Speaker 1: Doctor Cam, your big stud, Welcome back to the probably less of a stud today than yesterday morning, to be honest, but we'll dive into that.
Speaker 2: Doctor Cam. Welcome back to the show.
Speaker 3: Kate be Harps. And there's no test to say I'm less of a stud right now. It could come in time.
Speaker 1: Well that that is true, Well we might as well just open the batting with that.
Speaker 2: We were.
Speaker 1: This was not You didn't jump on and say I want to talk about this. You were just telling me and I said are you brave enough? And you went, oh, if we have to. But so we're recording this on Tuesday the twenty second and yesterday the twenty first.
Speaker 2: You had a little bit of work.
Speaker 1: Done downstairs in the underbelly of you. You had a sectomy. Let's just spit it out, Harps.
Speaker 2: How are you feeling like?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 2: It's so? It's what is at one o'clock? Now? What time did you get that done?
Speaker 4: I got it done one thirty yesterday. It's the most surreal experience because you book.
Speaker 3: A half hour session.
Speaker 4: I was like, oh, surely this is some sort of like the doctor gets to know me type situation because I booked a half hour session and you walk in there and they give you a little video and he says, oh, yeah, we'll do this this, and this is like oh okay, oh it's all happening in a half hour appointment. So you get in, you have five minutes of shaking hands with the man, and then it's It's just what I was so fascinated by was he's done thousands of these because he's a vasectomy specialist. What is the order that he will do this in that he's obviously learnt over time. That creates the greatest amount of comfort, greatest amount efficiency, all of that sort of stuff. I just love looking at all of that as a process. But anyway, so we talked about that later. So you're in, it's he explained it to you. You jump down and then he just does the things. It's like a one millimeter less than a one millimeter incision and the whole thing's done about fifteen minutes, so.
Speaker 2: It's like the incision is like the other end of a matchstick.
Speaker 4: Less I would say, almost, Yeah, I guess I guess that, Like I don't know how he does it, but there is the Chinese bit of local anesthetic.
Speaker 3: I just loved his language with this as well, he goes.
Speaker 4: Just a bit of anesthetic, like that you're going to instead of you're going to feel a prick.
Speaker 3: It's just a bit of anesthetic. I really well, I like that.
Speaker 1: You're going to feel a bit of a prick, and so is he ish form haunt intended.
Speaker 2: But you know, I'm like you in that.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I'm fascinated with The whole thing is thirty minutes. So he's got to meet you, talk to you, try to some you know, I'm sure you're pretty okay with it, but some guys would be borderline hysterical.
Speaker 2: I would think, probably me included. So you've got to do all the.
Speaker 1: Interpersonal stuff and the social stuff and the be the doctor or in the patient stuff. They get to know you as much as you can, watch the video, do an operation, and then be out thirty twenty nine and a half minutes later.
Speaker 3: That's a lot.
Speaker 4: It's so fascinating as well, because this is the most personal I've ever been with a man ever.
Speaker 3: You know, like I've never never granted the access that this guy had, and.
Speaker 4: You walk out at the end of it, and it's like, I feel like I've got a real bond with this dude.
Speaker 3: But he's doing tent of them that day. I guess I was just thinking about what, like, he's got a fine, we now have a.
Speaker 4: Connection, because there was really no connection. But for me, it's like, man, this is like one of the biggest moments of my reproductive life, the end of it.
Speaker 3: Anyway, that was fascinating.
Speaker 4: But even just yeah, just jump up on you on the table with your clothes on. I was like, oh, and that's when I got my wheels turning. It's like, what is he up to here? And he goes, okay, okay, now just take see those shorts, just take them down to your ankles.
Speaker 3: It's just the language of it all.
Speaker 4: It's it's so fascinating anyway. And then he's just he's just spraying it with antiseptic for about a minute.
Speaker 3: Like just with a big, a big home spray.
Speaker 4: Wow, So you drenched in antiseptic by the time that it starts.
Speaker 3: And then and.
Speaker 4: Then I look, there's just this background tension in your body because you're waiting for, you know, the slaughter to begin. And so I just start said, mate, I was just thinking, as he's going starting the process, how did you get into this? Like he just just fell into us, and you can't just fall into something.
Speaker 3: Like this, you know what I mean, so fascinating.
Speaker 4: Like just a heterosexual guy just doing for sectomies all day long like that, that to.
Speaker 3: Me blows my mind. He goes, yeah, I just had a bit of a knack for it.
Speaker 4: And so apparently you to be thousands of people doing viseectomes, you know, maybe maybe two a month, and now there are twelve vseectimists that do thousands, Like there's like two and a half the sectimists that do eighty percent of the vasectoms in Queensland.
Speaker 1: I want the guy that does all of them. I want the busiest guy. I want the most skilled, the most experienced, the most relaxed. I don't want the dude who's doing me to be a little bit uptight while he's fucking cutting into my nuts.
