Speaker 1: Live on Sky News. This is Sharry.
Speaker 2: Thanks Andrew, good evening, Welcome to the show. Tonight. The left in meltdown at Donald Trump's key appointments. Elon Musk, a hero of the working class, has become enemy number one for Democrats and they just can't cope with the new attorney general. More on that in a moment Also tonight, a leading Israeli politician lashes out at Penny Wong and Albanisi over their move to recognize Palestinian sovereignty, and Israel's parliamentary speaker also tells me that the normalization agreement between Israel and Saudi Arabia could happen in the next two months. That's a major exclusive. It's coming up also tonight, how the Quantus freebie scandal is still hurting the Prime Minister. It's a big show tonight. We've got Matt Canavan, Kelly Sloane, Jason Morrison and jem and Tognini. We're going to talk about these climate protesters in Melbourne today. Haven't we had enough of this disruption? But first tonight, Donald Trump has now announced key members of his cabinet and administration. They're Trump loyalists, will help the president prosecute the policies he does now have a mandate fault. Most are excellent choices, strong on national security, unapologetic supporters of Western values and Israel. It's a bold and ambitious team that reflects Trump's landslide win. But it's sending the left into meltdown.
Speaker 3: Matt Gabs, Tulci Gabbard, Pete hagskifth do you think that they are confirmable at this point? What's the buzz on the hill right now?
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, I hope you don't forgive me for saying this, Christian, but the general vibe on the Hill right now is WTF.
Speaker 5: People are a shock.
Speaker 2: Wals is a Trump loyalist, an election denier, and a NATO critic who echoes Trump's skepticism about supporting you.
Speaker 3: But one person has loomed over all of that. His name is Elon Musk. Multiple sources tell me tonight that Musk has been seen at mar A Lago nearly every single day since Donald Trump won co host.
Speaker 6: Of Fox and Friends Weekend, not even like that.
Speaker 2: Weekend. It's fun, isn't it? And yet they will get things done. Elon Musk and Vivek Ramaswami are heading up the Department of Government Efficiency. The acronyms are doge, which Elon Musk is having some fun with. It's also a popular decision. Musk has become somewhat of a hero from working class Americans, and in buying X, he's a defender of free speech. And having Musk, one of the smartest men in the world, in charge of slashing bureaucracy, well, it can only be a good thing, and it'll all be transparent. Musk set on X that we will also have a leaderboard for most insanely dumb spending of your tax dollars. This will both be extremely tragic and entertaining. Now must cut thousands of jobs when he took over Twitter, but its usage has skyrocketed despite the Left leaving it in droves, and he's now been given the task of cutting the six point five at trillion dollar annual government spending. He also wants to help bring down America's thirty four trillion dollar debt. It's an insane amount of money, but US debt, like here in Australia, needs to be cut. The only downside of it of this all is that unemployment will rise as a result, We've seen from almost all the job reports under the Biden administration that most employment growth comes from the government sector. Now, Elon Musk also appears to be playing a key role in advising Trump personally. He's reportedly sat in on some of the interviews for cabinet spots. He also, as you know, joined the call with Zelenski as I said, the left are leaving x and even the Guardian announced today that it would quit the social media platform, partly in protest at Elon Musk. But no decision has outraged Washington as much as Trump's moved to appoint Matt Gates as Attorney General. He's a controversial choice, no question, and I'll explain why in a moment. But the Democrats brought this on themselves when they decided to weaponize the Justice Department, when they decided to use lawfare to put their political opponents in prison to try take out a candidate in a democratic presidential election. Well, how did they expect that the Republicans would react? How did they expect Trump would react when he personally faced the prospect of prison receiving different treatment to Joe Biden, even when the ellection crime was exactly the same, and we saw that with a classified document's case. Now Trump feels the weaponization of the justice system more acutely than anyone. Steve Bannon, Pete Navarro. They already went to prison. So this explains Trump putting Gates in as Attorney General. Now, Gates has plenty of enemies, especially on his side of the aisle, but the left are particularly fired up about this.
Speaker 7: Have a look, well, Katie, I've gotten two different texts from different people at the Justice Department who just use the word insane to respond and react to this potential appointment.
Speaker 6: Heads are also exploding at the Justice Department because this goes against the kind of candidate, Republican or Democrat, that the DOJ sees as an appropriate candidate.
Speaker 2: And this is making everyone's head explode right now.
Speaker 8: We're watching, and I'm sure I'll have a lot more opinions on that.
Speaker 2: Gates is so provocative that he makes Trump look diplomatic. Here's what he's said about women attending abortion rallies.
Speaker 4: Is it seem to see that based off of your comments, you're suggesting that these women at these abortion rallies.
