Speaker 1: I record this podcast on Gaetgol Country. I'd like to pay my respect to the traditional.
Speaker 2: Custodians, and I'm recording on Urando Country, part of the Cooler Nation.
Speaker 3: Let's go.
Speaker 4: I know you're going to dig this.
Speaker 1: It's like I've been given like an extra sprinkle of something.
Speaker 5: You've got layers, Yeah, I got layers.
Speaker 2: I was just thinking, I'm like, we're just such beautiful storytellers.
Speaker 4: You're making a lot of sense to that girl. Now I'm done.
Speaker 3: Let's be in too honest to go.
Speaker 2: So, guys, I recently turned thirty and honestly think, what the fuck am I doing with my life? Honestly, I don't even know how I got here, Maddie. I really don't, because I didn't think that I would get here. And I'm just figuring it out. And the best person to have on the podcast who has written a book about it is figuring out thirty Bridget Huseway and welcome to the pod. Yes, welcome, since first, how are you?
Speaker 6: I'm so excited to like chat to you guys in this format, Like obviously no you broke Maddie.
Speaker 5: It's our first time meeting.
Speaker 6: But yeah, I think this is such an exciting conversation, and especially because you're about to turn thirty and Brooke justin thirty, so yeah, get tricks. Like.
Speaker 1: The thing about me, though, is I'm excited to turn thirty, Like I am really thrilled to get older. Yeah, because I feel like I'm just starting to figure out who I am and what I love and my core values. I'm really getting to that point in my life. So I feel like getting older for me is exciting. Is that that's not a common thing you would hear, right.
Speaker 5: I don't think it's common.
Speaker 2: I mean when you look like Maddie like he's.
Speaker 3: You've got ten years on me, I swear.
Speaker 5: Come on, you both look like baite, Well we are we are?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the grand scheme of things, thirty is young.
Speaker 2: Like Rachel makes this perfect comment and like analogy, I guess when you know, like not to take it to a morbid term, but like when someone dies and you see their age and they're like thirty, thirty five, forty, You're like, holy shit, they were young. Yeah, and we think, oh that's old, Like no, we're just getting started.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, total agree.
Speaker 6: No, it's I love the mindset that you were excited to approach this new decade. I wasn't like that approaching thirty. But it is weird, I guess when some people, especially women, approaching this decade because of these more traditional kind of external pressures that we do face. And you think of the generations before us, and those milestones were suddenly down having a kid, buying a house. It's just not really applicable to our generation now. But it is an exciting chapter. And when you said about you know your values, and this is a time where you can really yes, set those kind of expectations for yourself and what you actually really want versus what you think you should want because of what people actually expect of you. So you are coming in guns blaze.
Speaker 4: I'm excited.
Speaker 1: I truly am, like I feel like I'm just getting started, you know, in all aspects. But I want to ask you, obviously, you know, you hit thirty, some people have this like pressure on themselves or they feel this pressure from society that we should have it all figured out, you know. But it must have taken a lot of reflection for you to put this book out, you know, a lot of I suppose more self discovery at the age of thirty. What was the process like of like digging through the first thirty years and then being able to like be like, okay, well this is what I know.
Speaker 5: Well, well, the timeline was interesting, I guess.
Speaker 6: So six weeks before I turned thirty, also six days before my first book came out, my partner of five years broke up with me random Wednesday night. We were three weeks into a brand new rental lease, so we just moved to a new house and it happened, and it just I guess the timing of it, especially so close to turning thirty and thinking that I was entering this new decade feeling I guess somewhat settled. Was not the case, and then you know, big breakup, but then it kind of turned into and like sometimes it sounds cringe, but I do think with the big breakup comes a big breakthrough, and you use that kind of opportunity, especially heading into thirty, being like, all right, well, what the hell do I actually like want for myself for the next ten years, How do I actually want to start.
Speaker 5: This new decade of life?
Speaker 6: And yeah, I was already feeling a little bit of unease right before this even happened, Like I remember putting in my phone notes up about like, you know, on paper, everything's fine approaching thirty, but there's still this sense of unease, not sure why want to talk about it though? And I even at that point, I was like, should I start a podcast one day about this transition turning thirty? And I was still you know, full time music presenter on Triple J at that point and doing that.
Speaker 5: But just on the side, I was like, I'm really.
Speaker 6: Keen to have those kind of conversations, you know, about life and what adulthood is like to navigate.
Speaker 5: So yeah, I kind of used that moment.
