Speaker 1: I'll get a team. Welcome to another installing the new project. It's Jumbo, It's Craig Anthey, Harper, Joshua and Leonardo. It's friend of mine. He's arguably Australia's best ever FBB pro bodybuilder, father of two, husband of Liz Man about town. There's been a few peaks and troughs in his journey over the last few years, and we hit abyak again.
Speaker 2: Hi, mate, mate, Jumbo brain is Jumbo is the evolution of you.
Speaker 1: I don't know about.
Speaker 2: Being called smart, but how about the smartest person in your in your body? How does that sound? Can you take that? Will you accept that?
Speaker 1: Do you know? Sometimes I think I don't really think I'm smart. I think I'm good at optimizing what I have. I think I'm good at getting the most out of what i have to work with. If that's a kind of smart, then I'll take it.
Speaker 2: How about you just have about work ethic like an almost like a machine. How about that? How about how I have that discipline and dedicate and that stuff that's like top shelf, your top shelf.
Speaker 1: Yeah, pumping up my tires in the first minute.
Speaker 2: You know, why do we get you everywhere? Mate? You'll be buying me dinnercent Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean here's the thing, right, you can't you can't choose your IQ, you can't choose your genetics. You can't you can't change the hours in a day, blah blah. But you can figure out what you're going to do with all that stuff, you know. Like, I've coached lots of people who I would think inherently have a higher IQ than me and probably more natural talent and potential, but the other stuff they don't. They just don't have it. Some do, like a lot do, but some don't. And it's I mean, I've seen the same thing. You might have seen it in the gym too. In the gym, I've seen it with people with fucking amazing genetics who just don't want to get uncomfortable consistently. They love the idea of, you know, high performance, but they don't want to do the work to create high performance. Same in corporate, Same in working with you know, elite athletes in the sporting arena. You know, there's what we've got to work with and then there's what we do with what we've got to work with. They're two different things.
Speaker 2: Right, Massively potential potential scene all the time. It's just and it's wasted so much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so much. Yeah. Do you think how much of your potential genetically when you were competing? Do you reckon you got? If ten out of ten is human optimization to the limit, Like you couldn't get any more out of you, what do you reckon? You got out of you on stage?
Speaker 2: Probably about a six, really six or seven. Yeah. I was taking my time enjoying my life, and I thought I had a lot longer before it got cut short. So I was kind of like, in a way, trying to invest in the people that I I love and not trying to make it too obsessed, which is sounds weird for bodybuilding because it's a really obsessive lifestyle. But I was at the same time still trying to enjoy what I could. And it don't get me wrong, when I needed to be disciplined, I was extremely disciplined. But I thought I still had another five or ten years within bodybuilding before I had this tumor. That's part of the family that cut me cut things short, which is yeah, cause a lot of problems ever since from the surgeries.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll open the door, We'll open the meta door on that. But like that, I want to just zoom out of the micro of that and back to the macro of bodybuilding as a sport. So I grew up not like well kind of. I mean I was always around. I was a bodybuilder, just not a competitive bodybuilder. I was just like your weekend warrior, right. I was like you, Yeah, your bloke that plays suburban footy? That was I was the equivalent of that.
Speaker 2: Would you walk past it? Could you walk past a reflection of a window? And no, I can look at yourself.
Speaker 1: No, I was too. I was fucking enamored with myself. I thought I was shit hot. I wasn't, but I thought I was. Now that's not true. I actually thought I was terrible. But but I really tried to you.
Speaker 2: Wanted to make sure you were a bit better than before, make sure every day was better than yesterday.
Speaker 1: I still angle on the left side if I'm getting a photo taken.
Speaker 2: And I saw a photo of you in a suit yesterday?
Speaker 1: Did you that?
Speaker 2: I was amazed?
