Speaker 1: We'd like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land on which this podcast was produced, the Galligle people of the Urination. We pay our respects to elder's past and presents.
Speaker 2: Twenty twenty three and we're in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Twenty seven year old Russ Cook is one hundred and two days into his quest to be the first person to run the entire length of Africa. This is a brutal feat on the body and mind, but the distance isn't the only danger. On day one hundred and two, he's certain this day will be his last. He's been warned about the violence and corruption in the DRC and felt hostility the moment he arrived. Russ's approach is just to put one foot in front of the other, head down, keep running, get through it. He's running through the jungle and stumbles upon a village. Instantly, people are shouting and screaming at him, confuse as to why he's here. With a language barrier and no phone signal, Russ knows he's in trouble.
Speaker 3: The chief of the village demands money.
Speaker 2: Russ doesn't even have water on him, let alone any cash. He's taken further out into the bush with two men wielding machetes. This is his only chance to escape. He makes a run for it, sprinting as fast as he can, but it doesn't take long for the two captors to catch and grab him. I'm at Middleton and this is headgame today, Russ Cook on his life lessons.
Speaker 3: From running the length of Africa.
Speaker 2: I think that I'm the hardest gyser right, so, I don't know how you got that title. Listen after you're still in and following you to be fair, mates, do you know what I'd have to give you that title?
Speaker 3: Mate?
Speaker 2: Because what you went through was nothing short of pure survival, endurance and talk about head game, you know, getting your head in the game to be able to get out of some of those sticky situations you're in. I'll let you have the hardest Geezer mate for now, first and foremost mate, before we get into the nitty gritty of Africa.
Speaker 3: What made you want to run?
Speaker 2: Because it just in my head when I when I've been following you know, you're almost like the modern day version of Forrest Gumpany did you just decide you wanted to run?
Speaker 3: Run one day and well, honestly, it can't. It does go a little bit like that, you know, because I think I don't know if you can relate to this. But as a young man, I was really I was one of these guys. I was searching for meaning kind of everywhere I could, I couldn't really find it. So, you know, I did all the easy things first, like drinking and going out and gambling all this stuff. And it was actually I was in a nightclub in Brighton one day when I kind of just took a moment, had this realization that, you know, what am I doing with my life? My life's going nowhere. I'm you know, I'm out of partying. I'm hating it, like I've never really enjoyed it. I don't know what I'm you know, what I'm going to do. It felt less like an epiphany at the time and more just like I needed to run away. So I literally did just ran ran home. It was eleven miles home and just napping on pavements and all kinds of stuff, you know, took me hours from there. My mate got me, got me signed up to a half marathon that he was doing. He took me out training loads and I kind of started putting my energy and focus into this, into this training, and then quickly started to see the you know, the benefits of what that brought me, like the discipline, the motivation, and then you know, ran a marr and shortly after we did the half marathon. And then that was about seven, seven or eight years ago, and I've just been on a mad one ever since.
Speaker 2: Mate, do you know what I love? So basically it all stemmed from that nightclub. You just thought, right, do you know what? He ran home at eleven miles? What change in you from being out in a nightclub running home and then all of a sudden going right, do you know what?
Speaker 3: Half marathon? Marathon and then tackling what we're going to talk about in a bit.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: Really, I think it was the purpose more than anything. I think that given having that sense of purpose was really massive for me, and I think as a younger man, I was really looking for it and I couldn't find it anywhere. And with running, you know, I didn't. I didn't go from running home from that nightclub to like running is my career. That took like five years in itself. But I realized that this was something positive that I could put my energy into that was going to deliver me positive outcomes for my life and return. And it was so quick to see, you know, that transformation because I was in I was in such like a dark place at the time that when I started running and those like positive feedback loops cape coming and I felt more self confident, you know, I started saving money in my job for the first time ever. All of these things started happening, got in better shape that you know, I just I knew that this was a good thing to be pursuing for me.
Speaker 2: Let's jump straight into it, mate. So you've done your half marathons, your marathons, your ultra runnings.
