Speaker 1: I get a Champs, craig An here, Harper, Tiffany and Cook. It is the project that's you. It's Saturday afternoon. It's nine minutes past four. I've got my radio voice on for some weird reason, sitting on seventeen degrees. Now find City by the Bay, heading for a top of nineteen tomorrow, a little bit of cloud about down some early morning rain and now back to the show. Tip get I over there at typ Central.
Speaker 2: You've got quite a skill to riff like that.
Speaker 1: I know that's from twenty years and twenty years, but even when I did radio, I didn't talk like that anyway.
Speaker 2: When we were on retreat, Jem who you've had on the show, Jim Fuller who random retreat in India. He's quite musical, so he actually used to have what he has albums that he used to be in a band, So we had albums and so he had his guitar up there and he sang an eight minute song like just impromptu riffing about us. And I think that is incredibly talented to put a song together off the top of your head, and you know, it made us laugh and it rhymed and it worked, and it's I love that you can. Yes, plus your too, haven't you.
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: I do have a guitar, Allen.
Speaker 1: I can play guitar, and not brilliantly, by the way, but I've played since I was a little kid. Still got a few guitars lying around, and every now and then I drag it out of retirement and just smash my fingers for about three days and then I get almost get callouses back, and then I put it back in the cupboard.
Speaker 3: So who's really brilliant.
Speaker 1: That in the moment verbal kind of just going and going with no script and no rehearsing. Is the rap dudes who just just you know, in the middle of the beat just bang it on. Yeah, those guys are good those I don't have that. I don't have that. But to be able to do.
Speaker 2: I reckon you could, I reckon you could just give it a go. Really, I mean, you do it when you get on the podcast or if put will be to it, maybe.
Speaker 3: A little pretty well hit.
Speaker 1: I don't know that the world needs a sixty year old white guy with fucking l plates on his chest trying to just spit out a few wraps for the for the disinteresting.
Speaker 2: For the world needs.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well I'm already annoying enough. You know.
Speaker 1: I met this morning with I'll give a shout out Sharie, who used to work for me and is getting married soon. Anyway, it doesn't matter, shout out to Marie and her future wife whose name will come to me, maybe it's Hanny. Anyway, Well, chatting and said to me something that like a lot of people, well not a lot, but maybe a few people think or want to ask me but don't. And she's like, what do you think it's like being around you? And I went, well, this is something not only have I thought about it a lot of research, but it was interesting to unpack that, you know, and then to see how that lined up with what she thought. You know, It's like, well here's what I think. Well, and I've got an unfair advantage because one, I literally researched this as my doctorate, but also I've I've had a job where I do get feedback from people officially and unofficially, and so I do have some insight. But but it is.
Speaker 3: Funny how you know somebody can listen to you.
Speaker 1: I did three gigs this week, as you know, and my Monday night mentoring group, so we could almost call that four gigs and it's you just know that, like collectively, you know, nearly two thousand people I spoke to this week live, and you just know that there are going to be people that think that was the best thing they've ever heard. Literally, a lady came up to me, a youngish lady like thirty from South Africa, said, you're the best speaker I've ever heard.
Speaker 3: You're the best speaker I've ever heard. I've heard lots.
Speaker 1: I loved it, and I'm definitely not the best speaker by the way everyone, but that was what she said, and that was lovely, And I'm sure there were people that night at the same event who walked out and went not a fan. You know, that's the thing is that you you don't know how you are for someone, and you really well, you can try to be aware and sensitive and have a have an experience and an understanding and an awareness bigger than you, you still don't know because you don't have insight into the mind of especially people you've never met. You can't even guess what they're thinking because you have no understanding of who they are.
Speaker 2: What was the feedback or how aligned were you with Shari's perception or feedback on that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, reasonably close, you know. Yeah, Like I know that some people will find me inappropriate, and I get it, you know, depending on especially people that have no story with me or no journey with me. They've never seen me speak, they've never read any of my stuff. Now and then, you know, one of my followers or listeners will just lump a bit of me onto someone who's never.
Speaker 3: Heard of me, and they don't like it.
