Speaker 1: Live on Sky News.
Speaker 2: This is Sharry and Merry Christmas to you too, Andrew. You've had an amazing year. Well, good evening everyone. This is my second last show before the Christmas break. Don't miss a minute because it's a massive program, A big exclusive on Tony Birk's department asking Israeli visitors if they've committed war crimes or witness genocide, just if they want to come to our country.
Speaker 3: That scoop coming up.
Speaker 2: Plus, Israeli Eurovision singer Eden Golan is on the show exclusively. Tonight she was heckled, booed and face serious security threats, and tonight she shares her powerful message.
Speaker 3: About standing tall amid the hate.
Speaker 2: But first, today the Prime Minister try to put the anti Semitism genie back in the bottle.
Speaker 3: Too little, too late.
Speaker 2: Waking up this morning, we see the news and you think, not again, that sick feeling in your.
Speaker 3: Stomach, what is it this time?
Speaker 2: And overnight it was a torched car an anti Semitic vandalism in Willara, just three weeks after another anti Semitic vandalism spree in the same suburb, and five days after the Adas synagogue bombing. It seems we can't get through a week without another horrific incident unfolding.
Speaker 3: And I worry that.
Speaker 2: Now it's too late to put this hatred back in the box. Our political leaders and law enforcement have allowed this to spread for fourteen months, and now they're trying to act, and it's just too late. The Prime Minister finally stood up today and he said that antisemitism must end. He said he supports banning protests outside homes of worship, and this is exactly what I've been calling for. Here's what he said.
Speaker 4: We need an end to any Semtism. It is evil, It diminishes ours is a nation. I own equivocally condemned the shameful ex of violent aimed at the Jewish community. I certainly support the banning of demonstrations outside any place of worship.
Speaker 2: So this is Alban Eazy trying to put the gen back in the bottle. After allowing anti Israel hatred to spill over into antisemitism for fourteen months, He's now realized that Australians hate this ugly racism. He's realized this is a major political problem for him. He's been pressured by all of the media and so now, as I said, he's trying to put the anti Semitism genie back in the bottle after allowing it to run rampant to our despair for too long. His government directly allowed this anti Israel sentiment to spill over into naked jew hatred with barely any pushback, and his government is still even as we see f Israel spray painted on torched cars in Jewish areas, his government is still perpetuating this anti Israel message. Penniwong inflames tensions and heightens the temperature, emboldening the pro Palestinian activists with her constant.
Speaker 3: Criticism of Israel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Prime Minister today reject this accusation. He claims that Penny Wong understands racism.
Speaker 4: Anyone knows about racism, you know, this is someone who understands very firsthand the damage that racism can cause.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, but just because she has personally experienced racism doesn't mean she understands antisemitism, which she clearly doesn't. As Dave Shima, liberal senator said here last night, her provocative anti Israel retrick is only making this crisis worse.
Speaker 5: Simply condones and encourages the sort of anti Israel sentiment we've seen on the streets which is becoming very quickly anti Semitic and anti Jewish as well. So I think it was a particularly ill timed intervention by the Foreign Minister, and I think she should be much more careful with her language, given she is Australia's chief diplotment.
Speaker 2: Well Alben easy there rejecting those comments from Dave Sharma and others. The Prime Minister today also wouldn't admit that we're in an anti Semitism crisis. He was directly asked that question and he again spoke about going to a bar mitzvah and shabt as if he's only just found out about these Jewish traditions.
Speaker 4: On Saturday, I visited a synagogue.
Speaker 6: I went to my first bar mitzvah there in Perth. There was a criticism I've seen that we didn't go with media. It was Shabbat of respect for the Jewish faith.
Speaker 2: And he first made that bar mitzvah comment when he turned up to the site of the terror attack, and it was one of the very first things he said, instead of expressing sorrow for what the community there is going through.
Speaker 4: I went to my first bar Mitzvah on Saturday.
Speaker 3: I mean, come on, day in, day out.
Speaker 2: For months, we've been begging for leadership on social cohesion, on anti Semitism. Holocaust survivors in Josh Fridenberg's documentary implored alban easy to act. That was five months ago. But now anti Semitism is well and truly out of the box. It's exploding, and finally the Prime Minister knows he has to stop it.
Speaker 3: But how do you stop it at this point?
Speaker 2: I truly don't know, And I have to say it made my stomach turn when I first saw this pro Palestinian prime minister, who's made horrible accusations against Israel his entire career, standing in the Holocaust Museum for a political press conference, for political point scoring. It really made me feel uncomfortable, even queasy. But I know the Sydney Jewish Museum is the best place for those who need an education on anti Semitism, and by Albanesi certainly does.
