Speaker 1: Hi, everyone, Welcome to a very special edition of Off the Record, the sports podcast of breaking news, hard opinion and a little bit of gibber, although today I expect a absolute shitload of gibber. Our guest today needs no introduction, but I will because he's kind of a big deal, as he regularly tells us. Born in Sydney on January fourteen, nineteen eighty two, he was destined for rugby league greatness as the nephew of South Sydney legend George Piggins. An Australian schoolboy in nineteen ninety nine, he made his NFL debut for Canterbury the following year. He was so impressive in his second year he was eventually crowned the Daly m Rookie of the Year, and was so impressive in that year that he was picked for the two thousand and one Kangaroo Tour, on which he learned many things about the game of rugby league, none of which can be repeated on a family podcast like Off the Record. His rise was meteoric. He came out the other side of the Bulldogs salary cap scandal before leading the club to the four premiership in six He was out the door headed to the Sydney Roosters, which suited his glamorous lifestyle and daily appearances in Sydney Confidential. He paid for New South Wales, Australia, Greece, and of course the highlight of his career thirty one matches for the West Tigers, where things were so tight they used to ration how much gatorade was being drunk each day. Playing football was never going to satisfy the appetite of this very ambitious young go getter TV in sports management Beckon and he smashed that like he smashes a golf ball. He's a face of NRL three sixty, sporting all brown suits and teeth so bright you can see them from the International Space Station. He's one of the He's one of the hardest working blokes you'll ever meet, and easily one of the best blokes I've got to know doing this job. He is, of course, breath and NaSTA.
Speaker 2: That was the best I've ever had introductions.
Speaker 3: He's a genius.
Speaker 1: Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 2: The white teeth got me still my favorites. I'm looking forward to this.
Speaker 1: How how are you good?
Speaker 3: Yeah, really good.
Speaker 2: Busy is always buzzed and I would just winging out the back about what's on at the moment, But.
Speaker 1: How much how much work you've gone on? Did you've taken on yourselves?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: You know, no one's on the gun to both of you.
Speaker 2: True, it's so true. I tend to say yes a lot. But that's really good.
Speaker 1: Webe I can't complain at all. Last, great good stuff. Let's get to the first question. Who sweats the most on three sixty? Me or buzz?
Speaker 2: I think I think it's you heavy naturally, But when I get buzzed with a good question, or I get him under the pump and the sweats start coming, then we go and break and he starts pacing to cool.
Speaker 4: Whenever I get worked up, I swear it and it just happens. I don't know if it's anxiety what it is, but I do want to reveal on this show. Because you cannot actually see the side of your desk. Yeah, you have a portable fan. Me, I do so you you do get edgy in that job?
Speaker 2: Or I know I have the fear there because once I got the sweats and I couldn't lose it. When you're hosting, you can't lose it. My shirt starts like getting soak and wet, and I hated the feeling.
Speaker 3: You know, you're like you boys when you start sweating.
Speaker 1: And you can't. The more you think about it, more you sweat.
Speaker 2: And I thought, you know what and Mal, because Mal has it every Saturday on Super Saturday. And I noticed that, and I'm like, can I have that fan? And I'll just I just have it there now just in case. But I don't genuinely sweat that much.
Speaker 4: You know. One of the wardrobe girls had to rush in with a blow drive for me once because it, yeah, just to drive my shirt.
Speaker 3: It's shocking for you know, you know why I sweat.
Speaker 1: I was talking to someone aout this the other week because I get so nervous about what's going to come out of my mouth, whether I'm going to fame someone or say something that I'm not supposed to say.
Speaker 3: You can get nervous about that movie.
Speaker 1: Because here I can't help must. I kind of will be honest.
Speaker 2: We're very much the same three of us, like you know, love or hate whatever. We're very strong with our opinions and we can't help ourselves sometimes I go, right tonight, I'm just going to sit back and let the other boys go. And then all of a sudden, I find myself deep into the argument saying things I would never have.
Speaker 3: Thought I would.
Speaker 4: But you know, you talk about heating up in these situations. I want to let listeners know we said here every Tuesday for this podcast, and we have an air condition above us whereb He's got it. On sixteen, it's the middle of winter.
Speaker 1: You're from the ghetto Brace. I interviewed you the first time in two thousand and two for Inside Sports magazine. You're a kid, and I was a kid basically myself, you know, and I've got to know you a lot over over over the years. How do you reflect on your football career? Let's start there. I think I remember, I remember, I remember you went on the Kangaroo too with like I alluded to there, and I remember speaking to Andrew John's afterwards and he said he'd never seen a kid at that age with so much skill.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think think when I reflect on it, I kind of think I could have been a lot better. I don't know if that's me sort of reading into other people's opinions more so, but that just infiltrated me over a long period of time. I know, I let other people's opinions get in my head a lot and struggle with that, especially the middle period of my career. When I first burst onto the scene, I was kind of just playing like I was playing in the backyard. It was just come so natural to me. I was very confident a little bit of arrogance there, but you kind of need that. And then I tried to pull that back because I had so many people having their opinions and talking about how because I was pretty animated on the field, I was quite an emotional player. I had natural talent, and you know, I've played for Australia and New South Wales so early on in my career and got the Rookie of the Year and all that run a comp early and I just I think I let the outside noise get the better of me, and I just think I could have been better than what I was, you know, And I still had it, like I'm proud of my career, but I do at times think, you know, look at other players and think I could have I could have achieved that, you know, if I just probably didn't get into my own head a little bit.