Speaker 1: They're like this, like it's like here, watch this guy, and they're like, I fucking hate him. And I don't blame them, but you know, it's like somebody who already has got, you know, a relationship with me. They know me, they understand where I'm coming from. They know that I care, they know I'm empathetic, they know that I'm direct and blunt and I swear, but they know where it's coming from, so they're not offended. But with somebody who doesn't understand the person behind the words, or the intention behind the words, or the backstory, it can be it can be a lot, you know, and I don't you know, that doesn't surprise me at all, but it is interesting that you get everything from your inspirational to you're a dickhead.
Speaker 2: Well, I want to ask you a quote. Want to come back to a question around that for you. But first we were talking about it, maybe with the crab in the gym last week around and the two people I mentioned that my perception of them shifted, and then how much I decided to then be a fan of them and not a hater. Was Jimmy Carr for some reason. Never used to like him, just straight off the CUF for really no reason at all. I was like, yeah, I'm not really fair of that guy. He kind of annoys me. Look like a mannequin, you know, just judgmental, unreasonable, like nothing behind it. And then listen. I think you might have sent a podcast that he was on, and I listened to that and I adore him because I love the person that he is beneath the comedians and now I love to scroll his comedy. And the same went for Norton by Elaine Can't stand Still. There's aspects, lots of aspects of how he presents on social media that I can't stand. But again I listened to a podcast and there's such a depth to him that I did understand and love that it changed my perception some of the social media content that he puts out to you.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So well, let me just say before that question, Tim's talking about a guy called Lane Norton, who is He's got a PhD. So I like, I like pointing out listeners in directions when you respect him and like him, so do I. I respect him more as a researcher and a scientist and an educator than I do as a bloke. I don't dislike him as a bloke, but he can be a bit clunky, and he's also he can come across as a bit self righteous and egotistical and also and all of that I'm okay with. What I'm not okay with is publicly just running lots of different people. You know, I get it, and I know it kind of works in terms of getting attention and subscribers and you know.
Speaker 3: But his instagram is called Biolane b io l A, Y and E.
Speaker 1: And his stuff is great, Like, if you really want a high level information, well researched, no bullshit, no fluff around nutrition, just just scroll.
Speaker 3: Through his stuff. It's it's very good. It is very good. There was one other person I was going to say it will come to me, all right, I'm ready.
Speaker 2: All right, where you're at now with your own experience and self awareness and how much you observe this what gets in the way for you at times that you recognize in the moments where maybe you're not paying attention or you're not aware of how, or you misjudge how someone interprets you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, look, maybe maybe ego, maybe emotion. You know, it's like you and I had an interesting moment today, right, and I'm going.
Speaker 3: To share because it's all good.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, everyone knows about it, so you may as well.
Speaker 1: Well, Okay, so sometimes and this wasn't a problem, but it was really interesting because I've been listening to We're All over the Shop today that fuck it, this is just you and mate chatting with a few thousand people listening. Have you heard of Terry Crews? I don't know if I've told you I'm listening to this book. So Terry Cruz is the dude that hosts America's Got Talent agt yep X NFL player Jacked like he's I think he's fifty six now, but he looks forty and he's fucking massive and jacked, and he grew up in a place called Flint, Michigan, I think it is, which was you know, he grew up in poverty or relative poverty. His dad was abusive and violent. His mum was like part of this very very culty church that he also grew up in. And he's black, and he faced a lot of discrimination, you know, men. He grew up in the sixties and seventies, and he just had a lot of a lot of challenges, right, But I've been listening and he was a self confessed pain in the US for one of a better term, like he was a chauvinist. He was he thought men were like he just grew up in this family that's where his old man was just like men of superior and then you know, he just had a whole lot of issues. But I've been listening to him, like it's I mean, it's interesting when you listen to a bio. I don't know how long it is, but I'm nearly finished. It must be nine or ten hours. When you get nine or ten hours of information about someone and you learn, Like I love really good bios because I want to listen to just their story and I find it interesting, Like Meghan Phelps Roper from you know that church one what's it called the west Westbrook Unfollow Westboro Baptist Like, if you want to listen to a fucking mind blowing bio everyone, it's called Unfollow, the book by Meghan Phelps Roper about her journey inside the Westboro Baptist Church. But anyway, I really identify with Terry Crews because you know, we're dudes, We're about the same age. He's got issues, I've got issues. And just listening to how he how he realized he was a fuck and he had to humble himself and apologize to his wife and even his kids for the way that he was a husband and a dad. And it's like he had these spiritual and or philosophical kind of revelations about and it was real. You know how when some people talk, I think I'm pretty decernd earning unless he's the best.