Speaker 3: You run for me Istanbul to London, which you know was a tricky one for you, right, What did you learn from earlier? Well, I mean that was tricky and multiple way and multiple sense. You know. I was by myself on that one, so that that brought something you. I was twenty two, I think when I did that. So that was seventy one marathons in sixty six days, eleven different countries and I was just camping out mate, wherever I was right. So, and you had no support team, nothing, nothing.
Speaker 2: Let's get this right, because people are smashing records around the world, world records. Everyone's everyone's fascinating and obsessed with world records nowadays. But you know, behind the scenes, and fair play to them, but behind the scenes, they got their nutrition team, they had their physiotic and you've just got your beard, mate, and the hammock and the where you go.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, that was literally it for that one, mate. So yeah, I would just find I'd run a math and then I'd just find somewhere to camp in the woods every night. Mate. Yeah, yeah, well, you know what, it was European summer, so the conditions were not bad like it was raining. It was raining fairly often. I even you know, I went into it thinking I'm not even going to take sun cream. I'm ginger, mate. I went in thinking that I don't even need that. I found out pretty quick that was that was daft. And then I also went into thinking I don't even need a sleeping bag. It's summer light, it's well warm outside during the night, I'll be fine, you know, quickly bout that it's actually freezing shivering for about two weeks before I finally gave in and like went to a city and thought, right, we're gonna go and get a sleeping bag. So I think, you know, Baptism of Fire. A lot of it was was just, you know, it's the class you've got to fuck around to find out. And I was doing plenty of the fucking a round and I was also finding out a lot. So yeah, I mean great experience, and I think that's you know, a lot of what I changed in my mindset there is I was I was getting less scared to fail. I was like, do you know what, I backed myself to figure out one way or the other, Like, let's take this ages learning and thing on. Yeah, I don't know what I'm doing. Yeah, I've got like four items in my backpack. Everyone's telling me that this is stupid. I'm going to die, but I think it'll probably We'll probably be able to figure it out out along the way. And all those lessons I did learn, you know, they're ingrained into me because I learned them. I learn them a hard way, you know, whether it was waking up after thirty back to back marathons for the first time ever, and like my feet feel like they're about to fall off, and it's just like taping everything up and going like we're going to get away, find a way through this. So all of that stuff was it was brutal, but it was you know, an amazing learn Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love that, man, I'm very much like that. So you come off with that when if that wasn't a lesson enough, mate, what then made you think, do you know what, I'm going to run the length of Africa? Because mate, if you hadn't already you know, got a coup under your belt by doing that.
Speaker 3: What was what was Zafrica all about? You?
Speaker 2: Man? Yeah?
Speaker 3: The Africa one was a whole new level, to be fair. But for me, you know, I finished the age of Signer Rhyme and I was I was totally infused, used by the mission and I knew that. I was like, right, I want this is what I want to do for a career. But again, there was a lot of pieces of the puzzle to put together there. So I'd looked. I'd looked at Africa, you know, pretty quickly after getting back from Edge to London, and I looked at Australia as well. But I thought, right, you know, eventually I got to Africa. Let's do Africa. No one's ran the full length of it. I've had a great time when I've gone there before. It's been an amazing inspirational place. It will be like the sharpest culture change I can experience from what I know, and I just think it will be the best adventure ever. So that's when I first think of it, But it took then took like a three year period basically figuring out okay, because you know, you get the map up, you know, yeah, we're going to go through the jungle, We're going to go through the desert. So I don't think I can do this one with a camelback and a hammock in my bag. I think I'm going to think I'm going to need some people to along with me and give me some water every now and again. So then you know, I go down that line of thinking's like, right, I'm going to bring people. I need money. If I need money, then I'm going to have to get a sponsor of some kind. And then I was like, well, you know, the obvious way these expeditions were kind of done previously is that you get the funding from a big TV channel or maybe already if you're already a celebrity, you come from money. All these type of things you can get a kind of bankrolled to start with, I didn't have any of that. I was skinned, didn't no one knew I was, and I just had to figure it out. But luckily I was born in the social media age, where after speaking to a few mates, they kind of gave me like, well, look, if you make content online and you get a lot of people to see it, then brands will just give you money to be part of that content, and then you can use that money to funda mission like okay, sweet, we're on something here. And then I had to go and figure out how content works all that side of things. So did a lot of that, and then eventually I've met a mate of a mate and managed to persuade him to give us a bit of a kickstarter to get the thing going. But you know, quickly burnt through a lot of that funds in in in getting a team together and all of these other bits. Then ended up on the start line of Project Africa with ten km my pocket, which was about four weeks runway before we run out of money, three hundred grand expedition. So definitely definitely commit. Commit, Yeah, just all in every in every sense of the word, was like I've debted myself up to my eyeballs. I've got ten g's left, but we just have to start. I was trying to sell everyone this vision like I'd sold my team. I got them to come on and take delayed pay. I've got all of these different people to help here and there. I was just trying to chat to sponsors selling this vision, like, look, we're going to run the length of Africa. I'm going to raise a million quid for charity. I'm going to be the first one to everyd I'm going to run back to back marathons every day. It's going to be incredible, like com and support be an amazing, amazing investment. And they were like yeah, like are you actually going to do it though, or are we're going to give you a bunch of money and you're going to get two weeks in and go ah, I'm injured, this is it?
