Speaker 1: I'll get a term. It's a you project. It's Patrick James and Tiffany Anne and Craig Anthony. It's your favorite podcast in the world. You're welcome and here we are for free. Fuck it, We're not going to charge you this time. You're welcome. The giggling Gerdy as my mum would call her, giggling Gerdy. Up in the top left corner on my screen is Tiffany Ann Cook, who doesn't have any typ representation behind her as usual, which is fucking shit. Hi, TIV, Well, she's on the U Project being paid by the U Project. No U Project paraphernal. You're behind her?
Speaker 2: Do you know?
Speaker 3: When it's time to do our Patrick recordings, I get this sensation that I used to get when I was going on a sleep over with my friends when I was in primary school.
Speaker 1: Fucking hell, could you expand on that a bit?
Speaker 3: You know, it's just feel like, you know, I've packed in my sleeping bag and we're about to get up to mischief. When I used to do that, or used to me and my friend we had she had this massive staircase that went down from the attic. It was carpet and we used to get our sleeping bags and make a sled out of it and go on our knees and slide down. And we used to get in trouble so much. And that's how I feel. I feel like you're my new that friend.
Speaker 1: Well, we can just slide down Patrick's METAPHORICX staircase. I might let you two go first, because my knees might not fucking cope.
Speaker 2: Not I'm Patrick, but on my staircase it's a wooden with sharp edges. You would end up with no knees, raw timber, no cup in sight.
Speaker 1: As life up in the sticks, up in the wilderness. How is it up there?
Speaker 2: It's so windy that it would blow the milk out of your coffee.
Speaker 4: It has been blowing a treat.
Speaker 2: I had cuting put on the side of my garage as my big mega rebuild because I'm setting up my Thai cheese studio and a little podcasting area.
Speaker 4: And insulation was there waiting for the cladding.
Speaker 2: And then suddenly get up by morning and there's insulation all over my neighborhood. It's just blown away. It's got in and under the noggins and everything. Because they put it in, they pack it in pretty tight. You know, they don't justly fit it, they make it snug. Well not, that's because it's everywhere and now everybody's sharing my insulation.
Speaker 1: Do you ever think about the etymology of the word noggin because it also it's a colloquialism for head. Yeah, how did that come to be?
Speaker 4: No, you know that's funny.
Speaker 2: The builders were doing their work at one point and they had to go in there for some reason, and we got talking about building, and then I showed them my hands, and I said, this is the hands of somebody who thinks manual labor as a Mexican unionist, because I've done these hands except type on a keyboard and hold the mouse.
Speaker 1: Well, you and me, You and me both, mate. I mean I've got the hands like a fucking surgeon. That's why God invented trades people people who are who are better. No, I mean they're smart, they're like the crab is. The crab is super handy. Like I always say, if you're ever going to get stuck on an island or lost in the wilderness, do it with a crab because he will build you a house by lunchtime, and I will probably kill you and eat you. So you know, just pick your friends.
Speaker 3: Choose I'd have to choose two people that I would have to choose you to make sure that the crab stays alive. Hahaps the lifeline, perhaps the lifeline.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, that's right. Yeah, you did the whole life, didn't you?
Speaker 1: Who are you? You know? You know in American culture they talk about a little bit, they have this this when they're talking about friends, they say my ride or die. Have you ever heard of that term? Like Patrick's might ride or die? And it just means like, if I ever need anyone, he's my guy or she's my girl. Right, It's like, if I have to go to war, I'm taking Patrick. Now, who's your person? Patrick? Who's your ride or die? Other than us two? Which are obvious choices one and two? Me one tif two? Of course, who's your right or die?
Speaker 5: That person that because I love this idea of someone that it wouldn't matter if your life was going great or shit, that you could ring them and you know that it doesn't matter what's in.
Speaker 1: It for them, there's nothing in it for them. They're going to show up.
Speaker 2: I've got a good maid of mine who actually is now in Europe and landed this morning and was just texting me at the baggage carry a place because Edie's girlfriend are there, and I think Tom's got me at I hit a kangaroo just maybe three months after buying the first brand new carb ever board. Well, Thomas, you can ring at two am in the morning and he will come out with his four wheel drive and rescue you.
Speaker 4: So he's a go to guy. But I've got to say this.
Speaker 2: A friend of mine, her husband is the most practical person.
Speaker 4: I think a bit like the crab.
Speaker 2: He told me once he was out in the middle of the bush, got a flat tire and no problem, changes the flat, then got another flat tire. Do you know how he keeps driving? He put grass inside it. He just stuffed it inside the tire. You know you get the outer, harder layer and hump up bit. Well, he just shoved it full of grass and he was able to drive on it. Who would think of doing that?
Speaker 1: Not me? I would have been dead and the animals would have been feasting on my rotting carcass by lunchtime the next day. Who's your right or die? Tif that you'll go to You're in the middle of any situation they're the person for you that you could rely on.
Speaker 3: Late Corney Devine. She lives in Perth now, but oh my god, luck she it would be capable of doing absolutely anything anything.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's a Swiss Army knife of humans.
Speaker 1: There's this movie with Ben Affleck I think it's called The Town Ben Affleck and Jeremy Renner, and there's this scene in it where Ben Affleck walks into this room and Jeremy Renner is sitting in a chair. I think they're either brothers or best mates, and Ben Affleck says something like, Okay, I need you. We've got to go. We've got to hurt some people. We've got to hurt some people. It won't be pretty and we can never talk about it ever again. And Jeremy Renner goes, whose car are we taking? I'm like, I love that. I'm not one for violence, but I just love that scene. All right, mate, let's talk about let's talk about the stuff that you're here for. What do you want to enlighten us with today?