Speaker 4: He's been doing them for fifteen years. I was like, I'm feeling real good at the moment.
Speaker 2: Normally, did you feel did you feel compelled? Sorry, did you feel compelled to talk?
Speaker 1: Like would you have felt if you just lay there and didn't talk to him, would you have felt weirder?
Speaker 4: No? No, he was very comfortable, So that definitely made it more comfortable, and I know that.
Speaker 3: You've always got the choice to talk or not.
Speaker 4: I'm probably just I was just so curious. I'm just so curious as to why he would decide to do this. And I found halfway through that conversation I relaxed. So the talking for me probably helped. Yeah, yeah, rather than just trying to feel everything like it was a good distraction.
Speaker 1: Isn't it amazing when you're around somebody who has a very high level of skill or competence or mastery at something that you've never done, and then you try, like they make it look so easy. And I'm not talking about trying and aseexting me on someone, but you know, we're like, oh god, this person, this is so easy for them. And so that's that, you know, whatever, ten thousand hours. I'm sure it's more or less depending on the skill and the individual and all of that, but there is definitely a level of you know, like, I guess this is a dumb analogy, but for me, I started riding motorbikes when I was five and I still ride most days of my life, right, so it's whatever that is fifty five years of riding motorbikes.
Speaker 2: So For me, it's just.
Speaker 1: Like, I'm obviously subconsciously aware of what I'm doing, but riding a motorbike is to me way easier than driving a car.
Speaker 2: And I can drive cars okay as well.
Speaker 1: But when I'm teaching someone to ride a motorbike, which I've done probably fifty times, where I'm like, oh, okay, yeah, well, I guess when you've got to clutch here in a front bake a break over here, and a rear break over here, and a gear change here, and you've got the indicators down here, and like none of that shit you can look at like you can't look away from the road, and it's not like in a car where it's kind of almost in your line of sight. A lot of it obviously not the pedals, But I realize how difficult it is to ride a motorbike. I'm not talking about a scooter, but a motorbike with gears and clutch and you know, people don't even realize most people they have or non motorcyclists don't realize they have two different brakes, right, one for the front wheel for the back and yeah, and then you I teach someone, I'm like, oh, yeah, this is not easy this is actually really complicated, but I've done it ten million times. Yeah, you know, I guess it's a version of that.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, it's the and it's probably I.
Speaker 4: Have the same type of experience now and I'm explaining precision health for the first time. You have to go back to the first time you presented it, when all of the brand new information was brand new to you as well, and you were really excited just about sharing the really really basic stuff. And that's definitely a lesson that I've learned too, is there's so much that needs to be stepped out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think.
Speaker 1: That for somebody like you or me, who's you know, among other things, educators, where you're helping people, you're trying to help people to help themselves. So you want to make the information as user friendly but also accurate, yes, as possible. And if I just start banging on about like I get asked probably three times a week, what is your PhD about? And how I answer that question can determine whether or not there's total engagement and curiosity and revelation and awareness or just complete fucking bamboozlement. You know, it's like, okay, all right, well give me one minute and I'll give you the very user friendly it's still this is what it is, but let me explain it in a way where not only you'll get it. And it's not because people are dumb that they can't get it, of course, it's just a different language. Like you know, akademia is just a different language.
Speaker 4: It's like, yeah, you know the idea of when you get into research, you realize how long it's going to take to understand the entire body of literature, because you know, the PhD I did was a Mega three in exercise in women completing breast cancer specifically on lean body mass and seer reactive protein.
Speaker 3: So any other outcome you need a brand new study.
Speaker 4: It's just it's yeah, so yes, and then the specificity of it all, it's crazy. It's all changing that we're going away from randomized control trials. The new evolution will only be personalized algorithms. That's where it's going to be, no more RCTs in time.
Speaker 2: That's well.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: The other thing too is I don't want to get on anything near a high horse. But you know, when people go to me, I've done my research. Like I used to say that, I go I've done my research, and I'm like, no, I haven't.
Speaker 2: I've watched four fucking videos on YouTube.
Speaker 1: You know where you think, Oh, obviously I did some research with my first degree in all of that, and I'm not trying to be sound like a bloody academic whatever, but yeah, it's like, oh yeah, it's And then even you realize that what a lot of people are saying, who do have allegedly some level of credibility and qualification, you still can't take that as gospel either. You've still got to go away and go because these guys have both got PhDs and they're saying quite different shit about the same subject matter.
Speaker 2: And then you go, I wonder if either of them are selling anything.
Speaker 1: Oh, they both are. See what are they selling? Oh they have a program? Oh I wonder if that research that they were telling me about kind of lines up with what they's you know, And so you just got to be I think you've got to pay attention.
Speaker 2: But you've got to be wise, You've got to be discerning.
Speaker 1: You've got to hopefully learn how to definitely not become a you know, a guru in reading academic literature, but at the least try and understand a little bit of what you're opening the door on, so that you know when people are bullshitting you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well yeah, just and knowing what you don't know as well.
