Speaker 1: Why is it so hard to get real answers about your health? If you've been told that everything looks fine, but you know that something is off, we're not imagining it. That's why I created Vitality three sixty to help you better understand what's going on inside your body so that you can take the targeted action needed. With a functional health approach plus testing, we go beyond the guesswork to uncover the root causes of your symptoms. I've teamed up with Doctyesmina, an incredible integrative GP and together we will help you decode your body's signals and answer questions like why am I always exhausted? What's really causing my stubborn weight? Am I inflamed? Insulin resistant? Or maybe missing key nutrients? Because when you understand your body better, you can transform your health. Visit v three sixty dot health or check out the show notes for more. This is Healthy Heir with Amelia Phillips and welcome to one of my mini motivation episodes. These are shorter, targeted episodes where we tackle one specific question or challenge head on. Today we're bringing in neuroscientist doctor Sarah Mackai to discuss psychedelics, peptides and brain health.
Speaker 2: Doctor Sarah is the author of three.
Speaker 1: Books on brain health, including her latest book, Brain Health for Dummies, published earlier this year.
Speaker 2: She was also.
Speaker 1: Recently on the Mel Robins podcast and has a fabulous Instagram page which I'll pop the link into the show notes for you. It's all about helping our female brains thrive. So here is what doctor Sarah had to say about psychedelics, peptides and brain health. Psychedelics, they are such a hot.
Speaker 2: Topic at the moment. You know, we've got.
Speaker 1: Things such as psilocyburn, which is the active compound in magic mushrooms. You've got MDMA in ecstasy, and they're now being used in select clinic settings to treat disorders such as treatment resistant depression and PTSD. And I have to say there's some quite encouraging research and success coming out of some of these clinical trials. Can you please give us a very kind of broad overview of what's actually going on at a neurological level when we are putting these psychedelics into our body.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Australia is one of the very few countries in the world. I'm actually I haven't followed it for a while, that's kind of given the go ahead, yes, a betrayal, yeah, to some very select well trained psychiatrist working and the space to use you know, these these as a kind of a treatment. It's not like you're going out to woollies and buying some magic mushrooms to you know, help your recovery from your PTSD. That's not the sort of the state where I haven't looked into this for quite a while. But the long story short is, particularly when we're looking at psychedelics, they put the brain and this kind of very very very plastic state almost the same type of state where a lot of the brain because we haven't talked so much about brain networks, so that the different parts of the brain that kind of connect and communicate with each other, they become very kind of hyper connected and almost go into a state of plasticity whereby they can kind of form new pathways and new ways of talking to each other. Kind it becomes far more malleable, and the networks can kind of react and reorganize far more efficiently instead of becoming quite set in their ways. And perhaps say someone's got PTSD and there's a like that kind of trauma scenario playing over and over and over and over in their mind, and the tried all of the other things. It puts the brain in this state of plasticity where like kind of a new pathway could be much more easily formed, and it's not simply a matter of throwing the psychedelic and the brain will do that. It needs to be needs the talk therapy and needs the therapy at the same Yeah, because my understanding is, you know, these go for a few months, and so someone will have like quite a significant dose of either the PSILOCYBERM or the MDMA, and then over a two to six hour period, they're in a room with you know, all the props, whether it's music or sound or light, and the psychiatst psychiatrists most importantly, asking very considered and specific questions to help unlock whatever that issue. And then you know, they I think, I can't remember if it's every three weeks or six weeks or probably the treatments are changing and varied, but they go through a few of these dose sessions over a couple of months. And so it's this combination of the psychiatrist's input that is helping when the brain's I guess it's a bit like hot yoga, right when your muscles are all loose and supple and you're able to stretch. A bit further is that kind of brain becomes. If you google what happens to the brain on psychedelics, there's this really famous figure that I saw. The researcher who created that figure, I was on Twitter or linkedln or something not that long ago. Going to snow become one of the most shared images and all the neuroscience because it kind of shows this kind of really colorful rainbow image of the different brain networks becoming much more kind of hyper connected with each other. So it's like they kind of go into this the state of like kind of flux and flexibility that enables the brain to create a much newer, healthier pattern and wave connected.
Speaker 2: And I can't.
Speaker 1: Imagine if it's got the power to create these newer and healthier patterns, I can imagine there's a bit of risk involved as well, because what if it has the opposite, what if it creates an even work.