Speaker 2: I need to ask you all to remove your phones from the room. Can you just take them out and hide them somewhere out of earshot? This is really important. Because we don't want anybody listening to what we're talking about.
Speaker 4: I'll wait a minute, run, don't we I.
Speaker 1: Was actually about to walk out and put my phone out on the fucking stairs.
Speaker 4: I saw you're reaching for it.
Speaker 1: I'm I'm holding it. I'm like, oh, okay.
Speaker 2: Well, we've all been in this situation where we've been with people and they've said, oh, I was using my phone. I was talking to people the other day, and all of a sudden, when I got onto my phone, ads start serving up on things we were talking about. I've never searched for them before, but I'm talking about cladding. All of a sudden, I'm getting ads for cladding. I'm talking about a new car, Suddenly ads for new cars. Now it's you know, it wasn't an urban myth. Have you had that happen to you before, Suddenly ads coming up? Well, evidently this is a one of Facebook's major partners. So an advertising agency has report admitted that they actually listen to people and spy on their conversations through smartphones, and they curate ads based on the conversations. Now, this is it's not just a random kind of article that was published. And the thing is that when you think about it, when you give access to an app on your phone, you have the option to say, give access to my photos and microphones while I'm using the phone.
Speaker 4: You know, when you give permission.
Speaker 2: So technically, yes, if you've given permission to Facebook and Instagram to access your microphone and photos, then that's what the go is. But this is a new report. It's from an organization called four oho four Media and they reckon. They've got a hold of documents that were leaked to them and one of their reporters, and it's called active Listening and it's software that uses they know AI.
Speaker 4: We talk about AI all the time, but it captures.
Speaker 2: Real time what they call intent data by listening to conversations. This is a frightening thought. I mean, I don't actually have Facebook on my phone. I do have Insta though, so potentially they still could be listening. But isn't that a really frightening prospect that your phones could be spying on you?
Speaker 1: Well? Think about also yet, one fucking yes, Patrick, Two, Like, how many of us read the terms and terms of agreement? Like when it's like I buy a new app, right and there's seventy two pages of like agree tick next, like you don't know what you just agreed to. I'd love the There's probably no actual real data on how many people read that shit go through it, and even if you did read it, how much would you totally understand? But I guess we are unwittingly be becoming accomplices in they're endeavors to spy on us because we accept it.
Speaker 2: And we give it away for free. Because we're getting it for free. You know, use Google, it's free, we use Facebook, it's free. So all of these features and all of these big multi trillion dollar companies are giving us this stuff for free.
Speaker 4: There's got to be a payoff somewhere.
Speaker 2: So the leaked documents evidently from an organization called the Cox Media Group and the TV Radio Giant, but their clients include Facebook, Amazon, Google, so the big advertising trio going on there. So it does make you really wonder and I don't know, a bit paranoid. We should turn our phones off regularly, and that's a good thing, even from an operational perspective, that it's good to turn your phones off and on on a regular basis as well, But it's and I mean powering it down, not just turning it off and on powering. It's another way to apply all the fixes and all the software updates as well.
Speaker 4: You need to turn your phone off to do that. But yeah, so there you go. Folks, room careful what you're saying.
Speaker 2: If you happen to be working for Asio, you might want to just consider getting a dumb phone, not a smartphone.
Speaker 1: Can I share an anecdote that's it's related, but it's not. Yeah, So here's here's my story. Notice I didn't wait for permission from either from of you, but thank you. So now this is going to sound like I'm making it up, but this is true. This is absolutely hand on heart true. So not yesterday, the day before I was talking to I was on the phone talking to a friend of mine, Russ, who you both know. Russ my friend, and we were talking about the perception of value. Like one of my just little quirky fascinations is the psychology of value. How people will pay, you know, ten thousand dollars for a sketch that some person did on a surveyette because that person's famous. But I could do a relatively brilliant piece of art that people wouldn't pay one hundred bucks for because I'm not an artist, you know, so that whole the psychology of oh but you know, and we're talking about this, and I said, and we're talking about like even down to so if Tiff goes and does a corporate event, So TIFF's profile and brand has grown, the perception of value around her has grown in the last few years since she's gone from not doing corporate to doing corporate. She's getting bigger and better, more well known, more in demand. So her hourly rate is going up. Now, her hourly rate might go up exponentially, like times five, while her skill goes up times two, right, which is this is normal? And I was giving this example to Russ and I said, look, imagine, imagine if Banksy. You two know who Banksy the artist is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, of course absolutely.
Speaker 1: If do you know who banks is, it doesn't matter. So Patrick and a lot of our listeners do. So he's a very well known kind of street artist, and no one knows who he is. And anyway, so I said, imagine if I did a Banksye and it was it was identical, like, let's just say it was the same painting. And so Banksy did a Banksy and then I did one and it was on the same material and it was identical, and people would pay one hundred grand for Banksy's banksy, but they wouldn't pay one hundred bucks for my banksy.
Speaker 4: Right to clean it off exactly.
