Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the Daily Telegraph NRL podcast. I'm Michael carry On with David Rickett matin Karnation Boys. No, Brent Reed, he's licking his lips. I'll take on Queenslander because that was one of the greatest games of football I've ever witnessed. How good was to day?
Speaker 2: It was unreal Mickey Maddie, I've got ice packs on my knees.
Speaker 1: Joking.
Speaker 2: It was extraordinary, Like the ferocity, the intensity and the length of that. Yeah, usually you know would last fifteen minutes, twenty minutes. He just kept coming. There would be some sick and sore boys today and it's gonna be fascinating to see who backs up this weekend. And also guys, you know, look, we'll wax lyrical about the Blues, but from a Queensland point of view too, Like you know, players like Pat Carrigan who was called out by Parker, is someone to stand up like I just saw Carrigan. Like, if he backs up for the Broncos against Newcastle this, we're going to be phenomenal. He just kept coming. Every carry was brutal and every hit was brutal from Carrigan. I thought he did a good job for Queensland, but it's all about.
Speaker 1: The Blues, Mick. It's awesome, Maddie. Elviously it dispelled one of the myths that you need a high scoring game for it to be exciting and entertaining. Yeah, yeah, thanks for the call up. Nineteenth man.
Speaker 3: I've run from my desk over there, not as far as Homoli, but yeah, I was one of those games where you thought, is it going to happen?
Speaker 1: Are we going to have like a three.
Speaker 3: To two, a four to two score line, one for the one for the Purists, But yeah, obviously just a couple of moments there for the Blues and that was the difference in the end.
Speaker 1: I was hoping for a new Law score line at halftime because it was just remarkable, Like I loved what Queensident we hadble to we stand in that opening forty minutes had me worried, yeah, going into the halftime break because the Blues had all the bore, all the territory and still trailed at the halftime pray. But this new South Wales side had an edge, had a composure, had composure about him and even dated as far back as to Game one where you know it was that ten minute period after saw Lei he got sent off that they just struggled to adjust. But after that they found their rhythm and didn't look too far off the pace. And we saw what they did in Melbourne and then what they were able to do last night. It was truly one of the meat the remarkable performances. Queensland obviously shattered with the loss, but it wasn't like Melbourne where you know, they didn't rock up to Melbourne and put in the effort required. Either side would have been left heartbroken. But Dave, what was what was the moment for you last night? You know what?
Speaker 2: Because I was thinking about this this morning driving to the office this morning, about one like I see two sides to it.
Speaker 1: I see a Queensland side that were down.
Speaker 2: On troops like Tino for Sumi, Tommy Gilbert, Xavier Coats, Thomas Flegler, like they were big outs for Queensland right. But at the same time I feel as though we've seen a genuine shift in mentality from a new South Wales side that has will go a long way to killing off the aura of the Maroons. And what I mean by that is that to do that, to do the last night's performance up at the cauldroom in the face of such ferocity. They now know when their backs are against the wall in the future that they can come through. And you go back to the Origin one game one when they were down to twelve men. The Maroons should have done what the New South Wales so I did in game two to them.
Speaker 1: They should have won by fifty.
Speaker 2: But there was a resolve to this New South Wales team from game one which carried through to the annihilation of Origin two and again I speak about I just wonder if they've broken they've come through the wall. They've smashed down the Queensland wall, of which could be harder for Queensland to rebuild than the momentum now behind New South Wales going forward.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think like we're going to sit here and say this is the start of a long run. But the fact that they've been able to go do it in Queensland's backyard to win it decideer obviously get the monkey off the bat because this plane group hadn't seen it. Some of them hadn't even watched it because there it was that long ago forum. So you know New Soub I was down on trips to no clearing, No travoy bitch would have been walk up starts the trail obviously in game one and Game three, so two big outs for them, But it was they just got out muscled Queensland. They did, and you know, we look at but that's something we haven't been able to say in a long time.
Speaker 2: I go to next year's series and this Blues team, surely it's going to it'll be different in some areas, but they walk into camp next series going we can do anything.
Speaker 1: Queensland, don't get bullied. If Tino's there, Fleggler's there, maybe maybe Gilbert's there. Like that helps, right, because like Felice Confusi is a shadow of the former player of the player that he was, yeah right, And how many minutes did he play it last night? You can't tell me that they got that right right. Didn't get back on They didn't get back on right, They didn't get that yeah, yeah, no.
Speaker 2: It was just eighteen minutes, seventeen minutes, Stint and all along the boys, all along. My mail in relation to the discussion around bringing Josh Babali back, was to do that exact role.
Speaker 1: It was always just.
Speaker 2: Going to be come on and do your best for fifteen minutes and Slater it was a little bit different.
Speaker 1: Was your quarter to start, wasn't it? Dave called to start CAFUSI.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, well yeah, I thought it would have a greater impact than that it was.
Speaker 1: I just don't think for the least now out his age and stage of his career is feared like he once was. Obviously, look at it. Look at Mitch Barnett, the way he came on and out muscled. That's what they were looking for. Queensland were looking for their version of Mitch Barnett, and with all those players, they just don't have it. And then that's been that issue. Kargan was outstanding, like so many good players. But I think Harry Grant didn't have a great origin series, you know, I think he fell away a little bit and I felt like Ben Hunt showed his age a little bit too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's to be undersstandable at a game of such ferocity.
