Speaker 1: On scords Ostrodio. This is the Reader Panalty Show.
Speaker 2: Good evening and welcome to the readA panicky show. Coming up on tonight's program, Opposition leader Peter Dutton attacked by the media, big business and smaller liberals. Will an energy policy that prioritizes costs and reliability over emission cuts be a winning strategy for the coalition. I'll speak with Nick Kata about that shortly.
Speaker 3: Also tonight we'll look at the teacher shortage and the fallout on the King's Birthday honors list, and we're checking on the Leader of the Free World with Adam B.
Speaker 2: Coleman, and of course Left is losing it.
Speaker 4: Did you know that queer and trans people actually experience time completely differently to sishap people. It's a concept called queer temporality.
Speaker 2: Joining me now is Harold's son columnist Patrick Carline. And let's start with the King's Birthday on his list. A poll in the Herald Sun shows that ninety five percent of respondents did not believe former Premier Dan Andrews deserve the nation's highest King's Birthday on after he received a Companion of the Order of Australia award. Even a clear majority of age readers thought the same, Only four inten saying Andrews deserve this award. Patrick, there is a real depth of ill feeling here.
Speaker 5: It's visceral read it's too soon.
Speaker 6: I mean, we're still recovering from lockdowns and Victoria we had record lockdowns.
Speaker 5: And we feel ripped off.
Speaker 6: There is a very vocal and significant minority if you look at elections who really can't stand Dan Andrews and can't can't stand to see him held up in lights. And if you look at the award, it was for explicitly mentioned health and infrastructure. Now by any measure, by any measure, you'd say, well, that's a blotted record at best.
Speaker 5: It's too soon.
Speaker 2: Is too soon at a time when the health outcomes in Victoria where the worst in the country on every metric that matters, whether you're talking about the death rate, whether you're talking about the amount of time we spent under lockdown, whether you're talking about the devastating economic consequences. As for the projects, every project is grotesquely over budgets, So how can you be awarded for that for just green lighting projects where the state is in record debt. It cannot afford it. We've had projects cut like the Commonwealth Games, costing its hundreds of millions of dollars not to hold the games. Just the rationale behind this award again seems to be bizarre. Is there a way to get some understanding of how they came to this decision, if there was any debate about it before they decided to go ahead.
Speaker 6: Well, look, the process is somebody nominates you, and I think there's references and so on, but it's all fairly secretive in the sense that we don't actually get to see transparently.
Speaker 5: How this came about.
Speaker 6: And I think you look at somebody like Kevin rud or Jeff Kenneth, two divisive politicians, very different politicians from one another. They got AC's eventually well after they've been in office, and they did actually do things in servers that was recognized in those awards. To have this happen so soon, it is too soon. It is ridiculous, and it is very upsetting to a lot of Victorians.
Speaker 2: It's just funny that a man who has been blacklisted, we are told from golf clubs across the Mornington Peninsula, yes, has not God the highest honor. We've got available in this country. I've got a piece in tomorrow's Herald Sun. It's online now. About this week has to be the final straw for the honor system in this It has been hopelessly pillarticized and needs to be replaced. The entire process needs to be reviewed because this isn't isolated. It's not just this year's awards, and this year it's not just Dan Andrews. You've got former WA governor, governor in US politics, Premier Mark McGowan and leftist activists and our new governor General Sam Mouston also getting the highest honor. And I would question the merits of both those awards going to two people who've been richly rewarded for their roles in public life.
Speaker 6: I don't think people Australians want to see people recognize for just doing their job. And look at Stan's accused as it is, has been politically corrupted by these.
Speaker 5: Kinds of awards and the tracks.
Speaker 6: The really sad thing is there's so many worthy people who have given of themselves, who have done things above and beyond, whether it's in science or the arts or music or whatever. They deserve to be recognized. Police actually tarnishes what they have achieved.
Speaker 2: I would love to see it go to unknowns, go to people who volunteer, who devote their life to helping others for no reward, financial or otherwise. I think these sorts of awards should be reserved almost exclusively for them. Maybe the occasional heroic feat that we all know about, but not to politicians and lifelong public servants. Now let's talk about Victoria police. They were pelted with bottles spat on at a pro Palestinian rally. They've slammed the protests as extremely hostile and disgusting. About three thousand people were again marching through Melbourne's streets. This was on Sunday. The Australian Palestine Advocacy Network they dispute the police's version of events, but here is some footage showing police officers being harassed by these protesters.