Speaker 4: That's probably the you know, when I came out of dietetics, and I saw this in a lot of my medical friends as well. I went through through living on campus with a bunch of med students as I was studying xphiz and you would come up to it, like one of these graduated doctors now, and I'd be coming from dietetic land and I'd say, oh, yeah, this seems to work for that. Oh, there's no evidence for that that they've done a day of nutrition in their life, but because it's this is where and I was like that as well as a dietitian, I know, you just got to eat five vegs to fruit. Everyone's got to have this many grains and that solves all of our problems.
Speaker 3: And it's like, well, what.
Speaker 4: About this person over here that did this diet and got the most amazing results ever, was like, dah.
Speaker 3: Not real.
Speaker 4: You know, you just get you get trained to discard the individual, which was yeah, and that the granularity of all of that is just it's almost impossible to fathom and that that's why that's why AI is say, bloody good, that's why it's.
Speaker 3: Going to be brilliant.
Speaker 1: I mean also, like in the same conversation, the amount of people who have come to me over the years who have gone on my doctor said I shouldn't squat or deadlift, and I'm like, Okay, the people again, this is people with no injuries. I'm going why because I'm going to get injured. I'm like, well, you're going to get injured if you fucking don't you know you're going to get or there's a there's more of a chance, like if we squat intelligently with good technique and with very light weights, and the same with deadlifting, or the same with any you know, it could be a range of compound movements or even isolation movements, but we do it the right way with the right kind of intensity and sets and reps and volume and workload. But bah, bah bah, you're actually just going to build a functional, strong, healthy body, not to mention you know, your skeleton and the cognitive benefits and all of that stuff. And you know, and we love, we love doctors, and we need doctors, and doctors are great, but doctors do zero days of exercise programming in their course, Like exercise prescription is not part of what they study, and so it's funny that they would prescribe x other than saying listen, exercise is good. But then to be then to specifically tell people what they should or shouldn't do in terms of individual movements in the gym.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's curious.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, it's.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 4: And because they have the authority right now, and there's a lot of good reason for them to have authority, particularly on emergency medicine and all of those types of things.
Speaker 3: It's from medication perspective, it's.
Speaker 4: People get limited, and then you have cowboys that make a very compelling argument for something crazy, and then you've got the people in the middle that are riding the conservative fence. And it's really really hard to be a loud, rational voice in the conversation around health.
Speaker 3: It's a game of absolutes. It's either this absolutely works or it absolutely doesn't.
Speaker 4: And only even in a long form you know, podcasting and things like that where you can actually really get into it, people still just take away the simple details and the reels that come out of them are quite absolute. In the recommendations that are provided, so it's it's yeah, it's very, very difficult to know that you're actually working with the right information.
Speaker 1: And it's kind of like when somebody like Craig Harper says on a podcast, doctors aren't really trying to prescribe exercise specifically, and then people go, oh, what do you have against doctors? I'm like, did you fucking listen to what I said? I love doctors, don't most things don't talk to me. I'm a dickhead. If it's a medical condition, if it's any you know, but if it's actually how to write an exercise program for an individual based on their current kind of needs and goals and physiology, I'm actually trained, very well trained for that. They're not, which is not to say they're not brilliant and important.
Speaker 2: You know, they're great.
Speaker 1: But just like I wouldn't want him or her to build my barbecue out of bricks because they're not fucking trained for that, you know. I want the brick layer with the skills to come to my joint to build the barbecue, not the surta gin.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: Speaking of exercise, I'll go and you're going to tell me something.
Speaker 3: Just one last comment.
Speaker 4: Similarly, the doctors are under quite a bit of pressure to know it all because the patient's expected, and that's that's one of the other factors that they come in fex Me, let's go, I've got ten minutes to sort my life out, and you're going to fix me. So that's an additional pressure that's been placing into what were you going to say?
Speaker 2: One percent?
Speaker 1: And I mean, like honestly, and I'm not being I'm not saying that smooth. And I think doctors are great. I mean I've got a doctor who's my doctor. I love my doctor who's a little bit like did you ever see that show House?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that TV? Do you know?
Speaker 1: He was like a like a medical sleuth, like a medical detective.
Speaker 2: My dude's really good. He'll just sit there and he gives you long appointments.
Speaker 1: You pay for them, but and he will just work through everything methodically and ask you brilliant questions.
Speaker 2: There's no urgency.
Speaker 1: And then like I went in there, I've got this thing where I don't know what you think. You might have an opinion. You're a doctor, different kind, but you're a doctor. So I have this thing where my ear is one or the other and sometimes both block. I think it's you station tube dysfunction. That's my self diagnosis, right anyway, So I went into him and I said, look, this is and it's not painful and it's not life threatening. It's just a fucking annoyance, especially when I'm on stage talking, when it's like I'm talking a room full of people and I've got a bucket on my head and i can hear my own voice coming back. It's not coming back, but it seems like it's coming back in my own head. And it's so it makes it very hard to be really good at what you do because it's like a massive in the moment distraction.