Speaker 2: Are ugly and overweet. Yes, what do you say to people who think that those comments are offensive be offended. He's often called a fire brown politician and a flamethrower, and he'd be America's top lawmaker. But he was also the subject of a federal probe into allegations he violated sex trafficking laws with paid escorts on a trip to the Bahamas. And there's yet another investigation by the House Ethics Committee into allegations of sexual misconduct, illicit drug use, and misuse of campaign funds. Now nothing has been proven and he's denied all of these allegations. Gates has previously suggested he could be Attorney General, but he kind of joked about it.
Speaker 9: We go take the White House back and you never know, David and maybe an Attorney General Mac Gates down the road or someone a lie liking who will be there to actually enforce the law and provide the accountability not just the vision, but the actual accountability. The people that are sending you those messages deserve that in a free and justin constitutional republic.
Speaker 2: And that was last year, not last week. But it's no laughing matter. Now he will be the new attorney general. The question is will he end the political law fair of the Justice system, or will he seek revenge and use the same tactics against the Democrats that they used against Team Trump. And if Gates goes for that second option, he could relaunch investigations and prosecutions into Hunter Biden, even Anthony Faunci. It's no wonder Washington is so worried. Now another key Trump appointment Fox News host Pete Hegseth. He's going to be the new Secretary of Defense. This is the role that Mike Pompeo had been widely tipped for. Now heg Seth. He's much younger, but he is a two times Bronze Star recipient. He's got twenty years of military service. He studied at both Princeton and Harvard. Now, in Defense, heg Seth will be making sure that America is match fit against an increasingly aggressive China.
Speaker 3: China's building an army specifically dedicated to defeating the United States of America.
Speaker 2: Now, as you've already heard, Pete is also more. He was also a Fox News host and he was reporting live on the US election.
Speaker 5: Hi, guys, I've been to a lot of Trump rallies. There's Trump rallies and then there's this one.
Speaker 10: So we'll continue to monitor the crowd gets bid.
Speaker 2: Just a couple of months later, he'll be the Secretary for Defense. It's an amazing world, isn't it.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 2: John Ratcliffe will be the new director of the CIA. He was the Director of the Office of National Intelligence in the last Trump administration, so he was in charge of eighteen intelligence agencies. But he had a key role when he was in charge of the intelligence agencies. I interviewed him about the origins of COVID and he said that all of the top secret intelligence on this topic should be declassified.
Speaker 11: The people that had the most access to the most intelligence are telling you that the most likely origin of COVID nineteen of the Wuhan virus was what happened was a lab league at the Wuhan Institute of Virology. There is more intelligence out there, and I'd like to see it declassified.
Speaker 2: That was from our Sky News Wuhan documentary.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 2: I have high hopes that when he is CIA director, he'll do exactly that and declassify the intelligence and hopefully we'll find out more information about how the pandemic started inside the Wuhan Institute of Virology. Another strong Trump appointment, Marco Rubio he'll be the new Secretary of State. He's rock solid on China, on Israel, and on foreign policy. And here's what he said about the origins of COVID.
Speaker 8: Start to conclude here that in fact this probably was a lab leak accident. Someone got infected. It now has spread across the world, and at the talitarian communist government in China doesn't want the world to know about it.
Speaker 2: And here's Marco Rubio speaking about Hamas so in Rubio, will you conference on the contrary?
Speaker 5: I want you guys to get this.
Speaker 8: I want them to destroy every element of ham Master they can get their hands on. These people are vicious animals who did horrifying crimes.
Speaker 2: Now Trump announced America's ambassador to Israel as one of his earliest appointments. It's a signal that the decision is important, the relationship is important. Mike Huckabee, well, I have to say he makes me look soft on Israel because have a look at what he's had to say about the West Bank and settlements.
Speaker 12: I think Israel has titled eat Judea and Samaria. There are certain words I refuse to use. There is no such thing as a West Bank. It's Judea and Samaria. There's no such thing as a settlement their communities, their neighborhoods, their cities. There's no such thing as an occupation.
Speaker 2: Now this all comes as Trump met with Biden today in the White House, and many have noticed that. Well, it's the happiest the current president has looked in a long time.
Speaker 1: Congratulations, thank you, and I'm looking forward to having I.
Speaker 4: Like we said, it's good with transition to everything, we can make sure you're accommodated what you need.
Speaker 2: Perhaps he was one of those quiet Maga voters after all. Now on the Middle East, Trump's election night victory and strong appointments are already having the desired effect. Iran has reportedly backed down, saying it's not going to retaliate a gay against Israel. And as we'll hear tonight from the speaker of the Israeli Parliament, there's now hopes that Israel's normalization agreement with Saudi Arabia could go ahead within weeks. Both sides are kein to get it back on track. It was about to happen before October seven. It's at least part of the reason for those Iranian backed terror attacks. But I interviewed the speaker, Emir o'hanna. He says it could happen before Trump takes office. He explains why I have a quick look.
