Speaker 1: Why is it so hard to get real answers about your health? If you've been told that everything looks fine, but you know that something is off, we're not imagining it. That's why I created Vitality three sixty to help you better understand what's going on inside your body so that you can take the targeted action needed. With a functional health approach plus testing, we go beyond the guesswork to uncover the root causes of your symptoms. I've teamed up with Doctyesmina, an incredible integrative GP, and together we will help you decode your body's signals and answer questions like why am I always exhausted? What's really causing my stubborn weight? Am I inflamed? Insulin resistant? Or maybe missing key nutrients? Because when you understand your body better, you can transform your health. Visit v three sixty dot health or check out the show notes for more. My sister in law, Susannah, and I have been through a lot. I first met sus when I was twenty s and she was twenty three. So when Tim and I first started dating, and we had so much fun together, we'd often end up in the clubs partying together.
Speaker 2: Tim's actually one of six.
Speaker 1: So there's five boys and one girl, Sus, and so often the brothers, some of the brothers will come and join us at the clubs. I guess that's what you do in your twenties, you're just out having a fun time.
Speaker 2: It was awesome. I've got such great memories.
Speaker 1: Then, as the years progress, marriages, babies, you know, we're all growing up, settling down.
Speaker 2: And it was around that time that I just started.
Speaker 1: To notice a few cracks with Sus. The family barbecues, we'd all be winding down towards the end of the barbecue, but she seemed to be ramping up, always with a drink in hand. I also noticed some changes in her personality. Sometimes she'd be really shut down and quiet, and then other times she'd be so talkative and chatty, but then get argumentative and then quite emotional. And it was around that time we all started to worry. Actually, remember this one event, Sus was very very upset, and so she and I kind of broke away from the group and we sat on the couch together and we spoke and cried for hours, and I felt like I had finally gotten through to her. And so the next day I called her to check in and see how she was doing, and it became really clear to me that she basically didn't even remember the conversation that we'd had the night before. I just felt like I could not get through to her after that, so I really stepped back. Tim, his dad and his brothers had I guess what you'd call an intervention with her that didn't seem to go well. So I really felt like I had lost my sister in law. This is healthy her with Amelia Phillips. Today's episode is going to be one of the most personal ones that I've ever done. In a minute, I'm going to introduce you to my beautiful sister in law, Susanna Myerson, who is one of the bravest, strongest people I know. I lost Susanna for about two or three years to alcohol. We hardly spoke, I actively avoided her, and she was the source of so much worry for me, for Tim, and of course for the family. But to our incredible surprise and joy, Susannah found.
Speaker 2: Her way back to us.
Speaker 1: She was able to find sobriety, and she has bravely stepped forward to tell her story and now helps others who have recognized that alcohol is no longer serving them. Susannah is an executive producer based in Sydney. She's now nearly seven years sober. That just blows my mind. She now runs the Sober Curious Reset, which is a four week guided online program for women who are questioning their relationship with alcohol. And look, it's not about needing a label or waiting until you've hit bottom. It's really a welcoming peer led space where women can get honest, feel less alone, get curious and really explore what's underneath. Because, as Susannah discovered, giving up alcohol wasn't the end of the story.
Speaker 2: It was actually just the beginning. Sues, Welcome to healthy Hair.
Speaker 3: Oh thanks, Phil's wow, what an intro. Thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: We've been through a lot, haven't we.
Speaker 3: We sure have. Yeah, I'm lucky to have you as one of my sills.
Speaker 1: Oh Darling, Well, let's start with your story, because you know, from the outside, most people would never have known that you had an issue with alcohol. You were just kind of fun, Sues. When did things start to change for you?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I don't think that there was one definitive moment where everything changed.
Speaker 3: It wasn't like a switch flipped.
Speaker 4: It was definitely a slow build up over years, and I think for a long time I didn't even see it as a problem either, because in my world it wasn't. I worked in advertising for every twenty years, and back then drinking.
Speaker 3: Was just part of the job.