Speaker 3: After touring the Holocaust Museum, he finally took the right tone.
Speaker 2: But he took a very different tone at a private labor function, and he was caught on tape boasting about making the Jewish community even more upset as he went on to flag further changes in Australia's Israel position, and I presume this will be at the United Nations, possibly overnight tonight. This is what Criikee Daniel Seed reported. He said in an audio recording heard by Criikee. Albanezy said some people have got a bit upset. They'll be more upset by Thursday, signaling a future announcement on Australia's position on the conflict. The Prime Minister said there was criticism from a leader on the other side of the world about our stance in the Middle East, but that we make no apologies for standing for two states in the Middle East, the right of Israel to exist and the right of Palestinians, after which he received strong applause in the room and then criik He also reported this, and I quote a source in the room told Criikee that every staff in room winced as Albanzi declared an apparent new position on Palestine on stage at the event.
Speaker 1: WOW.
Speaker 2: At the same time that the Prime Minister tries to make amends with the Jewish community for his disregard for rising anti Semitism, his foreign minister and his government is still demonizing Israel, and he turns up in an event and says that we're going to all be even more upset, caught on.
Speaker 3: Tape saying it.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 2: At the same time as these anti Semitic attacks are happening, the Albaneze government appears to be continuing its campaign of aggression towards Israel. And here's another shocking example. I can exclusively reveal that the Albernezi government is officially asking many Israeli visitors to Australia if they've.
Speaker 3: Committed war crimes. It's outrageous.
Speaker 2: Tony Burke's Department of Home Affairs has been sending a questionnaire to many Israeli visitors to ask them, and I'm quoting from the official form that I have a copy of. It says, have you ever participated in the crime of genocide, a crime against.
Speaker 3: Humanity or a war crime?
Speaker 2: And then there's a section where you can write details of your involvement in war crimes and who issued the orders to commit these war crimes. It also asks in the form have you ever been a witness of war crimes or a crime against humanity? Have you ever participated in a war or armed conflict in any way, and it asks again for details and leave space for how the individuals involved. This is just someone wanting to visit Australia this question as well. Have you ever participated in any physical or psychological abuse against prisoners or civilians? Have you ever participated in the capture of civilians in a war or an art conflict? And DEFAT is also asking for full details sorry home affairs not DEFAT is also asking for full details of military training and service to the army. Now this form isn't specific to Israel. It can be sent to any country where the Department feels that it needs more information about a person's military service. But the issue is in Israel, military service is compulsory for all young Israelis and people who often travel from Israel to Australia and have done so for years. They've never had to fill this out before. Now they're being asked to. Now many people have contacted me about this, but one family in particular has a terrible story. An Australian Holocaust survivor will celebrate her one hundredth birthday in a few weeks time. She wanted to be surrounded by her children, her grandchildren and her great grandchildren, but some of them live in Israel, and two family members have not been granted visas to enter Australia because of their military service in the Israeli Defense Force. Again it's compulsory for all young Israelis. So this Australian Holocaust survivor, her twenty one year old great granddaughter didn't get a visa and then has had to now go back to the army, her leave right out. She may never get to see her great grandmother again. At one hundred, you just don't know how much time you have left now. The second family member is currently stranded in Thailand.
Speaker 3: He's been there for two weeks.
Speaker 2: The family has been frantically calling Tony Burk's office.
Speaker 3: To no avail for weeks. Now they're left in Limbo.
Speaker 2: So Albanezi stands up at the Holocaust Museum to speak about antisemitism today, But this is how his government is treating a Holocaust survivor who's an Australian citizen. At the very moment the Albanese government claims that it cares about antisemitism, it's asking visitors from Israel.
Speaker 3: If they've committed war crimes.
Speaker 2: This is an inconsistent and contradictory position that shows the extent of their moral confusion. The Albanese government is still acting in a hostile way, depriving a Holocaust survivor of spending her one hundredth birthday with her family. Now, today Albanesi walked and he spoke alongside little shoes and items of clothing left behind by Jews killed in the Holocaust. He used the holocu Cost Museum for political purposes. He needs to back up his serious and solemn words with action. He needs to stop demonizing Israel and Jewish families. Now, I'm going to be joined by David Ossip a bit later to speak about this issue and Albanese's two of the Holocaust Museum today. But as I said, a big show tonight, my exclusive interview with Israeli singer of Eurovision Edon Galan. She's a global superstar. That's coming up later in the show. Kosher Garda will be on to speak about Trump's new business endeavor, Daniel Malino, Michael Suoka as well.
Speaker 3: We're going to get to all of that.
Speaker 2: But now let's bring in my favorite Wednesday panel, former Victorian Liberal Party president Michael Kroger and former Labor Minister Graham Richardson.