Speaker 5: Are you mindful of that in your job.
Speaker 4: And I was going to talk about the power and influence you have hosting the flagship show in rugby league. Are you mindful of that now when we're talking Locky Galvin and we're talking about young players, and you know that the boom on these kids and the spotlight they're under. It's a tricky I know, because people want you to talk your honest opinions.
Speaker 3: It is hard.
Speaker 2: Because I do, I can put myself in their positioning. I get it, I understand it, I lived it. I think it also gives me the right to comment on it and have an opinion on it because I have been through it firsthand.
Speaker 3: And when I give an opinion, I do like most of the time to give.
Speaker 2: Sort of It's not just an opinion, it's probably feedback and advance insight, you know. Like I still still doesn't mean I won't have a crack if I think they're doing the wrong thing or if they handle it the wrong way. I try and make it constructive, you know, more so than just talking down to someone. I think, you know, it's it's important that my job is opinion. I have to have my opinion. If I can't sit on the fence like that just get another host.
Speaker 5: Like jump in the car driving home.
Speaker 4: I think I shouldn't have said a lot, yeah.
Speaker 1: I say when I read the column, Yeah you know, or you.
Speaker 3: Often would ring me and do you think I went too hard to think? I said this?
Speaker 2: And I think now, to be honest, now I don't over because it impacted throughout my career. I just spoke about it like overthinking, over analyzed, the worrying about everyone else.
Speaker 3: I don't care. I don't care as much anymore.
Speaker 4: Braith actually helped me recently. Wear I was bagged over something quite heavy that surprised Well, it was just the same. Yeah, it was a social media polum, but I was really stud about it.
Speaker 5: Why why are you so worked up? You know?
Speaker 4: It's people, you know, And it just helped And I no longer you know, it was only recently, but I no longer care as much about other people and what they think of what I spit out in that show or write or just doing my job.
Speaker 1: Call it as it is.
Speaker 2: We're always going to be judged and people are always going to have their opinion of us and our opinions, and that's that's a position we're in. But the quicker and this is any advice or anyone the quicker. The only people I really give a fuck about my mum, my family and friends and my boss and the rest. Really it's irrelevant, and so what. The noise will always be there. People always have negative opinion of you, regardless of whether it's it is or it isn't. You know, it comes with the territory. And I've learned that from seventeen eighteen, you know, I've lived there forever.
Speaker 4: Yeah, look, I don't want it because a lot of people spoke about you know, you was a young fella. Make that Rugby League week player pole was very very heavy, you know you were, and they ended up banning the question was taken out because players stopped answering it where you just didn't want it. Your name most overrated player did that?
Speaker 5: That must have hurt.
Speaker 3: Yeah, big time.
Speaker 2: That was That was a because again I'd never experienced I was only a kid. I never experienced anything negative really in my life. I had with my dad and stuff like that, but not professionally or as with any of the sports i'd played. You know, I kind of reached the top, you know, quite easily, I thought at the time. But and I thought I was doing a great job and so to get that from your peers, was that's stung?
Speaker 3: Like it really impact to me, it did.
Speaker 2: I remember copping it for a few years there and like, you know, it sounds dramatic, but.
Speaker 3: I remember just saying to mom, like, I've had enough.
Speaker 2: I don't want to do this and it's not worth the feeling and the embarrassment and the and the ridicule that comes with it. You know, you're kicking a goal run out of the field because fans just listen. Yeah, they do listen to the media. And it just stuck with me for a long time, and it was it was awful.
Speaker 3: I hated it, but I.
Speaker 1: Couldn't help the Freddie got it as well. When did you when you voted.
Speaker 2: Wearing your career similar times? If I was early, like I was getting Rookie of the Year.
Speaker 1: And Rookie in Australia.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm talking about your dad a bit, like but who did you turn to and Mum was obviously, Was there anyone else who you know?
Speaker 5: Was there a coach?
Speaker 3: Was there?
Speaker 5: You got out? What members were great? I had?
Speaker 2: I had my mates always, they've been there. I've always founded myself with my mates. And they're still my best mate now. And I kind of wasn't that footy player that a lot of do that just kind of when they played footy. They stick around those guys and I feel like for life after foot it helps if you you've got your your matship and your friends, that your og is kind of thing.
Speaker 3: And I've still got them now. They were great.
Speaker 2: My mum's been a rock, even though she was finding it hard herself to be fair.