Speaker 6: I was obviously grieving and you know, trying to start a new life for myself, but I am experiencing like all the feels in real time. But I was also very observant of what I was feeling and what was happening in a broader sense about like, what is it about thirty? I was thinking back to, you know, growing up, we look at Bridget Jones, we look at Rachel in Friends, we look at Suddenly thirty, Adall's album thirty, Like all of these things have actually been commentary on this age. So there's clearly a fascination and a conversation to be had and then I kind of just started plotting a podcast, which was kind of something that I treated as a pilot to see if I enjoyed that kind of outlet, and then it led to a book deal. So it's kind of been like three years in the making of like and still experiencing a lot of stuff in real time, you know. Throughout the process of writing the book, I got an ADHD diagnosis, So it's been a massive three years. But the timeline's been really interesting to be able to experience it, reflect and figure out some things and like why I'm the way I am, and then I guess put it on paper and kind of report back to everyone on it. So yeah, it's been quite intensive. But now the book is out and to already kind of receive the feedback that it's been a good you know, frame of reference with people, or that it's been comforting, and there's still so much ahead, like I still have so much to kind of experience and figure out. But I guess that's how it's all been shaped for me.
Speaker 4: It seems like it was a bit of a process though yes.
Speaker 5: I had a big goal take time.
Speaker 2: I mean, when you're putting yourself out there and like writing you know, these personal experiences.
Speaker 3: It's not easy.
Speaker 2: Like you know, I relate to the whole point of like the things in your notes, because like even if you just write it in your notes and you come back to it later, it really transports you back to that time and you can look at where you what time you wrote.
Speaker 3: It's crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's why I mean I write everything in my notes, even like memories of that come up. And I really loved your book Bridge because I felt like, as a reader, you want to feel like you're being transported, and I felt like I was getting an insight into your life of those three years or even longer know in your career, and I just felt like you as a writer, you just articulate so many i'd say from a female's perspective, like so many relatable experiences that we and questions are we all ask, but we sometimes don't know how to like you know, either us.
Speaker 3: Or figure out what we're wanting. Just why do we feel like that? Yeah?
Speaker 2: And I think creating that dialogue is like so helpful to make someone's situation or experience normal in a sense like what is normal, but like normalize it in a way that it's like Oh okay, they're having those conversations too. What's the general feedback that you've got from people like can I.
Speaker 6: Ask definitely that people feel seen and validated? Yes, because yeah, and I mean people beyond thirty as well. I had someone who's twenty five message to me. I've had someone you know, people in their forties, and that's you know, you look at the title and you see Figuring out thirty. And also, I don't want it to come across that it's a self help book.
Speaker 3: This is not. Yeah, no, I don't.
Speaker 5: Have answers for you. I'm probably going to leave you with more questions.
Speaker 6: But I just have thoughts and ponderings that I want to share and that you might share them, and by doing so that makes you feel a little bit more seen and validated. And the only reason I do it is because of not having those frames of references when I was navigating it. So for endo, I didn't have a book that I could turn to when I was spending twelve years to get a diagnosis when I was turning thirty. I mean, obviously her do Olderton love, oh yeah, but a specific book on turning thirty didn't quite exist for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what is it that you learned most about yourself during that process? Like, obviously there would have been a lot of digging, self reflection and discovery, but what is maybe the one thing that you took away from the experience that you went, wow, like that taught me so much.
Speaker 5: From rinning the book? Yeah, oh golly, I think it is so much in there.
Speaker 6: Well, I think, yeah, Like ultimately it was having just awareness for understanding why I am the way I am and how I've been able to process particular things based on how I was raised and various real relationships throughout my life which have all been lessons of course. But then I guess, you know, taking that and being like what do I want to do with it? And what do I I guess having that willingness to make change. No one likes change, and especially changing yourself.
Speaker 3: It's uncomfortable.
Speaker 6: It's so uncomfortable, and yeah, especially at this time of life when you're expected to have so much figured out and you feel like you're kind of being you know, reported or marked on how.
Speaker 5: Well you're adulting.
Speaker 6: Right, Yeah, No one likes criticism, rejection and change. But I think just being able to kind of take that on and then kind of having that front of mind, like what am I going to do with this moving forward? So yeah, it's like one thing to be aware, but then to actually actions change has been you know, and that's still a process for me, Like there's clearly still things that I have to work on. And I've brought a lot of anxious tendencies into my current relationship with my partner Oscar, who's definitely a more secure person.
Speaker 2: And does he make you more secure in a sense, like because I've like read about attachment issues, right, and they're like, you know that if you are with a secure person, it kind of can sort of drives like this role modeling in a sense.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yes, and no.