Speaker 3: Welcome to you both. Michael Kroger, what are.
Speaker 2: Your thoughts on everything I've just had to say and Albanize's belated attempt to deal with this crisis.
Speaker 7: Well, I'm shocked at your revelation, but I think it's time for this blake to resign. I mean, he's doing permanent damage to this country. He wanders around Jewish institutions railing against antisemitism. This is a bloke who hasn't visited Israel since October seven, who didn't direct his Foreign minister to visit the kid would see him and the Navy Music Festival site, who personally hasn't been to Israel. He's such a friend of Israel. He hasn't been there for a quarter of a century. In eighteen and nineteen he had three meetings. When he had three meetings with a notorious anti semit Jeremy Corbyn, allowed himself to be photographed with Corbyn. He wants to arrest the Israeli Prime minister if he comes to this country. He couldn't wait to restore funding to UNRA, despite the fact that there hadn't been an investigation finished. He changed the designation of the capital from West Jerusalem. He allowed three thousand residents of Gaza to come to Australia. He told the Israeli government not to go into Lebanon. He called for a ceasefire repeatedly between Israel and the terrorist organization Hamas. He happily was photographed with the Asa Arafat when he was younger. Well, let's forgive him for that, because he was on a PLA tour. He misleads the country about Green preferences. Let's be very clear. He has the swing vote on the federal executive. Labor Party ten Left, ten right and him he has a swing vote. Elbows asked, oh, he says, oh, it's a matter if they will. No, he is the organization, the federal executive. It's his decision whether Labor give preferences to the Greens or other parties. And Honored Goes refused to hold a judicial inquiry into antisemitism, the disgraceful Jewish hatred on a university campuses. Jillian Siegel, who we appointed as the mission and then just completely ignored her. Refused a visa to a former Israeli minister, allows four of his front bingers to trash the Bob Hawk tradition just so they can say their seats in Sydney.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 7: No, he's a real friend of Israel and he's seriously opposed to andy Sism. This blake who took six months to clear extremists away from his own office. If he can't get these these anti Semitic, anti Jewish racists away from his own office for six months, what hope of the Jewish community got? Chari?
Speaker 2: You put it so well, Michael, when you detail the extent of the past here, and I'm sure there would be other examples better.
Speaker 7: Well, that's half. That's about half of it. That's about half of it, Charry. There's a lot more of there.
Speaker 2: I mean, there were stories that I had even forgotten that photograph with Arafat, you know, I broke that on the show completely had forgotten about that.
Speaker 3: There's just so much material here.
Speaker 2: Rich Oh, we know you're a made of elbows before you start defending him, but come on, richro I mean, he is standing there at the Holocaust Museum today. At the same time, you've had Ed Husick this week speaking about Islamophobia. The same with other ministers as well. Penny Wong still criticizing Israel. Apparently just tonight we're expecting another hostile vote at the United Nations. He's got to pull his cabinet into line if he is serious about this issue.
Speaker 3: What do you think, rich O?
Speaker 9: I think we have been a little loose, shall we say, on the subject of Israel. I think overwhelmingly Australian support the right of Israel to exist within safe and secure borders. Overwhelmingly we do, and so it's only a very small minority who don't. And if you side with that small minority, you take a very big political risk, certainly not one that I'd take. But it's not just about polling and who wins elections. It's about principle as well. And the principle involved here is absolutely clear, and we have nowhere to go as a civilized nation except to continue to support the right of Israel to exist with safety and secure borders.
Speaker 2: Rich I just want to ask you what's happened to Mark Drefus and Richard Mars. What has happened to the labor right that traditionally has been a friend of Israel.
Speaker 9: Yes, when you say that labor right, I've been somewhat associated with the labor right for a few years and I know a New South Wales conferences year after year after year, we maintained very strong support for Israel. We never weakened And as far as I'm concerned, Miles is in the same category. He's never weakened in.
Speaker 3: His support, just in his just in his power and his character.
Speaker 9: Well, I mean, I think that you know, there's only so much one man can do. But I think Miles has been pretty good. I'm not going to criticize Miles for.
Speaker 3: Where are they Why aren't they speaking out?
Speaker 9: Well, I suppose that they could get out a bit more. I think Australia and the Australian Labor Party have done so much over so long. I think people know where we stand.
Speaker 2: I don't know about that. I don't know about that, Michael. And then what about the ABC. You might have heard this already, but the host of ABC Radio Sydney's breakfast program asked New South I was Premier Chris Mins today, if this was really an anti Semitic incident, and if it was merely a political stance, have a.
