Speaker 1: Twenty three year old Rochelle Charles was brutally murdered. Her killer has never been caught. Her sister Christy, has turned to a team of investigators to finally get justice. Innocent people too afraid to speak out for decades are breaking their silence for Rochelle. Join cold case expert Damien Luhn and me Ashley hans It for our unmissible podcast series, Deer Rochelle. Visit Deroshelle dot com dot au.
Speaker 2: Before we start the show, you've just heard a trailer for the new crime podcast from True Crime Australia. Dear Rochelle, and at the end of this show, we'll play you the first teaser episode of that series. They would hang around there and they would play pool. They'd drink beer, smoke cigarettes, take drugs, and generally be the sort of people at the local police would keep an eye on because they could easily get into trouble. What nobody realized was just how much trouble they can could get into. Because what no one realized then until it was far too late, was their propensity for these two to do a most remarkably evil and satanic thing. I'm Andrew Rule's Life and Crimes One of the worst cases, worst murders that I can recall when I was at school was the terrible, terrible case of Rosen Naughty in Western Victoria. Now Rosen Naughty was a fifteen year old girl. She lived with her mother, who was divorced, in Hamilton, which is often called the wool capital of Australia, probably if not the wall capital of the world. And Hamilton is a prosperous regional city. That's prosperous because it's in the middle of the Western District, which is full of farms and successful area in every way. Roslin's father was Ivan Naughty, who was a shearer. Her mother's father, that is, Roslin's granddad, was a farmer called Roderick McCallum. So these people, you know, local rural family. After Roslin's parents split up, she and her mum lived with granddad on his farm just outside Hamilton at a place called Wallace Dale. And Granddad Roderick McCallum, he milked cows. He was a dairy farmer. And after a few years of that they moved together into the town of Hamilton, and so by the time the nineteen seventies rolled in, they were all living in Hamilton, his granddad and his daughter who was forty two, and Roslin who was fifteen, and their dogs. They were very keen on dogs. They used to show various breeds, small breeds. I think they had corgi'es and they had maybe Pomeranians and Pekinese that sort of thing. In fact, they had six dogs, and one of them was Roslin's pet Corgie, a little dog called Jody, a male dog called Jodi. And Roslin had gone to school locally at Hamilton, and she'd initially been at the mary Noll College, which I think is a Catholic college there, and then she was about to move and start school when this happened. She was about to start school at the local high school. She was switching schools and so there she's fifteen. She's presumably going into year ten. I would have said what we used to call form four, I would think. And she's quite a small girl for her age. She's quite lean, quite small, so the jockey build. I don't think she was brilliant at school, but she was diligent and she used to do a lot of needlework and make her own clothes and all that sort of stuff, and the previous year of nineteen seventy, she had been judged Miss Junior Showgirl at one of the local shows, I think Coleraine or Castleton, one of the locals. She was a junior show girl, and there are photos of that event, which is why we often see that photograph because it's one of the very few of Rosen Nolty. And no one would have ever heard of her outside Hamilton except that she became the victim of this awful, awful crime. And what happened was there were two young men in Hamilton. They were teenagers really, one was nineteen and one was eighteen. They were teenagers, but teenagers at a time when people left school young and worked at a relatively young age. So some, especially boys might leave school at fourteen or fifteen and take on jobs apprentices or just laboring jobs, or whatever it might be. And the older one of this pair, older by a few months, was Christopher Lowry, Christopher Russell Lowry. He was the shorter of the pair. He was broad shouldered, strong and volatile. He was known around the town as a very bad tempered, nasty, bad egg, and he was an apprentice bricklayer. He'd almost finished his apprenticeship, he worked for his father, Bill Lowry, who was a builder around the place, a brickie and builder, and he was apprenticed to his own father, and they used to work around town and I think were regarded as pretty good brick layers. Lowry had always had a reputation. And I know this because I talked to a former policeman who grew up down there at that time. He was a little younger than the bad guys in this story. He was more like Rosalind's age, and he recalls seeing Lowry and he said he was just bad news. He was volatile, he was intimidating, he was violent, and he said, I remember once something upset him in a basketball game, and he just grabbed the ball and started swearing at the umpire or whatever, and he kicked the ball hard into the ceiling of the stadium, just sort of in protest. It was sort of the behavior that he exhibited. Now that in itself doesn't matter much. It's just a kid kicking a basketball into the roof, but it indicated his willingness