Speaker 1: Hi, I'm James Weir. You're listening to Witness, the home of investigative podcasts for News dot com dot Au. This is our newest series sex Lies and Streaming, and as you might have guessed by the title, this series is designed for adult ears only, so maybe don't play this one in the car with kids. Emma, Hi, Hey, James, how are you. That's Emma Gilman. She's a publicist. I'm good and that's me James Weir. Hi in La. Thanks so much for letting me tag along with you guys. I know it's a big week. Am I still okay to do the private jet with you guys and travel with Bonnie?
Speaker 2: Well, so you are able to do the private chat with us. But yeah, some bad news is Bonnie has just got a cold.
Speaker 3: She's a bit exhausted.
Speaker 4: You know she did the.
Speaker 2: World record attempt week. We're going ahead. It's only going to be three of us plus you. It's a nice and intimate but yeah, she won't be joining.
Speaker 5: For the flight.
Speaker 1: Okay, will she still be in Vegas?
Speaker 2: I'm with her manager and her sister, so we'll be meeting her.
Speaker 5: There was going to be a few.
Speaker 1: This phone call is happening on a Tuesday morning in January. We're talking about Bonnie Blue, the notorious diy paorn creator who has turned controversy into cold hard cash. She's the racy alter ego of Tea Billinger, a twenty five year old from Derbyshire, England, and depending on who you ask, she's either a feminist entrepreneur or the Internet's most dangerous influence. It's about one week after Bonnie's world record attempt where she claims to have slept with one fifty seven men in twelve hours. I've been promised an interview with her, along with access inside her world. I've flown twelve thousand kilometers from Sydney to LA to catch a private jet to Vegas with Bonnie and her entourage. But now that plan seems to have changed. If we can, if I can definitely track her down in Vegas, that would be good. If it can help me, If it can help me log her down, she sounds like she's in demand at the moment.
Speaker 2: I mean, we're there for another full weeks, so I'll fine sometime.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, Emma, I will I'll see you soon on the PJA. I'm on my way to an Airport Hangar in Van Nights, just north of la to catch a flight with one of the most controversial women in the world, Bonnie Blue. But there's an issue. Bonnie has gone a wall. She's seemingly missing. It's hard to believe someone like this could just disappear from the spotlight, vanishing faster than a teenage boy's Internet browser history, especially when that person has spent the past year courting global news headlines with device of sex stunts.
Speaker 4: Next guest is one of the most controversial people online.
Speaker 3: Twenty five year old Bonnie Blue from Derbyshire is making headlines around the world for filming herself having sex with teenagers and posting the footage online.
Speaker 6: Kay, Karen's I thought i'd give you an education. Just because you don't enjoy it does not mean your son's day.
Speaker 1: Do you think it's okay that men cheat on their wives with you?
Speaker 7: One hundred percent? Because women are lazy. If you ask the average person, when's the last time your wife went down on him, they're going to say is ages ago. The other thing with women, they want women rides and they want things equal, but then they're the ones that want the bills to be paid for.
Speaker 1: I first became aware of Bonnie Blue a few months ago when I was reporting from Schoolies on the Gold Coast in Australia. The annual week long party for high school graduates aged seventeen and eighteen had been hijacked by Bonnie, who was on a mission to well, I'll just let her explain it.
Speaker 6: And the girl that's been sleeping whispering breakers. So it's my last night at the Grand Oasis, and I want to make a special for both you and me. I'm in room four five to five to as and I want to film with you tonight. So bring your idea along, bring your friends along, and get me on my knees, let me pleasure you, and let me get a video out of there and know your faces and have to be shown. Nor do you even have to last a long time? Yes, you can finish wherever you want. And if you do not disturb signs aren't it's because someone else will probably beat you to it. So given five minutes.