Speaker 1: Mirix Robson was the best dummy half out there. He was you know by what the Australian number nine. Well, that's that's a conversation they're going to have to have because obviously males January generally gone with the Hunt Grant combination of late as well. But you know, Reece Robson was the dummy half of the Origin series and was outstanding last night. Would have gone quite to get him out of the match. From mind, you can't. Look, it was hard to want a bad player for New South Wales, but if Reith Robson had walked away with that award, I wouldn't have had. And that was a big selection by Michael McGuire because a lot of us been included, were calling for Happy to be in the side, but he backed recent. Look you look at the squad that Michael mcguie picked and Game one that wasn't his desired side. We all know that right That wasn't the team that he wanted to pick, but because of injuries, because of suspensions, because of a range of unavailabilities, he was sort of lump with that team. But Game two was much more of his team and it just proved dividends. What does this mean for Michael McGuire now? Made he going forward?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm glad Dave that you brought up game one because I was thinking, yes, they was such a long build up. I was just thinking about the biggest point so far in origin, and I think it was that forty to fifty minutes after Swally came off where Queensland should have.
Speaker 1: Put the bleachers through the Blues but they didn't.
Speaker 3: And it just last night, it just showed that because they had so much bore, so much territory, and you just thought, geez, they're going to fold here at some point, They're going to be really frustrated, especially Mitch being such an emotional kind of player. I thought that they and Jerome I thought they might have kind of caved in, but they didn't, and they both delivered the key moments when Queensland normally do so. I think as far as Mage's performance, I think that was the biggest thing that he The biggest thing he brought to the Blues was that mentality that he changed for that team.
Speaker 1: What does it mean for in terms of an RL prospects, Dave.
Speaker 2: I just think that I think it increases his appeal. You don't you can't deny that he was damaged goods after the West Tigers.
Speaker 1: Disaster.
Speaker 2: Right then he goes and coaches the Kiwi's to a most historic win over the Kangaroos, and everywhere I went, well, that's a job world done. But at the end of the day, and like it or not, the state of origin is still held in higher regard than test match footy and for Madge to come in with a with his own with his own way forward for the state of which, to be fair, Madge has had nothing to do with state of origin. But he his groundwork. I'm talking from day the day he got appointed late last year. The groundwork of understanding origin and latching onto a belief system by talking to that many former New South Wales players was extraordinary. And the Blue Mountains going away there guys like that was a lot of people were bagging it straight away, Like who goes to the Blue Mountains in winter to prepare?
Speaker 1: Definitely not me. I didn't make it to prepare for the biggest game of the year. It's it's unheard of. But he did it.
Speaker 2: He would I'd ring him and he'd be driving up the mountains to go and meet with the owner of the Lua Hotel of whether Blue state. This was prior to Christmas, you know, and he's far yeah, so he like he deserves a lot of credit. The original question Mick was, I just think his appeal grows and there will be a club that I have a window of opportunity to go and win a camp that will make moves on their current coach to get match.
Speaker 1: That's my point. I'm looking at Michael maguire now and we've seen it. He is a premiership window coach. I'm not buying him if I'm bottom, I'm not signing him. If I'm bottom forward it's going to take has proven that, right. I think he's shown that for a he can get the best out of elite players, right, he can he can get them to that next level. We've seen it, say in Wigan, and we saw it at South We've seen it with New Zealand now we've seen it with New South Wales. That's not a fluke, right. So if I'm a club on the bottom of the ladder trying to rebuild, that's going to take a bit of time. I'm not going with clubs suit anyone that you think that could win a premiership, any of them, you know, Like if the pressure mounts on Kevy, I think he'd be perfect for that team. It's good ship, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: A lot of critics, there's a lot of critics of Paramatta for not getting rid of Brad earlier than they did.
Speaker 1: But if I'm Paramatta, I still wouldn't have gone Michael maguire. I just I just don't think. I don't think Ross is ready. I just don't think it's it's it's it's an aging sort of side, and it's gonna it's going to take a little bit more work. I don't think even if Michael McGuire that's my pick. Like I just I wouldn't have gone there for Michael McGuire. But when we start looking at Cowboys was the other one I was going to toss up. You start looking at these sizes and you go this roster, what about post Bellamy? For sure? For sure, all all those sides right, but you know he's never gonna get back to the Tigers. But if I'm not signing Michael McGuire, if I'm the tyger, I forget of what's obviously going on there here where you're coming from already made roster, the house would have been all right for it, you know, like that one of those clubs where you can parachute in three years for years matter and then he's got to do. It's very similar to what Wayne Bennett does. It doesn't last long, but it match jumped straight away after what he's built. If I think he does next year's series me I think if a job became available now, the fact that he's got Origin out of the way and it was a job like some of those clubs we mentioned. Look, I don't think any coaches getting sacked right between now and you know, look at like you know if there's been talking around Anthony Seaboard Meinly's a perfect roster for him, you know, like that's that's where I'm talking Guys that I think that could finish in the top four next year if one of those jobs become available, that's who I'd be trying to leave a sour taste in my mouth. If Madge's after one one campaign, have given what he's built already, he's done. It's taken it so long to build, to build this Blues team. I think he's invested now. I think he ses at least next year's series out. I don't know. I think if if one of those jobs becomes available and he thinks that he can win a premiership at one of those classes, yeah, he's got mad not to take. I want to be critical he wants to coach the Yeah, he's made that clear, but for mine only that topic. I did like how he resisted the paramounta move. Yeah throughout, Like I know there was some criticism around, I wouldn't have cared if he went for the Paramatta job outside of Origin camp. At the end of the Searon, I.