Speaker 13: To achieve a defense treaty between Saudi Arabia and America, they will need to get a majority, a wide majority, two thirds majority. So that could only happen if some of the Republican Party currently sitting in the House and all of the Democratic Party will vote for We know it's a possibility, but we assume that during President Trump's administration, which vis a vis Israel and US relations are expected to be the Golden Age, but it would be more tough to bring two thirds of the House. So we hope we can achieve it as soon as possible.
Speaker 2: That's a big exclusive. That full interview coming up. But if Israel and the United States can pull off normalizing relations with Saudi Arabia and potentially other Arab nations, well this is the best pathway to peace for Israel. This should be news that the Democrats and the mainstream media are welcoming. Instead we're just seeing a meltdown at the Trump effect. Okay, a lot to come on the show. Let's bring in now national senator Matt Canavan and commentator Jason Morrison. Greatt you both. Matt. I want to get your reaction to Trump's appointments. I know you follow them more closely. What do you think of his key pick so far?
Speaker 14: Well, definitely shaking things up, Shahi, and I think you've summed it up well. When you set off a whirlwind, you know it's going to come back at you, and that's what's happened here. I think, Look, I'm happy to give everybody a go. I think there's obviously a big mess to clean up over there. It's been a shocking four years in the United States on the economic front, on the geopolitical front, and yes, on the lawfare front as well. I've spoken in Parliament myself how I am very sad and to see what are in effect political prisoners in the US and the likes of Petere Navarro at Steve Bannon, who were fortunately now released from jail. Certainly many of the people that went away for walking through the Capitol Building on January sixth seem hard to explain too. There were some that were engaged aged in violent and destructive conduct, and they seemingly deserved to be sanctioned, but others just seemingly walked in and you've got grandmas and others being chased down rated locked up. It's just remarkable. So I'm able to give all of these guys a go to clean up this mess. So I hope it doesn't end up in a spiral of political tit for tat in the United States, because we need a stable United States is a strong partner in our region. Let's hope they can clean it up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jason, there will be the temptation to seek revenge through the courts and some of their political enemies, and you know where it's justified, show where there's a strong case for it. But if not, wouldn't it be more sensible to try remove politics from the justice system like in Australia.
Speaker 4: Yea, yeah, yeah, something that Americans would be shocked that someone wouldn't go into politics for revenge.
Speaker 5: I don't think there's necessarily.
Speaker 4: A track record in Trump's history to date the shows that he goes in to square up scores in fact, as much as you should, because God, they went after him. The temptation will be there, and probably people in the administration will be saying, go do it. But you've got to hit a reset button, because people voted for a reset button.
Speaker 5: And I think that's what's so interesting.
Speaker 4: About these selections is that we didn't vote for the same old in America. If I can use the collective we people over there, they voted for a change. They voted for a different way. It was in all the ads, you know, vote for President Trump for a different way, a different approach. A different way is not doing what everyone's always done.
Speaker 5: And as much as it's.
Speaker 4: Really easy for you know, a lot of the clowns that you just showed in those clips there that were criticizing Trump's decisions and his appointments, the American people wanted that reset button hit, and they wanted patriots, and they wanted people who actually were prepared.
Speaker 5: To challenge the assumptions to come back. So, you know, to.
Speaker 4: Answer your question specifically, I really hope that they don't go and seek revenge, but gee, it must be tempting. I mean, they did everything to that guy, right down to extra judicial powers beyond the criminal and then got the assassination.
Speaker 5: Who will ever know the truth about what that was about?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, indeed said one more thing too.
Speaker 14: These appointments also to my mind, show up the limits of the Albanezi government's diplomatica outreach. From reports, it would seem that their outreach the Trump campaign amounted to meeting with Mike Pompeo etly about twelve months ago, and he's missed out of course, And that's not making any commentary on Mike, but it was clear to anybody watching this that there was a very strong chance at Donald Trump's next term, if there were to be a next term at the time, would be very different from the first term. He could he could staff his organization with very different people. We've got the likes of Tulsa Gabbart to form a Democrat today announced as well. And it would seem that Penny Wong and Anthony Alberinezi have been been found completely flat footed here and just simply haven't done the groundwork to build relationships with this different element of the Trump world, and that's possibly going to cost hums in a long.
Speaker 2: Term as a compry. And exactly not only haven't they built the relationships, but we're seeing Elon Musk appear as one of the most influential figures so far with Donald Trump himself and Albinizi has gone out of his way to smash Elon Musk. I mean he's held prefer press conferences about Elon Musk. So you know, none of this is a good sign. And you look at them, they couldn't be I've I've made a lot of comments about this, but you couldn't get two different people, two different values or ideology, ideologies or policies. Then we will see under under Donald Trump, then, albin EZI we've been talking about Kevin right now for two weeks. I don't want to get too stuck into the weeds again. But Peter Dutton did comment about this today and he said that, well, if Albaneze has to dismiss Kevin rd over, you know, his many insults over several years, well then he may also have to fire Penny and even himself. Have a look at what Dudden had to say.