Speaker 1: Weld call journals.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she was pretty called out journals. She was you know, I love that loyalty, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Did I need professional help?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I ended up getting help.
Speaker 2: I saw a counselor because when my dad had passed, I had a counselor I saw at that time to get through that. And then I went back to her because I was struggling a bit and I didn't really know what to do. And then I saw a spots sports like at some point too.
Speaker 3: I encourage it. It really helped me get through.
Speaker 5: It's really good because a lot of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I think you should like it's it's a good way to get because he's not He's not always someone you can talk to, you know, there isn't if you not your parents, and even your parents sometimes you can't, but you know, and then you've got your mentors.
Speaker 3: Not everyone's got them. I've got them as I've got older, but not at that age.
Speaker 4: It's something that's always amazed me about rugby league players. They are so tough, they're so strong, they're so powerful, this extraordinary body contact. But they're actually like everyone they are that there's they have.
Speaker 1: Weakness income that like the rugby league media is pretty pretty rough. Like you and I were very close during a lot of your career, all your career, and I was always, you know, was pretty I was pretty cool, was a drink of the bubble Chloe all the time. But there was like some journalis went hard actuzz you were one of.
Speaker 4: Them, you know, as you know, I've always called this, I see, but it was never ever when I start out in journalism, and I don't want to stand. There were more gentlemen sort of covering the game more, you know, a bit more statesman like you know the Alan Clarkson's, the and heads is that, you know, all those the Christiansens and no one. It was more just a commentary of the game each week without you know as heavy as it is today, and that's social media.
Speaker 3: Social media a lot, but a.
Speaker 1: Lot of it. You were also when you went to the Roosters. I found it. It really went through the room is big glamor club and you were the big signing there.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: That's just a touch on that, and I'll come back to this.
Speaker 2: I think what ruby Ley players need to learn these days that is actually getting to talk about being constructive and living it myself. The sooner you understand the media, get to know the media, but also know why the media are there and what they're doing, and you work you can even work with them. It's to your favor. The better you're going to be if you if you know, if you're abusive to them, to the media, or you turn your back on the media, or you don't give them anything, it's not going to help your cause and even the players look after now. If you actually get to work it out and realize what we are doing in the media while we're doing it, know what to watch, what not to watch, what to listen to, what not to listen to, You get to know it better. It's going to benefit you as a player, and it's going to benefit you throughout your career in post football, a lot of guys just and I did it.
Speaker 3: He just bar you know, journos you get the ship.
Speaker 2: You hate them all and it's not the best attitude to have actually impact you know yourself. But you can benefit from the media too if you leverage them and use them the right way.
Speaker 3: But here the Roosters.
Speaker 2: That that was a big one because see how obviously I left them.
Speaker 3: I didn't leave them.
Speaker 1: I went in the comp when you were in the first you know.
Speaker 2: And George he mentioned at the top there he came to me before they'd been told they were going to get kicked out.
Speaker 3: Well officially he knew.
Speaker 2: And he said, Mane, you got to go, and I want to go, and he goes, you have to you're not going to play first grade. You're only a year or two ways and is I think I was sixteen or something like that, and he said, you know, and he pretty much picked the club.
Speaker 3: I talked to both to the Roosters.
Speaker 2: I met with Beto Beats and and Freddie and then I met with the with the Dogs. But he was like, may you're going to the Bulldogs And I was like, okay. He didn't want to didn't want me to gather the roosters. So that's how I landed at Canterbury. And then when I was off, well I wasn't. I had to go because we won the camp and the cap was Malcolm knows that there's no money here. I was sh had a lot of bulldogs fans don't know that, and I get that often even in Uber Uber Drivers and you know whatever it is bulldogs fans they they they kind of disliked me, some of them because they think I walked out on the club. I didn't have a contract there, you know, I didn't have a contract and Malcolm No just said, maybe we don't have anything for you. I had to leave. I didn't want to leave at that time. A lot of people don't know that that. That was disappointing because the club really pushed that so it made them look better at the time. You know, again, this is the rugby league, right, you know. And and the fans thought I walked out in the club, but I didn't. So that was that was that situation. I had the bunnies.
Speaker 1: I'm shocked at a powerbreaker at Canby wouldn't tell the truth.
Speaker 3: Let's yeah, he buzz that s.
Speaker 4: Redemption, just chipping away, and I repeated, I I've been chipping away a long time exposing Look, Gus's a legend, right and what he's done at Cannabis off the charts outstanding. But he's made a number of blunders over the long period of time and I've called him out.
Speaker 1: On Yeah this is a this is a Breath of NaSTA podcast.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, I brought it up.
Speaker 3: His opinion.
Speaker 5: Good, I'm more than aware you've turned their Thank god, thank you.
Speaker 1: We're twenty minutes and you're annoying me already, breath Which coach? Which coach did you learn the most from? Uh?
Speaker 2: The smartest coach I've ever had Brian Smith?
