Speaker 1: I get a tip, I get ahaps.
Speaker 2: How are you just grand?
Speaker 1: But if I feel my fingers still too cold?
Speaker 2: What's wrong with your fingers? Love?
Speaker 1: Just cold? It's just cold. I don't got me nana blanket over my knees though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's going to be one in Melbourne tomorrow. But let's stop talking about the weather, shall we. Now. I don't want to throw anyone under the bus, but it is forty minutes past five. You and I did have an appointment with a regular. We won't say his name, but I will. I can confirm that it rhymes with Mavid Bilessie, but I cannot tell you his name. Yeah, Kenevid Bilessie. It rhymes with he has not shown. I'll tell you what's I'll be docking his considerable wage and he is on his official first morning. So Mavid, you know who you are. I know no one else. They haven't figured it out, but you know who you are. Mavent be officially warned and appropriately terrified. Hey, I did a gig today. I wanted to tell you. I wanted to tell you about a gig that I did, an idea that came out of this because I just loved it, and it's around a concept that I talk about a lot, which is having having an unreasonable friend or having somebody who tells you, you know, sometimes what you need to hear, not necessarily what you want to hear. And anyway, I was kind of explaining this concept. So I was doing am I allowed to say who I was doing it with? I think? So? So I was doing it with Vic Pole and we're talking about this, and it was we weren't really talking about policing stuff or the main reason I'm in there, which is to roll out of a particular project, but we're just talking about interpersonal stuff. So anyway, we're talking about this idea of self reflections, self awareness, self knowledge, self regulation, and then self actualization, which we could unpack at some stage on the show. I love that whole kind of process. But then we're talking about how this propensity that we have to surround ourself with people that tell us what we want to hear. And while it's nice to hear what we want to hear, it's not necessarily great for our development or our resilience, or our self awareness or our you know, our success over time, because we're probably living in something of a positive affirmation bias echo chamber, which don't really suit us anyway. He said, Ah, anyway, this dude, his name's James. I told him i'd give him a shout out, So I'm giving him a shout out. James, who's a gun by the way. And he said, oh, yeah, yeah, I had with my mum when I was a kid. I'm like, what do you mean he said, yeah, I used to be on lipstick duty. I'm like, what's lipstick duty? And he goes, well, you know, it's like because being the unreasonable friend is pointing out things to your friends that they can't see, right, so they don't know about themselves but other people can see.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So he was basically the lipstick monitor free his mum. So whenever they would go out and she was frocked up, his job was to be on lipstick duty. So if she ever got any lipstick on her teeth that it was his job to covertly inform her so that she would not be publicly embarrassed and smiling with lippy on her teeth. And I thought, what a beautiful analogy. So I think we're I think we're going to call this lipstick duty, and the lipstick monitor.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how good is it? And I thought that is such a it is such a good metaphor or it's such a good compart. Garrison is to you know, to have a person in your life that that cares about you and doesn't want you to fail and wants you to succeed. But it might be the person that has to periodically point out to you things about you that might be not you know, what you want to hear, or might be embarrassing, or might be confronting or you know. And at the same time, it's a person that will, you know, support you and encourage you and tell you you're doing a great job when it's warranted, but not when it isn't. And I think, in you know, in twenty twenty four, I don't know that that person is. I don't know that that's a welcome person in some people's lives.
Speaker 1: I reckon it takes two. There's two really key aspects to it, and one is the relationship itself. You have to have a solid relationship and understanding of each other, and then the skill of actually having that conversation or that level of communication.
