Speaker 1: From the sky Center. This is Paul Murray Live sang your Rockstar, Welcome the man Cave.
Speaker 2: Come on in.
Speaker 1: We'll do a winner and Loser of the week in a moment or two time. Can I be very clear off the star. I don't care that the Prime Minister fell over today.
Speaker 3: Photos with everyone, Okay.
Speaker 1: I repeat, I do not care that Anthony Albanezi fell over today. Human beings trip, we fall, we're clumsy. It's what happens in the old days. We used to be called UNCO. In fact, the Australian Institute of ruled me to be an UNCO, which is why I've never been able to compete in sport. What I kind of do care about, though, is that the Prime Minister is well lying, and he lies about many many things, but he's even lying about whether he fell over today. This was the live blog that was existing I think on the Citney Morning Herald in the age. There you go watch PM falls off stage. Next update, PM says he didn't fall off stage. This is what he told an interviewer on the ABC in Newcastle this afternoon. Remember I don't care that he fell off. I truly don't. Human beings do it Julia Gillard famously did it. Oh, we don't have that tape. That would be wrong, that would be too much. But when he was asked about it, he pretended it didn't happen.
Speaker 4: No, I stepped back one step.
Speaker 1: I didn't fall off the stage.
Speaker 5: Leg went down, but I was sweet.
Speaker 1: Okay again, I don't care. But he fell off the freaking stage. Okay, two seconds, got back up. It's not a metaphor for politics, but him lying about it is an absolute sign that if you can't tell the truth about even falling over, then how can you trust him on everything else? Like I really care about cost of living. For some reason, people of the center left and people like Albo truly think that they have the powers of Obi Wan Kenobi to have a Jedi mind trick against the week to make you forget what's pretty obvious when you see it.
Speaker 2: Let me see your identification.
Speaker 1: You don't need to see his identification.
Speaker 2: We don't need to see his identification.
Speaker 1: These aren't the droids you're looking for.
Speaker 2: He's had the droid. We're lucky.
Speaker 1: Before he can go about his business, you can go about your best move alone.
Speaker 2: Ah ah.
Speaker 1: And just to drive home the point that sometimes they actually do think that they have Jedi powers. This was a meme that Labour put up during the last election May the Fourth which is as in, may the Force be with you, but may the Fourth be with you. They actually did him up as a Jedi Knight. He does not have the power to change people's minds, but he thinks I did not fall off the stage. Again, it doesn't matter, just make a joke. Oh look, it's the most rest I've had this campaign. But this Jedi mind trick is one that he has tried to use for three years that he didn't promise of the last election that and I quote, a Labor government will lower the cost of living because then he'd have to be held accountable for the cost of living going nuts and he would have to be held accountable for it going nuts and sending people broke. Now, I was amused to see how he's a Pratorian guard in the six pm news. Well, how are they going to deal with this, because you know they love a picture and these are the best pictures you can possibly have. Again, it doesn't matter, but how did they do it? Over at Channel nine.
Speaker 4: Even the most familiar surrounds can be slippery the Prime minister' stumbling from the stage before bouncing back to cheers from mining workers in the New South Wales.
Speaker 1: Hunter bouncing back the metaphor that he can't keep a good man down Channel seven in Melbourne, though they kind of took an egg beater to it.
Speaker 6: Good evening, the Prime Minister is lucky to have avoided serious injury after taking a major tumble on the campaign trail. Anthony Albanizi was posing for photos when he fell off a platform this afternoon.
Speaker 1: Just just one last time, I do not care that the Prime Minister fell over today. Thirty days to go in this election, the end of the first of five weeks campaigning. It's not just thirty days to go. More importantly, nineteen days until the first votes are cast, depending on your state, depending on whether you're private or public. School holidays kick in as early as next week, so the cover of look over There is going to be very big with an awful lot of people. But as always I'd like to tell you what happened during the day rather than just what the six per News decided was the most important thing to talk about, including the Prime Minister's brush with death. As it was tonight on Channel seven. Come on, Verdi. Petty Dunnen was in Western Australia today where, among other things, they made a major announcement I think about six hundred million dollars for regional roads. And as a person who at least once a month is out there doing our town country roads are shockers. And there's a promise that if there's a Dutton government they'll do something about it.
Speaker 7: An elected coalition government will fund a new program to the tune of six hundred million dollars over the next four years to support the supply chains for our agriculture mining industry.
Speaker 1: Just me, I love when she wears the suits. She's a very fashionable young lady. All right, let's keep going here with the Prime Minister. And he today was in the Hunter Valley of New South Wales making a whole series of half announcements re announcements. That was him in Victoria in fact, where he started off the day. Then he made his way out and about today, you know, to respond to Trump. I'll get to that in a second. A couple of protesters along the way, and as we know, the media lover protester more than a story for.
Speaker 8: A new CONCAF company WANs on the line, I have a safe place to say flight children.