Speaker 1: After having her visa canceled in Australia before the Gold Coast Schoolies event, she tried taking her challenge to Fiji to sleep with vacation and graduates, only to be deported from the island paradise. Over the past year, it's scandalous exploits like this that have become the cornerstone of her online adult entertainment business model. The strategy seems simple. Bonnie trolls pearl clutching conservatives with debaucherous antics that attract thousands of headlines and even more subscribers who pay to watch the X rated scenes on platforms like OnlyFans, one of the most popular online pay per view websites that has completely disrupted the adult entertainment industry. Revenue jumped from three hundred and seventy five million dollars in twenty twenty to six point six billion dollars in twenty twenty three, with reports its owner, Phoenix International, is now in talks to sell at evaluation of around eight billion dollars. What started as a niche platform has quickly become a household name, with everyone from reality TV stars to university students joining the site. Now, with an iPhone and an Internet connection, anyone, even your own friends, colleagues, and family members including grandma, can become a porn star. I'm following Bonnie to Las Vegas for the annual Adult video news convention, a week long carnival of flesh that explosively climaxes with the so called oscars of porn. This is ground zero of the attention economy, where fame is measured in subscribers and everyone's convinced they're just one viral moment away from financial freedom. In the neonlit hallways of a desert casino, I'll live alongside the performers, agents, and die hard fans who have turned intimate exposure into big business and expose the one thing everyone involved would rather keep covered. What's the real cost of this X rated digital gold rush? In Vegas, Bonnie's supposed to be meeting some of the groupies who make up her nearly three hundred thousand followers on OnlyFans. They're no doubt frothing about her recent world record attempt, which is her latest thrust on the world stage.
Speaker 3: Okay, so I wanted to update you on what my body looks like at taking over one thousand men. My eyes not that rat and to people did not have the best of EAMs. I was expecting them to be maybe even so swollen or very red to day, but they're not. My wrists really ache and my legs. On the other hand, they're the ones that are probably taken there. I don't know most physical battering because they are very bruised and very sore today, But as a whole, it's no difference to do in America. This is a phase of a girl that's taken over one thousand men, and it's already for round.
Speaker 1: It's that stunt that has apparently taken a toll on her body, though her team would prefer you not to know that because they're worried that people will think that she's sick because of the stunt. I've flun to La because I want to get a glimpse behind the mask. She seems very in on the joke, and she also seems like she's kind of thrilled with the backlash. I want to see who the real person is behind this tabloid villain character that she's become over the past year.
Speaker 5: Take to a consortis Cass.
Speaker 1: Jess Emma Hello Fantasy, I know that's Emma Gilmot, Bonnie's publicist. She's standing inside the airport lounge, just the flight crew fuss around with luggage and paperwork. This petite, no nonsense twenty something with a blonde Bob represents a stable of adult content creators, and it's responsible for getting them as many headlines as possible. When it comes to Bonnie, Emma has helped orchestrate her assent to global tabloid fixture, courting media attention with sex stunts and inflammatory remarks. While Bonnie's in the US, Emma's frantically trying to schedule press appearances. Their mission is to crack the American market and build her profile like they've done in the UK and Australia.
Speaker 2: So we're in Vegas and then after Vegas, we're going to head to Houston for Fox News. Then we're going to maybe go to Miami if we can get some media secured there, and we have Last or Sports locked in and the Mirror US.
Speaker 1: What's going to happen on Fox News?
Speaker 2: You know, I can't say what I want to say, but I will look like she's done very controversial media before She's done like Good Morning Britain, and you know, she's had some pretty big grillings from Australian and British news presenters. I actually find Fox News, while it's obviously you know, right leaning and controversial, I think that she might even get more of a sympathetic view in We basically saw Yeah. Fox News had covered her a few weeks ago, and as we were planning the trip, I just reached out to the team and said, hey, if you'd like to have her in studio, we can come past. And the host of it, who I was talking to, he was a massive fan on the show, was like, man, if I was eighteen, I would have loved Barney Blue. So I think it'll actually be more of a chill one, but hey, like it could go anywhere.
Speaker 1: What do you look for in those kinds of media appointments?
Speaker 5: Are you looking for a moment?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean Funny just makes moments like she's not thinking, she just does and you know I'll always prep her, but she's pretty comfortable on the fly. Really, what we want is to break that US market, which is why we're doing a few weeks. She's got such a massive market in the UK and Australia. We really just want to build that here. So you know, if I can do something, I'd love like a canvass Owens, I'd love like a Joe Rogan. They're sort of the areas where we're going to be pushing for but yeah, it's whatever, and things just keep popping up. I've got a lot of people inquiring since it's just off the back of the world record.