to go outside the bounds of normal behavior. And there was another occasion, to give one example of probably many things that he did as he was growing up. There was some sort of dance or rock concert in Hamilton and a band from Horsham was playing in Hamilton, and there was a disagreement of some nature with the band from Horsham and Christopher Lowry, who's basically sixteen years old seventeen years old at this stage, he pulled a knife on one of the band members. And pulling a knife in those days in regional Victoria was regarded as an extremely bad thing to do. It was an era when people did not carry knives, and only bad people carried knives, and to actually pull a knife on someone in an argument at a function like that stood out as the act of somebody really bad and headed for serious trouble, which this guy was. He was trouble now he was free with another guy called Charles King. Larry was a domineering sort of character. He had the sort of glittering eyes. He was a ball of energy. He was sort of like a bit bull terrier. The other Charles King was a taller fellow, a bit milder mannered. He was intelligent, relatively intelligent. He had left Hamilton briefly to go to Melbourne, and he'd gone to Melbourne, I don't know, maybe eighteen months two years earlier, to learn to be a PMG linesman telephone linesman, PMG being the old fashioned name. It was the Postmaster General's Department, which was the forerunner of Telstra, and this guy had gone to Melbourne to learn to be a linesman at the linesman school in Melbourne and to do the equivalent I guess of a sort of a trainee ship or a cadet ship. But when he got to Melbourne, young Charles King from Hamilton didn't go that well. He I think probably didn't turn up to work enough, he didn't study hard enough, he didn't like Melbourne much, and he got involved in two things. He got involved in drugs and he got involved in bad company. In fact, he started to knock around with the Hell's Angels nomads, which in that era the Angels were one of the very early organized motorcycle gangs, and I suspect were not as big a criminal fraternity as they are now that the Hell's Angels of the late sixties. They were bad lads, wearing leather jackets and behaving badly, but I don't think they were an arm of organized crime all together. At that stage they soon would be when they got the recipe for how to make empediments from their brothers in San Francisco. But that's another story. So our man Charles comes back to Hamilton a bit of a failure. He hasn't got the good job at the PMG. He's sort of blotted his copybook a bit in Melbourne, and he's probably using drugs including LSD and hallucinogenic drugs and smoking dope and drinking too much beer and bourbon or whatever. And he pells up with the dangerous young fellow, Christopher Lowry, and King actually goes to work for his grandparents' shop. King's occupation is given at the time of his arrest this year as a shop assistant, and that was because his grandparents did have a store in town and he would go and help their working in the shop. He's basically filling in time and he's hanging around with Chris Lowry, which is not a good thing. Chris Lowry had a blue panel van which I think his father had bought for the brick laying business, but Larry got to drive it around and Chris Lowry, at the age of nineteen, has a seventeen year old wife who's heavily pregnant. She's an English girl, a migrant family that had landed in town. And he clearly got Hazel the migrant girl pregnant fairly quickly, and was obliged to marry her. And he was living, i think, in a flat in Hamilton, and they had put their name down to get a house and commission house in a new suburb of Hamilton. And all that was happening in the background, but none of that stopped Chris Lowry from hanging around the main street in his blue panel van with his mate, Charles King. And they would hang around there and they would watch the girls walk past, they'd play pool, they'd drink beer, smoke cigarettes, take drugs, and generally be the sort of people at the local police would keep an eye on because they could easily get into trouble. What nobody realized was just how much trouble they could get into, because what no one realized then until it was far too late, was their propensity for these two to sort of egg each other on, or for one to follow the other to do a most remarkably evil and satanic thing. One month before the murder that we're talking about, back in around the end of nineteen seventy, around the thirty first of December nineteen seventy, these two guys, King and Lowry had gone to a motorcycle race meeting over at Mount Gambia. I think it was just over the South Australian border, which is not that far from Hamilton, And they'd been at these motorcycle races and they were talking and as they later told police, that was when one first said to the other, and I believe it would be Lowry saying it to King. Larry said to King, I wonder what it'd be like to kill a chick, to kill a girl who used the word chick, as a lot of people did in those days. And they had a discussion about you know, what it would feel like and would it be good? And you know, da da da da da. Now King would later claim that he thought Larry was just mucking around, showing off whatever, and he says he didn't take much notice of it, which may