Speaker 10: Look just on your wording in your statements this morning. What's your reasoning for branding the attack anti Semitic and not anti Israel. How do you make a distinction.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think we would have to be willful at this point to turn a blind eye to that sequence of event and suggested to anything other than an anti Semitic attack.
Speaker 10: So if you're calling it anti Semitic rather than just a political anti Israel statement, what you've been in public life a long time is would you say anti Semitism is at an all time high in your experience?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 3: I would.
Speaker 2: And then just very quickly, as Chris Canny pointed out that ABC has also suggested there's two sides to anti Semitism.
Speaker 3: Look at this, none of that plays out at all.
Speaker 11: Well, but you know, the government's record is that they have moved on a whole range of fronts to try to crack down on anti hate speech of all sorts, but it has also been trying to maintain some sort of middle path so that you know, there are two sides in this dispute, and they've been trying to not inflame the situation.
Speaker 3: Michael, That's pretty appalling, isn't.
Speaker 7: It, Charie? What can you say? I mean, don't forget this is an organization who during the First Goal War had as their independent commentator on the Middle East, the secretary of the Australian Iraq Friendship Society. They didn't realize he was that until after the war was over. I mean, the anti Israel bias at the ABC is shocking. It's disgraceful. We know who's behind it, one of their national international correspondents. It's been going on for years and it's it's disgusting. Is what is good news is that all of these people are being exposed one by one, these racists who are at these some of these demonstrations with with with Palestini, with with Hesbalah flags, with Nazi symbols, yelling out Hamma slogans, journalists, you know, one by one, a lot of these people are being exposed. A lot of these people who are at the demonstration down near jeff Shed, the Military Forces exhibition, who've had their photographs in the paper The Dream left any Jewish members of the arts community, bit by a bit, one by one, people are realizing that out from under these rocks of civilization are these Jewish hating racists who have been sitting there quietly waiting for opportunity. And the good news is the majority of the country in the world are turning on them, saying we don't want that type of division, We don't want that type of racism in this country. People have come be for a peaceful, happy life with their families. They love the Australian values. They hate this type of division. And I have to say Senator Jane Hume said this morning that the weakness of the Albanese government had in bold and certain people in this country, and I got to say Senator Jane Hume was absolutely correct.
Speaker 2: Indeed she was Graham just before we go. I want to get your summer prediction. Is there going to be a reset that the Prime minister needs over the summer months, over the Christmas period or do you think, as so often happens, there'll be some news event, whether it's blackout or something out, something else, and that this period will be the death now politically for the prime minister.
Speaker 9: Oh. I don't think there's going to be the death knell, no matter what happens over the course of the break. I think ELBO is a bit better than that, a bit stronger. But you know, look, every political party has good times and bad times. You go up, you go down. You don't just stay like that at the top of the tree. You know occasionally you're going to slip, but you don't regard that slip as the end of the earth. And we haven't had a great few weeks, so what life goes on and next week will be better.
Speaker 2: But this downward trend has been since the Vice, so it's not just a brief down period. This has been for over a year now. And the Resolve poll this week had your primary at twenty seven percent. Doesn't that worry you, Richard?
Speaker 9: Yeah, well, I've been worried before that today about our primary. Our primary has been getting outrageously low, and now if we don't get thirty percent, we're in all sorts of strife. But I can remember, and it's not that long ago where we'd be terribly disappointed if we didn't get forty percent. So you've got to say, what happened? Something very big did?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well the labor going woke, that's what happened. You need to return to mainstream values growing. Richardson and Michael Kroger, Can I say it's been a pleasure having you doing this political panel this year. I love speaking and sparring with both of you. Really appreciate your time over the course of the year and look forward to doing it all again next year. All right, I'm joined now by the President of the New South Wales Jewish Board of Deputies, David Ossip. David, thank you for your time. Look, I want to speak about this incident that we all woke up to today. What do we know so far about what happened in the early hours of this morning.
Speaker 12: Well, thank you so much having me on the show, Shari and at the outset. Let me just congratulate you and your outstanding editorial and you're extraordinary reporting over the past fourteen months.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 12: In relation to the incident which transpied in Willara overnight, we know that at least two individuals in the early hours of the morning drove to Alara, got out of their vehicle, dorbed houses and cars with anti symited graffiti, and then set their current fire and cowardly fled the scene. Obviously, the police are still investigating. We welcome the resources that the New Superal's government police have thrown at this investigation and we hope that the perpetrators who are responsible for this hate crime are swiftly apprehended in the same way that the individuals who allegedly committed a similar current crime in Willara a couple of weeks ago were apprehended.
Speaker 2: You how to press conference with the Premier Chris Mins this morning, but I noticed you weren't at the Holocaust Museum this afternoon with Alban.