Speaker 2: Or they look at it and they go you run across Africa, You're not going to be going to die, Like you know, just card the terrain, the environment, the atmosphere. You know you're running through especially you know through some jungles as well. You know you're coming across all sorts of tribes and yeah, you know what, from an outsider, I can honestly say I would be I would be the same.
Speaker 3: I'd be like, why are you going on this suicide mission? Yeah? But I was so like set on that vision, like I was clamped down on that like nothing, you just like there's no way, there's no way moment. I mean, that's when people were saying to me, do you think you're going to make it? I was like, obviously, you know, it wasn't even a question. I was like, yeah, well, I will obviously make it. There's going to be a bunch of stuff that goes wrong, but I think I can overcome all of it. Where do you think that mindset came from? You know, there's a couple of things going on, Like I'd worked hard for a long time in building that evidence in my own head that I am who I say I am. And then there's also I broke the Africa thing down to it's most simplest bones, and it's like, look, my job here is pretty simple. I've just got to put one foot in front of the other relentlessly. And then I thought about all the things that could stop me putting one foot in front of the other. So you think, you know, broken leg or you know, you get held up here all this kind of stuff, right, And I'm like, if I break my leg, I'll sit tight in a in a hospital in the middle of kinshasa d r C for six weeks and then they'll be back on road and I'll be able to make forward progress again. And then I was like, the only thing that could stop me is if I if I die, that's the only thing. So for me it was it was run Africa or die trine And that was the mentality behind it.
Speaker 2: That deal with di mentality is that is a hard one to not only unconvinced, but it's a hard one to for anything to come in your way, you must have gone through some ship to have to build up that resilience psychologically, which is ultimately all got you through through Africa. They taught me through when you when you were at the start line, you got ten grand. You go, what's the first couple of days, like mate, and where you're running from?
Speaker 3: Where you're running from?
Speaker 2: You running from south, from from south to north east to west?
Speaker 3: Where you running? Yes, I'm running from the most southern tip of Africa, which is in South Africa called Capel Gullis, and then I'm running to the most northern ship of Africa, which is in Tunisia called Los Angele. You know, I'm on that start line, thinking, right, we've got about ten thousand miles to cover here. It's going to take eight months to a year at best. I've got sixteen different countries to run through, many of which we don't even know how we're going to get into yet. I'm thinking, right, let's just not get injured on the first couple of days. I'm really just trying to focus on that first kind of two week period where it's right, my job for this two weeks is to get my body settled into that daily ultramarth and rhythm. And that's probably like one of the hardest stages because you're going from you know, potting around doing your normal training to like, right is fifty k or sixty k a day and inflammation everywhere. Your body's kind of screaming at you from probably day two or three onwards to be like, look, you're taking the piss here, mate, like settle down, and it's just knocking that back day after day after day after day to eventually you get to a point where it kind of just it still hurts, don't get me wrong, and it doesn't really ever get better, but it stops getting.