Speaker 1: Anyway, we're having this conversation about, you know, perception of value and what people think they're getting and what they'll pay for. So it's what they think they're getting versus what they're getting. Now, while I'm on the phone to get I can hear a chime a message, and I'm like, oh, it's from the Crab. Of course, the Crab sends me fifty things a day, usually conspiracy theories. But anyway, I get off the phone and I go, this is not a fucking word of a lie. I get off my phone and the crabs sent me this thing. And it's about this dude. It's a true story. I've got the video. I can send it to both you. It's about this guy at this it's almost like a Victoria market thing where there's this market. There's this old guy and he's got this stall and he's selling in inverted Comma's original bankses. Right, so he's got about twenty Banksies and he's selling them all for like sixty bucks each, and people are coming along and like not fucking real, and they're haggling with him. They look good, but and you know, so this lady bought a couple for thirty dollars each. She bargained him down, and as it turned out, it was an experiment that himself had organized. And they were all authentic bankses, right, So all of the art was original and authentic. But because of the context, which is an old bloke at a market and he was telling everyone these are real, these are authentic, nobody believed him. Nobody would pay for them. And then this lady who happened to be I think from New Zealand, she bought the two for thirty dollars each. She sold each of those thirty dollars purchases for one hundred thousand dollars each. Now that tells you now that that's what fucking fascinates me about the human brain, the mind perception value. What you think, You've literally got a real Banksy that you can buy for sixty dollars and you're saying no. Yet the other person who thinks that it is a real banks he might think it's a bargain for fifty thousand dollars, So fucking how amazing is that? And that was while I was on the phone to Russ talking about fraudulent banks. Is that the crab sent that? I went to the gym and I told him. He's like, that's fucking I go. I don't.
Speaker 2: I can't even explain that. That's because the crab is listening in. He's obviously got spywear on your phone and he just listens.
Speaker 1: To Obviously the crab is Facebook.
Speaker 2: Is Facebook's the metab.
Speaker 3: The crab.
Speaker 1: The crabs is about as high tech as a bowl of fruit.
Speaker 4: He's the guy.
Speaker 1: I love the crab. The crab.
Speaker 4: What he lacks in technology, he makes up for him.
Speaker 3: Personality is the crab.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Vin and the Crab.
Speaker 4: I'm lucky.
Speaker 1: I've got a couple.
Speaker 4: Me too.
Speaker 1: I'm bin's my ride or die. The crab is. I've got a few, you know, like those guys. There's one guy that used to work for me. His name's Aaron. Get off this in a moment. He knows who he is and he's just the you remember Asa from Harper's Patrick, Aaron, you'd know him. This guy is just the most loyal, fucking hard like if you go, if I rang him and go mate, you and I go on a war. He's like, I'll be there in ten minutes.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: It's just like that that same bed affleck Jeremy Rana thing. But yeah, I'm lucky, I've got about I don't have heaps of friends. I reckon, I have ten good friends in the world, like really good. And then there's a big dropper. Yeah, but I'm happy with my ten.
Speaker 4: I'm wondering, we're tiff and I.
Speaker 1: You two have gone to.
Speaker 2: Drop.
Speaker 3: It's a big drop. If I'm eleven, I may as well just pack up the bag.
Speaker 1: She's adding up all my friends. Now she's going, Okay, there's Russ, there's Melissa, there's the there's been there's not many spots left.
Speaker 4: What about nine? Tip? What did you get to nine?
Speaker 1: And it's you or me? Yeah, here for this spot. Unscrewed, youre bastards. Let's keep moving forward.
Speaker 2: Talking about money and value and all that sort of stuff. There's an interesting article I read this week about why Australians are falling victim to subscription traps. So while I was sitting waiting for the show to start, I jumped into my bank account, and I thought, how many things have I subscribed to? And I'm not talking about work related stuff. This is just social stuff. And because I watched TV or streaming, maybe I'm lucky to watch two nights a week. I'm pretty busy. I don't turn the TV on it mainly just the weekends. Or I flick through a bit of YouTube. And so I looked through my subscriptions Prime Paramount, Amazon, YouTube, Apple Plus and Order book Right seventy dollars ninety five. So seventy one bucks a month is going to services where I may use one of them all week. And the problem is, see, I've done it well. I do a bit of sharing with some friends. I'm later I shouldn't admit that, should I? But the problem is I don't want to drop off because I want Disney through one of my friends, and she supplies Disney, and my brother and sister in law provide Netflix.
Speaker 4: So we do a spot for the other services.
Speaker 2: So I feel obliged not to cancel them because other people are allying them.
Speaker 4: So other people are.
Speaker 2: Using my subscriptions and I don't use them because I want to use their subscriptions that I don't use.
Speaker 1: I think you just admitted to a I'm just writing down mine. I've got Amazon, Netflix, Stan, Apple, Audible Chat GPT four is like twenty five a month or something, and that's off. That's six off the top of my head. What about YouTube?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've got the most intense spreadsheet of my life that tells me every dollar I earn. Ever, it's color coded in categories, whether it's a business subscription or a life subscription. I've got Netflix and Audible. Netflix comes on and off throughout the year. It's currently on, and the rest of my subscriptions are all under the business category. So I'm pretty good, maybe because I don't have a lie. I don't watch the Netflix, but I do this in Audible a lot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, me too.
Speaker 1: You know the moment that I get rid of it, then I want to watch something and I'm like ill. Just it's like the gym membership that you're always I know, I'm not going at the moment, but I'll be going soon, you know, Jim Owners rely on that, that idea that people have that they'll be back at the gym soon. It's not today, but it'll be soon. So I'll keep paying my subscription calories.
Speaker 3: Knowing you have a subscription to the gym exactly.
Speaker 4: No gim owner wants all their members to turn up at once.
Speaker 1: I remember seeing this sign out the front of Snap where I train, and it said something like it was trying to get people through the door, and it was like, thinking about getting in shape doesn't actually burn any calories or something like that, but ironically it does. Cognition is the most expensive like energy consumer. It's like twenty percent of our energy per day goes on cognitions. So the brain, which weighs about one point three kilos, think about that. That's you know, maybe one and a half percent of a typical person's weight, one and a half percent, and it uses twenty percent of our energy. That's a very expensive data processor.
Speaker 4: Certainly is certainly is Hey, Patrick.