Speaker 6: Like it's also he's five years younger than me, so there's definitely differences in how we will communicate or you know, express our emotions, I suppose. And yeah for me coming from such like such an anxious place, Yeah, yeah, it's so.
Speaker 4: Fund someone be so secure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's that like?
Speaker 5: Nice?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're like the grass is really green over there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's been like sometimes that's hard to digest that You're like, how are you so secure about this? And I am My brain is exploding and I think That's also been another thing with my ADHD, like how much that has actually come into relationships and getting that diagnosis thirty two, thirty three, you know, that's made a world of difference to kind of understand Yeah, how I am as a thirty three year old female. So yeah, there's still like a lot that I am learning and figuring out. But I think as well, Like one of the biggest realizations too, was among all this was just the reminder to be like, God, you got to go a bit easy on yourself.
Speaker 5: Oh, we're all.
Speaker 2: Like because in ten years you're gonna be like fucking figure out forty right.
Speaker 5: It doesn't And that's the thing.
Speaker 6: It doesn't matter like at what age. Like for me, yes, this was the transition into my thirties, that was a very particular time. This can happen to anyone in their late thirties, forties, or already happening to them in their twenties, Like we're all navigating something and asking questions about ourselves or having existential crisis of thoughts at any time.
Speaker 5: It doesn't end. You're always going to be figuring things out.
Speaker 1: Do you think that it's different for men and women and that age of thirty and what we experience once we sort of get around to this idea that okay, we're thirty. You know, obviously there's the societal pressures, you know, the women and.
Speaker 4: You know, having children.
Speaker 1: But did you learn anything about the difference between men and women in that moment in their lives during this process?
Speaker 6: I would say that men definitely don't have the same pressure, pressure and stresses. And you know, even when you look at a single man in their thirties compared to a single woman.
Speaker 5: We look at a man and be like, how can you be single?
Speaker 6: You look at a woman who's single in her thirties, it's something wrong with her, right, You know, there is definitely a difference the biological clock. We have to factor that in. We have to factor that in with our careers, especially working in media. For me, like, I think about it all the time in a freelance capacity to what was what would happen if I had a child now?
Speaker 5: And being someone who.
Speaker 6: Works you know, on television and across you know, these kind of platforms, how you've seen as a woman who's just had kids, your brand, you know, I think there's a lot of disadvantages. I think beauty standards as well. Like I have a chapter called Body Better, and it was essentially a timeline of from the age of what was I five or six when I got my ears pinned back because I didn't like how my ears locked and going from six up to age thirty two and all of the external appearance things that I personally have grappled with, and then bringing that out to a broader sense. I think the pressure on women and youth and how women age in society, we have it. I think we have it a lot harder. What do you think, Maddie.
Speaker 1: Great question, you totally I think the like, just being from my own point of view, I had a single mom. I've got with a single mom with three boys, and was taken away from my mum quite early in my life, so it ended up in foster care, and I didn't really have a female figure, a healthy female role model.
Speaker 4: In my life for a very long time. I moved to my dad's and then I ended up growing up with my dad.
Speaker 1: So one thing that I've realized is that when I was little, I didn't see a lot of women at that age, or I didn't my sister wasn't around, I didn't have a lot of women in my life who I was able to see and connect with around that age. So I think that there's a lot of experiences that, even for me as a man, that are ingrained in me.
Speaker 4: That I talk about this.
Speaker 1: All the time, trying to really get rid of the layers of misogyny that I have myself, even though I don't see myself as a misogynist, but there are so many experiences that I've been through in my life that I feel like just ingrained certain mindsets make you see certain things a certain way. And so it's like, as a man, I think that maybe we all have a role to playing being able to shed those views on how we interact, how we respect, and how we see women.
Speaker 4: You know, obviously I.
Speaker 1: See that there's huge societal disadvantage to women and how they're treated, especially in the workforce, and I think that maybe as men we need to really be more observant of how we interact with women.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, well, here's the thing.
Speaker 6: Everyone is a victim underpatriarchy, men and women.
Speaker 5: Yes, it is.
Speaker 6: You know, women obviously have it worse, and gender diverse people as well, but you're also under that structure, and we all have those moments of internalized misogyny. You know, I've certainly had it, but yeah, again, I guess it comes down to that awareness of being able to recognize it and the willingness to unlearn it. But this is you know, like we're talking about, this has been ingrained like history, right, so, but as long as you know, that's why those these conversations are so important to kind of create that dialogue and coming from the context of women aging and getting older, Yeah, I mean a lot is to be said to be improved with it, and especially when you talk about the workforce as well, Like we're in this position right, like where we can be in the workforce and I love having a very career driven life, but at what cost, especially when we're the ones who have to be the vessel for a child. Ye, we're in the workforce, but nothing's actually changed in the domestic sphere for us to We're expected to do the work at work, but then to do the work at home as well, you know, And that's why like so many women are like opting out of having kids because it's like, well, I'm like, literally what's in it for me?
