Speaker 1: Welcome the late pay.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us. I'm James Macpherson with Liz stra and Caleb Bond. Coming up the Queensland government's latest health campaign encouraging people to do a pooh at work.
Speaker 3: No, I'm not making that up. I wish I was.
Speaker 2: We'll talk about it and show you their campaign tax wealth.
Speaker 1: I'm glad that's all you're going to show us, James.
Speaker 2: The election cannot come soon enough. Plus when we look at the papers, a Greens MP skipping parliament to join an anti war protest, of course, and the Teals announce the price for their support in the event of a hung parliament. And I'll give you a spoilers. It's not small. We'll get to all of that shortly. But first, police communications are being questioned after a man suspected of throwing hot coffee over a nine month old baby in Brisbane last month managed to evade capture. Now the man fled the scene, leaving baby Luca with horrific burns to his face and his body. His mother went on radio describing the attack and saying there was no doubt it was deliberate.
Speaker 4: He knew exactly what he was doing that day, and I knew that from how he threw this liquid onto my son, I knew it was an attack straight away. And the other fact that he ran away, changed his clothes, went to another location and changed his clothes again. You left Queensland obviously within twenty four hours, and then left the country. He knew exactly what he was doing, which is just unthinkable.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Police asked the public for help in locating the suspect, describing him as Tan. It was up to you and I to guess that when police said tan, what they meant was of Asian appearance. By the time police identified the man, he'd already fled the country. Former Australian Federal Police Superintendent David Craig says the entire incident raises questions about the way in which police had chosen to communicate the incident.
Speaker 3: Here he is on sunrise this morning.
Speaker 5: I think the fact that he wasn't accurately reported in the media. His description was reported as a proportionate person of tan skin, thirty to forty years old, Well, that doesn't narrow it down very much. And I think when a baby has been injured, attempted murder, if you like, then we need to call out exactly who we are looking for. These are not racial philification terms. These are identifying terms of a serious victim. He should have been called out a man of Asian appearance, just like we do with Southeast South Pacific Islanders or person of Caucasian appearance. It didn't happen quick enough in this game.
Speaker 2: Now, of course, we don't know why the police chose not to use the term Asian, and nor are we suggesting that was the definitive factor in him being able to evade capture.
Speaker 3: But it does raise the.
Speaker 2: Question more generally, Liz and Caleb, have we now reached a point where authorities are afraid to use certain adjectives even to describe crimes and identify suspects, for triggering members of the population, And that surely has dangerous implications.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean you would have to wonder whether this is a case of political correctness gone too far. And of course, you know it's up to the cops to explain why they did or did not immediately release the detail that they believed he was of Asian appearance.
Speaker 1: And I mean, we all saw the image there.
Speaker 6: I think you and I and everyone at home could say that he was of Asian appearance. So why could the police not just say that upfront, and particularly now we know that this fellow has abscondered, he has left the country.
Speaker 1: Imagine if you had known that.
Speaker 6: Detail a lay person in Queensland, if you had known that detail, that you weren't looking.
Speaker 1: For someone of tanned appearance.
Speaker 6: I mean, for heaven's sake, after you've been on holiday, James, I might say you are a man of tanned appeople. I'd be a man of a very good point, as I was after I came a from Queensland a couple of weeks.
Speaker 7: But you don't say that we wouldn't want to offend any beat.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's right.
Speaker 6: We certainly would not all the alcoholics who are suffering with redness in the face. But you know, it would seem such a basic thing to say he was a man of Asian appearance. And the fact we weren't told that, you'd have to say, is a complete bungling.
Speaker 1: Of the police.
Speaker 6: As for why they did it, I mean, who knows. I think they need to explain it. They need to come out and say, now, why we weren't immediately told that if they could tell that he had a darker shade of skin. Well, surely they had the opportunity to see his face and know what his ethnicity might have been.
Speaker 7: And Luca's mum would have known that too. I mean, if someone's throwing scalding hot coffee on your baby, one of the first descriptors she would have given them was it wasn't a man of Asian appearance.
Speaker 8: I mean, this isn't rocket science.
Speaker 7: Why would the police not want to give absolutely every descriptive you possibly could to catch someone who is sick enough to throw a skull beveridge on an infant?
Speaker 8: Do you want to find him or not?
Speaker 7: And now this begs the question would he have been found if such details had been released to the public, if they'd simply been told this is someone of Asian appearance.
Speaker 8: Because we know that he.
Speaker 7: Crossed several suburbs by foot, he caught a train, He then caught a car to Sydney, where he boarded an international flight and fled the country. So how many people saw him in the course of fleeing on foot, catching a train, getting into a car to Sydney that might have otherwise been able to identify him now will never know.
Speaker 8: I would be utterly ropeable.
Speaker 7: If I was Luca's mum, if that was your baby, and the police hadn't even bothered to say we are looking for a man of Asian appearance.
Speaker 3: Well, your rhetorical question, how many people saw him?