Speaker 4: Run Run your.
Speaker 5: Dog.
Speaker 2: You can see there the police walking off as they're being called every name under the sun, as their mothers are called every name under the sun. These activists, these protesters, seem to have little fear of the police.
Speaker 6: There has been a lack of respect throughout the whole sort of protest movement since October seven. Hasn't there a complete lack of respect for the police also the Jewish community which feels unsafe. You'd like to think that they have overplayed the hand by now in the sense that most of the Australians are saying, hang on, this is this is not a peace protest. This is not about making the world a better place at its extremes. It's about annihilating a country and breathing its people. And I think most Australians, apart from the Greens, perhaps actually looking at this and saying, hang on, look, it's awful what's happening in Gaza. But there are hostages there. You can understand why it has come about. The reason it has come about is because of a terrorist organization called Hamas.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, But if I could almost guarantee, because we've seen this happen overseas, if you went along to one of these protests and you held up an anti Hamas sign so nothing else about this conflict other than Hamas are terrorists, you would be attacked by these protesters. So that tells you where we're at. And I think police command deserve a great deal of blame for what we just saw there because they have allowed a lot of this to happen. We saw them come down on anti lockdown protesters who were peaceful, and then this lot are just given free reim to do what they like. Talking about Israel, we've seen now footage released of the dramatic moment that the forces stormed a house that was holding hostages, taken October seven.
Speaker 7: W goodness, I didn't terrifying.
Speaker 2: Almost looks like a video game. You can't believe that's real. And you may have noticed the fist pump between the one of the hostages and a rescuer there. And despite the wonderful news of these hostages being recovered after eight months, we've got the likes of the Greens in this country, Patrick questioning the manner in which the Israelis went about this rescue mission.
Speaker 6: Yes, look, I think the Greens are out of step with what Australians believe in and values. I think if one hundred and forty or one hundred and fifty Australians were taken hostage by another country, every Australian would want this country to do its best to get them back. And that's what's been forgotten in this whole debate in Australia, and has been hijacked by the Greens. Is Israel, you would expect any country to go and get its own people, say of its own people. Again, it was a terrorist organization that made all this happen.
Speaker 5: These awful scenes that we see in.
Speaker 6: Gaza are not because of Israel, not because of anything Israel did on October seventh. It's because of what happened, because of what Hamas chose to happen. And look, that footage is critical. Everyone should see that because it as a reminder of what this actually is about.
Speaker 2: And they lost a commander during that rescue the Israelis, so it was a highly risky operation. And I can and I think everyone, if they're being honest, would admit this. If it was your child who was taken hostage by these terrorists, you would want them back at any cost. And to now scrutinize how they went about it, I think again you're holding Israel to a different standard than just about every other country. Now to a wonderful piece in Today's Daily Telegraph by Tim Blair, here is written about the climate cult, noting that liberal leader Peter Dutton's entirely reasonable review of our self destructive support for the Paris Agreement is now nudging Prime Minister Anthony Alberan easy and climate tantrum bluster them in start Chris Bowen towards the lava line. The lava line, you need to read the full column to get that line. But this is self destruction and it seems the Labor government is doubling down. The Australians revealed that they're now looking at hiking our carbon emission targets. In response Tod's comments, is this going to be alban easy pushing the self destruct button or is he on safe ground here because once Scott Morrison committed the Coalition to net zero, we stopped debating this issue in this country.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 6: Look, the one point I would make is if you go to a barbecue these days, nobody's talking about the Paris Agreement and whether we're.
Speaker 5: Holding up what we have to do.
Speaker 6: We're talking about energy prices, we're talking about blackouts in the future, we're talking about reliability or something that we're taken for granted for generations and suddenly it's all up in the air. And to sort of say well, no, when you have this mission, this is our ideology, we're going to make it happen everybody else. All the experts say the renewables target is not going to happen. It's not going to happen by twenty thirty, and people want to know that their energy can be reliable and can be relatively cheap. And that's something that I think Albani and certainly Chris Bowen have lost sight of when they're talking about this, and I think they've misread the electorate somewhat.
