Speaker 1: Okay, eight team, It's Harps and it's doctor Lillian. It's a you project. It's us and you. It's a Monday here in the thriving metropolis of Melbourne. It's been a we could say, an interesting twenty four hours. In Australia, it's been a tragic twenty four hours. We're going to have a little bit of a chat about or what's been going on, just like many people have been chatting. I don't know. I don't know that we're going to come to any significant realizations or conclusions or solutions. But I think nonetheless, considering we are a show which is about the human experience, the good and the bad, the peaks and the troughs of psychology, the emotion, the physiology, the sociology of being a person in the middle of other persons, it'd probably be negligent and reticent of us if we did not open that door and have a bit of a chats at the very least. But before we do that, my friend doctor Lillian is back in town.
Speaker 2: High Hi, Craig, how are you here?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know you've been a little bit flat. We'll talk about that in a moment. What's been happening but more broadly, what's going on with you. We haven't spoken on the show for a little while. Any a couple of months, any updates, anything we need to know.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, I feel like every minute of every day has been fully accounted for. It's been a very, very hectic, busy period of time. Not necessarily in a bad way, but like, yeah, I'm I am in need of I can feel, especially after yesterday. I mean, we can talk about that, but I feel like I need downtime and I need to just be in a cocoon for a little bit and not have to do or worry about anything.
Speaker 1: I feel like we, I don't know, maybe just subconsciously stumble towards like we go, oh my god, only three weeks to go, only two weeks to go, one week to go. And it's like how many people get sick when they go on holiday total, you know, they just do what they need to do, and then they've got three weeks off. In the first week they're sick, and it's like they're subconscious told their body, you can't get sick yet, because we've got to get through the next week or two. And then and then when they just completely relax and switch off the craziness, and it's like their body then goes, oh, thank God, now I need to I don't know, I need to fall. Yeah, I know.
Speaker 2: I actually think about that a lot, because I always find that just before I go on a holiday or a break, I'm at the peak of my stress levels, like just trying to get everything done so that I can have actual time off without worrying about things that were working at all. And when you work for yourself, it's a little bit harder. Yeah, And I've definitely found that, so, and I exactly what you said. It's you're basically chronically stressed for like between two and four weeks, depending on how long it takes you to get everything sorted out. And so of course then when you know you have that time, your amenity is lower, and so you're gonna you know, you're at a vulnerable to being sick, and then it happens at the worst time because you want that time to enjoy your time off. So it there has to be a better.
Speaker 1: Way, you know. It's quite funny how we can to an extent, obviously, we talk about place ebos and no cibos in the mind and the immune system and our ability to kind of make ourselves sickle well and all of that, but just in general kind of terms. I remember a few years ago, I had an all weekend program, one hundred and thirty people, and you know, Fatty harps up the front from Friday night to Sunday night. So I had to do over, you know, two full days. I probably had to be in front of the group about talking, not just in front of the group, but actual delivering content, lecturing, teaching, coaching the group, probably twenty hours of content, as well as all the one on ones in between where everyone wants a you know, a hug or a chat or a question or a or a whatever. Right, And I remember I remember in the week feeling, oh my god, I'm going to get sick. And I knew I was going to get sick about Friday, and I just said to my body, you cannot fucking get sick, So go and get fucked. You can get sick on Monday, bitch. I'm like I am, and I do not know how, but yeah, I just I got through the weekend and I didn't feel amazing, but I definitely wasn't fully blown sick, but I could feel it. Yeah, And then I got home on the Monday night. On the Sunday nights, I did everything I needed to do. I unpacked, I washed some clothes, I responded to a few emails and that was it. And I was just wiped for about three days. And the next day I got up. I was well. I didn't get up. I probably got up at some stage. But it's just funny because I just willed myself not to let that thing happen that I knew was going to happen, so that I could because nobody else could jump in and just do what I had to do for two days.
Speaker 2: So yeah, sometimes you just have to do something, like you don't really have the choice of saying, oh, well, like if I cancel, it's not the end of the world. Well no, actually it might not be the end of the world. But you've taken on a responsibility and you need to, like, yes, fulfill it and people are counting on you, and there will be consequences for a lot of people if you can't push through. So sometimes you do have to push through. But it is funny, Like I was sick for I don't get sick often, thankfully, but I was sick for a few days. Maybe three weeks ago, like sick, like I really wasn't going to be able to do anything sick. But I felt like, you know, you know when you're really busy like I have been, and you're like, well, you can't miss a day because you know, like it wasn't like your fache where you're like presenting to one hundred and thirty people for three days. It was just like work, work that needs to get done, and you've got a list and you're trying to get through it. But for three days, it was like Nope, I just can't. And I remember thinking to myself, like, but I would have never just taken those three days off to make myself feel better. I had to get sick to give myself permission to have time out, and that's actually not okay, Like I need to like really rethink that that situation a little bit more, because those three days were great. I mean, I wasn't feeling well, but like the fact that I had that time away and I felt like there was like zero guilt about having the time away. It's like, no, I'm sick, and usually I feel like my normal way is guilt free time away like that doesn't usually bother me. To like stop working. Yeah, yeah, but I feel like the last few months haven't been like that. I feel like I've been pulled in so many different directions and need to do and complete so many different things before the end of the year that I'm not giving myself as much permission. And so it's like, oh, well, thank goodness I had those sick days, I could have some time off.