Speaker 2: Of course, the answer is none, because no one was looking for animated appearance. Everyone's taking a two weeks on the beach in Queensland exactly. It reminds me of a story from the UK in June where a transgendered woman had been missing for two months and there were genuine fears about the welfare of this man identifying as a woman, and so police put out an alert. But they described this person, who went by the name Sarah as her she a woman. They made no mention of transgenderism or the fact that it was a biological male, and so they're expecting the public to find a man when they're putting out a descriptor for a woman. And in this instance, as I said, there were genuine concerns about the welfare of this person, and it seemed like police were more concerned about using correct pronouns and descriptors politically correct ones, rather than actually finding the person. And when you can't trust law enforcement, of course I'm not saying that this about this particular incident here in Brisbane, but more broadly, when you can't be sure that law enforcement are giving you all the information, then who can you trust? And it leaves us in a pretty precarious situation when trying to help the welfare of people or indeed track down offenders.
Speaker 6: And as the former superintendent who we played the clip from him before, David Craig, said, you know, it's not racist at all to identify that someone might be of Asian appearance. It's just to say, well, that's what the person looked like.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, if it were you or I.
Speaker 6: I'm sure they'd say it was of Caucasian appearance. One wonders what they would say if it was a black man, for instance. I mean, you can't say he's tanned, unless, of course he's a.
Speaker 1: Very light black.
Speaker 6: So what would you do in that circumstance. And it's pretty typical to see if say someone is of African appearance sort of like, it's not unusual for the cops to come out with that detail. And so given this is one of the first cases we've seen in this country of it not being forthcoming I think we've got to ask the question and the cops owe us the answer as to why it wasn't told. Because if this is something that might happen going forward where we're not immediately pretty obvious descriptive details about someone, how can we ever fight crime?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 7: And this is something that has been so prolific for quite some years now in the UK and America. I mean, the memes now run large is to is the media going to tell us an accurate description of this person, because they would just be to all this bombing occurred or this stabbing occurred, and until there was actually a screenshots of the individual as we have shown you this evening, everyone's been up in arms saying why didn't you say you were looking for a black man? Why didn't you say you were looking for someone who fits this particular description.
Speaker 8: So we know that this is.
Speaker 7: Something that has become a very regular malady in our other western countries. So like you say, to have the first what appears to be the first instance of it here in Australia, it's like, come on, guys, do you want to catch the culprit?
Speaker 2: On just my last point on this, it's not polite to withhold the descriptive tech insulting because it implies they're afraid that average Joe Blow in Australia can't cope with being told some information without then stereotyping every person he sees.
Speaker 3: On the street. It's not polite, it's insulting to the general populace.
Speaker 7: Indeed, like, oh, white people would be like they said, a Caucasian throw a hot beverage on this baby, as if white people could care less. We just want to catch the sicko that did this for crying out loud to Germany now, where the state elections last week have triggered a political earthquake because the AfD party, known as the far right wing, very anti mass immigration party, did incredibly well in Thuringia. They got twice as many votes as the three ruling establishment coalition parties combined. In Saxony, they came a very close second to Angela Merkle's former.
Speaker 8: Party, the CDU.
Speaker 7: So the government is now put on notice by the German people. We are sick of the immigration rates. We are sick of the crime that these immigration people are bringing to our country. Check out this headline from four months ago. The government's own website in Germany, a test to the fact that foreign migrants account for nearly six in ten crime suspects in Germany despite only comprising fourteen point six percent.
Speaker 8: Of the population.
Speaker 7: Of course, that was four months ago, so there's now more immigrants in Germany than there was then, and Germans have sent a sign to their governments we are absolutely sick of this.
Speaker 8: Funny thing happened on the back of that.
Speaker 7: Election because the AfD had done so well, they had this one seat that was going to give them a voting block in parliament, and all of a sudden, nothing to see here, but all of a sudden they were told, oh, actually there's been a miscalculation, some sort of computer problem, and that one seat that would have given the AfD a voting block in parliament was then given to a different party. But the government has not had completely deaf ears, because we learned today that they've decided to take some firmer measures regarding the immigration.
Speaker 8: Rates in Germany.
Speaker 7: Germany's government has announced plans to impose tighter controls at all of the country's land borders, in what it called an attempt to tackle irregular migration and protect the public from threats by threats. It's talking about Islamist extremism, which has been the streets of Germany have been fraught with it for many, many months now, and again the Germans are absolutely sick of it. I find this interesting off the back of last night's story talking about Hungary telling the EU, you guys can get stuffed. We are not allowing illegals into our country, and if you do insist that they come here, we're busting them to Brussels on a one way ticket. And we said last night it would be good to see more European countries stand up to the EU and say you can't force us to take illegal migrants or legal migrants against what we see as the interests of our national sovereignty. And here, just one day later we're seeing this play out in Germany. But notice all the media are calling this a very controversial call. This is very controversial, and it may not some posit, it may not even be legal.
Speaker 8: Only time will tell.
Speaker 7: I love that some of these European countries this time, it's only because the Germans have given them such a belting at the state election. The parliament knows we've got to act on the otherwise we're dead in the water. We almost gave the AfD a voting block. We have to be seen to do something about this.
Speaker 8: Power to the people. It looks like it's actually happening.
Speaker 3: It's amazing.
Speaker 2: We talked about it last night and then here we are Germany making changes already. So clearly the late debate having incredible influence all over the world.
Speaker 3: But I'll tell you the other.
Speaker 2: Thing that probably tipped them into taking action was the stabbing to death of three people, of all things, a diversity festival in the city of Zulian back in June. And there was laws about that. Sorry, not in June, it was last month. There was outrage about that. This was a Syrian migrant who actually hid in an asylum refugee hostel before he was eventually caught.