Speaker 1: Emma seems to be mapping a blueprint to ensure Bonnie's world domination. These TV and podcast appearances have become her bread and butter. Bonnie says something provocative and it feeds the news cycle for days, sort of like a hyper sexual Piers Morgan. But is all publicity good publicity that depends? It seems the team only wants the kind of media attention that suits their carefully created image of Bonnie, and this act is playing out right in front of me as we wait in the airport lounge. After Emma agreed to let me come to America and record this podcast, certain restrictions began to pop up. They don't want listeners knowing Bonnie's sick, But how am I supposed to explain why she's missing from a podcast that's supposed to be following her. And they don't want me asking about Bonnie's personal life or family, even though her little sister, Summer Billinger, is standing just meters away from me. Only days ago, she officially joined Bonnie's entourage as a paid member of staff.
Speaker 4: I literally just quit my job at supermarket about two weeks ago.
Speaker 1: Why did you quit the job at the supermarket?
Speaker 4: I didn't want to, I read, I read didn't want to because I loved I've really loved it there. I love of the people. But I always thought to myself, I could, I can probably my life save oop to go to LA, But I'm never in my life's even not to go on a private jazz never.
Speaker 1: Summer is twenty one, but could be mistaken for a high schooler. She looks more like the kind of girl you'd see hanging out with her friends at a movie theater. There's not even the slightest tinge of her sister's vava voom vampiness. Summer has the sweet outlook, gleeful optimism, and wide eyed innocence of a child. This new world her big sister has escorted her into is nothing like her old life back home in England. At the supermarket, she shrieks at the mention of sex acts and gets flustered at the new luxuries Bonnie has granted her.
Speaker 4: The first dame of my job I had try on Nuverton Dressers drink champagne have cocktails. Such a hard day, it was so tiring.
Speaker 1: There's still some question marks around her addition to Team Bonnie. What exactly will she be doing.
Speaker 4: I've not got a set thing that I'm going to do, but as soon as we find something that I can do, that's what I'll be doing. I think it's weird though, because obviously then my sister will be paying me. I don't want to listen. I'll be like, tell me to do something. No, I don't want to.
Speaker 2: Bob everyone family's salaries. Oh yeah, yeah, mom, Dad, you do you.
Speaker 1: Mind asking an intimate question like how much is the salary? Oh?
Speaker 8: I don't know yet.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 9: I don't know.
Speaker 2: She just takes something the account.
Speaker 1: Then there's Bonnie's manager, Ollie.
Speaker 5: We do quite well in Bonnie's team.
Speaker 1: Who's trying his best to seem in control of the logistics and schedule.
Speaker 10: Could you say the details of the plane.
Speaker 1: He's an affable but unremarkable bloke who wouldn't see him out of place some one of those British reality shows about young people who party and drink and tan and fight.
Speaker 5: So as you'll bring it like.
Speaker 1: When it comes to Oli, not everything is as it seems.
Speaker 9: No, we didn't get Lamborghini because you have to be thirty years old. They wouldn't let me. They would't let me drive it.
Speaker 10: So we've got rain drover in saith.
Speaker 9: It was the blue cyber truck or I didn't fancy drive on that to be first, So we've got the rein drover. I a range drove at home, so I'm used to that. But the Lamborghini would have been cool. A blue Lamborghini m.
Speaker 1: Bruand Emma sticks to her publicity duties, hovering around and monitoring what's being said.
Speaker 2: Summer and Olie have never spoken to media.
Speaker 1: And that's because there's another secret they're trying to hide. The team is murky about Olie's identity. I glanced down at his luggage and the bag tags spell out his name in bold black font Ollie Davidson. Both he and Emma seem to be hoping. I haven't seen the recent gossip articles reporting that he's Bonnie's husband or ex husband. Are they secretly still together? Inside this airport lounge, it becomes clear Bonnie's team think they can present a version of their porn star boss that won't be questioned. Even though the truth of her real life is standing right in front of me. Is Bonnie kind of your exclusive client?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 10: It's mony client.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how did you start managing her?