Speaker 2: Worse numbs out until yeah, you get a pain threshold, don't you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, barrier. So I was like, right, once we settle into that nice little glide of where like we're in, we're sitting in that pain, but we kind of know it's not getting too much worse from here, I was like, just focus on getting there. So there was a lot of just you know, metaphorically head button against the wall until until that was done for the for the start period, and then I think what was different about this Africa challenge to anything that I've done before is as soon as I got to that point, then all of the external factors of you know, getting robbed here or attempted robbery there, or food poisoning and all of that other stuff started happening as well. So it was just new type of challenges. You got bobbed at gunpoint, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well you just running along and someone was like, this is a.
Speaker 3: Through there, Well, what happened there is I was in and go to about sixty days in that was there've been a couple of attempted robberies already in South Africa, which we I've managed to get out of both of them, the first one. I've assumed you spent some time in Cape Town before. Yeah. Yeah, So like we were going we were driving through one of the townships in Cape Town, pulled up to a traffic light and I had my window down, which is just such a schoolball era for for most people have vincated what you call it, why are you doing that? Don't tell me you're on the phone as well. But I have my phone up on the doing the maps right on the thing. So two blokes roll in and they tried to grab my phone. I was like, ship, just grab my phone, launched it across the other side of the car. And then the other one tries to grab the keys out of the out of the you know the keyhole. Yeah, and I've just grabbed grabbed his hand and I was like, look, I'm not letting go, and there just start punching me up. And I'm like, ah fuck, this is the cost of being stupid here, I'm paying for it. So I'm just getting banged up by these blokes. I'm like, I don't care. How what is happening. I can't let go of these kids. I lose this van, then this mission over already because I ain't got money to replace it. So that was kind of my first you know, eventually they just stopped and then and ran off. But this was, you know, my first kind of baptism into you ain't in uh, you ain't Insanny South Coast of England anymore? Lad like yeah, and then shortly after I think praying me. Two weeks into the mission, I had a situation where I ran past a township late at night, it was dark, and two blokes came running up beside me, one behind me, one in front of me, and I immediately clocked. I was like, okay, this is you know, this is get Yeah, this is getting it. But I noticed that they waited maybe thirty seconds or a minute to do anything, and because of my life experience, I kind of knew at that point. Then I was like, right, they're actually a little bit apprehensive about robbing me. And then I thought, well, best give them a reason to be even more apprehensive then, so I just started going mental and got a Russian accent on started shouting, beating my chest, just getting you know, getting big getting really active, acting super scatty, and that was just about enough for the guy behind me to drop off, and then the guy in front of me, you know, we ended up having a bit of a chat. He's like, oh yeah, my mate was going to rob you, but all this kind of stuff, and we ended up actually having a really nice chat about you know, about God, about life, about his kids, how he's trying to support them, and you know, my mates came and picked me up and we ended up just giving him a lift back home to his really. Yeah, so like that was those were the first kind of couple of situations where it could have gone south, but we managed to you know, just about swerve it. And then in Angola, I'd ran thirty k in the morning. I was taking a lunch break, so the boys had stopped in the van, got in. They're just eating some food, chatting, chatting some usual rubbish with the boys, and then three guys pulled up on a motorbike behind us. They walk up the side of the van, ping the door open, gunning faces and it's you know, now, now it's it's slightly different situation where it's like, well, give us everything you've got our it's you know, light's out, and you know, we lost a lot of stuff that day, about five six grands worth of which for us at the time was massive cameras, phones, drones, cash, passport. Yeah yeah, they took all that, did they Yeah, they took your passports.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, But that's enough about your cameras and all that. How did you crackle without a passport?
Speaker 3: Well, we we had we did think of this before, so we had back up passports. We've got two, we've got to each. But we lost a lot of visas, so all of the visas for our upcoming countries are in those passports. So it caused a huge delay going to different embassies trying to get new new visas and all this kind of stuff. So it wasn't nightmare, I can't lie. But you know those lessons, oh way, don't you. We certainly started restructuring how we keep things in the van and all that kind of stuff after that, So, you know, brutal lesson, but Saylor v.