Speaker 2: And so he just sat there and just.
Speaker 1: Walked me through all this stuff, of these potentials, and then we finished and he goes, all right, so here's our plan. It's a five step plan starting from now. This is what we're doing.
Speaker 4: And he just.
Speaker 1: Mapped out this whole. I'm like, you're good, Yeah, you're good, like and he went, we're going to start with this. If that doesn't work, then we're going to do this. If that doesn't work, you're going to go get this done. If that doesn't work, you know, there was this whole contingency and it made total sense, and I went, Fuck, I'm glad. I'd rather pay two hundred bucks for you than one hundred bucks or for somebody else who you know, Like, it's just you get the right person, whether or not they're a dietitian or an exercise physiologist or a medical doctor or a you know whatever whoever sectimist, Like there's within reason, you know, there's no price that's too high if they're great at what they do.
Speaker 2: Speaking of exercise, you were telling me that.
Speaker 1: You've you've been doing a deep dive for the last seven weeks and you're kind of in getting in really, I mean you're always in good shape, but you feel like you've maken a bit of ground and a bit of a breakthrough over the last while.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, i'd have you because the last two or three years, my body has been a bit odd.
Speaker 3: It's just been not responding the way that it used to.
Speaker 4: And I know that we did an episode on the retreat and the release of all of the things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, following that, I've.
Speaker 4: Had about six centimeters come off my waist. There's obviously some sort of background stress that was released at that time, and it is fascinating and I've just but I started at the same time I started at the gym. Normally, I would never pay for a gym just because I'm a tight ass and.
Speaker 3: This, but this guy is running.
Speaker 4: It's fifty five dollars a week, which I think is absolute extortion for a gym membership. However, it's turned out to be the greatest of investments I could have ever made.
Speaker 3: It's it's just small group.
Speaker 4: There's no anywhere between six to twelve, six to ten people on it in an hour block.
Speaker 3: He has a five thirty, six thirty nine.
Speaker 4: O'clock class, and the six thirty class just fits my schedule perfectly, like nothing really seems to interrupt it. Forty five minutes and I'm going five days a week and he's got a couple of upper body, a lower body, a mobility and then an all body session. I am in Heaven's two hundre meters down the road, so I just go.
Speaker 3: I do the workout it and.
Speaker 4: Even still because when I met him, I said, mate, my body it needs higher rep range.
Speaker 3: It's better in a lactic acid space.
Speaker 4: And we've just been doing a bunch of heavy eccentric work to start with, which is not ideal for my body first thing in the morning. But I'm just getting on with it and doing the thing. But it has been so good to be consistent. And I will say that this guy I haven't met, he's twenty six. He is a standout human, stand out him. He's just a great dude. He's got it seems like no ego, but a really healthy sense of self. I look at him, go, She's like, I can take some lessons from you, mate, Like just the he won some Brazilian jiu jitsu competition for Queensland, like a couple of weekends ago.
Speaker 3: So man, how is your weekend? He goes, Yeah, good man.
Speaker 4: I competed, came first, and I was just I was just observing, like what energy is coming along with him, just announcing that he's comforst There was nothing there.
Speaker 3: Was just this is just the way that it is.
Speaker 4: And it just so happens that I did this, And I'm actually pretty happy that.
Speaker 3: I came first.
Speaker 4: And I was like, mate, if I had.
Speaker 3: I'm virtually not even there now, I'd be gloating a little.
Speaker 4: Bit for sure, that I've been blown away by this dude and his physical intelligence, like the way that he understands his body moves, his body demonstrates movement. Ah, it's it's profound, and he's done just a really good job at setting up the program.
Speaker 3: It's designed and the class is full of forty to fifty year olds.
Speaker 4: It is designed for those bodies where every scap retraction is overemphasized, every activation is really it becomes the difficulty in the movement is to really use those stabilizers correctly. And that it's just been because normally I just try and flog myself by how many push ups can I do? How many pools can I do? It's been so good for intelligent movement. It's exactly what my body's needed. And it's like it's just changed in the last six or seven weeks.
Speaker 1: It's been brilliant, but also one that's amazing well done and great to see that or great to hear that you love it and that you're getting results. But also, apart from the actual programming and the movement that you're doing, how great is it to be an environment with another human that you really like, Like the energy is different.
Speaker 2: You could be doing the exact same thing. Shit environment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's dark and dank, and it's not I don't know, you know, you just like I fucking hate going to that gym. It's like there's a cafe the cafe go to every morning. I walk past literally eight or nine cafes to get to this cafe because I just love the energy in that cafe, you know, I like being in that place.
Speaker 2: There's something energetic that works for me.