Speaker 2: What do you think, Yeah, I think there's a lot of there's a lot of variables around this. We were talking today. A big theme of the day that we were talking about was around communication, connection, respect, rapport, so all the kind of interpersonal stuff. And I was talking about one of the challenges that I had when I had, you know, lots of personal trainers working for me, especially in my Brighton center, which was massive, you know, So we would have thirty trainers on the floor regularly, each with one or two clients, so there might be eighty people on the gym floor, and I would, you know, I would do my thing. I would walk around and just kind of I'd either be training someone or i'd just be working the room and you know, pressing the flesh and saying hello. And but there'd be times when I would see people, obviously do see trainers do things that I didn't love. Not too often, but often enough when you've got that many sessions and that many trainers. And it might just be that they're wearing something that looks fucking unprofessional, or it might be that they say something that's not exactly anatomically or physiologically right. It's closed, but it's not right, and or it might be that you know, whatever, and so me. My responsibility is to obviously enlighten them, support them, encourage them, but you know, tell them, you know what they what I'm either not happy with or what I think they got wrong. But the challenge is how do you do that? When do you do that? Like you surely don't walk up on the gym floor and go, hey, can you just come over here for a minute while they're in the middle of a session, because you don't embarrass them, You don't want to draw any attention to that. But there was the odd time where I had because someone was doing something potentially dangerous and I couldn't wait. Not many times, but a few, but yeah, that was an ever present challenge is how do I still be the guy that's supportive and encouraging and positive while talking to people about things that they need to improve or change or be aware of. And of course, if you've got thirty trainers on the floor, you've got thirty personalities and you know they're and even with the same person, like for example, with you and the same with me the other way around. Like there's probably days where I could say to you something which might not be a criticism, but it's just an observation about a way that you could do something better. Now, depending on the day, you might go, ah, yeah, that's good, I haven't thought of that, thanks, Or you might go fuck off, do you know what I mean? You might not outwardly, but you might inwardly go fuck off because on that day. You know, so there's all of these variables around, you know, because I know with some of my staff, I could walk up, I could go hey, listen, champ, just a quick bit of feedback, and they'd go, oh, yeah, cool, thanks. Yeah, I didn't even realize thank you. Thanks, And they're genuinely good and they genuinely fix it and it's there's not even a speed hump, it's seamless. And then with other people, I really have to be careful because I've got to navigate and negotiate you know, shitty self esteem and a bit of ego and all of these things. So yeah, that for me was you know, an ever present kind of into personal challenge. But but back to this go on.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, how did you if you can remember, or how would you if you don't have an answer, specific answer for it, navigate that you know, those times when you had to confront something in the gym where someone's doing something and you have to address it there and maybe in front of the client. How do you manage that whilst not decredit made them make me yea disredited?
Speaker 2: I mean generally when that was happening, that was a young, inexperienced, new to the industry trainer who might be I don't know, you know, just the only reason I would do that is if I think they are doing something that could injure the person. Yeah, and obviously I'm not going to wait till after the session, but I would go and I'd say, can I just can I chime in? Can I can I help for a minute or And generally they would be okay, I'd go, look, that's pretty good. That's eight out of ten. But I'd just like you to do this for these reasons. You know, what you're doing is not terrible, but it's not optimal. So let's try this. And look, did I ever, you know, did anyone ever get their nose out of join? Of course they did. Did any of my trainers ever fucking hate me for three days? Of course they did? You know. But like this is one of the challenges of leadership, Like there's going to be times where people hate you and you'll say the same thing to someone else and they'll appreciate you. And all you can do is, you know, live in alignment with your values and say, well, I care about my client's welfare. That's the priority. Yeah, the priority is their well being, not my trainer's ego or self esteem. And so if someone gets there now and knows how to joint, which I don't want, but if that's the consequence, but I have to intervene here, you know, and then we could if I knew that that created a problem for them, then as much as I could, I would sit down with them. But you know, the truth is that you know, I had hundreds of staff, and of course there are I'm sure there are people out there that that worked with me or for me or under my banner who don't have great things to say. Statistically, that's inevitable, and there are other people who say the nicest things. Ever, and by the way, some of those negative things warranted, I'm sure one hundred percent. You know, and being able to recognize that you're going to get things wrong, you are going to do things that the end result of that, even though you didn't intend it, is that somebody got offended or somebody got hurt and you were unintentionally the cause of that. That's just one of those ever present dynamic social dynamic challenges of working with a bunch of different humans, thinking about like, right now, how many thousand people are listening to this episode and some are really resonating and some are not. Some have already tuned out, and some are leaning in, and some are like, I'll see if it gets better. But everyone's listening to the same thing.