Speaker 1: It can be less interesting. I know Patrick, since everyone let me describe Patrick. Everyone. He's got his hands behind his head with his eyes glazed. He's reading something, and then he comes in. I didn't he didn't pay attention to.
Speaker 2: I was thinking that I need to exercise more because to make up for the less brain work.
Speaker 1: Oh, that is funny.
Speaker 4: I was just thinking people like this.
Speaker 1: People like this show. I wonder why it's so fucking people go, oh you Tiff and Patrick, that's the favorite. I'm like, why not.
Speaker 4: Using any calories listening? Are they?
Speaker 1: No? No? Sorry mate, go ahead.
Speaker 2: So I was getting back to the subscriptions, and I just it made me realize that if you're really canny about this, because I've got a friend of mine, what they do is they drop in and drop out and they binge, so they'll drop out of the membership, they'll sign up again, get a free month or a free fortnight, binge for that fortnight, and then turn it off and they pay nothing and here am I and here are we or forking out like you know, one hundred bucks a month. But I think you need to be a bit smarter, I guess about those subscriptions because it can bite you in the pocket. And while everyone's trying to tighten the belt a little bit, I thought it was a really good idea to maybe have a bit of a look, set up a spreadsheet. So I did a spreadsheet. I'm pretty proud of myself. TIF you'd be proud of me. It's color coated as well. The line figure is in green with red letters, So there you go. That stands out.
Speaker 1: What's the one thing that each of you knowingly waste money on. And by waste money, I just mean spend money on something that it maybe it gives you joy, but you don't need it. It's like, what's the what's the like? For me? Clearly it's fucking motorbikes, right, I just have historically waste wasted stupid money on things I often don't ride. What about you, TIF, what's your what's your number one money wasted?
Speaker 3: I'd say, well, that motorbike I bought hits the list. But aside from that, I do like to eat out. So when I eat out, like breakfast in that I don't go for the cheapest just to be you know, because I love eating. I think I've always invested in eating out.
Speaker 1: I love it. Well, that's that's not a waste though, because it gives you joy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's always with people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I think that's a good investment. What about you, Patrick.
Speaker 2: James, I'm a bit of a sucker for gadgets, you know, tooth cleaning stuff.
Speaker 3: That's on the list.
Speaker 2: Just for those people who don't remember, I talk tip into buying the Miracle Bloody teeth whitening cleaning thirty seconds the top and bottom.
Speaker 4: And it was shit, wasn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, appreciate only sixty bucks.
Speaker 2: Actually I might only cost me thirty bucks. Now, look, I'm a bit of a sucker for gadgets. I love gadgets. But the other thing that's I feel really funny admitting this. I bought a fountain pen in Europe for a thousand. In your ows, it's not yeah, yeah, that's fountain peen.
Speaker 1: Thousand and that's like two thousand Australian dollars, right.
Speaker 4: A little bit less, but yeah close. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well what had happened was I've got some free accommodation while I was traveling. I had all these euros burning a hole in my pocket, and a friend of mine who really loves to encourage me to buy stuff, and I was at the airport and I saw I fell in love with this pen.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 2: It's a beautiful, beautiful, handcrafted fountain pen. It was a limited release, one of only twenty five. And I love writing with a fountain pen. I write with one every day. It's you know, I have a month long fountain pen. And anyway, so yeah, so I bought a pen. It was probably the most frivolous act of spending extreme spending up everyone.
Speaker 1: All right, let's let's do a one eighty on that, and let's go, what's the thing that you bought that could have potentially been shit which turned out to be a great investment, like the one where it might have been just something you bought and you went, fuck, this is really good. It only I'm actually throwing myself under the bus here. But Tiff bought me these gear thing is, which I don't have in at the moment. Sorry, Tiff, I just forgot. But I think they're only like thirty bucks or something, Thank you, Tiff, But they're really fucking good, like but thirty dollars a really good investment. So yeah, I'm very I didn't even pay for those, so for me that was zero so fucking best of all time? Thanks TIV. What about you, Patrick?
Speaker 2: I was trying to think of stuff that hasn't really cost a lot of money, that brings a lot of joy or is really useful.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm struggling a little bit. I don't know. I tend to.
Speaker 2: As I said, gadgets are such a big part of my spend. I did buy something, you know, I get sucked into stuff all the time. I bought a thing called a rock block once on one of those crowdfunding websites, and what it was was a rectangle. It was a record player, but instead of you putting the vinyl on top, you know, and a needle on top and play a record normally, it was like a little car with a needle with a Bluetooth connection and it drove around the record.
Speaker 1: OK when you said rock block, I thought you said something else. But okay, okay, tipfoot about you.
Speaker 3: Mine is this bad boy all right here? Remarkable. It was cost me a fortune. It was like seven hundred bucks or something. But I love I loved it. I love it.
Speaker 1: Tell people what we'll tell people what it is and the application because maybe someone needs Do you know who told me yesterday? She the exact same words were Karly Taylor. She got one from Paul for I think her birthday and she absolutely loves it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's just a it's a digital notebook and or a digital paper. I don't know what you call it, but ink ink yeah, and no other functions. So not an iPad, no notifications, no bullshit. It just replaces a pen and paper book. It's brilliant, it's so good.
Speaker 1: But people are gone, So what why don't I just use a pen and paper. I think you're not telling the whole story.
Speaker 3: Well, because you don't have to. You don't have shit everywhere. You can file it away if you can, you can pay it.
Speaker 1: But you're not telling people that you can upload it and stuff. Right.
