Speaker 1: From the Sky News Center. This is Paul Murray Live. Good evening, and welcome to the program. James Borrow here is sitting in again for Paul Murray Live. And Wow, what a big show we've got coming up for you tonight. I'm thrilled to be here and I'm even more thrilled to have you here with me. Now, in a little bit we're gonna go hard on the CFMAU, the Greens, Matt Kean, Oh yeah, he's added again, and all the other big stories happening here in Australia with your Wednesday Night favorites, including Bronwin Bishop and Linda Scott right here in the house. But look, there is so much stuff coming out of the States right now, including the absolutely incredible, unbelievable excuses that US Secret Service brass are making for just how they happen to miss a guy climbing up a roof hoof one hundred or so meters from the former and likely future President Trump and then let him manage to get off several shots before finally being eliminated when agents return fire. Now I want you to watch this. Somebody has done a computer model to show just how close we came to losing Trump on the weekend. Watch this modeling of how he just happened to turn his head by coincidence, by divine intervention. You be the judge, just at the moment the would be assassin's bullet passed millimeters from his skull.
Speaker 2: Take your look, Corp, and.
Speaker 1: Wow, I mean I get chills just watching that. But you know, even more chilling is the way the Secret Service is trying to wriggle out of what looks like, at the very best to be rank gross incompetence of the worst sort. Check out the excuse secret Service Boss Kimberly Cheedle is trotting out for her agents. And why there was no agent on that roof where the sniper took his shot.
Speaker 3: Should that roof have been secure?
Speaker 1: Period?
Speaker 4: That building in particular has a sloped roof at its highest point, and so you know there's a safety factor that would be considered there that we wouldn't want to put somebody up on a sloped roof, and so you know, the decision was made to secure the building from inside.
Speaker 1: It was a safety factor. You know, it was a slope, there was a tilt, It was dangerous, too dangerous for these people who go and put their lives on the line. I mean, imagine this a slope. What do we say, sorry, kids, no present from santin this year? The roof is on a slope. Hey, maybe this is why they designed the White House with a flat roof all those years ago, because they knew down the road secret Service agents who take an oath to put their bodies on the line wouldn't slip and hurt their ankles or something protectingly the president. Of course, this doesn't make any sense at all. It doesn't make any sense because if you look at this, the snipers that were behind Trump and shot the shooter were on a sloped roof too. Put that back up on the screen so people can see it, because seriously, what is going on here? Look, there's been more evidence that this has just been an incredible dereliction of duty come out of the last several hours that the war on competence, on expertise, on people who know what they're doing has taken a new and frightening direction. CNN has reported new details on the tempt a dissassination, including that that there would be assassin passed through a Secret Service checkpoint with a rangefinder and apparently nothing was done about it.
Speaker 5: We also understand that when he got to the fair grounds where this rally was being held for Donald Trump, the first thing that puts him on the radar of security people is near the magnetometer area where they're screening people in. He's carrying in his hand a range finder. It's a device that looks like a small pair of binoculars, but it's used by shooters to measure the distance when they're setting up a long distance shot. Because he didn't have a weapon, that would not have prevented him to go through security, but they did flag what does he have this in his hand for? At that point they told people keep an eye on this guy. But then he leaves the secure area, the staging area, and he doesn't turn up again for some time, until the crowd says, there's a guy crawling up the roof and it appears he has a rifle.
Speaker 1: Great, great work there, guys. Well, hey, he's got a range fighter. Nothing suspicious about that. I think we should just let him climb up on a roof near the president. And there's also this, and you know the physical damage that has been done. Trump's stinged up ear and the really tragic loss of a retired firefighter. The crowd, Well, that doesn't account for the political damage that has occurred. And I mean it's not hard to see how people really start to wonder if there is something more going on with this, especially when there seems to be no consequence for a horrendous series of errors. And for the moment, that's all we can call this. But if anyone from the Biden White House is watching this and not watching Morning Joe, which apparently is back on MSNBC. Now, let me give a few recommendations for the president. One, he should demand the resignation of Kimberly Cheedle, the head of the Secret Service, to make it absolutely clear there are consequences for this gross incompetence that there is right now zero downside and a lot of political upside if he really wants to reach out across the aisle. But we know the answer to that question with Joe Biden, he won't do that, which might be why he is in so much trouble politically at the moment. Let's go back to CNN. I know a lot of CNN tonight, but check out this bit of coverage from the Republican National convention a little while ago. Where they are now saying Trump is on track to win. Well, I'll let them tell you the number, but just remember this. You need two hundred and seventy electoral votes to win the White House.