Speaker 1: It doesn't surprise me about the jiu jitsu thing, though, because I've got a bunch of friends who do jiu jitsu and I'm mentor a young guy who's has his own jiu jitsu academy. Is a second dan black belt, which there are not many takes typically ten years if you train consistently to get a black belt in jiu jitsu. It's considered the hardest belt to get in any martial art as far as I know.
Speaker 2: It might be some weird.
Speaker 1: Like mystical martial art somewhere, but in terms of all the general martial arts, and he's the same. He's just like this big, goofy gent giant. He's a school teacher, he's married, he's got two kids, and he could kill everybody in the gym. But it just he is like Humphrey be Bear. He's like six', four gentle, giant you, know and but very like a lot of those dudes. Are it's very much about respect and honor and self awareness and self control and. Humility and when they start from a white belt and they just they just grind and they spend years on the. Mat there's not many that the fat heads don't get.
Speaker 2: Through they kind of get.
Speaker 1: Culled if you've got a, big fat, ego you're going to get strangled by, someone and you're going to learn your lessons.
Speaker 4: And strangled by people that are much smaller and seemingly much, weaker but they just know.
Speaker 3: Exactly where to do things and how to do.
Speaker 2: It.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, yeah it's, Yes.
Speaker 4: Yeah it's always been a wants me to investigate that part of my, life But i'm just too much of a computer.
Speaker 3: Soldier it just hasn't warranted a physical prowess.
Speaker 1: Yet tell me About so you've lost six centimeters around your waist and you said that off the back of this kind of moment that you had on this retreat where if you missed, it everybody have listened to our last, chat but like a big emotional release and you had this moment and this kind of you correct me IF i fuck it, up but kind of awakening or this. Moment what's the between that, moment that emotional, release or that moment in time and the six. Centimeters what's the physiology that's leading.
Speaker 3: That is it?
Speaker 1: Cortisol is it you're end the crime system in? General is it something? Else what's the why is one causing or correlating with the? Other?
Speaker 4: Yep so what was IF i had to put some physiology into. It by the way that my brain is set, up there was like a constant fear of failure going on in my, brain and so When i'd project, Forward i'd be really, motivated but Then i'd also fear.
Speaker 3: That it's going to.
Speaker 4: Fail and so there's this constant state of heightened neural. Activity and for, me that activates the sympathetic nervous system and the sympathetic nervous, system then it will.
Speaker 3: Do a couple of. Things, chronically it will release a bit of.
Speaker 4: Cortisol but what it does to the tissue is that it will prioritize storing fat around your, belly and it will break down muscle tissue to, fuel like to provide more fuel to liberate more fuel into the, body and it will also break down more fat tissue and have more fat circulating around your blood as.
Speaker 3: Well but if you're then not moving.
Speaker 4: Very, well WHICH i wasn't BECAUSE i just couldn't get my brain into a space WHERE i could do it, consistently that then relates to high cholesterol, levels higher truglys, strides WHICH i. Had high cholesterol levels weren't, crazy but they are definitely. Higher And i've always been pretty, healthy and my diet was on, point AND i did probably two months of perfect diet and my body just did not shift at. ALL i was sitting seven to eight kilos heavy THAN i ever. Had and, yeah and so As i've come out of, that there's now less neural activity that's being over, activated which Means i'm going into better.
Speaker 3: Recovery i'm not projecting with, anxiety.
Speaker 4: So there's less of that, breakdown and that's then obviously allowing the fat tissue to be. Used and THEN i also got my head into a space Where i'm now moving a lot. Better that's combining with whatever is being Released i'm. Using so And i'm putting a priority on my muscles Because i'm doing the type of strength training that.
Speaker 3: Allowed to do.
Speaker 4: That so the focus of my body has gone From i've just got to mentally get through this and keep dumping fuel on the fire and keep burning that, muscle whereas now, it's, hey we need that, muscle and there's actually not a bigger fire.
Speaker 3: Anymore so it's there's a conservation.
Speaker 4: Of, muscle and then there's a use of the fat tissue, instead and then you're not having the cortisole release as, well so it's able to target the stuff that's going.
Speaker 3: On and then Since i've checked my just checked my bloods last, week it's like my.
Speaker 4: Thyroil even THOUGH i didn't have a problem functionally, FUNCTIONALLY i had a problem with my. Thyroid actually it's gone back to exactly where it needs to. BE i cholesterol levels going back to. Normal there's just been a significant physiological. Change and a skeptic could just say you started exercising, more so that's what's made it.
Speaker 3: Happen but there has.
Speaker 4: Been just my, motivation my, willingness my mental, energy just the optimism THAT i, have the space That i'm.
Speaker 3: Holding it's just, very, very very.
Speaker 4: Different and that changed BEFORE i got really regular with the exercise as, Well so it's a combination of. Things but, yeah that's that's HOW i would explain what's going.
Speaker 3: On love.
