, I can understand why families would get concerned. But I don't think anyone said it's out to add trauma two families. I don't think the police do. It's just something that if there have been mistakes, we need to need to overhaul it. And the type of stuff that you're talking about is practical and I think achievable that we could possibly do another thing that I just wanted to ask you this because I don't know where it stems from, but quite often now with technology, if someone disappears around the area in which you live. You moybile phone gets a text that look out for such and such a person. What was a genesis behind that? I think it's a great idea, But how did that come about? Do you have any understanding of that?
Speaker 2: Not a huge amount sort of technology isn't really my area. But I do think it's amazing. It's interesting to see the public reaction to that. It annoys people, and it annoys me that it annoys people like you're thinking, honestly, the amount of spam emails we get, this is an important one. People go, how do I blow this number so I don't get these? Like, no, no, these are really important.
Speaker 3: Day.
Speaker 1: I didn't realize it was annoying people. I thought that to me, it so like a good idea.
Speaker 2: Oh this text, And it was I don't know anything about this, Why are they texting me? Like? No, it's a very small thing that everybody can do, and it works. That's the thing. It actually works that they're able to send a specific geographical area a text message and people are going, okay, oh, well, okay, there's this missing person. Hang on a minute. I'm sitting at a bus stop and they're right here. That has happened, and people may see them walking down the street, a particularly an elderly person. If you see someone walking down the street in a dressing gown, you've got to think to yourself, all right, that's not quite right. So maybe just think, oh okay, and then you get this text saying you know missing eighty year old in your area. Oh okay, hang on a minute, I'm going to call the number that's on my text. It's a brilliant time.
Speaker 1: I think it idea and the credit to the police for initiating in that. But the community members, let's have a bit of a community feel here, or it's not that bigger impossitive. You're not sending out because someone hasn't come home in the past five minutes. Where is a person? There's obviously where there's concerns. If people want to reach out and find out what you do or get advice, what's the easiest way to get in contact with you? And you're going to regret that. You're going to regret that I've asked this, but I know that's what I'm here for.
Speaker 2: So yeah, through the Facebook page, it's if you send me a message, I'm there all the time. My husband said to me last night, it's seven point thirty. Why are you still talking to people? It's like, oh, yeah, okay, I have to remember that I should have business hours, but I don't, so it's whenever I get a spam minute to answer somebody. Then I'm always available for advice or to get a missing person appeal out there, and I'm constantly up the website. So for long term missing persons, jump on there and have a look. It's all organized by state and by gender, and so people can look at New South Wales mail missing persons from now and from right back until the nineteen fifties, so every case you can imagine.
Speaker 1: Well, good on you. I don't know where you get the time, the energy. I hope you're looking after yourself. And you've also managed to write three books of missing, vanished and lost. I don't know where you get the time to do any of that. Your husband must be very understanding, as your children because putting a lot out there. But look, I think it's an important thing. I hope people that have listened to our conversation now get an appreciation of the type of emotion and dramas that come when someone disappears. So next time you hear of someone having gone missing, understand the pain that that causes. And that's a ripple effect too, isn't It just doesn't impact on one person, that can pass on the generations.
Speaker 2: Yep, and a whole community, a whole community is affected when the person goes missing.
Speaker 1: Well, keep up the good work, thank you so much, get some rest and yeah, but good luck to what you're doing there. I think it's a really important role that you've managed to carve out for yourself. And all the best for the future. And thanks very much for coming on.
Speaker 2: I catch killers, thank you and thank you for all your hard work. Great and if people say that, enough to you, but thank you for everything you've done.
Speaker 3: I appreciate it. Thank you all the best.