Speaker 1: This podcast is being recorded and produced on gadiicol Land.
Speaker 2: We pay our respects to the traditional custodians of this country and elders past present.
Speaker 1: We extend our respect to any First Nations Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people joining.
Speaker 2: Us today, always was, always will be Aboriginal Land. I'm all right, hey, and you've made your way onto our close Friends list because you don't put the juicy you scots on your main store. You keep a fear close friends. And of course, continuing on from this week's main episode, Brittany's not with us, We've got stars still here. Thank you for sticking around for close Friends.
Speaker 1: Of course, this is where the juicy goes up.
Speaker 2: And I'm glad because, as I was saying in the main episode, our walks that we go on, you're my walking buddy for the hot girl walks, they are like a close Friends episode, like we do, you know, do the deep and meaningful things and whatnot on those walks. So I was actually more excited for this Close Friends episode than I guess the main episode with you because now we can just talk about whatever we want. Ye and we're both turning thirty this year, as I've discussed plenty of times on this Partty, and I was saying a few weeks ago that I'm doing the quiet celebrating thing this year.
Speaker 1: Which I was so shocked by. For you, I was like, this does not feel on brand.
Speaker 2: Really, Yeah, I'm keeping things mysterious.
Speaker 1: Never let him know your next move.
Speaker 2: No, And I'd love to be that person who keeps their mouth shut, but unfortunately here I am. But you are doing the opposite of me. Yes, you've decided on a big bash.
Speaker 1: Big party. Well, I kind of was in two minds about it because I was really freaking out about turning thirty. For a hot minute there, you know, I was like, well, milestone birthdays just come with so much shit, for lack of a better word, It's like, oh my god, you reflect on everything that's happened in your life and where am I meant to be? Where am I going? And I was just gonna do something intimate, and then I thought, no, I want to be the center of attention, and I want to look really hot, and I want like all the people that I love to be there, which of course you can do in many different ways. But the route that I'm taking is a big fuck off. Party and it's a dress up.
Speaker 2: Party, I know. And let me talk you through the invitation because this was such a moment to receive this invite was and I love when the invite is an experience in itself because first of all, your legal name literally is star Yes, but your middle name legally is literally a niece. So your name is star Anie, which is a spice, isn't it r?
Speaker 1: It's a spice And no one ever believes me that it's my real name. Like, It's got me a lot of free drinks on a night out because I let your name's not star a niece and I'm like, oh, show you my fucking license, and you have to buy me a drink and then I do it.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, OK, hey, I think it's so funny and it reminds me of when I was in high school. There was a girl who transferred to her our school and her name was Victoria, and I got to know her. She was one of my friends only for a brief moment. I think I was just trying to get to know it because she was new to the school. I was being nice because I was very nice, you know, and very nice person. Somewhere down deep down inside, and she was telling me. I said, Victoria. That's such a nice name. I didn't we didn't have any other Victoria's at the school and stuff. And I said, oh, you got any brothers and sisters? She said yeah, I've got a brother Daniel and another brother named Jack. And I went, oh, nice, nice. And we had another girl in our group who had like a bit of a stranger less common name. So we just got onto like being you know, the name or what were you going to be named? Because my other name that my parents had picked for me was Thomas. I was almost Thomas, but then I got Matthew, and I'm glad. I don't feel Thomas. That is so weird. I can't come Thomas. So anyway, and then I didn't want to deal with the bullying of Thomas the ten Kenjine or something true. I mean they called me the fat controller. Anyways, I didn't work out in my favor. But you know, we got onto the topic of that and I was like, oh, yeah, what else were you going to be named? Victoria? And she goes, oh, no, my mum had our names picked out because she's an alcoholic. Oh, so I'm Victoria after Victoria Bitter and then Jack Daniels Victoria, Jack and Daniel. I thought that's iconic anyway, Oh, I mean it's not iconic, but you know what I'm trying to say. I mean, it's a funny story to tell the Greend kids. Anyway. I hope they're doing well. The point of the fact of the matter is your name, star Anise, which is so unique. And I just have to clarify. Any of your brothers or sisters named after herds or spices.