Speaker 1: I was thinking about that same person on a different day, and like, I resonate with that so much because I think of how shit sometimes my initial response wants to be. And it was like, quite recently, I had having conversation with someone who was giving me advice and they're a beautiful person, and I was tired, exhausted and feeling burnt out in a bit, you know, and they're like, you need to have you know, you really need to have a holiday, you really need to take time time out, and I didn't because they're such a lovely person. I'm like fiding my tongue. I'm like, cause if I speak, I'm going to be a little bitch because I'm feeling tired with my responses and it's all me created, right, so I know it's unreasonable where I just want to go. I'm like, I want to winge about all the reasons why not? Which are me reasons? Someone who's going to pay all my bills and who's going to pay for the holiday? And oh, that's all well and good for everyone else in the you know, like yes, And in that moment, I know that that's and it was like any other day this would be a nice conversation, but today this sends me on a tirade.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well that's good self awareness. You know. I'm going through my just little list here, so I think this is relevant for you. So this is one of the it's kind of a a multi layered thing to this self awareness kind of construct that I share with groups, which I don't know if I've ever shared with you, definitely a form of it. So you know, for those of you who want to turn up the volume on your self awareness. By the way, it's like self awareness is one of the hardest things in the human experience because you know it's you are you are trying to examine yourself and your own mind and your own behaviors through the subjective window that is you, right. So it's a real challenge, and that's why sometimes having somebody else give you a little bit of input, you know, watching yourself on a video, listening to yourself on a podcast, your unreasonable friend saying hey, sometimes you you know, like, I know you don't mean this, but sometimes you're a little rude, or sometimes you're a bit intimidating, Craig, or you know, all the things that I've had, you know, or sometimes you're you're not very patient, or sometimes you're a little bit too blunt or direct or I've had all of those things, and I understand times for some people I am because like and I, this is something that I just need to be aware of because and I say this openly, I'm more interested in helping people build a better version of them over the next one two, five, ten years, physically, mentally, emotionally, blah blah blah. That I am concerned with making someone feel good for three minutes. I don't want anyone to feel bad. But my goal is not to stroke someone's ego or make them emotionally secure for the next three minutes just because I want to make them have a comfortable experience. But anyway, so that these five kind of these five steps are. One is self reflection, which is just where we're trying to get a bit of distance between us the observer and our actions, our choices, our responses, our operating system, our normal protocol. So just reflecting without kind of putting any weight or judgment. So it's really just about curiosity. And then what arises out of that is awareness. So when we recognize something when we try to look through that unbiased hard to do, but that unbiased window where we're just reflecting on what happened, we're trying not to emotionalize it, we're just being attentive. Then something comes up where you go, yeah, I am like you said before, So you just demonstrated awareness where you said this person was their intention were good, they were saying something nice, but I knew in the moment, right, that's awareness that I needed to bite my lip or else, so I was going to tell them to fuck off or whatever you were going to do. Right, So then and then that gets embedded in us as So the next one is self knowledge, which is where we just have a greater understanding of us, Like I know now that For example, I can be intimidating, so that's something that I know, so I factor that in. I know that I can talk over the top of people in terms of using language that they might not resonate with or even have heard. So I'm very aware that I need to use words and language and dialogue, especially on this show, where the conversation is meaningful and relevant and understandable. Otherwise what's the point, right, So I operationalize that knowledge, or you know, a much more practical form of self knowledge is I know that my body works well on two meals a day. So that's self knowledge that came out of, you know, experimenting in a kind of awareness. And then the next one so self reflection, self awareness, self knowledge. The next one is self regulation, which is me learning to manage me with this new knowledge. You know. So like you know, for example, you might know that your energy, your focus, your productivity, your efficiency tip is better between six am and two I don't know what it is, right, but like you know how you work best, so you operationalize that. So you know, you doing podcasts at eight pm probably not a great idea, you know, or whatever. You you having a deeper meaningful with someone when you're starving. Not a great idea because you won't focus because you get angry. Right, But you have that awareness, you have that knowledge, and so you would say, all right, well, I've got to do a workshop at three o'clock this afternoon for two hours, three to five, I'm working with these people. There's no way that you would go into that not having eaten, yep, because that would impact your performance, you know. And then and then the last one, so self reflection, self awareness, self knowledge, self regulation. The last one is self actualization, which is just you becoming that better version of you. You know, you having recognized what needs to change, made decisions, taken action, improvised, adapted, and now the actualized version of that is you're better. You're more efficient, you're more effective whatever it is. You're making more dough, you're more patient, you're a better listener. You've changed your body composition, your bank balance has grown. These are all versions of self actualization, which is becoming the thing the person you want to become, or creating the outcome that you want to create or want it to create. And now you're there. So I like that little framework.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's really helpful because it's I don't know, like a self awareness is funny. It's such a path I feel. Look, I started it years ago and it's just this moving target.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, there's there's you, there's how you experience you, and obviously we've overdone the how others see you. But go on.