Speaker 2: Thought it was a powerful state of which speaks to the belief within this current Blues system.
Speaker 1: I think he's I think he's shown that with elite players he can get that last bit of lemon that you know, squeeze out lemon really drawn. So I think he's perfect for Origin and he can stay there for the next five years. I've got no issue with that either, because you know, Madge is intense. But I've far more enjoyed Origin Madge than an Iroll Madge. He's been a lot more fun to to. He's just this maneuvered him out like away from the coach. Coach costrollers more than just But that's what I'm trying to emphasize. It's like it's the package. I agree, you know, and it's for the first time really has looked rather at it and it's you know, Billy, it's simple. I'm drawing comparisons to Brad Fitler. Right where Brad Fhitler started and everything was roady for the first couple of years. He couldn't he couldn't make a bad selection. Everything he touch turned to gold and then Freddy as the time went on and those around him stiffened up, right, they got a bit more intent, they got a bit more short with the media and things like that, and you know, I think Billy's just got to be mindful of that, that he just doesn't go too far the other way now. And there's no disgrace in losing this series for Queensland. There's no disgrace in that performance last night. You know, Melbourne was terrible for him. But what did you make of the melay?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've got some big questions about Cam Murray, whether he should have been sent off or not, because, like I watched, we haven't seen it too much in rugby league, but I watch a.
Speaker 1: Lot of NBA, and whenever there's a melee in the NBA.
Speaker 3: The first thing that you see benches being held back, you can't get on otherwise you'll just get kicked out.
Speaker 1: And I just thought for sure Cam Murray would have been sent off Dave. If that was the lrsel on a Saturday or a Sunday that players getting a season band.
Speaker 2: Well he's sent off immediately. And I had this discussion with the NRL last night while I was working on the story about what's the code of conduct rules is? And there's no delay in it, definitive definitive ruling. It's always on the discretion of the match referee, which I found interesting given that both in the Queensland Rugby League Junior system and the new South Wales Rugby League Junior system it is clear in their code of conducts and he's openly declared that should any player become involved from the interchange bench in a mala situation.
Speaker 1: It's an immediate sendoff. Yeah, so it's a little bit age forty, they're gone. It's a bit of contradiction there. I get it.
Speaker 2: We treat the NRL differently in a vast number of different rulings compared to junior league.
Speaker 1: I get that, but.
Speaker 2: We're talking about a pretty much a black and white situation. Clearing your bench to get involved.
Speaker 1: With the melee. That's that's that's a bit as simple as that. What's the rule? Also might the only one that heard USh say I'm going to send him off. Yeah, but I did read Dave's copy this morning and the only thing that say there's multiple layers to it. Right. Obviously Cam sees Bryan Toss surrounded by ten Queenslanders, right because the Queensland bench is there and like, so his instinct is to protect his teammate who's dead set surrounded. Right. The second thing is he doesn't throw a punch. Yeah, So I think that saves him from getting sent off. Yeah. I think you know he's in there more as protection than to insights. So I still think you need a black and white ruling around him. Reference. I think if you threw a punch, he was gone, like sent off gone and there's no case.
Speaker 2: So here's the thing, Like there couldn't have been more bodies in and around that Malee. And how can you be absolutely certain that Murray's involvement wasn't something more severe when you when it's the match referee has to make the call, it's the match referee's decision.
Speaker 1: It should be a black and white rule. Mean, I don't know, I don't know. I think if he got sent off for that, I don't want him to be said I don't like it. I don't. I don't. I'm not calling it, but you can't. But look look who Reuben koit does. He throws Bryan tight into a chair. He actually throws him into a chair. Yeah, that's far more dangerous than any encounter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no doubt no. Like I just I think it should be a black and white ruling.
Speaker 1: I think they got it. I think they got it right. If can't murray throw it through a punch, even a slap or whatever the case may be for mine send off.
Speaker 3: So if you think they've got it right, do you think he should be not have the two three weeks?
Speaker 1: You need a suspension, you need it's unfortunate for South.
Speaker 2: See I don't understand that. I don't understand how you can say, well, Sinbin's fine for two three weeks, but two now he serves two to three weeks out is also fine.
Speaker 1: But there's got to be a there is a severe punishment for being involved off the bench, right and if he if he gets sent if he got sent off for that, I just think and it's not the referees' job to worry about the spectacle or anything like that. They just got officiate by the rules. I think they they've got it right. It is harsh. Two games is harsh. Two games and Homolia. It's harsh for Manly who needs to win. And you know, Tourny mesher Off the CEO and Blake Solid the respective CEO of been on the phone and Andrew Abdo filthy with the fact that they've been their club is going to be punished. And it's two years now that Manly had been punished for Origin. They lost Tom Travoyvridge for a season the rest of the season last year in Origin camp and I'm still filthy at that. Now they've got a guy that's not even playing and they met Homoli did the wrong thing. He's not the wrong thing to even like he's Homoli has done something worse than Camp.
Speaker 2: Murray for those two CEOs suggesting any other recourse.