Speaker 4: So I have, yeah, client lunches nearly every day that turn into dinners wrap drinks after every single shoot. It was all part of my professional identity and I was the fun series, and to be fair, I was having a great time doing it.
Speaker 3: I loved the work. I loved the pace and.
Speaker 4: Traveling the world filming commercials, and the drinking kept.
Speaker 3: Pace with every bit of that.
Speaker 4: So success in alcohol was so intertwined that I generally couldn't tell where one ended and the other began. But gradually, over time the alcohol started working against me. And I think what I realized is underneath all that, there were many things happening in my own life that I didn't really process at the time. I got married quite young at twenty four, and as you know, and I was running highly successful, fast pace production, coming with lots of travel and working very hard, and drinking was all intertwined in that. And I've got so much gratitude for that marriage. We've got a beautiful daughter together and we co parent really well, which I'm so grateful for. But after that marriage ended, I just I didn't know how to cope. I was running a business. I had to keep showing up and keep performing, and we would split the time with our daughter one week on, one week off, and the week said I didn't have my daughter. I felt extremely alone and the house was just so quiet. I just don't think a lot of people talk about that enough, that early separation period, when you don't have your children. You know, it's not natural for a mother to not have her child with her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, must feel like a real lurch where kind of you know, when you're with your kids, you're just so in the moment and so involved. I can't imagine what it would be like to just it's almost like having the rug pulled out from under you for those weeks.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's so interesting.
Speaker 4: It's like you drop her off to a dad's house and then you go back home to your house and it's empty. You know, you see her toys in her bedroom, her bedroom's empty, and it's just it's heart wrenching. And I think those weeks that I didn't have her. I drank more, and I think that's because I hadn't worked.
Speaker 3: Through anything from that time in my life.
Speaker 4: I hadn't processed the end of the marriage, the guilt, the grief, the shame around the fact that the marriage didn't work out. I just drank through it, and alcohol was just doing a job. It was managing the pain that had nowhere to go, really, and as you know, the family staged an intervention. It was around this time, and you know, my dad and two of my brothers, including Tim, your hubby, were waiting for me, which I thought was going to be a normal dinner.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember.
Speaker 1: I remember the lead up to it, like there was a lot of talk between all of them, how are we going to do this? I was like, guys, I didn't want to get involved, but I was glad they were doing something. But I did have a few red flags about it. But I'm just like, you know what, I've just got to let them do it the way they want to do it.
Speaker 2: And so I remember the day that it happened. Tell us about that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, to be honest, I was quite furious about it. I told myself, they didn't understand that what was really going on underneath.
Speaker 1: They probably didn't know what was going on underneath. They just saw what was going on on the outside and looked destructive totally.
Speaker 3: They're just looking at what's on the outside.
Speaker 4: But also I didn't really know what was going on underneath either at that time. I was blocking it and that was the problem. And I guess from that intervention, I didn't stop. I went the other way and I drank.
Speaker 1: Harder as a bit of an fu or just it was like an extra layer of guilt, shame, whatever you want to call it. It was an extra kind of emotional turmoil. Why did you drink more?
Speaker 4: At that point, I think that there was a bit of anger that they didn't get what was really going on and really asked the question like why.
Speaker 3: Are you drinking?
Speaker 4: Like I guess, I was just a bit hurt bien and felt like they didn't understand.
Speaker 3: Obviously, no one in our family had been divorced before my daughter was quite young. It was a very hard time. I was running a business.
Speaker 4: It was just a really hard time for me, and I didn't I felt like it was more an attack on my behavior than trying to actually work out what's going on underneath.
Speaker 1: And so what happened after that and how long after the intervention did you hit a rock bottom or it took us through from that point to then when you did decide to do something.
Speaker 4: I just kept drinking, and then obviously I could feel more people pulling away. So after the intervention, there was you know, less talk with my brothers, with my dad and yourself. You know, I could feel that you guys were disappointed that I maybe hadn't listened as you had thought, But I was just still trying to cope with what I was going through. So there was no dramatic moment, no ambulance, no accident.
