Speaker 1: From The Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Friday, May seventeen. Peter Dutton is proposing a dramatic federal intervention into the criminal justice system to make Australian safer, including tougher knife laws, a crackdown on bail and new Commonwealth laws prohibiting domestic violence offenders using digital technology to stalk or control their victims. Coming up later in the episode, We've got a Friday treat for you, a dive into the glamour and the silliness of Australian Fashion Week, which has just wrapped. Our expert from Vogue Australia tells us why we might all be wearing bonnets before too long, and why even in today's tough economic climate, designers think it's worthwhile spending one hundred thousand dollars or more to stage a runway shop. Stay with us.
Speaker 2: I give a call to the Hororable, the leader of the Opposition.
Speaker 1: If the Federal budget is a bit like school speech night, with everyone wearing their best suits and making very important speeches. The Thursday after budget is muck up Day, when the kids get to go a bit wild. Jim Chalmers delivered a big, ambitious budget on Tuesday designed to ease the cost of living, crush inflation and get labor re elected. And on Thursday night muck up Day, Peter Dutton got to deliver his budget in reply. When you're in opposition, you don't actually have to make all the numbers add up like the government does. You can use the platform to go beyond budget policy and go big on vision. Last year Peter Dutton used his budget in reply to make the case for nuclear power. This year, Dutton's gone for another big theme, the safety of women and everyone in our society.
Speaker 2: A coalition government will provide much needed leadership in tackling knife crime. We will work with states and territories to develop uniform knife laws across all jurisdictions. Laws which will give police the powers to stop and search using detective ones like Queensland's Jack's Law, and laws which will limit and restrict the sale and possession of knives to minors and dangerous individuals.
Speaker 1: Dutton is calling on his law and order credentials.
Speaker 2: As a former police officer. The horrific scenes of beaten women and distraught children I encountered stay with me. To this day, as do the memories of taking women who are shaking with fear to shelters and safe homes and helping them relocate with their children to safety.
Speaker 1: Dutton's promising a radical overhaul of the way crime and justice, which are usually left to the states and territories, will be handled. He's promising to tighten bail laws, but hasn't said how he'll get the labor states to fall into line.
Speaker 2: Recently, Molly Tyshurst, to twenty eight year old mother from New South Wales, was murdered because her violent expartner was on bailed. The Coalition government will make it in fence to use mobile phones and computer networks to cause an intimate partner or family member fear for their personal safety, to track them using spywaar, or to engage in coercive behaviors. We will toughen the bail laws that apply to these Newcommonwealth offenses.
Speaker 1: The Budget in reply is also a platform to seledge the government.
Speaker 2: This labor government has made life so much tougher for Australians. This labor government has set our country on a very dangerous course. It started with the Prime Minister's voice referendum not only did it waste four hundred and fifty million dollars which could have helped families with the cost of living pressures that you're now facing. The referendum also divided our nation. You, your family, your children, and our country can't afford another three years of this government. I know how to make decisions to get our country back on track.
Speaker 1: It's been a big week for politics and crime. So join us as we put one stiletto in front of the other and strut right into fashion week. Don't forget to subscribe to The Australian at the Australian dot com dot you. It's amazing value, all Australia's best journalism twenty four to seven and it won't make you look ridiculous. Check it out at the Australian dot com dotu and we'll be back after this break. Hello, thanks Jaws. I cannot wait to see what the girls are wearing.
Speaker 3: What are you wearing?
Speaker 1: That's a fashion shrend that you can't get enough of? My sunglasses adult Chanek Vanna from designer I Outfit One.
Speaker 2: This is for the Eric Vaughn Show.
Speaker 3: We're doing white Sands today follow on my show. Yeah, so we're gonna be naked pretty much, except they won't let me wear bikini because I'm only said yeah.
Speaker 1: Francisca Wallace's Bogustralia's digital director, Francisca, you've been down at fashion Week this week? What have you seen on the runway?
Speaker 3: First, there's lots going on, lots of emerging designers, which has been really really nice to see.
Speaker 4: Amy Lawrence was a standout for me.
Speaker 3: She's an incredible Melbourne based designer who was doing the most beautiful kind of structural gowns, these gorgeous little sort of head pieces and bonnets, which I think will.
Speaker 4: Become very popular.
Speaker 3: And Rory William Jockerty who's a New Zealand based designer who's doing some very interesting work with prints and layering and texture. I think both really exciting names for.
Speaker 4: Us to watch.
Speaker 3: Also, lots going on in the street because it is such an important part of fashion week now as well what goes on outside the shows. So yeah, lots of red, lots of Western and cowboy inspired outfits. There's a lot of metallics, a lot of sheer, a lot of little caps and hats.