Speaker 1: It you spoke in there, somewhere maybe towards the start about. Fear like fear can be, useful obviously serves a, purpose it can also be destructive and debilitating and. Crippling and you know this IS i don't know if this is in your, wheelhouse doesn't.
Speaker 2: Matter we're just having a.
Speaker 1: Chat tell me about, Fear tell me about your thinking around that when like for, Yourself Like i'm scared of, them you, know WHEN i talk to, blokes or not just, blokes but people in a room in. General BUT i like it WHEN i talk to blokes can go, well of Course i'm scared of shit BECAUSE i feel like it gives them permission to.
Speaker 2: Go oh Thank god for.
Speaker 1: That me, too because us, blokes we don't want to be you, know we're out for. Males we're not scared of, anything which is. Bullshit we're scared of every fucking second. Thing we just don't want you to know because we want you to think much better than we actually, are you. Know, Yeah so tell me about you and fear and how you within the three sixty kind of.
Speaker 2: Paradigm you talk about.
Speaker 3: That, Yep so well it's.
Speaker 4: START i guess there's going to be it's going to. Start there's going to be a, input an input of some sort of stimulus, something and it gets coded for. Something an example would be you're walking along a bush track and you see a long brown thing out of the corner of your.
Speaker 3: Eye because your peripherle vision isn't, perfect.
Speaker 4: You're, amgdala which is your it's like a big emotional. Responder it's going to just take the rough particles of that and it's going to apply a few meanings to. It and if you're an outdoorsman and you and, you you've got a terrarium with seventeen brown snakes and you're kissing them each, morning your response to that is going to, be, oh a new.
Speaker 3: Friend you, know it's going to be.
Speaker 4: Excitement but for most people it's going to be holy, crap that's a. Snake i've got to quicken my speed. Here and then actually it turns out to be a, stick but that doesn't. Matter but the idea is that you're taking rough data and you're creating a story out of, that and then this is where it gets really.
Speaker 3: Interesting is that.
Speaker 4: Some people will send that message to their, adrenals some people will send it to their, cortex which is the front part of their brain or the prefront of, cortex and other individuals will send it to their digestive. System and this is where it gets really interesting in.
Speaker 3: How we respond to.
Speaker 4: Stress so you'll have the more introverted, people so people like, me and we call them crusaders and, sensors and they develop with a more, powerful a more dominant prefrontal, cortex more dominant, cortex and they rely on their cortex a lot more to manage all the stuff that goes on in their. Life and so that's WHY i talk about me where it's LIKE i have a bigger sympathetic drive from. Outside so you've got some people that they send that amygdalic message of fear and it goes up to their brain where they start going something's. WRONG i have to comprehend it, mentally and that's where anxiety, occurs like fear of what's going to happen, next and there's like a whole cycling and that's when you can trigger off lots of different thought, Processes like WHEN i felt this fear before it meant That i'm not going to be included or. Whatever and so this one little bit of input from someone giving you a funny little, look or getting a particular mark on an assessment that you've handed, in or getting a bit of feedback from a, team that's just not so great that for me and a couple of other types of people that will stimulate the cortex and make them. Overthink and they are often the type of people that go through their life to, say, oh you just thinking about this too. Much you just got to get out of your, brain and they. Do but it's also the place that they house the most. Power so them thinking through it is actually really helpful because they articulate their feelings as.
Speaker 3: Thought and so if they for those.
Speaker 4: People framing it mentally framing it is really really important to, say, Oh i'm walking in the. Bush there's a chance there's a, snake and this is WHAT i do WHEN i see a. SNAKE i pause to make sure what it, is and THEN i make my follow the steps to avoiding a brown snake or whatever it might. Be and that's how they would process their. Fear whereas do you want to jump in, there jump me to keep?
Speaker 2: Going, no, no that's, good that's.
Speaker 4: Cool and then the second kind of, person just to keep it in three groups to make it nice and, simple they're going to stimulate their.
Speaker 3: Adrenals so they're going to be.
Speaker 4: The type of person that goes into hyper reactive, mode and that is you've stimulated.
Speaker 3: Me Now i'm, reacting and its action.
Speaker 4: Reaction it is adrenaline plus musculoskeletal, system so it's action without.
Speaker 3: Thinking it's amygdala. Adrenals and so this is.
Speaker 4: The type of person that's just more likely to jump on the snake or just, sprint or if they get bad, feedback they're more like to, say if you none of this is, TRUE i hate you.
Speaker 3: All, like just do something and not even think about.
Speaker 4: It or it's also the type of person that if you give them, challenge they, go, WHATEVER i can do it faster than, you and then they just do it because they're.
Speaker 3: Competitive so there's.