Speaker 6: So look at the map right now that gets Donald Trump to three hundred and three. And there's new polling today that shows the president's approval rating in these battleground states is below forty. The president's ballot number right now is below forty, and most of those states at it at forty two. In Nevada, it's very hard in sixteen weeks we count the vote sixteen weeks from tonight to turn that around. Plus Democrats are now worried. They think, I'm not saying this is going to happen. But what they're saying is the President's going to have to spend more time and more resources on places like Virginia because it's competitive, on places like New Hampshire because it's competitive. You look at this map as it plays out, and there are Democrats making the case, and we have Wisconsin blue here, let's move Wisconsin over here. There are Democrats making the case that Donald Trump is on a viable path as of today to get to three hundred and thirty electoral votes wolf or even higher, or even higher because they see other states in here. The Trump campaign says, Minnesota, the Trump campaign says, maybe New Mexico. Let's be cautious. Those are blue states traditionally. But the president's standing, his approval rating, his ballot number, people's views about how old he is, and people who view people who view the state of the economy are very bad for the president right now.
Speaker 1: Oh and speaking of the Republican National Convention in Swinging Milwaukee, Wisconsin, I've got a little treat for you. Former Australian Ambassador to the US Joe Hockey is there right now for Sky News and he had a chance to come catch up with current Australian Ambassador to the US Kevin Rudd. Have a listen to this here when Joe Hockey tried to pin Kevid ron down run down on whether or not Trump's got this thing in the bag.
Speaker 2: It's clear that there is a momentum behind the Republicans, but it can turn, and you know the issue will be at this stage, if Conald Trump can say measured speech on Thursday night, he can win by seven points. If he gives an acrimonious speech, a traditional speech, then he's gonna bring Biden back into the fault and in a play, well send them.
Speaker 7: When you look at the new political chamber around President Trump, led by City Whiles, it's been a highly disciplined performance. We saw that evidenced here just yesterday when the President entered into this shall we say stadium of those who love him. There was an opportunity to speak differently.
Speaker 1: He chose not to speak.
Speaker 7: If that remains his campaign discipline for the period ahead, it becomes a formidable political challenge for the Democrats heading right through until the fifth of November.
Speaker 1: Gosh, he's being very diplomatic, there isn't he?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 1: And there was also this bit apparently Kevin Rudd is texting now with good old Trump's running mate JD. Vance.
Speaker 9: We've had what I described as a texting relationship for some time.
Speaker 8: And.
Speaker 9: I certainly read his book quite a while ago, in Liliberal Theology.
Speaker 1: It's a really.
Speaker 9: Provocate book in terms of the qualities he brings to this office. That's, of course a matter for American domestic political opinion.
Speaker 1: Is it that cute they're texting buddies now? Good old Kevin Rudd and JD Vattce. I love it. It's absolutely hilarious. And I know that Kevin Rudd is just doing his job here, but I also find it fascinating to me how Kevin Rudd is pivoting so hard now to being pals with the Trump team after being such a fierce critic.
Speaker 10: Remember this, this guy is a problem. He is an objective problem for the world, for the region, for my country, and of course not as an American, I will not comment and the problem that he represents to the United States domestically.
Speaker 1: So he's a buzzword. Yeah, that was Kevin Rudd on Donald Trump there. So it seems to be Kevin Rudd has looked at the polls here in the US a bit like puntered a nightclub looking at his watch before the ugly lights come up, and said, well, he better changes tune and take what he can get and start chatting up the Trump team. And hey, I'm going to be joined tomorrow night, by the way here on Palmery Live by Joe Hockey himself, So let me know if you've got anything you want me to ask him, and I'll bring that to you tomorrow night. Now, let's get into it right here, Broadwin Bishop, you know, Scott, thank you so much for being here. Now you've got I want to talk about this first. It's a Republican convention. You've got a little bit of convention memorabilia here. I don't know if we can see this here. Tell us about this.
Speaker 8: This is a scaff that I bought when I attended the nineteen eighty eight Republican Convention in New New Orleans. And of course that was the last time that Reagan made his big speech as president. And of course George Bush Sr. Was then nominated to be the the Republican nominee. And then I did, in fact go back for George Bush's inauguration, which was an amazing experience as.
Speaker 1: Well, fantastic, was a great bit of history. There we've got going on here. I love it. I absolutely think.
Speaker 11: It's fair glamorous.
Speaker 1: So glamorous is a nick glamorous. We love it. Now, let's get though onto this whole big story about the assassination attempt of Donald Trump, because I just think there's so much unpack here, and as the dust settles, the conspiracy theories are coming out. As always, prominent American attorney Jonathan Turley has written a column this week saying that a Virginia professor named Sethunia Macoco has explained that the attempted assassination of Donald Trump was nothing but a ploy to get the votes of idiots. Bronwin. If we're buying this conspiracy theory that's being pushed by an American academic, and I'll tell you what, this professor's not alone. I'm seeing this sort of thing all over Twitter. This means that the Trump campaign and the Secret Service allowed a student from a high school to fire multiple rounds at the president in hopes it would miss him. Does this sound at all plausible to you?
