Speaker 1: Hello, Hello, Hello to you, when you, when you, oh, when there's you, it's mell, it's monkey. Hello today, welcome to Show and Tell podcast.
Speaker 2: I wonder how many of you there are listening.
Speaker 1: I know, well there's quite a few of you and growing, so thank you. And if you do enjoy our podcast, share it with you buddies. That is the best thing you can do for us. We just love when you do that, so thank you. But anyway, thanks for listening in today. I just wanted to start off Melissa by saying, the other day we did a podcast. It was a Lucky Dip episode on nicknames. You went into a deep dive into Reddit, which you always do, and we were like, oh my god, these people got their nicknames. It's so funny. And I said to you guys, if you've got one, hit us up and let us know your funny nicknames and some good ones who've come through. So I thought I'd bet you know, all right, my cousin's been married three times, so we've nicknamed him Lord of the Rings. Good. That's very good. Okay, Hey, I listen to your podcast this morning. I mean I always do. And I went to school with an unfortunate boy whose name was Michael Litterus, which was shortened to Mike, so Mike Litterus. So his nickname was clit or Glitteris that's that?
Speaker 2: Those parents? What the fuck were they? I know, I know, okay, drunk?
Speaker 1: Yeah, seriously, I knew a guy whose surname was Rout. His nickname was liquor licker out. Oh that's a blast from.
Speaker 2: The past, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Oh shit, it's so good. And then just on a side note, somebody had an embarras for no reason, which I loved, which is so true. Getting in an elevator when there are other people in it, Oh.
Speaker 2: That is embarrassing, number, you know what. And it's also do you say hello? Do you just smile? And then you just you know, when it's a real packed one too, you sort of stand there or just look down on the ground because you look at any way, and because you're also people like if it's a packed one, you're like, you can tell if you get in and people got to shuffle back, they're annoyed, like or do I wait for the next one which is going to take ages?
Speaker 1: Or do I just make you all shuffle back? It's so unpleasant. And then just inhaling each other's breath.
Speaker 2: Someone's always eaten garlic.
Speaker 1: So funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was thinking about this the other day. You know how I love to bring a segment, a new segment in.
Speaker 1: I get I've got a new segment idea, and it happens once.
Speaker 2: Yes, well this one did happen once, oh of course. But I'm bringing it back because I thought I've actual We've got a lot of content for this one, because there's a lot of things I don't like. And if you're a long time listener, you might remember we called it things I Ate Hate like pig Latin things I hate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, great, jeez, we could just that's all. That's what our podcast should be called.
Speaker 2: That's a never ending that's a never ending segment. Anyway. The thing I ate hate at the moment is this manifesting ah, and I feel like I sound like just a cynical old person, right, But the thing I hate about it most is when it is someone who is in a privileged position, who may be married very well or maybe was born into money, and they are going on about how they manifested this incredible life for themselves that is not true and also just the idea of manifesting to me, is just another way of saying setting your goals. It's all it is because yes.
Speaker 1: I don't know, because sorry, continue.
Speaker 2: Because it's like the idea of a vision board. Yes, right, do a vision board of all the things you want, and then you put it somewhere you'll see all the time. That's just a visual reminder to work towards the things that you want. I don't think there's any special sparkle dust in the universe that's going to bring it to you. I think it's just you look and say I want that body, that sort of person, that house, whatever, and every day you look at it, it's a reminder that's what I'm looking for, that's what I.
Speaker 1: Want focuses on. So it's like when you want to get a new car and you know the car you want, you always see that car on the road. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think they're just prompts to remind you to go for your goal. Say you want abs and you've got a picture of I don't know someone who's got great abs on your vision for that's a reminder go to the gym because that's what I want.
Speaker 1: Because you're not just going to wake up in the abs of there. Here's the thing. Years and years ago, when I was in Aubrey, like doing my radio apprenticeship, I call it, I got obsessed with the Secret and I loved it. I watched it several times, I read the book and I would secret the shit out of things, to the point that my friends would be like, oh my god, you are secreting everything, right, Yes, And it was from a car park to the job I wanted to everything. I felt like, fuck, I'm a really powerful manifesto. And then chronic health set in and I was like, I can manifest everything I want, but chronic my chronic help to go away. But I it gave me purpose, if you know what I mean in terms of going, Oh this is what I really want. So in terms of going, I got the job that I wanted. And when I say I manifested it, I worked my fucking ass off for it, you know what I mean. So that's I get it. But I do think that there is like you can't just go, oh, this is what I want and then I'm gonna because you know how, it's like what you think about you bring about, which is only true if you actively working towards it. That's right, I mean like I can sit and think, oh, I want to get abs. I want to get abs, and never get off the couch. You're not getting abs. But if you think about it and you take the action, of course, it's going to be more likely that it's going to happen. So it's manifesting bullshit probably, but I like to believe it is a bit true.
