Speaker 1: Apodjake Production. Welcome back to another episode about My Bad Mum podcast. We were just chatting just before we hit record about food and like adults, like as much we are, I would say, almost border on neurotic with our kids and eating, like we are all about you haven't finished, you haven't had enough. You need to have the goodness, eat the vegetables. Like we've talked about this on many episodes. Elsie doesn't eat fruit veggie. She's very proud of the fact she doesn't eat fruit vegetables. And so you've spent years hiding it and hustling it. Yeah, mixed meals. But what we realize is that as mums, we forget about ourselves.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, Yeah, Like the.
Speaker 1: Amount of time do you make sure your kids have got breakfast and they're eating it in the car on the way to school or whatever it might be. You didn't think about yourself, what you need to eat. You forgot to have dinner.
Speaker 3: Yesterday, I genuinely got pulled up by my own daughter. There's days where you just like do stuff and then you don't actually sort of take it in until you say it out aloud. And it was like one of those moments, you know, when you just flat and energy, you're just not your usual And I was like, I just don't feel my best self right now. And she turned to me and did what I normally do to them, which is, how much water have you had today?
Speaker 2: What have you actually eaten today?
Speaker 3: Mum. I then said out aloud to her, I have had two long blacks, a small cross on, and then one sushi roll. I just got schooled by my own child.
Speaker 2: But I was so proud of her. At the same time, weird, well.
Speaker 1: Because she's learnt it from you, but you just don't do it for yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 3: But it's so funny because like literally both of them come home with their school bags, get your school lunchbox out, whatever's in it, you finish it. I'm not wasting the food that's in it kind of thing. Both my girls know now that's a non negotiable, so they're actually getting way better with it. But at the same time, got schooled by my ten year old, and she was right.
Speaker 1: The amount of times that I've said to the girls I've picked them up from school over the years and it's like three p thirty or whatever, and they're like, we're so hungry.
Speaker 2: Please, I get it. Every afternoon you're starving.
Speaker 1: When you're starving, I'm about to get you afternoon tea. I haven't even had lunch yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Am I a bad mom for throwing a technology tantrum? Oh?
Speaker 1: This isn't me every day. This was me this morning. I got so frustrated on my computer. I was like, why is it not working?
Speaker 3: I feel like I have probably one of those moments on the daily. There'll be something that I'll go just don't get it. I just don't understand why is it doing this? And you sort of look around like anybody. The tip of the iceberg is when the kids know how.
Speaker 2: To fix it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh, my kids grab my phone off me and like you need to do much. I'm happy to do it like that, they say to me. When I go to typing Google before I search something, They're like, Mom, you don't have to type in Google, you just search it. I was like, no, but I like doing that. It's the same with the brightness, Like I like to have my brightness up full.
Speaker 2: How much abuse do you cop on text message?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I know, And I try and be like quite friendly with my text messages, like.
Speaker 2: Give it what's friendly.
Speaker 1: I'll do like the love heart emoji. Yeah, Miley fan.
Speaker 3: But your lovely message and the way that I'm feeling when I read it, It's going to be two totally different things because of my feelings.
Speaker 2: Does that make sense to you?
Speaker 3: Like for me, I'm like typing away like you'll know I'm angry because it'll just come through with like it'll be like what the fuck, but it'll be in like capitals, and I think we can even emphasize it now to make it bigger. So at rattles, so you know that, right, yelling yelling, yeah, yelling at you.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It's funny because they were talking about messages that they write and then there was this guy that they were talking to and they were like, Mum, He's like he just writes this, and I was like, he is not putting any thought into it.
Speaker 2: That's why because we.
Speaker 1: Overthink it and we go how are they reading that? Like how does that sound? All them? Whereas guys like my husband, he would just write something and I'm like that doesn't sound very friendly. He's like, it is what I'm saying, Like, it's that's what I want to say, because I'm like, yeah, put a smiley face at the end or something just to show that you're being nice, You're saying it in a nice way because text are so hard to read.
Speaker 3: The text messages are hard to read because your feelings are attached to them. I've had this conversation with so many times around the way that I send it and the way that you read it. My environment's different to where you are, like circumstantial, it's different.
Speaker 2: Everything's different. So technically, if you have any shit.
Speaker 3: Day and you're in shit surroundings and I still send you a really nice message, you might not take it as a nice message because you're like under the pump, under pressure, feeling all the feelings, whereas I'm like, over here, I'll live me my best life, smiley face, kiss, kiss, love you lots.
Speaker 2: And you're like I didn't get that. I didn't feel like that, you know, like it doesn't make sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think this is why people do voice messages.
Speaker 2: We don't voice message.
Speaker 1: No, my girls do all the time. And I do have some people.
Speaker 2: Like Luke loves voice messaging.
Speaker 1: That voice message, and so I have voice message back. But I overthink it, right, I'm not somebody that's like in my car going hey, blah blah blah blah, whatever the message is. I'm someone that goes, okay, how do I do it again? Okay, so I press on the microphone. Oh shit, now it's sending nothing because I went off it. And then I'll try again, and then I go, oh, hey, so yeah, just on what your no it was, And then I lose my train of thought and I go, no, I can't send that, and then I redo it, and then it's too much. It's too much. I don't just do it.