or may not be true, but the fact is, no matter what he thought it was or wasn't, when they were watching the motorcycle races. One month later, they're sitting in the blue panel van in Hamilton's main street, eight o'clock on a Sunday night on the Australia Day weekend. So it's a long weekend, so Sunday night is not a school night. Sunday night is the middle of a long weekend, and everybody's sort of at a bit of a loose end. It's a country town. There's not much happening. There's a pool room, there's a cafe. You know, there's no pubs open on a Sunday. If the pubs have made open, this might never have happened. There's a thought. And they're sitting there and Lowry brings up this thing about killing a chick again with his mate King, and they discuss it in some manner or another. Anyway, a girl walks down the street. Now, this is an eighteen year old girl that they know. Her name is Cavenana like Kevin with an a cavena Butterworth. She's eighteen and she's well known to these pair they know probably at that age they've all gone to school together or something like that. And they talk to her and Larry says something suggestive like what's it worth to drive your home? Sort of a sexually suggestive comment, and she says nothing and sort of takes it as a joke and laughs. But she does step in the car with them. And I'm not sure if they took her for a drive or didn't, but anyway, she stepped in the car with them, and interestingly, Lowry punched her on the shoulder and kicked her. And she later told Plice she interpreted that sort of horseplay and she punched him back or something like that, And she didn't make a lot of it until later when she was interviewed by the police, when there was a darker complexion on all this, and she got out of the car and away she went. And that's the end of that. But those two are still sitting in their pedel van. It's still Sunday night, just after eight o'clock at night, so the son has set and what happens is, by chance, Rosen Noughty has gone for a walk. She's got her little dog, Jody, the corgy, and she's going to give the dog a walk. Now, dogs have to be walked. They have to be walked every day, and some people might walk them twice a day, some walked them three times a day. But it's clear looking back on that a fifteen year old girl on a Sunday night in the middle of our long weekend. She's walking down the main street with her dog. She wants to go down the main street and have a look who's around, you know, see who's cruising around whatever. It's a teenage thing to do. So she walks down the street with a dog and wearing her tight slacks and a purple top and a leather choker around her neck that she made for herself, and her boots. She had something rather boots on that were sort of fashionable. And she's down there walking the dog, and she walks down one way and then back up the other, and she sees our heroes in the blue panel pan and they've just finished talking to the other one, Kevina, and they see Roslind turn up and one says the other, oh, she's a chance. Now, this is apropos their plan to kill a chick. She'd be a chance, Rosalind's a chance. They knew her name, they know it, right, They know it. King's little brother Stephen, who was thirteen or something. He knew Rosin. Really well, they all know each other. It's not that big a town. And oh, you know where you're going, what are you doing? Blah blah blah. Next thing, she gets in the car with them, do you want to come for a spin? Whatever? And they drive off with Roslin and her dog Jodi, and Roslyn is not seen alive again. She doesn't get home that night. Her mother, June, is frantic. She knows that when Rossen hasn't come back home by nine thirty or ten or ten thirty, that it's not good, and she's getting more and more frantic. She rings the police. She stays awake all night and next morning the police start mounting a search. Now they don't really know where to look. All they know is the teenage girls disappeared, and police in those days took the view often and you can't blame them in some ways that teenagers often go missing for a while, they go off with a boy or a girl and they stay the night somewhere, or they hitchhike somewhere or whatever. It's not always going to be a sinister outcome. And so the police do start a search, but they don't really know what they're looking for or where. They haven't got a focus yet, but they do know that Rosn's mother is very concerned and says it's totally out of character. So they're looking and they're talking, and they talk to other young people, teenagers, and they're not really getting far. And on the Tuesday, something turns up. What turns up is the little corgy dog. He's found wandering along a little narrow country road, a track really that leads down onto the main Hamilton Port Ferry Road. And this little track that's got trees and all the rest of it, it leads down from what they call the Mountain Apier Bush. It's a bush reserve. Mountain Apier is not really a mountain, it's more just a bit of a hill and it's scrubby. It's got trees. It might be, you know, a couple hundred acres of trees or something in the scrub and it was a bush reserve about say ten twelve k's out of Hamilton that was regarded by young people are somewhere to go parking. People would go out there and shoot up tin cans with guns all that sort of stuff. You