Speaker 5: And that's not to say that.
Speaker 3: Like a beautiful child wouldn't be great. I would be and that.
Speaker 6: Love, you know, would be unlike anything else. But we are being a bit more contemplative on making that decision, which is you know, I think we're.
Speaker 3: So entitled to that as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like women should be entitled to put their careers, you know first, I think above those sort of big decisions, Like I think.
Speaker 3: Like that that's a pressure that I just wouldn't want, you know, like the future to have.
Speaker 2: Maybe you want to talk about the radio industry, bridge about your career in Triple J, Like, did you ever experience those barriers or those hurdles that you had to sort of jump through as a like as a woman, particularly like obviously.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I remember having a manager at Triple J who said to me. I remember expressing to her once being like, I, you know, yeah, I've just turned thirty. I left there when I was thirty one, thirty two, and I remember saying to her at one point being like, I don't want to feel like I'm.
Speaker 5: Too old to be here.
Speaker 6: Because it is a youth broadcast of the age, the key demographic is eighteen to twenty four, which you know, I think is really narrow.
Speaker 2: But I didn't know that actually, YEAHM eighteen to twenty four.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's not I mean, it's clearly not an accurate reflection of the listenership. Yeah, and it is very narrow. But I remember, you know, saying to my manager being like, I just don't want to feel that people. I'm scared that people will think that I'm too old to be on Triple J now. And I remember her saying to me, you know, we don't care about that, and we're not going to say to you, you know, because you're technically out of the demographic that you are too old to be on air. That's not important to me. What is important to me is how you connect with listeners. That was a really positive, yeah, interaction that I won't forget having with that particular manager. But I get angry still when I do think about those moments where I am actually thinking and yeah, thirty is young, but so annoying to me that I was having these hesitations and insecurities. But then I was looking on and you know, it's not to take like a personal dig, but like observing other presenters who may have been on air, older guys who have been there a long time, and I'm like they seem pretty comfortable. Are they having these thoughts that they might be a bit too old or is it just because I'm a female that I have, you know, this fear I guess of aging because of the language that we use surrounding aging women and in a media landscape, and especially when you do have to face to camera, I guess those kind of things. We're the ones who were doing our hair and makeup and wanting like it's always.
Speaker 3: To present ourselves in a way that is.
Speaker 6: Desirable, exactly and essentially youthful rights.
Speaker 3: And then if you work out with no makeup, they're like, are you sick?
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I'm not fucking sick, and I chose to not wear makeup.
Speaker 3: This is my natural face. Fuck you.
Speaker 6: So there's definitely yeah, like wider perspective, like on the media landscape, I think it's still an issue, and I even think of like I remember working with a guy who was lovely, but I remember him saying.
Speaker 5: This was nothing bad on him.
Speaker 6: But I remember he had to leave early to go pick up his kids because it was a school run, and all the comments to him were like, you're such a good dad, Like oh, that's so sweet, Like we fully glorify that. But if it was a woman doing it, that's an inconvenience and she's not taking her job seriously or she just can't I get it together. Yeah, I just think the language is so different. So yeah, those have been I guess my key. Like again, I'm lucky in the sense that I've never had I've never had anyone say to me you're too old. I mean, if anything, people are like, you're thirty three or whatever, and I'm just like, I know, I'm a big baby, like I just but we all like it's again, it's still a young age. But yeah, I'm sure there's people who've had worse experiences.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: I feel like I'm just gonna be figuring it out all Like we're all.
Speaker 5: Just figuring you never work it out, That's what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, exactly, And I don't think you know, your book is like those reflections. But yeah, like you said, like they're not the answer the questions we're all asking, These bloody questions I always say, like to my twenties were like my developmental fuck it up years.
Speaker 3: Of destruction here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm like so grateful for them. Man, I have no idea what I was doing, but I was like here for it.
Speaker 3: Because I look back at those moments and I'm like, yeah.
Speaker 6: But I've never met anyone who said that I would love to go back to my twenties.
Speaker 5: I want to be in my twenties again. I am so exactly.
Speaker 1: You know what I get jealous of when I think about, like the people in my hometown because I come from a small town Tenworth who are like twenty five and they've bought their first home and they're with their partner and they've got their kids.
