Speaker 1: Hello, welcome to the Daily Telegraph. In our podcast on Brent Reid with Tyson Jackson just to us stay.
Speaker 2: Twice yes, best buds mate, that's just.
Speaker 1: Carrying the can for everyone else. And he's bludged on a Monday and warning, but someone's going to do it. We're carrying the flag mate. Well obviously the big news over the week well out of the weekend. I guess his origin teams whiles a couple of changes. We'll start with them. Latrell out huge news, mccarryanas and mate, Mick Carryon's broke that news on Saturday, huge, huge news that brad and Best as we speak now is in the centers but he's having some skins and then I thought he's a been unlucky. Hamoli got dropped for Mitch Barnett. Latrell. Let's start with Latrell is huge out.
Speaker 2: Isn't he big out of the Blues? Latrell? I mean after his.
Speaker 1: Performance tipping Queens.
Speaker 2: We started already, Yeah, Latrell massive out. But I mean Bradman Best comes in. Bradman Best has been there before, He's performed on an origent stage. Yeah, he's been pretty solid the club as well. I mean, both Newcastle centers yesterday were on fire. But yeah, Bradman I like the I like the pick. I probably edged Bradmon over over Tommy Tommy. Yeah, just you know, fitness wise, and you know, almost also for Tommy's own well being. Yeah, he's played one game, big run of injuries. Do we want to choke him into Origin so he can last fifteen minutes and potentially get injured?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Well I think he looked if you I watched that game on Saturday night, the mainly game up in Towns. I thought Tommy just looked a bit like he was holding himself back a bit, and I reckon that would have played on the selector's minds. He just didn't look free flowing and he didn't really get the opportunity to stretch out for memory in that game. And he had a solid game and they obviously they won. It was a great win for Manley, but he just didn't I didn't think he looked ready for an Origin game.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Confidence, Confidence is a huge thing coming off the injury that he's had, but not only that, the injuries he's had. You know, and you can come back, and you can come back and come back and find form all these times, it only takes one to be like, what if I get injured again?
Speaker 1: Can I?
Speaker 2: Can I keep going? Can I keep doing this? And yeah he's Look, we all know what tom Travoyevich is, but as a Rugby League fan, and it hurts me saying this is a Blue supporter, I'd must rather see Tommy on the field long term, rush him into an Origin game and then what we see him for fifteen more minutes of this year and then we don't see him until this time next year.
Speaker 1: The other options we obviously Joey, Sue Lee and Maddie Burton probably do you think either of them warranted selection with joe played Origin one obviously and by played a little bit of it not long and Maddie Burton's been a great form for Canry won another game for them on Friday night, now was it? So you know those guys robbers Hee contention as well. But Bradman obviously played last year Game three, did a great job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look, I think if Joey played one more game before before team select, he probably gets the nod. I think, Madge, I really like what Magic did with Joey bringing him into Game two, really making sure that the fault from Game Mob wasn't placed on him. It says a lot about the coach, and it says a lot about kind of how much they admire Joey and he's a great young player. But yeah, look, he hasn't played in eight weeks now one, six weeks, six weeks. But by the time, yeah, game rolls around and putting him into so this means he won't be playing into Origin three, which is a nine week turnaround. So yeah, look, I understand why Joey wasn't picked Berto. I mean, would have been easy to pick Berto because he's just Bulldog's been on fire the whole team. But Burt especially, he's kicking game. But also, you haven't played center all year. I think Bradman is the best. Bradmin is best. That is the best pick.
Speaker 1: What about the troll? Obviously I reckon. One of the real features of orangin Mum was the one use that well was bullied queens Origin too, sorry, was the one use that was bullied queens. And they basically any chance I had there was a little bit of a shove in the back, you know, squeeze the neck, hand on the face. All that's I mean you know, Angus got up in Dally's face. You know, Liam Martin got up in Tommy Didon's face. They were just really aggressive and Latrell was at the heart of that as well. I mean, Latrell gave you know, I watched the game back a couple of times and Latrell got stuck in the reesewsh a couple of times. He's obviously a really physical presence. Latrell, does you said, lose a bit of that? I mean he's got that. You mentioned the aura around him, but do they lose a bit of that physicality as well? Losing Latroll you reckon.