Speaker 3: It was just me one morning.
Speaker 4: Laying in bed, staring at the ceiling, just knowing with absolute certainty, if I didn't stop drinking, I will continue to keep pushing people away, and I was going to lose the one person I love the.
Speaker 2: Most, your partner, Sam.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I could feel Sam pulling away.
Speaker 4: So on the morning of September twenty three, twenty nineteen, I woke up and just said enough.
Speaker 3: And that was day one. I haven't had a drink since Sam, who is now my husband. I could feel he had been pulling away.
Speaker 2: Really, is that right? You felt like you were going to lose that relationship.
Speaker 4: I could feel that it was causing problems to us our relationship, and I didn't know how to stop it.
Speaker 3: So I did the only thing I thought I could do, and.
Speaker 4: I actually ended the relationship, even though I still loved him, because I didn't.
Speaker 3: Want to hurt him anymore.
Speaker 4: As much as it broke me to break up with him, I had to let him go. That was one of the hardest things I've done. And then he met someone else, and watching that play out on social media, seeing him happy, seeing him move on, sent me to a place I'd never been before. I stopped caring about anything. I drank more than I ever had, But for some reason, Sam came back and I knew I.
Speaker 3: Had only one last chance with Sam.
Speaker 4: And there was no big conversation, no ultimatum, just the quiet understanding between two people who really love each other that something has to change, something has to give, and it had to be for me because that's the only way someone can get sober. I think, is if it's for them, you can't do it for anyone else.
Speaker 3: And I finally came to.
Speaker 4: That realization because I'd realized that the version of the person I've been for the last twenty years and performing and the mask that I was wearing just wasn't working anymore for me.
Speaker 3: It had worked so far against me. Now I push my family away, my.
Speaker 4: Marriage had ended, the relationship that I was in at the time was about to end, and I knew that this was my last chance. So it was literally just that one morning I woke up and just my body couldn't handle it anymore, and that was it.
Speaker 2: What did you do from then?
Speaker 3: Well, I waited for a few weeks to tell.
Speaker 4: Anyone because I knew that no one would believe me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wouldn't have.
Speaker 1: If you'd have called me that day and said, hey, I've just decided to give up alcohol, I.
Speaker 2: Would have said up the phone and gone, oh here she goes, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Exactly, And so I waited a few weeks to tell anyone.
Speaker 3: Sam was very supportive during.
Speaker 2: That time, So you did tell him.
Speaker 4: I told Sam, obviously because we're living together, but no one else. But I do remember telling Dad the moment I drove to his office in Piermont. I think I was a few weeks Ober, probably four weeks, and I sat down in his office and I saidn't want to tell you something.
Speaker 3: I know I've got a drinking problem and I'm going to get help.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, And we just hugged and cried and he didn't question it, he could feel my pain, he didn't flinch, he was just proud and he knew I'd come to a breaking point. And being completely seen by him and still completely loved that gave me so much strength to keep going because I could tell me.
Speaker 1: Oh, sus and that's just what you needed and probably what you felt like you hadn't had up until that point. I can remember you trying to come and stay with us because we'd recently moved up to the Northern Beaches in Avalon, and you had tried a couple of times, Tim and said, oh, Sue's wants to come up for the weekend, and I'd said, sorry, Tim, I just you know, I don't want to have the house full of alcohol. And I think I pushed back a couple of times. We would you know, I had four young kids at that point in time. I just couldn't deal it. But then finally you did come up for the weekend, and I will never forget you coming in. And you know, we all cried, and you said that you'd been sober I think at that point for about a couple of months now, and I just remember us crying and me just being so shocked. I had no idea that you'd gone through that whole journey and that you'd done it, you know, relatively alone as well.
Speaker 2: What was it like telling us?