Speaker 3: This is why you know, people you might do so psychedelics, you have a bad trip and you can end up seeing the psychiatrist because you know you've got a psychosis or something. So you know, you don't know which way it's going to go, and that's what it needs to be done in this kind of really controlled and regulated way, and lots of psychoactive psychoactive drugs and substances work in these ways. There's this really interesting theory. This is not what I know you were going to ask me about, but it just time. It's a really interesting theory about even SSRIs. So lots of people find SSRI, selective serotonin reuptake inhibit is help with symptoms of depression, but it takes a while for them to kick in. We know the SSRI kind of hasn't action at the sign aps to increase serotonin quite quickly, but your depression symptoms take a really long time to maybe three weeks to sort of start to resolve. What we think happens is this is this cool kind of idea that's been tested, is that when the serotonin levels go up, it changes your perception, particularly your social interactions and perceptions of other people. So someone with depression may walk past someone in a hallway and that person might look at them or not, and then they go, oh my god, they hate me. They're not looking at the world through rose tinted glasses. It's almost the opposite. So they just have these repeated bad experiences, which feeds into their depressed state. As soon as you take an SSRI, you start to perceive other people's social interactions in a much more positive light. So you then have to go through this sort of weeks of having repeated positive interactions with other people. It's almost like your brain needs to learn that actually, the world isn't.
Speaker 2: Isn't as a safe isn't this terrible.
Speaker 3: Doom and gloomy place where no one likes you. It's almost like you put on the rose tined to glasses, but then you have to live in.
Speaker 2: That world for a little while. You have to.
Speaker 3: So there's lots of things that we are learning about how the brain reacts and responds to psychoactive substances that may act in ways that we don't yet quite understand, even though we may know that they work. And the thing is, I always say they will work for some people some of the time, not everyone all the time. We need to be very very careful not to rule something in or out because it worked for me or it.
Speaker 2: Didn't work for you.
Speaker 1: So interesting, why is it so hard to get real answers about your health. If you've been told that everything looks fine, but you know that something is off, you're not imagining it. That's why I created Vitality three point sixty to help you better understand what's going on inside your body so that you can take the targeted action needed. With a functional health approach plus testing, we go beyond the guesswork to uncover the root causes of your symptoms. I've teamed up with Doctasmina, an incredible integrative GP, and together we will help you decode your body's signals and answer questions like why am I always exhausted? What's really causing my stubborn weight? Am I inflamed? Insulin resistant? Or maybe missing key nutrients? Because when you understand your body better, you can transform your health.
Speaker 2: Visit v three sixty dot health or check out the show notes for more.
Speaker 1: All right, I want to ask you about peptides and I know there, I just I wish my listeners could see the look on your face when I just said that word. But the petties are being marketed to the biohackers wanting to you know, hack They wait longevity and I have to say personally, I've got big concerns about the reach that they are gaining in such a short space of time, given their minimal efficacy, their minimal FDA TGA approval, and lack of clinical trials. But I still want to check in with you as to whether you are particularly excited about any of the ones being discussed from a brain health perspective. I want to see maybe you've got a different take and you think there's some promising sides out there.
Speaker 3: I haven't seen any of the marketing that's going on on social media.
Speaker 2: You've not been fed yet. Wait till you start looking. Just start typing my phone.
Speaker 3: My phone's on airplane mode right now, so it's not going to listen. It's not hearing this conversation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, it'll be interesting now.
Speaker 3: I haven't been fitting you of this. I was asking my personal trainer this morning at the gym, I see you sort of. She's like, oh, yeah, last couple of months, it's all I get, which is interesting. I mean, the TGA has just come out in the last few weeks here in Australia. Warned like, just be careful because you're like, maybe you're importing these from China, and you're injecting them into you. I mean, people aren't wanting to take a vaccine or take the oral contraceptive pearl or take I don't know something that's well studying and has got a really great risk profile, but they are and they'll inject something else because.
Speaker 2: Some bro has promised, has promised.
Speaker 3: I don't like to call them brows. Actually, I prefer to call them ice bath boys and put them back in the little place where they kind of struggled them along. It's just this crazy, wide, wide wild west out there. I'm quite conservative, and I'm also not a doctor. I don't treat people. So you know, what would the clinical practice guideline say? What does the TGA say? No way would I be doing anything like that. That's not to say peptides per se are just like kind of chains of amino acids, and we've got them already in our body. GLP ones are a type of pep tide. We've got signaling molecules in our body. But like you kind of tweak one molecule, you know, this massive cascade because everything's in this kind of internal feedback loop, So we don't know what we're doing when we're putting these into ourselves, and I wouldn't be taking any of them. A lot of them have got evidence, like rats and mice, right, and then you go into you know, a small trial and humans you might see some benefits. You go into a full randomized.
Speaker 1: And many of them don't even have haven't even made it that far. I thought that's what you're going to say, but I did just want to check in case there was some amazing one that.
Speaker 2: Just take some coffee.
Speaker 1: I got. This is my next question to laugh and I want to We're going to I'm going to do a bit of a rapid fire because I'm like, if not peptides to give us a mental edge, then what else can we do to give our brains that short term edge that's safe?
Speaker 2: And so yeah, my first one was coffee.
Speaker 3: Or coffee, yes, okay, three or four cups a day. Yeah, as long as it's not disrupting your sleep. There is no evidence that it's going to be bad for you. There's so much evidence it would fill us room that it's good for your brain.
Speaker 1: Yep, okay, great, yeah, Oh my gosh, my listeners are just high fiving you right now. What about a mega three supplementation.