Speaker 3: Well, I was getting to that but interrupting you. If you pay the subscription, which I did for a while and then I stopped, you can email directly from it. You can change your handwriting into text. It's got different formats and backgrounds. And I have got an email yesterday talking about some exciting new release which I didn't read because I still love the one I've got and I don't want to get stucked into buying something new. But they've probably innovated it further. Now I've got the Remarkable too, but for just a simple basic thing that seems really expensive for what you're getting. Like as soon as I got I thought, I'm going to have buyer's remorse, but I'm pretty sure there was a pretty lengthy return policy, which is why I got it. And as soon as I got it, I went, this is a just to have a clean desk, not having bits of paper everywhere for all your note taking. So good.
Speaker 1: I'm going to shut up after this and let Patrick run his show because it's his show. But my last thing, which I didn't buy either, my mum bought. Now. This is the woman who bought me a concrete gorilla once right to put in my garden, So she's pretty bad at choosing shit. By the way, that concrete gorilla that had a flat bottom weighed about fucking ten k's so it sat in the bamboo for a while. Then I think I gave it away. But Mary bought me a backscratcher, which is essentially like you know the area on your car that you extend the old fashion ones. So it's got a scratchy like little handle on one end and it goes from about six inches to about two feet or whatever. That is one hundred and fifty mil to like six hundred milk. Because I'm a bit of a Neanderthal and I cannot scratch in between my shoulder blades. It's the perfect gift. It's the gift that keeps on. I use that motherfucker every day because it's either that or rub up against a tree, and I don't have any trees. Inside.
Speaker 2: Hey, have you ever used an orgasmotron? Studdn silence el, I'm usually the one. No, I know what is an orgasmotron. It's if you can imagine like these wires that basically sit on a handle and you put it over your head and move it up and down and it just rubs and massages your head.
Speaker 4: Have you seen it.
Speaker 2: I'm sure you've seen them that There's got lots of little filaments on them and they form like a claw and you just shit down over your head and you move it up and down and it runs through the people who've got hair, and it runs through it just massages your head. It was a I think that it was called the brand was called a gaze Matron.
Speaker 4: I thought. I'm trying to remember where I bought it from. And it's an amazing head massage.
Speaker 1: It is a studio album by it's an album by Motorhead or gas Matron.
Speaker 4: Tried typing all Gazmetron head massage or.
Speaker 1: Gas Matron head. This is great fucking listening for our listeners. This is sorry everyone. Okay, yeah, there's a mish Okay, there's like five dollar ones, twenty dollars ones all. There's battery operated ones. Okay, Oh there are ones with lights on them too. Okay, now all right, the mind boggers. I love a good massage. I'm a massage slut, so I might have to invest in one of those.
Speaker 4: Especially, get the cheap one, the five, all the one, you'll be.
Speaker 1: Right whatever, I'll just all right.
Speaker 4: I wonder if they have sizes just to fit your head.
Speaker 1: Just think, what are you saying? I reckon your head's got my mister potato head in size fits all?
Speaker 6: All right, move on, I think I look, while we're talking about money and all that sort of stuff, scamming, I picked up on a scam recently where people are putting fake listings on like your Airbnb type platforms, and it kind of stands to.
Speaker 2: Reason it's probably not a bad idea to contact people directly once you've made a booking, because what scammers are doing is they're taking all the images and just reposting the property online and getting people to pay their deposit and then just taking the money because it's so Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's is just getting a slipperer and slipperier slope, isn't that mate?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So just it's one of those be wary when you're booking. Always good to talk to people. I tend to like to contact people directly when you know I'm booking stuff. But I'm just thinking that it's not over the phone. You do use the messaging system in the app, don't you.
Speaker 1: So I got off to do a speaking gig in South Africa, like all expenses paid, blah blah blah, we'll fly And I'm like cool, and they're like, I said, yeah, okay, I'm interested. Let's do a zoom call. Nah nothing, Yeah, I'm sure. So like, let's set up a zoom call so we can chat and crickets. Now, tell me about that was only the week before last. Tell me about which reminds me of my childhood. Gen Z being obsessed with buying cassette tapes.
Speaker 4: Oh, this is so funny, because of course gen z is don't know how to use a rotary phone, they don't know how to use vinyl, they don't know how to use cassette players.
Speaker 2: But they're getting all retro interested and so the funny story the article I read was this young girl put on a cassette and then wanted to skip through to a track and thought, how do I get to the next track because it's all on the loop.
Speaker 4: So I just chuckle to myself.
Speaker 2: So it's we take a lot of the stuff for granted to those of us who you know, lived life of cassette players and doing mixtapes and all that sort of stuff. But nowadays used to just send someone a Spotify playlist, but to go from you know, song one on the album to the last song on the album, you had to fast forward.
Speaker 4: And it's just.
Speaker 2: Not computing for young people who are used to just skipping and pushing and jumping from one thing to another, and it just tickle them a fancy that you know, retros come back. If you can use it, you've got to go back to Grandpa to ask how to use it.
Speaker 1: Isn't it funny? How like for maybe one hundred years we had vinyl and then it just rocketed from that to you know, cassettes to blue was it blue whatever? Then we had the CDs. That's right, Hey, I'm watching this show speaking of technology, which David Gillespie recommended. Just from the point of view of looking at it's basically like stepping into a time capsule. So there's a show called Friday Night Lights and it starts The first season is two thousand and six, and it's have set in this little town with this high high school football team, which is a big deal, and all the myriad of social constructs around that and all the fucking families and relationships and coaching. But it's two thousand, so it's not set in two thousand and six. It's actually filmed in two thousand and six, so season one is eighteen years old, right, So they're all using these flip phones and they've got iPods, and they think they're fucking living in the future with their iPod and their flip phone. So there's no I think, was it two thousand and eight Patrick the first iPhone?