Speaker 1: Now these people are posing as journalists, which means they're able to get close enough to the Prime minister. One of the things I love most about this country is regardless of who the Prime minister is, regardless of whether they are standing or falling, which again I don't care about, is that we have very close proximity. There's not the huge rings of security. But it's going to get pretty tough to be around these leaders in the next little while, because they obviously want to invite people from new media along. But these people are using that to get close enough to be able to cause the disturbances that they currently are. Also not particularly classy, and you're not really taking the high ground when you're screaming in a hospital ward about the future of the planet. Meantime, as we know, next week the first of the leader's debates. It happens here on Sky News and it's the best of them. Why because it's not really about the leaders. It's definitely not about the journalists. Is of course the People's Forum were one hundred apparently undecided voters. While they get to ask whatever they want of the Prime Minister or the prospective Prime Minister. That's next Tuesday night in primetime here on Sky News. A week later Wednesday night in primetime on the ABC and no doubt simulcast here on Sky News is that there will be a face to face studio debate, apparently the first time since nineteen ninety three that both leaders have been in an ABC studio and our old mate Speersy will be the one who will be calling the balls and strikes in the middle of that. Meantime, the treasurers have confirmed that they too are going to have a debate. It'll be here Sky News primetime Wednesday of next week, so the day after the People's Forum, and the climate ministers will be having a debate as well. This one will be at the National Press Club where no doubt Chris Bowen will be playing a home game. But the debates are starting, which is good and nightly. Look at how the media spun it for the Prime Minister did their best to give the benefit of the doubt to the Labour Party. No giant surprise there, but guess what. Plenty more examples again. I'll get to the trump of it all in a moment or two time, but the soft questions. They were soft for the Prime minister today for the Greek quess iemon, I'm on the road and you run out of these things as you do.
Speaker 9: Indeed, I mean you're so relief, right, I mean, this is the best case scenario that we worked toys. Can you promise that you're next tent?
Speaker 10: If you are lucky enough to be successful enough to related, you.
Speaker 11: Could stabilize this relationship with the United States even you've got.
Speaker 1: A minimum ten percent?
Speaker 3: Do you consider that a relatively good deal or the best we have got?
Speaker 1: Why did you buy toothpaste? Push the big issues? Meantime? What was the ride that they were giving to Peter Dutton today? A little different?
Speaker 9: Are you too easily dismissing what five hundred dollars could do to a family in a couple of years time?
Speaker 12: So six hundred millions, as nice as a number as it is, builds three hundred kilometers of road right around the country. It's a nice number, but it's not a big solution.
Speaker 2: There's there's plenty of carry. And how you would approach dealing with Donald Trump?
Speaker 1: Is there any stick?
Speaker 9: You've been criticized by Collie residents though for not having a discuss with them and hearing their concerns about nuclear power.
Speaker 1: And one of the people who sends the signals to the media about how to play is old mate nasty Nikki Sava that he self admitted liar about how she used to do things as a journalist, and of course puts the books together, no doubt, she's already got half of one written thanks to mates like the bloke in the Pink House, about how terrible Peter Dutton is. Well, remember she's the one who's already said and this was when the polls were not very good for Anthony Abernezi. So she's going to have fun walking this one back that regardless of what happens at the election, Albanzi should get out of the way hand over to the next generation. I wonder whether that will continue to be the case. But of course she's all about hating Peter Dutton, and today wakey Wakey Dunton looks shaky her review of the first week and the alternative prime Minister who she will not let get out of first gear. Remember we even discussed immigration was racist. According to these people, he sounded flat He's looked flat footed and seeming it seemed woefully unprepared for a fight that he knew was coming on a territory that he should already staked out. Meanwhile, Albanizi has performed better and Labor has prepared better for the contest. Even handed journalism give all the awards now. Dutton has also winged that Albanezi has wedged a sledgeth on against him. He sounds like a school bully. See see he's a school bully, just like Turble. He's a thug. See how they all kind of rally around the same words, complaining to the teacher that one of the kids that he has punched him in the nose, the one that he picked on in the past. Anyway, he better tough enough, because Labor will not stop it's mission, especially in Victoria, where Labor stinks, is to make him unacceptable. Labor could maintain the status quo in every other state, then lose the election in a state once seen as a stronghold. I'll talk about Victoria and I'll tell you why that's the case in a moment of two his time, but her partner in crime, remember the one who was also worried that a ban on foreign buyers was going to result in apparently different looking people don't know what that means, will be attacked by evil racist, presumably white Australians. Remember lefty Laura Tingle, Well, she used her platform there on the ABC, which is an absolutely independent journalist, and remember to criticize her is bad for the national debate. She did a thing last night about cost of living where she was trying a little bit of revisionist history that put simply none of it's elbows fault, despite the fact that again three years ago, the promise was he'd make it better. It's all got worse. None. And of course these were some of the insights.
Speaker 13: While they're not really blaming the government, there's not baseball bats out for them. There is some ownership of the economy, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: There's no connection between the federal government and cost of living, and she found this very helpful polster to give an insight into the best case or the half glass full. Of course, she had to criticize the opposition because you know, she's even handed.
Speaker 10: The Urban Ezy government has introduced a range of policies to try to ease the cost of living. The Coalition opposed, or at least criticized many of these measures, arguing government spending was keeping interest rates higher for longer.