Speaker 1: No other herbs or spices, but I do give them nicknames kind of along a spice rack. If you look at your spice rack in your kitchen and you've got a Paprika, I'm going to be calling my sister Paprika because I thought we need a theme here. I'm a Virgo and there's no cohesion across the names. They're all fucking random. Can you not tell by my bloody birthday invitation?
Speaker 2: Let me have a look at it again.
Speaker 1: I sent you a link to a Google form to RSVP that is like textbook Virgo behavior.
Speaker 2: That's right. I will have a look now at your invitation because I this whole time thought you were a libra.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm on the huss Yeah, a burgo Libra.
Speaker 2: Okay, you do give Libra energy. Sometimes I kind.
Speaker 1: Of just read the horoscopes and go, yeah, I like that one better. I'll be that one today.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is the invitation. This is probably the most iconic part. The first line, the first line of the invitation, and this is what had me hooked, and I went, this is gonna be to paint the picture for you. There's a big disco ball, Hannah Montana, mean girls, all those sorts of two thousand esque things are in the background, and then Star's got this big you know, thirty flirty and thriving. The first line says, thirty years ago, a star was born.
Speaker 1: Oh I just thought, can I need to star with a double R?
Speaker 2: Yeah, A star I was born? And then it says you're invited to come and celebrate the one and only Star with an iconic night of good vibes, drinks and a cheeky little boogie. And then it says the theme is icons, and there's a quote saying an icon is someone or something widely admired and recognized for their influence, style, or achieved very US icon status.
Speaker 1: I also made a Pinterest board with inspiration for costumes for everyone too. So if you click through to the Google form which is for RSVP, there's also a little note there that says, here's some inspokes. I don't want anyone to feel stressed about costumes.
Speaker 2: So I'm trying to think of something in a little weird because when I think icons, obviously, straight away I go to things like Lady Gaga, you know, those sorts of like pop stars. But I kind of want to try and go a bit funny and scrollers. I'd love your help with this. So the theme is obviously icons. I'd love to go as an icon that is a little bit left of field. The first one that came to mind was like, I think it would be funny if I went as like the Mona Lisa and just had like a blank look on my face the whole time, put my head in like a picture file around you, or like Mother Teresa, and I'm like in a Nuns outfit. Which is that even allowed these days? I'm not sure Sister ex playing at the moment, they're getting a lot of backlash because apparently there's a big mockery of like Christianity and things like that. I thought, have you not watched the movie? Did you not know what you were signing up to? There must be a lot of There must be a big community of people out there who just go and see musicals and have no idea what they're about. Because they seem to be getting every post they put up. There's comments from people saying, left it inter mission, what a described, it's not not nice, mockery of Christianity, blah blah blahl. Come on, I thought, we can't wait to see that. I got my tickets. I'm going in a few weeks, so I'll have to give you a review and tell you all in an episode in the future whether it's worth seeing or not. But I have high hopes. I think it'd be great. I love Casey Donovan in anything. Yes, I fell in love with her in nine to five and she did nine to five the musical that was got.
Speaker 1: The biggest standing of it.
Speaker 2: Oh, she's phenomenal, she's amazing. She was born to do Broadway. You're going big, I'm going small. I also have an update for everyone on Fiji. Yes, so Fiji was meant to happen the date that worked for all of us. Everyone going was going to be the final week in September, and that was where all our dates aligned were all ready to go. I'm not sure what's going on in Fiji at the moment. There might be a real serious kind of aspect to it, because remember when all the prices went up in Hawaii, and it was because the locals in Hawaii were actually trying to divert tourists away. They didn't want to risk coming to Hawaii because it was ruining the wildlife, it was ruining the economy or the rest of that. I'm not fully across what happened over there, but the prices went up to try and deter people from going to Hawaii because the locals didn't want people there. I'm not sure what's going on in Fiji, but we looked at prices to go and stay there and it was just so ridiculous and so inflated compared to because I used to like going to Fiji because it would only cost you two or three grand. You could go for a week. That's flight's accommodation and all inclusive, your food, your drinks, your everything for the week, your transfer, yeah, everything, I mean between two people, that's fifteen hundred dollars each stunning week away, gorgeous weather, all the not far three and a half hour flight, We're done looking. That was only twelve months ago Sky and I last went, and that's around how much it cost us to go and do the same thing. We looked at the accommodation exactly the same accommodation, not all inclusive. They've changed that, and the lowest we could get it for a week was six and a half thousand dollars. That's before flights, that's before anything else, you know, and obviously hello cost of living crisis. I just was like, I can't ask my friends to come to VG. It's like destination wedding vibes. I'm like, you know, I thought it was only going to cost a couple grand. Everyone needs a holiday. Let's just go for a week fabulous, And you know, I'd pay for our transfers and make sure that, you know, if we went out for dinners and stuff for my birthday, like it's I don't worry my shout, I'm not. I can't afford to get to pay your way to Fiji. And so then I looked at things like Hamilton Island as well and Port Douglas and thought maybe a few nights away there everything sold out, and I think what's happened is people have probably looked at Fiji thought the same as me, a bit expensive, so we'll keep it Australian and we'll go Hamilton Island. I think everyone had the same idea. And now there's nothing available up there in that week of September and no other dates work for everyone, so canceled. That's the update. That's update on that. I know everyone was very excited about the whole thing. I had lots of people asking about what's happening with Fiji over the last few weeks because I said I was sorting that out once my tour was done. But I just don't think we can make it work and I just can't expect people to spend that much to come away.