Speaker 3: Actor in the world. Like it's all very real.
Speaker 1: He says, every day, I apologize to my kids and my wife, but how I was in the first kind of ten to fifteen years of their marriage and all of that. But I just I really respected that, and I really, you know, so it's made me think about how I manage my emotions, how I manage myself around everyone, and even you, And so you made a minor mistake yesterday on one of the shows, like you, I did a conversation with Patrick you weren't in the show, which you normally are, and then you edited it later and it wasn't Thank god, I didn't do anything horrendous, but there was just there was a bit of what we call in the business everyone dead air where I was looking something up and I was stumbling and fucking trying to find something, as we do, and often if TIFF's not in the show, like really, we cut things out to be honest, but you know, if somebody stumbles or bumbles, they might say, oh, can I start that again? I go, sure, and go and they'll just start the sentence again, or you know, and so I will often say, TIF, can you just take that bit out? And so I was trying to find something and it took way too long. So there was some dead air about thirty seconds of not very spectacular listening. Wasn't a problem, it just wasn't very professional. And I said, TIF, can you take that out? And the world's best editor somehow missed that and left.
Speaker 3: It in and then honestly.
Speaker 1: And then I got a couple of messages going, hey, I don't think this is meant to be in and I went, and this is honest, and I told you this. Initially I was like a little bit fucked off, not like ten out of ten, but like two out of ten. And then I was more interested in that reaction, like I'm like, oh, what is that about, because clearly she didn't intend to do it. Clearly if she heard that she would have, you know.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 1: And then by the time I saw you, which was a few hours later, we lifted a few weights. Like I wasn't mad, I wasn't anything. But then I was thinking, how do I bring this up with Tiff in a way where I'm coming from a place of awareness, not on any level pissed offness, And how do I share this with her in a way that it's clear that like I don't want that to happen again, but at the same time, you know, shit happens and it's.
Speaker 3: Okay, you know.
Speaker 1: And then I literally came in and said, before we train, we need to have a quick grown up, you know, big boy big girl pants talk. And then you get this look that you always get like, ah, fuck, like like principles office.
Speaker 2: It's view. I'm like going in a moment.
Speaker 1: And then I went, it's all good, but this happened, and you're like, ah, you know, and I'm like, did you listen to it? And You're like I did. I did, but I get distracted. I'm like, okay, okay, and it was all good, Like there was no angst, there was no I wasn't you know. But even with that in the old days, I didn't handle those things as well as I should because some things and one hundred percent the problem was me, Like me, I'm the.
Speaker 3: Problem and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: I've had to work on where I mean, I would never go fucking guns blazing and yell at any of my staff ever, but I know that I can be intimidating. So I'm also very aware that, well, there are two things here. One I need to tell her this right. Two it's not life and death. Three how do I do it in a way where you know, I just let her know but there's no subsequent problem?
Speaker 3: Yeah, what I think we both went okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think like what I loved is even the acknowledgment of you were like at first, I was a bit pissed off, but I'm okay now acknowledging that, like, I think that's important. I funnily enough, and I hadn't told you. But before that, as I was driving to Anymore, just before, I was following up with a friend that I hadn't heard back from a couple of times, and then I messaged him on a different platform, I'm like hey, And because I was like, well, it's not reaching back out anyway, they poured out their heart and said, you know, we'd had a conversation and something the way that I had said something in a particular conversation had upset them, and they're not in a great place mentally, and they're struggling with a whole range of things. So they just this huge message and I read it and I felt terrible because I thought, oh, they've held onto something that I've unintentionally said and they've misinterpreted in some way, or they've felt they have a feeling about it. Old me would have been like, like, I didn't say that, and I'd be a bit defensive and angry. But I was like, I took the time, which was why I was a little bit later. I took the time to draft a message and acknowledge that and tell them I love them and blah blah blah. And you might not believe this, but it's the truth anyway. So hopefully we can catch up and have a chat. And I'm happy to let's have a chat about it. And I love the fact that they could hold on and say to me how they felt. And I love the fact that I didn't have to fucking defend myself this time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, wouldn't it be great if we could all do that? And you know, when you're pissed off or when you're happy, or when you're sad, or when you're disappointed or when you're frustrated, it doesn't have to become a thing. It doesn't need to elevate, you know, it doesn't need to become a problem. And also going in like realizing that there might have been a time when you would have gone.
