Speaker 1: Hi friends, thank you for tuning into the daily podcast and in soul called healthy issh Of course I am Felicity Harley and joining us in the hot seat today is our fabulous digital editor, Holly Berkeleman, and we are talking about the three hottest topics in the health and wellness world this week.
Speaker 2: Good day, Holly. How are you No, I'm well, How are you well? I'm back.
Speaker 1: I have had a stint hospital, but I'm back.
Speaker 2: Rough so rough.
Speaker 1: Tom slid as well. It was actually quincy, which is the worst form. But you know, it's amazing when you're actually in the hospital and you just value health so much more than ever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you're like, wow, I missed all of the days where I could swallow without crying.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, And you know what I just I mean, I couldn't eat for you know, a couple of days, and I just dreamed for the drinks that I could drink, like coffee, and I just I craved all these like dit cokes and that I don't really drink anymore.
Speaker 2: But it was very bizarre.
Speaker 3: You never realize how lucky you are until suddenly you can't swallow for the life of you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. Health is good.
Speaker 1: That exact cliche. Well, yeah, thank you, thank you. Nice to be back. How are you healthy.
Speaker 3: I'm well, it's my birthday today. Actually, I know, thank you. Yeah, I just thought i'd tell you guys all about have a bit of a main moment.
Speaker 2: Go for it. Oh, happy birthday.
Speaker 3: Thank you. I'm like, if I'm working, then I get to talk about a bit. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, we have to celebrate you exactly.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, let's also celebrate what's been happening on bodyansoult dot com dot a you this week, hit us with the most intriguing story of the week.
Speaker 3: The most intriguing story is one by contributor Ebony Lee, and the headline is five things you should never use as loop. Oh no, I know, oh no, indeed, fliss. So the reason I found this interesting and intriguing is because there are some things on the list that I'm so sure that people are still using. So while it's like it's an informative but quite an engaging read, it's also slightly traumatizing and maybe a good reminder.
Speaker 2: So okay for all, Okay, hit us with some of them.
Speaker 3: Okay, so before I tell you the five things, I'm actually just gonna say it's quickly. It's we all have microbiota in the vagina and it's always keeping its own balance down there. That's from gynecologists, is available toura, and if you get insert anything external it can cause an imbalance, as anyone who's ever had thrush will know. So the most shocking one on the list is saliva, which why everyone is probably guilty of, which is why we have to bring this up.
Speaker 2: Okay, why is this the case?
Speaker 3: So it's not a good agent as a lubricant because it wears off super quickly and also doesn't bring the kind of like easy slidey sensations that are normal lub would, so you can get friction, microteres and all sorts of things. So while it might be pretty the most convenient thing to reach for, it is certainly not the best.
Speaker 1: I don't even know where to respond to that. I did love that comment. The easiest thing to reach for anyway, carry on.
Speaker 3: Don't use it. Next up, there are a couple here that have like similar sort of reasoning. Moisturizers and lotions and soaps they upset the vaginal pH and also soaps can be quite harsh and very drying, so obviously that's not what we want going on down there. I do think using moisturizers and lotions is probably more of an American thing, which to like grab the lotion. I hate that I just said that, but that's I don't think it's a really an Australian thing.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: Massage oil is another one, because it can upset the imbalances down there, and also because it's oil based, so if you're using regular latex condoms they will erode through, which is obviously bad for STIs. And then vasolene, which is quite Australian and very puberty blues era, but I think some people probably still use it in the bedroom, and you shouldn't use that for the same reason as massage oils, because it's quite it's oil based, but also because it's very thick and hard to remove, so it can lead to infections and things like bacterial vaginosis, which no one wants.
Speaker 2: Well, that's a great little reminder.
Speaker 1: Thankfully, due to the sexual Wellness Revolution, we've got so many more loubs going around, especially ones that are designed particularly for women's volves and vaginas, and I think it's wonderful that there's so many.
Speaker 2: Out there rather than just the one that you used to be able to get. It will worse ll calls.
Speaker 3: I agree. And there's also been a bit of a like skin terrification of loubes as well, things like lovers Loube, which is really good and it actually has like skin care like ingredients in it which are meant to improve the health of your vagina rather than cause issues.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that story.
Speaker 1: Thanks for reminding us of the importance of lube.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're so welcome. Sorry if it was traumatizing, but I do think it's important.