Speaker 3: Now you're trying to reply like a text message, but in the form of a voice note.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I almost have to hay, how are you? Is it?
Speaker 1: It like completely defeats the purpose of it. But then if you look, that's because of our generation, Like that's the more gen Z thing. I feel like these voice.
Speaker 3: Message Yeah I know, so let's use voice messages. What is the difference This is my question. What is the difference voice messaging and leaving a message on a voicemail? Because I find nowadays no one listens to their fucking voicemail.
Speaker 1: No, no one calls no.
Speaker 2: But my whole thing is, I've just done the same thing. I've left you a voicemail. I didn't get it. It was no different if I dropped you a text with a voice note.
Speaker 1: Yeah, then you'd get it.
Speaker 2: You would get it.
Speaker 3: My voicemail it has this thing where it literally I'll get a bulk set of voicemails on my phone all at once, and I'm like, I'm sorry, i just got your voicemail from three days ago.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure why.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's your phone's problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, but I don't know what's going on.
Speaker 3: But then you go to like WhatsApp or text message and you get a voice note. They're so quick, like it's almost like you're telling a story. My question to you, do you ever re listen to your voice notes and to someone else occasionally?
Speaker 1: And then I'm like, what the fuck are you doing? Just send it? Don't over there.
Speaker 2: But it's not like you're going to go in and rerech do it.
Speaker 1: No, I've certainly done that. I've definitely been there. But I think voice messages is it's having a conversation and they'm understanding how you're saying it. But I don't understand the not actually picking up the phone and having the conversation. But I don't understand yeah, I know people who voice voice voice work for I'm like, pick the fucking phone up. I don't just call you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, like.
Speaker 1: We're so millennial when we say that. But when I look at my dad, Yeah, my dad's what would he be he's seventy.
Speaker 2: You's like, yeah, you's like mine or no, don't ask me this. We've discussed this so many times.
Speaker 1: Whatever the is older, whatever the generation is. My dad will send me a text message and say love Dad at.
Speaker 2: The end, like my dad does the same thing, love Dad.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah I know it's dad because it clearly says dad in my phone when it comes up.
Speaker 2: Just right. Yeah, well, I don't even know what he would write.
Speaker 1: Instead of that, my dad will still face time. I'll go Dad, let me see your new house house. I was like, show me around your new house, and he'll go, oh, okay, how do I switch a camera around? I'm like, we do this same dance every single time. It's just down there like click on the you know, gone that little thing at the bottom, and then it's like, oh, or wherever I gone, where's it gone? It's literally I wish I should record it. Next time it will be the same thing, like just record the whole Oh no, not the cool Now I'm upside down.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna wrap this up.
Speaker 3: And it's not purely like it's nothing to do with obviously your dad's inability of using technology and mine too. But nowadays, even on the dating apps, you can voice note. Ah, So if you were on a dating app, would you voice note someone that you just met and like you were just exchanging text messages for would you send a voice note about who you are and what you're doing?
Speaker 1: Look, I wouldn't, but I get that like my girls.
Speaker 3: Yes, So a friend of mine is on a dating app and this happened. He doesn't like to talk on the phone, like actual talk on the phone as then phone calls or talking on the phone.
Speaker 2: It's weird. I find that weird. She doesn't like to text message.
Speaker 3: So in order to exchange what is it called, like chat on I think it's Tinder or Hinde or whatever it was was that she you just voice note the whole thing. So it's like, Hi, my name is such and such, this is what I'm into you my friends think this and me like like, and then he would just text back.
Speaker 2: Do you find that would be weird for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you're I feel like you should both be doing the same same right. Is it a voice message? Is it a text?
Speaker 3: I find voice messages are so much more personal because like I'm talking to you.
Speaker 1: The thing that makes me laugh is that we are all about phones these days. We have a phone everywhere we go. We are always on our phones. Apart from we do not use a phone for a phone. We do not use the phone part of the phone.
Speaker 3: I know, why why don't you like calling people? People don't like talking on the phone anymore.
Speaker 2: It blows my mind.
Speaker 1: I'd be like, hi, missus, Evan, just like chill there please, And then someone will pick up the phone upstairs and you go put the phone down. I'm on it.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: If you had two phones in the hours, Oh how embarrassing.
Speaker 2: Put the phone down and talking to a boy and you're like, you'd.
Speaker 1: Have like a sibling. My sister would pick up the phone and she'd be listening to my conversation, and then you'd hear a little giggle. Let me Gary, Yeah, I had a boyfriend called Gary. He drove a Ford escort.
Speaker 3: Oh me, Gary, Gary's here, o, Katie, Gary's on the phone for you.
Speaker 2: Hi Gary, Hi, Gary Gays is picking me up tonight, if you know what I mean. See how kids, our kids are gonna miss out on all of this. I feel sorry for them.
Speaker 3: They wouldn't even get to date a guy named Gary.
Speaker 1: Do you know who my hall passes? You know you can get a Hall past?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah.
Speaker 1: Mine was always Colin Farrell, but I always had a she with the name Colin, like I Colin.
Speaker 2: Colin. Colin's on the phone for you.