Speaker 3: How fucking precious is this person?
Speaker 1: You know, really come on like there were times when I've done that and I've felt that, And that's for me. An ongoing challenge is because I want to help people become resilient. And becoming resilient, you know the process is dealing with shit that isn't always fun or fair or nice, and so I get I get the emotional devastation at times, and I'm supportive, but yeah, for me, it's like, what's the line.
Speaker 3: Where I go, oh, they're there and rub your back or I.
Speaker 1: Go, come on, Bro's it's a one out of ten problem, it's not a fifteen. But then there's the other side of that, mister psychology is well, it's one out of ten through your eyes, Craig, but maybe to them it's a nine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, and so you have to respect.
Speaker 1: That that version of reality without Yeah, it's a really interesting dynamic that you know, that whole kind of It's not my job to make you feel good.
Speaker 3: For three minutes or four minutes. As a coach.
Speaker 1: It's my job to help you build resilience and awareness and you know, high performance in all situations. But there will be times when you're falling apart and I'll just give you some love and that's okay.
Speaker 2: And I think I've got such a value on speaking now and speaking like not being silent, Like I would sweep everything under the rug and just wait for any emotional angst. I'ld either depart and abandon the relationship, or just wait until I had no emotional trigger about it and pretend it never happened, neither of which were great strategies for maintaining at any level of self worth or confidence, but also good relationships.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's an ongoing I mean, one of the challenges of personal development in inverted comma is the process not the product, right. I'll say that again everyone, the process not the product, right, Real personal development, real growth, real self help. Literally it should be called helping yourself, right, because that is also what it is. But with the commercialization of everything at the moment, self help and personal growth really just fucking stuff, you know, products and programs and stuff. But I'm more interested in the journey. But part of that is I think going into every whatever like this conversation now, assuming that I will fuck something up in this conversation, assuming that I will over the course of fifty or sixty minutes, probably get at least one or two things, definitely say something that will piss off at least one human, maybe one hundred. Also knowing that in a year I might re listen to this, which I definitely won't. But in an alternate reality, go ah, fuck, I don't agree with half of that. Now, you know this this need to be right that so many of us, including myself at stages of my journey have, it's just a form of potential analysis, our paralysis where we're just keeping ourselves trapped because we're not okay with being wrong, or with being embarrassed, or with saying I don't know you know, and that you know that's the and as we were, I don't know if we're talking about this at the gym, or we're talking about or maybe I was talking to Shari.
Speaker 3: I've had a lot on today. But the idea that.
Speaker 1: You know there is no best you know, there is no best anything, like there's no best diet, there's no best job, there's no best workout, there's no best leaders of water, there's no best hours of sleep.
Speaker 3: It's like it's all dependent on the individual.
Speaker 1: So to think that you and I are going to have a conversation that thousands of people will hear and everyone's going to like it, or everyone's going to dislike it, or everyone's going to be inspired, or you know, it's of course, so you have to go.
Speaker 3: It's that's one of the questions. Shari did ask me today was.
Speaker 1: How do you go with knowing that people won't like you or people will be pissed off or offended? Or I go, well, I have to be okay with that, because that's a statistical inevitability. Let's say in a hypothetical world that doesn't exis. But let's say that you and I had a conversation and everything that I say is absolutely unequivocally true, right, and every intention and every motive I have for that hour is positive and good. Well, of course there are still going to be people who are upset or pissed off or disinterested or and that doesn't mean I'm right and they're wrong. That just that's like an inevitability of the you know, the difference of humans. It's like we all just we're all just interpreting life and the world and all these inbound stimuli as we go, labeling things, giving things meaning, creating our own experiences without intending it. And in the middle of that, you're just the bloke or the girl with a podcast who just all you can control is, you know, production, conversation, words, intentions, and then get out of the way, and what will be will be.
Speaker 2: When you first you've had quite a while in working in the public eye. Now, when you first got some hard, not nice feedback around stuff like that, can you remember that? Can you remember how that felt and how you dealt with it.