Speaker 2: And then fast forward to day one hundred and two. So you go from days sixty being robbed at gunpoint, you get back into a little routine, you learn from your mistakes. You're getting back settling again, and then one hundred and two days in you get snatched.
Speaker 3: Yeah, mate, that was a spicy on that, you know, probably the scariest time in my life, to be honest with you. One hundred and two days in we're in the middle of DRC, which, for people that don't know, has an extremely complex history in itself. I've noticed as soon as we got their hostility from pretty much everyone we met went went right up. And there's there's a bunch of contexts that can kind of explain that I don't want to give to the RC too much of a bad name. I spent maybe two weeks there myself. I'm in no real position to comment on the whole country, but if you know from my experienced, hostility went up a lot. And on day one hundred and two I got separated from the boys. We started running on roads that were just like there's no time out there, all mud roads, and the van got stuck, wasn't able to continue, and the boys were trying to send messages to me saying like, right, come and come to this village, meet here and meet there, blah blah blah. And you know, on my way to the to the to the meeting point. The boys are positioned. I well, I ran through two villages. The first one went swimming well, head down, get through, no problem. Second one, same tactic, right head down, let's not cause too much of a ruckus here, focus on it. Just get it, get through, get it done. And kind of ended up upsetting a lot of the villages. And then eventually the chief of the village they thought it was very I think they just it's very rude of me to not come and greet anyone or or offer up anything for walking through their village. So I've you know, I've just head down, got through, and they've they've eventually kind of brought me to a stop. And you know, the guys how how on foot on foot on foot? Yeah, so they've like I'm running directly through the village and they've all they've you know, at first it's just one person shouting at me, and then it's they could run up to me, and then and then they like stop me physically, and then they all circle around. But you know, by the time this finish, there's quite a lot of people around me. They're they're talking, I think Lingala local language. So I'm really trying to really struggling to piece anything together. I'm reading, trying to read body language and kind of work out what's going on obviously the but I can see that there's a lot of these these big strong men with with machetes, which is kind of really making me think, oh, that's you know, that's bad news. And I know where I'm not right, we're going this way. And then eventually the guy kind of sends everyone off and then gets two blokes to walk me out to this totally off off where I'm going into the bush and they've got these machetes, and I'm like, oh, fuck, this is bad. You know, I don't know what's happening here, but I can't imagine it's good.
Speaker 2: Are you thinking, do I just conform or what you're thinking in your head just do do what they say because they've got machetes and or are you thinking, well, I need to get the hell out of here.
Speaker 3: Well at that point, I've kind of I'm working out that they want they want money from me, they want stuff from me, and I haven't actually got an anything on me. I've got a phone, I've got to watch. I really don't want to lose them, because if you know, if I lose that. I'm just rolling about in the middle of the jungle, no idea where I'm going. So I've kind of hid them away, and they're they're walking me out into this jungle and I'm thinking, right, conform, conform at the moment. Definitely conform at a moment, because there's a bunch of people here, and if I start kicking off, you know, I just get grabbed taken into some you know somewhere and it's bad news. But there's only two of these guys and they're going to walk me out into this bush. No one's else going to be there. That's like my olds are best there, right, So they kind of walked me out into the bush. I empty my bag. I just give them. I had some biscuits. I slap it in the Geezer's hand and just bouncing. I'm like, right, off we go, running, You're gone, yeah, boom off, and I'm kind of I'm scattery here. The guys are shouting, but they didn't seem to chase me immediately. Something right, Let's just get out of here, like off we go. And then over the course of the next half hour hour, I'm hearing like motor bikes I'm hearing people shouting in the bushes, I'm hearing people running through it, and I'm just like, I'm an anxious to put it in concepts. We've heard a million stories of of of d r C, of people getting you know, wrists snapped off for less than a quid, watch is stolen, like all of it, so much horrific stuff. And on both sides, by the way, like I think Europeans have gone in there previously in a Belgium, you know, from all accounts, did a pretty horrendous job out there as well. So i think they're quite scared of me, and I'm also quite scared of them. It just creates a really like everyone's acting out of fear. But I eventually get away onto this road that's taking me to this meeting point where the boys are proposed, and I eventually get there. But by this point, I've done fifty k, I've run out of water ages, I've got no food, you know, I've got no I done no signal for hours, and I'm on my last legs here. I'm I'm getting