Speaker 1: Oh hey there, thanks for joining us today. Pressing play. Listening in to Healthy is your podcast from Body and Soul. I am your host, Felicity Haley, and yes, joining us today is our fantastic digit editor Holly Bergleman. And we are chatting through the three stories that made us spit out our wine this week. Do you like that? Yeah, I'm going for wine, not the green juice or maybe the latte. Anyway, I hope you enjoy the chat. Holly, welcome you to healthy Ish.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much. How are you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm good. I'm feeling healthy ish this week. Well into February. I feel like feb is almost the new Jen.
Speaker 2: I agree, because jan is just like a wasteland. I actually it's a soft launch into the year. But it's also just like people are still on holiday. It's not the proper start the year soft launch. It's the soft launch into the year.
Speaker 1: Maybe we have to, you know, for those in the health and space obsessed with health. Well, I was like you and I we have to kind of, you know, move our mindset to feed being the start of the year.
Speaker 2: I agree. Intentions start first of fair exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, suit of grace. How are your intentions going mid feb.
Speaker 2: Look, they're okay, you're going a well, I am living the issue, but I am, you know, with a healthy mindset, I think is what I'm going for.
Speaker 1: So on Body and Soul this week, what was the most well intriguing story to you and also the readers?
Speaker 2: Intriguing is the word for it this week. So I am very excited. We've recently launched a new column called Ask a Sports Stylist? What's it about? So Jana Bartolo. She's an amazing stylist and she styles most of our big cover shoots for Body and Soul. She's fantastic. She does a lot of work with Nike and things as well. She's fab So she is writing a monthly column for US now on Body and Soul, about styling for kind of sportswear active weear, the blend of fashion and sportswear, which I think is great. I'm really excited. And her first piece is about why the sneaker world has all eyes on toe shoes, which is a pretty divisive one. I feel like.
Speaker 1: These have been there, I say, kicking around for a while. Yeah, I in and out, don't they They haven't really taken hold ever.
Speaker 2: No, and I say thank God, because I do think they're hideous.
Speaker 1: I'm not wearing them, No, I be wearing them like I just can't like like mullet. I mean I was always actually having said that. I was always like, no mullets. Now my sons have mullets.
Speaker 2: A mullet feels like no Burkie's Now I want to stocks. So anyway, suits so toe shoes. When I think about them, I think of those like rubber monstrosities that people sometimes wear when they go for like trail runs and things like that. But there are a lot of new styles popping up. There are some from Added Ass which honestly look like duck feet kind of.
Speaker 1: They're quite retro.
Speaker 2: They're like red and white. And then Nike has some two which are called the air Rif shoes, which look a little bit more like a Tabby do you know Tabby's by Mason Margella. They're the ones that look like ballet flights and they've got the like, yeah, little toss slit thing. Anyway, they look a bit more like that. But we're starting to see them move into the kind of sneaker world and people are starting to wear them. They're popping up you know at fashion week they're popping up in active wear catalogs and things like that. They are very divisive, but I quite like them. I quite like them. I don't. I absolutely don't flips please you know me, But I think you know the Tabby's, for instance, they were initially inspired by Japanese split toe socks, which was thought to promote balance through the separation of the big toe, a holistic reflexology strategy promoting a clear mind.
Speaker 1: Oh there we go, there we go.
Speaker 2: So perhaps the toe shoe is actually more wellness alone than we thought.
Speaker 1: Well, I know that. There's a great book by a I think he's from Stanford called Exercised. His name is Daniel Lieberman, and he's interesting. I heard him on podcast recently and he was a big advocate like ten years ago about the toe shoes because he thought, I mean, he studies evolutionary biology, and he thought that actually, as humans, we only have worn shoes in the last couple of hundred years, and our feet are actually designed till we stand walking anywhere, but in our modern world we can't wear their feet everywhere. So he was a big advocate that actually that's how our body is designed, and if you want to stave off injury and you know, promote better health, you should actually wear toe shoes. That's very because they stimulate the actual notion of walking and propelling your foot for it. I am on a podcast recently and he now doesn't wear them as much, okay, yeah, which.
Speaker 2: Was because they're impractical.
Speaker 1: And he's finding that it just for his foot. He's a bit later in life, is better in a cushion shoe. Yeah, so yeah, So anyway, that's just a bit of random fact for you that perhaps potentially they can be better for your health to wear them, and for fashion sense. We know that health is driving a lot of trends these days, and so I wouldn't be surprised if the rise of toe shoes in wardrobes, even if it's not the everyday person's wardrobe. But maybe that's why there's been more of a move towards them. To me, I think, really toe shoes it's more just along that dopamine dressing type of thing where they're whimsical, they're a little silly, and that's kind of ways for people to have fun with their wardrobes.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think I'm just going to stick to my nice cushion sneakers.
Speaker 2: I think I will too. I am a sneaker girl. But I do like that people are trying something new and that maybe they want to get the dogs out during the day exactly. Anyway, Yanna's column is fantastic. Take a read of it if you want to know more about the front of fashion history behind that. And I can't wait to read her next one.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, I came across Well, dare I say another diet? But this one's a little bit different, and I probably prefer to call it eating habits, but it's the cortisol diet. Interesting, Yeah, so let me tell you a bit more. So much focus last year was on quartersol, we low corter sool workouts and cortasol face that this term kind of peaked my attention. But I quite like it. And now we're well into the twenty twenty five, I can sense that stress levels are rising.
