Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, it's Lucky Dip Day with now Mountain's days.
Speaker 2: MMS. That was a security company, wasn't it. MMS.
Speaker 1: It's my husband's initials.
Speaker 2: That's what that is.
Speaker 1: Oh, what's his middle name? Michael Maxwell, Michael Ah Sullivan.
Speaker 2: Yep, MMS. I like it rolls off the tongue.
Speaker 1: Actually it's Max as well. Is it your youngest.
Speaker 2: Small Lane Sullivan? Good?
Speaker 1: What a coincident, skies.
Speaker 2: That's freaky boring. Well, if this was not meant to be, I don't know.
Speaker 1: What was shot to start a.
Speaker 2: Okay, my lucky Dip today. This is fascinating. So you know, Friday the thirteenth is like a weird date. People of their superstitious about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, why the number Thirteens are very superstitious number two.
Speaker 2: Yes, well I'm about to tell you why. Okay, it's an actual phobia. It's called I'm going to mispronounce this. It's called trick cedeca phobia. Someone who's phobic around the number thirteen. There are some different trains of thought about the origins, but number one is that the number twelve, which is my favorite number, is believed to be the perfect number. Like there's twelve months of the year, twelve zodiac signs, twelve days of Christmas. But they think that beyond that, the next number is unlucky because twelve is so perfect, the next number is unlucky. Then they also believe that one of the world's oldest legal documents, right from like I don't know, seventeen fifty BC or something, there was like a clerical error and the thirteenth Law was left out, so there was some curse around that. But also, you know, Jesus had twelve apostles apostles, and you know the last apostles, right, Like.
Speaker 1: What's the apostle? I only know on the Great Ocean Road in Victoria.
Speaker 2: Apostles it's like his gangs, like his people that were there whatever, And you know he had the Last Supper. Yeah, Judas was like the twelfth Apostle or whatever, so that he was the thirteenth person there, and he's the person that betrayed Jesus, right Judas. Okay, so weird, some weird origins, but some weird shits happened on Friday the thirteenth. I'm going to go through a couple of them with you. Do you remember the movie Alive and yes, right, yes, so they.
Speaker 1: Were the soccer plane crashed in the andes they ate each other.
Speaker 2: Yes, there is, because that is that's really come back because there's a Netflix show about it called Something of the Snow anyway, but it's like a remake of it. So a lot of the survivors have done interviews and there is one on lad Bible that is so mesmerizing to watch. It is one of the guys talking about exactly what happened. So he was saying, as the plane was going down, it had broken apart. They were all Catholic, right, so in his head he thought, I'm going to start praying, and he wanted to do the Our Father, which is a prayer, and he's like, it's too long. I'm going to do the Hail Mary, which is shorter. He said, by the time he started the Hail Mary, in his mind, he finished it just as the plane had come to a stop. It happened like that quick. But he said, the level of consciousness you have in that moment and how fast it happens, but how slow it happens at the same time, and the really big fucking takeaway it's so incredible is that he was saying everyone talks about our story, like they refer to the cannibalism side.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally. I just remember them meeting the bum bum.
Speaker 2: He's like, I am telling you. Any person who says I would never do that, you don't know what you are capable of. He said that the pain of that sort of hunger, your body starts to eat itself from the inside. It is not a choice. Oh okay. He said they tried eating their belts because of the leather. They tried anyway, how it is so fascinating if you go to lad Bible, it's unbelievable. And he said, nobody talks about the other shit that we did, Like who knows you can't eat ice like ice in the andes ice I correct that hydrate you because your body has to convert it, like melt it and convert it so that uses energy. So you've got to melt it first before you can drink it or else it sort of dehydrates you.
Speaker 1: But they wouldn't have been able to melt it. How they know they did, That's what I'm saying. It was like he talks about like they were all given duties and then they would take like one of them took metal from the fuselage and would put the ice in it so in the sun it would melt, and then he made a contraption out of it. They used like parts from something on the plane, and they made sunglasses because the snow was so bright it was like blinding them. They would take like the covers off the seats and make shoes like it was so crafty. That's unbelievable.
Speaker 2: It's unbelievable, but a very long winded way of saying that. That happened on Friday October thirteenth, nineteen seventy two. On that same day, Friday, October thirteenth, nineteen seventy two, in Russia, an Aeroflot flight with one hundred and seventy four people on board, Like I don't note overshot the runway or something. Everyone was killed. In Moscow same day, on Friday, August thirteenth, twenty ten, a thirteen year old boy was struck by lightning. The lightning hit at one thirteen PM, which is thirteen thirteen, like you know on the military clock or whatever. He survived unharmed, though, so you know, shit, but also a miracle, okay. On Friday October thirteenth, nineteen eighty nine, the stock market fell six point nine one percent. I don't know what that means, but I figure it's a lot.
Speaker 1: It must be a lot.
Speaker 2: It was the second worst day in market history, especially for people who were like investing in stocks at the time. It was like a huge thing.
Speaker 1: I'd be more impressed if it was the first worst day in history.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wonder what the first was. Yeah, you know what I'm doing after this? On Friday, January thirteenth, twenty twelve, do you remember this Italian cruise liner called the Costa Concordia. It's a fucking like it's horrible, like thirty two people died, But the story's funny because the captain was basically like not doing what he was meant to be doing, and he had his girlfriend in the bridge with him, and it was like the Titanic. It hit something, water started filling up. He fucking jumped into a lifeboat and just you know, went to a hotel, just left everyone on board, like it was you should do that for a doozy, Yeah, definitely do that.
Speaker 1: For Where is he now? What happened to his life?
Speaker 2: I think he went to prison, but he told like he's you know, it's incredible when you see these men who were just like such little weaklings that they're weasels. They lie about shit. He said that he was trying to save people, and he fell into a lifeboat from the top of it.
Speaker 1: With his dick still attached to his girl.
Speaker 2: My god, But apparently every year the world's economy loses around nine hundred million dollars because people are afraid to work and travel on this date, especially the airline industry. No one wants to fly on Friday the thirteen. Oh now I'm not going to never thought about it.
Speaker 1: Now I will because the flights will be cheaper.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm too paranoid to mess with that. Yeah, me too, me too.
Speaker 1: Oh good, now, they were great facts. I'm fascinated. I want to go and watch that a live doc o.
Speaker 2: Now it's called something like Society of the Snow right God.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The people that were in that crash have all said it's the most accurate sort of depiction of what it was really like. Okay, the guy said, as well. He's like, you look around, he said, it's like a postcard. It's just white, snow covered mountains everywhere you look, he said, But then you realize you're in the most like a barren place. There is nothing, there's not it, there's not trees, there's no life there, there was no chance of like killing something and eating it or having a river or there was nothing but snow and mountains made.
Speaker 1: It is fascinating, so fascinating. But you know, it's all the little stories of people's Friday the thirteenth that we don't hear too.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, just the day to day Fridays thirteenth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, if you've got one, Yeah, let us message. Show and Tell Online is where you can find us on Instagram. Thank you for listening to our patreons or our patrons whatever it's called. You get an extra podcast every two weeks and thank you. You can head over to patreon dot com forward slash Show and Tell Online. They start about four dollars a month. And yeah, anyway, thank you so much for choosing our podcast to listen to. We'll chat to your soon to doodles.