Speaker 1: From The Australian. Here's what's on the Front. I'm Christinamio. It's Monday, August three, twenty six. Post World War II migration to Australia was a resounding success and one nation's push for a so called monoculture is pointless. That's according to former Prime Minister John Howard, who's long advocated for a conservative approach to Australian multiculturalism. More than a third of people purchasing properties through the government's expanded First Home by Guarantee scheme would have been ineligible for the five percent deposit scheme in the past. Experts say the lack of means testing is sending the housing market haywire for buyers and renters. Those stories alive right now at the Australian dot com dot au. He was once the most powerful man in Australian broadcasting. Now, Alan Jones will defend himself in court against accusations of indecent assault and sexual touching dating back decades, allegations he strenuously denies. Today, The Australian's editorial director and regular host of The Front, Claire Harvey and media diarist Steve Jackson discussed the trial two years in the making. Plus they'll delve into the millions of dollars left on the table by newly independent broadcaster Kyle sandlans Claire and Jacko are here in just a moment, Alan Jones, once the king of talkback radio. Today walking out of a police station. Veteran broadcaster Alan Jones has been arrested.
Speaker 2: Allan Jones's world is in pieces tonight.
Speaker 1: Detectives today raiding Jones's Harveside apartment.
Speaker 3: Former broadcaster Alan Jones has been charged with indecent assault and sexual touching offenses spanning two decades.
Speaker 4: Steve Jackson edits The Australian's Media Diary and I've brought him in because it's Monday and I always talk to Jacko on a Monday if I can, but also because one of the biggest stories in media is finally about to hit.
Speaker 2: The courts today.
Speaker 4: It's the trial of former broadcaster Alan Jones in the local court in Sydney, Jacko. This is going to be a massive trial. Really too big for a local court, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: I don't think we've seen a case that has this much interest and intrigue around it, potentially since Ben Robert Smith and his defamation case. But in terms of someone in the media taking the stand to defend themselves, it's sort of unprecedented at this level. It's been two years in the making and we're finally getting to court today. Obviously, mister Jones, he's had the opportunity to try to push it back last week. His legal team said no, he wants to go to court, so he's home, got raided, he got arrested back in November twenty twenty four, two years on. He said no, enough's enough. I want to go out there and try to fight to clean my name. So he will start doing that from today.
Speaker 4: He's got some heavyweight legal representation. Gabrielle Basher sc one of the best. Yes, and of course you would get a silk if you were Alan Jones and you were appearing in court on any kind of matter. The Crowns charge Alan Jones with twenty two counts.
Speaker 3: What are they There's twenty of indecent assault and there's two of sexual touching and now these charges they over a long period of time. We're talking from two thousand and three through to twenty twenty in various locations. There's six alleged victims who are going to be called to give evidence about their interactions with Alan Jones. So it's going to take weeks to play out. Obviously, he's expected to take the stand in his defense and say, look, I did nothing wrong. It's one of those ones that look thank God for the judicial system, because there's multiple sides to every story. Obviously from his point of view is his interactions with these people was always either consensual or nonexistent in some cases potentially we'll find out in the days ahead, but he has always said from the outset, I've done nothing wrong. I'm going to fight to clear my name.
Speaker 1: I am certainly not guilty, and I'll be presenting my account to a jury.
Speaker 3: As you heard the wing, he's done that the whole way along. He's and as you say, he's got a very experienced legal team, one of the best in the country coming up to defend him. Even though it's in the local court and even though it's judge alone. So what we're going to see with that, obviously clear is because it's a judge alone, a few more used the term liberties, but a little bit more freedom taken with the way the matter is covered, because there's no fear that a jury could be swayed by the media's coverage, so all the ugly twists and turns, expect to see them coming out on a daily basis.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's an interesting part of the way trials unfold when they're in the public domain, isn't it. When there's a jury, the media are of course extremely careful and nothing is reported that's not.
Speaker 2: Been put before the jury in court while.
Speaker 4: The jury are actually present in the room, and that leaves out quite a lot of stuff that leads you to the stories after the trial where you.
Speaker 2: Can report what the jury didn't hear.
Speaker 4: Indeed, legal argument that happens when the jury is sent out of the room, and often.
Speaker 2: They are the great stories.
Speaker 4: When it's a judge alone, there's the assumption that a judge could not possibly be influenced by anything he or she reads or sees in the media.
Speaker 3: And I think that's right, because the differentiation is they understand it the technical points of law. You know, it's so technical that yeah, like reading the tawdry accounts in some of the tabloid press will not sway them. I do think that is right.