Speaker 3: Isis claimed responsibility.
Speaker 2: And so you've got a festival celebrating diversity, celebrating the fact they've brought all these people, it's millions of people they've brought into the country, and people are getting stabbed at that event. So there's huge there's white hot anger.
Speaker 7: Yeah yeah, And that's only the most recent Again, just like the UK, this has been playing out for a very long time now and Germans have had it up to here. I mean, under Angela Merkel, millions of illegals and legal migrants we're is flooding into Germany. Germany is no longer Germany, and I don't think it ever will be the Germany that we've all known and loved for a very long time.
Speaker 8: It just won't be.
Speaker 7: You can't let that many people into your country without it fundamentally changing forever.
Speaker 6: And THEU only has itself to blame for this pushback against what is happening now because where Germany sits in terms of is landlocked in Europe, it sits in a zone that is generally free movement. Anyone can come and go as they wish. Germany's finally gone. Hang on a minute, this isn't working out for us. We need to take control back of our borders for our country, regardless of our ties to the EU. And that's why the reporting has said, you know, it could be legally fraud. Because we talked last night about the case with Hungary where they're in trouble because they have refused access to asylum seekers, cracked down on that significantly. The EU then told them, well, if you don't play by our rules, we're going to find you. They then refuse to pay the fine. Now they've got a two hundred million euro fine sitting there that they've got to pay by mid month, and if they don't pay it, the EU is going to dock their funding out of the EU budget. And as you said, I mean they said, we'll just bust them all into Brussels.
Speaker 1: If that's what they want.
Speaker 6: They've said it, stick it up yours, which Germany is now starting to do as well. And so you've got Hungry and you've got Germany, but they need more countries to get on board because no doubt the EU, like they did to Hungry, will launch some kind of legal challenge or they will threaten fines or other sanctions against Germany for doing this. They've initially said it will be a six month trial, but one imagines that if that works, which you imagined.
Speaker 1: It will, if they do it properly, then it will.
Speaker 6: Just continue long after that. So they need other nations to on board and do the same thing. Because you know, it's great that Germany is now on board, but if you've still only got two European countries in the wilderness standing up for themselves and no one else backing them, you know, standing behind them and doing the same. Then they will come up against the same might of the EU that Hungry faced, and the danger is that they will start to back down.
Speaker 1: They can not back down. The people have voted for it.
Speaker 6: We know what they want, and ultimately what they voted for is less say.
Speaker 1: From the EU.
Speaker 6: And as I said last night, it's no wonder that the UK pulled out of the EU. Brexit went ahead, and that's essentially what we need to start seeing here countries pushing back and saying no, no, we want our sovereignty back. We're happy to be part of a trade packed or whatever it might be in terms of some form of EU, but we fundamentally want our sovereignty back because the experiment of the EU having total control has not worked.
Speaker 8: That.
Speaker 2: The other interesting part about this is that the German governments specifically mentioned Islamic extra as the reason they want to close their borders, and that's interesting talk, especially coming from Germany. They tend to be very reticent to be that specific about what the real issue is. So maybe this represents a start we can only hope of a turning point in Europe.
Speaker 7: Well, you do wonder if this is the beginning of the end of the EU. What kind of parliament is forcing sovereign countries to take in.
Speaker 8: More and more foreigners.
Speaker 7: You can't do that, and more and more countries are saying so. It was months ago we had the EU elections. France was just completely like, we hate this.
Speaker 8: We won out and voted for these far right members to get into.
Speaker 7: The EU because they were like, for crying out loud, you guys stand up for us, because they're also sick to the back teeth of a lot of Islamic migration into France, which again is another country which is unrecognizable from the France of yesteryear. Is that we all knew and once loved. But I do hope that this is the beginning of a revolution. The UK paved the way, said we're out of here. You guys suck, You're not about the UK, you don't care about what's best for.
Speaker 8: Us, So we are leaving.
Speaker 7: How many more countries may one day stand up and do the same, because right now we're looking at populaces in these countries who are all definitively voting against.
Speaker 8: What's happening in the EU.
Speaker 7: And if they were to have a Brexit vote of sorts. I have no doubt France would be out, Hungary would be out, Germany would be out if it went to a democratic election where it was up to the people of those countries, and who knows how many more would also vote to lead.
Speaker 6: Liu just sees the dollar signs more people in the EU means a bigger economy, etc.
Speaker 1: That's all they're interested in.
Speaker 6: But of course individual countries know that it's all good and well to have a bustling economy, but you've got to have people who actually want to live in the country, not just once been busting over the border. Let's go to the US because, of course tomorrow will be the first face off between Donald Trump and Kamala Harris, the first debate and probably the last debate since she became the Democratic nominee replacing Joe Biden. You can watch all the action here on scar News tomorrow from eleven a m.
Speaker 1: But what has Kamala Harris been doing.
Speaker 6: To prepare for this debate? We know, of course that she's been very reticent to do any interviews. She's only done one interview so far, and she had her emotional support candidate Vice presidential candidate Tim Waltz there holding her hand the whole time. It only went for twenty six minutes in pretty friendly territory with CNN. We know that she does not want to front up, so she's got to work over time to get herself ready to compete against Donald Trump. Well what's she been doing. She's had a bloke come in to pretend to be Donald Trump. She's in a hotel room with the stage lights like we have here in the studio, pretending.