Speaker 1: That me.
Speaker 5: That's did He used to take you all the time?
Speaker 2: That I mean, yeah, so you asked me. The smartest coach was Brian Smith. But he was also the most how would I say it? He waskiest, kirkiest, a little bit strange at times, and he would message the players. I was the captain at the time for years and I was like doctor Phil. I had all the players coming to me because they'd been told they playing that week. Their families had flying down from Queensland, and then he wouldn't play them. And then you know, he had certain ways in which he handled things that I think held him back as a coach.
Speaker 3: I think that's what hurt him because he was so smart.
Speaker 2: Sorry, you know, like he'd go and watch the week we'll play, the team will playing.
Speaker 3: He'd go and watch them two weeks in advance.
Speaker 2: Him and Robber would sit in behind the post and they'd have a game plan written up three weeks in advance of who you about to play in three weeks time. And he had set pieces that would expose vulnerable defenses that he'd seen firsthand and worked hard. He was just he was actually really good for me at the time. And I think he was the most intelligent coach I've had by by fair Way, actually the best roach, best.
Speaker 3: Coach like you would have been coached by Gus. Yeah, Gus was brilliant.
Speaker 2: It was only had h one one year in origin and I was kind of off the bench and like just eighteen year old, bright eyed, but just sit back and like the war stories he before training or a game, like you get us all down, you can tell he's one of them. You know, he's great telling stories and you see that with his before origins and all that. That's the camera imagine off camera, you know, like he talked about you know he's going to battle and certain stories, and you know we all just sit there and awe. You know, he's very inspirational and he was very intelligent, and you know he had a good demeanor about him too. But I was kind of we had Joey and Freddy and you know these guys in camp.
Speaker 3: I was the young bucker just sat back and watched.
Speaker 2: So I didn't actually deal with him heaps, but could tell that he if I had, if I'd worked with him for a long time, yeah, he was.
Speaker 3: He was pretty special.
Speaker 4: I was for you to wrap us. I've been sitting here waiting because I do him up all the time about Nick, because it's been he's been jumping between camps for the last couple of years.
Speaker 5: Does that be? Why car d that one?
Speaker 3: And Nick?
Speaker 5: I can ask any question. You can be what is a great card? By the way, and you captain of the Gas fan club.
Speaker 2: That's why come on, mate, Come on, because I'll pushed back on you a few times because if.
Speaker 5: You were hosting a dinner party, could invite.
Speaker 3: A father to me.
Speaker 2: Relationship, Well, I mean it depends during the footy season, it's nearly once a week. He's been great for me since the second I met him. And even when he had to let me go or we didn't come come to an agreement there with our last contract there was it was still an utmost respect for each other. And I know for a fact he really cares about me and and he showed that through his actions over the years. And he is an amazing human being, like he really is. I know if I only sees the Godfather and you know, but he really cares about his players, he cares about his staff. And yeah, he's got he's got money because he's worth his ass off to get there.
Speaker 3: You know, he doesn't even now he is twenty.
Speaker 2: Four to seven. He said, you guys ring in China. Yeah, anywhere around the world. He watches three sixty from Kithra on the beach on his house when you visited last year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Andrew Independent Independent's listening to this story because I booked an air b and B Nick gave him his address. I went and had a look at his incredibly beautiful house, and a guy called Spiro, who looks after cool, showed me through I did not. He also gave me an introduction to the mayor of Kithra, who I had lunch with.
Speaker 3: What are you What are you going to connect with the mayor.
Speaker 4: Of I like being fully transparent and that the day.
Speaker 3: But not many people go to kiss for first Peter.
Speaker 4: But Andy says from kid threat and they both spoke very very highly of the history of.
Speaker 1: That island, dropping the miconoscil.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you what an incredible blake. Nick kiss when I was there, No, I didn't. I didn't go, but he was in Canada at the time, and he rang me the day before we put the car on the ferry to come back to the mainland. He rang me a couple of days prior and said, you won't get back the weather's.
Speaker 5: You can on the business trip and he cares.
Speaker 4: He read the we he won and he read the weather and no one to make sure you know he's unbelievable.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well he did.
Speaker 3: You do it all. He's a weather man as well.
Speaker 5: Now you're number one man. I got that there.
Speaker 3: You just love it up. No, I don't.
Speaker 1: He likes division and like the vision did I do like feuds?
Speaker 5: I did play the rugby league thrives on them. You've got a feud going with at the moment, broke.
Speaker 2: Well, I've got a I don't really I mean Danny Wather's got it in for me.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he likes he listened to this podcast and picture.
Speaker 3: I don't stand on him. Honestly, I don't want to stand because it just won't do any good for me and court Man on good Danny White, he's obsessed with men.
Speaker 1: It's hard not to be braced. On a serious note. You did an interview with Stellar magazine a couple of years ago. It was it was you talked about mental health. You know, your dad to his own life a long time ago. And I remember when I talked to you for that Inside Sport piece your mum called it the Hurdle. How did that shape your life?