Speaker 1: We'll take the most out of you. Is it the physical stuff of sleep and work and movement and getting kids stuff done and like whatever, cleaning all the domesticity and the just the movement, or is it the mental load like cognitive load, or or is it emotional stuff? Like what what derails you the most you personally?
Speaker 2: I think it is Oh gosh, I want to say all three of but that's probably a cop out. I think it's all three. Can like it if there's like a million family appointments that need to get scheduled and taken to, and that can be that it can be a lot just on its own because it's so time. It's not brain heavy, but it's like time consuming mental load. Definitely, yeah, especially because for me, at least, I'm and I think about a lot of people especially women. I'm going to say, but there's so many things to think about. So there's you know, for me, it's like so many different work things like probably I could list probably ten, but like maybe four major things. Yes, And then you've got your children and what they're doing and how they're progressing, and their lives and their social lives and their emotions. And then you've got you know, your partner and what they're going through, and the wider family and my family in the US. So there's all of that, and then you just got the regular routine stuff, you know, the laundry and the groceries, and my partner is he's doing the bulk of that, like I'm not even doing the bulk of it, and it's still a lot. And even cooking and he likes to cook. I don't have to cook ninety percent of the time, so that's amazing for me. So yeah, all of those things can an emotional toll. Of course, again, like there's like yes of me today, It's like I had this like very heavy feeling today, I feel much flatter. I was really looking forward to talking to you today. Like for the last few weeks, I'm like, oh, I miss Craig, I haven't been. I feel like I haven't been on the show in eighties. I ran into you like last week and I told you I looking, you know, really looking forward to it.
Speaker 1: And I have been.
Speaker 2: I've been in like such a good mood and like looking forward to it. And then yesterday happened and I went to sleep early. I never go to sleep early. Today I had to do like two meetings. If I could have canceled them, I would have, but as they but they were not cancelable meetings. Yes, and so I like literally even put on like a brighter top so that, you know, like so I could feel more energy for those meetings. And I've changed for you. I've got a blacktop on that I'm like.
Speaker 1: Real with you, Craig, I look very very coolporate and professional.
Speaker 2: I'm wearing black. But yeah, I just feel like very unsettled and yeah, heavy, and so that of course takes a toll. Probably had the emotional toll is the biggest one, you know, if you've had When I've had things happen to me that take an emotional toll, it's pretty significant.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think the top of my list, my list goes like this far and away, emotional and then physical but I can grind through tiredness. But but yeah, it definitely fucks me, especially sleep right. But at the top of my list is emotional if someone that I care about is sick or dies or is you know, all that stuff that you and I spoke about before on the phone, Like that just derails me. And the cognitive load is you know, like right now, my submission date for my you know study is tomorrow, one month and so everybody's like, what are you doing for Christmas? I'm like fucking sitting at my desk. Yeah, like, oh, can't you just have a week. I'm like you, I wish, I wish I could have a week. It's like, there will not be one day between now and January sixteen where I'm not writing or doing it you know, where I'm not or I'm not worth on my thesis, not editing, not trying to figure something out. And that's okay, nobody made me do it, and there's no self pity in that. But it's hey, Interestingly, I ask chat GPT, is there a name for the phenomenon when people get sick in the worth for worth sorry first week of holidays? Yeah, and it says, yes, Craig, there is. It's most commonly called leisure sickness. This refers to the phenomenon when people become ill colds, flu like symptoms, headache, fatigue, gi issues right as a holiday or break begins, often in the first days. What's going on underneath it? Thanks for asking chatters. Stress withdrawal when you've been running on adrenaline, cortersole and sympathetic nervous system activation. Your body finally downregulates and the immune system can temporarily dip delayed immune response. Stress hormones can suppress immune function. When stress drops, symptoms that were held back show up. Sleep pattern changes over sleeping a regular sleep can disrupt immune regulation. Behavioral shift changes in diet, alcohol, routine and exposure planes and crowds, psychophysiological rebound. The body finally has permission to stop coping. It's not imaginary and it's been documented in occupational health and stress research. And then it says, if you want a more Craigish way of saying it for a post or podcast, then it says, your body doesn't get sick on holidays. It gets honest. And then it says or more clinical sustain stress days substrained, bloody hell, sustained stress, delays illness, rest reveals it. Yes, so it's a real thing. It's a real so is Yeah, it's therapy that's required.
Speaker 2: But well we all have that experience and we all had it. It's definitely I mean, so it has to be a real thing. It's just like, what's the why.