Speaker 4: I remember driving up to avalon that day and my heart absolutely pounding the whole way there. I was thinking, are they even going to believe me? I knew, my heart I was going to continue to be sober. I just knew it, but I was worried you'd think that I'd go back to my old ways. I knew that you were skeptical. I think it was six weeks. It was six weeks sober at that point.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 4: Six weeks to me felt like everything and nothing at the same time. So you know, I wasn't just hoping you'd believe me when I told you. I was hoping I could get close to you again.
Speaker 1: Honestly, it was like a brick wall fell down, and energetically you were already completely different.
Speaker 2: It's hard to describe it.
Speaker 1: It was literally like a wall, and I don't know if it was a wall that I had put up, or a war that you had put up, But it was like an instantaneously I had old suits back. It was just such a beautiful moment, and I was so incredibly proud because I knew how hard that would have been to go for that long after what you've been through, and I know you're such a strong, hum human being, but to actually see that you were able to do it, it was an insanely proud moment. But what I have heard you say Soue since then is that you thought that giving up was going to be the hard part, but actually it was afterwards.
Speaker 2: Can you explain what you mean by that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, don't get me wrong, giving up our cohol is definitely hard, but I think what nobody tells you is that stopping is just the beginning, and that's where the real work begins.
Speaker 3: As you know, I didn't have a traumatic upbringing at all.
Speaker 2: I don't know someone could argue fives might.
Speaker 3: Be pretty exactly.
Speaker 2: You've seen a bit in your some of the family stories.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, I feel like we need to get you on to just talk through some of the family stories. But yes, definitely a lot of love.
Speaker 4: Very love and caring parents, a beautiful family unit, a beautiful home. But there were things along the way as I got older that I think I needed to address once so I got sober.
Speaker 3: I think the nine year marriage ending.
Speaker 4: The grief, the sad, the feeling that I'd failed something. I had to go back and relive all of that sober without anything to take the edge off. And then there was something else. When I was twenty six, I had a miscarriage. I had a DNC, and I remember being in the hospital before the general anesthetic and when I woke up, they said it all went well, get on with life, and I did. I got on with life. But for a long time, I didn't get a period. So I went and had some tests and we couldn't figure out why and ended up taking a long time. But after a year of not having a period and getting all these tests done, I was diagnosed with stage three Asherman syndrome, which is a severe case of scarring in the uterus caused by a DNC. Oh wow, And in my case, the scarring was so extensive that I'd stopped getting a period altogether. And I remember I was twenty six at the time. My gynecologe is sitting across from me and saying, Susanna, you may never have children.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, how confronting.
Speaker 4: I'd never been maternal up until that point, was so career driven, so focused, so to hear that was the biggest shock of my life. And the guilt that I felt around that that I had caused that from my body, you know, that the miscarriage had caused that.
Speaker 3: You know, there was so much guilt around that.
Speaker 4: And the moment someone tells you that you may never have children, that maternal instinct changes instantly, and that's when I really wanted to have children, and so, you know, I went down the how do I fix this mode as a producer. So from there I had three surgeries to remove some scarring before we could try and get pregnant, which thankfully I did, but unfortunately it was a difficult pregnancy and there was still scarring in the years. So Mattie was born six weeks premature. We had to have an emergency c section because she stopped growing, which is very scary.
Speaker 2: I remember that period and we're all so worried.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So she was born one point eight kilograms and was in special care nursery for four weeks. And what no one tells you is how hard it is to leave the hole after giving birth without your baby.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: It was one of the most even imaginerandous hardest times.
Speaker 4: And I think I had PTSD after the surgeries, after the difficult pregnancy, the birth. You know, I was at the hospital four times a day. You know, she had tubes in her. It wasn't the fairy tale first baby pregnancy that you think you're going to have. I pretended like everything was okay. I've remained silent through all of that, and that's where the problem was.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, you know, my memory of you, and you're such a stoic, strong person, and you come from such a line of strong women, all of these you know, traumas and difficult experiences you had. I can imagine your just pull your socks up and get on with life kind of girl. And you were taking that approach. By the sounds of things I was.