Speaker 9: I've known her quite a long time, so we've got quite a unique relationship.
Speaker 10: So I don't know what I can say on this part.
Speaker 1: You keep it start on are you guys exes?
Speaker 5: I do want to say that on sure.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I've known each other ten years.
Speaker 1: So how did it come about for you? Like? Was it just then a natural progression? Her business started blowing up and she trusted you, so it just was normal.
Speaker 9: And she after she was doing her like on cam websites, she needed help starting and only fans, so I looked into it. I didn't know anything about only funds management, so I looked on YouTube how to how you meant to run an account?
Speaker 10: Had to just teach myself. Yeah, the truth is that we did used to which she is my ex. But I don't want that out there because the press do.
Speaker 1: They've been doing a lot of like digging.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and they'd be going after like my family and stuff. And there's like a few things I've gone out.
Speaker 1: Recently, just days earlier, a tabloid news website wrote a story alleging Ollie was appalled with his ex wife following her world record gang bang. But in this airport hangar, as the private jet rolls closer, Ollie doesn't seem perturbed or disgraced with Bonnie's choices or the money that's now flooding in because of those choices. He's dripping with designer labels, from the Gucci sunglasses on top of his head to the Louis Viaton shoes on his feet.
Speaker 9: It's a Dorchinko banner jacket, al Vi shirt and I've got a Rolex day turner on in yellow gold and a Bulgari.
Speaker 5: Ring as well.
Speaker 1: And how much was the roleggs.
Speaker 10: Fifty five thousand US.
Speaker 9: We got it actually Welsh Rover in California, So it was quite amazing moment to get that.
Speaker 5: We've achieved a lot together.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: While Ali says he wants to stay out of the press for privacy reasons, there's another factor at play. It's better for business.
Speaker 9: A lot of people get very angry if there's like a man behind her. So as her manager and then also Josh as her videographer, we kind of try and stand in the background. Obviously, Josh is on screen a lot, but with her type of content and her saying barely legal and sort of some of the slogans that she says. People don't like the idea that there's men in the background helping her out. We'd get a lot of hate, you know, so we try and stay out the public eye. The sort of hate online is pretty extreme, you know, death threats and the media.
Speaker 5: Trying to.
Speaker 9: Kind of track down family members. Friends go into their dressers trying to find out dirt, and there's a lot of lies.
Speaker 1: What kind of dirt are they trying to dig for? Suddenly the doors of the lounge swing open and the sound of the whirl and jet engine washes in. As the entourage strolls out to the tarmac, Emma, Summer and Olie start posing in front of the slick black aircraft, taking photos of each other before climbing the metal steps and rushing aboard to explore the luxury cabin with its lacquered wood grain surfaces and cream leather upholstery. It's clearly a big day for Team Bonnie to them chartering a private jet for the first time. It's a proof they've finally made it.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna put your bags right over here. It's like a little bag copy here.
Speaker 5: This is so sick. This is amazing. I've come on business.
Speaker 10: Yeah, Bonnie flies first, I fly business.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's it's pretty cool.
Speaker 4: It's amazing, it's so cooled.
Speaker 7: It's so called.
Speaker 4: Just to go out to the.
Speaker 8: Bathroom, will be on our way in a few minutes. There's usually flow into Vegas, but it shouldn't be an issue.
Speaker 5: It's Tuesday, so it should be.
Speaker 8: It should be pretty quick.
Speaker 10: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Thank Would you want to try some pre juices from air one? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: As the team gushes over the array of pastries, nuts, and bespoke juices from hip La grocery store Air One, they reflect on how their lives have drastically changed with Bonnie since she pivoted into being a full time porn star about one year ago.
Speaker 9: The last six months, she's blown up beyond belief, you know, as in, there was one point when she was the most talks about woman in the world, and in terms of only fun subscriptions, the money that she's making is insane. So anyone that's working with her, their lives have been changed.
Speaker 5: You know, at least for the foreseeable future.
Speaker 9: So growing up private jets, nice clothes, nice cars. You know, it's a completely different life to what we had before.
Speaker 1: I asked, Golly, how much money Bonnie has made in the past years since business started booming. He gets nervous and says he doesn't want to reveal an exact amount because he's concerned the UK's tax Department will find out.