Speaker 1: Well with Mester of this morning and he's of the opinion that homolog should serve it during Origin next year, which I don't know. I get the premise of it. I just don't know how you do that. What happens if the bloke's retiring Super League? What if he doesn't get pick there's you know it can work at the start of the series for game one, but how you officiate that for game three is hard. But I get the frustration about any other REP game. I don't know I made potentially, you know what I mean, what if they're going to the super League? Yeah, you know what if it's Luke Keary, we know there's going to the super League and you know played origin. You know, whatever the case may be, or.
Speaker 2: As Felice retire, you can probably put parameters around it about impacting the player but not his club.
Speaker 1: So if you actually have the super League part of it, I guess, you know what I mean? Yeah, yeah, I guess. I guess. But then now they're getting pedal in the country. I don't know. It's I don't know. I get. I understand merely in South frustration. Yeah, for sure. I just don't have a better solution, bigger fine. Yeah, eventually any.
Speaker 2: Other every other REP game broadened and broadens it beyond state of origin.
Speaker 1: It makes sense in theory, right, Yeah, But I just don't.
Speaker 3: We've just been fine with Camo being sent off, but the Blues keeping or thirteen men.
Speaker 1: No when that doesn't work, No, you can't because he wasn't on the field. No, No, if you sent off yourself off.
Speaker 2: No, we went down this path with Suley in that spectacle. I don't Yeah, don't take me down this rabbit hole again.
Speaker 1: There's different circumstances, right, I think that's what Matts, alluding to the fact that he was and on the field a little bit confused the fact that you could nominate a player.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you hear what happened there, So that the stats guy up in the Blues box, Madge yelled out in the Blues by who's been out there the longest, who's made the most tackles? Who's made the most And they went, Mitch, get him off.
Speaker 1: Funny they on in the first couple of minutes because of the angers cried in situation. Yeah, I don't know. I don't. I don't know the solution to that. Do you boys have a Maddie, do you have a solution to blokes missing club footy off the back of origin? I think a bigger flye in the pocket?
Speaker 2: Well, I think I think MADD's probably right. I mean, no player likes losing their cash and if you whack them hard, I.
Speaker 1: Have Ribben doesn't has not been suspended for throwing Bryant into a chair, like that's far worse than anything about that. No, I've just not Yeah, but don't you think you think that's dangerous.
Speaker 3: But that doesn't say bigger fine, doesn't hurt a club if that's what we're if that's the goal here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I still think there's got to be a parameter for and this hasn't happened in this instance, but for the fact if someone comes in and blatantly commits an act of foul play on purpose, like I doubt we'll see it, but they've still got to be that parameter for the NROL to rub that player out for a long long time. It effects, but like a proper like on purpose elbow or something in the ground that was amped up. He didn't do that on purpose, right, Like I mean like a distinct someone punched someone's on the ground, you know, like something where you go, well, that's that's way across the lines. I don't know. I can understand they're frustrations, But could you imagine if the na L could bottle that eighty minutes and take it to Vegas. I was thinking about that last night me and you know what, I hear what you're saying. I'm not saying take origin there. I'm just saying in a pipe dream, well yeah, if you could. Well, I was thinking about it.
Speaker 2: I was thinking, how can this game that it was done before I'm watching unfolded before my eyes, just unbelievable brutality.
Speaker 1: How can we take this to the world stage? It is the best, But you know what, the catches on planet Earth?
Speaker 2: Sun cale helps, Yeah, create the atmosphere, and that's the key.
Speaker 1: This has been the pet of Landy's point is that if they can somehow just get eyebores onto the game consistently, people will love it. And you know, like anyone that doesn't love rugby league, something's wrong with you. Yes, like how could you not enjoy minutes chechnical any other watches AFL instead of rugby league. You were dribblers because there is no way that spectacle even comes close to what we were winning last night. And it wasn't about fighting, it wasn't about tries, it wasn't about all these cliche things that apparently makes rugby league great. It was to end action of blokes going at one hundred miles an hour for eighty minutes, putting their bodies on the line. No, we didn't lose a plate on Hia. You know what I mean. Last six again, it was just an amazing spectacle, except for the fact that Queens and were allowed to all asleep on the ruck. But what it gave what an origin series? What don't to Michael McGuire and and you know looks like another origin series in The Bad Boys. So let's shift our focus now to the club Land. Dave. You had a story earlier this week regarding the Bulldogs and their massive injury toll. Can you tell us, yeah, they do.
Speaker 2: They've got they've got some issues and it's it's unfortunate for the Dogs given the trajectory they've been on climbing up the ladder.
Speaker 1: They've clearly lost now Max King.
Speaker 2: They've got joshadow Carr on the sidelines, Jam and Sam and Blake Taff.
Speaker 1: It's it's a it's a pretty.
Speaker 2: Big casualty ward and it's gonna have to take some cosmetic changes from Cameron Serato, of which depth is starting to run a little bit thin. Josh Curen will now have to start in the front row in this huge game for the Dogs up in Townsville. I've got some calls in at this point in time, in and around the available availability of Stephen Crichton.
Speaker 1: He was wearing a pretty heavy.
Speaker 2: Ice pack on his knee post match last night. They need him, they really need him out there. So look, it's it's it's a tricky period.
Speaker 1: For the Dogs.
Speaker 2: But what I like about the Dogs is their fortitude and their resilience defensively and and while I say they've got increasing injuries, so they've they've been carrying on with pretty.
Speaker 1: Much a no frills forward pack anyway. Yeah, so.