Speaker 2: They're on the way up.
Speaker 1: They're on the way up, so perhaps this one is there's some merit to it. So I'm going to call it cortsol eating habits, right, Okay, die diet.
Speaker 2: But I like what you're doing.
Speaker 1: But I mean the question is, can you lower your cortisol levels with food, and the answer is yes, you can and there at three. The main way is a healthy diet and lower cortisol levels. This is by reducing information. So we know an anti inflammatory diet rich in Omega three, fatty acids, fatty fish, and walnuts. Foods like that, fruits, vegetables, and whole grains can help reduce inflammation. Also, if you take this eating approach, it can stabilize blood sugar levels. So consuming a balanced diet with complex carbohydrates, lean protein, and healthy fats can help stabilize blood sugar. We know that when we're stressed, we more.
Speaker 2: Likely reach for those you know, lollies or junk food exactly.
Speaker 1: Whatever is your go to. We all have one and we all.
Speaker 2: Know it is cheese and chips.
Speaker 1: Cheese, chips.
Speaker 2: I'm a savory girl. I love cheese, which I think is a good food, but chips are my kryptonite.
Speaker 1: Lollies.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Y.
Speaker 1: If I'm stressed and I pull into the petrol station and it's three o'clock and I'm hungry, I'm like, oh, just take a bag of that.
Speaker 2: Yes, shapes is my petrol shases and snack.
Speaker 1: And also skipping meals. I think a lot of the time when we're stress skipping meals can wreak havoc. Well, if you're stressed, you skip meals, which in turn correct havoc on your stress levels and cortersole levels. Anyway, and the other thing which I thought was interesting to keep in mind if you are feeling like cortersols up at the moment if you're feeling stress is dehydration. Now, dehydration is a physical stress and has been linked to increased cortisol levels. So make sure you have that water handy. If you're feeling stressed.
Speaker 2: God, suddenly I feel really unhealthy. I need to drink so much from water, not skip.
Speaker 1: Meals and step away from the shape. It's just these things to keep in mind. Yes, yeah, if you are hitting that mid February stress out, which I know is very common, dark chocolate, bananas, avo and fermento foods are also really good. Go tos if you're feeling stressed.
Speaker 2: I love those foods too.
Speaker 1: Great channel cortssolt eating habits. Love it. Thank you now, just quickly before we go, give us a quick rundown of the most clicked story of the week.
Speaker 2: So most clicked this week was These are the healthiest pub meals, according to a diet tissue.
Speaker 1: So if you ask stress, go to the heub, go for these wine and choose this.
Speaker 2: This was written by regular contributor Susie Burrow, who's a dietitian and we love her. Friend of the pod, friend of the post, Susie Burrow, what do you think that are the healthiest meals? Well?
Speaker 1: Now I have worked in this space very long.
Speaker 2: Do you know what you're talking about? So I do know that fish okay, fish, yes, fish, grilled fish, but in particular is the top one. It's high in protein and good fats. It also is often served with salad or vegetables. It will also cost you more, but it is healthier. Four you so really annoying because I'm like, I know that fish like a basophilate, for example, is not expensive, but I guess usually at the pub you're getting salmon or something which is.
Speaker 1: But the thing is, then if you want it grilled not fried, I pay another two dollars and stuff for grilled.
Speaker 2: I know, God forbid you just pop it on the stove or in the oven. Yeah. Yeah, Anyway, The next one, which did surprise me is chicken schnitzel. Yes, I know, a huge win for the people here. I didn't expect this because it is deep fried, but because it has a decent amount of protein and can it be ordered with a side of vegetables or salad rather than fries. Compared to other options like deep fried calamari or fish and chips or burger plain schnitzel with a salad is actually a pretty good option.
Speaker 1: Maybe not the coal slaw, you know, it always comes with the apple slow. It does make fans.
Speaker 2: I'm not a huge slaw fan, so fine for me, but for you guys, maybe no. So we're going to the pub. Yeah, Coda sell diet wearing ashes this week exactly. And then the last one is steak because you can get certain leaner cuts of steak. And then again you can get that with salad and just nip a nab a few of your friend's chips instead. I like it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, Holly, I'll see you down the pub.
Speaker 2: See you then bye.
Speaker 1: Do you go for the schnitzel, the fish or the steak? Now, it all depends on how you have your snitzel, right, If you layer it with cheese, we eat plants pretty good, and you have chips and I don't know. I tend to stick with the fish or a good old steak. Anyway, If you do want to read any of those stories, I will lead links in the show notes. Thanks again for listening. You can share the healthy ish love. Send this on to a friend, have a listen. DM me at Felicity Harley With any feedback, jump online bodyandsoul dot com dot I you don't remember, we are across social media at Body and Soul. You can grab our print edition which is out in your local Sunday paper. Thanks again for listening and stay healthy.