Speaker 1: Oh that's right, that's I showed you that. I'm like, yeah, that was that one time when I wore a suit. But like, like, you're quite a deep philosophical person and me too in some ways. But did it ever dawn on you how bad it is, potentially bad it is for people's self esteem, self worth and all of that when especially, you know, these days we talk about you know, you're much more than a body, and you know, it's like people's you know, body dysmorphea and body image and all the judgment and stuff that happens with how people look, and it shouldn't be like that. And then literally there's a sport where you stand on stage in pretty much nothing and you you literally judged, not figuratively, like you're literally judged. And if there's ten people on stage, one of those people is going to be the worst in inverted commas, one's going to be the best in inverted commas. It's it's a pretty tough like. It's kind of like mma. I love it and hate it. I love the sport, but I hate the potential damage that comes with people getting punched in the head. And I love bodybuilding, but I hate the potential damage which might come to some people's self esteem and emotional and mental health with standing up on stage in you know, no clothes being judged. Do you ever think about that.
Speaker 2: And it's basically body shaming and people pay to do it. Yeah, it's weird when you think of it like that, right.
Speaker 1: Isn't it. It's like where you're going.
Speaker 2: To stand if people did that in the news, the news.
Speaker 1: We're totally you know, you shouldn't judge anyone on how they look. Oh, there's a sport that does that, Like it's it's a global sport.
Speaker 2: And it's getting bigger and bigger and bigger, isn't it.
Speaker 1: What do you think? I mean, like the evolution of bodybuilding since I kind of first plugged in in the seventies and eighties and watching Arnold and all the old you know, Lou Farino and Robbie Robinson and Surge and new Bray and Serge Olimpia, Serge Olivia and all those old timers who were just fucking old guys on Diana Boll and Decker just getting on stage with their twenty times right, grobing it to them ten to twelve. Who was prescribing it?
Speaker 2: The doctors were there's no problems.
Speaker 1: That's that's hilarious. I don't know if that was a healthier version, it kind of seems more wholesome. I don't know, maybe that's just like illusion. But these days bodybuilding in inverted commas, it's it's a myriad of things. You know, it's bikinis, it's figures, it's body shaping, it's the what's the guy's version like that bosique?
Speaker 2: Yeah, with a broad shorts physique. That's evolved and now it's there massive. It used to look like a board, like a beach body. Now it's huge, massive, broad shots, deltz abs huge. You would not look like that just growing up and being a farm boy with players and thrown hay bales out you did. You would not walk down the beach looking like that. No way.
Speaker 1: And it seems like there are more and more people like I thought. I thought, you know, there was a time maybe twenty years where it was just going to kind of fall away, because it did kind of stumble for a while there. It felt like bodybuilding was, you know, I don't know, getting less attention and less popularity. But it seems like there's over the last decade really that's turned around and there's a massive uptake and up surge in you know, people wanting to get on stage and do that.
Speaker 2: I think everything's into wine. So of course people want to look a bit healthier or want maybe to lose some body fat, so they're right that in their Google and then they'll filter into their Instagram or their Facebook, and then that'll pop up in their algorithm and social media feed will pop up, and then they might click on it and that'll pop up more and and that'll just start to embed into the subconscious and then that'll pop up more and there you go. And it's and especially within the kids, it's it's mammoth. So yeah, it's not it's not good. It's taken over so much.
Speaker 1: Sorry. It is interesting because at the same time, got a whole lot of people going, don't judge us on how we look, and then at the same time a bunch of people going, please judge, judge me, like, because that's what body. You know, you get on stage and literally the judge's job is to judge your body.
Speaker 2: It's a difficult experience to judge other people. Yes, because of course you want.
Speaker 1: Did you feel a bit conflicted when you were doing.