Speaker 2: It was a nightmare, like it was a living nightmare in traumatic to say the least. You know, your dad goes the word doesn't come home. And he was my best mate. So it was and.
Speaker 3: At the time, no suicide kind of it wasn't.
Speaker 2: An epidemic because he's probably at the moment or becoming one if it's not.
Speaker 3: It was very unusual. So then you had rumors around.
Speaker 2: It and all that, and yeah, everyone knew, like because because of my uncle George, and you know, because I was a young athlete. If I already kind of loved to talk about me when I was a kid, and all of a sudden your dad came in suicide. It was it was really like it was. It was tough and tough on mum. And still you know today Mum really hasn't she hasn't moved on to say that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what a woman.
Speaker 2: I mean, she has never moved She was he was the love of a life and she never job. My brother damon two of us. My poor brother found found him. So it was it was awful. Mate, he's what he's he's maybe forty five forty.
Speaker 1: But you're talking that sellar peace about your mental health, like you know a few years ago, Yeah, you really knuckle down about your fitness. Drop twelve kegs.
Speaker 2: I'm big on it, and I started a program called Strong Day. We're actually rebranded at the moment because I think when you go through a period, like you know, losing someone, relationship, break up, marriage, break up, lots of job, having kids.
Speaker 3: You know, a lot of men I think are overlooked.
Speaker 2: You know, I think and you don't often talk, like you said earlier, but you don't often talk to your mates about deeper issues in you life. And he does well, you know, like you've been through a lot, you can't, you know.
Speaker 3: I just want to get.
Speaker 2: Guys opening up more and being more vulnerable and open about their mental health and how they're feeling. And you know, with the with the rising interest rates, cost of living, and you know, separation rates up fifty five percent, the likelihood is we're all going to go through ship in our lives.
Speaker 3: We still are from now this day on, I'm still.
Speaker 2: Going to go We're all going to have adversity in hurdles, and I've had my fair share. But they're not going to don't just not They didn't just go away and never come back again.
Speaker 3: We're all going to have them. How do you deal with them?
Speaker 2: How do you make yourself more aware and get through them the best way you possibly can.
Speaker 3: I think women tend to.
Speaker 1: Go and meet in groups, they talk to each they talk, We talk about talking to each other, and we never do.
Speaker 3: We don't do it, you know.
Speaker 2: But yeah, that was big for me, going through a separation, blended family, all that.
Speaker 3: Again, it was like, man, you know, I've put a lot of weight on.
Speaker 2: I was probably put ten or fifteen kilos on, and you just he kind of got to a dark place without even knowing it, right, and then it's like, how do I get out of this? And then that's that's when I started getting a group of us. We all trained, we all talk in the mornings as much. It could be anything, you know, you know, and it's helped me a lot, and I want to help other guys.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: It's especially with my dad. Yeah, I think it's a legacy. I'd like to carry him on along the journey with and do it for him as well. So it's pretty important to me.
Speaker 1: Your buddy. You're also saying that story, sorry, buzz. You're also revealing that that interviewed how much you knocked back to appear on the bat.
Speaker 3: He like this one, didn't you?
Speaker 1: Yeah? How much was it was? It was less than five hundred k Well, I didn't get to the end with that. That was a lot of money.
Speaker 2: It was a few hundred thousand to start off with. And I was very tempted, very tempted, just been through a separation, just getting back on track.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm I'd love to say you, but hang on you love.
Speaker 5: I do enjoy mass you watch it?
Speaker 3: Watch? I did watch it.
Speaker 5: I actually I didn't watch.
Speaker 1: You know. I'm an adult you I love you said you said no disrespect, But I think I'll be okay meeting someone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, do you want to do?
Speaker 1: You want to give us the daily mail? Click't open up your d MS and tell us who's sliding into what's his name?
Speaker 3: Mate?
Speaker 4: I've got an announcement, haven't you had some starts on the daily Mail?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I can't get away from mate. They called it to last year.
Speaker 3: He had no idea what schoolies?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And then you know, all of a sudden, I'm a tooling. How do you avoid that?
Speaker 3: I can't. I've always mind.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm there for you, for me. I can't get you a coffee.
Speaker 4: I have looked after you so good. And this ain't about me. About me, But when you went to Chin Chin last year, I had.
Speaker 1: Your sea, had your stink with the Great Latrell yep, and the trail leaked his version.
Speaker 3: Of the story to the DW stitch up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he leaked his version of the story very quickly, mind you, So I you accuse me looking for click pait.
Speaker 5: But I tried to help you and get your version out.
Speaker 3: Okay, I wanted the truth.
Speaker 5: I can see progress wishes.
Speaker 1: That's what happened from them your verse.
Speaker 3: Okay, let me get something clear before I tell it. I'm not me and the trill. Fine, I don't want to. It's not about, you know, putting a ship on him. I don't want. I don't want that.