Speaker 2: It just it speaks to their resolve, but it certainly hurts them. That's that's for sure. Locks of Chris Pattolo pharmacilia, they're now in the frame as far as options in that pack, and I've got you know, those guys have only played a handful of first grade games in the last couple of years, So that's where they're at.
Speaker 1: The Dogs are they sweet to make the eight? Now? I bring what are they? I would have had them before these few injuries all but a lot out for Maxking eight weeks. Yeah, yeah, so he might not play again in the regular season. Yeah, so so reliable, He's just been a reliable constant for him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was gonna say I think we're really underselling how valuable he's been because I think he's got himself to about fifty fifty five minute front rower, which I'm not sure the other guys their depth chart can can replace with. So yeah, it's a huge loss, but for their sake and their their fans have really come alive with life it's been I was there for that that Dog's IELs game and it was just rocky.
Speaker 1: It was rocking that day.
Speaker 2: As I said, I'm so so keen to see how they respond in Townsville on Sunday against the Cowboys from a defensive point of view, because that's where you.
Speaker 1: Know, that's that's why they are.
Speaker 2: Where they are their defense, and when they when you start to make a couple of changes in your defensive models, that's when it starts the chain can get broken. However, I think Serato has done a pretty good job of keeping everyone on the same page defensively so far with the changes that he has made half back, included a couple of fullback changes through the season. So I think it's a cracking match to see how the Dogs shape up on Sunday.
Speaker 1: It's obvious, but one or two more injuries and there it's going to hurt him. They're scratching big time because they're probably they get they're at the point now where they've can filled seventeen good players. Yep. Outside of that, though, it sort of drops away significantly. Black play Black Taffe would have been so important, like, oh totally. You know, he's a guy that can play lots of positions and slot in, but you know he's missing long term too. So the first one that we'll get back is the Fox.
Speaker 2: The Fox will push, push hard to come back next week, but again he's scheduled for two the following week.
Speaker 1: Two weeks.
Speaker 2: Time will tell on the Fox. Read Marney, guys, really quickly read. Marney was up in that Queensland camp. He was the understudy that Harry Grant and Ben Hunt, Billy Slater couldn't have been more impressed. So when we talk about origin that we need a bit of.
Speaker 1: The Oh my god, that's what we need. Yeah, they were so impressed with him. He's a dead set chance next year. And just speak of this quickly recapped the injuries from last night. Obviously, Mitch Moses ruptured biceps, gone Paramatta becoming bottom of the ladder. That means that you know, Tigers fans probably a bit really that they're gonna make that is so they'll be battling tough for Paramotter. I think they played on the last round Tiger's way out the spoon. It will be a block bus Dylan Edwards knee injury, might miss a month. Peter Bidell, our colleague has reported Carrigan won't play for the Broncos Reee Walsh unlikely or in doubt, but the Cowboys boys and Tom Diden and Valentine Homes from Queensland will play. So a fair bit.
Speaker 2: I spoke to the Knights this morning. Bradman Best obviously had that hammy little issue. From all reports, he's pulled up fine on that front. He's got five to six stitches and he's lived Callum Pong, Dane Gag. All three boys are reporting back to Newcastle that they're caen to play, but until they're assessed just after lunchtime on Thursday, the Knights won't be absolutely definitive on that.
Speaker 1: What do you say Carrigan's backing up from Peter Bdell.
Speaker 2: So the big one is Adam Reynolds for the Broncos. Guys understanding will undergo a fitness test on Friday. He's desperately keen to play. It could be a huge in which is well before his return date.
Speaker 1: All they're suggestions he might not even play a game this year. Speaking of Blakes that are back, Tom Travoy bitch outstanding back in the number one jersey and allayed and his suggestions now that he's going to not play fullback for many he's got to play the number one jersey. It's Tommy back mainly back Maney.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yep, I think so you put Cherry back in that team too. Same about how Molli, But they certainly look like the team that, with the injection of a player like Turbo, will be on the up for the rest of the year. I'm back in the men for fire.
Speaker 2: What about what about Brookie Oval? But they're now getting back to the fortress where they they almost can't be beaten. So they play the Titans on Sunday right for the days has the Cup?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and like this, this this.
Speaker 2: Brookie Oval is creating the same vibes of ten years ago.
Speaker 1: Sell out after sellout after sellout. They're good when mainly are on. They're good to watch because they've got strike obviously Tommy and Garyo Coloca d C. I know Cohler is injured, Tommy to Lows going great. Jamie Humphries was really good for from last week. But they just shift the ball so quick. Look Brooks when he's running. So they just have some spark about him. And that's why I started the year I had him. I thought they'd win the camp. Really, I've gone a little bit off that in terms of their premiership winning ability. But if Tommy goes on a run now obviously, well I didn't have them in my eight. They could. Apparently they've got a softest draw on the way home. Yeah, so they'll fit. I think they'll finish in the top.
Speaker 2: I'm talking this home this home ground, I'm chalking wins almost every time they play there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're going good. I do like Loay the Titans are going. They've improved. It's been terrific.
Speaker 2: And they need Brimson back out there now. He's been he's got this injury that just continues to linger. He can't get back on the on the field. He's named in the interchange of reserves this weekend. Again he'll push to play. But that's who they need. They need a game breaker and like they're only improved, but throw him into the mix and they're dangerous Broncos.