know, they dump old cars there whatever, that sort of place, because there's the cover of trees and it's out of town. And the little dog is found in this track that leads between the main road and this bushland, and it's found by an old farmer, an old war veteranaturally an old grazier, and he either rings a place or takes the dog in because he must have heard something. And the police get the little dog and they take it round to June Naughty, and that's when she really knows that something bad has happened, because she knows that Roslin wouldn't leave the dog. If the dog is split up from Roslin, it's very bad. That's when June knows. That's when she really fears the worst. Before that, she's probably hoping they've hitched ike somewhere or something, but now she knows it's bad. The police agree with June Noughty. They now know that that area near Mountain Apier is probably the place to look for Roslin. And an interesting thing happens. There's a policewoman, a policewoman called Overend is a surname, and she lived in the same street as the King family, and she was quite friendly with the Kings. The Kings were sort of respectable people. I think missed the King. Clive King was a train driver, and they were well liked and respected people, and the policewoman knew them, and she went around to the Kings and she's chatting to Charles King as the eighteen year old, and said, oh, Charlie, this girl that's gone missing, Rosalind. She got any sort of regular boyfriends or special boyfriends or something that she might have bolted with or anything like that. And he says, oh, look, I don't really know that well, but I have to say she was okay when we dropped her back outside the Commercial Hotel. We gave her a ride down the street from so many blocks back to the commercial Hotel and dropped her at the commercial corner, which was her street, and she could walk home from there. Darted on Sunday night. She was okay then, And this came as some news to the police because the police had been told that Roslin had got into a green and white e H Holden and gone for a driving that which she might have who knows, But it was the first time they knew about it. Getting in the blue panel van with Lowry and King. Was when Charlie King brought it up himself, obviously trying to sort of act casual and all this. So the police suddenly thinking Lowry and King and the blue panel van are very interesting. They've got the little dog from the old farmer and on the Wednesday morning they must have got the dog. On the Tuesday night, I think, or Tuesday afternoon. Wednesday morning, they go out to Mountain Apier Bushland with the dog. They take the dog with them, which was smart, and the search starts there and the little dog leads them to Roslyn's body. And this was the most shocking thing that any of those people had ever seen, and probably the most shocking thing any of them ever saw. Even coppers that worked for thirty or forty years never saw anything probably as grueling and as awful as what they saw, because what they saw was fifteen year old girl's body. It's battered, it's bruised, it's broken, she's got broken arms, she's got burn marks I think from cigarettes. She's naked apart from a pair of socks. Her bra has been knotted around her neck. But that's not the worst of it. And she's died from strangulation because whoever tortured her like that, and a dragged along over rocks, possibly dragged using a car. Who knows whoever did it, had tied her up hog tied her with a piece of electrical flex with a slip knot around her neck, and they passed the end of the slip knot back behind her and tied it to her feet. So she was trussed up backwards, hog tied, as the description is, in such a way, a calculated way, planned, premeditated, so that when she struggled to get loose from this awful posture of being tied backwards, that it would choke her. And so she was left to die choking. After being bashed, kicked, dragged, had cigarettes burnt, the whole thing, she was left to die by choking herself to death. It was the most horrible scene that those people had ever seen, and the most horrible thing I think that the Australian public had heard in the post war civilian world. These awful things happened in wartime, of course, and everybody knew that, you know, terrible things had happened in the war with the Japanese and the Germans and the whole thing. But this was in provincial Victoria, in a tidy, clean, nice town where everybody should be nice and kind, and you know, not anything worse than drink too much beer. On a Saturday night or something like that, and this had happened. It shocked Victoria. I remember this clearly. I was probably thirteen, and it shocked Australia. Really, it was a terrible, terrible crime, and Hamilton was in total shock and to some extent denial. I suppose the first instinct was it must be somebody from outside, you know, bad guys from somewhere else have done this, who came to town. Which strangers have been in town and a copple's a ken on, you know, looking where their bikies that have come to town and done this or whatever. But the fact that Larry and King and their Panelman have been mentioned in relation to Roslyn by King gives them a bit of a head start. So they go and see Larry and King separately and together, and they interviewed them a couple of times. And Larry and