Speaker 3: Easy. Are we seeing a tale of two leaders here?
Speaker 13: Shari?
Speaker 12: You are correct. I was with the Premier this morning. I didn't attend the Jewish Museum with the Prime Minister. Whilst I have the greatest of respect for the officer Prime Minister, and I'm grateful for the money which they've given this in the Jewish Museum, I couldn't bring myself to go and hear the Prime Minister talk about anti Semitism whilst his government continues to plot further policy moves against the State of Israel, and whilst he fails to reign in his foreign minister who continues to use incendiary, demonizing and provocative rhetoric which, in my opinion, endangers the Jewish community. And you're entirely right. It is very much a tale of two leaders, because the response of Chrisban's and the state government couldn't have been any stronger. He was on the phone to me in the early hours of the morning. He expressed solidarity with the Jewish community. He called the Israeli ambassador, he immediately coordinated additional security resources for the community, and he dropped everything on his plate to go to Wallara immediately to demonstrate his absolute abhorrence at what had taken place. And this has been the approach he's demonstrated over the past fourteen months. He's been there every single time, strong and unequivocal, standing side by side with the Jewish community. And I think the Prime Minister and his colleagues would do very well to learn from Premier ins.
Speaker 2: That was a very strong answer, David Ossip. How frustrated is the Jewish community at this point with the Albaneze government, including and you mentioned Penny Wang and her criticism of Israel, So what's your view on this as well well?
Speaker 12: I think the Jewish community is extremely frustrated and upset. This is a federal government which is set in its hands and been slow to act on anti Semitism for the whole of the past fourteen months. It's a government which has seemed more determined to demonize and abandon Israel and played domestic politics then deal with the crisis of social cohesion and anti Semitism which has fested on its watch. It's a situation which has gotten worse, not better. And now after fourteen months, we're at a crisis point and the Jewish community has been jumping up and down and warning the government throughout this period and it's not a surprise that we've now lunded up in a position like this, and the Jewish community is understandably very disappointed with the government and concerns about their safety.
Speaker 13: And well being.
Speaker 2: Yeah, indeed, all right, David Asib, president of the New South El's Jewish Board of Deputies, really appreciate your leadership of our community at this very difficult time.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Now still to come Global superstar Eden Golan, she was heckled at Eurovision. She joins me on the program. Plus Albanizi takes at NewsCorp as he tries to shift the blame for his week leadership. I'm going to speak about that with my political panel after this quick break.
Speaker 3: Welcome back.
Speaker 2: Well, let's bring in now Shadow Housing Minister Michael Sucker and Labour MP Daniel Melino.
Speaker 3: Welcome do you both.
Speaker 2: The Herald reports that Anthony Albinizi has told colleagues during a meeting that NewsCorp is openly working to back in Peter Dutton. So this seems to be the Prime Minister very clearly blaming the media for criticism of his own week leadership. It seems to be copying tactics used by his buddy Kevin Rudd, but he conveniently ignores the criticism from many other media outlets, including The Herald, and including The Knightly and The West Australian. Have a look at these front pages not ours, absolutely smashing Albanezi, especially in the wake of his shocking handling of anti Semitism.
Speaker 3: Daniel Maline, I want to start with you.
Speaker 2: Do you agree with the Prime Minister here that this is all a big news cop campaign to side with Peter Dutton.
Speaker 14: Well, Shari, Look, I always take stories based on leaks with a bit of a grain of salt, and I go back to the PM's actions rather than these purported words. He's appeared on various News Corp outlets, including Sky a significant number of times and indeed more than a number of competitor outlets. So look, he's engaged with News Corp throughout this term and before that, and I think just look at his actions. I think he's engaged very very broadly. Look, I think, as you say, you look right across the media. I mean, part of the job of the media is to hold the government to account. So I just think our job as members of the government is to engage, to explain what we're doing. And you know, I'm one of a number of backbenches who appears on this channel and engages with other NewsCorp outlets print and Electronics. So frankly, yeah, and.
Speaker 2: There aren't many Daniel Labor and ps who turn up. So good on you for that, Michael Suka. Should the Prime Minister be blaming the media for his pole leadership, particularly on this critical issue, Well, of course he shouldn't.
