Speaker 1: From The Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Monday, April twenty seven, twenty twenty six. Donald Trump says he's a target for would be assassins because he has changed America. That's after a man armed with guns and a knife rushed a security checkpoint at a black tie dinner in a Washington, DC hotel where Trump was a guest. Teacher Cole Allen has been charged. Trump begged Americans to commit to resolving their differences peacefully. In South Wales, Western Australia and the Act will take today as a public holiday to mark Anzac Day. Crowds are streaming through the newly renovated War Memorial in Canberra. There are special footy games. People are baking Anzac biscuits together. A couple of generations ago, Anzac Day was in danger of dying out. Now it's bigger than ever so changed. Our reporter Jamie Walker is here.
Speaker 2: It just seems to get bigger every year, doesn't it. And it's also quite remarkable to think about it that this is at a time when Australia is not at war. You know, we are not yet directly involved in the Iran conflict.
Speaker 3: Though we obviously have some people in.
Speaker 2: Jubai, and I think it says a lot about.
Speaker 3: How much Anzac Day means to the country.
Speaker 1: Jamie Walker is an associate editor with The Australian.
Speaker 2: And I've been reflecting on us a little bit and I'm very interested in what Steve Weisard had to say. He wrote a book about the Anzac legend, what he calls the Anzac Myth, and he makes a point that every country has to have a foundational myth.
Speaker 3: In the United States, it's the War.
Speaker 2: Of Independence, the movement of the settlers and the development out west in that country.
Speaker 3: In the Night Kingdom.
Speaker 2: You know, it's all tied up with the monarchy and Magna Carta and all of these things. What is the foundational myth of Australia. Well, it's not federation, is it. I think it's Zact Day that speaks to our character about makeship, about sacrifice, about many of the things we see ourselves as being Australia would like to see ourselves as being as Australians.
Speaker 1: It's probably a little bit more inclusive, maybe for younger Australians two who might feel conflicted about Australia Day, for example. Plenty of Indigenous veterans, of course, have served across Australia services throughout the past century and more, and so perhaps there's an ability to feel more excited about Anzac Day. I was watching the Rugby League over the weekend and heard someone describing Anzac Day. A commentator describing Anzac Day as Australia's most important day. I thought that was really interesting when we do have Australia Day again.
Speaker 2: I think the problem with Australia Day is that it's slightly conflicted, isn't it. You know, it's Invasion Day to many Australians. I think younger people are probably a little more skeptical about it. Anzac Day is unambiguous. I don't know if you celebrate Anzact Day or commemorate Anzac Day. I think you do both. And I think that shows where in the way the day rolls out. Starts with the very very solemn ritual of the dawn service, and then it rolls into the marches, which are quite joyous events, and of course the afternoon at the pub or at the footy or whatever, or at the barbecue in the backyard. So it's a day that brings people together, whereas I think Australia Day for an element of us at least, there is a divisive element in it, and for that reason I think Anzac Day, Yeah, it's certainly our national day and one thing we've reflected on in the past, clear which you know, we're both of a certain generation, I expect more so than I am the new But I remember vividly going to Anzac Day in the nineteen sixties and early seventies with my grandfather who was a World War Two veteran in North Queensland, and it wasn't exactly a fashionable thing to do, you know. It was all these old blokes from the RSL marching around and we're all sitting there thinking, well, what's all this about? And I think the big circuit breaker and it's always worth reflecting on this was the Peter Weir movie Gallipoli.
Speaker 3: Loo can make us go?
Speaker 1: Are they?
Speaker 2: There's no point as men should have gone Barton Marca Fax I've been seeing not by.
Speaker 4: Me, sir.
Speaker 5: I've asked for confirmation from General dun orders our to attack, and you'll do so immediately.
Speaker 3: The British Atsulram must be allowed to get ashore. Is that clear? You are to push on? It's cold, but a murdered I said, push on. From a place you never heard of, comes a story you'll never forget.
Speaker 2: And at that time why that had such effect I think in the nineteenth very early nineteen eighties, and why it helped switch around the public view that Anzac Day was a bit old fashioned, a bit daggy, a bit out of step with what we think is that for the first time my generation saw the World War One diggers of blokes who went to Gallipoli and then on to the Western Front. We saw them as young men. We hadn't experienced that before. We were used to seeing them with their short back inside haircuts, you know, standing in the bar at the RSL, complaining about us. So I think that was part of this process of change which we now see in its fulfillment today.
Speaker 1: Keith Payne, what a remarkable Australian. He was a relatively young army officer, although already an experienced veteran from the Korean War. When in Vietnam, despite having suffered terrible injuries of his own, he showed enormous gallantry under fire and saved the lives of of his comrades. You spoke to him about his feelings about vis Anzac Day, and particularly about the controversy that's now raging about Ben Robert Smith, the VC recipient who's accused of five counts of war crime murder. What did Keith Paine tell you about Ben Robert.