Speaker 2: That, Yeah, because you want more, more time, and you want more. You want to place everyone as evenly as possible in the right spot, So you want to make sure you have enough time to do that correctly as well, and it's yeah, it's definitely there's definitely a challenge to do that because of course, like they say in bodybuilding, apples and oranges, you know, you what you prefer is different than what I might prefer, as someone's shoulders to look a particular way someone else like a particular way. So it's that's also the confusing part within bodybuilding. You're getting ahead of if you, for example, if you get got ahead of six judges in Victoria, you might get a of six different judges in Queensland and they might have different opinions with what a body should look like. So that's also that's another element of difference, even though there's some guidelines and then so that's I just tell people that just be your best and make yourself happy with what you look like.
Speaker 1: And I guess one of the differences between bodybuilding and a lot of other I mean, some people would argue that it's a sport or a hobby or a pastime or but let's go with sport, is that it's not an objective measurement. It's like a subjective interpretation. It's like literally a judge sitting in a chair ten feet off stage looking at a body and then scoring that through their eyes and there, like like you said, through their perception, and then the person next to them. You know, there might be ten let's say ladies on stage, and one judge places a particular lady first, and the guy girl next door places them forth, and they're looking at the same thing on the same day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, spot on exactly. Well, they imagine this. They all have they looking image if they're all clions, but one has brown hair and one has blonde hair, and that's their preference, so that's where they place. But then they go home not placing well and feel disappointed and upset that they've given up so much for so long and dieted and sacrificed, and then it didn't place where they wanted to. And then they have then this bad self image because they thought, oh, you know, didn't get what I wanted. So, yes, can have some really high highs this sport, and if you want to call it a sport into really low lows. Definitely.
Speaker 1: I told you before we started. I just had a super long chat with Trevor Hendy and we were talking about this. The former world champion and Australian Champion, iron.
Speaker 2: Man and Amazing Athlete.
Speaker 1: Order of Australia dude, and all that. Like, yeah, this challenge of being really good at something and receiving praise and accolades and recogniz and you know, all of this positivity through you know, in your case perhaps looking like a freaking being Australia's best bodybuilder or in his case being the best you know, surf life saver in the world or iron man in the world, and then trying to in the middle of that be normal whatever that means, like to be grounded, to not to not lose yourself, to not lose your identity in all of the emotion and bullshit and ego that can come with that stuff. That's that's like got to be a challenge.
Speaker 2: I guess yeah. I think being married to my wife's family's tongan is very easy. When you're considered a monster and then you're among all these big islanders is very humbly really, that was very easy for me.
Speaker 1: Are they all big units?
Speaker 2: There's there's a big units, there's a big units. But I do get what you mean in reference to that, for sure. So yeah, it's but you've always been I mean, that was the one thing initially I think you need is a great team around you, and that's You've been a real pivotal part of that hups. So you know, having people that know that, because man, you can get so wrapped up in just the body and make it just be everything and it's not. It's like, there's just so much more to life than that. And you try, you have a conversation with people were just only talking about bodybuilding. It's such a difficult. You just want to escape that conversation. You know, it's so much more to life.
Speaker 1: Do you know what? To me is a little bit sad. And this is very specific and probably ninety a percent of our audience might not relate to this, so I apologize to you. But and you know this, and I know this, like especially dudes, old dudes who have been bodybuilding forever and they still get their entire sense of self from their body. And they're like now in their fifties and maybe beyond. And I'm like, you know, and it's good to be in shape at fifty or sixty or beyond, of course, but you know, they're still doing heaps of gear, they're still red in the face, they're still fucking wearing the tight T shirts at the shows, and I'm like, oh, come on, bro, you just there's more to you than that. There's more to life than that, you know, And that sounds judging and I don't mean it too, because I was fucking doing the exact same thing for you know. Thankfully I got over that when I was reasonably young. But yeah, it's it happens, don't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, Yeah, it's an interesting field mate. You talk kill day about that, all right.
Speaker 1: So for people who don't don't know you, I just want to tell just a quick because the bodybuilding is not the story at the moment. I just want to see how you're traveling. So you were Australia's premiere elite pro bodybuilder for quite a while. You won pro shows, You competed in the Mister Olympia two or three.