Speaker 1: You should have a look at the Cook Islands. I went there in March. Was really is it school holidays? Maybe?
Speaker 2: Is that?
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 2: Oh potentially you might be on with that. You might be on with that. But yeah, we looked at the Cook Islands because they are beautiful as well.
Speaker 1: It amazing.
Speaker 2: The other thing as well, though the only way to get there is I was concerned was jet stuck and I just I just am not at a point in my life where I can trust them. Due to not being able to trust them in the past, I've had flights just absolutely canceled and the whole trip is I can't do that anymore.
Speaker 1: I must say the flight there is pretty rough as well, because it's an overnight one and it's like six and a half hours, and I know that's like how long it takes to get to Balley, but it was just the timing. I think we boarded the flight at like nine thirty ten PM and I was with my niece and so I got an empty seat next to me on the plane, but didn't matter because there's a five year old next to me sticking her foot into my back for the entire time. And I know how you feel about aisle seats and window seats, but I got stuck on the aisle seat, and as someone with long legs who's trying to sleep on a flight, that doesn't really work because every time someone walks past with the trolley or just a person, you get your knee knocked and you're, God, what's happening. So yeah, the flight was a bit rough. I don't really see you on a jet staff flight. I don't know. I don't think that makes sense, especially if there's no business class, if a little eight three thirty seven or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I'm not riding off Jet Star like they're not so bad that I think like the worst. They can't be as bad as Tiger. Sorry Tiger really was around No and no wonder because it was it was, it was not It wasn't even an experience. I mean, what I paid nineteen dollars for the flight to Melbourne, what do I expect? But yeah, no, Jetstar. I will admit I haven't given them the time of day in the last however many years. So perhaps they're better than they once were, but I just don't like how they got. They weigh your bags when you board the flights, where your.
Speaker 1: Cameras for I went up to Brucebane the other week and I had layers and layers on, even though it was funny flights, sticky and hot in the airport, because I was like, I don't want to cop the one hundred doors feet whatever it is when you get to the gate and they will weigh your bags as well, and I had like my little side bag under my blazer trying to be really dodgy and really so I'm like, just let me on the plane.
Speaker 2: I know. Last time I got a jet Star flight, I had to put my laptop in my pants so that the two my MacBook is like, you know, four kilos in itself, I've got seven. Can't stuff around.
Speaker 1: But anyway, but Matt, how do you back to thirtieth birthdays? How do you feel about turning thirty?
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm fine. I'm not one of those people who are like, oh my god, I'm getting so old. I will say twenty nine has been the first year of my life where I've started to feel my body deteriorating, like start random pains. Yeah, but I've also it's probably my own fault because I'm in my clubbing era, as you know, and I'm absolutely loving it. I'm still loving it. I actually saw this TikTok the other day. Let me play this one for you. I was gonna talk about this in the main episode with Britney, but seeing as you're here, like it makes more sense now. But haven't listened to this because I have a rebuttal. I was actually gonna make a TikTok replying to this girl, but then I thought, no, I better not, but we'll talk about here instead.
Speaker 1: People that are over the age of twenty five that still think the clubbing is a good idea?