Speaker 10: Well, I guess the difficulty that the Prime Minister's in at the moment is that if he sacks Kevin Rudd, then what does he do with Penny Wong? And if he sacks Penny Wong, what does he do given he's made his own disparaging remarks about President Elect Trump as well. And look that these are issues for the Prime Minister.
Speaker 2: And then of course there was Chris Bowen. He said, I reported this the other night that Trump was the worst president in the United States history. I mean, Jason Peter Dutten has a point. The entire government has lashed out at Trump, which.
Speaker 5: Is why they can't sack him. They can't sack Rudd.
Speaker 4: Right has to do, if it's possible, a classy thing, if it's possible, and that is to recognize that his nation's needs outweigh his own ambitions and perhaps just show us that you're bigger than Jess your ego, Kevin and step aside and step back. I mean, I saw reports on Sky today that they've been reaching to Scott Morris and to ask Scott Morrison for assistance. Well, I mean there's a novel idea someone who actually does have contacts with the Trump administration that was about yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean, it's it is. It is remarkable that you've got these resources and let's call them that for a second. I mean, because people will obviously have a political view about whether Scott Morrison can work with the government whatever else. I mean, fundamentally, you would hope people who are ambassadors for the country.
Speaker 5: Are patriots not partisans.
Speaker 4: You would hope that they would be doing the best thing in the best interest for the country. And I would hope that the Australian government right now could look and say, yeah, Okay, Scott Morrison, we might have defeated him in et cetera, et cetera, et cetera, but he's got an in with with Trump and he's got an in with people over there, and this is what we should be doing. And it amazes me that we're two weeks down the track and we're still waiting for Kevin to do something that's good for the nation.
Speaker 5: On this phone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I broke that story that they would draft that Kevin rud was drafting in Scomo on Tuesday nights. So, but Matt, isn't that embarrassing that the Albanezi government has to appeal to Scott Morrison's best interests to try and help them forge ties with the Trump administration given how hard they went after Scott Morrison, personally blaming him effectively for Britney Higgins rape.
Speaker 14: Well, look, Charie, is it is embarrassing for the Albanezi government that they've been caught out like this unprepared, unexpected. They should have expected it. It's not the first time they've been in this sort of situation. But look at the same time, in this situation, I think you've got to put any sort of self reflections aside and do what's best for the country. And so what is best for the country was best for Australia is that we work together to re establish what is now a rocky relationship with the United States because of the unwise and personal insults from very senior Albanezi government ministers. So I've said on your show before I said it. I think I said it when Steve Bannon came out and criticized Kevin running yeargo, I'm happy to help no one's but no one's reached out. I mean, they seem to have reached out with Scott Morrison, but I actually think maybe there's a need here for Anthony Albernezi to convene across party delegation over to the over to d C where some of us that might be able to open a few doors, and some of us like you and I Sharow who've been on the war room, who spoke to Steve ban I mean when I went on the war room shower. I had senators that that fool Senator Tim Ayres get up and just pants Steve Banner and E's tin fall hat wearing all this rubbish. I mean, all that's on the record. You know, I try and limit my credit, you know, crats in the US. I'd be very diplomatic about it because of course, you know, you never know what you're going to get, so I think, you know, they need to reach out across the aisle. They might be embarrassed about it, but we've got to put Australia first.
Speaker 2: There's a senior journalist at the Australian newspaper who said he wasn't coming on my program again because I had interviewed Steve Bannett, and you know, I think that's just such a misunderstanding. But that shows the addage of labor leaning journalists and politicians towards the Trump administration and the Team Trump, because you know, as a journalist you deal with everybody you and as politicians you need to forge ties with everybody as well. Otherwise you're left in a position like this where Kevin Right and the Albanezy government, you know, don't know if they're going to be able to have Australia be exempt from those ten percent tariffs. This is that's an issue that affects businesses, families, farmers across the country.
Speaker 4: Now, just before we go with well, that's senior journalists from the Australian go on the ABC.
Speaker 5: I mean that'll be an issue.
Speaker 2: I'm sure he does all the time.
Speaker 5: I know which one's doing more damage to the country than you.
Speaker 2: Now, let's talk about this superannuation story. It's been big news front page now for two days in a row. The Corporate watchdog says the shocking treatment of vulnerable customers from super funds is a systemic failure. So ASK is now vowing to protect Australians over the next twelve months. It's lawn regulatory intervention, cracking down on exploitative behavior. Here's what they said.