Speaker 1: I've seen a story on Bogustralia about tiny hats, in particular leather berets. You mentioned bonnets. Are Australians willing to embrace the hat? Do you think in anything more than just a straw hat at the beach?
Speaker 3: I think we might be. I think the tide may be shifting on the hat. I'm for one, I'm very excited about that because I love a cap. I think the cap is the gateway hat into the rest of the hats.
Speaker 1: So why that's a relief I was worrying about the bonnet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, don't worry. That's the advance level.
Speaker 3: Everyone else can start with a cap and work their way upwards. This season, and what's been brewing over the last couple of years is a real sense of personal style. I think that's something that we talk about a lot of vogue, and we're really glad that it's permeated the kind of cultural conversation. And I do think that's a lot in part to TikTok, because that encourages individuality in a sense. It also encourages a lot of conformity, which is another element of it. But there's also this generation that are growing up with the idea that you know, you really want to express your personal style and they're sort of learning about personal style a lot earlier than I think many of us, and I know that I did.
Speaker 1: The past decade's biggest trend has been activewear, taking your joggers to work and the cocktail bar, maybe even with a sports bra and a bum bag. That's largely due to Pip Edwards, the designer behind at leisure label pe Nation. It's full of big, bold prints and Pip's own initial emblazed on everything. She's used this fashion week to relaunch the label completely.
Speaker 4: Do you want to introduce yourself? Oh yeah, I mean you don't really need any passion.
Speaker 3: But like I'm Pep Edwards, the co founder and creative director of Peny Nation.
Speaker 4: What are you wearing? Are you tough? I am wearing pe Nation.
Speaker 1: Naturally, Edwards is smart enough to use fashion week not as an opportunity to flex, but to sell.
Speaker 3: Pip is definitely a marketing genius, and there was a lot of change with this collection. I think what we're seeing now is active wear as ready to wear. In Austraya, We've been wearing active wears clothing for a long time. But what's different about this is it felt like there were more pieces that you could wear in the every day rather than just for exercising. There were also a lot less logos, the colors were a lot more muted. Who you kind of want these basics to work harder for you, and you can wear something like a pant or a legging or a short not just to work out, but you can also wear it and actually look really great wearing an out to lunch to dinner. So I don't think that's going anywhere. And Australians absolutely love a piece of active wear that can do double duty for them.
Speaker 1: This year marks the twenty eighth anniversary of Fashion Week. When it started, the buyers for department stores of London and New York were the most powerful forces, along with magazine editors. Now everything has changed. The power has shifted to online retailers like Netaporte and to influencers. The cost of staging a show is immense.
Speaker 3: I've heard of shows that have nudged into the six figures, over one hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: More more than that, you have to pay for models.
Speaker 3: You have to pay for makeup artists, hair, there's seating, there's music, there's the whole av production that goes into it. You have to pay for something as simple as shoes can be extremely expensive if you don't make them yourself. And then there's of course all the pr and the marketing that goes into it, and the guest list and everything that creates a whole lot of management.
Speaker 4: So it's very expensive.
Speaker 3: It can be very confronting for a lot of especially emerging designers, though I think the industry does have to take a look at how it's supporting young designers and see where we can lift them up there.
Speaker 1: Australia's fashion industry is facing the same manufacturing and cost of production challenges that are making on shore productions so hard for all manufacturers.
Speaker 4: Obviously, manufacturing locally is extremely expensive. We're all looking for Australie made clothes, but is it too expensive to actually make them in Australia. How do we mitigate that? And Vogue was a part of an event.
Speaker 3: Last week actually at Kuberley House with Jodi Hayden, and that was all about the fashion and the tech innovation space to make this more viable industry locally, but also just the shipping costs and the staff costs and all the sort of logistics, and you do have to realistically fly to Paris and New York a couple of times a year to sell your product, to sort of be there and do the sales directly with the buyers. So there's all this travel, all these prohibitive costs that can really add up as well, which is why the clothes that are made here is so expensive, which we personally think at Vogue that it's a worswhile investment, but that's not always the case, and not every customer, especially with the cost of living crisis, is sort of able to afford those clothes.
Speaker 1: Francesca Wallace is Vogue's digital director. Check out their coverage of fashion Week at Vogue dot com dot a You thanks for being with us this week on the front. Our team is Kristin amiot Leat, Sam mcglue, Joshua Burton, Jasper League, Tiffany Diarmac, Matthew Condon and me Claire Harvey. Don't forget to join our subscribers and support Australia's best journalism at The Australian dot com dot a U