Speaker 1: Appod Shape Production.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the Chills. These are short, spooky stories that you're most likely to get from a mate over a whine or two a dinner. They're the sort of stories that you don't believe unless, of course, they happen to you. If you have a story that you think could give us the chills, then email us at the Chills at podshape dot com. Let's hear Ryan's story. Now. I first heard this story as part of another podcast I was recording. It starts off pretty macabre, but trust me, it will give you the chills by the time Ryan's done.
Speaker 1: We were in Adelaide in my grandfather's house at the time due to the fact that my grandfather had just been murdered. How little did we know at that time. It actually has turned out that my sister had actually murdered him by dab again to that.
Speaker 2: So now you have the context. If you want to hear that story about Ryan's granddad being killed by his sister, then you can listen to it in the full podcast My Sister the Murderer, which is out now on the player you're listening to.
Speaker 1: So the first instance that we had is when we first recovered the house. The police attended us over the keys. My mum and I were the executors at the wheels, so we were able to actually go back in once they had cleaned it and whatnot. We decided that we were going to re They changed the lock in the front door and the back door as we thought that the keys had gone astraight. When we were waiting for the locksmith to come, we were sitting in the formal lantern, which is the face we never really got to go in. It had a lot of my great grandmother's furniture in there, and a few other keeps eggs, a lot of crystal, that sort of thing, and so the doors were always closed and it was always dark. At this particular night, we were sitting in there on an old lounge suite which was my great grandmother's, one of those green olive dark with the big wooden arm breast and they could actually recline by pulling that big wooden lever. Anyway, we were sitting in there and my mum was talking about some difficulties she was having with another family member about the will, and I think she felt a little bit defeated, and at the time she said, oh, I think I'm just going to give up and just let him have whatever money he wants to have. And as she said that, the whole armchair that she was sitting in completely opened up and nearly flung her off the armchair. And she said, Uh, okay, I take that as a sign I'm not going to succeed, like not go ahead with theirs. I will buy that. It was a bit speaking at the time. We all looked at each other and had a bit of a moment going, oh, my god, did that actually just have.
Speaker 2: I mean, Ryan had me at my sister killed my granddad. But that story about the chair giving way, which felt like someone from beyond was trying to tell Ryan something. It's creepy. But the next one blew me away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, funny enough. In the exact same room we were, there was a mental peak clock that was in my grandfather's house and I've always admired it from a little boy, and I said, oh, what is that and who is that? And I knew it to be again my great grandmother. And I said to my grandfather as I was growing up, I would love to have that one day, if you're happy to pass it down. And so he said, yeah, absolutely, it's yours, but it's broken. It's been broken for years. I said, okay, no worries. Anyway, he did obviously pass away, and when I was in the house with my sister and my mom, I asked him my sister to help in wrapping that. So I brought into the formal lunge room again and I sat it on the floor and I got the bubble wrap handy and I said, when I pick up the bubble wrap and lay it, I want you to pick up the mental piece clock and lay it down for me, just so I can get a flat And as she picked it up, it began to chime so incredibly loudly throughout the whole house and at times numerous times, and I went, oh, I thought it was meant to be broken. And Britney's face went wide as a ghost, and my mum on the other side of the room like, what are you doing? What's going on? What have you broken? Essentially, and she comes in and this thing is still going off loud chime. It eventually quietened, but it was still making like coe chime noises. We wrapped it, we covered it, and I ended up covering up with another layer of this paper, and I could still hear it very quietly going in the paper. Anyway, I put it into storage for about a year, moved it up to prison eventually, and then about another year later I got it out and I wanted to put it in the house, and as I said, it was broken, I couldn't seem to get the wine. It wouldn't make any noise. And the clockface was broken as well. It had the glass to be replaced. So I took a tambourine mountains at the one of the cuckoo clock places and I so, can you please fix it for me? It's broken.
Speaker 2: That shop Ryan's talking about, I know, well, it's a cool little shop on the outskirts of the Gold Coast and the hinterland. It's a place that most people from around these parts know. When you walk in, there's every type of cuckoo clock you can imagine. So Ryan walks in carrying his granddad's treasured possession. At this stage, Ryan knows that the face is broken and it's damaged, but the chiming is ok because just a year before at his granddad's house, it chimed while it was in the hands of his sister, who would eventually be charged by police with Ryan's granddad's murder.
Speaker 1: I said, but I think the times worked fine. They might go see the tumor. Anyway, it was with him for a few weeks and I went back up there and he said, oh, it's going to cost a little bit more than what you're expecting to pay because she had to put in new times. And I said, oh, what was wrong with the old one? They seem to work perfectly fine. And they're like, there isn't any and I said, oh, that's impossible because it was chiming when I last it out. He said, no, it couldn't have. There literally is nothing for it to bang against in order for it to actually chime. And then we looked back and obviously my sister was the one that actually murdered my grandfather, and she was holding it at the time of the prost off.
Speaker 2: Another sign from granddad.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, either granddad or my great grandmother, someone was trying to tell her something.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And you still have the clock now, I don't have.
Speaker 1: The clock in my laundroom anymore. To be honest, it to me the creeps a little bit. So it's downstairs in the basement in storage. But yes, I still have it.
Speaker 2: If you've got a story like Ryan's that can give us the chills, then reach out and tell us it's the chills. Podshat dot com. See you next time.