Speaker 1: Oh hello, thank you for joining us today on the body En Solt podcast called Healthy Ish. I hope you are having a fabulous day. I am Felicity Harley and joining me today is the delightful Luke Hines. He is, of course, a chef, author and TV host and he's here to discuss new Australian research around our health goals. Plus he's going to talk about the importance of protein and give his verdict on the latest TikTok trend on cinnamon coffee. Have you heard of this one? To burn fat? Anyway, make sure you're listening to our sister podcast Extra Healthy Ish, where Luke takes a deep dive into all things protein. You can grab that one where we get your podcasts. Luke, welcome back to Healthy Ish. I feel like you're a friend of the pod now you've been on a number of times.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, Felicity.
Speaker 3: I do love talking to you and I think I look forward to it most because you and I are very aligned in our health approach. We well. What I hope and I definitely hope the listeners agree, is that we're practical about how we view health, but we also want to make it achievable for everybody, because health is something that we should all be able to take into our own hands in each and every day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're speak in my language. I do agree. And one thing you know, we both agree on. I think you know, as listeners of this podcast will know, sometimes A get a bit hesitant talking about weight loss and it's a bit icky and I don't know how to and often I'm like, Okay, people still want to lose weight, but how do we do it the healthy way? But talk to us about what this latest research has found.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look, I'm with you.
Speaker 3: Weight loss can become a bit of an ick if that's the only conversation we're having and it's about losing weight being skinny, restriction, deprivation.
Speaker 2: But new data from.
Speaker 3: My fitness Felt, which is the number one food and nutrition tracking app in the world, has showed that eighty percent of Australian users that log in opt to say that losing weight is their primary goal. Now, the reason we're talking about this research is that the new data also reveals that September is the month where Ossie's are gearing up to start their health and fitness journeys. Right now, you and I both use my fitness well, because we know that knowledge is power. But if you've got someone going on who goes, oh my goodness, it's September October. I need to get fit, I need to get beach ready. I need to lose weight. I step in as a health expert, and I imagine you would too, and go, all right, You're allowed to lose weight if you have excess weight that you're carrying, But how are you going to do that properly, sustainably and also in the right way that keeps it off long term?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well said, I mean to that, So give us the answer.
Speaker 3: Adam out a nutshell, crowding out your plate, okay, And it's all about celebrating the three macros that in balance. The hero macro for me to lose weight but to stay feeling full of for longer and to repair and grow and feel fantastic is protein. But whilst I'm going to talk to you about protein today massively, the key is finding a really good balance between good quality protein, nutrient dense healthy fats, and smart calves. Because protein, fat and calves, they're are three key macro nutrients and we need all of them to survive, function and thrive in all the things that we do each day, whether it's picking up our kids to lift them up in the sky, or it's going to the gym and lifting weights or simply stretching.
Speaker 2: In yoga or pilates. We need these macro nutrients.
Speaker 3: They fuel us. But if your goal, your primary goal is to lose weight, protein, crowding out your plate with heaps of protein and then fats and calves is a really fantastic way to do that.
Speaker 1: Proteins is certainly having its moment, isn't it. I feel like it's see the headlines, I'm hearing people talk about it. So give us some ideas and perhaps some swaps. So let's focus on the plate of how we can fill our plate with more protein.
Speaker 3: Well, a lot of people don't even know how much protein they should be having.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Some of the recommendations.
Speaker 3: Out there worldwide are as little as zero point seven zero point eight grams of protein per kilo of body weight.
Speaker 2: But I'm the kind of.
Speaker 3: Guy and in my functional nutrition, I think a healthy amount of protein depending on who you are, whether it's your age, your gender, and your activity level, is one to two grams of protein per kilo of body weight. Now, for me, a forty year old guy, I train hard most days of the week. I'm trying to gain and hold onto lean muscle mass. So I have two grams of protein per kilo of body weight per day. Now, remember when you're having a one hundred and fifty gram chicken breast, that's not one hundred and fifty grams of protein. Getting your thirty to forty grams of protein in that.
Speaker 1: I mean talking through the mass when it comes to protein. I mean sometimes I can go over our heads and think, okay, well what does that actually look like. Let's use you as an example. What does it look like for you? Like what are you consuming to make and to build those muscles?
Speaker 2: Now, I've got to remember this is a podcast.