Speaker 2: I think they have because they've had the advantage of not debating the Coalition on this. The Coalition has signed up to these net zero targets, and if there's a real debate, I think they're going to be surprised by where many Australians land. Not the media, they'll have the media on their side. Labor before you go, I've got to ask you about this. The Canadian Cancer Society has apologized for using the word cervix in pamphlets and website pages about cervical cancer. They acknowledge that they should use the more gender inclusive word front hole. I wish I was joking, I'm not. In their apology, they said, we recognize that many transmen and non binary people may have mixed feelings about or feel distanced from words like cervix. You may prefer other words such as front hole. We recognize the limitations of the words we've used, while also acknowledging the need for simplicity. Another reason we use words like cerfix is to normalize the reality that men can have these body parts. To Patrick arm for one, speechless.
Speaker 6: I think if you go to the oncologist and the oncologist starts talking about your front hole problem, or if you're a man, your golf ball problem or e reilling problem, I think at that point you'd probably find another oncologist.
Speaker 2: You would and you would hope that they would seek some sort of professional help themselves, possibly in the mental health space. Patrick Carline, always a pleasure, My pleasure. Joining me now is Nick cat from their Mensi's Research Center, also a senior columnist with The Australian. Nick Let's start with this piece from Alan Cohla in the New Daily. He says it's time for Australia to switch off gas if it wants to achieve its net zero emission target, saying we should pay households to switch their gas appliances to electric and we should also pay cattle farmers to either offset their methane or remove it in some way. Col also rights. The question is going to be weather and how to encourage or force the gas companies to keep supplying the laggards who like cooking and heating with gas while they're persuaded or subsidized to buy a better electric induction stove.
Speaker 5: Neck.
Speaker 2: Victoria is already sadly heading down this road with banned new gas connections in our new homes that are being built. But is this war on gas going to achieve anything useful for the Australian population.
Speaker 8: It's going to achieve nothing full except make it harder for people to get buy and live.
Speaker 1: I mean, with the cost of living as it needs.
Speaker 8: Is mister Kolo on his well paid job whenever he gets paid saying oh, well, I'm sorry, you've got to go and buy a new cooker. It is absurd, because this whole war on gas is absurd. I mean here in Europe. I'm in London at the moment, but they've just had a European election and the big issue was one of the big issues was immigration, the second was energy, and what people were saying was we don't want to go along with this, and the whole tide of the debate has changed. And it's all because a gas reader, because they were buying gas from Russia, as you know, and it went through the roof. You need gas in the interim. I mean, if we'd love to, we could put nuclear right away. We haven't got it. But in the meantime, we're going to need gas to power up our electricity system. We're going to need it to make fertilizer for farmers, We're going to need it for industrial processes. You know, this green hydrogen thing is some dream in the heads of people like Alan Cola.
Speaker 1: It's a long way down the track, you know.
Speaker 8: Just just get realist what I'd say on this, besides which it'll do absolutely zero to help the planet, zero or so small that you can't even read it, you know, it's tiny.
Speaker 2: You mentioned the EU elections green and left leaning parties that took a beating, who had so called far right parties making huge gains. They campaigned not just against immigration nick but also they campaigned against net zero policies. Should our politicians take note of what is happening across Europe?
Speaker 8: Absolutely they should, because the two issues are big in Australia. I mean, I think if you were to sum up the European vote, people were saying no to net zero, yes to no immigration. You know they don't want more immigration. And the whole debate over net zero and the cost it's adding to people, the pain it's putting on farmers that the electricity bills have gone through the roofing countries like Germany and Ireland where they're heavily reliant on gas. You know, this whole thing is just collapsing very quickly in Europe. Most countries are now admitting they're not going to get to their twenty thirsty targets because they can't. The whole thing is impossible in the timeframe, and sooner or later, of course Australia will come to that position. Even Antoni at in the Albanizi and Chris Bowen mind, I suspect they won't come to it till about twenty twenty nine. But you know it's not going to happen. You cannot meet those targets in that space of time with the technology you have full stop.
Speaker 1: Any engineer will tell you that.
Speaker 2: Now you wrote a fantastic piece for the OS warning Australia's climate lobby that ambitious green energy targets that they're trying to implement, Yeah, have not worked in Germany. Tell me about what's happened in Germany because they turned their back on nuclear, that went down the renewaballs road hard and the results of being almost catastrophic.