Speaker 2: Is everything all good? Is everything okay? Back home? Are you saying that enjoyable? What the fuck is this here doing? If there's nowhere for me to sit, I'm not coming.
Speaker 1: If the music's too loud, I'm not coming.
Speaker 2: If there's anyone under the age of twenty five, you guessed it, I'm not coming. And I have fun clubbing anymore. I don't know will do Hey? You know what, No, I have to disagree. I shout out. I'll give you a shout out. Whoever that was, let me have a look Madison. Her name is Hi Madison. Thank you for your TikTok. Love that it spoke to me on the for you page. But in all the wrong reasons. I am an advocate of the complete opposite, turning thirty absolutely encouraging everyone to go out clubbing. First of all, support local business, you know, inject some money into the economy. It's first and foremost, but secutive all like I think, it depends on where you're going. Of course, I'm going to gay clubs, so it's my community. I feel very good, very at home. It's very fun and there's nothing quite like a dance. That is what I'm there for. I'm there to let my hair down, have a dance. And I think, as well, it's all about your attitude, I will say, as you know, you're asking how I'm feeling about turning thirty, I am noticing that the closer I get to thirty, the more fucks are going out the window. I just care less and less and less and a more nonchalant about so many things. When I go to the club, I do not care about being judged. I think that's what I mean about. It's your attitude. If you're going and you feel judged, or you feel out of place or any of that, I'm like, even if that's the vibe in the room, not gonna affect me from having a good night. Life's too short to not go out and have the time of your life every time you go out. And so I like me and my friend who I go out with, he's the same. We're just like, we don't care what anyone thinks. Let's just dance how we want to dance, do what we want to do, and as long as we have a good night. Who cares what everyone else thinks and if everyone else is judging and all the rest of that, and it's just fun and it's funny. On Saturday night, I was in the toilets in the club and I'd gone to the toilet and then come out and I thought I was washing my hands, and there were you know, people were pushing in in the line, and I thought, well, I'll take it upon myself to be security. I stood there for a good forty minutes directing traffic in the toilets, saying, you keep it for three place. Boys have fun in there, and you know, sorting out where everyone else was going. And I had the time of my life. People were like, min, you're on the dance floor. I said, I'm actually having so much fun in here. And every person who came in I met, I introduced myself. We had a great chat. You know.
Speaker 1: And in movies, a person who like passes the hand towel. Yeah, yeah, I wish.
Speaker 2: I've got some tips, you know.
Speaker 1: But anyway, well, we actually went to Home Bar together a couple of weeks ago, and look, I think, yes, your attitude is very important, but also where you're going. Because I had a visceral reaction walking into Home bar, because I think it's probably been at least ten years since I've been in there, and the floor was as sticky as you remember. I think the weirdest thing for me was being around that many people in an enclosed space, Like I haven't experienced that feeling in a long time. And I've actually been inspired by you this year to go out and have a little bit more fun, because you do kind of like just get into your little bubble and become quite reserved. But I think it was good. It was good to go there, and especially I don't really drink that much anymore as well, whereas when I was eighteen, I was going home by blood. He had like twelve double blacks at Praise before I even get there. Yeah, so walking in there sober is a completely different experience because everyone else is lip so no one has their inhibitions about them, and it kind of just like you have permission to just do that as well, and you don't need to be on their level from like a drinking perspective to be able to do that. You can just make the most of it and embrace it for what it's worth. But I will say There was one time in that night where we went in for this little quiet area just to have a little sit down, you know, just a little breather, and we were surrounded, but we looked around at all the people in the room were like, oh fuck, these people are literally like eighteen. And I remember being eighteen and being in those clubs and be like older people over there, like I don't necessarily think we look the part and that's it, but I'm like, whoa it bloody goes quick, doesn't it.
Speaker 2: And the funniest thing about those people that were in that quiet room was there were about five of them in the conversation and all of them were talking at once, yeah one another, but having a conversation that was absolutely flowing. And I remember looking at Star and we were sitting right next to them, so we could hear what they were saying, but because they were all talking, we couldn't hear what they were saying. And I said to Star, I cannot believe, like I'm exhausted just trying to keep up with that conversation. Yet all of them were so on board and understood exactly what was happening. And I just thought, God to be young again, to be young and be whirling like that. And also the fact that everyone's in flat shoes. Oh my god, okay, sneakers.