Speaker 9: I can't really feel because I don't know if HMRC are listening.
Speaker 1: But it is millions, right, yeah, like how many millions are we talking in the past year.
Speaker 5: It's it's it's over seven million.
Speaker 1: Wow, in the year. And do you see it as like uncapped earnings or like is there a roof on it?
Speaker 10: I'd say on cap to an extent.
Speaker 9: She she can easily earn over a million in a month, so you know, if you think of.
Speaker 5: That, it's twelve million year.
Speaker 10: But at the moment, like this month, after.
Speaker 9: The you know, one and fifty seven world record, it's projected to be anywhere between one point four to two.
Speaker 5: Million in a one month.
Speaker 1: And that's with the world record channel that's the world record.
Speaker 10: All the extra sort of traffic from how it's.
Speaker 1: Blown up on social media At the time of this interview, just one week after the world record Gang Bang, the footage hasn't been posted yet, rumors are already starting to swirl among industry rivals and critics, with some suggesting Bonnie is lying about actually having slept with one and fifty seven men in twelve hours. If she had, then where are the tapes? But on this private jet, Olie doesn't seem concerned. He's busy calculating the estimated earnings.
Speaker 9: Well, you know, before then, she'd be making between six and eight hundred k per month. So when it levels out, we think it could definitely level out a million per month, So she could very easily earn fifteen million or more. And that's what Rid expects in a color a year.
Speaker 1: That's a lot of money he's talking about. And it's better for Bonnie's anti hero image if it's reported that she has endless streams of cash flowing in, that she reaping the rewards of riches for her naughty behavior despite worldwide criticism. I later asked Bonnie's team if I can look at documentation that supports these claims of eye watering annual earnings, but no luck Still thirty thousand dollars. Private jets and designer clothes don't just pay for themselves. And how long do you kind of expect that to go on? Like is it something sustainable or does she you know, does Bonnie have a plan of like I want to be done, you know, with this in like X amount of years and just retire.
Speaker 9: No, she it's only been a year and she really really genuinely enjoys her job.
Speaker 1: But there is a grand scheme in motion. Ollie seems to suggest the past year of scandal has all been a strategy to turn Bonnie into a household name so she can then pursue her goal of becoming a TV host.
Speaker 9: She would like to move into, you know, sort of more mainstream media. She has finished with porn and only fans, but that's no time soon.
Speaker 10: There's there's no limit on that.
Speaker 1: What kind of mainstream stuff does she want to get into.
Speaker 9: We've got a lot of ideas and plans in the works. But she'd like to have her own TV show.
Speaker 1: And what would the show be about?
Speaker 9: It would definitely be based around sex. But obviously there's only so much that you can have on TV. But there's without revealing too much that there's a lot of thing ideas that we have, but it would sort of incorporate her personality, So.
Speaker 10: There's only so much we could say at the moment.
Speaker 1: This is all a giant shift from the life Ollie and Bonnie were living on the Gold Coast just a few years ago. The pair were high school sweethearts and got married young before moving from the UK to the hazy beaches of Australia on the Glitter Strip. Bonnie was working in recruitment and got bored with the monotony of a regular office job.
Speaker 9: Before very well, and she had a very good salary, but it was a very stressful life, sort of working seven till seven most days, and then.
Speaker 10: Then she goes to the gym in the evening.
Speaker 9: So it never felt that she she had a sort of quality of life. It was like she lived to work, not work to live.
Speaker 1: This pivot into pawn is not an original story. In recent years, it's almost become a well worn trope, one that's retold by many adult content creators who have left behind the obligations and commitments of their regular old lives to try their luck at making a fortune by fornicating. For Bonnie, she soon gave up her nine to five job and started dabbling as a cam girl in X rated internet chat rooms before expanding to only fans. She wanted more of everything, bigger, bolder, bluer.
Speaker 4: I see her all the time on my phone, a lot of social media. But does it feel any different though I see like, oh yeah, that's my sister, carry on. Does it feel any well, No, very different. But when I see a face, it doesn't like, oh my god, she's on my phone. It just feels a bit normal.
Speaker 10: Yeah, every time you go on the Future, every.