Speaker 2: Times twice, competer twice at the mist.
Speaker 1: Placed in the top ten twice, which is an amazing effort.
Speaker 2: And there's another Arnold Classic is the other one major one with Arnold Swartznigger runs that was kind of competing with the with the Olympia. I got third in that once, which was that was big highlight my debut. That was one of my own career highlights.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, very thankful you won? Did you win? Did you win? Four? Are you won? Four? Yeah?
Speaker 2: One?
Speaker 1: Four?
Speaker 2: Sorry something POPI up there?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: One four?
Speaker 1: I did not know that.
Speaker 2: That is amazing. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Is any other Is any other Australian one or pro shows?
Speaker 2: No? No, I look at you blush. You make me blush.
Speaker 1: Here we go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now now you're pumping my ties up. Here we go.
Speaker 1: So tell everybody what happened, and just not I mean as short as you want and just because I want to. One of the things I like to do on the show is talk to people when life's going great, but also when life's not going great, because the you know, for quite a while there everything was going amazing for you and then the metaphoric shit hit the fan. And so today is really just checking in to see where you're at and to let people know where you're up to. I get asked a lot about you. Do you see Josh? Do you see Josh? What's Josh up to? Is he training? Is he going to compete? I get asked a lot because people know where friends, So give people the snapshot of what happened. If you would.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, where I'd be very quiet on social media, I was very active on that and I'd love to give and try and encourage. And then what I guess, feeling like you're not living in alignment with you are as a person, it's very hard to give. And that's something I've had to kind of wrap my head around recent more reth especially more recently. But I've one thing I really I don't tell a lot of people, and I'll be open with it now is I've got epilepsy. So one thing I had which took me out of the last Olympia, which I was qualified for was a tumor in the skull, which is a rare place to have it, and then I'd had complications after the surgery, so it was a non It was a tumor that's in my family. And then my brother who wasn't a competitor, had one when he was eighteen, and might had one and the skull in a more kind of serious spot, I guess you could say, and it just, yeah, there was complications from the surgery and then it didn't I guess it didn't heal correctly or something for whatever reason. And then I had a second surgery, and then I had more sieges after that, so tried to get back and compete, which was ridiculous, but I kind of with that pro mindset, I tried to compartmentalize and put that pain aside, and then even though the seizes was a possibility, I kind of pushed that aside, which was maybe idiotic, but I did that because also I had then a child with my wife, and the providing instincts were there and needed that to happen and keep sponsors happy. That didn't go well. COVID hit more seezes happened, more pain, a lot more pain, and then trying to just get through that and survive really was my thing. Went from thriving to surviving from you know, going and being troubled around the world and being flown and doing seminars and you know, being a guest appearance at places, to then just locked in a room trying to just yeah, stay alive in a way.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It's some bad times. So and then yeah, more recently just some yes, more more setious. But I had the last time we spoke, I was preparing there was a contest called the Master's Olympia, and it was going to be you know, Masters is over forties, but it was still going to be with bodybuilding, It's something that takes time, of course and muscle maturity. So even though being over four years, still go and compete, Still go and compete in the open the main class. So it was just going to be kind of an entry back into competing again. And it was just I was still living in pain and training and the fear of having a seizure and things. So the last time we spoke, it was I was going to go over to Dubai, train there and prep there and even just trying to see some different specialists there in hopes that maybe something could help and then compete and then maybe my career would get back on track from a professional perspective. And then even before heading over there, I got scammed. So I paid for the room with Stays this app, and then you know, you communicate with the host and everything was set. Everything was there the day of lead of leaving, with flying through corners and stuff, and then it was like, sorry, can't fulfill your obligations. They haven't paid me with the Stays app. So then I'm on the phone. You know, bags are packed, everything's ready to go and They're like, no, they've paid in the money, etc. It was just like this big storm and I'm like, well, I'm not flying to the Middle East and landing in the heat with nowhere to stay and trying to figure something out. And it was just and then they wouldn't give me the money back, and then it was just this big It was paid for months and months at a time. It was just this, Okay, this is odd and you know, stressful circumstance. But and then I prepped, he stayed here, prepped here for it, and it was just bad anyway because of my pain, Like as soon as I started really pushing myself, and as soon as I got to a certain level of strength because we trained quite heavy for the to develop muscle, it would just there was only a certain point I could go before the pain was just stagonizing. So I knew something was up anyway. And then the fear of having a seizure was always there, so go ahead.