Speaker 1: It's been disastrous for Germany.
Speaker 8: This is you know, they were the poster child Europe's post a child of green energy. And I caught the train from Hamburg to Berlin and every field it seems is covered in solar panels and windmills.
Speaker 1: But it's not doing the trick.
Speaker 8: As they found out, you know, when the gas supply went up, you know, the price of gas went up.
Speaker 1: They were just really really hurt. And now the you know, the.
Speaker 8: Electricity price in Germany is the highest in Europe. It's about twice as high as it is across the water there in Sweden where they're running on nuclear and hydro electricity.
Speaker 1: And this is affecting industry.
Speaker 8: Thirty percent of German businesses told their big Chamber of Commerce in a survey that they were looking to relocate offshore. And this is happening and see German industries declining very quickly, and they're moving when they can to places where there's cheaper electricity. It's been a disaster for Germany and it's bringing about their industrial collapse. Once that great country where we used to you know, we always to go there for oudies and washing machines, you won't be getting those from Germany for much longer because they basically stuffed it all.
Speaker 2: Up and all entirely self inflicted and I would say predictable. And they were warned, they were warned about the path they were taking. They were warned that they were far too reliant on Russian energy. I remember Trump warning them during a speech and they were the German contingent there I think it was at the UN were sitting there snickering like schoolgirls instead of actually heeding the warning they were told. And they've ignored it. And it would be absolutely absurd for us to ignore what's happening in Germany at the moment, Nick.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it would. And you know I made the point in the column. It's now twelve years since Angela Merkel, mysteriously well actually under green pressure, said we're not going to We're going to phase out our nuclear plants so they've had twelve years to work out how to power their electricity grid without nuclear, without using coal, without using gas. And these are the German engineers, the same German engineers that gave.
Speaker 1: You vorce frung Dirk technique.
Speaker 8: You know, they are the best in the world, and they can't work it out and the country is suffering as a result. They've just reopened eight coal mines in the last two years, would you believe, because it's cheaper than getting gas in from overseas. They actually knocked down one wind farm to build it to dig up some coal. That's telling you something isn't there. But you know somehow. Chris Bowe, he was in Germany last year. He didn't spot any of this. Apparently he just thinks Germany is the great vision of the future.
Speaker 1: We have to follow. Dream on, mister Boone, dream on.
Speaker 2: Well, we're hearing that the Coalition is war gaming and the possibility of an early election. As the Prime minister, it prepares to fight on energy as a major issue. Dutton's gaining a recent News poll two party per thirty it was fifty to fifty. The Libs primary vote had gone up and the Australian reveals that Anthony Alberanzi is going to use even higher carbon emission targets to fight the coalition. Do you see that as a winning strategy? Nick, Because much of the media is already attacking Peter Dutton for restarting the climate walls, as they call it, We've got elements of the business sector also campaigning for what they call certainty Canton strategy work if he has the media and big business against him.
Speaker 8: Look what they're trying to do, business and labor, and I think of those as one block these days. What they are trying to do is return to the debate that oh, you're a climate denier. Now that debate ended the moment that the coalition signed up to zero twenty fifty for better or worse. Right now, it's all about how you get there and how expensive it is.
Speaker 1: And people know this is a distraction from labor.
Speaker 8: Let's make this about the climate wars again, so that nobody's sort of asked salt ul questions like what happened to that two hundred and seventy five dollars that you promised you were going to take off my electricity bill. Labor is just desperate on this and it won't work Greta because most people in Australia, as we know, if you do a survey on this, actual climate change and zero emissions is way down their list of concerns right now, way way down. And it's I think it's a recipe for losing as because I think we're going to see the same trend that we have here in Europe that people are just going to switch away from green parties and say, well, you know, you're off with the fairies.
Speaker 1: We're not going there with you. We're just not going there.
Speaker 2: Now you're in London, the election there is just a matter of weeks away. What's your feeling we're looking at a labor landslide. All the polls are indicating that Forarjas entered the race quite late. If you were a betting man, what would your.