Speaker 1: Well, I was also going to say, and there's the awareness of because I always think of this, if I'm what I want to say to somebody, the feedback that I am thinking about offering, is that just my bias? What's my Why is it just me experience and experiencing them like that? Why is my Is my intentional understanding actually helpful and beneficial to them? Or do I just think it is because I'm me?
Speaker 2: M Yeah, And what's the space between what's going on for them and what's going on for you in that same moment? Yeah, you know, theory of mine understanding their version of now not necessarily agreeing or aligning. Yeah, that's that. That's that kind of that interpersonal superpower is understanding other people's thinking, understanding their reality, and then, you know, as I've said too many times, understanding how they perceive and process and experience you. I don't do this normally, but I'm going to give a shout out. So we're talking about unreasonable friends and so full of disclosure everyone where we're at right now. So we're recording this twenty five to six. It's Wednesday nights or Wednesday late afternoon, and so the old man Ronald Edward, personal Clarence Terrence, James Ambrose, Aloisious Harper, my dad at Ol. My dad went, he had to go in hospital today for a little procedure. We'll just leave it at that, the procedure anyway, So I had a gig this morning and in the city between, which meant I wasn't going to be back home in hampt until about one month thirty. And Dad had to be at the hospital in Brick, which is an hour away, and he needed to be picked up in more Well, which is two hour anyway, The not too long version is that one of my best friends for the last thirty years, in fact forty years, oh my god, yes, since we were about twenty Greg. So Greg said, you know, like, I'll pick up your dad. So Greg lives in Brick Tiff. He lives in Brick, which is where the hospital is that dad's at. So he lives in Barrick. He drove to Moore, which is an hour and a quarter give or take, picked up Ron. Now remember Ron's eighty five. He's got a few issues, he's diabetic, He's got a bit of stuff going on. Then he drove Dad from Morewell back to Bhrick and to check in at midday. Now they got there probably twenty thirty minutes early. Of course they did checked him in and last time I chat to Greg, which was about thirty minutes ago, they are still sitting there. So five thirty in the afternoon still hadn't gone in to be operated on. So my mate left home this morning at about I guess nine o'clock, went and got my dad, took my dad to the hospital, got there at eleven thirty and has been literally sitting with my dad for the best part of six hours, just to make sure my dad's okay. What the fucking what an amazing? How good? You know? Like to me, it almost makes me teary that somebody would do that for me. Obviously do it for my dad, but do it for me like to me, that's I love that. I love that so much that somebody is just And I've rung him a few times and gone, mate, I'm so sorry, because I mean, obviously it's not my fault, but I'm so so sorry. Sorry. It's like, ah, it's okay, it's okay, that's all right, we're having a good time. I'm sure they're not having a good time. They're fucking sitting. He's waiting for surgery. But I just didn't want to be dad to be left alone for six hours, you know, because it's a bit you're eighty five, is a diabetic and also he hasn't drunk anything like no liquid or no food sense yesterday, so twenty four hours and I'm like, I'm a bit worried. And you know, how good is it to have human beings that come into your life that truly there's that unconditional love, you know.