Speaker 4: I was so from the time I was diagnosed, from twenty seven to my life pregnancy, which was three years ago thirty nine, I've had up to eight surgeries to remove scarring because it grows bad.
Speaker 2: Goodness.
Speaker 4: Wow, again, when you ask me the question, you know, why do I say it's harder, you know, when you're sober than giving up drinking.
Speaker 3: I had to relive all of that again sober.
Speaker 4: And I know it sounds cheesy, but the saying you've got to feel it to heal it, Like I had to feel all that.
Speaker 3: I had to release the guilt.
Speaker 4: Around the fact that Maddie was born premature and that, you know, I chose the wrong hospital to do the DNC, and.
Speaker 3: Like, how did that let that happen? How did I let someone scar me like that? Like there was a lot around that, and I really do believe that. You know, there's a book called The Body Keeps the Score.
Speaker 2: Yes, I've read it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that title.
Speaker 4: Line resonates with me because I really believe the body remembers things, and you know, the miscarriage, the surgeries, the marriage ending. My body was carrying all of that, and I drank through all of that hurt, and not because I was weak, but because the hurt was real and I didn't have any other way to harriot, Which is why sobriety isn't always just about just putting down the drink. Sometimes it's about finally feeling what's been underneath it all, and that's why I finally got to.
Speaker 1: Do Why is it so hard to get real answers about your health? If you've been told that everything looks fine, but you know that something is off, we're not imagining it. That's why I created Vitality three point sixty to help you better understand what's going on inside your body so that you can take the targeted action needed. With a functional health approach plus testing, we go beyond the guesswork to uncover the root causes of your symptoms. I've teamed up with doctor Asmina, an incredible integrative GP, and together we will help you decode your body's signals and answer questions like why am I always exhausted? What's really causing my stubborn weight? Am I inflamed? Insulin resistant? Or maybe missing key nutrients? Because when you understand your body better, you can transform your health. Visit v three sixty dot health or check out the show notes for more. Since sharing your story not just with me, but now with others and so many as well, and that has resonated so well with other people, what have you discovered about other women's relationship with alcohol?
Speaker 4: It's funny I find the women that I work with don't fit the narrative people have in their heads. So they are high functioning, they are successful.
Speaker 3: They are everyday.
Speaker 4: Busy mums, running households and holding down careers. They don't arrive saying they have a drinking problem. They arrive saying something feels off. They arrive exhausted, They're performing a version of themselves that no longer fits. They arrive not knowing what they need, and they honestly leave feeling clearer, more connected, and more certain of who they are. So I feel like there's a lot of shame around it, around drinking, and the shame of feeling like you should be able to control it, and so you tell yourself you're fine and you keep going, and the.
Speaker 3: Silence makes it so much heavier than it needs to be.
Speaker 4: But the common thing I hear when people come into the program is I don't think I drink too much.
Speaker 3: It's I don't know who I am anymore. And that's not an alcohol problem.
Speaker 4: That's an identity problem, And I think that deserves a conversation.
Speaker 2: Is that right?
Speaker 1: So you have a lot of these women coming to you and they feel like they've lost touch with themselves. They kind of don't know who this version.
Speaker 2: Of themselves is anymore.
Speaker 1: And alcohol might be in the picture, but that's not what the big driver or challenge is for them. It's this kind of out of body experience of I just don't know who I am anymore.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I don't like how I feel, and I don't know how to get out of this rut.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: I can think of about five people that I know that we have had similar conversations. Must be something about this age and stage of life. I think, you know, after the kids are all kind of off to school and you feel like I don't know everything's It's not like there's anything extremely urgent right now, you start to look inwards a little bit, or maybe, like you say, some of the habits like drinking are starting to play out in a way that you recognize isn't serving you.
Speaker 4: Probably hormones too, I think our cool starts affecting you differently.
Speaker 3: You know, once you hit forty, Well.
