Speaker 1: Hello again. It's Ruby Jones here. I'm back to introduce another episode from our sister podcast, Read This. It's a show about the books we love and the stories behind them. Each week, host and self confessed book nerd Michael Williams is joined by one of Australia's best authors, who takes listeners behind the scenes of the writing process. Today, we're going to hear from Australian writer Charlotte Wood. Before we do, Michael is here to share a bit about the episode. Hi Michael, how are you book nerd?
Speaker 2: That's pretty offensive, Ruby Jones. I'm well, how are you?
Speaker 1: It's meant in an affectionate way.
Speaker 2: That's what they always say in the school.
Speaker 1: Yet I am good.
Speaker 3: Thanks.
Speaker 1: So this episode of Read This it's a little bit special because you interviewed Charlotte Wood about her latest novels Donia Devotional, and since then it's actually gone on to be shortlisted for the Booker Prize, which is a very big deal. It's the most important with Tree Awards in the world.
Speaker 2: Look, the book is kind of the gold standard. It's certainly the one that has the biggest discernible impact on sales in the English language world, and it is the one that kind of dictates. It's kind of an active, instant canonization. A book that wins the booker becomes one of the books that has to be read for the year. It's a decade since an Australian was last on the book a shortlist, and it's particularly thrilling that to break that decade long drought, we have Charlotte Wood, whose book is singular and beautiful.
Speaker 1: So before it was nominated, before it became decorated, what was it like to pick it up and read it for the very first time.
Speaker 2: Stoneyard Devotional is a gorgeous book. It's a very quiet book in many ways. I read years ago this review of Marilyn Robinson's Gilead in The Guardian that had this line that said, it's a novel that forces you to read at its pace, slowly and increasingly appreciatively. And that's an idea that's really stuck with me. I love the idea of a book that teaches you how to read it, and Charlotte Wood's Stonyard Devotional is one of those books. It defires a kind of easy skim It's not like rollicking along on a level of plot from the outset. It is a mood piece early on, but it really digs into some profound, deeply kind of moving meditations and illustrates this world in the Monaro plane in southern New South Wales and brings it to life in this old convent with a woman who's trying to escape so many.
Speaker 1: Things coming up in just a moment. Charlotte Wood thinks restraint is underrated.
Speaker 2: Stoneyard Devotional is a beautiful book about grief, about solitude, about what it means to live a good life, and what we owe one another. Long Standing fans of Charlotte Wood will be thrilled. It's her ninth book, but it was her twenty sixteen novel The Natural Way of Things which broke her out in a massive way. She won the Prime Minister's Award that year and the Stellar Prize and was an international best seller. A stage adaptation of her follow up, The Weekend, has just finished an acclaimed run at Sydney's Belvoir Theater. And her last book before Stoneyard Devotional was a work of nonfiction called The Luminous Solution. It was all about creativity and the inner life, but it was also about the idea of resilience of how we might marshal our strength to get through difficult times. It was a concept that was to have unfortunate, far reaching resonances in Wood's own life in the months following its publication.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we had a big bomb go off in our family last year, which was that my older sister was diagnosed with breast cancer. She was the same age my mother was when she died of cancer. Then she, as big sisters do, said right, oh, everyone go off and have scans, which we did just to kind of please her. Really, So six weeks after she was diagnosed and I was found to have breast cancer, and then a week later my younger sister was also abound to have it where everyone's fine, I need to say that quite immediately. So I'd written a draft of the book, a very sparse first draft, and I got to the sort of penultimate scenes, the scenes that really in terms of the story, end the book. And then I got up to go and do some grocery shopping and while I was in the shops, the phone rang and it was the breast screen people saying you've got to come back and have more TETs. So that was like what, And you know, I think about that timing. I think if that hadn't I don't know what would have happened to the book if I hadn't just done that that that morning. But anyway, the relevance of this to the novel is it was a psychic catastrophe more than physical catastrophe, because we had the best kind of cancer you can have and all of that, but the shock of it was so deep and so powerful for me anyway. And so then when I went back to revise the book, I'd already wanted to try and write a book that wasn't going to explain things and wasn't going to hold the reader's hand very tightly. And also, you know, it was about grief and about my mother. And so then when I went back to it with his new experience, a shedding had taken place of trivial themes of unimportant things. And so I went almost like a kind of skeleton going back into writing, But in a good way. It was with more of a commitment to a book where nothing extraneous was to remain in the book, and I think it really helped give the book a depth that it might have started to have. But when I went back to it. It was with an understanding that we are mortal. Now that sounds so silly because we all know that, but we also all walk around pretending we don't know that. And I understood from my experience that that was a rehearsal for me, and that it's going to come, you know, hopefully when I'm one hundred and seven. But how do you live a good life, a full life, while not turning away from the knowledge that we're going to die. That's what I wanted the book to sort of grapple with.