Speaker 1: I can tell you a very funny story about exactly that. So it's twenty twenty four now, so I would say in about.
Speaker 3: Maybe twenty ten. This is one of many stories.
Speaker 1: I was working on air at se N and I was doing with Jackie Louder, good old Jackie Louder, maybe Australia's best sports site.
Speaker 3: We were doing.
Speaker 1: It was either Christmas Eve or New Year's Eve, the worst fucking time in the world to do radio because you can't get guests. Nobody's fucking listening. You know, there's seven people listening, they're all pissed. Two of them are fucking idiots. So you've got seven piss people, of which two are idiots, right, I mean, you've still actually got thousands of people listening, but it's not the normal audience.
Speaker 3: Anyway.
Speaker 1: This bloke started absolutely smashing me on the SMS machine. So you know, you have computers in front of you, and one of them is just dedicated to messages from listeners that come through on Melbourne's Homer Sports, you know, and there's a number, there's an SMS number, a mobile number they can SMS and so in real time in front of me, messages would come up in front of me on the screen, starting at about seven o'clock. I was on from six to twelve. Now, this is live commercial radio. There's no music, there's no get out of jail card. In a typical hour of radio back then, there might have been I can't exactly remember, maybe maybe twelve minutes of ads. So forty eight minutes of you live time six hours. That's a fucking huge amount. And like I said, you can't get guests because it's Christmas Eve and so on. So this bloke starts going, how the fuck did you get a job on this radio station? Like how they must be scraping the barrel, Who the fuck what.
Speaker 3: Have you done? Like you're a nobody?
Speaker 1: Like and this was at seven by the time, by the time it was like eleven thirty at night, he would have sent by then, by the way he kept listening, but he would have sent over forty completely horrible, feral, hurtful, you know, like extreme, you know.
Speaker 3: The C word, the F word.
Speaker 1: You're a f and useless. See have I hope they're you know all this right in the end, I said. I didn't say his name, but I said to him, I said, I finish. I finish at midnight. And this is when SEM was in Swan.
Speaker 3: Street, Richmond.
Speaker 1: When it's when it's it's not anymore, I said, the address is four seven three Swan Street, Richmond. I will be out the front at midnight, because we're off air at midnight. I'll be out the front at one minute two three minutes past twelve. I said, you feel free to come down now. This is on radio, right, this is you know, this is me. I wanted to punch the fuck out of him, and.
Speaker 3: I'm I'm telling on live radio.
Speaker 1: I'm telling this abusive listener to meet me outside the studio in like twenty five minutes. That's how That's how badly I coped with that.
Speaker 3: I mean, all your listeners.
Speaker 2: Right now are like, what take Harper.
Speaker 4: I know I'm not proud of it, but honestly, he was just a belligerent, offensive, like aggressive and all this you know what he'd like to.
Speaker 1: Do to me and punches, you know, I'm like, okay, all right, all right, champ, Well, I go, sure, this where I am?
Speaker 3: This where I am, so just head on down. Of course he didn't show up.
Speaker 2: Get through that. That set is a massive achievement, like, oh but the funny just thinking of that.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, and it was.
Speaker 1: And then you're on air and you're trying to be upbeat and you're trying to be you know, we had listeners call in and all of that, and you're trying to hold interesting conversations with with Jackie and you're doing you know, on radio, it's different because you're doing time checks and station IDs and you're coming in and out of breaks, and as you go into an ad, you're trying to hook the next thing because you want people to come back after the ad. So it's called a whole right, and you've gotta go after dad we're talking about you know, bah bah bah, it's fifteen minutes, half the hour at seventeen degrees. We'll be back after this. Listening to Melbourn's Homer Sport it's harps and Jackie boom out right, and then you've got about three minutes to regroup and quickly run and have a piss.
Speaker 3: You know, I'll get some caffeine it's very glamorous. Everyone's like, oh my god, radio is so glamorous. It ain't glamorous.
Speaker 2: And of course he's doing these days, I wonder what.
Speaker 1: Oh I hope he's kicked on. But you know, like, honestly, that that would not I would laugh.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: I wasn't as I think, as evolved as I am these days, and I probably had a bit more testosterone, and I was probably a little bit more fucking, a little bit more of a buff.
Speaker 2: Ed But yeah, wait out front. How long do you wait out I did.