King story, which they obviously colluded, was, oh we saw yeah, we saw Caverna and then we saw Rosalind and we dropped rosn off outside the commercial hotel and then we picked up a hitchhiker. We picked up a hitchhike and drove to Coleraine with the hitchhike and dropped the hitchhiker off, which seemed a bit of a stretch. Why would you do that? And the main advantage of that story if it was believed, which it wasn't. The main advantage of that story it gets them out of town at the relevant time, and it would explain why they're blue panel van is out on the road. If it's seen out on the highway somewhere, that would explain it. So they stick to this Coleraine hitchhiker story. I don't know that the police are totally believing them. I think Lowry's reputational persona preceded him. There was something about him that was in QR right. And the police are starting to think that these two guys know what happened to Rosslyn, and they lean on these guys and lean on those guys. They stick to the hitchhiker story, but they start to alter a bit under pressure. Homicide squad turns up the experts. In fact, Victoria police took this really seriously. An Assistant commissioner came from Melbourne with the homicide squad to work on this, and one of their best fingerprint experts turned up. A senior Constable Kelvin Glair. Kel Glair was a fingerprint man in the Fingerprint Division Forensic and he, of course later within sixteen or eighteen years or so, became chief Commissioner. But he was a young man on a mission and very good at what he did and what he did on that trip down he went out to the crime scene and he very carefully picked up things that the and including a fresh beer can, a new one, and he fingerprinted it and he found a perfect middle fingerprint on the can and he matched that to the middle finger of Christopher Russell Lowry, and so the police had cast iron smoking gun evidence that put Lowry at the crime scene. Now, once they had that, thank you, kell Glare. Once they had that, they had a big stick to work on these guys and say, well you were there. What happened? Now by the Saturday with the homicide squad working on them, the homicide squad splits these two guys up, classic thing, split them up different rooms, different coppers, and they turned them against each other and they say, listen, your mate's in there telling our colleague how you did it, and you're going to cop it all and you're going to swing for this son if you don't tell us what you think happened, tell us your side the story. And so both of them are constructing stories that make it bad for the other guy. It's funny about crooks the good mates until this sort of stuff happens, and then they just point the finger at the other guy. So the police did the classic divide and rule. They both come up with stories implicating the other one. By and large. By the time it got to court and they had a chance to sort of thrash out these storylines with their expert defense counsel, they'd come up with a scenario each of them. Charles King said that he was hallucinating from taking LSD and he thought the trees were moving and he was talking to animals and while he was out of it in this days, wicked Lowry was killing Rosen Nalty, which may well be true. And the other bloak Lowry, who's the tough guy. He said, Oh, no, I was scared of Charlie King. He's frightening, especially when he's on the drug side. Dad, I was very scared of him, and I was scared to kill me. So I was afraid from my life. And so they each blamed the other they're charged with murder. There's an inquest, preliminary hearings, committal hearing. I think down that way it was held down might have been held in warnable one of them. And I know that the defense counsel from Melbourne went down for each of them, and they couldn't get anywhere to stay. No local place would give their defense counsel anywhere to sleep, no hotel, no motel, No one would even talk to the defense council of lawyers, and people spat on the lawyers in the streets. There was so much feeling about it, bad feeling that the lawyers were made totally unwelcome. Wasn't their fault, but anyway, that's the way it goes, totally unwelcome down there. Naturally, the inquest finds that, you know, they killed her, and naturally they are charged with the murderer and they appear at the Supreme Court sitting in Ballarat. The first jury is impaneled. This is getting late in the year of nineteen seventy one. First jury is impaneled and early in the piece the jury is shown photographs from the crime scene, photographs of Rosslyn's body. This has such a terrible effect on one jura. One juror had a physical and mental breakdown. They got physically ill and had a mental meltdown and couldn't proceed. A doctor was called came in attended to this person and said this person cannot go on. And so the judge had to discharge the jury and in panel a new jury just to find a group of people, which they did and they impanel a new jury and the trial happens. During the trial, King's father, Clive King, sits in court and cries when he hears the evidence. The most grueling part of the evidence was a reconstruction of the crime where police have gone out with the bad guys and they've got him to reconstruct what they did, and they film it. Police film it and with the flex and tying the hands and tying their