Speaker 1: She's talking into the man himself. Take a listen.
Speaker 9: Vice President Kamala Harris. She is in her hotel in Pittsburgh. They've got the lights as if it's in a studio, they've got the stage. They've even brought in somebody who's dressed in acting like the former president. And then we know that the former president himself is just having sort of informal policy discussions from what we understand, in preparation for Tuesday.
Speaker 1: I mean, how good is that?
Speaker 6: And I think it goes to the point that politicians in America do not front up to the media, and they don't front up to the public anywhere near as much as politicians do in this country. Of course, you know, the Prime minister is constantly interviewed on television. In Australia, they constantly have debates in the lead up to elections. They're not so afraid to front the media because they know how to deal with the media, whereas in the US they shield them away.
Speaker 1: They don't have anything.
Speaker 6: To do with it, and so when they're faced with something like this, they don't know what to do, which is why Trump has a bit of an advantage in these circumstances because Trump is a media man. He's been an entertainer his whole life, so he sort of knows how to conduct himself in these circumstances.
Speaker 1: The bloke who's.
Speaker 6: Been pretending to be Donald Trump, this isn't his first outing. He did this with Hillary Clinton back in twenty sixteen. Philip Rains is his name. He dresses up, as we heard before, like Donald Trump. Now we should specify, he doesn't put a wig on to look exactly like him.
Speaker 3: It looks nothing like.
Speaker 6: Well he did once he said that in twenty sixteen he had a go at tanning his face a bit to see if it could make him look a bit more like Donald Trump, but no one particularly noticed, so he gave up on that idea. But here's a little kip of him preparing with Hillary Clinton in twenty sixteen, trying out to maybe a little bit.
Speaker 1: Of violence post debate.
Speaker 6: At least he didn't grab a bother you know where, and I assume won't see any of that sort of conduct from Donald Trump tomorrow. Trump himself, though, asked what he was doing to prepare for the debate well ta to listen.
Speaker 3: Har specifically preparing for the debate versus Harris. I'm not really I'm not spending a lot of time on it.
Speaker 1: I think my whole life we're preparing for a debate.
Speaker 10: You know, you can go in and you can have all sorts of sessions.
Speaker 11: I watched Mick Romney go in and he worked so hard he four weeks, he locked himself into a lock cabit and then he developed luck jow.
Speaker 1: He couldn't couldn't speak.
Speaker 3: I watched other people.
Speaker 1: I mean you basically, you have to be real.
Speaker 11: You know, you can't cram knowledge into your head, for you know, thirty years of knowledge in one week.
Speaker 6: I mean, the whole idea and this is, you know, quite possibly the event that could decide the way.
Speaker 1: A lot of people vote in this election.
Speaker 6: But the idea that you would be hold up is Harris in a hotel room with like bright lights on you like you're in the TV studio. You've got it guy there who's pretending to be Donald Trump. If she shows up tomorrow and fudges it, well, she's had every opportunity not to.
Speaker 3: There's a couple of unique things with this.
Speaker 2: I mean, firstly, the debate tomorrow is the first time apparently that Kamala Harris will have met Donald Trump. So maybe the fact she's got an impersonator there is an allusion to the fact that she's a little bit intimidated and.
Speaker 3: Not sure what to expect.
Speaker 2: Because Donald Trump has specified there are to be no platforms used.
Speaker 3: Because Kamala Harris.
Speaker 2: Is only five foot four, Trump will tower over her, and there was a suggestion that maybe she'll find a little something to stand on to make herself look a little bit more, you know, presidential compared to him. It's a ninety minute debate and no notes are allowed. As you said, she's only done one interview since accepting the candidacy, and it was with her Vice president nominee, who she held hands with. The entire time, so I can well imagine she is preparing NonStop. But I just love Trump, and he proved why. He'll be brilliant with that. Just a random quest question and what are you doing to prepare? And immediately I'm not, And he makes the point brilliantly. He is going to wipe the floor with commandments.
Speaker 7: In a word, he used the word authenticity. And whether you like Trump or not, he is what he is and he never pretends to be anything else.
Speaker 8: Some would say that's to.
Speaker 7: His detriment, but people have a built in BS meter. We can tell when someone's faking it. We can tell when they're trying too hard. We can tell when they're sweating bullets while trying to look comfortable. You don't see Trump do that because he is authentic. And I think what we're going to see tomorrow, and I cannot wait. I've got my body weight in popcorn.
Speaker 8: Ready to go. We will see that.
Speaker 7: We will see this woman who is quintessentially fake.
Speaker 8: She does not have substance.
Speaker 7: We've been laughing about it for the better part of three years now, versus Trump, who, like he said, I am what I am. I don't even have to prepare whatever the questions are I already know the answers. I'm ready for this, I was born for this. That is the massive difference that are people going to see tomorrow.
Speaker 6: And you say you'll have your body weight in popcorn, Harris has to hope that she doesn't have her body weight in word salads, because that is where she could really fall apart tomorrow. We know with these presidential debates generally there's not.
Speaker 1: A lot of policy substance.