Speaker 2: You mentioned that the main character's mother is in no small part your own manner on the page, and you know, I'm always reluctant when chatting to an author to ascribe autobiographical things to.
Speaker 3: It, but I've been quite open about that. I mean, it is the most personal book that I've written, and I found myself wanted to write about my mother, who was quite an unusual person. She was very, very self contained, as the words I always used to describe her. She had a deep kind of reserve and a need for privacy. And when I say privacy, it's a sort of emotional privacy, I guess, and the narrator respects that you know, there's no sense that she thinks so I wish she'd opened up to me or anything like that, But she's preoccupied with her mother and not her father, because she says, I knew my father from the moment I was born. I knew my father, and I would never if he'd lived a long time, I would never have known him better than I knew him, you know, by the time he died. Whereas she said, I just could never know my mother in the same way. Although there was no question that they loved each other, they trusted each other. But you know, when you're relatively young, when the parent dies, all of your grief initially is for yourself. Of course, I'm now the age my mother was when she died. I'm fifty eight. She died of fifty eight, and now my grief is for her, for what she lost, you know, what she never got to do, or the grandchildren she never got to meet. I was twenty nine, so not not a child by any means, but sort of still just undone by it. You know, your grief, well, speaking only for myself, it's subside. It lessens over time, but it doesn't go away, and it changes texture and it kind of surges. At certain times, you know, there are things that you think, oh God, wish they were here for this, But also sometimes you just overcome by it for no reason at all. One of the things the narrator talks about is this shame of still carrying this grief that she thinks she should be over. You know, it's embarrassing to be stumbling around as a middle aged woman still wanting your mummy.
Speaker 2: Do you think you'll like her?
Speaker 3: No, I don't think I am. I think I'm a lot like my dad. I guess one of the propellers for the work is that sort of that difference is a preoccupation because I'm not as private as she was, and I'm not as you know. She was a very kind woman and who did do good acts in the world, like genuinely practically, I think, especially when you're young, people don't believe in genuinely kind people, you know. And the narrative says, it's always confused me that people seem to think that habitual kindness is some kind of mask or disguise or a lie. And she says, but it was true. She was, and my mother was, and in some ways maybe she could only do those sorts of kind things for people, because she had a sort of separateness from people at the same time.
Speaker 2: One of the wonderfully evocative things in this is you're writing about country that is where you came from and the place of your childhood. I'm so interested in what that process was of creative and imaginative pilgrimage back home.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's funny because it didn't involve a physical pilgrimage back home for quite some time. But I knew I wanted to write about that landscape of the minero in southern New South Wales where I grew up, and it is a very austere landscape. Currently which poet it was called it the lunar landscape, but it is, you know, treeless plane with these patches of enormous stony boulders, and the light on those very shallow sort of planes at certain times of the day is just unbelievably beautiful. And it's something very physical for me about that landscape. It's whenever I talk about it, I start gesturing my gut on my solar plexus. It does feel like an umbilical connection to that place. And you know, of course, a lot of the book is about the narrator's mother, which is about my mother. So when the narrator goes back to this place, it's almost like she goes there out of an animal instinct, not out of any kind of rational decision making process. And I guess my feelings about that landscape, I've quite sort of primitive and animal, well, instinctive rather than intellectual.
Speaker 2: That instinctive thing comes through with your narrator, but there is also the magic of the place holds for her imaginatively. There's a sequence where she's driving and she's rattling off the names of towns like a half remembered mantra. I think we've all done that when on a road trip that we've done many times. Is that place names and the names of things take us immediately back to that space.
Speaker 3: Yeah, their beautifully rhythmic name, and she says they come back into her body, you know, not just into her mind, and they're kind of like I think she says, like beads and a rosary, or like naming the parts of my own body. And certainly I had that experience going back. I think it's about the place where you were a small child just has a whole of you with a kind of cellular level in some way that other places don't.