Speaker 1: You know those things that even polls in the Guardian show that five dollars in fifteen months doesn't touch the sides. The two little too tax cuts last year that were twelve dollars for people on forty thousand dollars doesn't actually change anything. And paying twenty five dollars to power companies to make it look like power bills are stabilizing doesn't actually make up for a promise that by this time they were supposed to be two hundred and seventy five dollars cheaper. But sorry, you're in the middle of a rant. Have you got anything more from that? Polster?
Speaker 13: If this selection is a referendum on Labour's performance over the last three years on cost of living, then they're in a bit of trouble. What they will want to do is make it about change and make it about Peter Dunnan and will he make a difference? And that's where they've got hope, because there isn't a great amount of hope that changing government would necessarily change things.
Speaker 1: Yes, and the economy is not really a government thing, despite the fact that it was a real thing three years ago. But that guy just got my brain ticking. Where where have I seen him before? Where I do I know of him before?
Speaker 12: Oh?
Speaker 1: That's right, we have to go back to the Keven oh seven days where he is one of the consultants who's checking the electorate's mood for the Labor Party. He also was apparently one of the people involved in the Keven oh seven campaign, you know, absolutely independent person to be able to tell us that cost a living well, it's kind of everyone's problem, not the government that has promised to make it better, but it's all worse. Okay, let's talk Trump and Liberation Day in the Rose Garden in the White House. You know the story. By now, tariffs are going to be put on friend and foe Australia thankfully ten percent bottom of the list. It is ten percent on five percent of our global exports. Not unimportant and very important for our farmers, but not exactly the end of the Australian economy and a little bit of a fizzer because the media has been building this one up for weeks.
Speaker 13: Tariffs tariffs, tariffs, tariffs, tariffs, tariff terriffs, tariffs are tariffs, tariffs, tariff tariffs, tariff tariffs.
Speaker 1: Tariff because remember this bloke, if he runs on his own record, might get a little bit wobbly. Not that he fell off a stage today again, I don't care about that. But instead there were going to be new tariffs, and they were going to be mega tariffs, and they were going to come after the pharmaceutical benefit scheme. Remember the stories that were around for weeks. Healthcare is going to be attacked by evil Orange Man. The pharmaceutical benefit scheme meaning cheaper drugs. This will be the focus of an evil Trump. Don't forget. Musk and big Tech are urging Trump to punish Australia instead. Again not insignificant, ten percent on five percent of our overall exports, not insignificant, but in the end, compared to other countries, we copped a tap, not a kick.
Speaker 14: Australia bans and they're wonderful people and wonderful everything, but they ban American beef. Yet we imported three billion dollars of Australian beef from them just last year alone. They won't take any of our beef.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you know by now ten percent largely going to be in and around Australian beef okay. But again to put this into context and all of that hype which is all about trying to save Anthony Abernezi from his own record and trying to move the federal election to being a referendum on Donald Trump because the majority of Australians don't like Donald Trump. Well, it's here, but in context, again, it is significant. I'm not pretending that it is not. But if the overall countries that we export to, if randomly a ten cent tariff was put in place, say calling a country out for being the potential origin, if not definite, origin of a flu that ended up killing millions of people and shutting the country down for two years, that would be significant, right, Because China is the place where we send the most stuff. It is thirty two percent of all of our exports at two hundred and nineteen billion. Japan is a thirteen percent, Korea is it six percent, India is at five percent, the US is at five percent. Meantime, the things that we do send to the United States, so yeah, ten percent extra on meat, on some but not all, of our precious stones and metal because gold is not going to be involved in this because you know, there's all those podcasts adds about gold in the United States, medical tech that's two billion dollars. Pharmaceutical products that's less than two billion dollars and one billion dollars worth of machinery. Now, I do not agree, do not support. This is ridiculous that Australia is going to end up getting a tax put upon us. It is just as ridiculous, but perhaps not quite as much as what China did to us for a couple of years. But sh don't talk about that Orange man worse than President z Well. The reason that America claims that they are able to put a ten percent tariff on us is because, well, we have little ways of charging things that are brought into this country. Now they're not tariffs, but there is a charge. If you want to export something from a country and import it into this country, there is a ten percent tax, a consumption tax on all of those things that are brought into the country. If you want to buy a car worth eighty grand or more from the United States, you'll have to pay luxury car tax. But of course there isn't an Australian car industry. And then, of course, depending on what it is there's those little excise taxes, you know, the ones that could be about everything from petrol to tobacco, to beer, to spirits, to textiles, to passenger motor vehicles to footwear, and those get forty three billion dollars from the Australian government each and every year. But this is a tectonic day. The number of journalists that I've heard today what a wild? What's wild? I totally disagree with the tariffs being put in place. I am absolutely aware of the consequences that they will have for our beef farmers in particular. I am not minimizing that in any way, shape or form. But of course this was about trying to put Donald Trump heart and center of the federal election campaign. So here was the reaction across the gamut. Let me be clear, they are totally unwarranted. The world has changed as of today. This is a bad day for our country.