Speaker 8: No, But these are the sort of people who probably believe that there was no moon landing either, so you know they've got their own fantasies. But there are other stories coming out from the other side of opposing those views that maybe that there was some inside job. So there are all sorts of rumors will always fly. But people saw it. I saw it, You saw it for yourself. And what has become incredible is the cover up of the sheer mess that was made of the proper protection of the former president. And when I heard that line, about the roof being too steep. I thought secret services are prepared to put their lives on the line, correct, but they can't stand on the pitch roof.
Speaker 1: I mean seriously, and it wasn't even all that pitch to roof.
Speaker 8: But but well, I'll say this, if if you follow di you might end up die.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, that's what a lot of people, including Elon Musker, saying here. But Linda Scott, though, one of the things that I find really fascinating about this year is that, you know, for the last eight years we've been told Republicans and the right they're all the conspiracy theorists. You know, they're all into QAnon and things like this. And it seems to me that in the wake of this, you know, terrible incident and a real tragedy because let's not forget a civilian who was out there exercising their democratic right to watch their candidates speak lost their life, that the left now seems to be or that some bits of the left, certainly on Twitter and other places, are now embracing these weird, lunatic conspiracy theories. I had someone this morning say to me, oh, come on, that was all a setup. And I'm thinking what's going on here.
Speaker 12: On former President Trump is truly shocking, and I don't think anyone who saw the footage or read about it could say anything other than that it's an awful episode of violence which we should absolutely and universally condemn. I do think that as we see poles showing that trust in government is declining, and let's talk about this. This is not just in the United States. It's really a global phenomenon. We need to think hard about, as people who robustly believe in the importance of democracy, what we can do together, actually all of us, to rebuild that trust, to ensure that people feel confidence in democracy, the system of democracy, that people are able to conduct themselves with safety.
Speaker 11: Certainly.
Speaker 12: You know, we have five hundred and thirty seven local governments in Australia and we have raised our concerns with the Australian Federal belief about the safety of councils, about the safety of elected representatives, you know, each week meeting in their town halls, making decisions in the public interest, facing increasing security threats even here in Australia, even in remote and regional areas. These are serious issues and what we've seen is violence against former President Trump.
Speaker 11: That is wrong.
Speaker 12: It should be strongly condemned. No violence is ever acceptable, of course, but there is a rising threat I think for political participants here in Australia as well, and it's important to have a discussion about how we together collectively restore trust in government, restore trust in the democratic systems that we know are so important for a well functioning society.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, look, I mean I think there's a lot to what you have to say. What I mean Brown, And there was another element to this is that apparently this was Trump's security team that had been stepped up as a result of threats from Iran, and apparently this was their stepped uptives. So I mean, if this is this, I don't know what the sort of the B team would look like. But just to Linda's point, when you were an MP, how did you find security? Did you find yourself ever feeling yourself under threat? And what do you think about some recommendations from people like Mike Bazilla that actually we need to come back and look harder at security and refresh it.
Speaker 8: I think Mike Bazula was correct. There is a need to look again and that perhaps reflects on what you were saying too, Linda. But all of us in public life at some stage of being subject to threats of one form or another. Most of us don't talk about this. Yeah, but you and as Speaker, I was responsible for looking at the security of Parliament House and that has enormous problems because of the nature of the building.
Speaker 12: Yeah, although there have been since your time in Parliament, brom when it's fair to say a lot of changes under by governments, I might add, but you know, I'm sure you go there regularly now when you go to Parliament. It's a very different building here in Australia. You know, there's a lot more security. There's ballards, there's physical barriers. I remember as a child rolling down the roof of Federal Parliament House, which of course you.
Speaker 8: I will say that I was the person responsible for putting guards with long arms into the Parliament, which was needed at that stage. But the problem with the building is it was built for people to have access to it, in fact that you could walk over the top of it, all that sort of thing, and it has an enormous heritage protection. I can't tell you how difficult it is if you want to change something.
Speaker 1: Yes, you really have.
Speaker 8: And it's hugely expensive because there are fees to be paid to people. Yes, anyway, that's beside it. But I think too that we've had a lot of people talk about, Oh, we're going to be very transparent and we're going to be very open, and then they're not. And I think that's one of the things that it has become. I think a mark of what's happening is happening here in Australia. It's certainly happening in the United States with Biden. Yeah, I mean that cover up of his dementia for all those years. That is anti democratic because that man was elected to do that job and he can't do it, so somebody else is doing it. That's not the moment.