Speaker 1: For everyone might be different? Yeah, Now, so for our listeners, and about forty percent of our listeners are overseas, so about sixty percent are Aussies, and so the nearly half of our listeners who don't know what we're talking about when we're saying something horrible happened in Australia, you might have heard about it. But yesterday, and for my Aussie listeners, sorry for the replay for the million at the time, But yesterday there was a terrorist attack. Yesterday being Sunday, the fourteenth of December in Australia, there was a terrorist attack where a bunch of people at a Jewish festival or Jewish celebration Hannuka. Sixteen people I think as we record, were killed, and somewhere up around as that forty people were injured. I think somewhere in the ballpark and so that's you know, for a country that is very, very very anti guns. And obviously it was two gun men. I didn't say that it was two gunmen. And so it's just been a it's been a lot, and we're not used to this stuff. We're not used to this. So it's been all over the media. It's been NonStop, and I had to turn off for Telly, Like I watched quite a bit, but I just went, I can't keep watching because there's no real ess and I'm not putting my head in the sand. I know what's going on. I'm not pretending it didn't happen. It makes me sad, it makes me all the things that makes me a bit angry, It makes me all those normal human emotional and psychological reactions that I would think most, if not all, of you had a version of also. But I guess so you and I probably felt very similar. We had a chat on the phone before we started recording, but I guess I wanted to talk today a little bit about so a lot of things that happened to us and around us, you know, as we just navigate life. We didn't choose and we didn't want and obviously none of us chose this or wanted this, and just you know, as a country, and of course more importantly for the people themselves that were hurt or killed and their families. But how do we I guess there's no three step plan to react to hard things? You know, how long do we allow ourselves to ah, you know, feel what we feel? I guess there's no number, And that's maybe a dumb question. But do we also need to realize that we've got to then practically move forward? Doc Like, I'm sad, I'm angry, I'm anxious, I'm a bit scared, I'm all the things. How long can we sit in that?
Speaker 2: Well? I feel like right now it's it's really not about how do we cope and fix and move on? I mean, in relation to what's going on here, it's.
Speaker 1: Very fresh, yet it's not twenty four hours as we record.
Speaker 2: It's really like, how do we give ourselves permission to feel the way that we're feeling and keep putting one foot in front of the other, but maybe in a way that it's more gentle and soothing and grounding and that feels safe and and you know, I think for me, and I think in general, having people around you that you love and like, you know, the key relationships, you know, being able to talk to them or be with them or or you know, hug each other. I think that's really come for that's certainly comforting for me. I think that's really how we get through tough things. A lot of the time is with other people. So and like you were saying, you don't want to like inundate yourself with news, I think that that can be really I think what like what happens when we have an event like yesterday, which it's like, it's so horrible to say, but you were saying, like we're not used to this, and like no one should be used to this. Yes, but we but we really aren't. Yes, and it really rocks your sense of safety even though it's unusual.
Speaker 1: Yes, And so like.
Speaker 2: It's okay, I guess, you know, I think it's okay to feel like that sense of you know, I'm being unsettled and feeling unsafe and be wanting to cocoon a little bit. And I think I think that it's I think it's okay to give yourself permission to do like just routine things around your home, around the people that you love, and not and like you said, be informed, but you don't need to like watch every second of every news thing and just ground yourself as much as possible. But yes, it's very reasonable. I feel really shitty today. I know a lot of other people feel that way. And on top of that, there's you know, the closer you are probably to that area, you're going to feel more even more anxious. And it makes sense to feel that way, even thinking about going to bond Aid. Like for me, like it's you know, like I have a nephew coming to visit in March and I was like one of you know, I was like, oh gosh, you know, like that's one of the places it was just and you know, recently with my mother, and it's such a beautiful, iconic place and you don't think of it as you don't think of any place in Australia's unsafe, but kind of that, those are just our immediate kind of reactions to things, you know, and it makes sense to have those immediate reactions. And I think like anything that's really tough and hard and that we hate that you know, shouldn't happen. And you know, the unfair things that happen in life that really you can't do anything about and you can't control. It's just yeah, it's a sense of yeah, real sadness and grief about that, but also like you still everything's the world still turns. Things still, you know, Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's the thing that we get the next day and things are still happening. For me, I'm like, I'm quite empathetic, so it it. You know, I heard a mum talking about her little girl and that was it just tears and stuff and three year old little girl called Gigi or something. And anyway, I'm I'm listening to that and I'm sad and I'm crying that I'm listening to other people and I'm trying to and then somebody sent me some footage which I wish they didn't send me, but it was just horrendous. Anyway, Like an idiot, I just went watched this what's this? And I played it? So that didn't help. And I mean, at the same time, I want to be aware, I want to be informed, I want to care, but I also know at the same time I can't do anything to change it or undo what's been done. And so I like, as a student of human behavior literally and you know, just experientially out in the field. I'm really interested in just what happened now, Like, and you know, the fear and even the paranoia and the outrage and all of those things, I totally understand. Yeah, And I'm not saying people shouldn't be outraged or you know, I think what we do next practically really matters and how you know, because jumping up and down and being mad is totally understandable, but it probably doesn't move the needle in a positive way on anything, right, So I just think, you know, what happens next, And I also think, like I was thinking about this this morning, and I'm like, I personally, in my whole life, I've never ever, in my whole life tried to hurt anyone physically ever in my life who wasn't already trying to hurt me, right, so somebody was trying to punch me in the face or something, which you know, I worked in pubs and did security for years, but you know, so I've been in a few scuffles in my life and all of that, but every time defending myself and not you know, but the the standalone