Speaker 15: This is a poor decision.
Speaker 1: This was an announcement which is very disappointing.
Speaker 16: Now, these escalating trade tensions do cast a dark shadow over the global economy.
Speaker 1: As for the White House, they say, lie back and think of Washington.
Speaker 8: My advice to every country right now is do not retaliate, sit back, take it in, let's see how it goes. Because if you retaliate, there will be escalation if you don't retaliate. This is the high water mark.
Speaker 1: Now. Thankfully there were plenty of even handed, non political people who were out there to tell us that despite the fact that the tax is to be paid by going into America, therefore the cost of it goes up in America, it will be us in Australia who will have to pay more.
Speaker 7: These tariffs are going to have a big impact, especially on our struggling producers out west.
Speaker 1: Okay. Of course, you know again, I'm glad that we have these non partisan people who are out and about. Oh and by the way, help me out how this works. Apparently, according to those that are starting to guess, the Reserve Bank next meeting, which will not happen during the election campaign but will happen after the election campaign, will be one of apparently up to four cuts in rates that will happen as a result of the global tariffs. So help me out. Is it good or is it banned? I want to talk about China because yes, they punished Australia. Why because we wanted an investigation into the Wu flu that, as I said, killed millions, shut down the world. But nothing to see there, right, And of course if you don't bring up such unpleasantness with the Chinese government, well they'll call you a handsome boy, won't they. And of course they'll get rid of silly tariffs that they put in place. When it came to things like wine. Again, when there was like a two hundred and something, it was somehow Australia's fault and Australian media was blaming. But of course when it's Trump anyway, who can follow the logic here? But one thing that absolute changed was that the Chinese diaspora one point four million people in Australia have some sort of a connection back to China. They had previously in the twenty twenty, twenty nineteen election, twenty sixteen, twenty thirteen, and I think even in the twenty ten election had largely backed in the Liberal Party seats like ben Along or seats like Red, places like Chisen. They kind of come and go, but the message was sent launded through Chinese propaganda. The Libs were evil, terrible, must get rid of them. This was one of the reasons why they lost a collection of seats and why the Liberal Party has been trying to work its way back to form some sort of a relationship with Chinese voters. We'll all find out if it works together. Keep an eye on places again, as I say, like Benolong. But there are plenty of ways that people get their news, and plenty of people that the diaspora get their news from. Now. It used to be something that the Australian media cared about, but now they don't. I wonder that's because there's a political outcome that they like. But what used to be the old newspapers is now all online and much of that information again gets washed through bad actors who are trying to do the bidding of the Chinese Communist Party. But don't talk about that. Of course, TikTok, the Chinese surveillance app, which is banned on all government devices, unless, of course it's a labor MP who wants to do a silly dance, then it's really important. But then there are other ways like we chat, which remember Scott Morrison got censored on before the last election. No completely free speech app. And then there's this new one which is even worse than TikTok, called red Note. But it's new and it tells me I've got seven trillion followers and every video I post is viewed by nine billion people. So it's good for when I go to advertisers and say please give me money because I'm a massive influencer. Well Cricket of the Turbul Times The Guardian today they had an exclusive story about some of the crap that is being fed to some parts of that one point four million people who will vote at this upcoming election. Frankly, lots disinformation experts have accused migration agents of sharing false information about Anthony Aberineese and Peter dutt On the Chinese social media app Red Note to win clients, including claims that Australia is turned wicked and is actively targeting Chinese people. One photoshopped image published by a migration consultancy earlier this month carried the headline Australia's turned wicked targeting tens of thousands of Chinese people with a picture of the current Prime minister. The post falsely claimed that the Albenese government had proposed very controversial plan to expel non citizens to a third nation, which would affect Chinese Australians and their families. Of course, there is no such plan. Another one on February twenty eight, posted by a migration agency based in China, splash the headline that Australia is officially announcing to cancel citizenship with a picture of Peter Dutton. Nothing to see here. Again. If it was the Russians, it would be called elect interference because clearly not much happens in Russia without the say so of the government. If it's China, we just pretend it's not an interference in our elections. One that was successful last time. Will it be so again? Well we'll all have to find out together, won't we. All Right now, I want to talk about not just whether leaders have been today, but at a moment we're going to have a chat to somebody from the Kid's helpline. But I want you to see about who's playing defense and who's playing attack at the moment. The seats that Peter Dutton has gone to in the first week of this campaign. He has gone to Bruce Brisbane, Corwell, his own in Dixon where we had the pup test on Monday, the seat of Hawk Hume, Latrobe, Marianoa, McEwen McMahon Melbourne, Morton, Patterson, Bullwinkle Forest, majority of those held by the Labor Party. He's on attack. But the bloke is apparently winning this election is playing an awful lot of defense because he went to Boothby Labor seat, Canberra Labor seating, My labor seat, Dixon attack seat, Eden Manero labor seat, has like a labor seat, Hinkler l NP seat, Laylor labor seats, Sturt Liberal seat, Wills labor seat, Hunter labor seat as well. Why is the guy who's winning playing so much defense? Well, that's right, maybe he's not. I care about our kids like you do, because not just future of the country, but they're they're the most important people in our families, right because they are the ones that will carry on all of the different traditions that we have. And I got two little kids in primary school. You've got kids, grandkids, nieces, nephews. All right, we care about our kids. And the thing that I constantly come back to on this program is the kids are not all right, and no, just a swift kick in the barman a, you know, a couple of days off the video games, or a spoonful of concrete and they'll harden up. It's not going to fix things a lot of complicated reasons, but every now and then a little flare goes up about just how bad kids are doing it. Yesterday I told you the report that came out of the Kid's Helpline. This is a really special service, and I want you to memorize the number one hundred double five, one hundred one one hundred double five one a hundred kids Helpline dot com dot au if you prefer to do things digitally or text. Tracy Adams is the CEO of your town. They're the people who run this incredible service and we absolutely love what they do. Tracy, nice to see you. I'm sorry that the numbers are going up. It's a sign that our kids are not all right, and it's something that always moves me every time. And these numbers are now even higher than we were in and around the pandemic. Seventy four six hundred and sixty counseling sessions or interactions. That's two hundred kids a day.