Speaker 1: What is your advice to someone who is questioning their relationship with alcohol or is sitting here right now thinking I don't feel like myself and I know that some of these habits, you know, they might not be a problem per se, but they're not serving me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it's just honoring that question, like because the fact that you're even asking it at all, Like I'm sober curious, you know it means something you don't And you don't need to be at rock bottom to get curious.
Speaker 3: You don't need a label. You don't need to put a label on it. You just need to just get curious and start to notice when.
Speaker 4: You reach for it, is it to feel more confident, is it to numb something? And I think just noticing that without judgment is where everything starts. And the one thing I'd say to women is you don't have to do it alone. You can't do it alone. And one of the biggest things I see is women trying to white knuckle this sobriety themselves in secret and then feeling like a failure when it doesn't work. I think reaching out, finding a community, just saying it out loud to one person that changes the game completely.
Speaker 1: And not to feel shame around it as well. Like you say, I think a lot of people women do keep it to themselves because they're kind of feeling a little bit shameful or embarrassed, and there's absolutely no reason to be. I wish your four week program was available back when you got sober seven years ago.
Speaker 4: Well that's why I created it, I mean, because there was nothing in that space. You know, You've got AA and rehab, which can be considered quite to boob.
Speaker 1: And none of my friends that I'm thinking of would ever even consider doing that. I went to AA. Actually I went to the current remember what it's called, the supporters of AA alan On.
Speaker 2: What is it called alan On?
Speaker 1: So I worked, as you know, with Barry Humphreys for a year and he was thirty years sober and he still went to AA meetings. So he and his wife Lizzie and I would we'd be in Boston, all these different cities in America, and he would go still to regular meetings thirty years later on the other side of the world. And Lizzlie was like, come along and we'll we'll sit next door in the allan On group.
Speaker 2: And it was really.
Speaker 1: Confronting for me to sit there and to see these people that's families were completely broken, and people that had lost their loved ones to alcohol and still coping with it. You know, for a lot of us we're not at that point. It's just more about I do want to explore a little bit more.
Speaker 2: Some of these things.
Speaker 1: Took us three or four week reset, what is it?
Speaker 2: What is it cover? I'm really curious. I would really like to do it and.
Speaker 4: Take So the research runs over four weeks and we meet online once a week and each week has a different theme focus, and we build on each week deliberately, so it moves from awareness to what's underneath, to reconnection to integration. Week one is about understanding what brought you here with no judgment, just honesty.
Speaker 3: And there is something.
Speaker 4: About being in a group with vulnerable women just talking. It's just incredible.
Speaker 1: I would love to sit there online with a group of women and together us all say what has brought us here?
Speaker 2: That's exactly interesting.
Speaker 4: And so by week two we're looking at where the patterns actually came from. Week three is about reconnecting with who you are underneath all the noise, and week four is integration with and when we close with every woman, they share where they landed and fails to take my breath away what these four weeks does to them. And it's not just the weekly sessions. Every woman gets a buddy for the four weeks, and in the last reset group, I paired a woman in Sydney and a woman in Adelaide, and after the four weeks they said that they have become friends for life.
Speaker 1: That doesn't surprise me because I bet that the connection that you forge with these women is absolutely unbreakable. I bet it's a really really powerful connection because you've been so vulnerable in front of someone else, and there's that feeling of trust and safety.
Speaker 4: And they're a complete stranger, they hadn't met them before, but they felt like they could tell them more than what they could tell their close friends. So it's just amazing what can come out of it.
Speaker 1: What can a woman expect to learn about herself over this four weeks when alcohol is taken out of the picture.
Speaker 4: Honestly, different things with different women, but the common thread is that most women come in thinking it's about alcohol, and they leave realizing it's something underneath and what they've been trying to manage and what they've been avoiding. And this is the part that I love the most, who they actually are without all the noise around them. They just start to figure out who they are underneath. And the feedback from the first round. One woman told me she came away thinking more deeply than she ever had in a long time. And you know, she said, another woman said, it's not about restriction or perfection, it's just about It was actually about transformation. These women move from self judgment of why can't I fix this to self.
