Speaker 1: Well, it was around ninety ninety five and my partner at the time was a foreign exchange podcast.
Speaker 2: He would have thought that after more than six months of investigations in a podcast series where Hams McLaren's shell shocked victims they bare their pain, we'd heard it all. But with Hamish, there's always more. We published our last episode three months ago, and the human wreckage caused by this one man continues to wash up. This first story goes all the way back to nineteen ninety five, almost a quarter of a century ago, when this woman and her partner whom we'll call Mark, got tangled up with Hamish.
Speaker 1: And it was around the time in Australia where the foreign exchange system was changing and they were getting with his people and putting computers to save money, and he was one of well a lot of foreign exchange brokers. It became entrenched at the time, and as part of his refrenchment sediment, he got a payout which would sort of tied us over for a few months.
Speaker 2: Even back then, Hamish had an innate ability, like a pig to a truffle, to sniff out a redundancy. Hamish proposed a business idea that they import fish and besh de mayor see cucumbers from Tonga and the Pacific Islands to sell to wealthy Asians in Sydney and China. Neither of them had any expertise in fish, but Hamish convinced Mark that it was a good idea. He also convinced him to put up all the money. Turned up to meetings with the Rollics on his wrist, a Swedish model on his arm, but never a wallet in his pocket.
Speaker 1: So we paid to the meal, and after it I said to my partner, I really.
Speaker 3: Don't like this guy.
Speaker 1: There's something about him. I don't find him.
Speaker 3: I don't like it.
Speaker 1: He did talk to talk, and he did seem to have a basic knowledge of what he was talking about to the degree where I couldn't fault it because I didn't have a better knowledge, so I kind of had to go with what It was. Same in terms of importing laws, exporting rules, where you get things from how you important.
Speaker 2: Nonetheless, they all flew off to Tomma Hamish with his Swedish girlfriend and they spent weeks supposedly setting up the business. Their tongue in business partner's name was Tavita Hamish would later steal that name as well. Mark paid for everything, hotels, flights, the wages of fishermen. Hamish's promises of money never eventuated. Things turned sour. Money went missing. When they flew back to see Sidney. Mark's Mercedes Bends had been stolen. Hamish had had the keys. They reported it to police. The car was eventually found abandoned in a parking station with a wad of finds under the wipers. Mark blew his redundancy. Hamish disappeared.
Speaker 1: I just thought it was a run off creek. I didn't think this was going to be the beginning of a beautiful career for him. And then I thought the name of your podcast, and I would I know who the health Hamish is, And it all just sort of came to me in a blinding inspiration with Jerk is the same Urk And so I googled images and it's the same guy.
Speaker 2: And what a beautiful career it would be for Hamish. At least he would go on for a quarter of a century driving porsches, opening gyms, hiring private jets, buying mansions by mountain and by see wooing beautiful women. He never wanted to sleep with all of it with other people's money. And then he disappear, leaving a trail of busted lives and broken marriages.
Speaker 3: And he was alwayes thinking, oh, this is this wido called Hamish that blew into my life. And now I know just like the extent of a conning and corruption that went on.
Speaker 2: Yes, this woman's encounter with Hamish came two decades after his tongue on adventures. This woman was working in investment management and private equity in Sydney when she got an email from a friend.
Speaker 3: I got an email saying, Hey, a guy called Hamish who I know. He's got multi billion dollar hedge fund and he wants to his strength and works with Lisa Hoe and he wants to start he wants to start a private equity fund. But anyway, we met for dinner at the Penderlino restaurant in the Strand Arcade with myself, Hamish and a lady called. But he was always saying to ask that if we do set up this fun you guys all need to put in money to demonstrate our commitments. And now I know what I know, I realize how ridiculous that sounds.
Speaker 2: Hamish would always arrive in a luxury vehicle. He referred to them as his look back cars.
Speaker 3: And you know, Hamish was always you know, talking about you know, he's rather surfing, his love of running. You know, he always had these brand new Porsches.
Speaker 2: He called them.