objective of killing people. But that's what they set out to do just kill humans that they don't know. It's both disgusting and in a way fascinating, not good fascinating, like terrible fascinating. But part of me thinks we can't overcome what we don't understand, and obviously the shooting is the byproduct of some kind of weird, fucked up thinking and mindset and ideology and beliefs, and like, I'm curious about that. I'm curious about what drives these people. Not so of course that I want to on any level a line or condone, of course, but I want to understand why they are the way they are, so we can deal with that before we get to what we got to yesterday. You know, you think about this like you and I live in a world where, on a pretty regular basis, a teenager will put on a vest with explosives and happily, probably nervously, but happily go and blow himself and civilians up, usually him, in the belief that they are doing something good and noble. You know that happens at the same time as somebody in Brighton is getting a skinny latte at the pantry and ordering porridge. You know, somewhere else in the world, someone's been so indoctrinated that they And also to think about the reality that evil people who do evil things don't think they're evil. Yeah, Like they don't think people who do bad shit think they're doing good shit, like they have a story. It's like every religion thinks all the other religions are wrong. You know, there is not one religion that thinks that they're wrong. Everyone's every political party thinks every other party or idiots. Like, it's just we live in an echo chamber, all of us individuals and collectively like our own echo chambers. And I'm like, Wow, when people grow up indoctrinated with evil ideologies, that's what you get.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think for me, Craig, it's like when something like this happens, I don't care about that yet, you know what I mean, Like in the immediate aftermath, I don't care why these people did what they did. They like there's no good reason, Like there's no like I know that you know that there's no good reason either. I'm noting that you do, but but like there's no justifiable reason or like the reason that's going to make sense or any you know, like and that's probably why I'm not a forensic psychologist because I just I don't want to work with people who do bad things intentionally, yeah, and then feel like there's some kind of justification for it when there really isn't. So yeah, I totally get like we do need to understand because we need that's the way of prevention, right, you understand what you can prevent. I'm not I'm not ready to have that conversation because it's maybe it's just it's too soon. But maybe I'm maybe I'm not the right person either, because like you know, like you know, when you see like the footage of and you know, I maybe people would be surprised by this because I'm a psychologist, but like when you see the footage of that man who was able to get the arrest to get the gun away from the other man, and he showed like the restraint he showed by not doing anything with that gun, I'm like, I don't know if I would be able to show that level of a restraint. That's that's to me amazing. But yeah, I just, of course, you know, like that's saying everything happens for a reason. I don't believe that in the way that people usually mean it. Yes, So like it's usually meant as you know, if a bad thing happens, you'll find out what the reason is in the future kind of thing, yes, right, and some kind of destiny or fate or something. You know, there's a something in effect that's creating a reality that you don't know about yet whatever. I don't believe in that because I just think some things are just unfair and wrong and things shit happens, and it doesn't mean that something good's going to come acce it.
Speaker 1: On agree, And I think that that very pragmatical real world thinking is that of course we don't want that to be the world we live in, but well we now know that is well we knew that before, but this is the world. Like, bad things happen to good people. Yeah, bad things happen to children, you know, Terrible things happen around the world. Life is not fair. Life does not give a fuck about your feelings or your emotional state. You know, this is This is not negativity, This is reality. This is practicality. And so you know, we want to be compassionate and kind and loving and we want to support the people that are going through this. And I reckon I've hugged about ten people today who are upset and and I'm upset, but yeah, I'm very much. I want to understand this fucking evil yeah, so that we can do something about it. But anyway, and that's what.
Speaker 2: I was going to say, though, Craig, I was going to say that everything happens for a reason. In the other direction, we need to understand what the reasons are that led up to it. Yes, right, that's so I think everything happens for a reason. Yes, there are reasons. We might not understand or know what the reasons are as of now, or we might never understand. But that doesn't mean that there weren't things that led up to it, and they might not be reasonable reasons, they're just reasons, whereas the other way is just magical things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean everything happens for a reason, but that's not to say that that's good, like it's like, well, doesn't justify it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And for people who think, you know, it's like, are there aren't evil people. People are all kind of genetically predetermined and it's biochemistry of the of course all of those things play a role and therein but there are evil people who do evil shit. That's what that's my philosophy anyway, and I think you don't need I don't think that's a big stretch to believe that. Hey, let's park that conversation because I don't want to make everyone sad for an hour. So let's let's just put a little bow on that and say, to all those people who were affected directly or indirectly by what happened at Bondio, you know we're sending you love and kind of best wishes and all the vibes. And I know that doesn't mean much, but if intention counts, well, then you know there's some love coming from here. And yeah, let's hope that that doesn't happen again ever in Australia. I don't like my chances of that, but let's hope that we don't have to deal with that in the near future or the distant future. Let's hope that doesn't happen again. All right, let's talk about something that's a bit of a left Okay, I want I wanted to Okay, so let's shake shake that heaviness off for a moment. I want to talk to you about the difference between pursuing happiness or success or fulfillment or getting that internal state if you had to describe before I ask the question, if you had to describe the internal state that people most typically want, Yeah, what is that state? Missus psychologist?
Speaker 2: Well, you know you just said it. Everybody wants to be happy, right, I think what they really want is contentment. Yeah, they say happy often.
Speaker 1: Is contentment the same as the absence of anxiety? No?
Speaker 2: I don't think so. I think maybe people think that.