Speaker 3: I waited out front till about twenty pounced.
Speaker 1: Well if it didn't come, which is probably good, Well, it's not, it's definitely good. It's because it's a bad idea. I'm not proud of what I just shared everyone. It's not a good thing. It definitely not one of my better moments. I definitely didn't walk my own talk. But also, yeah, I mean yeah, I worked in pubs from when I was nineteen till twenty three, three or four nights a week, so four years of people trying to punch me in the face for no sensible reason, you know, So like I was not I didn't love violence. I definitely of course didn't love violence or aggression or but I was kind of used to it, like it wasn't I didn't want it, but it didn't terrify me, you know. And then and then working in gyms, and you know, it's like I had my joint on the Highway festival Hall boxing ring, and I worked with boxes and grapplers and wrestlers and jiu jitsu dudes, and yeah, so I was all around, always around people scrapping and you know, big egos and testosterone, and so it wasn't like it was a foreign thing.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: I wasn't an accountant who had never been in a scrap Shout out to the accountants, you know. So I didn't want it, but yeah, but again not proud of that. My ambition for the rest of my life is never to get another altercation, very happily, very happily.
Speaker 3: But have you ever had.
Speaker 1: A fight other than out, other than in the ring, Like, have you ever got into any pushing and shoving with a girl or alive?
Speaker 2: Well, anyone had a good story, a good story. I can't believe you're going to make me tell this. I might have thrown, I might have thrown. This was just before I was a boxer too. I might have thrown a punch at a lady she was, she's.
Speaker 3: Any cook. It is my tippany cook.
Speaker 2: She was my dad's in inverted comma's friend, and she wasn't a good sort. So I might have got upset in the moment, and I might have executed some moves.
Speaker 3: Did you connect? Yeah, oh look at you. I couldn't be proud of.
Speaker 2: No, well, I actually wasn't. I shocked myself because I didn't think, because I wouldn't do confrontation or conflict or anything. And she just pushed my buttons and and and so I struck out and wow, she she was on the ground. Ah wow, that's that's all I remember thinking, is well, I'm going to go to jail now. I was so frightened. But then I gave her marching. We were in tazzy, she was, she was on a holiday, and she just was proving not to be a good person. And I was getting with the upset. She was taking advantage of my good hearted father, and I got mad about it and I said, and then I'm the next day, I said, you can you can go to Sydney now, if you've got friends in Sydney. You're not welcome here anymore. And I thought that my dad might never speak to me again. I thought that my dad's my best friend. And he had to go back to Melbourne before I did, and I was still in tazzy. This was over Christmas New Years, very long time ago, obviously, and he rang me when we got back and he said, I just want to say thanks, and that was amazing.
Speaker 1: Really yeah, Okay, how many we don't It doesn't sound like it this conversation everyone, but we neither of us recommend violence unless it's controlled and in a boxing ring with a referee. So if there are any kids listening, which there definitely aren't, but you know, just give someone a hug. Well, actually, no, don't because sometimes that's a bad idea too. How long ago was this?
Speaker 2: This would have been two thousand and eight or nine.
Speaker 3: Maybe, so fifteen or sixteen years ago.
Speaker 2: Yep, before I was boxing. I didn't start boxing twenty twelve, so it was before boxing, So I reckon two thousand maybe ten.
Speaker 3: Wow. Wow, it's when you think my dad, I'm like.
Speaker 2: A little pitbull. You do not do not do anything to my dad because I have got his back.
Speaker 3: Man, I'm with you. I'm like that with mum.
Speaker 1: The dude who grabbed my mum in the city on the arm, that didn't end well for him. The guy that wanted the guy that probably wasn't in the best shape, let's be honest, but just approached my mum and grabbed mum on the arm and wanted money. That didn't end well for him. Let's say he didn't get any money, but he did get present from Harps. It wasn't in the formative when.
Speaker 3: Years ago, fifteen, years ago.
Speaker 1: Ten twelve, Yeah, but did say, well, Mum would just stood there in shock, and so did dad. Yeah, but anyway, he ended up alright. He didn't get particularly hurt. I think nothing. Long term, he won't be doing that again. Oh, listen to us, we sound very aggressive. But can I say he literally grabbed my mum physically to like accosting her, and I was about a meter away looking in the other direction, turn around, saw him.