Speaker 2: And the idea is nice. I get it. And sometimes it's just the motivation. Like watch I watch The Secret, I thought the same thing.
Speaker 3: I'm on.
Speaker 2: I will get on any fucking bandwagon going like I'm a real serial bandwagoner. But sometimes it's just having the inspiration to want to do it or something. It's such a stupid example, but like when I have to clean my house and I really don't want to because I hate cleaning. Sometimes I'll watch a YouTube video or something of someone cleaning with cleaning hacks or whatever, and I'm like, oh, I might try that, and it makes me feel like I want to do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it motivates you to do it.
Speaker 2: It's just the motivation behind it. Hate thing is these people that live in these very privileged lives, like see this. You can manifest all this too. Buy my seven hundred dollars a week course and all tell you the secrets, and I'm like, the secret is suck someone rich, make them fall in love with you, or alternatively, work very hard yourself and make your own wealth. Yea, the stars aren't going to bring it to you unless it's you marry a star, and then that's different. That was very negative. No, it's not.
Speaker 1: It's not. I do because when you do break down what manifesting it is putting up, you know, just putting a Basically, pictures are putting up reminders, putting things around in your world that help you to attract what it is that you want. But the attraction is you've actively got to be working towards that. You just sit there and let it come to you. But maybe it is a different way of easier goals. Go get your goals.
Speaker 2: Have you ever tried doing those affirmations?
Speaker 1: What ones like?
Speaker 2: You know, they say do affirmation So in the morning you get up and you look at yourself in the mirror and you say things like I am beautiful, I am strong, I am powerful. I that oh I did lasted thirty seconds. I could not do it. I got up in the morning and you know, like everyone looks shit in the morning and looking myself in the mirror and going you are beautiful, and I'm like, fucking bullshit.
Speaker 1: Nah, I have idea a lot like people friends got her daughter who does it in the mirror and stuff. I think it's very cute to do that. You gotta start him young, you gotta start a good Yeah. But I couldn't stand in the mirror and seriously say you are powerful, you are strong.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, self talk would do better for us to self be nicer to ourselves. So I'm the biggest asshole to myself, Like I'm at such a fucking mole to myself.
Speaker 2: Imagine people here the ship that you say to yourself.
Speaker 1: Imagine they could hear the ship you say to yourself and also to your thoughts about other people. My f I'd be so oh my god, oh my god.
Speaker 2: I would have no anybody lonely. I would be the old woman who lived in a shoe. That's who I'd be.
Speaker 1: But didn't she have a lot of kids?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I mean maybe she didn't like them.
Speaker 1: My kids wouldn't be Oh my god, my kids would be the first one to go You're an actual asshole. Mom, it's just a thought. They just see. They're just like leaves on a river. You watch them go by, Let them flow, Let them flow. So last week, because we hadn't caught up when Liam Payne had died, this morning I'm like, hey, let's talk about Nile dying. And you're like it was lamb.
Speaker 2: Yes, very sad. My daughter sent me a text from school and she loves One Direction.
Speaker 1: She really, yeah, to love One Direction.
Speaker 2: I think they're one of those bands that just keep going on, right, you know. And she goes to a girls' school, so she was like, they were doing the year twelve mass that day and she's like, they're trying to do a minute silence for him, a mass. Like everyone was devastated and we remember there's always someone you know that we remember when we were kids that died.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like your River Phoenix and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Theirs will be this, Oh my god, River Phoenix. You know, in a few days it'll be thirty years Phoenix died. Yes, I'm lying, No, thirty one years. Wow, I'm sure he died in ninety three.
Speaker 1: Oh wow. Yeah, that's so long, isn't it. I know, I know, weird when you get to the point where you're dead longer than you're alive.
Speaker 2: Oh I know.
Speaker 1: Yes, so so sad. And it's always a shock. Like I was sitting having coffee with a friend. She's like, oh my god, in Pains died and then it's all unraveled, just how hideous the whole situation is and everything like that. But it's always a shock. On a side note, I vowed the book that lidsa Marie Presley book, Oh did you uck? Oh? Oh my god. It is recommend I couldn't recommend it higher. Like it's written really badly, and it's sometimes hard to follow because they kind of jump around a little bit. And also it goes from Lisa Marie to Riley writing and it changes the font a little bit. And now I was reading it at night and so my eyes are not very good. So sometimes I would go, oh, no, that's Riley, that's list R. But you can pick it up pretty quickly. A friend's mum's like, it's so confusing, I can't tell who to I'm like, well, the font is different, but they I didn't realize when Elvis died, they let put his body in the house and people it was like a public the public could come through and see his body. Did you know that.