Speaker 11: Well, that's right. I think we are concerned about the rising number of serious concerns that young people are contacting us about, but we should also be very proud of young people recognizing where to go for help and reaching out for help because that of with some very serious crisis situations.
Speaker 1: I also like that in a time of darkness, they're going to head your way. And that's why I want that number just drilled in, right, Like my kids are aware of it, right. I don't know if they've ever called it or whatever. It's their business if they wish to write. But you've got to have something and someone outside of the family, outside of the friends, who you may be able to offload with, who might be able to turn you away from the worst possible moments, because, as we saw in the report, thirty nine percent of the reasons for calling was because that attempted suicide or some are very close to it. Thirty percent child abuse and problems when it comes to their mental health. Give me an idea about the intensity of the interactions, about how serious the interactions are.
Speaker 11: Well, those numbers that you just shared reflect when our counselors have to decide that a young person is at imminent harm. So we have about eighty nine of those crisis interventions week, So their number one priority is right in that moment, let's keep this young person as safe and as we can possibly make them, while another part of our team will help get in contact with police, ambulance or child protection services. But in every interaction, the child is our number one priority and those young children they're presenting at that time at high risk of very serious harm to themselves.
Speaker 1: If somebody donates to you, they can either do it through their business or obviously through their own pocket. What happens with that money and how does it help the kids?
Speaker 11: Well, our number one resources our counselors. They're paid professionals, tertiary qualified. The great thing about that is that young people can come back to the same counselor each time. I think one of the things about Kids Helpline that's special is that it's free. It's equitable to everyone, and there shouldn't be any family that worries about can they afford for their child to get the right support when they need it. Seventy five percent of all the Contactic Kids Helpline come outside normal business hours, so we have to have a safety in it there when no one else is.
Speaker 1: I'm political, you're not. You need all sides of politics to help your organization. Now, I want to make that very very clear. But do we have to have more of a chat at a time of hyper focus when our vote matters about our kids, about those mental health support systems.
Speaker 11: Well, I think we don't have to be political to know that we need investment into our young people. We need to be listening to them, We need to be caring about what those needs are. We need to be making sure that the investment's going into the places that can make a difference. And that means different things at different times. We need investment into acute mental health need we need an investment into education. We need investment into helping our families, our parents know how to deal with some of the complexes use that children present with. And I don't think that's political. I actually think that's what we all need to be thinking about where that investment needs to go.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you've had the chance to see that show on Netflix Adolescents, right, it's a hardcore four hours of a look about a kid who commits murder. It's not a what do they say, It's not a how who done it? It's a why they did it. And I've had a lot of chats with people that I wouldn't normally talk to people about about all sorts of precious that exist, from social media to school bullying, to know all sorts of stuff that's around. How important is it that when the culture turns to things like that, that it means some people might be having their first conversation in a long time about what's really going on with kids.
Speaker 11: Well, shows like that are certainly doing a job about elevating some of the serious issues that are happening. And I think, as parents often say to us, we actually don't know how to have this conversations. We're worried about them. Young people tell us that they simply don't know who to talk to, and they worry about putting burden onto their parents because their parents have already got a lot of things to be worried about. But we are seeing cultural change. We are seeing young people be made to be aware of behaviors that we wouldn't normally want to be tolerating. We wouldn't want to be seeing any young people. They're learning things online that aren't healthy, that aren't good for them, and then they're using those behaviors against others. But as adults, we've got a lot to think about in our own behaviors as well. And I think that's the whole element here, especially around things like bullying, where we get a lot of presentations young people don't know how to find.
Speaker 2: A way out.