Speaker 4: They can't be influenced, and that then gives editors and journalists a little bit more liberty, as you say, in the way they cover it. So there will be comment pieces, there'll be color, there'll be analysis going on from journalists that will be an intriguing part of this matter.
Speaker 3: Well, I think also no matter what happens from here, and some of the more serious charges have been dropped already, and what I've been told from the prosecutor's side, they haven't told me, but what I've been told from that side is they've wanted to reduce the riskier charges and prine it back to the ones that are they're the safest because they're really going for a conviction, so they want to remove anything that they think even has an element of doubt. So they've brought it back to the easiest charges to prove Alan Jones' team obviously confident they can well they don't have to disprove them, but they're confident they can show that he's not guilty of those offenses. But even with the more serious charges reduced, what we're going to see is Alan Jones is going to be embarrassed. No matter what happens from here. We're going to hear about his interactions with these men. The fact that he hasn't taken a plea deal is quite interesting because we know that for him it will be embarrassing. These allegations will be aired with all the tawdry details that come with them, and so no matter what happens from here, it is going to have an influence on how people see him.
Speaker 4: Yes, I mean his stances obviously are innocent and it's up to the Crown to see if I can prove otherwise. He is a very wealthy man. He made a huge amount of money during his career as a broadcaster, and he was already relatively successful before that. He was the coach of the Wallabies.
Speaker 3: We've been given today something really special.
Speaker 2: It's an opportunity, an opportunity to become a headline or a footnote in the history of rugby.
Speaker 4: Alan Jones has only been off the radio for a few years, but it's sort of interesting to remember how influential he was. He was incredibly wealthy, wasn't he, jack Well.
Speaker 3: One of the highest paid broadcasters in the history of Australian media, and for a long period of time he was so influential. He was such a dominant force in the ratings that he commanded a really high salary and you know, personal sponsorships, et cetera. As this court battle plays out on Monday, I hear that there is a second potential front that's about to open up for him. So all this exposure focus on Alan Jones has had the ATO, I hear from my sources in there having a look at him again and going over their books. Now there's no suggestion of any wrongdoing, but he's in the limelight. The ATO is going, hey, let's just have a second look at it. I think he will find at some point in the coming weeks he is going to have a second battlefront open up, and the ATO is going to start asking him questions as well. So again, no suggestion of any wrongdoing. It's just one of those things that when people are in the limelight, everyone starts scratching and oh, let's have a look as well. So from what I'm hearing, ATO just going over his books and his last few tax returns to see if everything's ridgie did it probably is? Probably, But it's just one of those things with the stress of a cookcase light this where you know that these allegations are going to be aired about you, and look, you know anyone accused of these matters. That is super stressful. He's now going to have to worry about also his personal finances being potentially questioned.
Speaker 4: It's August now, which means there's only a few sleeps. The countdown is on to Kyle Sandaland's life.
Speaker 3: I thought you were going to talk about Christmas, so start doing the shopping already.
Speaker 4: Yet the radio show that's not really going to be a radio show. It's going to be on Kyle's app every morning from August ten. I'm such a super fan that I've already been watching Pull Sandalans Live, the documentary he's made and released on his app.
Speaker 1: I think it's finally time to let everyone know what actually really happened.
Speaker 4: And while I've had the app on my phone, JACKO, I've noticed that there's a kind of a chat function, so I get these alerts often late at night from people like Gronk saying something about Kyle.
Speaker 2: It's quite odd.
Speaker 4: I feel like I've stepped into Kyle's world. Are you looking forward to the show?
Speaker 3: Look? I like Kyle. I always have. In my twenties, I listened to Kyle and Jackie O. That was the station I listened to. I loved the banter.
Speaker 4: Really the formative years of s.
Speaker 2: Jackson.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, look, you know, and that's where all my bad puns and toilet humor come from. But I've probably graduated into nowadays. I listened to Ben Fordham a little bit more often.
Speaker 4: Because you're very sophisticated, urbane gentleman.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, and I feel like I've grown out of it a little bit.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: It's one of those things. As you start paying more taxes, you're really interested in how that money's being spent, whether or not it's being spent on inappropriate jokes about Gina Reinhart, for example. And I'm finding myself getting more outraged by that, and so I've sort of not as much of a listener now. He is without a doubt of talent. The thing that amazes me is the launch of Kyle Sandland's show could not be any starker from Karl Stefanovic. So carls of this, you know, sort of bumbling around knocking into things production, whereas Kylie's got like team mugs and team shirts and team photos, and he's got a platform that you've got to subscribe to. Somehow He's commenced the editorial director of The Australian to part with one hundred dollars to watch his content. So he's got a really great strategy. He also has a big payout from arn behind him to help fund this massive, like really professional setup. Unfortunately for Kyle, I also know that he could have had even more funds to set this up, because as people will read in the Diary today, he left a whole heap of money on the table.