Speaker 3: And two minds about that. I think if you're not eating the whole fish, you're better off gone and a piece of salmon. Not everyone can afford to do that. You're better off eating the whole food.
Speaker 2: But if you had not an oily fish kind of gowl, yeah.
Speaker 3: Like I think, you know, maybe yeah, yeah, okay, but it's probably not going to do you any harm. But you'd be better off eating whole foods.
Speaker 2: Okay. What about creatine?
Speaker 3: Oh gosh, Minefield. I was like, I got AI should design chat you be teacher to design me a pot of creative. If I was to sell like Pink Creating fog Off, I was going to call it like doctor Sarah and fog Off creatine for metopause women, and please, I will make millions if I had the gumption to do it. I take creatine. I started taking creating. There's a tiny bit of data. I know that there was a clinical trial that was going to be started up recently and it had gone through ethical approve. It was actually here in Sydney. But then the data came in saying that the dose wasn't going to be big enough. And I had gone through all of the ethical approove life and there's a whole PhD students project on it and that and they were like, actually, the dose isn't going to be quite enough to touch the sides to see benefits. If we're going to see it, we need to see increased levels in the brain.
Speaker 1: Which is what around the ten grander something like, because I think traditionally it's for muscle and performances.
Speaker 3: Five and it's pretty well established for building muscle, like you've got to be listing the weights and it will help with that. The really interesting story is around particularly midlife brain fog, when we're talking about that reduction in the metabolism and the reduction and the efficiency of neurons turning glucose into energy, and that's like partly hormonally driven like that, like the hormones kind of help the neurons use glucose, and the insulin does that and the rest of in the other cells in your body, but in your brain, estrogen kind of helps manage that processing. Can creatine kind of side step that you know where you're going through that kind of adaptation through perimenopause. That's kind of the question, and there is a little bit of evidence out there in some teeny tiny trials, saying perhaps.
Speaker 1: My argument is take it for six to eight weeks and see if you notice a difference.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's hard, you know then like you don't know whether efforts for yourself it's a placebo or not. And that's always my thing, because you can convince yourself of any.
Speaker 2: True you could.
Speaker 3: You could take flour and water and like say this is going to make me feel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I would much get to have the clinical trials.
Speaker 3: But like so I think that there's probably not going to be harm done unless you've gotkidney disease. Yeah, because people are like every teenage boy on all the beaches is smashing back the creuse. I can't even get it at the supermarts out, So.
Speaker 1: Okay, but interesting, there's nothing that you're taking it I'm taking. I feel like I noticed a difference when I started taking it in both performance in the gym. I'm a bit of a good lab rap because I'm so consistent. And yes, it could be placebo, but I notice absolutely in the gym, like I know when I'm doing you know, when I get to about six berpes in a row, I will feel my body like I will physically feel myself slowing down, and I was getting to more like nine or ten interesting, and that was definitely not placebo. But then in my in my focus, I noticed a difference as well.
Speaker 3: Because I've got a wild imagination, so I can placebo on no Cea by myself super easily. I ended up in neurologist having an MRI a few years ago because I had been dizzy for weeks and week all months, like six months, and it turned out I was just quite streets. And he said, some people get insomnia, some people get hit apes. He said, you've just got dizzy. And he said tomorrow, next time, when you get dizzy, just kind of go oh whatever, I'm just dizzy. And then he said, and then just start spelling words backwards. I was better with him one day.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, I had like the sea bowed myself.
Speaker 3: I love that I'm personally weary because I can convince myself or of all sorts of things. Either way, I would not tell anyone else to take creatine because I've said I'm taking it, or I think it's good for your brain, but.
Speaker 2: I'm taking Yeah, you are taking all right.
Speaker 3: I might start marketing fog off one day so I might go and try the space.
Speaker 2: We'll get you back on for that. All right, so short, too many.
Speaker 1: We've got caffeine, we've potentially got a Mega three's, we've potentially got creatine. Is there anything else to give our brains a bit of an edge?
Speaker 2: Like sleep?
Speaker 1: Ah? Love it?
Speaker 3: Sorry? You know, like a good laugh? Honestly, I feel like we forget about just enjoying ourselves and just find some funny friends. Oh, I just like hang out with them.
Speaker 2: Oh, I love it laughing the best medicine. Doctor Sarah, Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: You're so welcome.
Speaker 1: Why is it so hard to get real answers about your health? If you've been told that everything looks fine, but you know that something is off, you're not imagining it. That's why I created Vitality three point sixty to help you better understand what's going on inside your body so that you can take the targeted action needed. With a functional health approach plus testing, we go beyond the guesswork to uncover the root causes of your symptoms. I've teamed up with doctor Esmina, an incredible integrative GP, and together we will help you decode your body's signals and answer questions like why am I always exhausted? What's really causing my stubborn weight? Am I inflamed, insulin resistant? Or maybe missing key nutrients. Because when you understand your body better, you can transform your health. Visit V three sixty dot Health or check out the show notes for more