Speaker 3: Understanding of oh that makes sense.
Speaker 4: Of course I cope this way, oh okay, and I don't have to do that anymore.
Speaker 1: So there's a little bit of self compassion that bubbles to the surface that is a much more helpful emotion than shame or guilt or white knuckling it as you say.
Speaker 3: Percent yeah wow.
Speaker 1: I mean, what a unique position you're in to lead a group like this because I know your personality outside of your experience and qualifications. I know your personality as well, and I just you would hold that space and facilitate that so well. But then you've got this amazing lived experience that you can bring in to this conversation as well. So I can just imagine how well you would guide these women. And especially because there's probably a bit of hesitation beforehand, you know, there'd be people that would be worried about, well, a can I not drink for a month or is this going to be hard or is this going to be painful?
Speaker 2: Did you find there was trepidation initially?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I found a lot of the women came in just not knowing what they were coming in for.
Speaker 1: Caye.
Speaker 3: That's a good thing, yeah, exactly. But yeah, I think that there was a bit of trepidation.
Speaker 4: But once they're in there and you break the ice with the first group, you know, that dissolves pretty quickly.
Speaker 1: So, I mean you kind of touched on this idea of the power of that collective.
Speaker 2: Of like minded women.
Speaker 1: Do you find that that's one of the key ingredients that makes us feel more supported?
Speaker 3: Definitely, It's just hard to explain.
Speaker 4: Like when you get everyone in a room, even a virtual one, with a group of women who are feeling exactly the same as something happens that you just can't explain, and the isolation dissolves almost immediately. There's something about hearing another woman say out loud the thing that you've been thinking through them in the morning in your own head.
Speaker 3: It's validating in a way, and you realize.
Speaker 4: You're not broken, you're not alone, and you never were, and you've got this support.
Speaker 1: Network It's funny when you were talking through your experience before you got sober, one of the words that just kept coming to me was alone and just you know, when you're talking about the weeks without Maddie and how everyone was stepping back, and I remember stepping back and how alone you felt. And I can imagine that when you've got this alternative where you can create this safe space where you are feeling hurt and you are feeling less alone, that would make such a big difference.
Speaker 3: Definitely.
Speaker 1: Well, look, Sue's Finally, for a woman listening who might be sober curious, especially with dry July around the corner, what is one parting.
Speaker 2: Piece of advice that you would have for her.
Speaker 4: I would say, don't think of it as you're giving something up. I think reframe it in your mind completely, like you're running an experiment.
Speaker 3: It's just thirty one days and at the end of it.
Speaker 4: Genuinely ask yourself, how's my sleep, how's my energy, how's my focus, how are my relationships?
Speaker 3: And what's actually changed?
Speaker 4: Because I guarantee you're going to notice a shift in your life, and because the most common thing I hear is you know, I don't think I drink too much. It's just really giving yourself that time to work through the identity and what's underneath. And you don't have to commit forever. You don't need to put a label on it. You just need to be willing to get curious and thirty one days of curiosity might just change everything.
Speaker 1: Sus thank you so much for sharing your story with us today and all the work that you're doing in this space. And can I just say I'm so happy to have my sister back.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much, Milsie, and I appreciate all your support.
Speaker 3: I love you, Love you so much.
Speaker 1: Why is it so hard to get real answers about your health? If you've been told that everything looks fine, but you know that something is off, you're not imagining it. That's why I created Vitality three point sixty to help you better understand what's going on inside your body so that you can take the targeted action needed. With a functional health approach plus testing, we go beyond the guesswork to uncover the root causes of your symptoms. I've teamed up with doctor Esmina and incredible Integrative GP and together we will help you decode your body's signals and answer questions like why am I always exhausted? What's really causing my stubborn weight? Am I inflamed, insulin resistant? Or maybe missing key nutrients. Because when you understand your body better, you can transform your health. Visit V three sixty dot Health or check out the show notes for more