Speaker 3: It is is that just calm, Like what's the what's the the opposite of anxiety then, because it seems like the main melais or emotional melais for people is anxiety or something in the stress, anxiety, overthinking in a chaos space.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what would be the opposite? The opposite could be what you said, calm, relaxation, lack of tension. But if we went extreme opposite, maybe it is contentment. Although I feel like contentment is more about no matter how you're feeling or what's going on in your life, yes, that you still feel internally okay, like oh not necessarily like emotionally, but like you know who you are, you know what you stand for, you know what your values are, Like that level of contentment, like you know that whatever happens, you'll be able to cope. So you still might feel anxious at times, like because that's just human experience, But overall, there's a feeling of contentment, like an inner kind of an inner piece that you have.
Speaker 1: I feel like contentment is a state of enoughness. You know, I have enough mentally, emotionally, financially, practically, like I've got enough. It's all right. I don't need more. If I have more, I do. If I don't, I don't, it doesn't really matter, like I am, but I think.
Speaker 2: Don't need more or don't want more?
Speaker 1: Well, I think they're different, and I think like the he's he's a curly question. I've asked a few people over the years. Can we be simultaneously content that is relatively happy but also ambitious? Yeah, because I feel like I'm both, like, which sounds like you can't be because they seem at opposite ends of the continuum. But like, if I found out that all I'm ever going to have or do or be or create or achieve is what I already have, I would feel quite content because I think I've done Okay. Yeah, I don't think I'm a superstar, but I wouldn't feel like, oh fuck, I've been an abject failure in my whole life. I wouldn't be miserable, you know. But at the same time I can go I have gratitude. My life is good, my relationships are good, my health is good, touch wood, my career, all of those things, like I'm really really call it fortunate, blessed, whatever. But in the middle of that, I'm very grateful also and innother breaking news, I have goals.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, there's yeah. I actually So this makes me think I don't think contentment is about enoughness. I think it might be more about acceptance, acceptance of yourself fully.
Speaker 1: What does that mean?
Speaker 2: So not so okay, So this makes me think of we might have talked about this in the past, but there's this woman named Marshall Nahan, and she developed this whole program like treatment. But one of the things that she talks about is how for everyone, every something, there's an opposite thing, yes, And one of the main examples of that is acceptance and change. So we so we The idea of it is you can accept yourself fully and at the same time know that you can do better right and change yes, right, And even though that seems opposite to each other and that you can't be both at the same time. The reality is that you can have both the same time, and that we often think in opposites, but that doesn't actually reflect reality. It's like just a simplistic view or a perspective that we take to make things seem more I guess simple. But the reality is it's a lot more complex than that. So for you to say like, I'm content and I have goals and I want, you know, and I'm ambitious to me, doesn't seem wrong or like it seems like no, you can you can have both. Yes, it's a dialectic, that's what she calls that, a dialectic. So, yeah, because I feel the same. I feel like I'm a fairly content person and I am ambitious as well. I like to do lots of things, and I'm working towards lots of things. And do I have to know? I don't have to. I don't have to. If I don't do those things, I'll still feel content.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And what about I'm thinking, I was just thinking about Acceptance Commitment Therapy ACT. Do you know? Do you know much about that?
Speaker 2: I do? Yes, it's actually very aligned with Lenihan's work, which hers is. Her therapy is called DBT, so dialectical behavior therapy. They're very very similar.
Speaker 1: So explain to us what act is.
Speaker 2: So Acceptance and commitment therapy basically is about understanding that your internal experiences are valid and reasonable, and that you can still no matter what those experiences are, whether they're distressing or pleasant or unpleasant, that you can still move towards your values. You can still move towards your goals via your values.
Speaker 1: Yes, So.
Speaker 2: It's they differentiate themselves from cognitive behavioral therapy because cognitive behavioral therapy, the cognitive part is about understanding what your thoughts are and the patterns of thoughts that you have and then modifying them. Right, So we might say, like you have black and white thinking, so let's modify that, let's make that more realistic, and then you practice that new thought and then over time that becomes your new way of thinking. That's cognitive behavioral therapy, where acceptance and commitment therapy will say, well, we have you know, we have lots of thoughts and some of them are you know, not particularly helpful or healthy, but we don't really need to attach ourselves to our thoughts. Thoughts are just experiences that we have. We can just accept them that they happen, we can identify them and then choose to continue to move towards our goals because we're attending more to our values rather than all of these internal experiences that we might be having. So it's kind of a different way, say, like an acceptance pathway to better mental health, whereas cognitive therapy is more change pathway to better mental health. And I think both are useful, and both both are evidence based and both can help, and I use both with my clients. And DBT is kind of both DBT, So DBT has the change skills in it and it also has the acceptance skills in it. So that's I do actually tend to gravitate towards DBT's perspective and way of thinking about things because I think it encompasses both really well, and it gives people. It gives people options to in terms of how like how their mind works, what they think suits them, would they prefer to be Does it make more sense for them to accept all of their thoughts and emotions, or does it make more sen sense to maybe be more analytical and and modify and change. And because of both work. You know, they have a good they have choices and options. So what do you think would look better for you?