Speaker 2: I think one of the tensions of the book is that your character goes back there, as you say, instinctively to escape and for solitude, for isolation, as escape, but she does so to a place where she's crowded in on all sides. By association, it seems to me someone who genuinely wants to escape and goes somewhere SOLDI goes away from the places where they have history.
Speaker 3: Yes, she says somewhere that maybe in another language, there's a word for the particular kind of despair that I had. It that time. It was a need to go somewhere that I had never been, but that was nevertheless my home in some way. So she goes to this religious community of nuns where she's never been, and it's not her home as not even in the town where she grew up, but sort of nearby. So it was some sort of homing instinct, I think, and I've only thought about this since the book was finished, but there's a sense that that kind of bare bedrock landscape understands her and that's what takes her back there. It's like her kind of psychic state is in a similarly stripped back It sort of aligns tonally with the actual physical world.
Speaker 2: It's so important to Estonia devotional. Your main character, like you, is not a person of faith, but like you, draw some solace from being around some of those rituals and finds it a respite from the modern life that she's trying to escape.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she sort of comes to this place after some deep psychic crisis that is to do partly with her work as an environmental activist and other kind of unexplained things. Really, but she sort of comforted a little, but also always ambivalent about being there. She doesn't get to a point where she thinks, oh, this is where I belong. Mainly she's thinking, God, I can't believe I'm still here, you know, because of all these reasons why I should not be here. I don't believe in God. I don't even know what prayer is. I will never understand what that means. And also what am I doing being a part of this organization which is so appalling in so many ways? And yet there are moments of deep peace that she has only had there, really, and there is something about the rhythm of the day, and you know, for someone in a deeps of crisis, just going somewhere where you don't have to make any decisions. But at the same time, she's always grappling with this tension between two sort of mantras that she keeps coming back to. The first one is action is the antidote to despair, and the other one is first, do no harm. And she's always believed, as I have always believed, that action is the antidote to despair. And then after a certain time, you look at all that action that you've tried to take and think, what is it done. I think that sense of futility is really overwhelming. And then she comes across these women who are you know, they may be seen to not be doing any good in the world, but they're not doing any harm. They're not proselytizing, they're not trying to convert anyone, they're not harassing anyone, they're not going anywhere, they're not using any resources really, and it's sort of a Hubris come up and for her to think, you know, I've always kind of despised people like this, and yet now here I am because the other alternatives have failed.
Speaker 2: We'll be back in a minute. The idea of action being the antidote to despair. You know, for you, for your career, that action has taken the form of creation. You know, it's taken the form of making and leaving the world palpably, discernibly better for the thing that you've made. That creative practice seems to me to be at the heart for you. You don't give that same comfort to your.
Speaker 3: Character in this book, no, I mean, I feel like my creative practice has a palpable benefit for me. I would never presume to think it had any benefit for anyone else beyond that. I mean, of course I love it when people are affected by my work or whatever, but I'm not I don't see that as helping make the world a better place to be honest, I do feel that art is a place to turn when everything is in such dire states. Then sometimes the stillness of art actually is what can sort of calm me. And I guess I'm talking about visual art as well as literature. There is something enduring about art. I mean, I would turn to art over a church any day. But as for you contributing to the greater good, I would never suggest that my heart has contributed.
Speaker 2: That's what the podcast interviewers roll, Well, you don't have to claim it in a way then I'll presume. But no, I'm glad you make that distinction that you can receive that benefit from art.
Speaker 3: I really believe this in an almost religious way, that making something delivers serious benefit to the maker. And it might be making a cake, it might be making a garden, but the act of making it does good, you know, And I don't you know, I don't know about in some sort of metaphysical way of whether putting something good into the world has any benefit beyond the actual thing itself.
Speaker 2: The question that stone our devotional asks, I think in really interesting ways, is what we owe to one another. And I think if we're not having that conversation, then we're the poorer for it, you know. Again, not trying to make great claims for the outcome of it, but we have to have these things we make that allow us to ask those questions.
Speaker 3: Well, writing is asking questions. I mean, when I write fiction, it's usually to do with some question that I have about how to be, you know, and clearly an obsession of mine that I never kind of realized until it's done. It say, oh, there it is again, this idea of how to live with other people that you haven't chosen to live with, you know, the natural way of things. Girls were all incarcerated together. The women in the Weekend did choose to be together, but they sort of almost were there by duty more than anything else. And this one, you know, she's there having to live a life that is quite restrictive. But the thing that really drives the nazis the other people.