Speaker 4: A musculo skeletal response and it bypasses the. Cortex and then you have another person and this so that person they're called the activator and, connector and then we have the guardian and the, diplomat and there's a little bit of cross over, here but this is just for the purpose of this story right. Now this is where you'll get a in their stress. Response they have a dorsal vaguel. Response and from if you understand a little bit about the vagus, nerve there is healthy activation of the vagus, nerve which Is i'm, calm relaxed with friends and this is, wonderful And i'm digesting my food and this is a really lovely. Environment i'm feeling very open and LIKE i want to connect with. People that's a healthy vegas nerve. Response and then you have that's ventral. Vaguel and there's the dorsal vaguel, response which is essentially a stress response that shuts your body down into a. Freeze and so the way that they'll experience it is their digestive system will rear up like it will actually.
Speaker 3: Create irregularities in their digestive.
Speaker 4: System their face will actually, freeze so their voice will change as.
Speaker 3: Well this is all dorsal vaguel.
Speaker 4: Response so you'll have someone turn around their stiff as aboard and they'll, say, um there's a snake over, There like their.
Speaker 3: Voice has, changed face has. Changed, now what's so fascinating about?
Speaker 4: This and you'll know this from public speaking when diplomats, particularly and that they have this response because they're fighting between the first and the last, one which is their nervous system goes a million miles an hour and their digestive system like shuts, off so they're in this like paralysis. Analysis when you're public speaking in front of these, people their face is, lank almost, tense and you care, thinking, oh what AM i saying wrong to this?
Speaker 3: Person and they're one of the first people to come up with the.
Speaker 4: Affter the session to say, great session got so much out of, That and that's Because.
Speaker 2: I've had that happen so so many. Times this person fucking hates. Me, YES i loved.
Speaker 4: It. Yeah so when they're taking on new, information it actually creates a stress response for them because they're trying to fit it into the tree of knowledge that they have and they need time to process. It in while that's, happening they, freeze and so they get a physiological. Freeze their digestive is a little bit, off and their face actually Shows i'm not, Happy i'm not. Comfortable and normally what's fascinating about this as well is this was.
Speaker 3: A signal to our community that this person's in.
Speaker 4: Trouble but right, now if you see somebody like that and they've got a freezed face and they're in a team meeting because you're doing a, presentation you, think.
Speaker 3: What the hell is wrong With?
Speaker 4: Jane you, know you're not, thinking, Oh jane Was gane was in a free state and there was a state of alarm on her.
Speaker 3: Face so, yes that's a fascinating.
Speaker 4: Thing so some people when they get, stressed they'll go into adrenaline and they deal through, action and they process their adrenaline through. Movement another person they actually need to go away by themselves and they need to process it and reprioritize and think through it and get structure and get logic and get a frame of mind around, it whereas somebody else actually needs to, breathe you, know four seconds, in eight seconds. Out that then puts them into a healthy vaguel response that isn't a free spont. Response so THAT'S i, mean when we're talking about, fear obviously it's all of this inputs coming in in the same. Way what you determine is, fear well determine on the experiences that you've had in your life and various things like. That but how you process that fear is going to be quite. Different and this is why some people are they just so great in an. Emergency i'm not great in an. Emergency i'm. Okay BUT i sit with my activator friends and they are just dang bang, dang like as soon as the shit HiT's the, fan they are just they've already solved the. Problem it's the most amazing thing to see. Ever and they're so certain about their decisions because they're not thinking about, it Whereas i'm going into, okay there's seven different things that this could be going. On i've got to be working through what's the highest priority one blah blah, blah bah blah and so on seconds behind, them whereas somebody else they're just they become, passive they retreat completely into their into a freeze. Response so that's that's the that's the framework that we're normally working.
Speaker 1: With it's, funny so so many things out of that for me one AND i just think this is How i'm.
Speaker 2: BUILT i don't think it's any, UH i don't know Anything i've really.
Speaker 1: Developed but when my training partner had a cardiac, arrest do you remember this?
Speaker 3: Story did you know THAT i know of the story but it remind me.
Speaker 2: Ay so he dropped dead in the, gym literally right and we were.
Speaker 1: Training he did a set of, chins came, down fell on the, floor went on his hands and. KNEES i thought he was having some kind of, seizure which kind of was his heart was, ceasing cardiac. Arrest, Dead and so it took me a minute to figure out what was. Happening not a, minute probably ten seconds to go. On now he's Had i'd enough it was a heart attack or cardiac. Arrest but the bottom line was his heart had. Stopped, obviously people have heart attacks without their heart, stopping but his heart had, stopped and all this shit THAT i won't describe for the listeners was going. On and so AND i, mean it's not like it was, fun but within you, know ten, Seconds i'd turned him.
Speaker 2: Over he was on face. Down i'd turn him.
Speaker 1: OVER i got him into a position WHERE i could work on, him AND i was working on. Him but what was interesting for me WAS i didn't feel out of control at any. AGE i didn't feel you, KNOW i didn't feel, calm BUT i didn't FEEL.
Speaker 2: I don't know what the word is like extreme.