Speaker 1: Not for me, I think they I think they're gone. Yeah, yeah, I think they're in big trouble.
Speaker 3: That's why I'm surprised that Carrigan's not playing this weekend because it's just about muscle Winn.
Speaker 1: Now from here on out. Yeah, I have to win every single be in those works like that, and they play Newcastle side that they'll compete with for that top eight spots. So yeah, I'm with your boys. I think they're going to leave their run a little bit too late. Brisbane, no Carrigan, potentially no Walsh.
Speaker 2: This game, this game against the Dragons disappointed me like no other because you know, I said this on three sixty on Tuesday night. I thought, for the first time, you know, I love Keev Walters for everything he brings to the game. He's highly a motive, wears his heart on his sleeve, calls it how he sees it. But I also think that played into the minds of his players where they were they lacked discipline, they were niggerly, they were giving penalties away six agains, coming up with ordinary errors and just they look like their minds weren't on the job, and sometimes emotion can do that. And that's where I just feel, as though I've said it before, where clubs are a reflect teams are a reflection of their coach a lot of the time, and I thought that this was a reflection of Kevy's coaching at this point in time.
Speaker 1: This leads us to our first question from Seiridge Surge. I'm not sure will Kevy be under the most pressure for a coach in the first ten rounds of the twenty five season if they missed the top eight, and who'd be in line to take over?
Speaker 2: Well, I think they will. I think he will be because of the size of that club. They are a football club that demand finals, appearances and premierships, and so they should given the financial model and structure that they have, given the roster that they have.
Speaker 1: It's almost Brad Arthur esque. Absolutely, they make the finals, you get one year saving grace and then they make the finals. The next year of tracking not to make the finals, then.
Speaker 3: Well that's why what up earlier about how there were people who wanted Brad Arthur gone that last off season that they didn't even want to give him a chance this year, Like, God, you'd be it would be pretty tough to make that call. Well on BA during that summer last summer and Kevy this summer, Like do you give Kevy.
Speaker 1: If going to miss? He gets to do. He's got too much respect up there. Kevy next year, but no doubt starts the year under significant pressure. And the bloke I mentioned already, Michael McGuire, yeah, match, Yeah, would be perfect for a job like that. Ryan said to the end, I look at bringing back the Anzac test. I don't know about this, Meek.
Speaker 2: I just think the calendar is so full on and we get we get the product of what we saw last night by preserving our best players and by adding an international where it is the elite, are we not asking more of them, of which would then dilute what we we saw last night.
Speaker 1: I love it like I'm an internationalist. I guess I love international footy. It deserves a place on the calendar. But I think they're fine in the right balance now by having postseason. I know it makes a year long, but I just think there's enough disruption in the season with origin that if you're going to disrupt the game's elite again and take them away from their club side or having a backup from the club side. I just don't think it's feasible, or clubs are already resting players when they're available.
Speaker 3: I think this is this year more than ever from what I can remember, the clubs were resting their Origin players when they were available to play.
Speaker 1: So you had a test in that and it's going to be worse.
Speaker 2: The other cast to that is is if you were picking the ANZAC Test this year, which Australian players would be chosen then compared to now after this year's Origin Series. Someone look at Zach Limax, who will walk into this end of season test team would not be in the air ZAC Test.
Speaker 1: You are picking players on what they did they would have been fullback.
Speaker 2: I'd suggest you're picking players on what they did the previous season and the first four weeks of the comp and I just don't think that's a fair assessment. And this Australian team that's chosen on the back of this Origin Series will be such a stronger side for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we should pick our kangaroo site. At some point Wade wants to know Newcastle need a new halfback. I don't mind Jackson Haysen just when a comp with him. There any suggestions on about five of them now, don't they castle.
Speaker 2: They've just done They've been unable to lock down their half back in a long term mainstay. I don't know who it is.
Speaker 1: I think if you've got Jackson now, I think Jackson can do a job at seven. I think it's the six that becomes. And they haven't had a lot of Ponger, right, so if you have a run in one in Ponger, a run in six, whoever that may be, Price has shown some sort of upside. Tyson Gamble can create off the cuff sort of play. You can't have Cogger and Hastings right, That combination does not work, okay, But I think you can get away with Hastings at seven as a control in seven if you have two running six's. So maybe that's where I'd be looking at rather than trying to find a seven's.
Speaker 2: There's not a stack on the market, that's the problem. There's not a lot, you know what.
Speaker 1: Else.
Speaker 3: I like the fact that they've effectively tapped Jay and Brayley on on the shoulder because I like Phoenix Crossland, who was a halfback gives them a bit more playmaking at hooker.
Speaker 1: So I like, actually like that call. But yeah, half backs leave jaydenla it means a good fellow. It is. Guys.
Speaker 2: Look, they've got one of the most explosive superstars in the game and so whether let's just say for who's waiter so Wade, you've got to balance it up. Do you want a superstar half and a superstar fullback which is going to absolutely impact your salary cap and then something else is going to have to give, or do you just go with some steady halves that are going to set the superstar alight at the back.
Speaker 1: Pascha Balka one of the greats. I wants to know there's a Safeti Brothers on their way to a Sydney club. Any ideas which one? It won't be the Brothers, it would just be at this stage Daniel Dave any mail There.
Speaker 2: Dragons still ongoing negotiations between both the Dragons and Newcastle, knowing that Daniel is on contract at Knights next season and what the Dragons want is the Newcastle Knights to chip in for a large portion of.