Speaker 1: Uh? Maybe act Maybe I was just going to say something that well, I think I noticed about me when I was younger, which I think I've kind of figured out. But so I don't know what the actual term for this is. I call it destination disappointment. And it's when you get where you wanted to go and you don't have the experience you thought you'd have. Yeah, and obviously it could be I guess a geographic location, but I'm talking more metaphorically. Yeah, and that very real part of the human experience where wherever, where we're at, it's not where we want to be. Yeah, Like very few people go, you know what, my job awesome. I don't want any more money. I don't want to change anything or my you know, it's my body. I'm happy with my body. It's great. I don't need to be any more of this or any less of that. I'm fully locked in and content. And it's like this idea that this is where I am and this is where I want to be with whatever component of our existence. It could be fitness or health or career or money, or relationships or whatever. It could be a myriad of things. It could be my spiritual journey. Right, this is where I am, and that's where I want to be. And I know that when I move from this place and I get to that place, there's an underlying belief that there will be some kind of with the practical change and shift, there will be some correlated internal shift, like I'll be like nobody thinks. Nobody sets a goal because they want to be less happy or less content or or more anxious. I think most peopleeople you know, when you just talk to them, they assume that, well, when I achieved that own that earn that look like that way that do that create that achieve that, then I am going to be, you know, whatever the appropriate inner state is. And then we get there. And I did that, and I like what many times with many things, like first time was when I got in great shape, only to realize I was still an overthinking, insecure, fucking attention seeking twenty twenty year old, Like I was just the fat, insecure kid in a different vehicle, like I just like I'd renovated my body, but my emotions and thoughts and feelings and they were essentially like carryover from six years before when I was the fattest kid at school. So you know, and that's not to say one caused the other, but you could have this this really good, healthy, functional, strong, maybe even attractive physike, but no positive correlated experience on the inside, you know. And then and then so I'm like.
Speaker 4: Well, fuck, if I get bigger arms then, you know, or if I get less fat, or if I get better abs, or if I train my fucking shoulders, I get whiter shoulders, or I do you know, all of these dumb stories that are all focusing on creating some external change to produce some internal experience.
Speaker 1: And I did the work, but the actual rationale was flawed, so I never created the experience. Or like with my business, when my business became quite successful, which is of course, you know, of itself, it's not a bad thing. But I think my underlying thought was, you know, when I have quite a bit of dough and I've got a good house and I've got a good car, and I'm not poor anymore, or because I spent a fair bit of my life poor, and you go, and it's not that I was rich, but it's like, well, I got to the point where you're not poor. Now you can buy stuff, you can own stuff, you can travel, you can you want that motorbike, go buy that motorbike. Like you can do stuff. And that's funny. In the middle of that, I'm like, oh, and I think realizing that I had this flawed belief system that when I arrived at a certain place financially or professionally, or esthetically or biologically or whatever it was, there would be some absolute positive correlated experience. And I went, oh, fuck, So I had to, you know, go back to the start of the book and start researching and thinking again, Yeah, that.
Speaker 2: Makes me think of so many different things we just said. I think that that is really I think. I think we all do that to some extent. A lot of people try to change external factors, yes, and expect internal change to come along with that, rather than the other way around. And I think both at the same time is probably the best way of going about it. But you know, sometimes we're changing external factors for like we're trying to like maybe reach a level of contentment and acceptance and fulfillment. But what we're actually doing is is trying to create safety and security.
Speaker 1: Yes, right, Like.
Speaker 2: You're wanting other people to accept you by changing your external self. You want to accept yourself as well, But maybe that's not what you were really working on. You were working on how other people see cent.
Speaker 1: And then do you think about, sorry, you think about when we're talking about goals or when I talk about, you know, sitting goals. Creating a process with people, We kind of really dumb it down and we go, what do you want? Why do you want it? But how are you going to get it? And when are you going to start this? So it's what, why?
Speaker 2: What? Why?
Speaker 1: How? When? Right? Really simple? And then we go and then you break it down. It's like, well, what I want to do is I want to lose thirty K's cool, Well that's not a bad goal because you're overweight, so that's that's good and let's not get too wrapped up in that. But cool, So why, well I want to be lighter? Yeah I know that.
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 1: Oh well, And then you get through and it's want to be I want to be more attractive to somebody, or I want to find a partner, or I want better self esteem, or I want to like myself more, or I don't want to be socially clunky, or I don't want to be embarrassed to take my shirt off in front of anyone, or you know, whatever it is. And then okay, why do you want that? Well, get down to a lot of It's like, I want to be loved. I want someone to love me. I want to be accepted. I want you know. So I was always trying to get approval and acceptance and love through how I looked, because I always got rejected for how I looked. So I'm like, well, the solution to this rejection is I get a body that doesn't get rejected. So when I have the opposite of what I had, so that fat body got me rejected and socially isolated and no one was interested in me romantically or physically. Right, So what I need to do is I need to go get the opposite of this current version and bibbity bobby boo, all that horrible shit will go away. Well it didn't though, you know, but it was. It wasn't the worst logic, I mean, as it turns out, but coming from that experience when my relationship, like I went, oh, well this is how I look and as a result, this is how I get treated. The answer is don't look like this. It's for a fourteen year old. It's kind of a logical step.
Speaker 2: It is. No, it is definitely. I think the other thing is that you you know, in terms of what you were saying, there's a difference between values and goals, and I don't think people necessarily know the difference, and that can I think if you're not clear about that, then you tend to move towards maybe goals that aren't serving you.