Speaker 2: Smith, Well, he said, unambiguously, he's a friend, not just a fellow VC holder. He considers Ben Robert Smith a mate and he considered it his duty to stand by him. So Keith Payin came out and said, I'd much on Enzac Day with Ben Robert Smith.
Speaker 3: He's my friend.
Speaker 2: Living soldier has spent his first night behind bars after being charged with five counts of war crime murder.
Speaker 5: After ten days in Sydney's Silver Water Prison, Ben Robert Smith is on his way back to Queensland.
Speaker 2: He also talks a little bit about his ethos I suppose, and he's very strong in this point. He says what happens in war should stay in war. In other words, he's saying that it's very, very difficult to second judge all of the things that might happen in a firefight or in the course of combat. And I think that's something worth taking into account. I mean, we can all look back on, you know, things in perfect hindsight, and we all look back in our lives and wish we did things differently. But gosh, when you're a soldier, there's no do overs, and the decisions are made in a split moment, and very often the events are entirely out of your control.
Speaker 3: And I think he, of all people is aware of that.
Speaker 1: Ben Robert Smith made a speech after attending a dawn service on Saturday at Carombin in Queensland.
Speaker 5: As I day is not about one individual or an individual battle, or even a war. It is about acknowledging those that, when asked, answered a nation's call to defend this country in the hope that they will made it.
Speaker 3: A better place.
Speaker 5: This ends at day. I would like to thank all of the servicemen and women, the veterans and their families.
Speaker 1: Ben Robert Smith will, of course vigorously defend himself. He says he always acted within the rules of engagement and within the law. The jury in his trial, if he does ever get to trial, will probably not know what those rules of engagement are, though, because it's already been declared in the Commonwealth Statement of facts in that matter, that the rules of engagement are classified and can't be shared in open court. Australians are debating this in the years that it will take for Ben Robert Smith to actually get to trial. What are you hearing from veterans about what they think about that very question, Jamie, whether an alleged breach of the rules of engagement or an an act in war might have breached Australian law.
Speaker 2: Look, I think again there's a cross section of opinion among the veterans community, and so goes to a little bit of the internal politics within the military that the regular army guys probably resent a little bit of the resources, including higher pay that goes to the ESAs, and I think some of the if you talk to a regular army guy, they will say, we're professional soldiers, We're bound by the rules of war, we abide by them, and we've got little time for anyone who breaks those rules. Now, that comes down to a judgment of what you think of the case against Ben Robert Smith, And in due course we're all going to hear chapter and verse of that, and it will be a very very different case, of course, than what was presented at the Civil proceedings. This will be a criminal trial with a much much higher standard of beyond reasonable doubt than where you saw in the civil proceedings on the.
Speaker 3: Balance of probability. So put that aside.
Speaker 2: I think also within the military community, I think there is a lot of sympathy for Ben Robert Smith on the basis of of how much publicity this has received, how in the views of some that it's been trialed by media. I don't necessarily subscribe to that, but some people believe that, and I think that it's going to be a very very polarizing case and a very very difficult case just on the merits of what went on, let alone the fact that this man won.
Speaker 3: The highest award for valor that Australia can give.
Speaker 1: After the break more of my conversation with Jamie. Women have served throughout Australia's history of conflict, whether it's on the battlefield as nurses or back home as wives, homemakers, supporters for the men who'd gone to serve. You've been speaking to some of the widows who are supported by a legacy.
Speaker 3: What are they.
Speaker 1: Telling you, Jamie at this time of year.
Speaker 2: Oh, look, we have a lovely story in the paper about Jess Taylor, who's thirty six, whose husband died after he returned from Afghanistan in very tragic circumstances, and Betty Bull, who's a hundred and hilarious.
Speaker 5: I have for a tea.
Speaker 3: Thank you. If it's made wrong, it's right. I don't make it.
Speaker 4: Is that your excuse and I'm sticking to it, oh aih.
Speaker 2: Anyway, we got them together just to share their experiences, and what they said was they just feel this incredible bond. You know, there's sixty odd years between them in age, and yet they can each relate to each other's experience so deeply, and particularly with the trauma that Jess endured with the family, she says she actually spends quite a bit of time with older women.
Speaker 3: She says she doesn't even have to talk to them.
Speaker 2: You know, she just sits there and she knows they understand what she has gone through after her husband came back from war.
Speaker 3: Her husband had served.
Speaker 2: In East Temor and in Afghanistan and had a pretty rough time when he came back and unfortunately passed away during that awful process.
Speaker 4: You're showing me that it doesn't matter what you've been through, you are still living a fulfilled life, and you're still laughing and you're dancing, and that to me shows so much promise in my life and my boys' lives.
Speaker 3: God Bleach and Darling god Bleach Sheel.
Speaker 1: Of course they deserve our respect and acknowledgment. And today they'll be bathed in Lofe. I hope lest we forget. Thank you very much, Jamie, Thank you, Clyn. Jamie Walker is an associate editor with The Australian. You can check out all his work right now at the Australian dot com dot au