Speaker 13: And there's nothing more unedifying than a prime minister having asook about the media. The truth is that Anthony Albanezi's Prime ministership is crumbling, not through anything that the media has done, but through his own actions, through firstly his lies before the last election, the promises he made Australians before the last election that he can't keep his lack of focus when Australians are struggling and were struggling to rent, pay their mortgage, by their groceries. He was off on a frolic with his half a billion dollar referendum, and now we see probably the worst failure of leadership that we've probably seen from a national leader in living memory, and that is the shocking way in which the Australian Jewish community, quite frankly, has been thrown to the walls by this government and by this Prime Minister by decisions and votes the un by decisions and in action being made by the Cabinet, and most recently highlighted by the spectacle of a Prime Minister trying to talk down a domestic terrorism event that was very clear to everyone. I'm sure it was clear to Daniel who's a decent labor person, but he was unable to call that out instinctively in defense of Australian Jews. Because the truth is Anthony Albanese is not a leader. He doesn't have that instinctive ability to make the right cause. And you compare that to Peter Dutton. Peter Dutton is steadfast, he knows what he stands for. And I think it was a great example of contrasting a leader in Peter Dutton and a failed leader in Anthony Albanesi in the way they responded to. Peter called it out straight away, and the way in which the Austrangerer community has been treated by this government since seven has been appalling. And it falls on Anthony Albanezi, his choice of Foreign Minister in Penny Wong, who likens Israel to China and Russia. A democracy she likens to China and Russia. He's got a lear all of that, and he should be ashamed of himself and not in any way try to deflect responsibility by blaming the media.
Speaker 3: Very well, said Michael.
Speaker 2: Look, it does seem like we're in an election campaign mode now. The Prime Minister making this childcare announcement today, splashing four hundred and twenty seven million dollars to give family zonning up to half a million dollars a year access to the subsidy three days a week.
Speaker 3: Daniel, Is this money necessary? Is this just buying votes?
Speaker 13: Oh?
Speaker 14: Look, I think this is a really important area of reform. And we can go back to a Productivity Commission report in twenty fifteen that was actually commissioned and handed down under the previous government, and that Productivity Commission report found that these kinds of measures can be important for workforce participation, but they're also really important when it comes to young children's development and their preparation for school. It has really important impacts in terms of education and also their social development. And what this measure does is it provides much greater access for a broader range of families to these important services. This measure provides universal three day access, but it also provides important measures on the supply side. So it leads to the construction of one hundred and sixty new setters and twelve thousand extra spots.
Speaker 1: And the last thing I'll say on this.
Speaker 14: Is that this is another reform in a series of reforms in this space, many of which so far have dealt with the supply side. So we've added training investments to fee free tape to add to the workforce in this area. We've also undertaken a range of other measures, including I pay to attract workers to the area. A number of the supply side measures that we've undertaken in their space have been opposed by the opposition. So this is important reforms and I think it's a critical area of microeconomic reform.
Speaker 3: Very quickly, Michael, because we're out of time. Does the Coalition plan to match this announcement?
Speaker 13: Well, it's interesting that Daniel refers to the Productivity Commission. These proposal seeks to get rid of the activity test, which just means that parents who are working, or studying or volunteering, they are going to find it harder and harder to find places because with these new arrangements will see the existing existing centers being swamped with even more demand which they can't meet, which just means that Australian parents who are working, or studying or volunteering, I'm more likely to miss out. And we already know there are many people who are struggling to find places for their children. This will exacerbate that problem. And I think we'll see this between now in the election, a very desperate prime minister throwing money around left rn center in order to win votes, to try and detract or distract from the abysmal way in which this government has managed the economy and quite frankly, the abysmal way that this prime minister is leading the country.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well this is what economists are worrying about. Too much money splashed around pre election. Although of course there is the argument of productivity Daniel Malino, Michael Suga really appreciate you coming on tonight. Now coming up after the break, we turn to the US, which is gripped by this awful murder of the United Healthcare CEO Brian Thompson, and somehow the killers being celebrated. I'll swe about that with Kosher Garda next, and later my exclusive with Israeli Eurovision singer Eden Golan, her thoughts on what we're going through, her message for battling the hate, don't miss that, and Sky News contributor Kosher Garda joins us.
Speaker 3: Now, Kosha, great to see you.
Speaker 2: Look, I want to ask you about the man chatged with the brazen murder of United Healthcare CEO Brian Thompson. Look, he's become Luigi Mangiorni. He's become some viral sensation. What is wrong with the world when a murderer is treated as a hero.
Speaker 8: You know, a great point, Shari, and I think it's a sign that we in many ways really have become a sick society, at least parts of society where somebody like this who did something that we haven't seen in a long time, like an actual assassination in broad daylight, Trump was obviously attempted but dodged it. But this actually was successful, and that to have a corporate CEO, which is not a typical target that you would expect or have seen historically. This is a very serious subject and for people to be talking about his looks, his physical profile, all of that is sick. And then there's also been this whole other strain of people who are heralding him as some sort of hero for taking out the CEO of a healthcare company because a lot of Americans are frustrated with the insurance system over there. This is obviously not the remedy for that. You've even seen people like Taylor Lorenz, who's a mainstream media reporter, was going on Piers Morgan.