Speaker 1: I think also people want the thing that like I didn't really want weight loss I brought or I didn't want to. I mean, I wanted a great body, but really what I wanted was what I thought the great body would do. Yeah, what I thought it would give me. You know, it's like, what do you want it in three grand a week or five grand a week, all five? Well, it's not about the money. It's about what you think you can get or do or change your create will be with the money. It's always like the goal is always the conduit to the thing that you really want. So it's not really your goal, it's just the mechanism. It's just the pathway. And so but the assumption is sometimes we get it, we take that path and we get where we wanted to go. We go, oh, fuck, it's the wrong path. Well, fuck, I climbed the wrong mountain. It's that mountain over there.
Speaker 2: True. I think having some clarity about what your needs are before you put your goals in place is so important. I think people like, we have so many different needs. Maybe we don't even think about them as needs, but like, yes, you have social needs and relationship needs and survival needs and safety needs and you know, fulfillment needs and all of these different things, and you know they're not all going to be met, so and they'll all be met at different degrees as well, you know. So I have sometimes I have these clarity sessions with my clients and we start with with the needs questionnaire and they just rate, you know, the level that they that they're being met, and then from that in the different categories, and then from that you can kind of get a sense of like, oh, what areas are there where they're the most unmet needs? Yeah, and then then you've got a place where you can start creating goals that make sense and actually know what they're trying to achieve from those goals from the beginning. Yeah, Yes, And.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sorry going no, I was going to say, sorry, did you ever see that movie? I'm just looking it up right now. Yeah, it's called Into the Wild.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Into the Wild? Was that the one where he goes and he lives in a bus?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, I fucking love that movie. And I didn't know any thing about it, and I went with some friends and and I'm like, ah, this is going to be boring, and I think it was pretty long, and and yeah, two thousand and seven. If you haven't seen this movie, I don't want to ruin it for you everybody, but you know, in the in fact, put your fingers in your ear for the next year, for the next thirty seconds if you don't want to spoiler alert. So just it's called Into the Wild. It's directed by Sean Penn, and it's based on John Crackour's book about Christopher mccandle's or McCandless I think it is. But remember like he just wanted to be out in nature and da da da, and he kind of finally figured out, I know, we all just need people like you can't like we're not an island. And yeah, I really that quite affected me that movie, and he rejected he rejected modernity, and he rejected you know, possessions and money and social expectations and yeah, yeah, yeah, so yeah.
Speaker 2: That was the fact he went to my university.
Speaker 1: Oh did he?
Speaker 2: I didn't know him. I'm not saying that I didn't. I don't know what year he was. He probably didn't go to school at the same time I was there. But yeah, but yeah, I found that out. Yeah that was a really moving and it stays with you that movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a great That was a great film. I was talking to somebody. I don't know when it was, it was last week, I can't remember the day, but they said to me, like if if I was going to We were talking about just their life and you know, where you go, you know, people seem to keep making the same mistakes or they're in a kind of a groundhog day of bad behaviors and habits and rituals, and and they're like, what's the best question that I can ask myself? Oh, like, there's a million, right, But I said, here's a pretty good question if you ask it and you explore it and you answer it and then you do something about it. And the question is is what I'm doing working? Right? You can apply that to your food, your lifestyle, your sleep, your business, your relationships. And I'm like, because there are so many things that we do on autopilot that aren't working. Now, I know that seems overly simplistic, but I said to him. He actually went and got a serviette. We're at the Hamptons, and I go, so, write this question, is what I'm doing working? And then I gave him kind of fifteen areas of the human experience. I said, so apply that question to all of these different areas of your life, and then you could spend a week working on that. You could you know, well, what am I currently doing in regards to my health? What am I doing that's not working?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: There are three things? Cool? What are the things great? No judgment, no self loathing, just awareness, awareness and courage and honesty. Cool. Now regarding those three things that aren't working, what could you do better? What is the solution?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: Regarding that? What's one thing that you will do, will do, not hope to do, might do one thing that you will do, and then we you know, then we go through that for career, and then we go through that for perhaps you know, nutrition, or then we go through that for whatever it is, right, and I said, look at the end of that, you're going to have such a fucking gigantic to do list that you won't know where to start. Don't let that be a reason to not start. So then once we get that kind of that framework and that awareness and that acknowledgment, now then I want you to pick the five things that you really need to do. Don't don't throw the rest out, but let's just focus on, you know, creating some momentum and moving the needle on a few things. And I'm not talking about let's run a marriag fun in three weeks, so let's build an empire by fucking February. I'm just saying, let's start to move the needle. If you had to ask somebody like one of those kinds of questions, that might really give context too. And what I like about those kinds of questions is they're really broadly relevant. You can almost ask it about. Do you have a similar one that you ask people?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have a few, like you. I think one of them is again, like you said, it's super simple, but what is important to you, Like, what's actually important to you?