Speaker 4: He said in his behind the scenes documentary, and he also said this in an interview with Lisa Mayo in The Daily Telegraph a weekend ago, that he decided not to fight too hard because he didn't want to go through the grief basically of putting his family through the uncertainty of a drawn out legal battle. That is something that Jackie I was persisting with. She's certainly having a drawn out legal battle. But Kyle kind of made a virtue of not having got all the money. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think he's done the sensible thing right, Like he wants to be back on air. He doesn't want to spend two years fighting his former employer in court and them saying he's a nasty man who picked on his co host doesn't want that, doesn't need it. He wants to get on. He's clearly, as I say, to convince so many people to subscribe already. He's a very smart, sophisticated operator, he said, in those stories you're talking about, we accentuate elements of our personality. What you hear on the radio is Kyle up to eleven out of ten, you know. So he's done a very sensible thing and take a small one out. What I have heard from my sources within ARN is that they had budgeted thirty five million dollars for a payout. That's how much they were prepared to pay him. He has I.
Speaker 4: Don't think they have thirty five million dollars just quietly down the.
Speaker 3: Back of the couch. They're going to pass the hat around. Can everyone chip in? But that's what they were budgeting, and I think from Kyle's legal team they hoping for at least forty He's negotiated behind all the legal legals backs his own deal with Aaran's former CEO Kiaran Davis for twelve million and some contra advertising. And for him it's weird. He's left potentially twenty million dollars on the table, but he wants a plan moving forward. It's interesting, like, if that had consumed his life for two years, what do you think, given he wants to cure in the media, is that the right call.
Speaker 4: He would have spent five million on legal fees during that time, and if he'd lost, he would have ended up having to pay Arn's legal costs as well.
Speaker 2: This is the Prince Harry nightmare.
Speaker 4: Yeah, where you end up in a really potentially awful situation.
Speaker 2: Kyle talks a lot.
Speaker 4: About having been a homeless kid, and I think that has shaped him, that scarcity and fear of not having an income. I mean, he's also of the generation like you and I who entered the workforce when we had ten percent unemployment, when there was a recession that we had to have.
Speaker 3: And so these are the good old days boy talking about.
Speaker 4: But it has created I think a mentality in this generation of young gen x's or elder millennials, whatever you want to call us, that we want jobs. We want to be employed, and an ongoing source of income, even if you are actually the employer, which he is, is better than a lump of cash in the hand because that can get fritted away really quickly.
Speaker 3: And also I think had he gone to court, the damage to his reputation would have probably meant there's a chance that he may never have recovered from that, because, as we're talking about with Alan Jones, no matter what the outcome is, some of that you know, what seeks the tars sticks or what is.
Speaker 4: It like a tar baby is something that you touch that you just can't let go of, you know.
Speaker 2: It's one of the rare rabbit stories, all right, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: And also you become a nobody very quickly in media. The stress of being the employer. That's something I admire in Kyle. He has spoken about feeling the responsibility to employ all the people who had been hunted by arn because he really was responsible and employed them all straight away. That also gave a sense of urgency. He had a wages bill.
Speaker 2: To meet every week. He couldn't let that cootcase drag on.
Speaker 3: It's one of the interesting things about Kyle, and I think a lot of people think, you know, buff head, buffoonery, toilet humor, talking about very explicit content some of the times, but he is such a mature guy and the level of responsibility he's taken so from that team folty. You can see he's employed like more than half a dozen people because he feels this and people people who know Kyle always say, you know, he has a team view, even though he's Kyle. It's us versus them, it's us, it's the team project. And the fact that he hasn't just gone all right, I've lost my job and I've lost my income. All right, you guys were all out for ourselves. Now he has made a deal. Probably part of his reasoning to get this twelve million rather than fight for an extra twenty over two years, is he's not just going all right, I've got my twelve million. I'm going to use that on my mortgage and make sure I'm set. He's used that to employ a whole host of people that he feels a loyalty to. It is very rare in media to see someone who takes that responsibility seriously, and I think it speaks volumes to his character to an extent that I don't think a lot of people were aware of just how loyal this guy is and how when you're in the trenches with Kyle, he's got your back, right, He's got your back, and he's got your bank account.
Speaker 4: Well, I'll be expecting you to continue paying my wage if we ever get.
Speaker 3: Punted, Jack all right, we'll find out next week. Thanks Jack, all right, thank you.
Speaker 1: Steve Jackson is The Australian's Media Diary editor and Claire Harvey is editorial director and the regular host of the Front. For all the latest from around the media, visit the Australian dot com dot au