Speaker 15: I think it's fair to say that we do think this is a broader industry issue. So we are at the moment doing a deep dive surveillance of superannuation trustees handling of death benefits claims. More broadly, we are going to be writing to the CEOs of superannuation trustees shortly to really put them on notice as to what we are seeing and our concerns about that. We're going to be putting out a detailed report early in the new year that really sets out the work that we are doing, and we may well have further enforcement action to follow.
Speaker 2: So Jason the regulator took sabuster Coot on Tuesday over twenty million dollars O to members. A lot of labor links here as well. This is a big story.
Speaker 4: Yeah, don't you just travel When you hear our six speak, I mean, they're just in there fighting these institutions. I think a lot of the time, you know, a lot of arms of government forget they are there for the people, not for the institutions.
Speaker 5: And when I hear the kind of way in which.
Speaker 4: This is enforced and the speed in which it happens, when you think that, you know, we chuck ten percent of our pay more than that now into super every week, every fortnight, and we pay these insurance policies and we expect that they will be there, and that most people have no idea how much they're super Fund is just waiting to f them over in the event that they ever need.
Speaker 5: To call on it.
Speaker 4: It is staggering and it amazes me that you know, these agencies just sort of waffle on like this is just something that can happen at.
Speaker 5: The pace of reform actually action it needs.
Speaker 4: There are people sitting there dying for this money, quite literally dying for the money, and they can't get their hands on their super It's.
Speaker 2: A major scandal. Jason Morrison, Matt Canavan, thank you both very much. Now let's get back to our top story, Donald Trump's key picks for his cabinet for his administration. And I'm joined now by National Review columnist John Fund. He's in Washington, DC as we speak. John, Thanks for your time. Look what's your read on Trump's cabinet and particularly the most controversial appointment today in Matt Gates.
Speaker 1: Well, I think the cabinet picks have been very good until yesterday, and they were met with general surprise that Trump had picked qualified people who had respect by their peers in their field. The latest picks, though, are bizarre. I referring to the Secretary of Defense, the designators Pete Higsith, a Fox News commentator and military veteran, and then Matt Gates, who is a firebrand congressman from Florida. I know both of them personally, very friendly sorts, but they're not suited for purpose. Gates, it has just been revealed, has resigned from Congress in order to avoid the publication of a damning ethics report regarding his personal life, possible as a drug use, possible conflicts of interest. And it strikes me that this would be the first time that someone has been appointed Attorney General who until very recently has been under active investigation by the Justice Department that he is supposed to lead. It strikes me that this is a colossal error. It will not stand. Matt Gates is not going to be confirmed, and in fact, I suspect that he's going to be forced to withdraw.
Speaker 2: That's fascinating. So when you say you don't think you'll be confirmed, do you think there are going to be senior Republicans who oppose this?
Speaker 1: There already are. They may not have announced publicly, but I know of at least one Republican who is not a moderate, who has said this is not happening. And remember, the Republicans do have a majority in the new Senate of fifty three to forty seven. But that means if for Republican senators and there will be no Democrats supporting Matt Gates. If four Republican senators say this is too much for us to bear, Matt Gates is not going to be confirmed.
Speaker 2: Even if there are Republicans who absolutely despise him, and I've already said tonight he definitely has his enemies. You know, he led that coup about was it a year ago? But even if that's the case, surely they would say, well, Trump has a mandate here, this is Trump's pick, will go with it.
Speaker 1: Well, if you look back through American history, I think almost every president has had at least one cabinet choice that ended up on the reef. The rocks and sank. I can't think of anyone that would be an exception. So I think almost all of Trump's picks are going to go through. But if you follow historical president someone is going to be left behind.
Speaker 2: I've also noticed that it's a very young habnet, a lot of people in their early forties. I mean, do you think this is a good thing to have that generational change come through, because mostly so far it's been a lot of I don't want to say elderly, but older people in very senior roles under the Biden administration.
Speaker 1: Well, I wouldn't say elderly. I would say in some cases perhaps senile.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, we'd agree with you there.
Speaker 1: We had the greatest generation that fought World War Two. What we had in power until very recently in Washington were the Boomers, and the Boomers have not covered themselves in glory as a generation. And yet we had Nancy Pelosi, we had Bernie Sanders, we had Donald Trump, we had Joe Biden, we had Mitch McConnell, and all of them were past their shelf by date easily.