Speaker 4: I'm like, the simple life must be so fun.
Speaker 3: But I'm like, what is the attraction?
Speaker 4: Like I like, but everyone's so jealous.
Speaker 1: I'm like, you know, because I think big dreamers, people who have you know, freelance careers, are always hustling and also putting that pressure on themselves. True, you know, in their twenties to try and make it, But do you think that that pressure is worth it?
Speaker 5: Like, well, I mean I grew up in Balorat, so I have a lot of friends.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: It's that regional upbringing where it is kind of like go to UNI, get married, have your kids, and that's fine. I think at the end of the day, everyone has different markers and we're all clearly running a different race. But you just have to be able to tap into whatever that is and just make sure that what you're doing is what you really want to do, Like ask yourself, like really, like you not getting caught up in you think it's because you should be doing that. And I think that's definitely how I felt with my previous relationship.
Speaker 5: I put him on.
Speaker 6: The pedestal as being the one because I was like, you know, I'm approaching thirty, like, of course this this is the relationship where we're going to settle down. You know, I have my my silly relationship at twenty one or whatever. This is the serious one, Like he's the one, and then that clearly didn't work out.
Speaker 3: Oh we need to get rid of that. How do we get rid of that branche? You know?
Speaker 6: Like I wish I knew, but I guess, Like again, like hindsight's beautiful thing and it's just having that awareness and it extends to work as well. I don't think there's such a thing as you know. I like how you framed the one Brook where you're saying it's the one for you know, because you'll have.
Speaker 3: Taught me yes, this there's a dot dot dot.
Speaker 2: And I think like people need to really live in that like dot dot dot kind of mentality of like leave it open and figure it out, like I do know, like everyone is the one, like and be.
Speaker 5: The one for that point of time in your life.
Speaker 6: But to say that I just really don't like the whole one for the rest of my life.
Speaker 4: Pressure.
Speaker 6: I mean maybe I've commitment issues, but like locking in and putting all that pressure on the one person.
Speaker 4: Day by day.
Speaker 1: We had a we had a therapist on a matchmaker, sorry, a matchmaker and therapist as well, but she said, you know, you make a daily decision to be with that person on that day. Yeah, it's a very day to day choice. And I see because I was saying, I'm doing the exact same thing. I'm not putting this pressure on my relationship to be like I'm with you forever, forever, forever. It's like we're just together now in this moment because we love each other and we want to be together now because there's a lot of pressure. There is so much pressure.
Speaker 6: It's comparison culture really yeah, but then what we neglect and it sounds I know, it sounds crunge, but we neglect what is the one, and that is you.
Speaker 5: And because you are with you for your whole life, you gotta like yourself.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but we totally neglect that and we forget that for us to kind of show up as a better person and towards our other relationships, towards our work and although aspirations like you have to really spend time on the relationship that you have with yourself because that will make you better with all these other things, and you have to find happiness and fulfillment in other areas. You can't just put it all into one basket, whether that is a job or whether that is in a relationship. The only time in which you should put it all into one basket, if it's for you. That's probably another big lesson that I had from writing this, being like, yeah, I really just need to make sure that i'm and I think of this in the context of if I want to be a mom, I'm like, I need to work on some of my own ship first. I know they say you're never no one's ever ready to have kids, but I know I've.
Speaker 3: Got filled as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, you don't just like wake up and you're like I'm here.
Speaker 5: I'm fit like everything.
Speaker 6: You know, you're going to continue figuring out parenthood as you're a parent. But for me personally, I know I.
Speaker 5: Do need to take care of a few things before I actually do that.
Speaker 3: I think that's everyone.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it feels like that, well, yeah, I'm on that journey.
Speaker 1: I'm just starting that sort of fatherhood journey at the moment. Yeah, so I'm really wanting to create embryos at the end of the year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I can see process.
Speaker 1: It's it's been on my mind, I would say, you know for many, many years, but it's I'm getting to that point where I feel like I'm doing a lot of work on myself and been able to really get clear and the clarity from the work that I did last year and just being with my partner now and you know, being on the same page about something is like super important and having that supporting person. So but I've always felt I would do it alone. Wow, if like my timeline never depended on a partner, And that's that, right, and that's not the pressure that you faced. But you know what I mean, for me as a man, I don't have that biological clock that is like, oh, you know, I need to to think about it now. Yeah, it's like there's no pressure. So I've always felt like even if I was thirty five or forty, I could still do it on my own, you know, as a dad and fully be okay with that. Yeah, I'd love to talk a little bit about your career, okay, and talk about some of the highs and lows. I mean, let's go with the highest first. What have been some of the major highlights for you over the last few years that made you maybe think yeah made it or yeah, yes I did this. You know.