Speaker 11: But as adults, what are we teaching people about the behaviors that we want our children to have? And that's something that we should all be reflecting on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, buddy Earth, if you think that blowing up at each other isn't going to rub off on the kids, then you're not really paying attention. Tracy, Thank you so much again. You can donate to this phenomenal a service, but more importantly, I want you to have the telephone number written down one one hundred, double five one one hundred kids Helpline dot com dot au. Just leave it around, write on a posted note, leave it on a door. Why not? Okay, but if you want to donate, and if you can, it is tax deductible. Good to see kids Helpline dot com dot you. Thank you, Tracy. We'll see you again into the future. Quick break back with more back to the election debate and they winner and Loser of the week all on its way. You can always send me an email with news tips, Paulitskynews dot com dot you. I have goods this Sunday night, as you know, State of the Race Thursday night, another hardcore chat about politics and two blokes in it, very very well from lots of different sides, the wonderful Darren Barnett, who's in studio here, studio. This is in a studio. It's a man cave. And joining us right now is James Ashby because there was big news Paul and Hens's daughter is now going to be running for one nation in Tasmania where he is right now. I see winter has arrived early for you, my friend.
Speaker 5: Yeah, easing mate, especially for.
Speaker 1: That's going to say Camber's bad enough. Enjoyed Tazzy and the wins tonight and tomorrow. All right, let's talk about the politics of Tariff's, okay, Darren, huge hype going into this, right, It is not good. It is not okay. It's a terrible decision, all right, correct, No, but particularly the beef the beef produces, that's that's bad news. Ten percent of five percent is not going to destroy the Australian economy. And I think that means that Albow's real hope, which was to put Trump at the center of the Australian election campaign for the next three weeks didn't quite work. What do you reckon?
Speaker 16: I feel it's probably true that obviously James is the other guest, and he's he would know more from a Pauline Hanson perspective. The problem for Dutton is that he gets hit from the left and the right and wherever he sits. The people who watch your show, the people who vote for Pauline Hanson, they're going to say, well, Dutton's not quite as much like Trump as we like, he's not as hard as we'd like, and the people in the center, I think he's a little bit too much like Trump. So I think the problem for Dutton isn't really one of Anthie elbhen eas he's making.
Speaker 1: It's just the.
Speaker 16: Times, and sadly for Dutton at the moment, the times don't quite suit him.
Speaker 1: James, your sense here again, is it serious trouble when it comes to the next few weeks or I'm going to use the word fizzy right. People were banging on about that with tropical cyclone they were able to say that, and again, the tropical cyclone was a thing all right, but thankfully it wasn't as bad as it could have been. What's your sense about just how much has changed, because you can see that albou was desperate to make this the Trump referendum.
Speaker 15: Well, we heard the lead up to this big announcement was all about, oh, it's going to destroy the beef industry. It's going to destroy pharmaceuticals that we export to the United States, which are two extraordinarily big exports for US.
Speaker 5: But so too as gold.
Speaker 15: People don't realize we've got probably around a combined trading arrangement with the United States of around ninety to one hundred billion dollars, of which Australia export's about probably thirty five forty billion. The thing is that it didn't turn out the way that everyone predicted it to.
Speaker 5: So it has been a visit today.
Speaker 15: Gold prices went down yesterday I was having a look at gold prices. There are about five thousand and fifty dollars Australian per rounds.
Speaker 5: That's now down back under five thousand.
Speaker 15: So it wasn't you know, people run to gold for security and safety. Well they obviously realized that it wasn't the need to rush to gold. The other thing too, is that you've got to remember the American dollar is extraordinarily strong against the Australian dollar, so there's still going to be this desire to buy Australian products.
Speaker 5: We're cheap, We're cheap to Americans.
Speaker 15: But I don't blame Trump when he wants to protect industries. I wish we had stronger leaders in this country because some countries want to work for a bowl of ice a day. Pay our workers very well here and no one wants to take that away from them. But if you were to compete on a global market with a lot of these Asian economies, you have to apply tariffs because otherwise you end up like Australia, destroyed manufacturing and industries. And we should be protecting our own industries here in Australia.
Speaker 5: Trump's done it for how long it lasts. Who knows.
Speaker 15: If there's a change of leadership under Dutton, who knows what we may be able to negotiate.
Speaker 5: But it is a bloody big feasitt today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm just looking at the futures market, of course, a couple of hours before the American market opens, and no doubt there's going to be lots of red there. The total market value is forty one thousand now on the dow. The suggestion is at the start it's going to go down by about a thousand, not an insignificant number, but again not the sort of COVID early days of COVID. But that's just the markets. And I'm not here for financial advice in any way, shape or form. But it's interesting. And also, Darren, you know Australia for generations has had to deal with globe blows. Right, the idea that we used to make a car, and we used to make a fridge, and we use all of these things, right, and then slowly but surely, Oh, it's just easier for someone somewhere else for four cents a day to make it and then we'll import it back in Trump views it as a way of funding his economy because he wants to get rid of things like income tax. Do you think that it actually is going to be a substantial kick in the backside to Australia to actually start making stuff again. But we don't even make copy paper anymore.
Speaker 16: Oh, we do. We get rid of our natural resources and then import them back. That's been the case for a long time and I think certainly if you talk about James's voter base in Queensland. A lot of them are old labor voters who still like the Union but don't necessarily love the Labor Party, the modern iteration of the Labour Party. But trade wars are very complicated things, and once you start them, you don't I.