Speaker 2: Or well obviously if you lose Latroll he's not there. Yeah, you're losing. You're losing some of that. But Bradman brings something different, you know. I think what was really good to see in game two from the Blues was the fact that it wasn't the players that are always doing the niggle, doing the needle, like Leam Martin obviously always at that front of that lead, but then you've got someone like Mitch Moses. Look, Mitch Moses defensively in game two was was great and really shut down any chance that tom didn't had to kind of get a roll on. So if they can come in with that same mentality and all of them can kind of rip in, then Latrell being out becomes less of an issue. So yeah, look, Latroll huge loss. No one's saying that that's not the case. But I think as as a Blue supporter and as a fan of rugby league, you've got to really put the earnest on the guys that are playing, and I think they are more than capable of doing the job with Latron not there.
Speaker 1: What about the Mighty Morons? They mighte a couple of changes. Billy's copying a bit of flak for his dumping their open media session, they won't do an open media session and the lead up the game three, but obviously Dane gag I back no edge for Feeder, which was a bit of a surprise, Callum Ponger back, Let's not going to that, Sorry for Feeder, nook. Sorry Calen fonger back after only one game. We'll touch on touch on individually, kaylen Back. I love this selection because I love KP. He's one of the grots. I love watching KP play. It'd be interested to see I was used off the bench, but he has played that role before when he made his origin, but it was off for memory, it was off the bench playing. Is that that role the Queens that have always used when you come on and inject him in the middle of the field. He was good yesterday without I didn't see this game or I was at the other game, but I'm told he was good without being great yesterday.
Speaker 2: I think the only thing that's stopped him from me and great was just he had a lot of errors. But I mean it's expected when you're someone like Kaylen who's trying everything and close game as well, which I love to see. I love to see players not playing so safe when they're only up by four points. Kaylen was really trying to win that game, and I think that comes into his selection. I found myself over the weekend when talking to people saying, oh, Caylen plays good, I'd have him straight into the Marines team. I don't know why I was saying that, because I don't want that, like as a as a Blues fan, I do. I don't want Latrell Mitchell. I mean sorry, I don't want Kaylen Ponger in that in that Morange jumper and especially off the bench I was at game two and twenty eighteen when he made his debut and he almost won him the game. Yeah Teddymate tackle. Yeah, literally two meters out from the line, it goes any other way, slides over and they win the game in corners. So it's really dangerous. Great selection by Billy. I mean if you're if you're Billy, you've only got two options there. You've got solen Cob off the bench or you've got Kayln Ponger off the bench. And I think Kaylen Ponger just brings a little bit more because he can cover those positions in the back line. You can put him up wing and put him a full back and put him in the halves, but he can now he can come in at lock and really do some damage around their middle forwards if they get tired.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well the go I forgot was co Collos into the team as well. Obviously miss game two with a mix of things personal reasons, I think, and some injury. You know, obviously Murray too long, he got ruled out. So Coppo is a big in for Queensland. But Dane Gagy sort of dispensed with two years ago Billy overlooked him and then he was pretty good yesterday and he's got the he's got the call up day and he's never let Queens end down daye.
Speaker 2: Well, he's still a Queenslander as Billy all Queenslanders, and he'll he'll probably he'll probably show it on Wednesday in a week's time, because like you said, he's never let do.
Speaker 1: You reckon is he would have breathed a bit of a sigh of relief and Latroll got ruled out, Dane gag. I mean, now that he's been picked, he probably knew he was in the mix, right, but when Latrell got ruled out, I mean he's a foresty character, Dane. He would have got up in Latrell's face. But now he might have to mark teammate Bradman best going knows really well.
Speaker 2: Well, I said earlier to you. Both Knight centers are on fire at the moment, so that is it's a great matchup. But when it comes to La Troll, if you're playing in the NRL, it doesn't matter who you're coming up against. You're not You're not breathing a sigh of relief because you're not you're not up against the trial. I think that might actually brought the best out of danega guy, and I think I think Bradman's a just as good of a replacement because you know, you're not going to want to let your team make out one over you. So yeah, look, is he Is he more happy that Latrelle's he's not having the line upgainst the Troy. I don't think so, but I mean probably different game plan. Now. Like you mentioned before, Ladrill and Bradman two completely different characters to completely different playing styles.