Speaker 5: I can answer this instantly.
Speaker 6: I go straight to interviewing Dolly Alderton a few months ago in Brisbane. Okay, my god, it was literally like, look, it could be the best thing I've ever done. Best night, Like, so, you know, I reallyd my Dolly's books, and she was a great source of comfort when I was, you know, making this transition into my thirties and this opportunity came up. This is actually this is another little side note too, when we speak about like opportunities in the context of work and in this kind of capacity or for any I guess, but I'm definitely someone who can't just sit back and expect things to come to me. If I'm a chaser Seagal, yes, if I want to, and I wish more people were part of me is like a gatekeeper, and I don't want people to because competition, But I just I just don't understand how people can sit back and expect things to come to them when you have to.
Speaker 3: We talk about that a lot.
Speaker 6: Actually, yeah, if you want to do something like I, you know, I want to do something. I wanted to host the Aria Red Carpet. I emailed them, you know, nearly a year out and was like, this is on my bucket list. I think I'd be really good at it. Now I've done it for the last two years. Dolly Olderton came up. Actually emailed the production company just to have her on my podcast, and they said they weren't sure if she was going to have any on ground press stuff, but they might need a host for Brisbane and I was like, oh, well, definitely, like keep me in the loop.
Speaker 5: Then I didn't hear anything.
Speaker 6: For like a couple of months, and I was like, I just need to I need to circle back in here. You know, we hate circling back in. We hate just you know, just checking it's an ego thing.
Speaker 2: We're like, yeah, I do it, but I like, Matt's really got to Yeah, I'm not going to asking like.
Speaker 4: I'm so good.
Speaker 1: I'm at presenting an opportunity that may not have, you know, which includes yourself.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Like it's like because I always think people aren't looking out for you, like you can look out for yourself. So it's like even you know, to get get away. It was like for me, it was about watching something, seeing an opportunity and be like, you've never had a black fellow on that show, so let me take this to you and say, hey, we're talking about country Land, why don't you have a first nation's presenter?
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: So they thought it was a greater up and then they said no, right.
Speaker 4: At first, they said that we'll think about it.
Speaker 1: Like it was like a go away and shoot your own episode basically.
Speaker 5: Like a pitch.
Speaker 1: Segment, and I did and I went and did a really good job at that, and then sort of brought it to them and went, hey, you know, and they were like, oh, I didn't realize that you would go to that length. So it's like they actually did like the idea. Sometimes it's too much work for them to even conjure up the thought because they're not thinking of you. So if you can give it to them on a silver platter, Hey, this is my experience. I think I'll be really good at hosting the Aria Red Carpet because I know ABC at EFG and then they go, okay, you're a great idea.
Speaker 6: You know, essentially with the solutions called blick an eye right, absolutely, everyone's like, you know, in their own mind, their own world.
Speaker 3: Possible exactly.
Speaker 6: And also but sometimes they just don't even consider that because they are busy doing other things. And I definitely found that even at Triple J because I broadcast mostly from Melbourne, but the main studios are in Sydney. So obviously the presenters who are in the Sydney studios because they're you know, seeing them face to face every day, probably gonna get more opportunity. But my one of my old managers used to call me her seagull because I was just up in her face.
Speaker 5: Being like you need to fill in. I'm ready.
Speaker 6: I'm like I can do this whatever, show, who's taking leave, whatever, and like I didn't.
Speaker 5: Give a shit if I was annoying.
Speaker 6: I was like determined as hell and with this dolly one like just to you know, follow up and be like, hey, how's that going, you know, like I really want to do it?
Speaker 5: And then I got it.
Speaker 6: But I wouldn't have got it if I didn't reach out to them, because they clearly didn't think of.
Speaker 5: Me for that, which is fine.
Speaker 6: But then I approved myself and you know I did this night at the Performing Art Center in Brisbane. She was an absolute delight. You know, nothing better when you meet an idol and they are just everything that you hope for.
Speaker 5: She is just superb. And it's also one of those things where it's like, I know I probably sound.
Speaker 6: Like super egotistical, but you know, like when you know that you've just like absolutely killed it, like even you did better than what you thought.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't think that.
Speaker 3: I think that's backing yourself.
Speaker 6: It's such an unnatural thing to sack out, and it's uncomfortable because you're like, oh, like it.
Speaker 1: Also validates the fact that you were so right about you being the person, you know what I mean, Like you had that idea, you went to them and you were like, okay, I know that I can do this really well. Yeah, and then you do it and it's like I knew, I knew this, I knew this was going to happen.