Speaker 1: Well, this is the thing, This is the thing I'm really fascinated about, because you know, you mentioned Lindy, you talk about how people are, you know, losing faith in democracy or at least as the threat that they lose faith in democracy. Where where does that come from? What do you fix it? Because you know, that's a great point because we don't trust the White House now, we don't trust anybody if they won't come clean about something that we see with our own eyes. You know, a lot of people were put off by the way COVID was dealt with, in the way a lot of things that were they said a and actually be what everybody's saying was misinformation actually turned out to be true. What do you do to shore things up after things like that?
Speaker 12: Well, I think again, globally during COVID, no matter how governments handled this, we saw a sharp decline in people's trusting government, and.
Speaker 11: I think that is a worry.
Speaker 12: I think it is important that governments are more transparent. And again I say this in a very bad but it is important for them to do that, and it is important for governments to show integrity, to do everything that we possibly can to restore trusting government and trust in democracy. If you look at the long term polls, even just in Australia, you'll find that local governments are in fact the most trusted level of government because.
Speaker 1: We're no mine, not mine, not mine.
Speaker 11: I'll take views.
Speaker 12: Again, there's five hundred and thirty seven councils, but we're very close to our community.
Speaker 8: Our councilor's paid over seven hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 12: That is not right A We're very close to our communities. We're very accessible if someone wants to talk to me about a low issue. I can't tell you how many times I've just had a knock at my home door or as i'm you know, walking my children to school, stopped in the street to be asked about something. I mean, I do think that that accessibility. People say that you're human in local government and they have a lot of engagement.
Speaker 11: Well, let's higher levels of trust.
Speaker 8: That still happens to me in the supermarket.
Speaker 1: Let's move on there, because I want to come back to some of the stuff around the convention here, and I've found this whole interview that we've played a little bit of with Kevin right absolutely fascinating here and probably what I want to ask you about this now. The man who called Trump a trader to the West and blamed him for dragging America and democracy through the mud talk about trust in democracy here now stands as his number one cheerleader at the DNC. He's texting with Jdfans Bronwin Bishop. I mean, I get diplomacy, I get we want good representation for ourselves in Washington, d C.
Speaker 8: But come on, now, he's doing his best to try and Gabi his in that interview with Joe Hockey. I had to have a giggle. It did look like Sunrise, didn't it.
Speaker 1: And I mean, let's get get you, get you in on this here he's gone from a Trump hater to now being you know, probably have to at least play foot seat with team Maga.
Speaker 3: But he didn't say it was wrong.
Speaker 1: No, he couldn't say it was wrong. But you know, J d Vance, Let's be fair. Ja d Vance has had a big, you know, teleology going from being very anti Donald Trump to now being his vice president. Should we take Kevin right at his word on this look?
Speaker 12: I think that he's understood that he's gone from a you know, partisan political player as Australia's Prime Minister through to now an ambassador and that's a very different role.
Speaker 11: Of course, it's his role to act.
Speaker 12: In Australia's national interests and of course it's Ambassador Rudd's role to ensure he's doing everything he can to work with all sides of Parliament. I think, you know, people understand and respect that we've seen a former Prime Minister.
Speaker 11: Tony Abbott criticize Trump.
Speaker 12: We've seen all sorts lots of people criticize former President Trump. But you know it's in Australia's natural interest to act again with integrity to ensure that as Ambassador, Kevin Righty is engaging.
Speaker 11: With all different groups in the political process.
Speaker 12: Sure, sure, I don't think he is the first and I don't think he'll be the last to criticize or make comment on either of the major political participants in the US election.
Speaker 11: We have opinions in Australia.
Speaker 3: We like to share.
Speaker 1: Hey, and you know what I want to get you guys opinion on now biking Australia. The CFMU. Now, we have got further revelations about allegations and we have stress all just allegations about bribery, corruption, bad behavior on the part of CFM you officials, but we also have a fairly long history of people involved with all of these different unions being brought before various bodies and in many cases having convictions for various sorts of bad behavior. Broadwind Bishop, I just watched Tony Burke today and he kind of acted like, oh gosh, I mean, I had no idea that there was any problems with these sorts of things. That's all brand new to me. Did you buy that.