up to this village and I'm like, I'm really cooked. I'm like, I need the boys to be here. Because I'm just done in now they're not there, and I kind of poke my head around see if this big blue van is there. It's not there. And I'm thinking, right, well, we need to get out of here asap too. And I've kind of worked out if I had about ten twenty kilometers down this road, then there's and I'll make it back to the last tarmac road that we were on. And I was like, they must be there. That's the only logical, you know, they would wait that at that point if they can't get there. So I start making my way down this road pretty out of it, and then two more guys pull up on a motorbike and they try and stop me and they say like, look you well they can't speak any English, but I'm trying to work out what they say. And they said and me, which is friends in French. And I thought, okay, they've said friends. Maybe they you know, maybe they're talking about they're going to take me to my friends. So it's getting dark at it's starting to get dark. At this point, I'm obviously extremely dej and I'm like, well, I ain't I if I say no, And I try and get back on my feet. One I'm not even sure I'm going to be able to get there too. If I do, there's no saying that they're going to be there. And then three, you know, if anything goes wrong, I'm looking at a night in the jungle here with no water, the ich, there's snakes running about, there's an angry set of villagers that are already looking for me. You know, this could this could be my best bet. So I get on the back of this bike and I think to myself, the boys are no more than sort of ten care away. So if I'm on the bike for more than half an hour, then I might be in trouble. But until then, like really, I was trying to put my mind at rest. Right now, it's going to be all right. Then half an hour goes by stealing a bike, hour goes by stelling a bike, two hours, three hours, five hours, seven hours, no seven hours. Yeah, so I spent seven hours on this bike get to this rural conglese village, right And at this point, you know, you can imagine the amount of things going from my head at this because I'm just trying to analyze the situation as best possible. Going okay, but you know, you know, I'm on this bike and I'm getting off every you know, half an hour, So I kicking off a bit to see what they're doing. They're getting more and more hostile. But the more I'm getting off and causing a bit of a problem. And I'm thinking to myself, right, like, if they were going to rob me, then I've done they would have just done it, right, Well, why are we going to the rural? Like while we're going rural and into this jungle, we're going away from everything. And I'm like, they're either taking me to hold me like my folk. They're taking me to hold me ransom, or they're taking me to kill me somewhere. And I was, I was just flopping between those two things in my mind, like and I was like, ah, maybe they've seen like stuff we've been putting out of our stuff on Instagram. We've got quite a lot of traction Instagram. Maybe they've seen some of that and been like, ah, you know, followers equals is rich, let's like get him in. So yeah, I mean that's seven hours on a motorbike. I was, you know, everything went through my head, and you know, it got to the point where I thought, oh, I think this you know this could be here. I'm like, that's this might be me. I've pushed it too far, and now I'm going to find out for real, for real. And you know, I just thought about what I thought about everyone I'm letting down at home, my friends, my family, my girlfriend, you know, all of these things. I said like, Oh, we're going to make it work. We're going to get through it, and we're going to raise all this my and it's going to be such a great you know thing. And and then here I was on my silly little mission about to get you know, get myself off yeah for this, and it was, you know, I was. It was, you know, the hardest, hardest little moment ever there And did you were you?
Speaker 2: Were you that knacker that you just didn't you didn't care, you just sort of gave.
Speaker 3: Up for a moment. I was, I would say for the first few hours, I was intensely like trying to figure out a solution. And then you know, when I realized you can't get off the bike and run because you're in the middle of the jungle. They'll know the area much better than you. It's already you know, it's from my experience in DRC as well, it's not like I thought, if I run to a village, they'll keep me safe. It was more like, if I run to a village, then they'll probably just do the same That was my experience. Then they'll probably just do the same thing. So I didn't feel safe and that I could get anywhere or do really anything about my situation. I was like, well, you're going to have to sit on this motorbike. And you know, I've been going on a spiritual journey as well throughout that kind of probably the year or so before meeting my girlfriend who's who's a Christian and then and I was kind of going on that journey myself, and I just you know, there was a point in that motbike where I just thought, this is this is in God's hands right now, and whatever's happening is happening. And I don't know necessarily why. I don't understand, but I am just a man, I'm just a human. I wasn't meant to understand everything. And you know, I'm going to trust that what God's plan here is the best thing for me. And it's just a case of how painful will this turn out to be?