Speaker 3: It's like your needs being met.
Speaker 2: Like you're like I asked for something, I got it and I crushed it, and it's like one of your needs being met. And I don't know this. It's probably a thing where it's like uncomfortable in a sense because you're not used to it. Maybe and then it happens and you're like, oh my god, yeah, like you're yeah.
Speaker 6: And again, I think as women as well, we are never wants to be like yeah, I crushed that. Like you have a board meeting, right, and a guy will come in so confident and you know that's without hesitation that they will gast themselves up.
Speaker 5: Women need to be more like that. It's even when we us.
Speaker 2: Like sit down, Yeah, that mentality with women, it's like, oh, sit down.
Speaker 6: We always apologize, even if we're chasing something up or or just wondering. Why does it have to be just wondering I'm wondering or I want to know because we think like yeah. The language again for that is like women are coming cross as like being too much, too difficult, too to manny, but no, I crushed it and she said I crushed it. I got so much feedback, like from people on TikTok. I went straight into my hotel room after it and just burst into tears because I was like, this was happy, too, unbelievable. So that's definitely like the biggest I think it is the biggest professional highlight. And I think the context of the conversation too, because we were talking about this kind of stuff of navigating life as a millennial woman in our thirties, friendships and the power of that, and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was do you think she's read your book? Well?
Speaker 6: I gave her an advanced copy, okay, so it was still, you know, a bit uncorrected. It wasn't the final version, but she has it. She knows it exists, and she's like liked my posts on it. So I never expected her to read it because she's so busy and I'm sure she has books thrown at her all the time. But even just to get those kind of compliments from her, like, you know, she just said that I was like brilliant and it's just what she needed and she was so happy and.
Speaker 5: Like she was beaming. Yeah, So I was like I did her proud and did me, everyone proud.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that was.
Speaker 5: The professional highlight.
Speaker 3: Do we want to do the low live there? Because yeah?
Speaker 4: Because it also shows yeah, the contrast.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Well it's not like a specific incident, I suppose, but I think it's that general thing of and you know, I guess you know, in my time at Triple J and I ride about it and it's not to you know, throw them under the bus or say that they're shit. But I did have some negative experiences where I felt that I wasn't managed in a capacity where I was actually being utilized for my skill set as a music presenter. I think there was my time there at the station, and it looks it does look like things are different now. And this is also stuff that they know because I like demanded an exit meeting even though I quit. You know, I didn't have to have one, but I was like, I want to sit down and tell you everything that I'm feeling because I don't want any other presenters to feel this. I didn't have to care, like I really didn't owe them anything. I didn't owe them that diligence. But I really care about music, and I care about music presenters who are genuine music presenters who. All they want is that platform to help support, especially Australian artists, and they're not given the opportunities where they could really thrive. You know, an example I guess is Triple J have a feature album every week and the interview with the feature album star will typically go to Breakfast or Drive because of the programming hierarchy. But I was always under the belief that it doesn't matter if you don't. So let's say you're doing the morning slot, so there's a music presenter who does the mornings. I did Nighttime, I did the new music show Good Nights. There is no reason why I can't do that feature album interview, especially if I'm the most knowledgeable on that artist, or if I have a particular investment from the audience on that artist.
Speaker 3: You'd want that person.
Speaker 6: It should always go to the person who is going to get the best out of the artist, not just because they're on Breakfast or Drive. And they've changed that now, like I've seen the Morning's shift get you know some feature album interviews. I got one, but I was literally told because Breakfast or Drive couldn't do it, And that wasn't nice to be told the choice. Yeah, when I ended up being an awesome interview, great feedback, and I always knew I could do it, but there were just certain processes and people, certain particular ways that didn't allow that to typically happen.
Speaker 5: So those kind of barrier having variety.
Speaker 2: And diversity with your talent, though, Like let's be honest, and then it's good to hear that they've taken that on board, like your feedback or have they really.
Speaker 6: I think so, like I've seen then this is purely just from what I see on socials and seeing other presenters who may not have typically got that opportunity and now getting it. And I'm not here to say that I am taking full credit for that, but it is important. That's why it's important to have those conversations so you can help kind of steer, you know, play a.
Speaker 5: Little part in that change totally.
Speaker 6: And you know, I could look at it, and honestly, sometimes I do look at it. I'm a little bit like, like, I love that, but I'm just still kind of grieving. I suppose like it might be a little bit of bitterness, but I think it comes from grieving opportunities that I didn't get that I knew that.
Speaker 2: They're doing that because yeah, but like, I still.