Speaker 4: Time I go on my TikTok, It's just it's just normal now to see the.
Speaker 1: Face while we chat. Summer struggles with referring to her sister by her stage name. Instead, she breaks them as publicity protocol and calls her by her real name, Tia. I ask some aer about their relationship and how close they are. How frequently do you guys hang out or like chat on the phone and like do all that stuff.
Speaker 4: No, I'm going to say a lot more recently, but we never used to speak as much all the time. To be fair, I probably spoke to Oli more than I speak to myself. Actually I don't can I say that? Probably not.
Speaker 1: It's at this point Olie jumps in and asks if I can show him this podcast before I publish it, so he can flag revelations they don't included. I tell him no and then take a sip of my air on green juice. It's clear the team seems more comfortable talking about the alter ego of Bonnie and her newfound fortune rather than the real life of Tea Billinger. Some are mentioned. She found out through social media that her sister had recently flown to Paris for the sole purpose of buying a designer dress. Ollie and Emma seem relieved at the superficial topic.
Speaker 9: Change it's fiftunds.
Speaker 1: She was picking up a fifteen thousand pounds dress.
Speaker 2: One of a kind from Louverton.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was their for six hours. Yeah, just a quick six Oul tripped Paris as you do normal normal stuff.
Speaker 1: Bonnie dropped around thirty one thousand Ossie dollars on the dress that Ollie says was a one of a kind gown that featured in a recent Louis Vertone runway show. After strutting into the luxury brands store with her stylist named Amez, Bonnie even argued with the Parisian staff members and demanded they breach company procedure by altering it to be more revealing. After all, she'd be wearing it to the Porn Awards in Vegas at the end of this week, where she's nominated for Independent Female Creator of the Year. In keeping with the time of such an event, this dress needed to be Trey risque. It also needed to send a strong message to her rivals.
Speaker 9: I very much doubt looking at some of the other porn stars like Riley reed Or, I don't Lina Rhodes, whoever's attended before, I don't think there've wore something quite like a one of one LV dress. So she's going to look very, very unique and very classic for the event. She also bought some very expensive diamonds to wear as well for the awards.
Speaker 1: How much for the diamonds.
Speaker 9: The diamond necklace is about seventy pounds, So yeah, she again, it was the when she got back from Paris, she was in London and she just decided, I think I need, like, you know, something that's really going to stand out if she know, if she gets on stage.
Speaker 1: But even the most cashed up porn star knows it's not good economics to buy such an expensive piece of jewelry that will only be worn for one event. So ensuring she gets adequate cost per wear out of this diamond necklace, Bonnie has also sported it elsewhere during her recent world record gang Bang.
Speaker 9: There's a thousand men's fluids all over these diamonds, and have a picture of it, and I can show you afterwards. But all the diamonds, obviously at the very start that you can because the all the different lights, the ring lights or the box lights that are around, you can see them glistening the whole time. And then towards the end.
Speaker 5: They're so dull.
Speaker 9: And she had a picture of them afterwards and all the diamonds have just gone yellow, and yeah, we have to get them clean just before she flew out, and now now they look perfect.
Speaker 10: And yeah, yeah.
Speaker 9: You know, I didn't tell the cleaner what was on it. She's just like, you know what's on this? And she was like looking at it, and I couldn't tell her that it's a thousand men's Come you can't. You can't go into a diamond dealer and say can you clean the com off this seventy grand necklace? But I know it's all sorted and we've got it.
Speaker 5: All clean for her.
Speaker 1: For a moment, it seems Ollie is telling this story as if it's a relatable scenario we've all faced in our day to day jobs. I ask if he ever dreamt that one day he'd be able to brag on his CV that his skills include getting semen incrusted diamonds professionally cleaned.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I never know what stories are interesting, because everything in her life is crazy. Every day is different, and obviously being around her it becomes normal.
Speaker 1: Speaking of things that have become the new normal, Summer pulls out her phone and sees her screen flooded with Snapchat notifications about her sister.
Speaker 4: Oh there she's again.
Speaker 10: She's not even on Snapchat, so there she's again.
Speaker 1: Oh there she's again again.
Speaker 9: The whole of Snapchat is just Bonnie three five.