Speaker 1: Don't know where they go. I don't know where it ends.
Speaker 16: And for someone like Trump who does like to control that, he doesn't know what's going to blow back and how hard. And I think it's also true that in a few months time, when the price of a television and a price of other things skyrocket, that even though they've tried to soften the American public with this is going to be difficult. But trust us, when massive price hikes happen on certain items, it's going to be very hard to keep all of this under control domestically.
Speaker 1: So I think November they're going to smack him about.
Speaker 16: There's a little bit of visitist today, but really it's about what happens in the next twelve eighteen months, and that's the real telling factor, particularly at home for Trump.
Speaker 1: Now. Today the boss of the ABC was playing a home game the National Press Club, where basically he was sending up a not so subtle signal, you know, the only we need more money because we were doing more with less, which is every business in Australia, a littleone, the one that gets guaranteed more than a billion bucks coming over there into the bank account every year. And then he's obviously out there that Peter Dutton, well you know he's not going to be the friend of the ABC, and that of course feeds into teel Land and all the rest of it here. But I want to talk about the politics of the ABC because while I will gladly go to battle with many of their leftis and certainly i'll give it the lefty Laura Tingle and all the rest of it, I have no problem with public broadcasting. I have no problem with it filling the parts of the market that the commercial interests don't be at, things like women's sport, regional coverage, that that stuff. Right, no problems. Basically there's lots of good stuff done. But in many ways, let's be honest, it's Channel nine without the ads, the Star system, the gold Logi nominees, the cross promotion, all of that business. But politically speaking, James yep okay, there's a certain section of people who say sell the damn. But its not going to happen, never gonna happen. But what is the politics of the ABC when the boss of a government organization is basically out there saying don't vote for one of the two options of government.
Speaker 15: It's quite literally what it's come down to today's discussion. Look, he's asking for a firm answer from Dutton as to whether or not that funding is going to be there in the long term if he wins government. Well, I'll give you a firm view of what one nation think. We're prepared to get some of the funding from the television side of the ABC because Paul, we got hosts on the ABC, which we discovered a couple of years ago, like Media Watch on Monday nights. It's one program per week, last what five minutes, and the host has played over two hundred thousand dollars a year plus.
Speaker 5: He's got a swag of staff.
Speaker 15: Come on, you can't tell me that that's good value for money in our national broadcaster.
Speaker 5: What the ABC do very well is regional radio.
Speaker 15: They do a remarkable job on most of their radio networks. I was sick for two weeks, mate, a couple of weeks ago. I was laid up with influenza A. I spent a lot of time scanning the ABC. As you know, they've got four channels. One's kids, the other three are basically repetitive. They repeat each other's programs. Half the crap comes from other countries. If we're to produce local content on all for that, but the ABC's given up significantly.
Speaker 5: Their ratings are right down.
Speaker 15: I don't see the value when we're spending over a billion dollars a year. So if Williams wants some surety, one nation is saying, if we hold the balance of power, we will be taking a razor blade to some of that budget and it will come from the fat television's part of the ABC. Leave the radio stations loan. But the television needs gutting.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: I have a little look at, by the way, the amount of money that they hide off in co productions. That's how many of the people you see on TV actually get paid. So therefore it doesn't turn up in the books. The politics of the ABC, is it a third rail because we certainly know that that particularly the Teals love to run on this issue.
Speaker 16: I think in the wealthier parts of Australia, and certainly some seats that have got an older demographic, the trust factor and the love of the ABC is still incredibly strong. The problem the ABC has and so does a lot of kind of all of it. A lot of media has this problem, but younger people aren't using it and consuming it. They rely on other forms, whether it's podcasts or whether it be surveillance apps. Indeed, but look, that's the problem for all media, all kind of legacy media, including the ABC, is how are they going to convince younger people to get on board? And when you're publicly funded, you need to be able to justify your existence well and in fairness, but it does matter the wealthier the seat and the closer they are to the CBD, then it matters in terms of the big cities. Regions are also definitely regional radio and other things. I think it was about twenty sixteen they put some regional cadet chips in and other bits and pieces. That's been successful and there should be more of that.
Speaker 1: A great completely. Perhaps the transmission costs might be a way of looking at things. Everything can be streamed, the Internet available everywhere. Do we really need that many stations on that many radio towers around the country who knows back with more a winner and loser of the week. We'll get to it next, including Paul's aside, who was the winner and loser of this week in the election? I love on a Thursday night, my brother from another mother, literally and physically. It seems to be no than the wonderful Darren Bunnette.
Speaker 16: One day they'll know how often we swap and that just goppleganger in.
Speaker 1: Correct, correct, all right? And the wonderful James Ashby who is in Tasmania. So let's talk about why you're in Tasmania, which is Pauline Hanson's daughter, who is spectacular on TV any day by the way, great from breakfast to press conferences and interviews. She is a star and she's the top of the ticket in Tasmania.