Speaker 4: Yep?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I think in season two or three, or as I Nellie said, Susan two or three where one of the kids gets an iPhone. But it's just funny watching stuff happen where there's all this stuff going on and nobody's got a phone out filming it, Whereas if it was teenagers now and something was happening, everything would be would be being filmed on their smartphone.
Speaker 2: We'll talking about being filmed on smartphones and privacy. I didn't realize this because they've only started introducing seat belt cameras and phone cameras so that you can detect if a person who's driving a car and hasn't got a seat belt on and is using a phone. But to do that, what they do is they mount the cameras really high and they look down into the car.
Speaker 4: Well, there are.
Speaker 2: Privacy concerns because you know people go for a bit of a scratch or other thing and so.
Speaker 1: Thing, what's the other thing? I know, Sorry, I'm just looking for clarity for the listeners. Gives a story.
Speaker 2: Look, our listeners have active imaginations.
Speaker 4: They can work it out for themselves.
Speaker 2: So the use of these mobile detection and seat belt cameras and particularly they start off in Queensland, but they've raised in the Banana state, I think four hundred and nineteen million dollars in revenue since they were introduced.
Speaker 4: So it's a fair bit of money that's being churned out.
Speaker 2: But our privacy commissions there are saying, well, you know, we know it's illegal, but this concerns because when they take the photos detects whether or not it thinks that they're wearing a seat belt.
Speaker 4: Or they're using a phone.
Speaker 2: But then a human person an operator has to then grab that photo and verify whether there was an infringement. The question is it's believed that some people might be shuffling those photos aside.
Speaker 4: They're not just looking and then throwing away.
Speaker 2: They're kind of holding onto the photos and they have their little black box of oh, there's some funny photos we might send out to our friends, that sort of thing. So that's the concern is there's no legislation in place to protect the privacy of people. If they're using humans for oversight to make sure that the find is justified, then there potentially could be privacy concerns because people could be doing stuff in the car that is not directly related to using a phone or a seat belt.
Speaker 1: No, well, I can't think of anything but thanks. But it reminds me of the old days, Patrick Jones, when you and I were kids and Tiff was just a twinkle of a mum's eye, where we would take a role of film to be developed and then the people at the developing places would look at our fucking photos. I wonder how many copies of some photos got fucking surreptitiously made and then just put in the old blokes pocket.
Speaker 2: And I tell you that one of the best photos of me as a kid that I loved the most because of the thought behind it is there was when Mum passed away, I grabbed all of our family photos that were all in a box, you know, it's like the albums with their stick on the place over the top of them, and I had them all scanned. I had one of my staff and a couple of people that, you know, a couple of guys that were working after school, and I said, right, we're going to scan every single photo high resolution share it with the family. And then I found this photo and it was me just standing at a chemist with like rows of films behind me, and it's like, what a weird photo of me just standing there with a green shirt, just you know, instant kind of at the shot.
Speaker 4: And then it occurred to me, you know what it was.
Speaker 2: Mum's gone to take the camera in to take the photos and realized there was one more exposure left on the camera. So she's just got turned around and said, right, geez, and that was it. So this random photograph that she must have taken when she was getting the film developed when she realized there was one photo left.
Speaker 4: And then there's me's danting at the chemeras looking like an idiot.
Speaker 1: How old are you in that photo?
Speaker 4: Maybe part of me? Maybe eleven?
Speaker 1: I think I think you should do I think that the story around that photo is worth doing something with that photo because that is a really especially because your mum's not here anymore and there's never going to be a version of that again. That's such a good story. I would like to say that do you still have that photo?
Speaker 2: I will grab it for you and I'll send it to you because it's it's actually a super cute photo, but it's you know, the in situus situation, and it really because mum had already passed away, and that was the conclusion that I'd come to. It just made perfect sense that it was the twenty four exposure, twenty three shots have been taken and the person said, oh, you've got one more shot left on the camera, so she's just turned around and taken a shot.
Speaker 4: It's cute, isn't it.
Speaker 1: I think you should put that in the typ Facebook group. Can you do that?
Speaker 2: I will, I'll find it for you. I'll and I'll send it off to post or I'll post it. I'll give it the Tiff and Chicken post it for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that'd be great, all right?
Speaker 2: Moving along, my favorite band, One of my favorite bands is a band out of Las Vegas called Imagine Dragons, and you probably if you don't know them, you would have heard of their songs. They've got millions of songs that have been in movies and the like. But they're going to become the very first band in history to have one of their songs played from the Moon. Now they're not going to the moon and doing a live concert tour or anything, but yeah, just thought i'd clarify.
Speaker 1: That I'm just not good because I was thinking of might get a.
Speaker 4: So what they're going to do.
Speaker 2: It's part of the Lone Star Freedom Mission and they're going to be flying with to the Lunar Pole and then they're going to broadcast one of their songs. And the reason they they picked this particular song, it's called Children of the Sky.
Speaker 4: It's a really great song if you get a chance to listen.
Speaker 2: It was a song that was composed specifically for a game that was a sci fi kind of space adventure game.
Speaker 4: So it was an amazing, really really great game. Great great game to play because it was one of those what.
Speaker 2: They call an open world game where you could travel around and you fly from planet to planet. And the video clip that went with it is so inspirationally beautiful and it's really lovely. It shows a young kid as they grow up and then they go into space. It's really great. So I think it starts off with the kid looking up at a rocket being launched and then eventually he becomes an astronaut, and that's the gist of the video clip with this great soundtrack behind it. But the people who are behind the mission are saying that they want to inspire the next generation of kids to be excited about the future of space and technology, and that's why they chose Children of the Sky. And so they've never performed the song live, and they're going to on October twenty seven. They're going to perform the song for the very first time live. They're not included in their recent tour for some reason. And now that they've announced that they're going to be playing it from the Moon that now they're going to do the song live is at this upcoming concert in Los Angeles, and I just it was kind of cool.