Speaker 5: Water Yes.
Speaker 1: As the flight attendants serve Champagne, I ignore Emma's instruction to avoid the topic of Bonnie's personal life and try inching closer to the subject, asking Summer how her sister's controversial explosion in the headlines has affected their family. With Bonnie's face flooding social media, feeds. What do her friends make of it?
Speaker 4: I don't really have many friends, so I don't really and I don't really talk about a lot with because I'm not bothered. But I'm not bothered what anyone's I'm not well what their opinions are. So and that's it's a good one. I'm not interested in knowing if it's not good.
Speaker 1: Seven a Summer and Olie say they're more concerned with the media attention Bonnie has been receiving and the backlash that has gone beyond run the mill trolling in the comment sections.
Speaker 9: She gets death threats daily, and it means when we go and do events or any sort of area where she might be exposed, we do employ security to watch her and follow her sort of highly trained professionals. It's not just like a bouncer they you know, it's ex special forces that are employed to follow her and make sure that she's okay, do a risk assessment, and make sure that she's okay wherever she goes.
Speaker 1: What's been the scariest situation that's come of all of this.
Speaker 9: So, yeah, her car being robbed, which was definitely targeted. They've been watching her and her team for days. Also when she got back from Paris, she was getting into a car with multiple Louverton bags and they put it in the boot. And then when she got in the car there was a group of lads that went and tried to like open the boot and still all.
Speaker 5: The stuff at the back.
Speaker 9: Oh, and then her phone got robbed at when she did the fresh of them. There was a lot of content that was on that phone and the lads stole it, made an instagum account saying I've got Bonnie blues phone, tried to extort her for money, which we didn't respond.
Speaker 1: To in summer as her sister like, how does hearing that kind of stuff make you feel like the dangerous situations?
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, it was pretty scary. It's a bit scary to think that some people are that bothered about someone that would go to the extremes for things to do that. I could never imagine disliking someone that much to even text someone, because then you do care. You got oh I don't care, and you say, well, then you do if you go you're texting them. It's hitting nerve. So many people have put our family address on the internet and then you see the comments and there's like hundreds of comments, and then people on, Oh, well, they don't actually live in there anymore. We do, we do, and it's not what we do. We do live there?
Speaker 7: Where?
Speaker 1: And where else do I live? Always says The sense danger intensified after Bonnie started marketing the content she was filming with eighteen year old school graduates as barely legal, a tagline that for decades has been its own genre in the porn industry, used to describe content featuring performers who are of legal age but look like teens. In its twenty fifteen report of search statistics, Pornhub, the biggest pornography website in the world, listed the teen category as the second most popular genre in the world. In recent years, the company has stopped including the categories and its annual reports. The thing is, these genres are usually centered around mature men chasing young women. When Bonnie latched on to the barely legal phrase, there was something about her brazenness, audaciousness, and maybe even arrogance that rubbed people the wrong way. She was accused by commentators of being an opportunistic predator, preying on young men whose frontal lobes weren't yet fully developed. Some even took the barely Legal tagline to mean her recruitment of young men wasn't above board. Ollie insists Bonnie's practices adhere to the rules.
Speaker 9: Her whole thing is, they have to come with an idea, They have to sign concept forms, only funds checks. You know, a billion dollar company, they check everything. Everything's eighteen plus and everything's checked. So anything to do with underage it's just wrong and not what she represents.
Speaker 1: In a way. The Barely Legal stunts that have catapulted Bonnie to notoriety are a role reversal of Girls Gone Wild, the scandalous franchise from the nineties and two thousands that capitalized on amateur exhibitionism. The phenomenon was an early precursor to today's creator economy, blurring exploitation with empowerment, where participants who signed release forms received little more than a T shirt, while founder Joe Francis amassed millions for the barely Legal boys who play with Bonnie. They don't receive a T shirt or slice of the millions of dollars that she claims to earn from the antics, but they do get bragging rights and maybe some regrets once they grow up. At the time, Girl's Gone Wild was almost viewed as a sexy, larkish punchline, not something to be taken seriously. It's only recently that the franchise and its problematic ways have been reassessed and criticized. How will Bonnie's brand of tit for tat sexual role reversal be viewed in the future. Bonnie's publicist, Emma, has her own spin.