Speaker 6: Certainly, the debate we saw between Biden and Trump, there was no policy substance whatsoever. It was purely a personality clash and that's probably what you will see again tomorrow. And so Harris really has to watch herself because we know Donald Trump can ramble a lot, but you sort of expect that of Donald Trump. He sort of goes off on tangents and whatever. So if he can lead her in the wrong direction, whether he knows he's doing it or not, with his rambling, she can then fall into that trap and go off into her word salads. At least you know where Donald Trump is going with what he's saying, starts wheeling that stuff out tomorrow. I know, again we all sort of expected, but this is something that will be watched around the world, much like the Biden debate was.
Speaker 1: And if people take a look at that.
Speaker 6: And go, heck, perhaps we didn't pick much better than we had last time. It could be the thing that sinks her. That's what she would be really worried about.
Speaker 2: It is going to be highly entertaining and as Caleb said, you can watch it here on Sky eleven am tomorrow Australian Eastern Standard time. One of the questions Kamala Harris should be asked in that debate is what on earth went on in Afghanistan. Of course, the Biden Harris administration withdrew from Afghanistan and it was an absolute shamozzle. They left billions of dollars worth of military equipment behind. Thirteen servicemen were killed, as well as hundreds of locals, and America's enemies around the world were absolutely emboldened not to mention the fact that Taliban are now in control of Afghanistan after all those years and all that money and all those lives spent trying to stabilize the country. Well, John Kirby, he's the National security spokesman for that White House. He was asked if anyone was ever going to take accountability for what happened and have listened to his response?
Speaker 7: Was anyone ever held accountable by the president directly for what happened with the withdrawal in Afghanistan?
Speaker 8: And if not, remind the audience why not.
Speaker 11: We have all held ourselves accountable for the progress of the withdrawal cross the administration. And it was a true interagency effort to get those one hundred and twenty thousand people out and to make sure we removed our diplomats and our military personnel safely. As I said, ed not everything went according to plan, nothing ever does.
Speaker 3: Was anyone held accountable? Oh, we've all had ourselves accountable? Then why are you still there? Why haven't you fired yourselves? Liz?
Speaker 2: When you hold yourself accountable, it means no one is held accountable.
Speaker 3: In fact, the only.
Speaker 7: Wrong things go wrong, you know, nothing ever goes and completely according to plans, So leaving the Taliban billion dollars worth of the military clement. It's just one of those things, you know, what happens when you're withdrawing after twenty years in Afghanistan and leaving everyone to wonder, firstly, what the heck was the point of that in the first place, if you're gonna leave the guys that you were supposedly going in to beat and wipe off the face of the earth and conquer for good two decades.
Speaker 8: You just you didn't manage that.
Speaker 7: You leave between with your darrel between your legs, and leave the Taliban better off than you found them with you mute military capacity to the tune.
Speaker 8: Of over seven billion dollars.
Speaker 7: But you know, these things happen. These things happen, you guys, and it didn't go according to plan, and nothing ever does.
Speaker 8: But we tried.
Speaker 3: But we've held ourselves accountable. So it's all good. Move on.
Speaker 6: I just I can't get know the fact that he can say it with a straight face, and I know that's his job as a press sect to you know, spin the absolute but Jesus out of these things. But it's we're sitting here laughing about it, but it's not really a laughing matter to say that, to say that, oh, well, you know, not everything goes to plan, nothing ever does. Okay, So you've by the actions you took, you have now led to the widespread, once again subjugation of women in Afghanistan, where they're now no longer allowed to play sport, they can't speak out in public, they can't dance, they can't do all the things that you would expect people to be able to do. And of course, you know, you often make the comparison of what the Middle East looked like Iran, Afghanistan, you know, back in the sixties, and what it looks like now. What was the objective of going into Afghanistan if ultimately we pulled out and allowed the Taliban to come back. When you pull out of a country after going to war there, unless you have set up something else to take over, you create a vacuum. I mean, the US created the greatest vacuum of all time because, as you say, they left all the weapons behind. Taliban just walked straight back in and said, oh, thanks very much, mister.
Speaker 1: Barden, you've got here for us.
Speaker 6: And by doing that, they have led to the deaths of loads and loads of people, the subjugation of loads and loads of people. They have left them in the lurch. They are scared for their lives, they're scared for their freedom, etc. And that is directly what the Biden administration did, and they just go, well, some things don't go to plan what was the plan in the first place.
Speaker 3: That response reminded me.
Speaker 2: Do you remember when Hillary Clinton was asked about the balls up in Benghazi and they had their diplomat who was horrifically murdered. Rate it was just a disgrace, And effectively she shrugged her shoulders and said, that's one of those things. It's the same democratic response. So when things go wrong, they shrug their shoulders and say, oh, well, you know you can't get it all right, and expect everyone to move on.
Speaker 8: But everyone does move on, which just curls.
Speaker 3: Make they've got the media in their pocket.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, but everyday people should be watching this play out repeatedly. It's not the first time we've been here and just say no.
Speaker 8: You floods have got to go.
Speaker 7: We are not re electing you, Like, how can you not then vote in their home state accordingly and say no, no, no, we remember what you did and what you didn't do.
Speaker 8: You don't get to stay in parliament period.
Speaker 7: Someone who has stayed in Parliament for far, far too long, Former Speaker.