Speaker 2: So what what what happens? To you obviously end up back with your team back. How did that come about?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we you know, we've driven seven hours into this rural village and we've got there. It's the middle of the night. It's the maddest thing I've ever seen, because you know, they're not They've got a few they've got a couple of light bulbs here and there, but no real electricity. The village has made out of kind of like corrugated iron roofs and then wooden kind of shed so it's more like a structure of sheds rather than what you would call houses. There's obviously no timac on the road, so it's completely dirt roads. And I get there and i'm you know, I'm at that point I'm thinking, okay, like we're about to find out now, and I'm just extremely anxious. So they kind of march me into this little shack building and a load of the men from the village gather. They all start arguing. It gets a bit more progressively heated, and I can't understand anything they're saying, but you know, I can still read body language, so I'm just kind of trying to work out the hierarchy here. Who's in charge, who's definitely not in charge all of this type of stuff. And I can see that they're arguing about kind of money and me and all this stuff. So I'm thinking, all right, okay, you know, well at least i'm you know, at least I'm not. It's looking to me at this situation like they just want they want money out of me more than anything, is what I'm thinking. And then the guy, a guy rolls in and can immediately see he's got authority amongst everyone, and it turns out he was the second chief of the village. And he said to me, like, you speak to me English very slowly, and I was like, thank god, right, and I said to him, like, look, big mistake. If we make contact with my friends, they come, they bring you money, right. And then from that moment on, you know, we we went. We were able to make contact with with my friends and explain the situation, and then they kind of started this kind of two day rescue mission to get out into the rural conglese village and then you know, we handed everyone some money. Everything was squared up, and you know I was allowed to leave.
Speaker 2: Wow, So you not an EU, you know, going through it physically, you know, emotionally psychologically, you know, you're drained at this point, and then to want to risk all of that again, What was what was going through your head?
Speaker 3: Mate?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So, I mean, I think the backup moment bike was the only time in the mission where I really contemplated what I was doing in terms of like, do I really want to be doing this kind of thing? Yeah? That was the only time I ever really asked myself the question. Once we got away, I got out of I thought to myself, like, we've come this far, and if I quit now, it's all for nothing. Or I can carry on pushing through and complete everything that I set out to achieve. You know, I did think about it properly, but I thought, do you know what, like, there's just no way I can let this negative experience to find defind me like that, And uh, you know, the next day I was up and running again. I think as well, like part of my experience up until that point had taught me is that you know, when you're in the bad moments and the bad things do happen, the only way out of that really is to go straight through it. Because I think, like, if I think about myself as a person. I think if I had quit at that point, then it would have eaten me up. It would have eaten me up that I quit because that happened. So I was like, well, I get it. I get it.
Speaker 2: And so Mate, you say, you crack on telt me about crossing the finish line. So mate, listen, it doesn't get much better than that. What was it like crossing that finish because I know the world at this stage, Mate, was fully awake. And how how did you feel, mate, that you could finally let everything go? Yeah, I think really hard to kind of put that, put that all into words. I remember, you know, that last that last few days was quite emotional because it was a lot of lasts, and it was this had been you know, three ingred and fifty two days on the road, right, running marath more than a marathon every day. It had become a way of life, and I knew that it was all ending. So for me, you know, like I've woken up on that last day and I'm like saying goodbye to the boys, the boys that have been there for so much of this journey as well.