Speaker 1: That contract next season.
Speaker 2: At the Dragons, it's now a negotiation of how much each club is willing to pay.
Speaker 1: Do you what's your gut there where? Do you think he plays next year?
Speaker 2: St George? I think it happens, Absolutely happens. I think it'll be a great move for him. I think the Knights know that he needs He knows he needs to change. The Knights know he needs to change. They'll make it happen. It's just a matter of how much Saints are willing to put in and how much the Knights put in.
Speaker 1: He'll be with the Dragons, all right. Some emails Phil Hello from a wet UK. Given their respective rosters and preseason aspirations, which club has been the most disappointing this year? Tigers, Eels, Rabbits, Broncos.
Speaker 2: All right, so this is the first week the Broncos have ended the discussion. Yeah, because we've always gone down these paths and spoken about the Bunnies, the Tigers.
Speaker 1: And the and the Eels. This is the first week the Broncos have ended the discs. Tigers and Els in my eight So they're not disappointments for mine. Shouse and Brisbane. I don't know how you split them. They're both being well, let's just see, let's just see how the next couple of weeks out for the be one of those two for mine because I didn't have hopes for Tigers or the Eels. Yeah, I think I probably had Brisbane and Souse in my top four. Top five I'd say went the Bronx preseason favorites.
Speaker 3: Not for mine, but I think with some of the betting markets, I think they were just ahead of Pregnant, so they'd be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know where I'd probably disappointment. I probably had him both of them, I can't remember, but if I didn't know in my top four, had of my top five, so they're both equally is disappointing, Maddie, what about you? Yeah?
Speaker 3: No, Bonco's by far from I thought they were going to win, like they were going to win the camp.
Speaker 1: Yeah. All right. So we had an immortals chart last week with Buzzen and Reedy. This is from David. He'd like to see a more focus on the older players like Ron Cook, and then he goes, Cam Smith and Darren Locke are young and have time no disrespect to their careers. What do you guys think? Yeah, I think that's a fair assessment.
Speaker 2: I think that's a fair I think because time, you will, we will lose track of time in adding a player of such significance like Ron Cook and and he's right, like Cam Smith, Lockie, we do have time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, who do you think should be the next to mortal? Well, I would add ron Kot.
Speaker 2: I think he's his achievements are extraordinary and how they haven't been recognized, and I know they have been recognized, but through immortality, I think he deserves to be there.
Speaker 3: This is really hard for youngish people to answer, because I mean I haven't seen you know, my earliest memories were Freddie and Brandy and MG and those players. But then so Cam Smith, for mine is the best player I've ever seen, but like I've never seen ron Coot.
Speaker 1: So it's just it's really hard to I think there comes a point in time where we put an end point to those guys, yeah, ron Kot, Ken Irvine and then even the guys from but who's going to openly declare that well it needs to be done. Yeah, he needs to be If you're not, this is it? Yeah, right, And you know, now we're looking at guys like Stirlo and Kenny and those guys, and then you know, well Brett Kenny deserves to be absolutely in the ski. My thing on this is right. Do we all agree Cam Smith is an immortal? Yes? Why do we wait? Why why do we have to wait? I hate when we like when people die or whatever. We twenty years.
Speaker 2: Ago, twenty to thirty, twenty years ago, you could have asked the exact same question about wrongkout Well.
Speaker 1: They should have. They should have the point they should have been, that's the point.
Speaker 2: So why did they Why have they waited?
Speaker 1: I don't know, Like when Maddie said, I don't know about wrongkout right, But for mine, Cameron Smith is the second best part I've seen. And I said this last week, and I've said I've banged on about this in my time. I'd induct twomortals, Andrew Johns and camp Smith. No Luckier, no Freddy, no Thurston, no Slater, no g I, none of those guys from They're the only two. Because I want this to be the exclusive of the exclusive, and Cameron Smith is an immortal. Get him in there now. Do not. And this is no disrespect to guys that have gone before. If you want to induct too, that's fine. But camp Smith, we all believe he's going to be a mortal. Why do we have to wait ten years? I don't I don't get it, Like you know, Shane wandand we have to clean up the past. And they named an mts G Grants down after him? Do it now? Celebrate? These people look like they changed the rule for him, right?
Speaker 2: I did, like Smith, I did like our Dave thirsty Morow got his recognition.
Speaker 1: What do we do, Like, let's not waste time because we don't know what's to come, like if something that's a bit more bit more, if something happens to one of these players, they'll fast tracker. What Dave fast tracker? Do it? Now? You know Mark wants to know? And this was sent before last night's game, and it's a bit negative Mark, and I said that to him, do you think law law? I realized that this is probably his last game of Origin with him joining the West Tigers next year. I believe repforty is finished. Do you agree? I do not agree. I don't agree, but I don't I don't mind. I got the premise of it, and get the point.
Speaker 2: Now we've seen what happens to happen to Appy chorus Our's Origin career. Yeah, I'm not saying like he's been phenomenal, right, and you know he only needs to show glimpse of his glimpses of form next year to be right back in the Blues frame.
Speaker 1: Has Mark watched Jerome play? I think I don't. I don't think Jerome thinks that his cruiser, his.
Speaker 3: Origin cruise over by. I reckon he'll be Jerome thinks will be there the next ten years. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It probably comes back to your original point about Madge having the players available that he originally wanted to pick.