Speaker 3: He's a book back cars. I said, why are you call them a look back home? Because you know, whenever I walk away, you know, I look back at the car and feel good about the fact that, you know, I've got such a nice car or something like that. So then it was like, oh, what loooks back car has you got today, Hamish? And it was always range over a Porsche or something like that.
Speaker 2: But she became suspicious. She asked to see the details of his investment scheme on paper.
Speaker 3: I asked to see his investmentment around him and I was just a piece of junk. And as soon as I read that document, I thought, right, the next time we go to lunch, I'm in a confront him.
Speaker 2: She went to a lunch meeting with her two friends. She told Hamies she thought his proposal was rubbish, that she didn't believe there are any actual investors in his fund.
Speaker 3: And I remember looking at spaces and both of them completely fighted with Hamish. They sort of looked at me as though I was the crazy one. I said, God, not it.
Speaker 2: That was the last she heard from Hamish. The other woman at the table wasn't so fortunate. Like so many others, she fell under Hamish's spell.
Speaker 3: Hamish developed a relationship with and gave him a million dollars from her super funds.
Speaker 2: The woman lost all her money, her marriage disintegram. She was too embarrassed to go to the police. We contacted her. She sent an email saying, my family and I do not wish to be involved. All the best with your publication. Hames was never charged with this fraud, nor for dozens of others amounted to many tens of millions of dollars, But as we know, after decades of models and look back cars, he finally ran out of gas in July twenty seventeen. Police arrived at his bond Bai apartment and led him away in handcuffs. He's been in jail ever since, much of it in Sydney's Long Bay, awaiting a verdict, having been charged with stealing seven and a half million dollars from fifteen victims. After all these years, the bill has finally come due, So how long does he deserve for these final pages from an epic life of deceit?
Speaker 4: So I think there's often an argument that custodial sentences should be used fairly sparingly for white collar offenders, largely because they're not seen to pose the type of immediate threat to society that violent offenders are.
Speaker 2: We checked back in with Professor Clinton Free, the corporate crime expert from the University of Sydney. You heard from him earlier in this series.
Speaker 4: But I think it's also a trap to think of white color offenders as a homogeneous group. And I think there's a huge world of difference between what your average guarden variety fraud offender might get as a sentence and what someone who commits the sort of premeditated, ruthless, prolonged defending that Hamish McLaren has perpetrated here.
Speaker 2: Clinton Free has spent years interviewing white collar criminals in jile.
Speaker 4: The Sentencing Bench Book, which is published by the Judicial Commission of New South Wales, sets out five factors for determining the objective seriousness of an offense, and I think Hamish has to be at the extreme end of the continuum on all five things. So the first is the amount of money involved, So in this case it's almost eight million dollars from multiple victims. The length of time over which the offending took place is significant, it's over multiple years. The motive for the crime doesn't appear to be need, and it doesn't appear to be impulsive. It's greed. The level of planning and sophistication is very significant, and the breach of trust which is attendant in the crime is extremely significant. So on that basis, I think this has to be at the extreme end of sort of a sentence for fraud.
Speaker 2: The maximum sentence for a fraud of this nature is ten years for each charge, And as Clinton Free says, if Hamius McLaren doesn't get the maximum, who would.
Speaker 4: What we know is that it's very rare for a fraud offender to get a sentence of an excess of a decade in your so far as there are examples of it, but it's rare. But I think in this case would seem to me that he'd be at that extreme end that we would expect to see something ten years and beyond. Potentially in mitigation, I guess he's got the fact that there's a guilty plea.
Speaker 2: It took decades for homies to be charged. What this highlights, the professor says, is how far the police and the financial regulators are behind the criminals when it comes to fraud.
Speaker 4: I think it's the boom industry and crime fraud, and if you think about things like cyber fraud and breaches of cybersecurity, these areas where I think there's enormous concern and there has to be questions raised about the ability of police to grow to deal with that sort of growth in that criminal category. I think investment has happened in the police.
Speaker 2: Force, but not at the rate that it needed to happen.
Speaker 4: I would say it's hard to argue that it has happened at the rate that it needs to happen. I think, especially when you start to push into that sort of cyber area, which is the top of most organizations fears at the moment, the resourcing around the police and that is problematic.