Speaker 2: We saw those pictures today of Trump going to the White House sitting down with Joe Biden and Missus Biden. Millenia didn't attend. You know, a lot of people have commented on just how kind of happy Joe Biden looked. He was smiling, he was relaxed. Do you think, and we've heard the reports as well that the Biden camp and the Kamala Harris camp there were a lot of tensions in the final weeks of the campaigns. Do you think Biden was silently rejoicing that Trump won.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't go that far, but notice that you have footage of Donald Trump meeting with Joe Biden, where is the footage of the last meeting between Kamala Harris and Joe Biden. It's not to be found. Look, Joe Biden cannot help but resent the fact that he thought he was the only Democrat who could beat Donald Trump. He had been the only Democrat whoever defeated Donald Trump, and he was cast aside by his own party in favor of his vice president. He must view that as a disloyal act of some kind, and he was basically ignored and shunted aside of the campaign trail. And I can understand the reasons why. For all, Joe Biden me that infamous garbage continent, which I think certainly would have hurt Kamala Harris. I think he leaves with very mixed feelings, but probably relief, because all you have to do is look at Joe Biden and realize that it must be a taxing, tiring time to be president. Right now for all.
Speaker 2: Right, John find and great to have you with us from Washington. Thank you now still to come. Albanezi has gone down in the estimation of more than a third of Australians after the Quantus upgrade scandal. I'm going to speak about this with Kelly Sloan and Jemma Tognini plus our major exclusive, A senior Israeli politician reveals the push for the Saudi deal to go ahead while Biden is president. He also lashes the Albanzi government over their move today to recognize Palestinian sovereignty. Huge show, don't go anywhere, welcome back. Well, Anthony Albinizi and Penny Wong have changed Australia's vote at the United Nations to recognize the permanent sovereignty of Palestinian territories. Now, this is completely out of step with both the Biden and the incoming Trump administrations on Israel. But this is also a major betrayal to Israel and there is no reason for Australia to do this. There have been no moves by any Palestinian leadership to return the one one hundred and one hostages who have been held captive for over four hundred days, including a baby and his four year old brother, Baby Kafir. They haven't agreed to any of the numerous cease fire deals that Israel has sat down with. They haven't agreed to lay down their weapons. So who exactly does Penny Wog want to lead? The Palestinians. Humus is this who she wants to give recognition to. It's utter nonsense, it's illogical. Former Foreign Minister Alexander down I had some advice for her on Chris Kenny Show a little earlier.
Speaker 16: If I were in government today, therefore, I could give a bit of advice to Penny Wong and the Labor government, I would think about drafting a resolution which demanded that Hamas hand over the one hundred or so hostages that they're still holding and sees a tax on Israel.
Speaker 2: He's completely right. This move by the Albanezi government is pure politics. It's just about the marginal seats they want to win over. It's got nothing to do with peace. It only rewards the terrorism of October seven. Now, I spoke with a senior Israeli politician about this a little earlier. Speaker of the King, I said, Emir Khana, thank you very much for coming on the program.
Speaker 13: Good evening, Sheriff from the eternal capital of the Jewish people. Good to be with you.
Speaker 2: What's your reaction to the breaking news today that the Albanezy government here in Australia has changed its position to recognize Palestinian sovereignty at the United Nations.
Speaker 13: It is very unfortunate in counterproductive. I hosted recently another foreign minister and he told me that they considered to recognize the Palacey in the state as well. I told him, it is a great idea if you want to reward Harmas for the autrocities of October seventh. It is the perfect idea if you want to send a clear message to the entire terrorist organizations throughout the world that this is how to get the job done and to get their goals. Of course, the debate over the two so called two state solutions was a very live debate before October seventh. Following October seventh, and as long as we have our one hundred and one hostages still held in captivity by Hamas, as long as we have tens of thousands of displaced civilians threatened by his Bala and others organizations, it is a non debate here in Israel. It's very clear that it will only reward Hamas for the atrocities, which is unthinkable. So I hope that this notion, this idea will soon get off the table.
Speaker 2: It's not even clear who would lead the Palestinian TERRITORIESSM and it can't be Hamas, that's for shore. If the international community were actually serious about peace, they might put forward emotion of resolution that would demand the return of the hostages. But you know, it doesn't seem like they're as serious about peace as they are about rewarding terrorism. O Hannah.
Speaker 13: Indeed, indeed, unfortunately, we see a vast majority amongst the Palestinian people supporting Hamas and supporting October seventh atrocities, and it goes bored to board, you know, to both sides of the Aisle plo Fata and the Hamas. Unfortunately this is the case, and this is what we have to live with. But we will fight. We will continue to fight until we return safety and security to the entire civilians of Israel. Let me remind you that on October six, children were sleeping in their beds in Gaza peacefully. No one was after them, No one was after the people of Gaza. And unfortunately Hamas broke that silence on October seventh. And now we don't have the luxury to follow in grief and pain. We need to fight, That's what we do.
Speaker 2: Israel and Saudi Arabia were close to normalizing relations prior to October seven. Many say this is part of the reason that Iran encouraged the attacks by Hamas. When I met with your Prime Minister Benjaminette and Yahoo, he said, and he used the word determined. He said, he was determined to get this done, this deal with Saudi Arabia as a pathway to peace. Are you hopeful that this could happen while Joe Biden is still president?