Speaker 1: It's kind a Kirk Cape on the back row rather than big Davy boy Dave for Feeder. I think a lot of us thought David be there. I thought Dave to be fair for a guy playing for an Origin spot. I thought Dave was pretty average. The other night for the Titans against Cronulla, I thought he had a I didn't think he had his best game. I didn't think he really or Thursday, I think, wasn't it that game memory? He didn't really assert himself in that game. I didn't think when when Origin was there for it looked like he was almost a little bit going through the motions that you know, I've got to get through this game and Origins around the corner.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I still would have picked him, but I don't know how you leave I don't know how you leave Davi for Feeder out, especially after game two. It's like, yes, Kirk Kirk Cape was a eight player, Yes he's done it before, but David Forfeta is so much X factor you're leaving out of that team, Like he can play the tough role you just get through the hard work. You can play that that role on on the edge. But is it almost a similar case with the Blues how Madge is leaving old Kauai tu out.
Speaker 1: We should have touched on that. I forgot overlooked that back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I look if we look at both select both selections, are they just looking for something different like touching on al Quai too. You can look at Mitch Barnett, Rob you said Ola, who might have been a bit hard done by earlier, And yeah, he might have been. But for what the team's trying to do and maybe Queenslands are saying is just have that hard worker in there, that's gonna that's going to get through the work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's probably deserves enough to the year he's had and he's unbelievable for the Warriors on on Friday Night, but very unlucky to lose that game. Mitch Barnette was starr in that game. He's one of those guys. You know, you look at guys and you go, it's sort of made for Origin. Yeah, he strikes is made Origin, sort of going, you know, tough, uncompromising, gets through a load of work, always does his job. Just seems like one of those guys.
Speaker 2: Ken mckinness was made for Origin to it.
Speaker 1: He was got rid of. He was supposed to boy to give you a chance to new So we to stick the knife into Billy, right, I don't like doing this, but I'll do it for you. He's canceled media, no open media session. What does this say to you? Because, okay, let's we'll get the people a background. Generally in first day the team's come in Origin camp, every player is available for the media. Queens and I've both been doing it for as long as I can remember, but continue to do it to do it this series. But this game, Billy scrapped the open media session, so it's only a couple of players and Billy will do media on the first day. What what do you think that says?
Speaker 2: I don't like it. I mean I like it as a fan, I don't like it as a journalist. If I'm the NROL, I really hate it. I think I think it's a you got look at bigger picture sometimes having an open media down them where they're most likely not training it they'll probably start training on the Tuesday or Wednesday. Like it's it's necessary not only for you know, the players to get really the load out of the way, because all you're doing now is we're not having a dedicated two hours to the media on the first day. Every time one of these players are up, they're gonna get peppin WI questions because that's it's putting more pressure on their players. It doesn't sell the game. We looked at our buzz looked at in his column on the weekend how poor rugby union ratings is, like do we want that? Do we want a similar thing there? Like, I think I get why he's probably thinking, oh, distractions, distractions, but there's gonna be more distraction because it's gonna be more pressure put on these players.
Speaker 1: Now, well, I think that, and there's gonna be plenty of It's given some more ammunition ammunition of the news at Wales media is sort of stick at to Billy and say, well, you know, he's under pressure, he's reacting. I suppose Billy probably doesn't care, right, because that takes the attention off the players. So maybe there's a bit of method behind the madness in that respect. But I'm a bit like you. I don't. I don't. I don't really like it because we are the conduit between players and the public, you know, And I know a lot of public go, well, it's just media complaining. But you know, and that game is probably I think it's already a sellout, probably, but you're still got to market the game, sell the game, push up TV ratings, all that sort of stuff.
Speaker 2: We're getting getting getting people into the stadiums not the problem. It's getting the viewers on TV. It's especially it's a Wednesday night, it's eight o'clock. You know. As a kid, I used to love seeing what the players were saying leading into the Origin games and what was kind of what was going on, what the team used was how the players were feeling, how you know, how Dan Go Guy's feeling getting brought back into the team. That's getting robbed from a fans perspective, and there will be people out there. They'll be like, oh, it's Tyson and Reedy complaining because they're not getting to right stories. But that's not the case. Poor Pete, Midell, poor Pete and Travyluby has just been in Greece.