Speaker 2: It's very relatable. That's the main crisis.
Speaker 3: Ever, there's other people, it always, but we have to figure out ways to live with each other with some kind of I mean, I don't want to sound like I have any answers to this, because I we don't, and the book doesn't. But it's an exploration of forgiveness and what it means and who gets to forgive and when is it too late to forgive or be forgiven. I'm really interested in thinking about those things myself, you know, and I don't usually come to any conclusions, but that propels the making of the book.
Speaker 2: I guess one of the questions in the book is, you know, on the one hand, choosing not to engage, choosing solitude and choosing to escape is an utterly valid set of choices, but against a backdrop of climate catastrophe, of society going to hell in a handbasket at a disturbingly rapid rate, opting out suddenly seems counter to the idea of being good. Back to that question of what we owe one another? Do we owe one another engagement?
Speaker 3: Yes, I think we do. But I suppose the struggle is always engagement of what kind? You know, Like someone asked me yesterday, do I how much I engage with the news, you know, with current affairs? And I said not very much by choice because it sends me crazy, and you know, you're go into that kind of paralysis. If I watched for news bulletins a day about what's happening in the world right now, would that lead me to take any more action to do something? No, it would not. But so I mean, I think a certain level of awareness is essential for a kind of moral life. But then what do you do with that? How do you engage? That's the thorny question. And you know, getting online and screaming at other people on social media is not I think, no it isn't. But sometimes that feels like action, you know, sometimes the greatest act of support you can offer is to shut up. And you know, restraint is not something we think about very much as a way of being an ethical person behaving ethically. But I think it's kind of underrated.
Speaker 2: You say. In many ways, it's your most personal book, which is hardly surprising given the year you've had. Is this the new way of things for you for the foreseeable future. Is your relationship with your own creativity, your own storytelling irreparably changed?
Speaker 3: I hope, so, look, every book changes you. I feel like I have matured as a writer with this book. Particularly The Natural Way Things did teach me a lot. And the big thing it taught me was that a book will show you how to write it if you pay attention and if you don't fight it, you know, And I fought it for a long time, and then I find with that book I had to surrender to the fact that it was this dark and harrowing story. And I think I've gradually seen then become more interested in writing much more instinctively. One of the people I thought about as I was writing Stoneyard Devotional was Joan London, a writer absolutely adore and admire, and I interviewed her years ago and she talked about allowing a book to come rather than forcing it, which is what I'd always done. And I was so kind of inspired by this. And she would write little notes to herself, as writers do all the time, and then she would purposely lose them in her writing room or wherever it, maybe even in the house, and then later she would sort of come across them as these little gifts, you know, and she said, and I would just catch them as lightly as possible, and she said, I've got lighter and lighter. And I found that so beautiful and inspiring. And the other thing she said she had spoken to one of her kids, I think, who told her this quote from Andre Gide, who said art is a collaboration between God and the artist, and the more God has to do with it, the better, by which I took to me, you know, God as the spirit of art, as the unconscious, as the unknown force of art. And that's what I'm interested in doing now, just giving that a lot more rain and more and not questioning it. And my brother said a beautiful thing to me about the book. He said, I felt like I was in a river. I felt it was a river carrying me. I don't know why I'm suddenly it makes me really emotional. But I loved that that it was sort of he was carried by the book. If anybody else feels that way, it's because of trusting that your art instinct is doing the work for you. And you have that instinct to put two quite strange things next to each other, to put a mouse plague in the middle of a nunnery, or to you know, put these strange things together, and that it makes sense without you having to make sense of it.
Speaker 2: If that makes sense, it does. I think you've once again, John, is there every reason to trust your instincts. It is a privilege to read it and a privilege to chat to you today.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much, Michael, thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Charlotte Wood's latest book, Stonia Devotional, is available at your local independent bookstore.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much for listening to another special episode of Read This. Join us each Sunday to hear our favorite interviews from the show, Listen out for upcoming conversations with Robbie Arnott and Malcolm Knox, And if you don't want to wait until next Sunday to dive in to read this, you can search for it wherever you listen to podcasts,