Speaker 3: So like immediately, you know, water works on and off all day. I'm extremely emotional seeing my dad for the first time in over fourteen months, likewise, with my mom and my girlfriend and my brothers. And I remember coming over that hill, right, so there's the last hill before I could see the med And I've been looking forward to this Mediterranean Sea for over a year, right of everything that we'd had to overcome to get there. And I mean that in the sense everything I'd had to overcome in Africa, but also before that, and immediately when I when I ran over that hill, I had like a flashback to I was seventeen. I was I was having a really I was struggling a lot. I remember I had my I was living by myself in this flat and I was working about five jobs, cleaning, scrubbing toilets, anything I could to kind of just pay my way, pay my living, survive, literally survive. And I was, you know, I remember being seventy. I opened this cupboard in my kitchen and I looked at tin and new potatoes from little that I had then it was all I had for dinner that night. And I remember staring at this tin of new potatoes for a few minutes at that point in my life, thinking where is my life? Going what like what am I going to do with my life? What direction am I heading in? Like I'm desperate to make something good of my life, and I just don't know if I can. And then I thought of that when I was running over this hill and sort of med and I just had like that moment where it's like, you know, we made it, rush, like we did it, Like I'm proud of you, Like we we got through all of that. Mate, that's a fucking hell.
Speaker 2: That's that's put the hairs up on my arms because you know, I have flashback like that. You know, there's there's some trauma that you've obviously flipped into the life experience, which I love. You know, you've obviously revisited a traumatic situation and you flipped it into a life experience from the magnitude of the task that you've just achieved. You probably don't even realize that you've done that. But I can't make the whole well newed about and knew about you? How how surreal was it that you went and never a nobody because nobody's a nobody, but when you went there and you had ten grand in your pocket to bring this global sort of matter sort of Elite Endurance Runner and then known as Endurance.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it was it was wild. I mean, I'm sure you can, like with a lot of stuff you've done, right, you can't back to the UK after a long time, whatever it is that you've been doing, and you just kind of look at everything with a totally new perspective. I remember I landed in London. I was looking around London going like, look at these skyscrapers. Man, Like, obviously, you know that's just a part of normal life for a lot of us. But I was like looking at the city of London, going like, do you know people have built this over thousands of years of sacrifice and hard work and the like, and this is the accumulation of all of that in one you know, in one spot. Like how incredible are humans? And I was like, I'm having those kind of thoughts looking at like it is incredible what we're like, what people have done, and everyone's just batting around and I'm going, how good is like a double cheeseburger. There's a lot of hard adjustments and I think it's still I think it's still an ongoing process for me. But yeah, it's been even like getting recognized on the street and stuff like this was a new one. Yes, surreal, But.
Speaker 2: The good thing about it is the beautiful thing about it us is you're getting recognized because you're You've inspired people, you motivated people, you have changed people's lives, You've changed people's perspective, you've changed the way people, you know, tackle things and look at things differently. It's phenomenal when you do something like that because people look at you and go, goh, it's possible. It is possible if you, if you, if you've got the right people around you, you've got the right mindset, you've got the right purpose and ambitions in life, and there's nothing out there that can't necessarily be achieved. Mate.
Speaker 3: What's next with the Hardest Skeys? Good? Yeah, good question. I think since finish in Africa, I've thought about a lot of different things, and for me, I kind of settled on I really want to make sure that whatever we're doing moving forward, we're having that positive impact. We're inspiring people to take on the adventure of their life. So doing it in a few different ways. I've set up Hardest Adventures. We're going to continue making our content that that delivers that message and I've also just set up a warehouse in my hometown. We're partnering with the running charity there and we're going to be delivering impact sessions for young vulnerable people all over Worthing and Brighton as well. So yeah, lots going on, busy, busy with it all, but it's all good stuff, mate, can't go flat. Listen. Love your loads, mate, your big inspiration.
Speaker 2: I love your story, I love following you, and I'm looking forward to seeing what's next.
Speaker 3: Mate.
Speaker 2: Listen, keep up the good work, keep inspiring and thanks for coming on buddy.
Speaker 3: Cheers Anne, I appreciate it. Mate.
Speaker 2: Russ Cook is the author of the Hardest Geezer Mind over Miles. If you'd like to find out more on link the details in the show notes. Thanks for joining me on this episode of head Game. If you enjoyed this episode, please share it with a friend.
Speaker 3: I'm at Middleton. See you again next time.