Speaker 6: Definitely had an amazing run there and I loved the program that I did, but there were just those kind of barriers, even in the context of like my chronic illness, there were some barriers and that's ultimately like what led me to quit. But I don't I'm not here saying that they're shit. I think they're an amazing institution for Australian music and the very genuine music lovers that work there. But that's the thing as well, like when you talk about a negative experience, it can be uncomfortable because you fear that people think that you're just winging or complaining or complaining and just being difficult. But it was like, you know, I want to be able to talk about those things.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe we advocate for more diversity and in even in just at Novas, and we're so open about it, and I don't feel like we come across as complaining. We're like, no, we want to see it, yeah, because we know that it can be better. Yeah, And I think that's what is our drive, is making things better.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And again it's coming to it almost with the solution and not just presenting a problem totally. Yeah, But you know, people who work in these capacities and especially media, Like we've had execs who are you know, typically white dudes. You know, they usually run the.
Speaker 1: Show, so gatekeepers and they're so ingrained in the process that they've known, like even in this place, it is so hard. Like, let's talk about the radio landscape in general. There's such a lack of diversity commercial radio that is on air that is just like frightening to me. And it doesn't reflect society, doesn't reflect the diverse country that we have.
Speaker 2: Reflect our next generation as well. Yeah, it doesn't fluidness that's happening with totally gender you know, like challenging gender norms, and like it doesn't they don't.
Speaker 1: It doesn't reflect you know, I've sort of when I ask you about that courage, you know, how did you get that courage? Because I had to really muster up the courage to have meetings with, you know, the people who are able to create this change and people in those powerful positions. I love this both hear at Nova and at CRA you know. So it was about me being like, Okay, how am I going to do this? How am I going to come across in a way that isn't like the angry black man, you know, because they will label.
Speaker 3: Me as that and I'll be an angry black woman.
Speaker 6: But again, it's like just the way that you're coined for speaking up. And I mean, like we can look at Antoinette La two recent right, Yeah, being able to actually take this huge Yeah, it's always uncomfortable, and those things, Britney Higgins, those things show us why it's uncomfortable to speak up about unpleasant things, because people don't like to hear about unpleasant things. But it's also not our job to make people feel comfortable when they've done the ship there.
Speaker 2: Happy rainbows and lollipops. You're living in de lulul come on.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, there's a lot of change that needs to happen in the industry.
Speaker 2: But yeah, we've unpacked a lot in this episode Gonde Places. Yeah, and I can tell you, honestly, till the cows come home, I wonder what I actually don't know where that saying came from.
Speaker 4: To be fair, you got it right, though, you've got it right.
Speaker 1: Brook normally will say like a very common or well known saying, but there'll be one word that's wrong.
Speaker 4: So I was waiting for you to be like, yeah, when the sheep come home instead of the cows. But you got it, you got it.
Speaker 3: I think the color look like a cow.
Speaker 2: Cow. No, we've unpacked a lot and it's been such a pleasure. I guess chatting to you, and you know you don't. I love that you. You don't advocate advocate that you have all the answers.
Speaker 3: We don't. None of us have the answer. Who does?
Speaker 2: But don't trust them? Yeah, the journey, Yeah exactly, Gibson. Oh yeah, Apple cited vinegar. Are you watching that?
Speaker 6: I've done the first episode, but I finished reading the book that it's based on.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's released in twenty seven, called The Woman Who Fooled the World. Yeah, fantastic.
Speaker 6: It's from the two journalists that broke you know, the revelationtions. But yes, if someone is claiming to have ambassers for that stuff or life that they've figured life out, don't trust them.
Speaker 3: That's great advice.
Speaker 4: That's a good place to wrap.
Speaker 3: That is perfect. So where can we find your books? Plural?
Speaker 5: My book babies.
Speaker 6: They our own all good bookstores and there are some sign copies still available on book Topia as well. But I've got the link, like on my Instagram, and yeah, my short's in the show notes as well, but yeah that's where you can find it. And yeah, you can find me on Instagram if you if you want to.
Speaker 3: Hang, we'll put all that in the show notes.
Speaker 4: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's pretty much what all we have time for today. Thank you so much for listening guys to Bridge having me. It's so fun, such a pleasure. Yeah, yeah we did. If you love what you hear, which I did, leave us a little rating and review.
Speaker 1: And if you want us to cover anything on the pod, just reach out via our socials. Brooks is at brook Top Blurt and Minds is at its Maady Meals and where can they find your social.
Speaker 5: Media at bridget Hustaway.
Speaker 3: Great bye bye