Speaker 8: Of the House, Nancy Pelosi, has declared.
Speaker 7: That basically thirty percent of Republicans are racist, sexist homophobes.
Speaker 8: Here she is during an interview letting them.
Speaker 7: Have it, saying this is why, this is why this certain amount of people will never vote Democrat, because this is who they are to their core.
Speaker 10: Why is it so close from your assessment as a plic This is a guy who's done a lot of things that you have characterized as thugs, the attack on the Capitol, there is just the most the video that came out where you're talking about he's got to pay a price, it's clearly not paying any price. He could win the presidency again.
Speaker 12: There are people who will never shall we say, inclined to support Democrats because of they just have a different orientation to it. Whomen, people of color, LGBTQ, you know, they just are not ever going to be there. So say that's about like thirty percent or something like that.
Speaker 7: And then of the Republicans, they're just you can't help those people, you know, they're just they're in the two hard basket. They're just sexist, racist, homophobes. This is such old rhetoric from the Dems, and obviously they're piggybacking off this caricature of Trump that they've created, and now the label is applied to anyone who wouldn't support the Democrats.
Speaker 2: There's a biggest story here, though, that everyone is missing. She said thirty percent of Trump supporters a homophobic, sexist, and racist, but back in twenty sixteen, Hillary Clinton said fifty percent was enophobic basis.
Speaker 3: So it just shows Republicans are improving.
Speaker 2: All that's how far they've come, correct, even in eight years, and they'll practically be democratic.
Speaker 6: Well, and you mentioned Hillary Clinton back in twenty sixteen. You wonder whether this is Pelosi sort of basket of deplorables moment. Have they not learnt that back in twenty sixteen, insulting people who were thinking of voting for.
Speaker 1: Trump did not work. It embolded them.
Speaker 6: It said, well, if you think I'm such a piece of excrement, of course I'm going.
Speaker 1: To go and vote for Trump because you don't want my vote.
Speaker 6: And that's exactly what Nancy Pelosi is doing here. I mean, I know she's over the age of eighty and she's dotttery and whatever.
Speaker 1: But seriously, she should know.
Speaker 6: Of all people, she's been in politics long enough, she should have enough nouse to know that you don't convince someone to change their mind by insulting them. And that is continually what people like her and Hillary Clinton have gone for. If you want Trump to win in November, keep saying stuff like this because it makes them go, well, if you don't want my vote, I'm going to go and give it to someone else. Props to this guy, by the way, Alex Steinger, Now you were you saw that clip there? Pelosi was in Texas. She's been in Texas launching her new book, and she was at her book signing and this fellow mister Stinger, who is a comedian, right wing comedian, approached her to ask a few questions about her stock trading.
Speaker 1: I know, I was listening.
Speaker 9: I let me get at soul now, and I want to say how much I appreciate your like fear staunched the fanning of democracy.
Speaker 1: It really means so so much, you know, and.
Speaker 9: You know, like honestly, like I'm really scared about, you know, Donald Trump winning the election.
Speaker 8: And honestly, with Dolmand doesn't from me on that. I was like, you know, I honestly, do you one chance to like that? We have as to doctor Donald Trump to actually send.
Speaker 4: The rest of his wife in prisoner. We do all Nancy Lesson for.
Speaker 1: Me, whats what stock should I buy?
Speaker 9: Nancy, You're the greatest options trainer of all time, is one of the most stocks.
Speaker 6: And for that he got dragged away. By the way, you should pay attention to what stocks she's buying. She never seems to lose, does Nancy Pelosi. Before we get to the break curious image we saw the other day of Zara and Marke Tindall, of course of the royal family, and they were at the Burly Horse Trials in Lincolnshire in the UK. And I note that the kids sporting Magic Millions caps here, so good on them for celebrating Australian horse racing. But on their eldest child, you can see hanging off the belt loop on her shorts is an Apple tag. Now you can use an apple tag to track something. People often put them on their luggage, They put them on their pets and stuff to see where they're going to. They've seen fit to put one on their child to track her, and it raises the question, you know, is it acceptable to be tracking your child all the time via the means of internet as they seem to be doing there. I can see an argument for doing it at a big event like that, You know, I suppose it's every parent's worst night mere that you lose a kid in the crowd and you'd like to be able to find them. I mean, you know, you and I and many of us might remember once upon a time, you know, you'd write a phone number on a kid's arm at a big event like the Royal Show or something, so if they got lost, they knew he is who to call to get mum and dad. But the idea that you would track beyond that in general, I find a bit weird, particularly when it gets into teenage years, because you're taking away any level of trust in a child. And I think it's important to give children a level of trust, because we know they stay at home longer and longer, and they're so infantilized these days that you've actually got to give them a little bit of room to look after themselves and take some responsibility.
Speaker 8: I don't think it's got to do with trust at all.
Speaker 7: It's got to do with duty of care, because you can have the most trustworthy sixteen year old who makes a dumb decision, climbs into the wrong car some uber driver. I mean, I don't think parents can underestimate how evil some people are out there this day, in this day and age.
Speaker 8: Sadly, this is now the world that we live in.
Speaker 7: We open the show talking about some random sicko who dowsed a baby in a boiling hot coffee. No reason, no relation, no just ran up and committed this crime. I think parents have every right to be as vigilant as they possibly can be, regardless of the age of their kid.