Speaker 1: And with the pain head pain, like like like super duper acute headache, migraine.
Speaker 2: Massive, yeah, massive, I could be like train trying like having and I was living off you normally eat food much more nourishing. I was living off shape, which is not the right way to get ready for a show and be in pain. Like I get up trying to an hour on the stairs in agony, come home, have a shake, ice pack on my head, back in bed, kind of get up, have a shake, or try and eat some fish or something light or blend something. So it's just trying to make it, make it there. And yeah, but it was kind of the more that thing was kind of the the providing factor was that was part of my mindset and which wasn't which isn't a you know, the providing factor is great, but the financial driving factor isn't a great motivational factor. You know, it's because there's many ways to make money, and that's in pain is not a great you know, you.
Speaker 1: Weren't getting on stage because you're excited to get on stage, exactly age because you thought, this is the way that I can potentially make reasonable dough, and I need to make dough because I've got a wife and two it's in a family and responsibilities, and this is not what I want to do, but maybe what I need to do to create an outcome that I want.
Speaker 2: That's one hundred percent correct. So it was, and it was something that I reflect back and go the best way to look at future behavior, look at past behavior. This worked in the past, this could work in the future. And then you know, that was just a really grueling, horrible prep just with suffering and pain and and even though I shouldn't. And then you listen to people when you talk to me, and they're just, no, it's just another test, you know, It's just it's just a test, you know, to see how how bad you want it. And I'm kind of I don't think this is I think this is just yeah, you know, listen to your almost listening to yourself in a way. And then almost to the point where okay, and then so I'm trying to get to go The comp was in this place called Clues in Romania, and I'm trying to get my wife and the kids to come, and she's like it's going to be agony, like trying to travel with this be screaming and kid and I'm like, ah, you know that I've never competed without my wife being there. So I end up I go, Okay, I'm going to book the last flight there, and then I'm going to leave the first flight after the show, and which is the worst thing to do as a body. But when you get rid of you got to get there early, you got to get rid of the water, you got to do all this stuff. So I get there late, make this just to just to make this athletes meeting, which is compulsory, and I do the contest. As soon as I walk out on stage, I just hated it. You do this first walkout on your own, not even in comparisons in groups, and I just as soon as I walked out, I just hated it, Like the lights, everything. I just felt like I was going to have a seat, like almost like I was going to have a seize her. And I'm like, what am I doing? And I was I wasn't going to win anyway, Like it was. The people that deserve to win, definitely deserve to win. Hats off to them, well done for me. Just with my I was just like, I'm just not enjoying this. This is wrong. Why did I do this for? You know? This isn't good. And then I'm not not enjoying it. You know, normally I'd enjoy performing and I've done all this hard work and instead of training and getting those open me in doorphins, it was just you train, it'd be pain. You train, it'd be pain. It'd be like there was no uplifting aspects of this prep that well would even though it was a painful experience. Normally the contest preps are there was still an element of enjoyment out of it that you could reflect on. There wasn't that within this prep at all. And I wasn't going to get on social media and be like, you know, having another hard day, guys, Hey, guys doing it? Look at me, Look how good I am? Well, look how much I'm pushing. It wasn't that. It was and exactly like I said, I was doing it to try and make a living for my kids and stuff. Right, So so then I get that they do the call outs, and then what happens in bodybuilding, They maybe like twenty competitors, right, but only the top ten come back for the night show to do a square opposing routine. It's like a choreographed routine for entertainment for the crowd. And I knew by the way the call outs were that I was going to be within that top ten and I was hating it. So as soon as they did they were doing the callouts, I just walked off the stage like I knew I was in the top ten, called my wife and they were calling Josh Josh, and my wife's home watching it live and she's like get back on stage. And I'm like no, and she's like, you need to get back on stage now, like will our son's watching it. I'm like, no, I'm done. She's just like you need to get on stage, like you need to finish what you said. I'm like I'm finished, Like I'm done. That's it for me, Like I'm I'm done. I'm in pain, I'm in agony, this is this is great. I'm done. So I was over the other side of the world without doing something for my family, without my family there, and it was just like the almost like a place like rock bottom when you hit where you hit that feeling. And I was just got home to the hotel. I'm just sitting there waiting because it was the flight was first thing in the morning, so I'm