Speaker 13: Absolutely. Let me tell you, I think that the Iran is not only Israel's enemy, or rather, should we be more precise, the Iyetola regime of Iran. It's not the Iranian people, but they are enemies of peace. We were on the verge, as you said, of expanding the circle of peace. I was fortunate enough to be a minister in the government that signed the Abraham Accords with the first Trump administration and four Arab countries, one of which is the country where both my parents were born and raised, Morocco. I was hosted by my counterpart, the Moroccan head of Parliament, and that was a very significant thing. And we were on the verge of expanding the circle of peace even further, which from US was trying to stop on October seventh. But as you said, Prime Minister, and the State of Israel is very determined to expand the circle of peace. How the Arab is definitely one of the most maybe the most important country in the Arab world, So it's a goal worth achieving.
Speaker 2: Just in terms of the timing, how soon could this happen.
Speaker 13: Well, to achieve a defense treaty between Saudi Arabia and America, they will need to get a majority, a wide majority, two thirds majority. So that could only happen if some of the Republican Party currently city in the House and all of the Democratic Party will vote for We know it's a possibility, but we assume that during President Trump's administration, which vis a vis Israel and US relations are expected to be the Golden Age, but it will be more tough to bring two thirds of the House. So we hope we can achieve it as soon as possible. But let me tell you that even if there will not be a peace treaty between Saudi Arabia and America, I think we can reach understandings that could be very fruitful and bring us closer together, even to a normalization and a peace agreement.
Speaker 2: But if there was to be a formal peace treaty if it was to go through the United States, as you just outlined. Do are you hopeful that this could happen in the next two months before Trump's inauguration.
Speaker 13: We hope it will happen as soon as possible, as as you said, we hoped it could happen more than a year ago. But we will never stop aspire for peace and extend our hands in peace to our entire neighborhood as we have done in the past. And we believe that, and I think that President Trump believes and understand that peace could come from strength from power, and this is what we are doing currently.
Speaker 2: Well, I'd love to get your reaction to some of Trump's key appointments so far. Mike hackeyby Elise Stephanick. Given we saw that Joy Biden did threaten to withhold weapons from Israel, and there were other ultimatums in recent times as well, is this a positive sign the appointments of Mike hockeyby in particular, of how the Trump administration is planning to cooperate with Israel.
Speaker 13: Absolutely, when I see the team that the Green Team, if I may say so, that doesn't Tromp assembles. Now, these are the America relations. These are great friends of Israel throughout the years. I hosted the Elise recently and I congratulated her for or appointee as ambassador in the UN. And I'm looking forward to work with those great people, those great friends of the State of Israel. And i do believe that we are about to experience the golden age of US is relations.
Speaker 2: The golden age. Well, let's hope that will be the case, because Israel certainly needs friends on the international stage. At the moment. We're hearing, and it is just media reports, but we're hearing media reports today that Tehran may have decided not to retaliate against Israel after pressure from the United States, perhaps because of Donald Trump as incoming president. Are you hopeful that Iran might not retaliate again? Are you hopeful that these media reports will be accurate.
Speaker 13: We have shown the Iotola regim of Iran that we can act on Iranian soil and put down a decisive reaction to their texts upon us. If they will do a mistake in harm Israeli once again and shure that Israeli they're going to get another decisive reaction.
Speaker 2: All right, emir Ocanna, pleasure to have you on the show. I appreciate your time.
Speaker 13: Thank you, Sherry.
Speaker 2: And after the break, climate protest chaos, extinction rebellion activists block Melbourne roads causing mayhem. Kelly soon and Jema Tognini will join me next. Welcome back. Well, let's have a look at the climate protests today in Melbourne because they shut down traffic. We've seen that university students couldn't get to their exams or they were late. It was absolute mayhem. Let's have a look. Okay, so this is activists, Kelly yet again choosing the most disruptive time to commuters, to families, people trying to get to work, get their kids to school. I mean, this doesn't win anyone over.
Speaker 17: Most people have zero sympathy for this kind of behavior. People stopping people going to their exams, stopping people going to work. It reminds me a lot of the Rising Tide protesters that are stationed at Newcastle Port of Newcastle at the moment doing exactly the same, who've been prohibited from doing their protest by the Supreme Court. Yet today the new South Wales Health Minister is quoted as saying, well, if they're doing nothing wrong, then happy days. So we're sending mixed messages to these people. They're idiots and they should stop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a terrible mixed message. What do you think, Jemma.
Speaker 18: I think Australia is sick of them. I think people are sick of them. We know in Melbourne recently a judge overturned a softer center couple for an extended period of time in jail.
Speaker 5: More of that.
Speaker 2: I say, this is the.