Speaker 4: I like that kind of nerdy stuff.
Speaker 2: It's interesting and fun and just happened to be one of my favorite songs as well from one.
Speaker 1: Of your favorite Why am I not surprised that you love a band called Imagine Dragons. I'm not even sure that you love the music. I think you just love the name either.
Speaker 4: The music's pretty good. I've been to two of their concerts.
Speaker 2: I whenever they tour in Australia, I always make a point to go and watch them play. In the first concert I went to, I was in the mosh pit and it was so loud.
Speaker 4: My clothes were vibrating. You know. My t shirt was just moving forward and backward.
Speaker 1: Now taking a left turn. We revisit electric Is probably every third or fourth episode. But China claims the world's fastest charging av and of course, one of the problems complaints I guess that people have is just the impracticality of using electricity as a funel source, because you know, it takes so long to fill your car so to speak.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a company called Zeka. They claim that the new electric EV batteries charged faster than all of the other rivals, the byds and the Tesla's. They say they can go from ten to eighty percent capacity in ten and a half minutes.
Speaker 4: That's a game changer for a lot of people.
Speaker 2: Isn't it to be able to give yourself a range of an extra three or four hundred kilometers in just ten minutes. That's pretty massive. That to me, particularly people in Australia, is a game changer. And you pointed out I think in a couple of shows ago that Chinese cars are really flooding the market at the moment, and if you can get a decent Chinese electric car with a range like that that can charge up so quickly, that would be phenomenal.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, Well, I mean it's just I think the unknown around or there's a couple, but the Chinese cars are becoming better and better. Like I don't own one, but I wentn't looked at when I was looking for cars a car, I went and looked at quite a few, and I've got to say, the build quality and everything is amazing. Like people go, oh Chinese everyone it says Chinese crap. Most of the people that I've spoken to have never driven one or owned one. And while historically they have had some lemons, as did Korea when they started pushing out Kia and Hayundai, as did Japan when they started pushing out Toyota and Masda, as did everyone, so did America. So did you know Italy with the Alpha Romeo. There's a lot of shit cars, but overall everything is becoming better and better, and there's not many. There's not many cars these days that are bad because if you're producing bad stuff in a time when vehicles have never been more competitive, you're not going to last. So but an interesting thing around this, and I'll shut up after this, is that in Canada and I think the US definitely, in Canada, there's one hundred percent tariff, so if it comes in or tax, So if it's coming in and it's thirty thousand dollars car, it's now sixty thousand dollars. So this is one of the things I hope the Australian government doesn't because we don't have an Australian manufacturer anymore. But what it means is for the end, I'm not particularly partial to any particular nation in terms of car building, but what it means is now, like just from me on Nepean Highway is an MGD SO in Brighton, so they're selling brand new pretty fucking good cars for under thirty grand with a ten year warranty. Now, if you're someone who really struggles financially to be able to buy a new car, you lease it over five years. It might cost you one hundred bucks or one hundred and twenty bucks a week maybe, But you've got a brand new car with ten years warranty. I mean for some people that that is speaking of game changing. You know, that's a game changer.
Speaker 4: I just got to cut out all of my subscriptions and I could afford.
Speaker 1: It exactly exactly. You've got a good car. All right, Let's do two more stories and wind up over one. You tell us where you want to go.
Speaker 4: Did we talk about the space balloon the last time we caught up? I don't know we did. Did we?
Speaker 1: I don't think we did. We may have touched on something, yeah, but let's look, I'm the host and I can't remember, so I can, but then I'm sixty So how.
Speaker 2: This is super exciting because they're talking about launching flights in twenty twenty six. It's the Halo Space is the name of the company, and effectively it's a high tech hot air balloon ish type thing that will take you all the way to the stratosphere, so right on the boundary of space. So you get balloon, you strap yourself in, it goes up up. They're going to leave in Saudi Arabia in a space balloon. And look, it's only you know, one hundred and fifty thousand euro, which is about two hundred and fifty thousand Australian dollars. It'll go up about thirty five kilometers. But to me, I mean, you you're gonna get a bloody good view of the Earth, aren't you at that height?
Speaker 1: And Google at Google Google three, Like, I've got a great view of the Earth on my phone. It's my bloody screensaver. One hundred what is it, two hundred and fifty grand?
Speaker 2: Nah, about two hundred and fifty I think's what about one hundred and fifty euro?
Speaker 1: But you know, I mean, and this is this is like we're talking about perception and value and context. Like for some people that would be the highlight of their life, right, that would be some people would pretty much give up everything to have that experience to go to in inverted Commas space in the stratosphere. Yeah, but not utif with that interest you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, nope, not a bit.
Speaker 1: No, Patrick, if I went Patrick, you could be on board. It's going to cost you thirty grand.
Speaker 2: On thirty grand, yeah, I'll do it, really, Yeah, thirty grand. I wouldn't even question it. I mean one hundred and well, two hundred and fifty thousand. Of course it's never going to happen. But if it was thirty k I'd sign up tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Well, space Travelers, just around the corner and buy around the corner, I mean twenty to thirty years.
Speaker 2: But you know, maybe I think my because I think we've spoken about this.
Speaker 4: I have two bucket lists.
Speaker 2: I have the achievable bucket list and the bucket list that's never going to happen. And the bucket list's never going to happen is walking on the moon, Okay, so that's not going to happen, and listening to a major dragon's evidently, and the other one is my general you know, I I'd like to go to Iceland, and I'd like to go to Paris, you know, those sorts of things that are on that that you know, the standard bucket list that you can achieve. So yeah, Anyway, apparently, apparently Reikiavic, which is the capital of Iceland is fucking amazing.