just up all night waiting for the flight. As soon as it hits time to go to the airport, go to the airport, go to check my bags, and they're like, you've missed the bag checking. You can't get the flight and I'm like, no way, I don't care about my bags. I'm leaving my bags. You can't do that. That's illegal to do it an airport. I was just like, I ain't okay, I'll get the next flight. I'll get the next one. You can't because you booked it as one flight. It was just like this language barrier as well, and I'm like, when's the next one you can get me? It's like two days later. I was like, ah, given me. It was just one of those deep thinking like what am I doing? Like what is going on here? And yeah, it was just one of those times where it was like need to really figure out what's going on here? Like what's why am I still in pain? Why am I still having these sages? And then what am I?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What was I? What was I? What was I thinking doing this show?
Speaker 1: It's like Trevor Hendy and I spoke before and we were talking. He was talking about not to the same level of despair and pain that you were in, but he was talking about like he had like he went through this period. I don't want to fuck up the show in case people haven't heard it, but where he was going through some shit and it's like He calls it the gift that came out of the darkness, like this ship that he was in the middle of, which you're kind of still in the middle of. And we're going to talk about that in a minute. But you know, just dealing with dealing with really hard stuff that you can't like. You and I have chatted a little bit lately, and I'm not throwing you under the bus, I don't think, because we're just being honest and real. And hopefully next time we chat it's going to be a lot of more great stuff going on. But like right now, there's you know, fucking struggle town with you know, trying to figure out medically what's going on with you and seizures and pain and and you know, but trying to try. You know, it's like when people you were saying before, people like, oh, you'll be right, it's just tough it out and all that, Like that's not wisdom, that's just wishful thinking. You know, there is a time when your body is going, no, this is not just about being tough. This is about if you keep doing this the way that you're doing it, you might kill yourself or fuck yourself up medically forever and so I'm really glad that you paid attention, but you know, it is difficult and this I had this chat with Carlie and Brad whose business, the Fit Shop, burned to the ground a few weeks ago now, and we're doing a fundraiser for them, and if you feel like coming along, everybody, just please come and support them. It's in a couple of weeks. I think it's fuck. I should know it's June second or something I shouldn't know off the top of my head. But but you know, I mean, I think the beauty of having a show like this and a platform like this is to get people on who sometimes like you. Right now, mate, it's okay to go. Look, I'm not being negative when I say things suck right now. You know that that's not you being a silk. That's not you looking for attention. Because I think there's a real propensity when people get on podcasts or shows to kind of be all about, oh, yeah, this happened, and this was the lesson and this was yeah, that's that's cool, and here's seven key insights, and here's five strategies to do this and that. But sometimes too, like in the moment, like the practical reality is that physically, mentally, emotionally, financially sometimes it sucks. And so for you right now, So still lots of pain, am I correct? And still like a fair bit of unknown in terms of the medical stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, and just wanting to be you know, wanting to make sure everything's okay for family.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've thought with all that stuff from the past, you know, but it's you know how hard it is you lift weights. It's it's tough at times when you push yourself right, it's pain and it's stuff. And I'm like done that for a long time, and i feel like, you know, I've suffered and there's pain and I can it's it's difficult obviously the pain, but I'm like, I get more worried about my wife and the kids and stuff. So I'm like, I want to make sure you know that they're okay, and I want to make sure that everything's okay for them. So I'm like, it's, you know, I've always been very I come from, you know, a medical family, Like I want to make sure I've always been very strict with my medical health and it's and if I wasn't, I wouldn't have never found this tumor. You know, I was always trying to you know, I did. I was, you know, a natural world champion before I ever switched over to do this, you know, competing in the I F B and the Mysterill Impure and you go down that route later on in my career. It was like, so it was now, you know, going back and doing this to try and get back into competing. I made sure everything was you know, okay from that aspect. I just didn't realize, you know, when I did dehydrate before this contest, that I would feel that way. They getting on stage, it was like, okay, this is yeah, this isn't where I want to be. And you know, if they can figure out what's going on with these sieges, it seems like it's it's just strange that they're happening.