Speaker 1: The other night cheering about it.
Speaker 8: I really think it's a sign of a sick society and something has to turn around, because this is not the appropriate response.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's utterly bsign.
Speaker 2: You worry it as well about the safety of other chief executives, and I'm sure there'll be others who would be thinking maybe they need security now on their way home, and that would be understandable kosher. Meanwhile, Daniel Penny found not guilty for the death of a homeless man on a New York City subway.
Speaker 8: Tell us about this, Yeah, so this is another It's almost like the flip side of the coin of the Luigi case that we just talked about.
Speaker 1: We're here.
Speaker 8: You have Daniel Penny, who was a former marine of the United States Marine Corps, a veteran, and he subdued somebody who was very aggressive, Jordan nearly on the subway through multiple witnesses who were saying that he was terror rising or menacing them. They were terrified for their lives. However, he Dane Openny, was charged and over the past year he's been awaiting his trial and the jury has spoken where they were not able to reach unanimous verdict of convicting him. I think this is a great day for the jury system and the administration of justice because nobody, based on the evidence, believed and certainly the jury didn't believe that the evidence stood up to the charge, which was reckless homicide. That the standard just wasn't met. But I will say it's worth mentioning that the fact that it came this close is quite scary because New York City is a place where crime has been up all sorts of people are not being charged or they're being given very generous plea deals, including Jordan Neelie himself being let out on the streets. And of course Alvin Bragg the DA is the same person who went after Trump decided to bring this case, whereas other people are going scott free. So it's a little bit of upside down world, and that's another problem that needs to be sorted out.
Speaker 3: Just very quickly.
Speaker 2: This isn't brand new today, but I just want to ask you what is that with the president elect release seeing his own perfume?
Speaker 3: What is this about? Why would you do this? Why does he need to do this?
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know, he probably doesn't need to, but I have to say, it's like it's classic Trump, where he loves to seize the moment, even if he's somebody in a very serious position doing serious work.
Speaker 1: He sees us the moment.
Speaker 8: He loves to troll his opposition in his adversaries with the way he's marketed it. And you know, I wouldn't be surprised the man got seventy eight million votes. If even a good percentage of them decide to buy at this Christmas that it's going to challenge Chanelle number five, which is the most highest selling perfume of all time.
Speaker 1: This wil to be surprised if we see that.
Speaker 2: He continues to break them old of a politician anyway, it keeps things interesting.
Speaker 3: Koshagada, thank you so much. Really appreciate your time.
Speaker 2: Now, don't go anywhere. Global superstar Eden Golan. She overcame major security threats at Eurovision and now she has some advice on how to handle the haters. That interview is after this quick break. Well, most people may know Jewish singer Eden Golan from her incredible Eurovision performance this year. Her song Hurricane was a tribute to October seven. She was heckled bood and had major security threats. At just twenty one, Eden Golan has shown more leadership on anti Semitism, and she's demanded stronger action on the hostage crisis than most people whose job it is to do so. She sets a truly wonderful example for how to withstand the hate. And I spoke with her about all of this a little earlier. Eden Golan is so wonderful to have you here, a huge welcome. You've been here in Australia for a few days and I understand you're loving it and you're having a great time. You also, of course, couldn't help but notice that experiencing shocking anti semitism, the fire bombing of a synagogue in Melbourne that's now been officially declared a terror attack, and then just here in Sydney overnight there's been a car torching and more anti Semitic vandalism. How do you feel about this level of antisemitism that we've seen erupting around the world, including in peaceful places like Australia.
Speaker 1: It's tragic, It's truly tragic and.
Speaker 15: Heartbreaking, and I just don't want to accept this reality, this dark, scary place we're living in, and literally any place in this world right now could be a place of threat and danger for us, which is crazy.
Speaker 3: To think about it.
Speaker 15: But I'm truly I'm so thankful for all the volunteers and here the CSG, there's a really security community Jewish community that takes care of the Jewish community and keeps people safe, and volunteers all over the world that take part in this and keeping our community as safe as possible and trying to stay away from these uh unpleasant situations.
Speaker 2: We all watched you during Eurovision and you were heckled on stage, you were booed, you were trying to focus and do your job. I mean, how did you personally manage to drown out that level of noise and that level of hostility to deliver what was truly a sensational performance.
Speaker 1: Well that wasn't an easy experience.
Speaker 3: I can't lie.
Speaker 15: I definitely I mentally prepared myself to the event way before. From the moment I was selected to be Israel's representative for your vision, I was drawing myself scenarios and different situations that could happen, and getting.