Speaker 1: It reminds me of There was one of my former guests on LinkedIn. He recently posted this really does these daily doses. He he's researched kindness, so he talks about kindness and I love it. And I'll get this a bit wrong, but there was this snippet I love. I shared it on my LinkedIn the other day because I stopped and watched it and loved it. Where He talks out, when we don't have enough time. We always complained about we don't have enough time, and we don't have enough time to give yes and they. He points out a research paper, just a small research study, but one that shows the people's subjective relationship with time. These busy people, the ones that actually created time to give to others, to focus on others, transformed both. Yeah, this subjective relationship with time. And I guess how you what you get out of that? It was God, I'll have to share it. I'll share it in the top group because I've justice, but really, because I fall in that category at times, I always complain I'd like to do more meaningful stuff. But I knew live to him, I.
Speaker 2: Remember a long time ago, would have been maybe two thousand and nine, so fifteen years ago I was talking back then I was doing more in the Look how red I look on this? My room's gone dark. I look like I've got third degree sunburn. Sorry everyone, you can't, but I look like I look like a tomato with a silver kind of frosting on the top. Anyway, I don't know what it is now, but but I do though, don't I I.
Speaker 1: Do a little very much so I can't even remember what you'd started to talk about it.
Speaker 2: Now you can't unsee the tomato with a silver frosting, right, I wonder what that would taste like? Terrible, I'm imagining. Anyway, Here's what I was going to say. So we're talking about, you know, time. The number one excuse that I got given by you know, nearly everyone for years and years and years like as to why they didn't exercise was they didn't have time. I'm like, if I could say, okay, so why not because it's never because I'm lazy? Right, No one ever went I'm lazy. Everyone went, oh, it's time. Because if it's time, then it's not me. Right, It's because it's like I can't control time, so therefore it's out of my hands. It's a time issue, equals it's not a me issue. But if it's laziness, then it's me. I'm the problem. So what I want to do is I want to deflect and I'll go, fuck, it's time. But at that time I did some research and it was a bit varied, but on average, the Australian the average Australian punter watched twenty eight hours of television per week. Right, So four hours a day. Now, you think if you turn on the telly at five thirty or six when you get home, and you turn it off at nine thirty or ten, and you watch a bit on Sunday, or you watch a bit in the morning you turn it on, or you're watching your Brecky in the morning show, like, four hours a day is not a lot. I mean, it seems like a lot, but it's actually easy to like not these days for me, but back in the day, I would turn on the telly at five and flick it off at eleven. Well that's six hours. That's forty two hours a week. So it's a job. You're working with the fucking job, right, So what's my point? My point is in a country where the number one reason that people gave for not having enough time to exercise, and you think, even if people did seven days a week, thirty minutes, that's only three and a half hours, seven days a week, thirty minutes, three and a half hours. Those people who couldn't find the time were on average watching twenty eight hours of television per week. And again, I'm not trying to be critical, I'm not trying to throw on anyone. I'm just going you know what this is, we bullshit ourselves about the truth because it's like, well, if it's a me issue, then I've got to be responsible. I've got to be accountable. I've got to make a decision. I've got to change. And it's so easy to deflect and avoid and deny and point fingers because it's just then I can stay in this holding pattern.
Speaker 1: I get it though, because back in the day, I wouldn't even go out for dinner with my family if it was at the time that Home and Away was on, So you.
Speaker 2: Know, I wouldn't own up to that. I would know up to that.
Speaker 1: That's a true story.
Speaker 2: Who's your best friend over the years? Like maybe that not that I feel like you're not that kind of person.
Speaker 1: I reckon Courtney, Courtney Divine. She lives in Perth now and she's a really special friend. I've got another really good friend, Alison. They kind of fall into different categories for me, but Courtney is definitely right up there because we've had some we've been through a lot together and at some times it were pretty big. So, yeah, how many best friends do you have?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, probably my best friend. You know is all you know? Greg and Vin Vin who you met And Vin's just Vin's my longest best friend, like just the best guy in the world. And listen to us, we sound like fucking teenagers at lunch. He's my best friend ever, like Besty lifelong bestie. Anyway, I'm not sure that anyone got anything out of this, but Gillespo, we blame you for this substandard podcast. David Billespie, you're the cause. Thanks everyone. Sorry for the disappointment, but you know we'll be back tomorrow. We'll try to make it better than a three out of ten. See see it, Tim, see it helps fucking nvid