Speaker 1: He's come back to that to be filthy.
Speaker 2: It's just I think it's silly. I think as well. It's this is the first time since Billy has been coached third series and that he'said pressure, like a lot of pressure running and this is what makes a break to the Coach've seen it before and I really like Billy Slatter as a coach. I think he could be a great, honor old coach, even though he doesn't want to be. But this is not a good sign.
Speaker 1: Okay Tyson suggesting Bill is about to shadow under the pressure. It's still a club like a big, big decision this morning, Paramatta. They've been a long term, long long term search for a coach to place Brad Arthur. Basically came down to Jason Rowles or Josh Hannah, and they've announced this morning to Jason Rowles the new head coach. Hell of an apprenticeship been under Craig Bellamy and Melbourne two stints, Trent Robinson at the Roosters. Eddie Jones within the Rugby Union was off of the Dragons job last year, almost took it, changed his mind sort of the eleventh hour, but he really wanted this job. And as I said, he's a guys who you couldn't have done a better apprenticeship than Jason Rowles.
Speaker 2: I mean, look at that.
Speaker 1: It's amazing when I see Roles he's a head coach. He was a lunatic as a player, yeah, just a madman, but he's become a really thoughtful and well spoken articular coach. Rolesey.
Speaker 2: I really like how selective he has been. It would have been very easy to jump into that Dragon's role. And I think I think Shane Flanagan's a perfect coach for the Dragons. I think they're doing I mean not yesterday, but I think overall the improvement's been there, but for Jason Ross to get his hands on the eels with I think the senior talent is really important to have, which you know, we see rookie coaches get put into teams with real junior talent and you know it's it's it's taking cams a rather a little bit time at the Bulldogs, but now he's finally found his feet. So to get that senior tel in there that can really help help Jason do the best job as a coach. I think that's a real big thumbs up and a real positive. I think Rosey was the best candidate to get picked as well. He's, you know, like you said, the people he's coached under. I mean, if you're a player and you've played under those people, you've won. How many premierships Assistant coaches get brushed over it as people who you know aren't really included in the big praise and things like that. But he would have played a massive role in you know, the Storm success, the Rooster's success, England rugby union success as well, and.
Speaker 1: That's one thing they really wanted. They wanted to go in a winning system and come from a winning system. It's got some big decisions to make and some big issues to resolve. Firstly, Zach Lomax. Obviously there's been whispers Zach may not want to go to Paramatta, might want a backflip. The club spoke to Zach this morning. He's in Origin care with Mitch Moses. They had a hook up with Mitch and Zach was there and they took him through the decision. But that's crucial. He's got to keep Zach Lomax and convince him. And I think he knows Zach from Woollongong. They were obviously both sort of Dragons guys. So crucially he convinces Zach to come over.
Speaker 2: Definitely, I mean, he's just start signing. He's the one. I think he's the best winger in the camp at the moment. I don't think yesterday showed it, but I don't think that it was his fault. I think the Dragon's doing to utilize him. I know he's coming apparently to play center. Apparently also might want to keep him on the wing. But yeah, you've got to keep Zach Clomax. You got to keep doing Brown. I think that's that's the number one thing. If we've heard duress in Dylan Brown's camp, Dylan Brown leaves, it is a massive hole and that sets you back.
Speaker 1: Well. The other issue they got young Blaze t Laney. They've got to try and keep him because he's self contract at the end of the year and he was waiting to see who the coach would be before he made decision on what he did. But that may influence where Zach Lomax even plays, because Zach can play sen you can play fullback. Blaze sorry, they could play center, he could play fullback. They want to move Gutho from full back and put Blaze there, they can move the centers and maybe Zach players in the wing. But he's a good young kid, plays to lung In. He's sort of the future of that footy club. We saw another kid at the week in Charlie Golen and looked really good.