Speaker 1: So our listeners. He just gave me a big flex, a massive flex, not as flex.
Speaker 3: I was actually trying to show off a clenched fist. Now I've got a fairly big hand. And what I like to do is I like to make sure that in each meal I am trying to or the equivalent of a fist's worth of protein on my plate. Now that might be a beautiful piece of free range chicken, it could be some grass fed beef. It might be a good quality seafood. It even could be plant based protein, which is beans, pulses, and legumes. But protein is the aim of the game. Now, once I've got about a fifth sized portion of protein on my plate, I crowd out my plate with other epic things, good healthy fats like avocados, nuts, and seeds, but also smart carbs.
Speaker 2: Now, if you're someone who's.
Speaker 3: Needing a bit more energy and recovery, you might want to choose below ground, more starchy vegetables. But if you're someone who's thinking, hey, I might I perform better on a lower carb approach, you might celebrate all the beautiful, abundant above ground vegetables like couliflower, broccoli, even pumpkin is fantastic.
Speaker 2: Fill your plate out like that.
Speaker 3: Now, when you do that, you will find your plate doesn't have room fulfillers for all the stuff from packets that's been processed that is not nutrient dense, And in.
Speaker 1: Turn, perhaps it will keep you full of for longer, and then you won't reach for those sweet snacks when it comes to three o'clock in the evening, like okay, I need something sweet, And in turn, it's almost like you effortlessly loot Dare I say lose weight you do.
Speaker 3: One of the things I like to tell people is if you eat nutrient dense foods that were as nature intended, it won't be that hard. The problem is with packaged, processed, and refined foods. They're designed by big food to make you want to eat more, buy more, and consume more because they're in the business of you churning through that and buying and buying and buying. When you eat this real food, you do feel fuller for longer, and you're less likely to snack, which is incredible.
Speaker 2: So let's have two comparisons.
Speaker 3: Say you wake up and you're running late for work, and you run out the door and you grab a sweet treat from your local bakery and a coffee. You are going to be starving mid morning, and those hunger pans are going to potentially have you reaching for things that are more processed and refined to.
Speaker 2: Give you that sugar or energy. Hit. Now, if you do a little bit of forod thinking, a little bit of preparation, maybe some meal prep, and you have a high protein breakfast, you're going to feel so much fuller for longer because it takes our body longer to break down good quality protein and healthy fats, meaning that we're not going to really crave anything anytime soon.
Speaker 1: Now, while you are reaching for that healthy breakfast, you need to talk me through this TikTok trend that I've seen pop.
Speaker 2: Up about which one?
Speaker 1: Yeah, which one? Okay, this one this week it's this one. Can adding a tea spin of cinnamon to your daily coffee help burn fat and intern lose weight.
Speaker 3: I gotta laugh because I don't know. Going on TikTok makes me feel very old for the city. I don't know, me too, Yeah, but I go.
Speaker 2: On there and I go what next?
Speaker 3: So the data out there shows that even if you consumed about more than one point five grams a day, it doesn't actually have a significant effect. Now, my advice to anyone out there would be, hey, rather than focusing on something so small that doesn't even shift the dial, really doesn't even move the doll enough, why don't you put that time and energy and effort, especially if you're going to film a video about it, into actual practical through the practical weight loss ideas like hey, oh I'm getting a bit old fashioned here, but move your body eating more protein maybe understanding calories in verse calories out. I guarantee you, if you stick to tried and true methods of how to reduce body fat and increased lean muscle mass, you're going to be getting way more results than a sprinkle of cinnamon, Because, Felicity, do you not think we'd all be doing that if something as simple and cheap as cinnamon was going to solve all of our weight loss weight gain issues.
Speaker 1: Oh I do love cinnamon though, but yes, I agree, Luke. Thank you for coming on healthy is Thank you well stier clear of adding cinnamon to your coffee. Enjoy cinnamon in well all the other food that you consume. Cinnamon yogurt that is tasty and hey, that's cinnamon and protein together. A winner. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this chat with Luke. If you did tell us rate and I you this episode, Subscribe to this podcast. If you have any ideas for guests or topics, DM me at Felicity Harley, across social media, anything else, head to bodyansoul dot com dot you follow us on socials at Body and Soul. Grab our print edition which is ourn your local Sunday paper, and until tomorrow, stay healthy is