Speaker 2: People really really hate what she does. I see that constantly, but ultimately I think, definitely from my perspective, she's not doing anything wrong. People don't like that she is capitalizing on the public appetite to hate a woman, but what she does can open up really interesting conversations about consent and why power answers can be varied. I can totally understand when people's criticism comes down to not really loving the barely legal comment. But I think that what I want from her in twenty twenty five is the opportunity to keep having conversations that make people angry but also are really useful for public discourse. Because we have such a wide audience and it's always a balance between how can we go viral on social and how can we kind of prolong her brand for ten twenty thirty years.
Speaker 1: But today, just for a moment, the team is not worrying about what will happen over the next few decades. They stretch out in their leather chairs, take selfies and talk about money.
Speaker 9: You know, obviously it's completely different from being on a private jet. We've never done that. But you know, let's see flying it used to just be economy. Now just business as normal, you know, driving cars. She has a range overt SVR. She's just bought a Ferrari.
Speaker 1: Shit. Oh no, the plane just took off and everyone's air won green juice is just spilled across the wall nut table. I'll no a UK summer, it's in your w's in your pan. As the private jet shoots up into the Californian sky, all the glamour is sucked out as Summer's air won green juice flies off the table and spills up her short black eighty dollar dress. It shouldn't come as a surprise that in the world of Bonnie Blue, you can be sprayed with all kinds of liquid at any given moment. Next time on sex lies and Streaming.
Speaker 4: Hi, ladies and gentlemen, Welcome to Las Vegas.
Speaker 5: Things for enjoying your private flight.
Speaker 8: The current temperature outside is about fifty degrees, light winds out of the north as clear skies.
Speaker 4: Enjoy your time at the Oscar Sport, and welcome to Vegas.
Speaker 1: When you're hunting someone who's made a career of exposure, what happens when they suddenly want to hide What was supposed to be an exclusive sit down interview with Bonnie Blue suddenly turns into a manhunt across America, taking me from the sunny Hollywood Hills to the neon soaked underbelly of Las Vegas, where porn stars and porn addicts mingle at the industry's biggest convention inside a desert casino. At one point, I was spending hundreds a week on different platforms, subscribeing to this, subscribe to that. Glad, how much were you spending in a week that is worse? Yeah, three hundred pounds a week. Can you make anything sound sexy when you use that voice?
Speaker 7: Oh for sure?
Speaker 1: Can you say I need to go get my Nissan patrol service, and then I need to go to the supermarket to pick up milk. I'm going to take my car go for a service.
Speaker 9: You know what I mean, I've repaid like two hundred bucks to send a guy a video of me just voting on camera.
Speaker 11: I had to tell the fan that it's incredibly inappropriate to call my room. And secondly, you know, say, I'm so sorry, but we're not in a relationship and you've been speaking to a catfish for many months.
Speaker 1: It's here where I unknowingly parachute into the middle of a war with Bonnie's army of enemies on one side and her legion of young copycats on the other, all desperately trying to crack the code of Internet infamy and get rich quick by gambling their sexuality.
Speaker 10: You gotta be careful, you know, because it can backfire. Your story better be real, because all ittics is one person to find out it's not, and the dominoes will fall.
Speaker 7: I own over one thousand pounds an hour. I'm the one with the most fews. I'm the one that goes rivate all the time.
Speaker 1: It's nearing midnight and Bonnie emerges from the theater after the annual Pawn Awards. Her arms are crossed, her team's lacking energy, and kay, oh hi, it seemed disappointed to see me.
Speaker 2: Oh Isn't wanted to see you?
Speaker 1: Why what happened inside? That's next time on sex Lies and streaming. Take it to.
Speaker 5: Hey kushat concessive.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening. You can read more from me on news dot com dot a U and find me on Facebook if you want to let me know your thoughts about this series. This show was written and hosted by me. My executive producer is Nina Young. Sound design and editing by Tiffany Dinnak. Additional production assistant by Phoebe Zakowski Wallace. A big thanks to Carrie Warren, the editor of news dot com dot a U, for her support for the show.