Speaker 2: The only safe place for someone like Hamish McLaren for the public is behind bars. Clinton Free reckons there's something sociopathic and compulsive about Hamish. Fraud is in his makeup.
Speaker 4: It's hard to look at that pattern of offending and come to a different conclusion. I think, you know, it's over such a prolonged period of time, there's multiple vulnerable victims. It's replicated, you know, many many times over. It's hard to think that there isn't some element of sort of sociopath in the thinking. I think the thing that's just dumbfounded me and people I've spoken to I've also listened to the podcast is just the scale of his offending, you know, where the fact that this is just replicated over such a long period of time, over lot of different geographies, So just the pure scale of it is mind blowing.
Speaker 2: Greg Bearer, This podcast Who the Hell Is Hamish is brought to you by the Australian newspaper Hamish. Mcfarran's reckoning has finally arrived and so we'll go back to where we begin this podcast in a cab with Tracy Hall on the drive down from Sydney's Northern Beaches. In April twenty sixteen, Tracy Hall talked for the first time with a charming man called Max de Vita. Max never existed and today she's off to see the man who invented him. On the first Davy sentence hearing, she's tentative but excited.
Speaker 5: I'm excited. I want it to be over. I mean, I've waited.
Speaker 6: Two years for this.
Speaker 5: It's been a long it's been a long two years, and it will be just good to have the answer and to know where he's going to be for the next period of time and just to have that that door closed. You know, it's another piece of the puzzle that's.
Speaker 2: Been filled in what what do you want to say happen? Chraz.
Speaker 5: I've thought a lot about this, and I think no amount of time is going to be enough for any of us to you know, give him his come up and of what he's done to everybody. So I don't think the number is that important because it's out of out control. You know, life would be written, but you know, probably not reasonable or realistic. I think it's important that you know there's a there's a sentence that reflects the magnitude of what he's done and that that's reflected in the lives that he is. Yeah damage, yeah, yeah. And you know, the court case is very factual. Everything's very factual. But when you've been through it and when you meet other people who have been through it and you hear their stories and listen to everything else that he's done. It's the impact on the emotional state of people and their life that is the most important. You know, money is money, but how it's affected everyone emotionally.
Speaker 1: It's heartbreaking.
Speaker 2: For Hamish's crimes to be successful, he had to be embedded in the lives of his targets. It made the betrayal, when it always came, even more hurtful. A number of those people he betrayed have since become friends. It's helped them sort through the madness of their experience.
Speaker 5: He you know, he manipulated relationships, and you know he leveraged emotion to extract money from us over a long period of time for his own financial gain. So I do understand how it's hard to comprehend, But when you're in it, and when you spend a year and a half or two years, or however long it is in Beck's case it was five with somebody, these things happen very slowly and they creep up on you. And to be able to discuss that with somebody else that's been through it, that understands and doesn't judge or doesn't ask those questions that you just go, well, of course that's what happened, you know. It's there's there's comfort.
Speaker 2: In that when you think of him, what do you think of now?
Speaker 5: I find it really hard sometimes because my memories of him are of Max Teta.
Speaker 2: Are they're happy memories.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he, by all intents and purposes with you know, a fictional character, but a great guy, you know, somebody who supported me, somebody who we had similar interests, We had great conversations. He was you know, he was very much a part of my you know, my life and what I was hoping to do moving forward. So those memories that I have to compartmentalize that and go, well, that's just a fictional character. He just made himself up and deceived me for nearly eighteen months and really, in my mind construct him as who he is, as Hamish McLaren.
Speaker 2: And so there's a deconstruction going on there and then are rebuilding.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I just have to in my mind, I have to just go Max Debt it doesn't exist, because he doesn't. You know, he's a He's a fictional character that was made up to deceive me. Yes, and Hamish McLaren I have since come to learn who who he is, and through this process with you and the other victims, and what I've learned, I'm seeing very clearly who he is. Seeing him at the committal hearing when he pleaded guilty. That was a really cool moment for me because it was the first time I had seen him since he was arrested and he was in his prison greens. He looked old, he didn't talk, he wouldn't look at us, and that was the first time I saw him for who he really was. And we got the court fac documents that day, which is the first time when I felt that I wasn't alone.