Speaker 8: Prediction be, Well, I wouldn't be putting any money on Rishi Sudak night. Now I think the betting well, the way the betting is running here is how many seats are the toy is going to end up with, And there are people seriously saying it will be less fewer than one hundred seats. It'll be the worse result I think since the beginning of the last century. It's going to be a landslide for labor. The question is how big is that landslide and how much of the Tory Party is left. Nigel Farage's party, of course, is making big inroads into the Tory vote and then a first past the system that's really damaging. But Faraj himself will not win many seats, you know, three four I would pretict at most because of the way their boundaries fall and the way the election plays out. But he'll help, you know, push the Tories into oblivion. I mean, let's be honest. I mean a government that has been in a longer they have. You know, no government's had five terms in Britain I think for almost two hundred years.
Speaker 1: So they're not going.
Speaker 8: You know, they couldn't effect five terms in the best of times, and so they're gone.
Speaker 1: But it would be nice to see.
Speaker 8: Them have at least be the official opposition and not give that away to the Lib Dems, which is a real possibility if they do as badly as the worst people the worst predictions.
Speaker 2: Well, let's let it be a warning to Codition party, that's true, but let it be a warning to conservative parties everywhere, including here, including our state liberal parties, that this is what happens when you can depletely lose sight of your principles and govern like labor lighte. You just have no supportive base to speak of. Nikota, thank you so much for your time this evening, and still to come. We've got a extended version of Lefty's Losing it and Joe Biden let's loose at a Juneteenth event as black voters fleeing his campaign.
Speaker 1: Adam B.
Speaker 2: Coleman joins me, next, welcome back. Now it's time for lefties losing it. And have you ever considered that time itself could be transphobic? You better throw away your quocks because this next last claims that queer and trans people actually experience time completely differently.
Speaker 4: Did you know that queer and trans people actually experience time completely differently to sis happy. It's a concept called queer temporality, and it basically has to do with the fact that historically, as queer and trans people, our lives have started much later and for a whole bunch of reasons, ended earlier than our CIS counterparts. So as a result, our experience of time is compressed.
Speaker 2: OO wowe, there's a lot to unpack there. What else didn't we know about the passage of time? I could not be more fascinated.
Speaker 4: Those milestones that we've been socialized to use to mark the passage of time to things like marriage or having a children or you know, working, retiring, inheritance, things like that haven't been accessible to us. And that linear timeline has a name, heterochronology.
Speaker 2: There you go, you learn something new every day. Didn't know queer folk were prevented from working and retiring. Now to Lefty Losing It Headquarters MSNBC, which makes the crazy folk at CNN look calm and rational. Here's Adrian L. Rod claiming that it's Trump foreign policy that folks need to fear, not the unholy mess Biden has made over the past three and a half years.
Speaker 9: And during these challenging times on the foreign policy front, on the global front. Can you imagine having done on trum back in the White House trying to manage all of this. I mean, President Biden's a seasoned foreign policy pro He served, of course, as the chair on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee for a long time. He has these relationships with the world leaders that go very, very deep.
Speaker 2: So we're going to be reinforcing the.
Speaker 9: Fact that that's an important attribute that the president has.
Speaker 2: Yes, Adrian, I'm sure the American people are just terrified of Trump returning them to peace and prosperity, to four years of no new wars, of historic peace stills being struck between Israel and Musslim majority nations. Somehow that Biden administration's profound weakness, emboldening the likes of China in a Russia, Iran in North Korea isn't making us safer. We're all shocked. Now back to Australia and the city of Melbourne in the great state of Victoria, where the leftist government has accrued record debt while pushing a relentlessly leftist agenda, and where feral far left activists routinely block city roads for protests and they're not shy about abusing police. Listen here as they taunt the retreat retreating officers with things like run you son of a slut and U and rats charming stuff, run run. I got to say, I do feel for the police working at the cold face there. Woke overlords in police command have taken a knee to this far left lunacy, whether it's BLM or they climate protests or these anti Israeli mobs. Time for some French folk losing it. The EU elections have just taken place and the results were shocking for left is with Europe swinging hard to the right, and some folk took the news better than others. If you want a clueest to wife, so much of Europe is swinging hard to right wing parties. They want to cut immigration and abandon net zero and other new Marxist nonsense. Then look at these scenes from not where in France where Antifa mobs break the window of a building because it's flying the French flag. Yeah, I can't imagine why folks are rejecting socialist lunacy. Time now to visit lawless California and here are folks achieving social justice in Los Angeles. Just kidding, they're just ransacking an auto Zone store.