Speaker 3: My dad was in between mum and me. I literally pushed him backwards and grabbed old mate and just just.
Speaker 1: Moved him away gently from my mother. I just gently just moved him off to the.
Speaker 2: Side, gently negotiated.
Speaker 1: I just I just relocated him a little bit, just for the benefit of everyone.
Speaker 3: I went, I think you might be better off over here, Champ.
Speaker 1: That's enough for that. I will tell one more quick story about this shit. Is the first night I ever worked. Well, that's not true, because I worked in pubs in wa when I was eighteen nineteen.
Speaker 3: I forgot about that.
Speaker 1: But my first night in Melbourne, I worked at I won't say where it was called, because I might get in, I might get in trouble, I don't know. But anyway, a very well known pub not that far from where.
Speaker 3: I'm at now.
Speaker 1: And the first night, in the first hour, I put out a bloke who was being very troublesome. Let's say that it was about I don't know, ten thirty. He was either drunk or high or both. Very problematic he was being, and I was quite big and quite strong, so I controlled him and walked him out, and I walked him through the kind of the double doors in the boyer area and down the stairs to the car park and told him to go home and you know, don't come back in, or words to those effect. And then he turned round and I wasn't fully paying attention, my bad, and he head butted me and broke my nose. That was night one, night, one hour one and I'm like, oh, this is ok this is this is worth twelve dollars an hour, isn't it Okay? Look at me, Mum and dad, I'm killing and you thought I wouldn't amount to anything.
Speaker 3: Look at me now, look at me now?
Speaker 2: Oh character, because outside of the boxing ring, I would still flee. People often have said, oh, you'd feel safe being a boxer. I would run at conflict in the street still. And I remember being in high school and somebody was bullying me once and not really punched me, but kind of pretending to put in their fist like against my face and pushing me back into the wall. No, I chip myself. I wasn't going to do anything like you know this one time with It was just a highly charged and she was really pushing the buttons a little escapade.
Speaker 1: M Well, we're older, we're wiser, and it's a good thing. You and I both Buddhists now.
Speaker 2: So I went and sat on the mountain. So I'm different.
Speaker 3: Now you're different. You're different.
Speaker 1: Look now, it's been fun, but before we go, I just want to I just want to give a little bit of a shout out a tribute. Now, you told me some sad news today. I didn't know. It only happened yesterday. We're recording this Saturday afternoon. And as much as we know, correct me if I fuck any of this up. Kerwin Ray, who I was going to say, is but was a very well known Australian speaker, coach mentor does kind of did a lot of the stuff that I do. Essentially bigger profile than me, bigger brand than me, very well known to as far as I know, good guy, how Kerwin was on The You Project, Tiff reliably informs me episode four three seven, And yeah, he passed away yesterday and I don't know how old he was, but like a lot younger than me, like a decade younger than me or so. And that's so sad. So we want to just send our love and thoughts to his friends and family. And you know, it's not funny. It's interesting how you realize how long the show has been around now that I think that brings.
Speaker 3: To the.
Speaker 1: Total of people who have been on the show who are not with us anymore, up to six six people who have been on the U Project who are no longer with us. So you know, I don't know where he is. I don't know what happens these days. I don't know what I believe post life. But let's hope he's in a better place, and let's hope that his family and his friends are okay. And so we've had just a recap. So Nima, my friend the pharmacist who was on a bunch of times, he passed away. Simon Hammond, who was on the show at least once, maybe twice, who was a guru in marketing and branding and wrote at least one or two books. Simon passed away very recently. Dr Gladys mcgrary, who we had on I think it was about a year ago, about June twenty twenty three or something. Doctor Gladys was on at the teenage years of one hundred and two. She was and she passed away recently just before one hundred and fourth birthday. One of the one of my favorite humans that I worked with at Sin Kilda Footy Club, who was then the captain of Saint Kilda Footy Club, went on to train Richmond Football Club and had well documented issues with mental health and specifically depression and anxiety.
Speaker 3: And was on the show.
Speaker 1: Danny Frawley, who we lovingly referred to as Spud Spud passed away a couple of years ago, and then of course the very gorgeous and.
Speaker 3: Lovable and charismatic Johnny Ruffo.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it's I don't know, it's just like it.