Speaker 2: Tracy's getting on with her life. She's now able to joke about what happened. She tells me that one of her friends met her new boyfriend. He asked him to produce one hundred points of identification.
Speaker 5: I have been really nervous that this day would be delayed again, and you know, it's a big thing to have hanging over all of our heads for two years, and I haven't been able to sleep very well this week. It's just on my mind. I'm thinking about it. And yeah, texts came through saying that it's all systems go and it's not going to be delayed. And I decided to go for a long run and then aswim in the ocean yesterday, just almost as a middle finger up to Hamish because he you know, my experience with him was he loved that stuff, and he loved the ocean, and he loved running. And I wanted to do something that he couldn't and it made me so grateful for my freedom and the fact I can lie in bed straight at night and you know, thinking about where he is and where he deserves to be. And yeah, that was that was something I just wanted to do to lift my expirits yesterday.
Speaker 2: The one burning question she still has is where is all that money.
Speaker 5: We still don't know where the bloody hell the money is, you know, in all of these so much money, and it's not just this case, in everything that we know, and it's somewhere.
Speaker 2: On the first day of McLaren Sant's hearing a week ago, Judge Jim Charteris was asking the same question. He did a quick calculation and found that in the six years covering Hamish's charges, five point four million dollars was missing. More than nine hundred thousand dollars a year. The judge remarked that the only person who knew where the money was, Hamish, had chosen not to take the witness stand. The day did not go well for Hamish. A letter he wrote saying how sorry he was was read to the court. The judge said he appeared to be a late convert to contrition, con man, he said, might not necessarily be a curable condition. He never once locked eyes with his victims in the court, including his ex wife beck Roe, and his ex girlfriend Tracy Hall, and the seventeen year old girl Jane with whom he had a predatory affair. Jane had flown down for the sensing and said she'd come back again to see the job.
Speaker 6: Done, just to see it through, you know, having gone through this whole process, and not just the process over the last few months, but the process of the impact that he just had on my life and all of our lives. Not to see it through, I think I would regret that.
Speaker 2: How did you feel about him not even looking around and kind of acknowledging on your looking in your direction.
Speaker 6: Is that not in keeping with his nature? It's all a bravado front. He's not strong, He's not powerful. He doesn't wield any power over any of us. He's a coward and that's all it is. And without the money and without those showy Bravado fronts, he's nothing. And I think that was so in keeping with his nature.
Speaker 2: As Jane says, coward is in Hamish's DNA. After the first day of his hearing, he'd applied to a PVI video link when the judge was to deliver his sentence. But the judge was having none of this. He ordered Hamish to the dock. There was now nowhere to hide. Hamish's lies, which fuelled him for decades, were now bearing down on him like an out of control limited edition runaway Mercedes McLaren. As the victims filed into the public gallery, there was a carnival air, like a public stoning. Some of those involved had given their kids the day off school so they could witness this moment, accompanied by their grandmas. As a possible mitigating circumstance, McLaren's defense team said he may be autistic, but the strengths were dubious.
Speaker 7: Mister McLaren's actions over a number of years have demonstrated the callous disregard for the multiple victims of his fraudulent offenses, most of whom lost substantial sums of money if they're not their life for savings. In this respect, I'm of the opinion mister McLaren's actions were likely driven by greed and efficient personality trays rather than any overt mental illness or mental disorder.
Speaker 2: Remorse is a key consideration in determining a jailed sense of course, HAMI said he was sorry. The judge was having none of it.
Speaker 7: Regrettably, I've come to the view that mister McLaren is not remorseful. Mister McLaren is sorry for no one other than himself.
Speaker 2: He needed to make an example of him.
Speaker 7: The punishment, by a sense of sentence of imprisonment has real bite as a deterrent to others. In the case of white color crime, it's often a choice. Why color crime freely made by well educated people from privileg's background. It's prompted by greed.
Speaker 2: The offending was exacerbated by his close association with his victims.