Speaker 10: The store is just completely trash in a tense, crazy situation. There was a street takeover. This store was mob the AutoZone it ransacking, flipping that store upside down. We also see several people walking out with several pieces of merchandise.
Speaker 2: And time now to check in on the Leader of the Free World here is celebrating the made up holiday Juneteenth, and of course he has no idea what is happening?
Speaker 11: Have you?
Speaker 2: We did not manipulate that footage to make the president look utterly lost and bewildered. That's all Joe, that's all natural. And it didn't get any better when he got up to dance or try to.
Speaker 11: No, I don't want to love nobody. I don't want to love nobody.
Speaker 2: What's he doing with his hands? Again? That footage has not been in any way manipulated. It's not Ai, it's not a deep fake. That's the Leader of the Free world. Not sure who the bearded duty is in the sequent dress who's dancing next to mister Kamala Kamala Harris's husband. But let's just watch a bit more of this.
Speaker 11: I want to love nobody.
Speaker 2: Let's bring in Adam B. Coleman, founder of Wrong Speak Publishing, an author at Adam bacolemanssubstat dot com. Adam first to tell my audience what Juneteenth is. Not many Australians would be across that, and what do you make of the president's obvious cognition of decline. They didn't seem to know what was happening.
Speaker 12: Well, thank you for having me on Juneteenth is something that really originated out of Texas because the last slaves who were notified that they were free were actually in Texas. So Juneteenth is supposed to signify that day when the last of the slaves were freed in America. So it's really something that was more regional until it became a national holiday. But it was more of a regional thing. People have barbecues and stuff like that. It wasn't really seen as a big deal, but it became more so a national holiday. And I guess in some ways it's not necessarily a bad thing. It's a celebration of freedom in the United States. And as far as what's happening with Joe Biden, I think there are a lot of Americans, including black Americans, who are concerned with his very obvious cognitive to Colm, you know, when I was a Democrat, I saw the decline and I couldn't believe that they were still pushing this man forward and somehow he won. So it's only gotten worse since.
Speaker 2: It has. And even four years ago, I was playing some footage a couple of days ago from his campaign into that twenty twenty, and the decline just in that time is very obvious when you look at him back then, and back then he wasn't great either. Now let's talk about the WNBA. Not a topic we broached too often on this program, but I've got to say it's got an attitude problem. They're breaking viewing records thanks largely to one single player, Caitlin Clark. But it's clear most of the young ladies are not ready for prime time. Some of them are claiming harassment when journalists ask them questions, have you got a chance to reach out to Kitlander?
Speaker 1: Come on with her with that?
Speaker 5: Have you got a chance to reach out to Kitland? Trinan? Have you got the chance? The Basketball war wants to know. Have you've got a chance to reach out to her?
Speaker 2: She was being asked about why she felt it was appropriate to give Caitlyn Clark a hip and shoulder as we call it in Aussie rules, and a lot of these Caitlin Clark haters are going to be happy because she has not been selected for the US Olympic team. But I think she showed wonderful grace and gave a very high response when asked about this. Disappointment.
Speaker 4: I'm excited for the girls that are on the team.
Speaker 12: I know it's the most competitive team in.
Speaker 2: The world, and I know I could have gone either way.
Speaker 4: Maybe on the team and maybe on the team, So you know, I'm excited for them.
Speaker 2: Adam, make me understand the vitriol this girl is copying. It's a mystery to us watching on in Australia. She's making these athletes relevant, possibly profitable. Why they're hostile towards her instead of being happy that they're finally getting some attention for their league.
Speaker 12: You know, I might have a different viewpoint on this entire scenario, but I think much of it is somewhat contrived from when she was in college. You know, I know that she has a bit of a reputation as far as being a dirty player herself and trash talking. Not necessarily be a dirty player, but trash talking. And you know, I wonder if people are hyper focusing on the racial narratives that happened during the NCAA tournament and thinking that this is carrying on into the w NBA, when in reality, the WNBA, we might have jokes about it, but it's still the professional league. These are grown women not college students, And just like any other sport NBA as well, there's hard fouls, things like this happen. So I'm not sure if if it is vitriol or if we're just seeing typical basketball play and inserting a narrative. And I think sometimes we can be a little bit carried away as far as seeing this like a Kardashians episode has to tune in tomorrow to see who dislikes Caitlin Clark today. So I think that some of this is just normal basketball stuff. As far as them not being able to handle the limelight, Yeah, they're not used to people paying attention to them or even know who they are, so you know, maybe they're comfortable with that.