feet, the whole thing. And this is very graphic because it's been filmed and a screened in the court and his dead silence, and I know what it was like because one of my former colleagues is no longer with us Ian Livingstone, known in the trade as Doc Livingstone. He was then a young reporter and he'd been sent up there to cover this case. He'd gone to Hamilton when it first happened, and then he covered the case. He saw the whole thing all the way through, and he described it in one of the most chilling and searing pieces of journalism I've ever read. And he described the scene in court, and he described the reactions of those there, and how sick everybody felt, how King's parents were distraught, how King looked ashamed, and how Christopher Russell Lowry smiled, didn't care, he smiled. And after they were found guilty by the jury after just less than two hours, pretty quick, really, they were found guilty. King looked pretty shattered, and Lowry attempted to do like a victory salut or a victory wave until a policeman grabbed his hands and pulled them down. He was just a piece of work. There was evidence led by a psychologists from Melbourne University, a Professor Cox, who said that Lowry was a psychopath, a saddest and words the effect that he was manipulative and cunning. King was regarded as probably more intelligent than but relatively easily led a weak out personality, which is probably true. It was one of those situations where one influences the other. Ian Livingston is covering the case. He follows the prison van out of Ballarat to drive back to Melbourne, and he's got with him a female reporter or photographer, whatever doesn't matter. And he said, as we pulled up behind the prison ban there was a window in a prison van. He said, Lowry's making obscene gestures at the female passenger in my car. So this man has been sentenced to death. They were probably, I believe, the last people in Victoria ever to be sentenced formally to death. But it didn't worry him. He probably didn't think he was going to hang, and he was right. He wasn't going to hang. The death sentence, although it was still on the books, was in effect already in a de facto way, had been retired already. The fact that these two guys did not get hanged proved that the death sentence was never ever going to be used again in Victoria, because if you weren't going to hang this pair for this crime, you couldn't hang anybody. The death sentence was duly commuted to life imprisonment by the Governor Sarhundalecam. These two reptiles were sentenced to sixty years jail with a minimum of fifty which was fair enough. That meant the rest of their lives, effectively, the rest of their lives in jail. And although June Naughty and her father and probably her ex husband Roslin's father, although they would have preferred these killers to be hanged, they realized that that wasn't going to happen, and they said that a minimum of fifty years was a just result because it was life, life for a life. Well, they were cheated, those people. June not He died two and a half years later of a brain tumor. Her father, mister McCallum, he died the same year as she did, three months apart. I think Rosen's father lived on for a few years. But they were cheated because the system totally let them down, having told them that their daughter's killers would get fifty year minimum in the late eighties. This is only the next decade. We're going from nineteen to seventy three. I think the actual death sentence was pronounced nineteen seventy three to about eighty seven or eighty eight. It was revealed that King had been released from jail overnight to take a visit to suburban Melbourne. He was led out of Beechworth Jail and put on the train or driven to Melbourne so he could spend the night with a female friend. And within a little more time he was given more and more privileges from a very soft prison Beachworth, Durranguy, those sort of soft jails, because he wasn't regarded as a heavyweight security risk. I think Lowry was regarded a little bit differently. But the point remains that by the late eighties one of them was getting out regularly and it was clear to everybody that they were both going to get out well ahead. Those two guys were released because of a change in sentencing laws, a retrospective change in sentencing laws. They were both released in nineteen ninety two. I think it was ninety two or ninety three. They'd served twenty one years and they were led out for good twenty one years instead of fifty minimum. That I believe was an absolute betrayal of Rosen Naughty's and friends and everyone who loved her. They'd believe that those guys were going to get jail for the rest of their lives. It was a fair expectation, and the system, politicians, judges, lawyers, whatever, the system betrayed Wilson, not his mother essentially, and her parents and her grandfather. They weren't around to see it, at least two of them weren't. But it was a shameful thing. And it was that betrayal that led Ian Livingstone, who, as I said, he's no longer with us. He was a very fine journalist on the forerunner of the herald Son, the Sun News Pictorial, and I worked with him and he was a very fine journalist. And he wrote a searing, absolute crackerjack piece about Lowry and King and how it was about the worst thing he'd ever covered in his