Speaker 2: But the actual what actually happened was I finished three sixty and on a Wednesday night, I bolt because I've been going from Sundays. I do the Sunday ticket and by Wednesday I just want to have a beer and I have something to eat and just relax. So I've gone to Chin Chins to meet someone there where where we had I hadn't even ordered, like a person I was with.
Speaker 1: The city, a special person.
Speaker 2: The city with her back against you know, just with her back to the to the restaurant I had, So I had my back to the restaurant, so I couldn't see anything other than who I was having dinner with. Anyway, I hadn't even ordered to drink, and I get this tapped my shoulder. I look and I could see her like looking in the air like like this, there's you know, a beast of a human there, because Latrell is imposed.
Speaker 1: He got six' four and.
Speaker 2: Massive AND i look after my should and As, LATRELL i Coached latrell in the, twenties always had a good blame ship with, him.
Speaker 3: AND i didn't think any of. It, okay, hey young, brother he has.
Speaker 2: Don't yeah you, know, no, no no, No i'm sick of you having a crack on me on three. Sixty but yahd YadA, YadA and he kind Of i'm, thinking is he joking here or is he? SERIOUS i couldn't pick up on. It then he gets let's go, outside And i'm, like let's go, outside, really you want to go? Outside and by that point people are looking at, us, right And i'm, thinking come, on, man it's a middle Of, chinchins it's busy. Night like he's six foot, Four it's not like people aren't going to, notice, Right AND i, thought you, KNOW i need to de escalate, this or at the very LEAST i did get this out of this, restaurant. Right SO i, said let's, go, mate and we got out the front and he just like he lays into me right And i'm just you, know he's standing over the top of me and he's having he's having his whack And i'm, like, mane, okay slow down because there was nothing making sense and it was just. Abuse AND i, said, mate what AM i doing that isn't? Right is there something.
Speaker 3: That i'm wrong? With can you just explain to me what you're angry?
Speaker 2: With like what's He and there was no real clear explanation or detail as to what that would come last at the. TIME i, MEAN i don't know if it was a week or two, before But i'd shown some vision of him at, fullback and you, know i'd seen. It i'd had it there for it it, there But i'd watch. It i'll watch every game of player and we do it with other players all the. Time and there was just a few instances WHERE i thought he could be, better AND i think that's what's triggering. Him but he's still in that instant he was over the top of.
Speaker 3: ME i didn't back down at.
Speaker 2: ALL i gave as good AS i, got you, know AND i wasn't intimidated by. Him AND i think he was taken aback by that because he Thought i'd probably go to water and then you know that was. It he kind OF i don't want to go to detail with, it but he just saw a bad give him this great. Detail well that's.
Speaker 1: What, happened because then never going to get, well then what, HAPPENS i want to put one on your chin chin OR.
Speaker 3: I was thinking THAT i was, ready you're.
Speaker 2: GOING i was thinking in my, HEAD i can't let him land the first one Because i'll be, gone because he's a.
Speaker 3: Beast BUT i.
Speaker 2: Didn't i'm going to be, HONEST i. Did i'd be lying IF i said at some POINT i didn't think it might happen like that dollar seventy break twenty eight. Dollars but, no and then you talk about the spin and again you know he's going to deny. It but then they got on the front foot and one of these they, knew but he had mates. There and when we got out the, front you could tell that every like it was, seen.
Speaker 3: You, know and it was going to.
Speaker 1: Be was the restaurant?
Speaker 2: Packed, yeah it was, Packed And i'm thinking in my, Head SO i rang BECAUSE i ran crawl straight away my boss AND i, said, mate just letting you know what. HAPPENED i talked him, short word by word AND i, said it'll be out there before you know.
Speaker 3: It and then they they his camp of.
Speaker 2: Obviously Rang, widler who's as a fan of, theirs and they got their version out that was so. Wrong and that's WHEN i rang bus AND i, Said, BUZZ i can't stand for.
Speaker 3: THIS i can't have that version that.
Speaker 4: There was a hard one because See crawley didn't want to, reply AND i can understand, that you, know BUT i thought it was important to get doubt.
Speaker 5: THERE i really do.
Speaker 3: Well but again you talk About, buzz, like DO i feel for the.
Speaker 2: PLAYERS i can understand what he was going, through AND i can understand how frustrating it is and people having their opinion and you just want to play, footy and SO i can peel myself back away from it and, go you know, WHAT i get.
Speaker 1: It that's a frustrated. Player it's right, reacting that's.
Speaker 2: Right but there's, again you, KNOW i think it's all bigger and experienced enough now to probably realize that isn't the best way to go about.
Speaker 4: It.
Speaker 2: Right you could have easily have called, Me he could have, easily you know, anything AND i would have spoken to me about. It AND i am ship IF i haven't him SINCE i haven't had, to you, KNOW i haven't had.
Speaker 3: To mm.
Speaker 1: Hmm good theater it.