Speaker 2: I wish i'd been tracking my son when we're in New York and I lost him in What's What's the park.
Speaker 3: Park in New York. We're bike riding, and I lost him for forty minutes. Eventually I saw a.
Speaker 2: Police card down the road and some kid with a bike and the bike was being put in the boot. I thought my son I got there. Fortunately it was him, but my son was mad because he said Dad, I was just thinking about to get a ride in an NYP.
Speaker 8: So is less concerned.
Speaker 7: Happy to mail child though as well, because you know, if it's a girl, you are just on the highest of alerts.
Speaker 8: And that is what Mia, the Tyndall's eldest child is. So I don't blame them one bet.
Speaker 2: We're going to go to a break, but stick around when we come back with what's making news in the papers tomorrow.
Speaker 3: That's alone.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's take a look at what's making news tomorrow and for Tasmanians, you are going to love the front page of the Mercury.
Speaker 3: It's pretty good, is it?
Speaker 1: Casey Oh, this is the best news ever.
Speaker 6: What council stopwork could mean to you? No finding zones as the headline. The Hobart City Council is facing a substantial hit to its revenue as a dispute between staff and management threatens to boil over into industrial action, which could include work stoppages and a refusal.
Speaker 1: To collect parking fines from the community. How good is this? We should see a lot more of this now.
Speaker 6: The problem here is because the workers are complaining about the pay rise they've been offered, which is three percent. They want a bit more and so in response they said, we'll bugger it. We're not going to find people for overstaying. They're welcome in parking spots.
Speaker 1: Good, let's have this all the time.
Speaker 6: I'm imploring, and you know, normally I wouldn't be here, you know, shouting out the unions and saying how great they are and how good it is to have strikes. But I'm saying every council worker in the country should go on strike tomorrow and threaten to not collect parking fines in order to get a pay rise, because I'm pretty sure they're going to praie rise quick, smart and we'll all be able to enjoy it from.
Speaker 8: More industrial action.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Here first, on the Lake debate last week, we were talking about the Victorian police force who wants a pay rise from the Victorian government which has no money.
Speaker 8: So good luck with that boys.
Speaker 7: But they have said, well, we're just not going to give out parking fines I mean speeding fines rather. So Victorians rejoice because as long as it's industrial action is in place by.
Speaker 8: The cops, maybe you can travel a little bit faster on your roads these days.
Speaker 2: I just want to use this opportunity to encourage in your South Wales police you need more money, especially traffic branch.
Speaker 13: Yeah, you need to put it down absolutely to the front page of the OARS Now steggle Teals demand seventy five percent emissions reductions, that is by twenty thirty five.
Speaker 7: Zalie Stegel has led Teal MPs in calling for a twenty thirty five emissions reduction target of seventy five percent to be set by February, in line with Anthony Albanesi's own timeline, declaring Australia quote must go from being a laggard to a leader in climate action end quote.
Speaker 8: God forbid.
Speaker 7: But here we have the Teals and the Greens really starting to reveal their ridiculous terms for if you guys get a hung parliament and you guys need a bedfellow in US, here's our terms of engagement.
Speaker 8: What I can't get over is why they're doing it this early on in the peace.
Speaker 7: I would wait until labor is in that jam before you lay your terms on the table and say, well, either you're paying it or you're not.
Speaker 8: Well, you don't want us to do a deal with you.
Speaker 6: Doesn't really matter whether you say it now or then. Labor may well be in the same position, right If these are the people they have to negotiate with, these are the people they have to negotiate with.
Speaker 1: And clearly they are so.
Speaker 6: Confident that we're going to have a hung parliament that they're like, well, bugger it, let's just put it out there now.
Speaker 1: Let it swim around for a while. Scare Albanisi a.
Speaker 6: Little bit, because what they would hope is that either they get their way in terms of a hung parliament or Albanizi is scared into implementing these policies before the election.
Speaker 1: Either way, it doesn't really matter to them, right.
Speaker 6: But the best possible scenario here maybe is that Albanize does get the support of the Green of the teals it is a total disaster three years on from now, and then you'll have coalition rain for fifteen years after that.
Speaker 2: There's another possibility here, and that is like, if it's a hung parliament, then they will be front page headlines, right because they'll have the deciding factor. But if there's not a hung parliament, then they need to make headlines now while it could be a possibility.
Speaker 3: Because otherwise they're completely irrelevant.
Speaker 2: So there is that. The scary thing is she's not just saying seventy five percent missions reduction. She's saying at least that's the minimum they're asking for, so God help us if that ever eventuates. Let's go to the front page of tomorrow's Herald Son Cops and Bludgers reads the headline controversial Greens MP Gabrielle d Vitry has been slammed for ditching parliament to join an anti war rally, while taxpayers fork out up to fifteen million dollars for police to try to keep the public safe. Now, as of tomorrow, there's a government sponsored weapons expo taking place in Melbourne, one eight hundred extra police officers being deployed to keep the peace, and of course those police officers would normally be issuing speeding fines or keeping the public safe, but they're all being as I said, diverted to mark this protest. And you've got a Greens MP who's being paid to be in Parliament representing her constituents, but she's taking the day off just to be a very highly paid protest. You wouldn't expect anything less from a Green's member though, would.