Speaker 2: I liked it.
Speaker 1: Now I want to have you had this some Well it's a hashtag, this term called rejection therapy.
Speaker 3: I haven't heard of it, but I'm it sounds awful.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, it's had more than fifty five million posts on TikTok and I can't stop watching them. It's literally your worst nightmare come true. Basically, it's a hashtag that features cringe worthy videos where people put themselves in situations that are just so embarrassing. If I was in that situation, I would be sweating. Basically, the goal is to break their fear of being rejected, so and as they get ignored or laughed at.
Speaker 2: Or sight eyed or whatever.
Speaker 1: They hope to reduce the feelings of social anxiety and sensitivity. So an example a few examples that I saw on TikTok asking a barista for a free coffee. No, lying down in the middle of the busy street doing yoga.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: So they're just orc moments.
Speaker 3: That's my nightmare fuel.
Speaker 1: Although there was one where a girl applied to Harvard as a joke thinking she get rejected, but she ended up being waitlisted, so.
Speaker 2: There are some good ones.
Speaker 1: It's just basically people getting turned down in pretty painful ways. I mean the takeaway for these people who are doing it as saying that they're getting rejected is really as bad as you imagine it to be. And even when it is, you will live to see another day, and getting rejected makes you stronger. It takes the sting out of things next time. So it's not actually an official psychological treatment, but it is based on the anxiety management technique called exposure therapy.
Speaker 2: Would you do it?
Speaker 3: I would never. I would never. My fear of rejection is so high I just I couldn't. But I do like the rationale behind it. I think it's great to face your fears and realize that when the worst happens, that sometimes it's not as bad as you think it'll be. Yeah, exactly, I like you filming one of those videos, and I won't be putting myself in those situations. Thanks well.
Speaker 1: As you say, they're pretty low rest situations. So if you do want to step out of your comfort zone, so to speak, you want to boost your confidence and take risks. And I also spotted a video on TikTok of Harry Gar's side. He did this one hundred days Challenged, so and you know what, we had him on the podcast last year, and I wouldn't put it past him. I can imagine him doing this kind of.
Speaker 3: Thing for sure. He's great with that sort of thing. The uncomfortable challenges is that what he calls them?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think he does something like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm good for him. I'm glad you're doing it to him.
Speaker 1: Just quickly before we go, give us a quick rundown of the most clicked story of the week.
Speaker 3: Most clicked story was adding this one thing to your diet could help you live longer. It's funny. We were talking just before we started about how much people are talking about longevity.
Speaker 2: At the moment obsessed, everyone.
Speaker 3: Obsessed, and everyone in our emails is obsessed with longevity too. So it's good to see that this one has resonated with people online. So have you got any guesses of what you think this one thing could be? Please?
Speaker 1: Okay, it must be if I'm thinking of like the blue zones, it's got to be about a blue zone somewhere, so somewhere that where people live most amount of people live over one hundred yep.
Speaker 2: Close, yeah, okay, give us more.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'll just tell you it's actually small fish like in the blue zones. It's like Scandinavia is a blue zone, right.
Speaker 1: No, well, Ikiara in the Mediterranean. Oh sorry, that's in Japan. Sardinia in Mediterranean, so yeah, Japan.
Speaker 3: Okay, a lot of fish going on in the med too. Yeah, so actually small fish that includes things like mackerel, whitebait, and sardines. And there was a new study out of Japan that looked at how often people aged thirty five to sixty nine ate these small fish, and it found that women who ate them at least one to three times a month were less likely to die from cancer and other causes compared to women who rarely consume them. So this is your sign to add some anchovies to your goal lunch this weekend, or stick some sardines in a snack box.
Speaker 2: What about someone your birthday cake?
Speaker 3: I'll say no again, once again me rejecting advice on this podcast. Yeah no, I think I'll stick to cake today. Maybe some of anchovies at dinner.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like it anyway, Halley, you thank you for joining us this week on Healthy.
Speaker 3: Thank you bye.
Speaker 1: Well, if you want to know more about that longevity study or anything else we discussed, I will leave links to the stories in these show notes. If you did it, enjoy this chat and jump on rate and review this episode. Or of course, you can subscribe to this podcast, share with a friend, share the healthish love anything else you can jump online bodyandsoul dot com dot you, follow us on socials, grob I print edition which is out in your local Sunday paper, And until tomorrow, stay healthy ish