Speaker 2: The commentators loved and believe it. I could not believe it. I was like, if I was this kid's pair, I'd almost think they were taking the piss. But no, he had he had a great debut. Let's touch on Blaze. Blaze is a free talent. He's so good. Still got an error or two in his game. Yeah, But I mean we see in the best players be like that as well. They kind of play on that edge. They'll they'll throw that one pass and it'll be interceptn and I'll throw it again and score them the game. When you try, I think. I mean, if you ask me what the Eels are going to do, what they should do I would put Blazer fullback. I would put Gotho in the centers and then look, if you want to keep Max happy, you'd have to play him the centers. But I think if you have Gutho and Lomax on one edge, yeah, I like that combination. Guth is not a selfish player. He'll he'll get Lomax that ball. He'll getting him in good space, and we's touching the ball a lot more than centers are these days, a lot more. They are more vital role. Lomax's carries out of trouble when off kicks first and second tackle, his finishing abilities also just his target, his target as as a as a kick target in play when they're going to score tras. We're both at that game yesterday and they couldn't. They couldn't find him the ball, and the Dragons couldn't score points. They scored six points and it was a it was a lucky try to a dummy half kind of burrow over. But when they get low Max the ball, he's going to score. And yeah, that's that's where he has to be. If they can somehow find a way to utilize him at center, great, but his best position I think we all agree is on the wing.
Speaker 1: What about Let's look at a few of the club games of the weekend. Firstly, the Rusters games. You were there, mate, spotted the Rusters looked awesome again they been They've been outstanding in recent weeks. Against the Dragons last and they played them a bit of by sixty. The Dragons were in the game sort of early in that second half, they weren't they. I think it was about fifty minutes or so they were still in the.
Speaker 2: Game, but down by two or four points.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they were closer.
Speaker 2: I feel like they and I mean as someone who watched the game, you can see I think the Roosters were all over them, right. They were lucky to get as close as they did. So I said they scored six points before I think they scored twelve. But yeah, I think the Dragons felt that they were a lot further away than they actually were, and they tried to almost go away from the style of football that the Dragons have kind of been doing well out this year. But yeah, the Ruses, I mean Jarea High stay around for another year. Him and Spencer l Enu, Lindsay Collins till May. They've got so many weapons in that team, and I loved saying that. It's like the crowd was on fire for them. You you were there ready when Spencer was running off the back fence. I haven't heard an eruption like that since since an Origins. Yeah, they've got they've got something really special going there, a perfect mix of the old with the new. And yeah, I'm I think I said it last week. I think I'm more inclined to pick the Risks to win the compo for any other team right now. And that's not even their full strength side yesterday, maybe two centers that aren't center's playing. And yeah, I think they're still trying to figure out a few things, but they're looking good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what about the night We've spoke about the nights we'll get We'll give them a we'll move move past the break. Yeah, I'm just sort of looking at my phone because there's a bit of talk going on the Brad and best make it ruled out of origin yet. So he's got to have a scare will. We said he's getting assessed. He's on his way to Sydney to get assess so that may have changed by the time we come off the podcast. But Brad the best. It's pretty severe doubt for Origin. So we'll keeping on that during the day. Mainly great win by Manly in Towns will Man. They've been so inconsistent this year Manly, but they played real tough up there.
Speaker 2: And I pointed something, how quickly reading last week you said the Cowboys are a lot for the time, did you? And I laughed at you and asked me that next week, And I'm not putting one. If they are doesn't get in, they'll scraping at eighth. But I said to you, I said to you last week, and he kind of rinsed me for it. You were like, well, you don't think they're going to make it all like you and said.
Speaker 1: Yeah, three wins, four wins maybe.
Speaker 2: Do you think do you think after after that game they could not close it? They had that many opportunities to close that game and they cannot be trusted for they could not do it all over the place. You know, they've got a games coming up where they're going to be close like that for the remainder of the year. And he tell me they get to that situation again, are you trusting Chad downs and to kick a field goal? He trusting kick a.
Speaker 1: Field fair income, he was right in front put a twenty out.
Speaker 2: Should have me field guys, you reckon. They kicked in this game.
Speaker 1: It was I think they had six shots or something it was, and that one from Scotty drink Water was ridiculous. But they never went back to him. Did they think maybe they went back to him once for one of them. Why were you get back to Scotti drink Water after narling? Now they kept going to val and then the oldest man Dahly chair Evans, he just he's unbelievable, golden point with field goals, Daly Chairs Cherry Evans and that was It's just a huge win for Manly and suddenly they're back in the eight again and everything's swimming, everything's going swimmingly. But they played tough, you know, con they've they've just shown.