Speaker 3: Was it, was, yeah it was what it was Though.
Speaker 5: Rugby lead thrives on the. Ship it just does just it. Does you saw the. Cliques it was just.
Speaker 3: See how he said he was helping.
Speaker 5: Me i'm just trying to get it explained to.
Speaker 1: You but you, KNOW i find.
Speaker 4: IT i write this sort of stuff quite, regularly and NOW i could write the most beautiful, story beautiful, pitch lovely human, interest no prick ball. Reader you know, what as soon as she puts his scandal in, there we'll see.
Speaker 1: That no one does match reports anymore BECAUSE i don't ride on the. Line and as a, consequence AND i was talking TO i was texting back and forth With Lara pitt after that on the it must have been The Titans storm game and she was saying there was no one to ask any questions in the press conference. Afterwards i've noticed, that isn't that? Ridiculous no one's covering. GAMES i find that so.
Speaker 4: Sad BUT i tell, you kill match, Reports Brace sunday Ticket Yvonne's Super. Saturday because in the old, days people love Their monday paper that lift out in The mirror and The sun and The. Telegraph good, point because, mate he not only shows a bore bye ball eighty minutes every single, game every, week every, day but he will sit there With, Cooper he will sit there there With, carey he will sit there With brandy and they will analyze.
Speaker 1: It to watch.
Speaker 4: It yeah it, no, no but what you're even shock the same match?
Speaker 1: Reports WHAT i don't. Get it's not necessarily match, reports but you still need people going there and asking questions and like getting news out of the, sheds going to the dressing, rooms getting the news out of the out of the. Games no journals are doing that. Anymore, yeah but they.
Speaker 4: Won't, yeah but that's so, sanctioned, mate they won't let the journalists get.
Speaker 3: That.
Speaker 4: Buzz i'm just and if journalist goes to a press conference and Ask maguire, coaches they're doing it FOR. Tv they're wasting their time because it goes onto. TELEVISION i understand. It that's WHY i don't do match, reports. Buzz i'm just saying how sad it. IS i think it's ridiculous that you can't HAVE i.
Speaker 5: Spoke we used to write about. Football we used.
Speaker 3: To did you have more access than?
Speaker 1: That you can go? Give but WHEN i first, started buzzes much much older than. Me BUT i remember back in the, day back in the, day like you used to go and have a beer in the.
Speaker 4: Room my best. Memories those cannaburry dogs are all AND i would walk into that shed. Afterwards the first thing they'd do was past your. Beer you'd sit down between Mordem chris And farah too tough At Blakes bar was there.
Speaker 3: And.
Speaker 4: Mate they Even turby once was explaining a play to him and he grabbed my mate book and threw a footy field.
Speaker 1: Hood that's. See you. Know the other THING i find the problem that you CAN'T i understand why you can't go and room into the rooms because you there's so much well there used to be a lot of media back in the. Day but the thing THAT i find is journal young journals don't get to see how busted players are where they've just put themselves through for eighty. Minutes you know that's. True they don't see. That they don't see what a player's gone through and the, reaction how devastated they, are or you, know you don't get any of that emotion, anymore that's.
Speaker 4: What and there's no access there to tell those sort of. Stories and again it's, well you, know if you want to interview a, player you have to ask the media manage and the player will then come outside and it'll be a group. Interview there's no. Exclusivity it's not about. Relationships it's not about you, know you've been working forty years and you know there's trust That.
Speaker 1: So the relationship we used to have as player and journal you. Couldn't you wouldn't get.
Speaker 2: That and you know, WHAT i give you more BECAUSE i had a good relationship with you and that's where you get your.
Speaker 3: Best like even Now i'm giving you that. STORY i wouldn't have told anyone.
Speaker 4: Else, yeah But GRAITH i was telling him last last week in a war story for In origin And Gavin miller was captain In New South, wales was staying at the park In. Brisbane he was bored and he rang me up said come and play, cards not before the, game sit in the end of your.
Speaker 3: Health.
Speaker 1: Cool did you ever think you'd be going to THE tv? Hosting, WELL I i thought you going to like something, publicly BUT i never thought media would be it for. You.
Speaker 2: YEAH i always felt, comfortable even BECAUSE i dealt with the media so much as a captain and just through crisis and that, too like you seriously been through so, MUCH i kind of felt, natural AND i, thought you know that that's definitely something THAT i could. DO i got ahead of the game a bit and was doing like holding cups and you, SAID i was cups and doing like an. Apprenticeship and Then i'm just pretty. Driven so as soon AS i got into that, Space i'm, Like, OKAY i want to be the best at an expert. OPINION i want to call. Games and THEN i was, like, OKAY i want to be A tv. Host So i've had it for quite a. WHILE i thought the dream was. Gone to be, HONEST i you, KNOW i put MY i said to the, BOSSES i wanted to be a host a long time, ago AND i don't think they ever THOUGHT i had. IT i think they maybe did at, times but they never really gave me a crack at. It BUT i always dreamed of it and worked hard and sort of worked.