Speaker 8: I don't think anyone bought it. Not anybody. I mean, the CFMU has been well known as a body that has got people in it that are really bad people. And it is no surprise that the CFMU has been the biggest owner. One point nine million they gave when Albow became Leader of the Leader of the Opposition and then went on to win the election. But I took a look at the figures, I just found this very interesting. Sea Bus sea Bus Union founded by the CFMU was a founder the trusty company that organizes is called United Super Propriety Limited and on that board and there are a lot of people on the board, but three of them are CFMU. And they had their fees paid to the CFMU. And the amount of the total of the fees for the year twenty twenty three was two one hundred and fifty four thousand dollars. Now that went straight to the CFMU and the money goes to the Labor Party. Now there should be a break. Now when there's been called for a royal commission, it needs to be done. Bob Hawk had a royal commission. He deregistered the BLF in nineteen eighty six and he introduced legislation to do it. Now Burke today was saying, yes, he had the power to go to the Commission and recommend that it be deregistered. No, seize the day and bring in legislation. It'd be we're ordered by the opposition and d register that.
Speaker 1: This is the big union. This is the big question then, you know, and this is just about the board. This is about an allegation of crump.
Speaker 8: Right, I'm not alligating. There's no no question of crush the these people at all, except to say the money goes from the link into the c FMU, which then goes to the Labor Party. So and if you look at it, they made a grand profit after tax one million, five hundred and forty seven thousand, but the fees paid to the directors was one million, six hundred and eighty seven thousand.
Speaker 1: Well, so here's the question then, Linda Scott like you've got Labor saying, oh, you know, we've we've got all these problems here, we're going to do something here, We're going to appoint an administrator. But what do you register them like you know Bob Hawk did back in nineteen eighty five of the BLF. Now I don't know if I fully agree with you that we need royal commission, because we've had four of these things all round.
Speaker 8: I'm not saying you can have it, but they could bring legislation in now and do it.
Speaker 1: Sure, But I want to ask you, Lindasca, how can people out there watching today trust that labor which has such a tight financial relationship with unions and gets millions of dollars from them every year on a state and federal level. You've got this fox guarding the Henhouse situation, don't you look?
Speaker 12: I really disagree with that, as you'd imagine. I think we've got a very unusual situation today in Australia where we've seen the employer body for the construction industry, through Janita Warn and the head of the employee group Sally McManus, with the ACTU, both separately agreeing with the government's action, and that is to appoint an independent administrator.
Speaker 11: This is pretty unusual.
Speaker 12: That we see the employers and the employees agreeing on a course of action about corruption that is alleged a union. I think it is absolutely right that the government has reserved all possible actions that they can take, and I understand from reading in the newspapers. They'll make some further announcements about their path forward this week. But I think it is unusual and important to note that the Employer Organization and then Peak Employee Organization are both calling for the one thing, and that is to have an independent administrator come in and have a look at the union.
Speaker 1: Well, I would say that to be cynical, to be a little cynical, to be a little cynical. The employer organization, they've got to deal with these unions still and to get things done, to build things, so they're not going to want to rock the boat.
Speaker 12: Too much now in our nation's industrial system, which is designed to represent employees and employer, but it doesn't these groups are pitted against each other.
Speaker 8: But today the new legislation brought in by a mister b this.
Speaker 1: Is the fair workout, the new fair workout.
Speaker 8: The new legislation, which comes into effect on the twenty sixth of August, means that unions will have access to every small business. It means that these people in the CFMU, in the construction division will be able to go into small businesses. They can force people to.
Speaker 12: Do let's know, not to get that under the former nostrustal relations laws in this country also allow even if the CFU is stop the union allow them to continue to represent work, but just to start.
Speaker 8: And we think is the adage that they've negotiated will stop.
Speaker 1: So Brod, I want to ask you this solenda. Today, the CFMU put out a press release in the wake of all this saying that the government had opened the gates of hell or words to that effect by by starting up even the process of appointing Adminis it can do that? Does this? I mean this surely isn't helpful, is it?
Speaker 11: I condemn that. It's the wrong thing to do.
Speaker 12: Organizations where there have been accusations of any wrongdoing should open themselves up transparently and should enable independent investigations. I mean it is wrong for them. It is wrong for the cfm AU to issue damning press releases like that.
Speaker 10: It is.
Speaker 11: Language, of course, it says it all.
Speaker 8: The CFMU is the inheritor of the b A leaf of course, and in that sense, I'm afraid what we're seeing is that they've built themselves up to be just as bad in that construction division as that ever was under well. I remember Norm going going to jail.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, anyway, let's let's let's let's let's uh, let's hold that thought. Let's go to a break. We're to come back with a bunch more stuff here. We got nuclear to talk about, gas, Matt Key to talk about, migrus to talk about. Here, Scott, bron and Bishop. After the break here of Palmary Live. Welcome back to the program. James Borrow here sitting in for Palmary Live in the Man Cave, joined here by Bronwyn Bishop and the City of Sydney Councilor Linda Scott. Thanks guys so much for being here. Now we're having a lot of fun here and you know we're going to talk about one of my favorite topics here, nuclear energy. Now, today we heard Chris Bowen, or Blackout Bowen as some people like to call him, ramp up the anti nuclear or as he likes to say, anti nuclear rhetoric. Have listened to this.