Speaker 3: I don't know why all.
Speaker 1: Of those affected me, especially Nima, because him and I were close and I had dinner with him about three or four nights before he passed away. But I think because Kerwin Kerwan and I kind of do the same job, very similar, and definitely no one or you know, you wouldn't expect you know that, And it just made me just have a moment of reflection about my own, you know, mortality, you know.
Speaker 2: So I think it's it's it really highlights our mortality, and that's especially when people are around our age, like I think he was somewhere in his forties, late forties, maybe like I'm forty one, and it's just like in a moment, stuff can change, and that's terrifying.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And also I mean, I know this is an obvious thing to say, but then you go, oh, yeah, like all that matters, really, all that matters is the people that you love. And all that matters is you know, and I know in the day to day nous of our you know, of course you've got to pay the bills and put petrol in the car and make you break in, vacuum the floor and change the doner cover and all that, you know, but it's like, yeah, when we when we do do a self reflection and when we do do a little bit of an audit on well, what truly really matters to me? Like beyond the self help and the rah rah and the you project, come on, you can do it right, and all of that stuff matters, but you know what matters most, you know, what matters most is that we're here and that you know, like even with my mum and dad now and they're eighty five, Like when anyone asks me what's like, what's your what's your priority right now? I go, Well, my parents they're my priority. Like everything else matters, but nothing matters more than them, you know, And so there's nothing that I wouldn't do for them, including you know, dropping this podcast in a second if that's what I needed to do, you know, or you know, like there's nothing like and you just go, well, and that's you know, and that's hopefully that's not going to be required. But you know, it's like with your dad, you know, when when something happens like a nothing like even with you and that lady because you saw her probably as some kind of threat to his whatever he's well well being or he's you know whatever, and yeah, that's that so too when like like my mum and dad have been sick of various times, you know, and lots of surgeries and lots of literally near death moments. Mum cancer three times, Dad too, heart attacks, you know, mum, you know, getting a lung removed, and it's like in you know, sitting in the waiting room in a hospital when you know your dad has a massive heart attack, gets revived twice, then has quadruple bypass and you don't know if they're going to come out and go sorry he didn't make it, or you know he's out of surgery and he's okay, you know, like you're just you're sitting there next to your tiny little mum, who's the person she loves the most in the world, is in there with his destiny in someone else's hands. Yeah, all that shit where you go oh yeah, this is this is it, this is what matters. So anyway, that was deep and philosophical, perhaps unnecessarily so. But shout out to everyone who has anything or had anything to do with Kerwin and family and friends and colleagues and people who worked with him, because I think you were telling me, or maybe it was Melissa. He had a pretty big team that worked with him, you know, and so it was a lot more than even within the context of his business and his work.
Speaker 3: I think there was There's going to be a lot of people who, for a range of reasons.
Speaker 1: Be devastated on that very somber note. We need to maybe raise the energy a little bit before we head off. Have you got it's it's nearly five o'clock. Have you got any plans for this evening?
Speaker 3: Cook? Are you going out? Have you got a date?
Speaker 2: I've got no got to be party shoes on tonight. It's one of the first days or slash nights. I did some stuff this morning, but that I don't have plans because the new tip she does things with people. Now, it's amazing.
Speaker 3: Where what why is that? Like? Why are you so social? Now?
Speaker 1: Why are you getting out so And I'm seeing lots of photos of you with lots of people. I saw a photo of you lying on the ground looking at the sky today, like snuggled up to some lady. That's fine, by the way, I'm just like, what's that about.
Speaker 2: After I boasted that and read it, I was like, that's a very deep and meaningful A lot of people are going to look at that and think that I've hooked up with a woman. That was Shannon. That that was a photo from India. That was Shannon that I traveled to India with. It's been She's been really great, you know, in a rate for a range of reasons. So I wanted to acknowledge her. But that's you know. One of the realizations when I got back was I have just I've put my blinkers on for the last few years and I've said no, and I've been busy and i haven't spent time with people, and that's a really unbalanced life. And these have been the best couple of weeks that I've had. It's good. Maybe I will reach out to someone and hang out with them tonight.
Speaker 3: Maybe you will. Maybe you will.
Speaker 1: All right, everyone appreciate you, Thanks for listening. See you next time.