life. And when I thought that it's time to have another look at this, I thought of that piece that I read back in nineteen eighty eight, and I could remember nearly every phrase in it, and I looked it up and there it was, and I've quoted it extensively in the story that I've done for the Sunday herald Son to mark the anniversary of the first time those pair of vermin were put before a court, that is in April of nineteen seventy one. PostScript. Lowry was a bad guy who stayed bad. He was a thief, He was a bash artist. He was a drug user and probably a drug dealer, ended up using a different name and all the rest of it, but ended up dead not before time, and around two thousand and six, I think two thousand and seven he ended up dead. Pity, it wasn't much earlier. And Charles King, the gentler one, the not so bad one, perhaps the weaker one. He'd made a name for himself very early in jail as being a model prisoner. He'd studied hard, he'd become quite a gifted artist. He had an artistic bent, and he did get quite a few people on side to push up for the fact that he was rehabilitated, etc. And when he got out he was able to drift into the community and lose himself using I presume a false name. But he did have one advantage. Although he went through the system under the name Charles King when he'd been charged with the murder, Charles King, and he'd always been called Charlie Charles, but on his birth certificate it turns out he was named after his father and his real name on his birth certificate was Clive Clive Ian King, not Charles, and so it was that King was able to go through life, later producing that ID under the name Clive and he would never have to worry about passing a police check. And ten years ago our newspaper Shannon Deary on a Sunday Herald Son wrote a story exposing the fact that this murderer, torturer and murderer who'd been sentenced to death for his crimes, he'd worked for the Catholic Church, in fact, for the Carratus Christie hospice out in the Northern Suburbs for eleven years as a maintenance manager, I think, and that was very good that he'd held down a job for eleven years. Of course, he needed a steady job because he'd been able to get married and he had kids growing up that he had to support, so he needed to look after them rather better than he'd looked after Ross and Noughty. Before we leave, don't go away, because coming up we have the first episode of the new crime podcast series Dear Rochelle, and we'll be speaking to the host of that show next week on life and Crimes.
Speaker 3: I'll happen through I've seen this fire on the right hand, thought grabbed me to watch, and all of a sudden, I've got this flash of gold in my face and I've got back, And there was a Bengal on a hand. Burnt body was found on a lonely South Coast road.
Speaker 1: The twenty three year old disappeared from a pub in Bargo.
Speaker 3: The callous way that she was dubbed here and just discarded like a percy rubbish and set on fire.
Speaker 2: A young woman in a prime of alive.
Speaker 1: Her name was Rochelle Childs and her killer has eluded police for more than two decades.
Speaker 4: Sister was vivacious. She was everything to me growing up.
Speaker 1: She was attractive, friendly, funny, but loved cars.
Speaker 4: One of the members I've Rocky team. She really cared about the people around her. We just all got ripped off and and her especially.
Speaker 1: This case should never have been left to run cold.
Speaker 4: It has been twenty three years. It's time for the truth to come out.
Speaker 1: Join some of Australia's sharpest criminal minds in this live investigation.
Speaker 4: I think the person who killed her would be worried about this podcast.
Speaker 2: I'm absolutely sure that we've interviewed the crow us in that brief. Have we got a shirkill on the hand.
Speaker 3: When you're dealing with sex offenders, it takes years of experience to realize how clever they are.
Speaker 4: What would it mean to find justice everything? I'd just love to see person off the streets.
Speaker 2: Its no doubt about. It's a red odd suspect. Rochelle was killed by someone she knew.
Speaker 4: She was very trusting, and I think she'd trust to the wrong person.
Speaker 2: People saying to me, oh, you know you're going to be a suspect, and they're like, oh, you're the ex boyfriend.
Speaker 4: What do you mean, Like, I'll help it, They'll think about it.
Speaker 3: What sorry?
Speaker 1: People too afraid to speak out for decades of breaking their silence for Rochelle.
Speaker 4: He doesn't scare me at all anymore.
Speaker 2: What you're doing is potentially very valuable to the public, but potentially very harmful to a dangerous person. I'm afraid you fit the profile.
Speaker 4: He's in and around everything like he's just there. My heart was racing, it was confronting. I will never have peace until my sister's murderer is found. My worst sphere is that person who Hill Rochelle has killed again.
Speaker 3: This is solvable if Fender, responsible for this crime is still alive.
Speaker 4: He's the devil.
Speaker 1: Dealershell A groundbreaking podcast series exclusively from True Crime Australia, hosted by me Ashley Hanson, Available now. Visit Dealershell dot com dot a U for more. That's d E A R R A c h E w l E dot com dot a U.
Speaker 4: You can run away, but you can't hide.