Speaker 2: Well, there is definitely a bit of vitriol because you watch some of the press conferences where she's brought up and now the players about her, and a couple of clips I've seen they've refused to answer any questions about her, as if she's some sort of a non entity. So I don't know. There does definitely seem to be a resentment. I'm not saying it's racially based. The media narrative seems to be racially based, with the likes of Sunny Houston on the view making a point about her race. But I don't think that's necessarily where the players are coming from. Now, let's talk about the polls. Donald Trump and Joe Biden are currently tied in Virginia, which is a massive surprise. Biden won Virginia comfortably in twenty twenty, and Governor Glenn Youngkein has said that Trump could be the first Republican president who takes his state in it twenty years. I've got to say, even on my most optimistic day, Adam, I didn't think Virginia was in play.
Speaker 12: Well, there's a lot of moving pieces that are happening right now. Obviously, there are people who are reacting to him getting the felony charge in New York, many people. Obviously, if you hate Donald Trump, this is your super Bowl. But if you are indifferent or somewhat impartial, and you look at all the different core cases that are popping up, and it seems like these are a bit of a stretch of core cases that are or charges that are being brought against him, because they are, you might be waking more people up than you realize. So I think the Democrats might be in this situation helping Donald Trump more than they think. I do have a love hate relationship when it comes to polling because prior to his conviction, they're polling data that was showing that if Donald Trump was to actually have a felony while running for president, that Independence would largely pull away from him. So I don't know if it's a change of viewpoint from Independence or it's just a different poll and they're just getting different results. But I think the polls can show a trend. Maybe Virginia is closer than we thought. But at the end of the day, I don't think anybody, whether you're a Democrat or Republican, should take this as being some sort of victory or a loss. There's a lot of work to be had.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, November is a long time away. But we do love the polls. And let's look at some of the crucial swing states. Some of the latest polling coming out is showing nationally Biden and Trump even but in those swing states it's a different story. He is leading in every swing state by the polls that we saw from yesterday. And look at this poll of four of the swing states of Nevada, Georgia, Arizona, North Carolina showing massive margins to Trump, almost insurmountable, Adam, the margins we are seeing, they're North Carolina seventy eight twenty two, Arizona sixty one thirty nine. And I do wonder whether there's a shift happening in the culture. The Democrats have been so dominant when it comes to pop culture, the celebrity sphere of influence, and my argument is they should have zero influence. No one should be listening to celebrities when they're determining their vote. But the celebrity class do come in hard for the Democrats, whether we're talking about Hollywood A listers or athletes or rock stars. But this time there is just a small number, and it is a small number who are bold enough to side went back in Trump. So it seems like a lot of celebrities are kind of like voting for Trump.
Speaker 7: Now, I mean, why do you think people were kind of like changing their way of Like, I.
Speaker 10: Think we're just we just did our research and we're just you know, we're not brainwashed anymore by the Left.
Speaker 3: I can say that about myself.
Speaker 10: All these years, I've been brainwashed, and I'm not anymore American men.
Speaker 5: I see them identifying with Trump.
Speaker 12: La Trump, you're the man broing to the damn Travis.
Speaker 5: Do what they're doing now, I'll be donated to you.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: Let's get it done. Adam, we don't have much time. Do you think this will have any impact on the election.
Speaker 12: Not really, But I do think it matters that Trump is seen as a counterculture figure, so there might be more and more people that come out. We're in the celebrity class, who maybe you're on the fringe of the celebrity class to say something. But do I think that they're going to push anything over the edge now? I think burg of the people.