Speaker 1: Well, we're going to stay in touch with you. Look. The good news every one is this his brain still works well enough that he can coach people, you know, I mean, I mean, this was just a ruse to not really but I mean the great thing is that you know, and I do I do want to give Joshah blatant plug because I do want to you know, he's one of my friends, and I love him and I want to support him. But you know, he's just opened the door, not just but he's opened the door on doing some work training people. And by the way, not necessarily, in fact preferably in some ways, not elite athletes, not elite bodybuilders, just people who want to train, people who want to get in shape, and people who want somebody who really understands training and understands optimizing genetic potential. And so if people want to a program written by you and some kind of ongoing coaching, mate, where they can connect with you. You don't need to live in Melbourne, which is where Josh lives. You can live. In fact, you can live anywhere in the world. And that's the beauty of I guess technology these days is you can have a coach, a mentor, or a teacher. Somebody is going to help you through that process that doesn't need to live around the corner. So anyone can be coached by you and mentored by you in that space. Mate, Is that right? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Mate, Well that's what I noticed when I was overseas, like, this isn't my time to be back competing, It's my time to be giving back, And that was my kind of epiphany. It was, Okay, I've gone through It's not why is this happening to me? It's what do I need to learn from this experience? It was okay, well, obviously was able to toughen out all these adversities and trials and struggles that life's thrown at me, and they still keep getting up and still keep putting the work and then doing what I need to do. So how can I then help others when they're going through something that you know, may not be as severe but still be quite difficult for their lifestyle, And how can I then invest in them and help them? So it was that was where I'm now. I just turned to well, I've got such a vast amount of knowledge with what I was able to accomplish to then pass that on to to other people. So if anyone wants to do that, it's through my other main Instagram, which is my name will be in this Josh Lenadowitz, So just send me a DM or Facebook, and then Josh Lenadowitz dot com is the website as well.
Speaker 1: And again stuck, if you get stuck and you can't find him, send me an email just through my website and I'll put you together. And I think also important to point out that you know, you're happy to help people who want to get on stage, but that's you know, you happy to really help anyone who wants to even beginners who want to get underway and start weight training. Maybe people who've never lifted a weight but just need somebody with vast knowledge to kind of keep an eye on them and give them a little bit of a guide. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And I think with me, I think I've done so many different diets and plans and stuff around. I've done so many things right and now with what you said, they're still trying to figure things out. And we know that, you know, with nutrition, it's kind of everything. So you've will be a fan bit of a fan of Jordan Peterson, I assume, and they've gone through just that Carnival diet, and I'm like, well, I think maybe it's time for me to give that a bit of a crack. So I've been on here a handful of times. I love you. Maybe we use this as a bit of a platform to say, well, let's do me to turn into the Carnival man, to try that out for a bit and see how that affects me with getting rid of these seizes in this pain and me go onto that and a bit of an update letter.