Speaker 1: Boodh at and hatred and all of that.
Speaker 15: But I think mainly the thing that kept me focused and on point was just a the life. I've been through, different situations and going through difficult things in life. That kind of built me to have elephant skin and not really let anything around me affect me.
Speaker 1: And also my goal, which was to.
Speaker 15: Represent us with pride and do the best job I can. I had a lot of weight on my shoulders to be the voice of not only a country, but an entire nation, and just that thought, that responsibility, that's all I cared about.
Speaker 1: I didn't care about anything around.
Speaker 15: I was just there to go on stage for three minutes, show my voice and try to unite people and spread some love. And I can truly say that our community, our big family of Jewish people and israelis all over the world. The amount of love and support I got from them, it was truly insane, and I could never thank them enough. There were such such a powerful thing that kept me going through this journey, and still the amount of love I'm getting to this day, it just keeps me going and makes me want to do even more for.
Speaker 1: Us and for this world, and just show what a beautiful nation we are.
Speaker 2: Such a beautiful message that your ambition to spread love like that, And I love when you said you have elephant skin. I think we need a bit of elephant skin during the times we're going through at the moment.
Speaker 1: Definitely now.
Speaker 2: The formerly your most famous song, Hurricane, the original version was actually called October Rain.
Speaker 3: You had to change the lyrics for Eurovision.
Speaker 2: How did it make you feel when you were told that this would need to be done, that you couldn't reference the October seven terror attacks.
Speaker 15: Even before I got selected to represent your vision, we knew that whoever was going to get selected was going to get a lot of backlash and a lot of hatred, and that many people didn't want us there, didn't want us to participate, didn't want us to take part in the Eurovision Song Artists this year. So let me put it this, I wasn't shocked when the song wasn't accepted and we were told.
Speaker 1: We need to change the lyrics.
Speaker 15: I was like, okay, well my thoughts. You proved me right that you don't really want us there. And it wasn't even a question. I was just like, let's get into the studio, let's change the lyrics. Let's do everything in our power to make this work and make us be able to participate and stand there on stage and represent our country.
Speaker 2: Such a powerful, moving, emotional song, and it it speaks to everyone. I actually came to Israel for the anniversary of October seven, and for many of the people I spoke to, many of the survivors, or understandably, people who still have family who being held hostage, it's just impossible to move on until the hostages.
Speaker 3: Are brought home.
Speaker 2: For many people, for many Israelis, it still feels like it's October seven all over again.
Speaker 3: Every day. That's the reality they wake up to.
Speaker 2: What are your reflections on how our world has changed over the past fourteen months.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: First of all, I don't think.
Speaker 15: The world will ever be the same place after October seventh, and definitely for our country and our people, this is something that will be with us forever and something we'll never be able to forget. And I don't think anyone should ever experience what we went through, and the fact that we still have hostages after such a long time held hostage is just it's like, what this shouldn't be the reality. This shouldn't be what we're going through. This shouldn't be real, and we should be doing everything to bring them back home. So I can definitely understand and I feel the people that for us, it's October seventh every day and life will never be the same after what we went through. And I do think it had a huge effect on the world and people all over the world, especially on us. It has changed a lot of things, and I'm just hoping that things can also change the other way to a better place.
Speaker 1: And that we can bring the hospitals back home and just have a bit more peace and love in this world.
Speaker 2: We desperately need it desperately needed. I just finally Eden. You know, as I said, you're an inspiration to all of us. You connect particularly strongly with the young generation in Australia and in Israel. Many children are doing it really tough right now, suffering from anxiety, They're scared about the future.
Speaker 3: What's your message to children?
Speaker 1: Wow? I actually wrote a song about that.
Speaker 15: My latest song literally speaks about that, about children being older than they should be and not being able to fully live life happily and be out in the gardens dreaming, and they have anxiety and fears about the future and what will happen and what will be And the children in our country that have to run to bomb shelters because of sirens.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 15: The one thing I can say is that we are strong and we have each other, and I'm Israel Hi and I'm israel is strong, and we will get through this, through all this horrible period of time. And I just hope everyone has something that can keep them going through. For me, it's music, and I do music to heal myself and to heal people through music.
Speaker 1: And if playing music and listening to my music helps anyone, that's the best thing.
Speaker 15: And finding just a safe place and our surroundings and friends and family. That's that's all we have right now, and that's the most we can do.
Speaker 1: Is just love each other and spread it.
Speaker 2: Such a beautiful message. I can't thank you enough for sharing it with us here in Australia.
Speaker 3: Eden. All our love to you.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for standing tall and proud and strong. Thank you, thank you, thank you so much for having me all right. I see you tomorrow for my final show of the year. Here's James McPherson.