Speaker 13: The opposition blithely, and I must say arrogantly, ignores the data and facts from experts about the time and cost to build a nuclear industry for Australia and presents therefore a false future in Australia. Nuclear and renewables simply aren't compatible with each other.
Speaker 1: How can he get away with saying that nuclear and renewables aren't compatible with each other when plenty of countries like France, for one, really integrate their nuclears and fuel and their renewable sources really, really well.
Speaker 8: When you listen to Casanova Boen, yes, seriously, you can't believe a word he has to say. It's just partical. I saw a bit of him on television then it disappeared, but it was all this sort of stuff. We've done the work on nuclear, and I thought, why since you don't want it. But in any event, he then said, renewables are the cheapest because sunshine and wind are free, but it's the cost of getting it into your home or your business. And this poles and wires is extravaganza that they're building will cost one point three to one point five trillion dollars.
Speaker 1: That's trillion with that. With that, g folks t yeah, and he.
Speaker 8: Talks about other people's costings. So seriously, if I were Elbow, I'd be moving him on and finding someone who could have some at least understanding of what really is happening, because he sure doesn't. It's just opens his mouth and how it comes. Like the famous statement he made, if you don't like our policies, don't vote for them. I mean that was perhaps we should be don't believe them.
Speaker 1: He could say, well, exactly, But Linda, want to ask you though, about this sort of dogmatic insistence that it has to be renewables, it has to be wind and solar. We don't really have hydro here because we don't have enough mountains for it. Although maybe you can talk to the people doing snowy hydro at two point zero about that. But isn't it surely wouldn't it be a both responsible way for labor to look at this and also head off the coalition's nuclear policy, which to me really is about focusing attention and on the cost of renewables and how they're driving people's power up, to say, hey, look, we can investigate having all of these things rather than relying on things like the gen Cost Report, which you know, they say it's authoritative, but also makes a lot of very big assumptions about how long a nuclear plant lasts, about the cost of the wiring and all of this sort of thing.
Speaker 12: Look where to begin. You're both intelligent people, so I don't know you this. It is the case, of course, that there is no current functioning technology across the world that allows for the existence and functioning of small cell nuclears.
Speaker 1: That's not what we're talking about, So we're just.
Speaker 12: The proposals that the coalition have put forward around that are just not based on a technology that functions at the moment. The Coalition has put forward a series of proposals about larger scale nuclear power plants and they haven't consulted the mayors, they haven't consulted the local governments of the area, and that.
Speaker 11: Is very disappointing.
Speaker 12: Whether or not that becomes the Australian policy will be of course for Australians.
Speaker 8: Where's the consultation for one point three trillion dollars worth the poles and was destroying people's.
Speaker 12: Land from the actually you conflate to really different where energy will come from. And the other is that we have aging infrastructure that needs No, it's.
Speaker 8: Not aging infrastructure. This is new new poles and wise because you put out all these panels and windmills, they have to then have that power that is generated go to your home and your business and it has to be bipoles.
Speaker 1: Well, this is an interesting This is an interesting question here about the about the consultation here, and you know, you say, but they didn't go to the mayors and all that. There are people who live along where the human transmission line is going to go, and they are starting to get I am talk compulsory acquisition notice is now now before the thing has even been designed, at a very early stage of this, where they have ninety days to deal with this notice and they're not getting any and they basically have to take the offer for what's going to be compulsorily acquired. So I mean, surely there's a big problem here. Yeah, okay, fine, we got to know where the new plants are going to go. We've got to talk to the communities. You do that as part of the planning. But this renewable thing. I have spoken to people in country New South Wales outside Goulburn who are having their properties and lives ruined by some of these things that they never asked for. Either.
Speaker 12: Communities and local governments should be engaged in the energy transition. Let me make that absolutely clear. BITI Roman just let me speak. Communities and local governments should be engaged in these transitions. It is really important and they are responsible in part for allowing communities to be consulted and also to have social license around the importance of these issues. But let me say this, it is absolutely false to say that the power instability that we are experiencing at the peaks of Australian summers, for example, are coming from anything other than coal fire power stations that are aging.
Speaker 11: That is the reason which run down.
Speaker 1: What mean, let's wrap let's wrap this up here. Let's wrap this up here.
Speaker 8: Because we're still getting sixty percent.