Speaker 2: I didn't. I had heard that they kept the body in the house for a certain amount of time. Yeah.
Speaker 1: At Graceland and Lisa Marie was sitting there at the bottom of the stairs and said it was the house was full of people, and she said it was so strange watching other people grieve, and she would just sit there and watch. And she said, literally, there was not a spare spot in the street. The whole street was full of people who would just coming through the house to have a look at Elvis's dead body.
Speaker 2: Again, this is going to sound insensitive. I wouldn't line up like that for anything.
Speaker 1: Oh, Wood, down the street, down the street. We're so voyeuristic, though, aren't we, Because you go, I don't want to get into Elvis's house, but I get to see the dead body of Elvis.
Speaker 2: Listen if abe. I would for anyone who has seen a dead body, it's not something you know, like that idea of like open caskets and stuff.
Speaker 1: They are hideous to me.
Speaker 2: I'm very very solid on the fact I don't want that. I don't want anyone seeing me like that.
Speaker 1: I would terrify me. I've always That's been one of my fears about fear.
Speaker 2: Its like did you not see your mum?
Speaker 1: No? I didn't. I really know. I didn't see my mom. I didn't want to go in there. My sister went in there and she passed away at home, but I stopped going into the room. Probably about three days before Mom passed. I didn't go back into the room because I'm just like, that's not my mom anymore. Yeah, like she just it's looked very different, and it's very clear, I reckon from the second they go no way that it's just it's clear there is a shift that they are not there anymore.
Speaker 2: Really, so it is immediate. But also when they've been embalmed and you see them, it's it's like a wax figure. And when it's someone that you really love, it's like looking at them like this is almost like a caricature of who they were. It's fucked. Yeah, sorry, a hijack your story.
Speaker 1: So did your dad have an open casket?
Speaker 2: No, oh my god, he would have hated that.
Speaker 1: But if you went and saw him, like did you see him at the hospital.
Speaker 2: Well, we were there, and then you have to wait for, you know, people to come and sign off and all that stuff. So it was probably a couple of hours that we sat there with him. But then at the funeral place where they had him just close close, immediate people who were actually in his life came and saw him. Yeah, we did that.
Speaker 1: At my NaN's as well, where you could like she was there in another room, so if you wanted to go in and see it. But I'm like, I just don't want to see her. And I said to my uncle, you know, how did she look? And he said she looked good, but he said that they've kind of done her mouth in a like positioned her mouth in a different way. And he's like, so she looked a little bit most angry, and Nam was never angry, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: It looks like her, but not it's not them. It's not them. But then there's also that feeling but you want to just one last seeing them sort of thing. And for a little kid of that age like Lisa Marie Pressley I.
Speaker 1: Think she was nine, and she was like it just yeah, just full onugh yeah. No.
Speaker 2: Well, going back to Liam Payne, right, as happens when someone dies, all these tributes pour in. People are writing the most beautiful things about him, and I was thinking about how when someone dies, you forget the shitty stuff, you forget their shortcomings, they you just talk about what you loved about them, the amazing things about them that we don't do in life, which we should totally. But I was thinking about this idea of living funerals, and I think it's gaining a little bit of popularity. But it's like I was saying the other night, I want to hear that stuff, like it's too late when I die.
Speaker 1: I've always had this thing that I'm like, I wish that we all died on like our eighty third birthday. The night before you had everyone there and they can tell you what they would say your funeral, so then you hear it and then the next morning you just die. Well, this is a possibility for people. I mean we're talking about obviously, people who have.
Speaker 2: A terminal illness where they know that, you know, they have a finite amount of time left. But I read this article that was in The Guardian back in January and it said this is the quote. It says, living funerals, which are also known as pre funerals, offer a chance for people to say goodbye to their friends and family on their own terms and to celebrate their life while they're still alive. It's not an entirely new concept. Living funerals started gaining popularity in Japan in the nineteen nineties, and they're known as I'm probably going to mispronounce this, but say zenzo, which means funeral while living, with the idea that it would take the pressure of family members or friends organizing a funeral after someone had died. The practice has also taken off in South Korea. In twenty nineteen, twenty five thousand people took part in a mass living funeral to face their mortality and embrace living m I love that idea. I love the thought of it being invitation only, like a birthday party.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, Why.