Speaker 1: Does that kind of coincide with what are my values?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's the same pretty much the same question. And then the second one would be what's getting in the way? What are the obstacles? Because I think that's what people go around in circles because they're not actually they don't know why they can and then they just judge themselves and they just say something like their self sabotaging or something that's very broad and vague, and it's like, well, that's not going to actually help you remove an obstacle by labeling yourself. You actually have to know what they are and so you can do something specific about them. And then in terms of obstacles, then I will get them to think about well them in terms of categories, because I think there's so many different kinds of obstacles. So what are the emotional obstacles, what are the thoughts getting in the way, what are the behaviors getting in the way, what are the relationships getting in the way, and what are the circumstances that could be getting in the way. And I think that that like those two questions like what's important to you and what's getting in the way, can lead to what you're saying it's like, okay, if I have. If I have, then I can kind of well, what's important to me? Then I know what my goals and my values and goals are. And then well, if I'm not I haven't been able to reach my goals, then I really need some clarity about what's getting in the way. And if I look at them in those five categories, I'll be able to figure out, well, what are the main things. Is it because I'm telling myself that I can't or my definition of success is very black and white, or is it anxiety, you know, and fear that's getting in the way, or is it do I have people in my life that are actually creating difficulties? Yes, for however however they might be doing that. Are they putting are they putting blocks up? Or do I have too many things on my plate and I can't do it because of the relationships and the circumstances, Or there might be other circumstances like you know, I'm a care and I don't have time, or I have an injury, or you know, like there's there's so many different circumstance, financial circumstance things again in the way, Because it's quite a validating process too, So it's saying, like, you know, there are real reasons. It's not just about you being a person who can't do it. You know.
Speaker 1: It's not an exercise in self loathing. It's self aware, Yeah, exactly, it's self reflection. It's and I think it's okay to go, well, i've got a really sore ankle, I can't run, of course, cool, So what can you do though? Oh yeah, okay, what can you do? Also I've got no money. I can't join a gym. That's cool. You don't need money to be able to move your body or you know, whatever it is. And it's not we're not trying to throw anyone under the bus, but I think that, you know, like if I had two hundred people in a room, and I've done a version of this probably over a thousand times, and I say, put up your hand if there's something about you or your life or your lifestyle or your body or your outcomes something, don't overthink it, just be that you want to change that you want to change, and every hand goes up. Of course, I go, now put up your hand if there's multiple things, and every hand goes up. And because life happens around us and despite us and to us, you know, and it's like life happens anyway. You can be a passenger in your own life. You can. You can blink your eyes and it's fucking three years later, and you're telling yourself the same stories and you've still got the same intentions and the same plans and the same ideas, but you're still doing the same dumb shit, which is keeping you trapped in a psychological, emotional, physiological, clinical groundhog day because you're not actually doing anything to get out of those patterns and rituals that are keeping you trapped. So you know, and this is a real exercise size in self awareness and to go listen, my life ain't going to fix itself. My health, my immune system, my shitty posture, my fucking overthinking mind. Like that's not going to just one day be better. I need to do some work and I need to identify one, what are the things that I need to or want to change? In two what is the work that I need to do?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I love that that right versus effective thing, like like I use that all the time with my clients. I think it's so so haigh And for myself. And it's so great into personally because we can get into these like you know, wanting to be right in an argument for instance, it's like, hold on, what's my aim here? Like am I Am I going to achieve my aim by like continuing to want to be right? Or do I need to think about what's going to be effective in the situation. But I think that people can get really stuck in like what should be, which should be you know, easier to reach my goals for instance, and not really looking at what actually the reality is. It's like, well, let's accept the reality that it's actually not easy and that it's full and you have you know, you have to do A before B and you know, and and that that doesn't have to be something you judge yourself for if your pace is a little bit different to somebody else's or your A is further from the further from the B than it is for somebody else. Yes, I think, yeah, I think judgment is and you've said that, but self loathing thing that people can can get into is that's what keeps people really really stuck and certainly one of the main obstacles to getting things done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think you can like these things can coexist where I can say, okay, so I fucked up, all right, just putting out my hand. I fucked up. I made a decision, I spoke out a turn, or I did a dumb thing whatever, without going, ah, you're a fucking idiot, you know. I like, yeah, I'm a more on. I always do stupid things. I'm so dumb. No, No, I did a dumb thing. Perhaps I made a bad decision. I took about action. I created an outcome I didn't want. Okay, one, what can I learn? What will I do differently? What am I going to do now? Like, what's my action now? And so, of course you're flawed. Of course you're an idiot, and then of course you're brilliant, and of course you have peaks and troughs, and of course you're sad and now you're happy, and of course you have breakthroughs and breakdowns. Of course, you know this is the human experience. We're not telling you not to be broken, because sometimes you're going to be and sometimes you're going to be a bit brilliant, you know. So the challenge is, let's navigate being human, but let's control our controllables and let's try to live consciously and proactively rather than unconsciously and reactively.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think that going back to what we were talking about before, I think that that level of acceptance without judgment is where contentment lives, and that you can have that and still know that you can do and be better. Right, Yeah, and that's still contentment.
Speaker 1: I don't know if we helped anyone tonight, but you know, it was good to chat.
Speaker 2: Always to chat with you.
Speaker 1: Where can people connect with you, Doc.
Speaker 2: Lili dot com, Doctor Lilian dot com. I should know. My own website is a good place and contain your brain. Dot com is another good place if you want to calm down some of those those thoughts and ruminate, ruminating thoughts and worries that you have.
Speaker 1: Giddy up but a coup. Always love chatting with you. We'll say goodbar off here, but thanks for hanging out yet again, thank you for having me