Speaker 1: Guys. We got more to get through here. We've got more to get through here. And I want to get you guys's reaction here to this because you know it's July, it is tax cut months and we're all enjoying the great beneficence of Jim Chalmers and Anthony Albanisi with all of the new Stage three rejiggered tax cuts that they've been running all the radio ads on. Check out this video that cool Dad Anthony Albaniasi has put out to remind us all he's giving us some of our money back. Check your payslip.
Speaker 13: There'll be more going into your bank account with our tax cuts.
Speaker 1: Why is he doing this, Linda?
Speaker 12: Why not he was probably on the run going from one meeting to another, and he was telling Australians that every Australian worker got a tax cut on the first of July, that this huge cost of living relief measures, increased superannuation, cheaper childcare, cheap.
Speaker 1: Okay, where do I go? Those are the talking points. Probably you reaction very quickly.
Speaker 8: Truly, forty million dollars is spent to tell people that they're going to get a tax cut, which they'll see in any event, it doesn't They don't have to do anything, it'll happen. But the one thing I do know is those tax cuts will not last until May twenty twenty five. And that's why I say he's looking at an early election. There you go, hasn't got much else to go with. And I think if people here the mantra about cheaper medicines, when I know people who have had medicines that they were taking being taken off the PBS, when I hear other.
Speaker 1: Stories, We're gonna have to leave it there. We're gonna have to leave it there. Thank you so much for all of that. Linda Scott promin Bishop Don't go Anywhere. A lot more coming up for you here on Paul Murray Live. After the break. Welcome back to the program. James Borrow here sitting in again for Paul Murray Live while he enjoy some very well deserved time off. Now, the Albanezy government's track record of broken promises continues to grow. I know you wouldn't read about it, but you hear about it here. New figures reveal that a new migrant has arrived in Australia every single minute of every single day since the start of the year. Joining me now on the panel to discuss this is a Donnie Media's Lisa Goddard and lnp MP Henry Pike. Guys, thanks so much for coming on here to the program tonight. Lisa, let's start with you so much. And I got to say, you know, I'm a migrant myself, so we love the migration. We love the migrants everything that they bring here. But what do we have to say though about labor cutting back to sustainable levels. They're not making this happy, are they.
Speaker 14: Well, they're certainly not hitting sustainable levels. If you ask the people who are struggling with the housing crisis, you know, the rent prices, the cost of living crisis. They wouldn't be saying this is a sustainable level at all. But what they have done, James, if you go into the figures, is have actually set a record.
Speaker 3: So they've broken the record for.
Speaker 14: The numbers between January to May, for it's the highest five month period yet. So they must get a gong for that somewhere.
Speaker 3: But look, I sat.
Speaker 14: Through the LMP budget and reply dinner and I listened to Peter Dutton talk about the very issue of immigration and what it means to the average Australian who is at the cash register, trying to pay for their groceries, trying to find a home, trying to find a rental property for family, and he has managed to.
Speaker 3: Shape this whole immigration debate through that sort of cost of living lens.
Speaker 14: So I think when you look at these figures now all it doesn't support what he's saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Henry, I want to talk about this the other side of the equation too, because you know, Peter Dutton and the Coalition they get blamed and they say, oh, you know, you're blaming migrants for all of the troubles and everything like that. But there's another side to this equation because if we keep holding out Australia as this destination for people to come to work and to study, you know, because we need that to bolster the GDP, to keep us out of a real recession when we're in a technical one on per capwita terms. Isn't it also really quite cruel to people too at this point when we are in a housing crisis, say hey, you know, come on in. Everything's fine, the water's fine. You know, we got plenty of room for you here in Australia. I mean, it's not just about it's not about blaming rus. It's also about giving people false hope and selling them a pup.
Speaker 15: You're absolutely right, James. It's about fairness. It's about trying to grow Australia in a sustainable way. You mentioned that we've had a migrant a minute this year. We're certainly not building a house a minute. I can tell you that, certainly, not in my neck of the woods. We are having in fact record low levels of home construction in this country, and particularly in corners of this country where we actually need a lot of home development and home growth. And if we can't as a country house these people, if we can't deliver the infrastructure that they need in order to get the jobs that they need and be able to move around the cities that they're moving to. You why, it just makes no sense that we're allowing migration to get out of hand at this level.
Speaker 1: And it's not about the migrants. We are a migrant country.
Speaker 15: We do want to we do want their contribution, but we've got to do it in a way that's responsible and that's fair to our existing residents.