Speaker 7: Accept the offender abused his position of trust in relation to every offense. I accept he cunningly planned and organized this serious criminal activity. The offenses were committed for financial gain. The only mitigating feature is that he has pleaded guilty. I accept he continue to engage in this behavior even though he was brought to bankruptcy by one of the victims. The extent of his criminal activity makes a finding of good character for his first offense of very little Bay.
Speaker 2: After a long career as a criminal lawyer and a judge, it just happened to be judged Charteris's very last day on the bench. He was not to be rushed. For two hours, he poured over the evil deeds of Hams McLaren and how he deceived and damaged each of his victims. On his final day of judgment, his focus was on the victims. His assessment was methodical and damning.
Speaker 7: I will that now deal with the individual assessments as regards the offenses against miss now Rattle. The offensa took five hundred and sixty four thousand dollars a sentence of four years and six months as appropriate. The sequence one mister and missus Picard four hundred and thirty four thousand dollars three hundred and twenty thousand dollars each of those matters four years imprisonment. Mister Hilliard Senior and Junior two hundred and fifteen thousand dollars three years and nine months, three hundred thousand dollars four years imprisonment. Nicole Moses eight hundred and twenty thousand dollars six years imprisonment. Tracy Hall was three hundred and seventeen thousand dollars four years imprisonment. Mister Carl and Miss Danyee. Their loss was thirty three thousand, two hundred and seventy dollars eighteen months imprisonment. Mister and missus Cross five hundred twelve thousand, five hundred four years and six months, one million dollars six years and nine months, two hundred thousand dollars three years and nine months. Lisa Hoe, which was eight hundred and fifty thousand dollars six years imprisonment. Tracy Marrock, the forty six year old unemployed person due to medical issues nine hundred and eighty thousand dollars six years imprisonment, was sixty nine thousand dollars two years imprisonment who Julie Sullivan was one hundred thousand dollars two years and three months. Miss Lowe who was fifty eight years of age and unemployed six hundred and fifty thousand dollars three hundred thousand dollars four years after the plea of guilty for Section seventy six, lastly dealing with the proceeds of crime in a sum of more than seven seven point six million dollars seven and a half years imprisonment after the plea of guilty. That's said, if.
Speaker 2: You added up all the sentences for all the crimes, he'd have been there for seventy years. But that's not how it works. The judge is tasked with delivering accumulative total his maximum a minimum sentence.
Speaker 7: Mister McLaren, where you stand well, I pass sentence. In my opinion, you conducted yourself as if you would never be brought to account. You conducted yourself as you would not have that you would not have a judgment day. You were mistaken. That judgment day is today. For the seventeen matters, I impose an aggregate sentence of sixteen years imprisonment with twelve years non paral. You can remove mister McLaren from the court.
Speaker 2: The victims left the court to be confronted by a bank of TV cameras. This is Glenn Picard, the coal mine from Mudgie. He lost more than six hundred thousand dollars and his marriage to Hamish. He was on the verge of retirement, but has since gone back down the pits. What do you think, imagine?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm very happy with the sentence. Probably probably a bit more not thought so, but yeah, very very happy, very short aside, and I thought the judge was brilliant.
Speaker 2: How do you feel when that was when you realize that he's going away for more than a decade.
Speaker 8: It's emotional, Yeah, it was absollently it was probably just relief that it's and very very happy with the sentence. Extremely happy with the sentence. A couple of glass.
Speaker 4: Of red wine on it.
Speaker 2: Tracy Hall was in tears.
Speaker 5: It's hard to find the words right now. I just feel incredibly emotional and it's just been a really long two years and it's just yeah, I feel good.
Speaker 3: Do you feel good?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I feel good. It's a lot higher than what I was expecting.
Speaker 2: The front of the media, and then went to a cafe for lunch. It was opposite the old Darlinghurst Jail, now an art school. The art school featured an exhibition entitled Court Stealing the Art of misappropriation. This is beck Rosen's taken.
Speaker 9: I had this awful sense of the finality for the ladies and you know, all of these people who have been rich or financially because while this is like for me and the boys so great to see him behind bars, I just.
Speaker 7: I hate that.