Speaker 1: We need to talk about this. Where are the big fat high heels, the Jeffrey Campbell leaders that I used to wear until five o'clock in the morning when I was eighteen. You look around home nightclob everyone's wearing bloody sambers or little Nike Nike flats and sneakers.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I love that for you, But also you gotta where's the cannon event of having to wear giant high heels.
Speaker 2: I know, I know, I wonder what.
Speaker 1: That's going to do to the authotics industry, you know, because these kids are growing up with, you know, wearing sturdy shoes going out. Did I tress everywhere? They're out of business?
Speaker 2: Just another way to ruin the economy. Yeah. So I have no qualms with turning thirty. How are you having an existential crisis? Yet?
Speaker 1: I definitely go through phases. I think now I feel more excited. I think every year that I grow, I get to know myself better. I become all confident and I kind of, like you said, give less fucks about what people think. But I think the added layer for me definitely, like being a woman in society is hard because there is that expectation and pressure on you and being in a long term relationship as well.
Speaker 2: Ever, friend's like, oh, you.
Speaker 1: Know, when's when you're gonna get married and when you're gonna have a kid, And I'm like, can everyone just fucking leave me alone for a second here? I am I kind of in my prime right now. You know, Work's gone really well. I'm like doing all the things that I love doing, and so that's always definitely like kind of in the back of my mind about turning thirty, But that's more so a meat is shue and some things that I need to work through and process, and I thought the best way to do that is to have a big fuck off party. I think, so well, why not? Why not just send it and if you want to wear your Jeffrey Campbell's scrollers, if you want to come dm me, I'll fucking invite everyone.
Speaker 2: Honestly, got to hit the bar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I bring some cash with you because there's a minimum spend on the night.
Speaker 2: Well what about home bar having the sign? Yes, it said if you pay cash, the drinks are cheaper.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like full of laminated sign like not even like a little dodgy dodge from the from the bartends. It's like if you pay cash, it said, want cheaper drinks, pay cash, there's an ATM downstairs. Yeah, I didn't bring my card. I've got my Apple Pay.
Speaker 2: Sorry.
Speaker 1: The drink was drum roll please fourteen seventy five for a Seltzer, And as soon as I took a sip, I went I regret that.
Speaker 2: See, I'm not doing the premie, so I'm just still having the like of old casda or a old lemonade. Yeah, it is my drink of choice when I go out. You know, when I was eighteen, you know, you know what I was on the VCRs? What is that?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Can I just have a vodka cocin raspberry? Place vodka with coke and then they do a splash of grenadine in it. Ah, music to my ears, just gorgeous. Honestly, I uh, vodka cocin raspberry. I mean, next time I go out, I might order another one just for old time's sake, but I would honestly have like twelve VCRs in a night, and oh it was. It was life changing. They are delicious.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I used to get a vodka, raspberry and grenadine. Is just like the nectar of life. Honestly, it tastes so good. Or tequila Sunrise with the orange juice and the grenadine at the bottom. Oh yeah, it was just beautiful. I was.
Speaker 2: That was so good. I remember the old guys when they put a splash of the grenadine in the coat.
Speaker 1: And I used to have my Jeffrey Campbell late is very high heels lovely.
Speaker 2: You know what's funny. Once I stopped drinking voga cocon raspberries, if I'd go out for dinner, I'd just get a coke and raspberry, which I feel is a little um hire.
Speaker 1: I used to do that at Hungry Jacks because it's self served with so you do like the pink lemonade or whatever with coke. Very good, it's very yummy.
Speaker 2: Well, I think next time. What I've taken from today's episode is, next time I go to dinner, I'm ordering a coke and raspberry and hopefully they do it. I don't know if anyone's still ordering vodka, coc and raspberries these days, in this late stage of the game, but I'm going to try it, and I'll report back Star, Thank you so much for joining us on Close Friends. Absolutely love you. I've had the time of my life with you today. We will see you on Tuesday. Brittany will be back fingers crossed unless something else happens. Thank you for listening. Scrollers, have the best weekend start any final words.
Speaker 1: Thirty thirty and thriving, Yes staring.
Speaker 2: Thirty years ago a star was born, And don't forget what happens in close friends days and close Friends