Speaker 2: A bit of.
Speaker 1: A week a weak backbone, but they showed a bit of backbone on the weekend. It's tough conditions Tommy back obviously great for them, but it's a great win for mainly it's the when you build a season on that.
Speaker 2: Is that that weekly Now, Yeah, look, it's a great win. I think I think when it comes down to it, the competition finishes in about ten weeks time. Let's get when I look back at this, because I think one of these teams will miss it on the eighth. Yeah, I probably think it will be the Cowboys. I think I think Manly's got just a little bit more more striking them and if they can really get firing, they'll be good. But yeah, like I said, manse those tough games which the Cowboys will be and finished the year. I can't see him. I can't see him securing him. Just look at the weekend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they can't be trusted the cameras. I said. Let's touch on one final game, the Broncos Penrith Grand Final rematch Bronx played. I thought the Broncos played pretty good in this Penrith's got too many bodies out at the moment the Broncos, but I thought that a red hot go lost Jock Madden as well with a hamstring problem.
Speaker 2: Now yeah, I think, yeah, I think the Broncos were everyone said last week they they've got to win. You know, they can't lose another one. Their season is not over yet. It'll take one win and they'll be back on. But yeah, I mean it's not looking great, and it's just you know, I'm not a Broncos fan. They're not even in my top three favorite team in the competition. But to see a team with that much talent, like your top five or maybe top five. My girlfriend likes the Broncos, got to be a big fan of Patrick Rogan. But yeah, like just to say, to see a team with that much talent lose is yeah, yeah, it's a shame because I mean, I think last year both of these teams produced one of the best Grand Finals we've ever seen, and there's a good chance one of these teams don't even play in one of those finals games. That team is the Broncos.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, they I think if they can play like this, defend like this though, and they start getting some players back, I get through Origin without any more injuries, I still think they're.
Speaker 2: A hypeither be my But yeah, I just yeah, like I said, it's just a shame. It's really a shame because like that's again, they probably would have lost, whether they're on a losing streak or not. But yeah, they they've lost games and they should have won, and that's what's hurting them now because they shouldn't be on this losing streak, anything.
Speaker 1: Else catcher over the weekend.
Speaker 2: Oh mate, I'll touch on my Tigers for a second.
Speaker 1: If like.
Speaker 2: The possum was back again as I think it was in it was a two GB or triple MS commentary. Yeah, we read about it ready to starry another but yeah, like the Tigers are going to be last or second last this year. Sadly they'll be, They'll be towards the bottom. But I really liked what I saw. Really yeah, I think just their younger player for Holly is becoming one of my favorite players. You know, his his work ethic, he's fearless. I mean, if they can really build around some of these young players coming through. I don't know it's been said, but see young players that were not talking about like the Nooly was great. You know, you add that with Locky Galvin, you add that, you know, with somebody seeing you had like happy chorus now and then and more guys coming through. As a Tigers fan, and I guess a message types fans wouldn't be, you know, kind of getting real crappy that there's a good chance that when the death thirstraight Wooden Spoon, because there's definitely been improvement. But the storm of Froight, I mean it took some It took a sin bin the two tries, while the Tigers had.
Speaker 1: The moments of brilliance from my man far Alongo as well.
Speaker 2: And Jerome Hughes.
Speaker 1: Jerome H's how good. He's unbelievable too.
Speaker 2: He's very He's he's severely underrated.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think people acknowledge he's a great player.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but when you're talking about the best half backs, the calm having people bringing Jerome Hughes, he should be.
Speaker 1: He's in the top three. Yeah, and on his day, does he make your top three, because that's very top three is a very elast.
Speaker 2: He's in my top three, just the three Tiger Street Jersey great in their first grade. No, he's a Yeah, Jerome Hughes is a great player. As a fan, you watch him, you know, you're teams versing him and you're like, oh, yeah, stop giving him the ball because he just he makes stuff happy.
Speaker 1: That's a good note to end on the shout out to Jerome Hughes is becoming one of the great players, or is now one of the great players three top three the NRL. Thanks for joining us. Thanks Tyson You'll see you next week on the NRL Photograph Podcast.