Speaker 3: Hard at home on, it and, whenever what.
Speaker 4: Do you do when you work at? Home just in the, mirror it.
Speaker 2: Sounds, weird BUT i did BECAUSE i talked to my awful. Lot, Yeah i'll find myself and my kids laugh at. Me my daughter actually she talked to herself to this and she's unfortunately picked that up for. Me BUT i would go through my head how HOW i would come off a break or intro OR i just would for.
Speaker 3: YEARS i had it in my.
Speaker 2: HEAD i would look in the mirror sometimes and do, it and you, know people laugh at, that but, seriously it was just SOMETHING i was obsessed. WITH i was always obsessed WITH tv, hosts you, know all the read, news the news readers on all the channels and the. Sports i'd always pay a lot of attention to all of. Them and, yeah it's it's helped, ME i.
Speaker 6: Think you, know any advice from anyone, directly, YEAH i mean the first hosting GEAR i, HAD i went and sat with Von sampson Because vonn was the best and he's the, best AND i wanted her advice on.
Speaker 2: It WHAT i learned from that is that, well you're all you're, different and stick to.
Speaker 3: What you know and how you. Are you, know LIKE i remember von gave. Me she's.
Speaker 2: Amazing she's got all these, notes she writes them all down and then she doesn't use them because she's written them all.
Speaker 3: Down she's got a, note she doesn't, miss doesn't miss a, bea she's. Amazed.
Speaker 2: Yeah so then my first, hosting it was live at the ground And i'm writing all these notes but minem a stand up And i've got all these. Notes but THEN i depended on those notes so much that IF i lost my, WAY i was a. MESSY i remember after it going all that's. TERRIBLE i didn't do, well which is probably why They. Yeah so then WHEN i got my second, shot it's, Like, Okay i'm not a notes. Man i'll have. It i'll prep all day and i'll have my points i've got to. Hit But i'm just a more of off the calf reaction. Man talk to you react to the, end which in ESSENCE i think has helped me with three.
Speaker 3: Sixty but Now i'm just, Like i'm a lot different in the.
Speaker 2: WAY i host the APPROACH Tv and again our shower has taught me, that and it's really, yeah It's i've become better at it because of three.
Speaker 3: Sixty there's no. Doubt what do you?
Speaker 5: Reckon?
Speaker 1: WEB i think we've known. Everything anything else you want to, REVEAL.
Speaker 5: I want to talk about your beautiful.
Speaker 4: Daughter's, YEAH i love your socials and, yeah, Yeah i'm, lucky but it's your bloody.
Speaker 2: Proyer, Yeah i'm. Proud you, know it's been what ages mate seven and. Eleven gg is the youngest at, Seven ali is. Eleven ali is an. Angel uh you, know she's She's daddy's. Girl you, know we've been through a lot, together so she's she's with me majority of the.
Speaker 3: Time And gg's with.
Speaker 2: Her mom comes comes to me to two and a half three days a, week and she's a little rat, bag very. Different But i'm blessed to have them. Both they're beautiful girls AND i love my life buzzy and they keep me on my. Toes but, yeah it's it's IT'S i.
Speaker 5: Love your holidays away and your mum helping.
Speaker 2: Out, well mom's my, rock like, ya because LIKE i work a, lot you know, that AND i can't pick him up from school every, day so she.
Speaker 3: Does and you, know it's pretty much she's my cook. MATE i can.
Speaker 2: Cook he used to cook a lot more and now it's hard AND i, do, LIKE i actually enjoy. COOKING i don't get the cook much at all in these days and trying to get back into it.
Speaker 3: Again now do you.
Speaker 5: Do everything around the house? Clean and do you have a Clean?
Speaker 3: NO i don't have a clean at.
Speaker 1: All now out one back servants at. All you have enough money, Now.
Speaker 4: Dad, said talking to. Money you are one out one. Back you are.
Speaker 5: Flying what do you mean, Mate? Fox what else you? Go you've?
Speaker 3: Lost you're going to come with the, management going to come with.
Speaker 4: It when you Replace? BEN i can you ruined our salary?
Speaker 3: Cap?
Speaker 5: Then then you Brought cordy in. Gory he's the one that takes.
Speaker 4: Any it's hardly worth my while turning up On monday you get looked after.
Speaker 1: That the half, back you're The monday half. Back you're. There you're the key of.
Speaker 2: That buzz had no profile until he was on three. Sixties we have Made Jack. Buzz that's why you've got your own podcast.
Speaker 1: Now because because that's What buzz needed his ego to get even. Bigger hey, listen that will wrap it. Up, Break thanks so much for coming. On you've been a good mane and a good contact have him many, years so on behalf of both of. Us thanks for coming on off the, record so.
Speaker 2: Pleasure doing great. Things love the. Podcast keep flying, boys doing, good good.
Speaker 5: Stuff thanks, Mate Thanks. Taps