Speaker 1: One of my friends, so Vinn, my mate, his kid Laura, shout out. She went there kind of and fucking fell in love with it. Like a lot of people who go to Iceland, it's quite a special place, I think, and fuck all, I think, tif can you just have a look at the population of Iceland. I feel like it's five hundred thousand or less, like it's not many people in a very vast expanse.
Speaker 2: When I was in primary school, I think it might have been grade five, I saw a magazine that had a photograph of the Aurora borealis and that's what sparked my interest, because of course going to Iceland is one of those locations where you can see it.
Speaker 4: You get just get the number, tien.
Speaker 3: What says three hundred and eighty one thousand, but then it says that's twenty twenty two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, les, yeah, yeah, And Rakie Pick is like most of that or half of that or something? Yeah, what are they the Northern lights or something?
Speaker 4: There is that in all the lights? Yeah? Or some ounce and almos fire.
Speaker 2: I took a trip to the far northern territories of Canada because you can see them up there as well, and my family, my sister in law and my brother live in Canada, and I went up as far as I could go, So it was two hundred k's out of the Arctic Circle. And I was there for four days and it was overcards. For four days, I couldn't see Jack. And then the next week I left to go home and they had the best aurora display. It was all the way down to the Prairies and Alberta and Gallghery.
Speaker 4: So I missed it.
Speaker 2: So, I mean, I did take some photos and I think I sent them to you when we had the Aurora Australis recently here. But I think I'd love to go to somewhere, you know, like Iceland and check it out.
Speaker 4: That would be pretty cool, wuldn't it?
Speaker 2: And you know what else would be pretty cool is that if you got trapped out in the middle of nowhere and you needed to call for help, Elon Musk might come to the rescue.
Speaker 1: Why go on?
Speaker 4: Okay, So he's now This week there were a.
Speaker 2: Couple of articles saying that he's going to offer free Starlink. So Starlink is his satellite based internet service. He's going to offer free stylink for people stranded in the wilderness. Now that that actually could be useful for me because there are black spots all the way through where I live. My phone drops out constantly, and of course three G is being dropped out in Australia really really soon. Telstranoptus are dropping three G, which means a lot of people living in rural areas could suddenly find themselves without phone coverage.
Speaker 1: You know what's funny is as you were talking about black spots and signal dropping out, you dropped out momentarily, Patrick James, Patrick, James Bonello, Tiffany and Cook. It's always fabulous, Patrick. How can people connect with you? Stay at your joint, come and help you collect the insulation from the adjoining adjacent paddocks and help you rebuild. How can people get involved on Planet?
Speaker 4: You Planet?
Speaker 2: You can go to websites noow dot com dot Au, or you can go to tyechi at home dot com dot Au and do ty chi with me. I've got videos there. You can meet Fritz the Tychie dog. There's lots of ways to connect.
Speaker 1: What's the ETA on the new studio bro.
Speaker 4: So Close I reckon two weeks have ordered the shower screen.
Speaker 2: The toilet can't go in until the tiling's done, and then the clouding gets put on. But the sparkys have been in. All the lights are in. Lads a bit, but no one's own. No, it's really really close. I'm super excited. So you guys are going to have to come down and do some Tai chee with me.
Speaker 1: Speaking of the toilet in the middle of the night, when you have a wee, do you just stand there in the dark and hope it goes in? Or do you sit down?
Speaker 2: I never get up in the at night to go to the toilet. My bladder is so perfectly trained. I never have Yeah, well that's disappointed.
Speaker 4: I don't drink after six o'clock, so I don't have a full bladder.
Speaker 1: I have fucking coffee in bed, So don't do it. I do everyone.
Speaker 4: That's the way you get to the toilet, you do.
Speaker 1: For yeah, probably only get up once.
Speaker 4: But yeah, it's lights on, all lights off.
Speaker 1: I have a bright light and a low light in the bathroom. I put on the bright light and I stand like a fuck an hour for male and get half of it on my feet and half of it in the toilet.
Speaker 2: You know that's funny you say that because I have a lance and a little lantern that I carry down stick.
Speaker 1: Are you one of the seven Dwarfs? What do you mean you have a lantern? Are you a Disney character? The fucking no one has a lantern. It's not eighteen twenty four. You're not in Ballarats, motherfucker lantern. Fuck, I've got a lantern, fucking said no one ever. No one's ever said to me I've got a lantern. It took sixty years. Today's the day. I couldn't be more disappointed.
Speaker 4: In you clarify, please.
Speaker 1: Fo hell, yes, yes, okay, ruddy sleepy doc.
Speaker 4: It's really cool, right.
Speaker 2: The lantern has LEDs in it that glow, and so you hold it by a handle.
Speaker 4: It's a traditional type of lantern.
Speaker 2: If you turn it up the other way, it goes from the bright white to a warm yellow, and then it's got a little slider electronic slider at the top, so you can dim it down or make it bright. So it's not a ye oldie lantern, it's a it's a high tech land.
Speaker 1: Here's a sentence that's never been said. My lantern's really cool. By the way, there's these buttons on the wall and you push them and the light goes on.
Speaker 4: Turned the light.
Speaker 2: Look, mister, I want to be like sunburnt as you get out of bed and take a piss, like why would you turn your lights on so bright that it wakes you?
Speaker 1: Told you I've got a bright and a loan light. The I've got the weeing appropriate light, which is just it's like mood lighting. It's been great. Thanks everyone, Thanks Patrick, Thanks Tiff, great finish. Just we're going so good now, that's not true. We weren't going any any good at any stage.