Speaker 1: Which would not have been Jerome LEWI suggest to you, I dare say the hardest combination of being clearing Moses. I don't know. I reckon it would have been Leuian and Cleary. I reckon if we went back before Origin started, I reckon Madge had in his mind around a month in or whatever the case may about Moses clearing match up. Whether the styles I think like, I honestly think that's who he would if everything was equal, they were minded who he would have picked. But they are two right foots. But this Jerome's been outstanding, He's been sensational. He deserves obviously, he deserves his spot and naturally it is harder to retain your spot. But I say this to Mark.
Speaker 2: If Jerome does play for New South Wales and win the series, then his status in my eyes goes to another level because I I know that the West Tigers they're still going to be.
Speaker 1: Battling next year. Imagine he gets him into the top eight. On the flip side is if he gets them into the top eight around Origin and guarantee, he's guaranteed it can work by my old Nathan out. Imagine that Daniel wants to know how hard are the Storm going for Stefano.
Speaker 2: You took him, they've met him and they're trying to will him down to the Melbourne Storm. This is going to be really interesting because I don't think Stefano received the amount of interest that he may have thought he would receive. The Raiders and Saint Georgia law where I had a nibble before pulling out, and it's the Storm. Look, that's on the premise that Stefano wants to go to a successful organization.
Speaker 1: And that's you know, they are.
Speaker 2: The biggest, biggest ticket as far as being in the race.
Speaker 1: But it's with the Dolphins on Saturday Sunday over the weekend flew to there.
Speaker 2: But they haven't got that proven success yet. Me and so Melbourne have appealed, but the big catch there is moving his young family to Melbourne.
Speaker 1: The Dolphins are really interesting.
Speaker 2: I would find that hugely appealing, you know, given the trajectory that they are on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the players that they've already added and Finny.
Speaker 2: For my guts, my gut feel look, without saying anything's done or anything like that, I just feel as the Tigers aren't out of this race to keep Stefano for another twelve months before then putting himself back on the open market when clubs have created space for twenty six.
Speaker 1: Do you do that? If you do, you have to put him in a holding pattern and go, well, okay, well it can work two ways, right, Well, we'll prove ourselves to you that with your own came into river Camp twelve miles of Benji, that you want to be here long term. They back themselves to do that, that's the positive side of it, or they going, well, mate, he's just staying here until he gets a better offer hasn't come yet.
Speaker 2: I think it's a business and you've got to realize, Yeah, you've got to realize that that's probably the case the ladder, but at the same time, we'll have a pretty good play for the next twelve months.
Speaker 1: That's it. It's a I haven't thought about the twelve month deal, but that is an interesting proposition for the Tigers to if they would consider it. I'm not sure. Okay, So what options do the Tigers have otherwise? You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: It's not like they get rid of Stevanna when suddenly they can go and buy.
Speaker 1: A Nelson is who they were looking at, right, Okay, if they get that done, then.
Speaker 3: He'd also be betting on himself though if he if he takes the one, you do it, yeah, Tigers, he can. Then he's got twelve months to up his up his value and they get longer deal.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah. I just wonder if the Tigers come at that, if it's the best deal for the Tigers, is what I'm trying to say here. Knowing that a guy that he's not sure, Look, you don't blame him, right, they haven't been great, so I would find it very intriguing and how they'd sell that. The Tigers would sell that, that twelve month deal, So that's interesting. Dave so obviously we end this segment with dinner. Maddie, what's on the menu tonight? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Well, I think a good bit of an early monk today after origin last night early Mark?
Speaker 1: What's that? What is that? Good to know? I'm cooking. I've been learning.
Speaker 3: I've been on a roll recently with some traditional dishes of Filipino dishes, and I've worked at the recently learned a like a coconut type prawn curry.
Speaker 1: I've been working through. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, good weather for it? Nice? What's on the red? You know what's those days are?
Speaker 2: And it's under fifteen's there last our footy training, So it's always difficult to organize dinner, so it is it will be a smash grab job tonight. Potentially hamburgers, hamburgers. Yeah, I'm like, but I may go not not mince Paddy.
Speaker 1: I might go.
Speaker 2: And it sort of morphs into a steak sandwich here, but I might actually go the minute steak style me.
Speaker 1: Okay, but call it a hamburg make it a hamburger, because steak sandwich is much similar. It's only got bread and onion. Okay, if you want on it, we're hamburger.
Speaker 2: You can add the steak with the works, Yes, steaks works, Burger special sauced.
Speaker 1: Yes. Where are lamb cutlets in our household tonight? So that's what's on the menu at ours. What did you do for origin night? I had takeaway? This is local chicken, local chicken, a chicken shop. You love that chicken sho the chicken shop. It's very very good. So I do that because I couldn't. It's our household is a bit chaotic, right, two kids under two, so it's a bit of madness. And I said to Clarm my wife. I was like, look, I don't I usually do the dishes and stuff. I said, look, no dishes tonight. Let's do takeaway because You've got to try and put the kids down while I'm try and work. So but we got through it. Kids very well, both asleep before kickoff. That's the dream. Well the Blues have a Blues Dave enjoyed Paris. Oh yeah, we we we calculated a few weeks. Look after radio, looking after your grandsa it is try doing a collar with him? All right, Well, thank you for joining us. Next week, despite the Olympics starting, we'll still be back here and holding the foot