Speaker 2: Will Hopefully you're right, because I don't want celebrities from either side swaying anyone's vote. Adam B. Coleman, thank you so much for your time. This evening still to come. Teacher shortages are forcing schools to close classrooms. But what is the real reason teachers are fleeing the profession? Colleen Harken joins me. Next you're watching the Rita Panney Show. Joining me now is the national manager of the IPA's Class Action program, Colleen Haarkean. Colleen, we've got more than fifteen hundred teaching positions vacant in Victoria, with some schools having to split classes or shut early because they can't find any educators to fill the spots. The Herald Sun reports seven hundred and seventy one jobs were posted in the past week. Last year, you might remember Dan Andrews government announced teaching degrees would be free, graduate teachers even being offered bonuses to subsidize their start of their careers in government schools or help them move to regional areas. Why is none of this working.
Speaker 1: Well, Rechad.
Speaker 13: That program that was announced last year actually doesn't start until this year and it takes four years part of it, Yeah, four years for those students to get through the system. But the real question is will they ever be qualified to lead a classroom because our research shows it of that four years that they're about to spend at the university, only ten weeks of it is dedicated to the teaching, learning the skills to teach reading, writing, science, history. So they'll spend the nearly ten weeks only ten weeks out of their full fourth year university degree. So the priorities of the universities are really warped and undermining their ability to become competent and happy teachers, So that program to be fair of them will take while for it to work through the system. But it still doesn't mean we're going to have capable and competent teachers at the end of the four years.
Speaker 2: So what are they spending their time on If so much of it isn't on what you would expect them to be spending it on. What's the priority?
Speaker 13: Well, the priority is like the national curriculum, it's woke content. You know, university courses that are called things like is skin color a pigment of your imagination?
Speaker 2: For example?
Speaker 13: So the priorities in the university curriculum are as warped as the national curriculum. They're not prized prioritizing the skill set that's required to do the job, which of course then means that the people who are coming at the other end are not skilled in the job they have to do. To manage a classroom, our classrooms are some of the worst in the world, are seventy first out of eighty in the OECD in terms of classroom discipline and requirement. And if you've spent four years of your university degree learning how to be a global warrior instead of how to be a great teacher. That's not going to be very satisfying at the end of the day.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And if we're basically telling anyone who's got a conservative ideology, you're not welcome in this profession because you're going to just have to be indoctrinating kids relentlessly in leftist group think. That's a large chunk of the potential teacher pool that's gone. And we're also really not encouraging men to enter this profession. It seems to be dominated by women. And again, so you've got another fifty percent of the population gone that can't be helping with the teacher shortage.
Speaker 13: Well, statistically, that's clearly true, but the real issue is that teaching as a profession is not really sort of appealing.
Speaker 2: To most people at the moment because of.
Speaker 13: The conditions of the curriculum, of having the cross curriculum, priorities of prioritizing Aboriginal and torrest rate Islanders history and cultures and sustainability ahead of actually the skill set that the children require.
Speaker 2: The way they in check that into every subject from music to mats is astonishing. Sustainability and what they call first Nations.
Speaker 13: Correct yeah, so that's a stated priority in the national curriculum. So it doesn't state our priorities to make sure that kids can read and write to become critical thinkers in their own variety. It actually states the priority that sustainability in Aboriginal and touristate Island is what they should be learning at every opportunity.
Speaker 2: And I do also worry about the state of our universities because the hostile environment that's been fostered. They're the far left activism that is scaring off some Jewish students. Some of them are deferring, declining to tend classes. And then we've got people from all sorts of backgrounds, not just Jewish students, who are self sense, who are really scared to say what they think because they are worried about an attack from academics and their fellow students. It's not a healthy culture we've built in academia, not at all.
Speaker 13: And that the universities have rolled over to a small minority with a very specific activist agenda is a terrible precedent that has been set. Universities are supposed to be places of the big contest of ideas and the freedom of speech, to position, to take your position on a point and argue it out, and that's not happening at all. On that first day of those protests at Melbourne University, six thousand students were declined the opportunity to go to their own classrooms so and learn, you know, enjoy the subjects that they're paying to study. And the university is a capitulating to this is a terrible problem.
Speaker 2: I do worry about the learning outcomes because we've already gone through that COVID era where we had so much remote learning, and now some people are opting for remote because the campuses have got encampments happening and all sorts of protests and hostility, and the university heads don't seem to be too concern They are more concerned about the overseas numbers coming in which are pop up the balance. Sheeter Colin Harken. We could talk about this all day. Thank you so much for your time this evening. Really appreciate it. And that's it from me. I'll see you tomorrow night at eleven up. Next is Newsnight