Speaker 18: Small squeaky wheel, crying emergency, crying wolf and trying to impose this wild sort of climate cold, you know, propaganda on the rest of us. And think about the people who, as he said, university students can't go to their exams. In the most extreme cases, people can't get to hospitals.
Speaker 2: Parents got to get to the birth of their children.
Speaker 18: A woman gave birth on the Balty Bridge. I think it was protest before enough enough of them.
Speaker 2: I mean the economic impact as well. You think at some point the government should be able to move people on and say this is the spot where you can protest, but not shutting down traffic. Now we've seen we all saw the Quantus freebie scandal. We all know that it was not a good look for the prime minister. Now surveys back that up thirty seven percent. Australians now have a more negative opinion of alban Easy over all of this, Kelly, I think the perception is cementing that he likes the high life, is in it for the perks. I think it's that double standard.
Speaker 17: He portrays himself as the working class prime minister, the guy that got brought up by a single mom, and then he, on the other hand, buys a beach house in the eve of an election, but also then equivocate so over whether he did or did not ring Alan Joyce took him six days, right, So people say, you know what you don't I don't know that I trust what you're saying. And that's the problem. It's a trust deficit. So most people are reasonable. Thirty six percent said, look, if politicians get a flight up grade, fine, I'm twenty five percent they said they should have it for business or for pleasure. So most people are quite reasonable. What they don't trust is equivocation, people that take too long to get to the truth. You know, if I had picked up the phone to someone like Alan Joyce to get a flight up date, upgrade, which.
Speaker 2: I never had. I would remember it one hundred percent, you'd remember and jammer in a cost of living crisis as well. Not a good look. Well it's a terrible look.
Speaker 18: But it's also the extension of exactly what Kelly said. It's about saying we all need to pull out our belts in, we all need to reduce our emissions, we all need to do.
Speaker 17: X y Z.
Speaker 18: But by the way, we're going to fight climate change over a glass of Margaret RIVERSHARDI at the pointy end of the plane because our mates about Joyce and it.
Speaker 2: Was the delay.
Speaker 18: It was it was the run around and just the lack of trust and authenticity against a prime minister who.
Speaker 2: Loves the tennis, he loves the box here is at the latest folk festival.
Speaker 18: He is literally the duty likes to party his way through government. Meanwhile, there are all of these pressing issues that just seem to fall by the wayside.
Speaker 2: Kelly, in New South Wales, you're the state of the shadow health minister. We've seen the nurses go on strike this week demanding a fifteen percent pay rise. At least that was their initial demand. Look, we understand nurses need to be well paid, but you know already hospitals are shot staff. This is a very difficult situation. This is a problem.
Speaker 17: It's a huge mess and it feels like an intractable dispute between Labor you promise so much in the lead up to the election, and the nurses' union who were feeling betrayed.
Speaker 2: So you have a.
Speaker 17: Situation where the nurses are saying we're not backing down, and in fact they're flouting the Industrial Commissions rules not to strike. You have Labour saying we've got no more money. So how do you fix it? I don't know the solution. Labour's saying to the nurses, you we can't pay you more because we're going to invest in more nurses. Nurses are saying that's an impossible choice. And in the midst of this we've got a protests by the CFMU industrial election, by the Electrical Trades Union, rail unions stopping It is chaos in New South Wales and it's a problem of Labour's making.
Speaker 2: Yeah, especially because the unions very quickly Gemma expect pay rises from labor.
Speaker 18: Well, of course they do, because this is the Labor Party is a union party. This is that's where the votes come from, that's where the caucuses come from, That's where the deals are done. So it makes absolutely perfect sense that there is a time to pay the piper. In Italian we said Kipaga, who's paying. It's the unions Labor party is paying you and I are paying. Because this is the way the power structure works in the political left in this country.
Speaker 2: Right Gemma Tonianni Kelly Sloan's so great to have you bank shore me all right after the break, Just a final thought, stay tuned. Well. Last night I wasn't here because I was attending my company's journalism awards and my colleague at The Australian, Yanni Bashan, he won the main award in honor of Sir Keith Murdoch. Lachlan Murdock presented him with this prestigious award, and right after October seven, Yanni flew to Israel. He even went into Gaza. He was so courageous. But what I want to say, and I feel this strongly but I don't say it enough, is that there's only one media company around the world that has had unwavering moral clarity since October seven. You've been watching Sky News and you've seen the clear eyed reports from Chris Kenny, Caroline Marcus, Peter Credlin, Andrew Bolt, Aeron Moland, James McPherson and so many more. The commentators here as well, And given we've had such abysmal political leadership, I just have to say thank God for NewsCorp for Sky News and the news cop papers around the world. To all my colleagues, a huge thank you for standing by our side as we fight anti Semitism. That's it for me. I'll see you Monday at eight. And here's Paul Murray