Speaker 7: You No, But this is a grave dereliction of duty. You are not paid to protest on Parliament's time. You're paid to be in there representing the people who elected you to that halloed authoritative.
Speaker 8: Place in our nation.
Speaker 9: And here she is.
Speaker 8: I mean, nobody's.
Speaker 7: Surprised, right because it's a Greens MP and they seem to be able to do whatever radical thing they want to do, and everyone goes, oh well, it's just the Greens, but different rules seem to apply to them.
Speaker 8: It's expected from these guys.
Speaker 1: But it shouldn't be.
Speaker 8: And she can make a much more.
Speaker 7: She could make headlines if she just made the stand in Parliament on the floor of the chamber as opposed to rocking up.
Speaker 8: But this is why she did it right. She got the headline and.
Speaker 3: She also mind a protest.
Speaker 2: She was suspended from Parliament for two days when Parliament was interrupted by climate activists and she took a selfie in parliament with the activists. Refused to apologize in that two days. Quickly, while we're on the Herald's son, there's another good story on the front page. Rise of teen crims. Teen crooks are breaking into teen cooks are breaking into ten times the number of homes than when Labour came to power, amid an explosion in youth crime. Ten to seventeen year old burglars have surged from one hundred and nineteen cases in twenty fifteen to one thy two hundred and thirty in the latest financial year, and then offenses by children aged twelve to fourteen through the roof as well.
Speaker 3: Just another day in Melbourne, really.
Speaker 1: Indeed up on a thousand percent would you believe it?
Speaker 8: Sorry?
Speaker 6: On the front of the Daily Telegraph tomorrow shoots a hole right through this plan to build so many houses. Massive public infrastructure projects like the Metro, schools and hospitals will need to go on the back burner if the government is to meet its ambitious five year housing target. A Landmark report has found, what a surprise. On current forecasts, they need to build three hundred and thirtieth three hundred and seventy seven thousand. Current forecasts are that they'll only hit one hundred and seventy two thousand.
Speaker 1: But isn't this great.
Speaker 6: We've got to stop the major infrastructure projects that will service the people in all of these new.
Speaker 1: Houses that we are going to build, so we can build all of the new houses.
Speaker 6: Maybe it proves, after all that we have too many people in this country at the moment and we can't keep up with the infrastructure. If only there was a way.
Speaker 1: To do something about that. What is it, Oh, you could turn the migration tap on. What a novel idea? Hey, so novel?
Speaker 2: Well, quickly we'll do the courier mail. Health gains up in smoke. Decades of work to drive down tobacco. You some Australia is at risk of going up in smoke with shocking new research revealing today's generation of child vapors we're up to twenty nine times more likely to become smokers.
Speaker 3: Kayleb, you've got strong opinions on this, giving me.
Speaker 6: If they didn't jack the tobacco excise up so much, there wouldn't be a black market that allows kids to walk into any shop by a vape.
Speaker 1: Government, you've done it yourselves, your dopes.
Speaker 2: We're going to go to a break, but stick around when we come back. The new Queensland government health campaign encouraging workers to.
Speaker 3: Do a poo at the office. Seriously, that's coming up in a moment.
Speaker 2: We all understand that governments wage campaigns to improve public health than many of you would remember the Life being a campaign which was brilliant. Well, this one is not like that one. The Queensland Government have launched a campaign called and I quote It's okay to pooh at work. They say in the campaign lots of people find it difficult to poo in public toilets. We're here to tell you it's okay to go number two at work. Then they number of Health problems that result if you don't exercise your bow regularly. The campaign is said to try to overcome people's and I quote Pooh paranoia. People apparently are afraid to go to the toilet at work because they'll be judged by the sounds and the smells that they make. Here is the campaign, I just want to be.
Speaker 3: Can I just say?
Speaker 2: The lyric is I just want to be part of your symphony? Will you hold on tight and not let you go? I'm just not sure that really works.
Speaker 1: I'll just finish with this.
Speaker 2: They actually advertise here's a tip. Remember that everyone poops. Visualize someone famous on the toilet like Taylor Swift. This is government advice in Queensland.
Speaker 1: Is that where she writes her songs or something? I don't know.
Speaker 6: Look, you know they can't get anyone into a hospital, but they can tell you to put work do it on company time. Getting paid to go to the toilet is my advice. But that's not the only thing people are holding in The coppers in the UK Mail coppers specifically.
Speaker 1: Are struggling with crushed testicles. Would you believe it?
Speaker 6: Because they discovered that the uniforms were sexist.
Speaker 1: This is from a recent news report.
Speaker 6: It says the idea for unisex uniforms follows a study last year at Lancaster University Law School which found that police uniforms were designed by and for men's sexist uniforms, so.
Speaker 1: They had to be unisex.
Speaker 6: But however, speaking about the latest survey, Goodwin told The Sun during a survey gwint mail police officers complained of experiencing crushed testicles because presumably they're wearing women's pants.
Speaker 1: How good is this?
Speaker 6: So you've got to go to the toilet when you're at work. We haven't worked out that you can do that. And if you're a copper your testicles are getting crashed. No wonder people aren't signing up with the police force any more.
Speaker 1: Good heavens.
Speaker 2: I genuinely am afraid to look at the news. To me, who knows what it will bring? That's it from us stick around. Coming up is the Reader Penning Show.