Speaker 1: Well, exactly right now, I want to move on here to somebody who I know that everybody there watching this program absolutely loves when this guy's name gets mentioned. Matt Kean. He's the new climates Are or Climate Commissioner or whatever his and he may have left the New South Wales Liberal government, but he sounded every bit the politician at his first public speech as the next Climate Authority Chair yesterday, calling on the clean energy industry to quote, put your mouth where your money is. The facts, the benefits of the positive outcomes of renewable energy are warring outside, Lisa, I'll tell you this much. You know they may be roaring outside, but inside my house when we get these letters saying, hey, you know your power bills going up, your gas bills going up, your energy bills going up, and at the same time they're revving up the renewables and that's the cause of it. I'm roaring on the inside. What do we make of Matt Keane telling us this here?
Speaker 14: Well, I think you hit the nail on the head, James. He may have sounded like a politician because let's see, he doesn't actually finish his job as a politician until August, does he, So that would mean that he is still on the payroll. So perhaps, you know, and a liberal on the representing a liberal government as well. So I think there's some serious questions to be asked about that alone. But look, you're right, he's up there talking about energy, energy and this renewable dream. I sat today through the Queensland Media Club lunch and we had our Energy minister here in Queensland talking along very similar lines to Matt Kean renewables with the way of the future. There's no problem I don't think in anyone in this country who is backing renewable energies in having a voice that is being heard extremely loudly. It's people on the other end who are saying, look, we.
Speaker 3: Do need coal, we do need gas.
Speaker 14: They're the voices that are being silenced because dare you say we actually need these fossil fuels. And certainly today at the luncheon that I was at, the message was Miles government gets back in in Queensland will be a hard no to nuclear. They will push back if Peter Dutton does manage to win government, the Miles government will push back against any nuclear in this state at least and it's renewables all the way ahead here.
Speaker 1: Well, Henry, what do you make of this? It's really it's like a religious dogma. I mean, the people who are always saying, you know, follow the science. They've got the yard science saying in this house we believe in science. But at the same time, when there's something that scientificate works, who seem to be absolutely terrified of it.
Speaker 15: How comes a very good question.
Speaker 1: It's probably the great thank you r Ah.
Speaker 15: I'm confused by Matt Keane's view that if he says we're not hearing enough from the clean energy industry, I think that's all we've heard for the last ten years, and it's all our kids have been taught in their schools, and it's all really we're hear throughout the mainstream media. I just can't really understand his argument here. This has become an article of faith for a lot of people, and we don't really see a lot of evidence involved in what they put forward now, it's just statements of faith. And I think it's actually time for people to be speaking up on behalf of the energy consumers of Australia to say, hey, enough's enough, let's pursue a realistic energy policy here which has a good mix of different uses, stuff that's reliable and stuff that's affordable.
Speaker 1: Liz, let me ask you about this. We'll pick up on that point that Henry just made there. It's about sort of you know, it seems to be like where we are now with this debate. It's about being seen to be doing something rather than actually doing something. And is it sort of that renewables just have a virtuous tinge about them and that's why the politicians love it.
Speaker 3: Well, it's interesting you raise that.
Speaker 14: So I was talking to somebody ahead of an event last week and one of the questions that they were expecting to hear was for all of the people that work across the resource sector, basically, is there some sort of sense of shame or do they not want to admit that they're working in the resource sector, which right now is keeping the lights on in this studio, in the homes where they're.
Speaker 3: Watching us as well.
Speaker 14: And the point was made that one in four jobs in Queensland comes from always relies on the resource sector.
Speaker 3: Aligne.
Speaker 14: They need to go out there and proudly say that we are working in the resource sector.
Speaker 3: And let's look at the tables at all.
Speaker 14: The its functions that the politicians and the various stakeholder groups will sit around and explain to them the bottle that your wine is sitting in relies on the resource sector.
Speaker 3: The food that you're eating relies on the resource sector.
Speaker 14: Without gas, you haven't got fertilizer, you don't have a food bowl.
Speaker 3: The lights they are on the.
Speaker 14: Car that you came and the plane that you flew in. I think that very bring it back to the basics and explain to people why it's so critical. I think that's what's missing in this that's the voice that needs to be out there.
Speaker 1: And just very quickly, very quickly, only a second, your constituents, what are they saying. Are people saying that they want more renewables, that they want reliability.
Speaker 15: My constituents want reliability, but most importantly they want affordability as well, and they can see the path that's renewable taking us down. You know, they appreciate the little rebates they're getting here and there as people head towards elections, but they understand where this is going and they want a change of direction.
Speaker 1: Fair enough, very well, said Queensland LLN p MP Henry Pike, Lisa Goddard. Thank you so much for joining me here tonight on Palmary Live. Been absolute pleasure. Now don't go anywhere because after the break late debate is going to be here and I'll be back tomorrow night here with a lot more Palmurray Live and plenty of stuff more for the Milwaukee convention as well as stuff all across the nation here. Thanks so much, James Borrow here on Palmary Live. See you tomorrow night,