Speaker 9: It's sort of like is closing a door to where is that money? And how can we make these people feel better? I mean seeing him go away and run down those stairs to go to jail until Levi's thirty two hopefully, yeah, is incredible for us. I mean, I'm sure he's down there going holyly fuck like. I'm sure he wasn't expecting it to go this way, because he always said I remember telling him he was going to go to jail he as a con man, and I remember him just laughing at me and going, Becky, you don't know anything. You have no idea what's going to I'm going to be sitting on a beach.
Speaker 2: He's karrent Low.
Speaker 10: I went through a range of all emotions, really disbelieve initially, and then I don't know where the tears came from, and then gratitude to the judge, to the fantastic judge. I mean, he actually read it, took the time to read it well, and he dotted every iron, crossed every tea. And for me to hear the rawness of everyone's statement, stuff that I'd never heard from their statements, which was not out there until this morning, was really quite emotional. But yeah, I think that's closure.
Speaker 2: This is Jane now, a woman of twenty three, for just a seventeen year old girl when Hamish began a predatory relationship with her.
Speaker 6: Look, I would be lying if I said there wasn't a great level of satisfaction in knowing that he's been stripped of his freedom for a minimum of twelve years henceforth. And I mean, that's never going to recompense the loss that everybody who crossed paths with him felt, But it does bring some level of compensation, just the fact that he's been held accountable in the very least, and this whole facade, this whole world that he created has effectively come crashing down.
Speaker 2: She sobbed in the court when the judge was assessing the crimes against her grandparents, Lorraine and Peter Cross.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was quite surreal, Like I didn't preempt that I would be quite so emotional, but I think it's still it's just the shame, the guilt at knowing that I was the conduit to his infiltrating my family. You know, I was the inn and yeah, he abused that. In every way. This whole process has brought forth a period of my life that I kept so tightly caged away. And there's no end to how free and empowering that is. And I you know, since this whole process has started, you go through phases of feeling so down and so you know, as I keep saying, shame that I've been carrying surrounding this, but equally as being this whole the sense of empowerment that comes with owning it and facing it and having the support network that I now have around me and all of this. So thank you.
Speaker 2: Wow, And here's Tracy again.
Speaker 5: And it's such a mix of emotions because in one mindset, you're kind of like, no amount of time it's going to be long enough. You know, there is no number that the judge can hand down that he's going to take away any of the pain from any of us and anything that we have to face for the rest of our lives because of what's happened. But then on the flip side, when you look at the law and what's you know, what the options are, and you think in your head it's going to be a certain amount, and then it's kind of double that. Then that feels really good. I think the only thing that Hamish's sorry about is the fact that he got caught. I think he's sorry he got caught. I don't think he is sorry about anything that he's done. You know, he didn't have the guts to look at anyone, he didn't have the guts to make a statement, he didn't have the guts to read his own sorry letter out. You know, here's a coward. And I think all of those things say a lot about a person. To be honest, I'm not sure how I could have gotten through the last few months, six months without the support of these people. You know, they're the only ones that know how it feels. And it's very easy from the outside looking in to think, oh, I would have never have been in that situation, or that never would have happened to me. And the reality is it can happen to anyone, and these people understand that because it happened to them as well. And yeah, I'm not alone, which is always a nice thing to feel. Thank you, Tom.
Speaker 2: For years, Conman Hamish McLaren kept the people in his life apart lest they start comparing notes. His cons depended on chaos and division. And here they are a sample of those he deceived, all gathered in the one room celebrating his demise. And so who the hell is Hamish? That's easy. He's a cheat, a liar, a thief, a predator, a low dog of a man. He swapped his tom Ford suits for a prison tracksuit. He'll wake tomorrow morning to cold porridge. As for where all there's tens of millions of dollars ended up, it remains a great mystery. But that's a question He's going to be asked every day for the next decade or more. His interrogators, however, will not be mild men at accountants. With clipboards from the Australian Securities and Investment Commission, I'm Greg Bearer. This podcast was brought to you by The Australian Newspaper. It was produced by Nicholas Adams Jazzbar and the executive producer is Eric George. This week's Binus episode is the Swan Song of Judge Colin charteris his final words from the bench the sentencing of Hamish McLaren. Thank you for listening.