Speaker 2: Does they do it?
Speaker 1: Then you can do it?
Speaker 2: Oh well, I mean like if I get an illness and no I'm going to die, I'll do it. It would be insincere to.
Speaker 1: Do Yeah, it would be weird to do it. Now. Imagine you did it now, Like, that's so narcissistic. Everyone, come over, You're invited to say something about me while I'm alive. I want to take it in.
Speaker 2: Oh no, you couldn't. You couldn't do it now. But I do always have this sense I'm going to go early.
Speaker 1: Really, yeah, I do.
Speaker 2: I do. And I'm like, I always try, and I think it's important to talk about stuff that you want. So I'm always trying to talk to Mark about it. Like I don't want to be cremated. The thought of being buried seems lonely, but that's probably the only option. Yes, And I'm like, we have to talk about that stuff. Doesn't like to talk about it. I don't have to talk about it.
Speaker 1: You have to.
Speaker 2: And I found the greatest funeral song ever. Okay, you'll know this song. You may not know the actual words because it's in another language, but I probably imagine this, imagine this.
Speaker 3: No no.
Speaker 1: Na milam.
Speaker 2: Also reminds me of a copyad.
Speaker 1: Is it Italian?
Speaker 2: No, it's French edith p f right?
Speaker 1: And what is she singing about?
Speaker 2: Okay? The lyrics are No, I do not regret anything, neither the good people have done to me nor the bad. It's all the same to me, No, nothing at all. No, I do not regret anything paid for, swept away, forgotten. I do not care about the past with my memories. I lit the fire my troubles my pleasures. I do not need them anymore. The lovers are all swept away and all of their drama swept away forever. I am starting from scratch.
Speaker 1: Oh I love it? Can I have it too?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can have it too?
Speaker 1: Of course she canks. I like that. They'd be like, if Monty would ever play this song, you can't even speak French.
Speaker 2: I'm also like, oh no, but like I'm sure I'm gonna die with heaps and regrets.
Speaker 1: Oh and I also was like, I leave everything behind now. I still fucking hate most of you. So my friend and I used to say we're going to sing at each other's funeral and I'm I said, okay, well I want you to sing Lightning Crashes?
Speaker 2: Is this abby?
Speaker 1: Abby? Yeah? Make me crashes? And she's like, okay, well you have to sing this one for me at her funeral. Stand up in front of everyone. It's Christina Aguileras.
Speaker 3: Live today, slowly drifty into a peaceful beat, concerns list my memory.
Speaker 2: That would also be such a good like would allow for some humor too, because you'd be so shit.
Speaker 1: But you'll be laughing so shit. Could you imagine?
Speaker 2: But imagine the celebrant getting up and he's like okay. So to finish off, we have Katie Diamond who'd like to get up, and.
Speaker 1: I'll go, no, Monty, I'm famous as Monty. They don't know me.
Speaker 2: Ask and everyone's expecting this unbelievable powerhouse performance. And it's so shit.
Speaker 1: Because there's a live band too. And I just look at the live band and give them the nod, so I look really fucking in control.
Speaker 2: I mean, that does need a choiet behind it the start, bitch, I'm.
Speaker 1: We get a quiet, amazing yeah.
Speaker 3: Uly band today every on we don't know the song.
Speaker 2: I feel like maybe that's one for the wake afterwards when you're about like three three glasses in yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh, come on, everybody, come on me along? So good. All right, let's get out here, y'all. Thanks for listening. Please share our podcast with a friend of yours. We love it when you share, or you write a little like what are they called mal review? Review comment, give us a rating. Also some news in Show and Tell Land Brooke and I are going to start doing a podcast together, but we thought we'll start every couple of weeks at the moment and we'll just have a chat but also talk about chronic health stuff. Because when we did that podcast a while ago, it resonated with so many of you, and so we thought, well, why don't we just make it a regular thing. So we'll be doing that really soon as well. And that's great because on that podcast, I don't have to look at mals only.
Speaker 3: Face so rare.
Speaker 2: However, Book has a delightful face and just a delightful energy, a delightful she's you know what I said to her once, It's so true. She's like human sunshine.
Speaker 1: She's human sunshine. There's not many people like that have a real energy when they walk into a room and make you feel really good, like she does that for everyone walks in and she makes you feel like the most special person, and then you see you do it to the next person, and you're like, oh, I'm not that special. Fast all right, love y'all, thank you, Love you.