Speaker 15: She's definitely the diplomatic one of the family, paul She's got a great deal of talent.
Speaker 5: Talent, that's for sure.
Speaker 15: And look, I know for many years Pauline's been asking Lee to run for the Senate or run for a lower house seat here in Tasmania. And look, I guess we've all got a time in life, which is right. She's forty one now, same age as Pauline was when Pauline was first elected to the Lower House. So maybe it's an omen we'll see what happens. There's got two wonderful kids down here and tazzy've been here for thirteen years and it is right. Lee performed extraordinarily well today. I think people can see there's a lot of likeness. They've got the same nose if you take a good look paul but you know they're an extraordinary family. She's seen the highs and the lows and the hard times of her mum. But boy has she got something to offer. She's a real talent for Tasmania and that is the person I'd pick as the winner of the week this week. TASMANI really has a great opportunity to elect a one nation representative in Lee and keep that handsOn legacy alive because unfortunately Pauline can't go forever. She's still got plenty more years left in her but the legacy has to be there for one nation and I think having two Hanson's on the floor of Parliament is better than one bloody oath.
Speaker 1: Let's get her on the show Sunday night. Organize at someone anyone. I'd love to get her on the show Lee Hanson. Lovely passionate and great option for someone serious rather than the sort of lambie of it all. We're literally on our own page. There's no policies right, it's you know, great with a grab on TV. But come on you when somebody who's actually got some ideas, Darren, you're we're a loser of the campaign week polls a side.
Speaker 16: Hey on winner of the Week. I want to say Canada because they were. They just didn't get mentioned, yes, and I don't know why, but they have managed to escape that and it looks like the remnants of the Trudeau government are a chance of winning, which I don't know what the bookies odds were a couple of months ago, but.
Speaker 1: You could have made it money.
Speaker 16: Yes, yes, campaign wise, Look, I think Elbows had a better week than Dutton and it follows and having had a better week than Dutton for the last two or three weeks, so six or eight weeks ago, I thought the Libs were a pretty good chance to get into seventy. Now it feels a little bit distant to me unless there's a massive turnaround.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it'll be fascinating to see in the next of a while. Again, part of the planning and the timing is the of school holidays, public holidays, all the rest of it. But people still taking plenty of information over the next of a while.
Speaker 16: He doesn't elbow, looks like he I think he's much you're a frame of mind than he was three years ago. He looks more assured, he looks like he's across the brief. He just looks as I think he uses the term match fit, and that matters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but when you can't even admit that you've fallen off a stage, I mean this is sort of like again, I literally don't care. It is nothing, nothing, nothing, And yes, I know somebody's going to put together that mega cut. I've mentioned lots of times to take the piss right, But if you can't even be honest about whether you fell off the stage or not, James, please, and.
Speaker 15: The public can see right through that. And this is his biggest problem. He's been called out so many times over the last three years for promises that have never come to fruition.
Speaker 5: In fact, were impossible.
Speaker 15: You know that two hundred and seventy five dollars reduction in electricity prices, that's just one of many the mere fact that he's guillotines with no debate over two hundred pieces of legislation in our Senate.
Speaker 5: That's disgraceful.
Speaker 15: That's not democracy, that is not how our Parliament's meant to work. The Australian public should be appalled by that, and that behavior was only enabled by the Greens, Jackie Lamby and David Pocock, plus that halfwit out of Victoria Lydia Thorpe. So you know, we've got to really change the makeup of the Senate.
Speaker 5: The only way we're going to do that is if you.
Speaker 15: Vote Conservative in the lower House and you get that with One Nation and other parties. But also we've got to change the dynamics of that Senate. I say time and time again because I'm deadly serious. Unless we change it, we're going to end up with a real basket case of.
Speaker 5: A parliament whatever happens after May three.
Speaker 1: Of course, if Lydia thor would like to join us at any time to dispute or push back on any observations of our guests, all the hosts, she's welcome here for the full hour at any time.
Speaker 16: I didn't know where you were going to go with that halfwid from Victoria.
Speaker 1: Why is the assumptions exactly?
Speaker 5: Darren?
Speaker 1: We are literally inside our last minute here. Can I just ask you both?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 1: Just a random question, core flutes, why are there're so many? There are too many around and it kind of pease a lot of people off, don't you think, Darren?
Speaker 16: There are too many? But I do like the Amelia Hamer. That was good, smart, that's clever. Yeah, don't take this one, but.
Speaker 1: I'd love to see one's about values, not just about some face of some person in a QR code.
Speaker 5: James, Yeah, the Greens are so anti gas.
Speaker 15: But guess where cor flute comes from the gas industry.
Speaker 5: It's plastic, your fools.
Speaker 1: Great point, I'll tell you what. Whoever the core flute people are enjoy I'm sure you're making hey while the sunshines. Thank you lads to appreciate. I have a wonderful weekend. That's our show for tonight. Don't forget Sunday Night, State of the Race, hardcore politics. As we move into the second week, remember just about twenty days until the first votes are counted and the People's Forum next week. Have a great weekend, Go Tigers, Go Yankees. Stutter didn't keep it