Speaker 1: Have you started that or are you going to?
Speaker 2: Let's do it. I'll start now thinking about that after we spoke last night. Well let's when we do this podcast. Let's make that the d day.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, all right, so good. So let's all right, So are you going to start that now?
Speaker 2: Just meet mate, I'll give it a.
Speaker 1: Crack wow wow, all right, so happy.
Speaker 2: And if it's my discipline, mate, I should be able to do it if I can get through those the rest of the stuff I've gone through. If I can't do it, how can I be a coach and tell people to die and need healthy.
Speaker 1: By the way, everyone, that's not a personal recommendation that you become a carnival Ony diet.
Speaker 2: But it isn't. But if someone's struggling with keto is meant to be a great thing for epilepsy. Yet they get very concerned about people's cholesterol and that they put people on statins and seize your medication, whereas Carnival's kind of a bit more of a newer thing for people. So I'm not recommending people do that whatsoever. I'm saying for someone like me who's in the rare instance, who's been a profession nobody will who's had a cranyotomy and had a tumor in the head and had seizures and had all these things. It's yeah, try something a little bit different, especially when he's got his wife and kids to fight for. That's a great motivational tool.
Speaker 1: All right. So I'm looking in my phone. So tomorrow is the twenty third of May.
Speaker 2: So when do you want to have me on next mante so that this is let's do.
Speaker 1: So let's say you start tomorrow on the twenty third, So one week, two week, the four weeks is four weeks is the twentieth of June. So I'm going to write down June twenty, June twenty, June twenty. We're going to get you back on on June twenty, which means you will it'll be your twenty eighth day, and we're just going to talk about how you've gone on four weeks of me ONLYZ. That's that's an interesting N equals one study. We're always talking about that here. And Josh is the researcher and he is the subject so all right mate, well we mate love you too.
Speaker 2: Buddy, and said sorry for complaining any one other story was a little bit not.
Speaker 1: Complaining, not complaining. We're just having a chat and you're going through a ship time and that's it. Not everything struggle, Not everything needs to be. You know, life is peaks and troughs, and sometimes you know, it's like loving someone, caring about someone, wanting to support someone. Sometimes it's the troughs where we really need to work. You know. It's like I, when your life's going great, I'm happy to just get the fuck out of the road as your friend. I don't need to talk to you on a daily basis or weekly basis and and fucking pump up your tires. But you know, you and I have connected, Like the most times where we've connected deeply is often when things have gone a bit shit for you. And that's that's not because you only reach out to me when you need something, but that's when I feel like, hopefully I can be of value to you and help you and support you. And that's to me, that's like I feel. And I know that you're grateful, but you don't need to be. But for me, I feel like I have an ability to be able to help people in that way. So I think I need to use that, you know. And I think having conversations like this when things are not great, albeit not that common, that everyone wants to get on a podcast and be all love and light and unicorns and positivity. And I understand that because that gets bums on seats, But also that's not reflective of life, because sometimes life's a fuckfest of pain and bullshit, and you know, that's where we're at, and it's okay, it's okay to go, Look, today is a bit shit. That's not you being negative, that's you just reporting on how today is, you know. And so for me, while this is maybe not a typical fucking let's all sing Kumbai Ah and conquer the world, I still think these conversations are really important. And you know, I appreciate you for being honest and vulnerable and authentic in the middle of it all.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it, mate, And I also know that not what happens to you, it's what you do about it. So I hope from you know this conversation as well, it's what can I do about it? And some things are out of my control, but what is in my control. I hope I can control that and and create a better outcome.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what you can do, motherfucker. You can eat meat for twenty eight days and laugh at you. You might get rid of your fat face.
Speaker 2: Oh well, yeah, exactly, exactly.
Speaker 1: Love you. I love your fat face.
Speaker 2: So anybody more men to love? Love you, mate,