Speaker 1: STRESS i was just very very, focused and there was about another twenty people in the gym and nobody would come and. Help, yeah everybody else was freaked the fuck. Out and by the, WAY i don't think this is any kind of accolade for, me BECAUSE i think it's just HOW i am And i'm very grateful for. That but, yeah AND i guess one of the other THINGS i wanted to.
Speaker 2: Ask or as SOMETHING i wanted to ask around this is.
Speaker 1: You, know it's, like we do have the way that we naturally respond to different, things or our body or our brain or our mind or, whatever our kind of automatic response to whatever the.
Speaker 2: Stimulus is or stimuli.
Speaker 1: Are but it's in our interest sometimes to be able to change that because we Need we. Can't IF i keep responding this, WAY i can't do. Life and my one last boring story is WHEN i. MOVED i moved To Western australia WHEN i was nineteen years, old Which i'm pretty sure you don't know this, story AND i worked on what's called an aluminium, refinery was the aluminium refinery for a, year, yeah as a trades, assistant and then an unlicensed rigor which is working on. Heights AND i wasn't terrified of, heights BUT i didn't love. THEM i was probably average and then. Over and so WHEN i the first, day like my godfather was a he was in, management there was three thousand men on this. Site it was fucking it was as big as a. Town it was just dirt.
Speaker 2: And trucks and generators and fucking wild wild. Men no. Women it was just the Wild. West and my godfather, said when your supervisor asks you if you're afraid of, heights say. No and when they ask you where you're, from do not Say. VICTORIA i went. Cool that was his two bits of, advice. Right they fucking Hated, Victorians and SO i SAID i was From, tazzy WHICH i lived In tazzy for a long time as a. Kid SO i got away with. That and but, yeah the first DAY i had to climb up the side of a Great WHEN i say great, BIG i mean fourteen stories high tank which was built to contain gas which hadn't been operationalized.
Speaker 1: Yet but it didn't have you know how they have ladders welded to the tank or that whatever the welded and the cage around it didn't have that.
Speaker 3: Yet, yeah it.
Speaker 1: Had the, well it Had, sorry it had the, ladder but it didn't have the safety shit around. It and he, goes your, team so you work as a team of, three a welder and a welder and a boiler maker and a trades. Assistant i'm the trades. Assistant he, goes you're working with these two guys up the. Top rob And benny go up in introduce yourself AND i go go up and he, goes, YEAH i go how how DO i get?
Speaker 2: Up and he's, like what do you. Mean it's, like, well there's a.
Speaker 1: Ladder so it's one hundred and forty feet, high, mate like fourteen stories and there's. Nothing if you, fall you, fall you just fu, yeah like you're just. Dead so we.
Speaker 2: Are the guys that make it safe for. Everyone SO i climb up fourteen, stories fourteen, stories carrying like a tool belt and all this, shit AND i get to the. Top my heart rate was fucking nine. THOUSAND i was the most Scared i've ever, like not even. Close i'd never been anywhere near that scared in my.
Speaker 3: Life oh my. God six months.
Speaker 1: LATER i was walking around on, rsj's which are steel, beams like they were, Footpaths Like i'd been completely whatever it is is my. Responses i've been. DESENSITIZED i, MEAN i was still very aware how dangerous it, was but the fear and all the accompanying physiological you, know events in my, body they'd all but.
Speaker 2: Disappeared. Wow then it's just, like, OH i, MEAN i don't know if everyone could like to we all have the capacity to, change because, REALLY i, mean it's about how you interpret whatever that.
Speaker 1: Is, like fear is an individual, response as is all of the physiology that goes with.
Speaker 4: It, Right, YES i would say that everyone's got a capacity to deamplify that stress response and to normalize themselves within. It but then there's a difference between that and some people enjoying the sensation of that risk as. Well so some people and the reason that they would enjoy, it, yeah is because and as we have sort of summized through our years of, interactions you're probably in between the activator connector piece and the. Andres you actually have more access to, steroids so you produce more, steroids and so when you get into a place that requires, steroids which is when you're at, risk you've got a capacity to hold them, on whereas somebody. Else we talk about the dipmat, again they are high pos steroidal and so are, sensus so they. Can't they would go into a significant exhaustion after that exposure to that level of. Stress they wouldn't recover as fast and they would have less tolerance for that state of. Petrification, essentially whereas somebody with the strongest deroidal structure and ability to create, it they've got, YE i can make, that AND i could make that, again AND i could make that, again so everybody could de amplify the.
Speaker 3: Response but then some people physiologically aren't.
Speaker 4: Built to be able to sustain the background risk that's going on as. Well and this is why you'll see people that, SAY i don't walk around on. BUILDINGS i work from home in a very dimly lit room which is nice and calm and, warm where there's zero, risk because my adrenals just can't tolerate more than twenty minutes of stress at the. Time so, yeah, yeah and, yeah that's fascinating, though just the impact of. EXPOSURE i was sweating while you were telling that.
Speaker 3: Story was all over.
Speaker 2: One other quick, one not as.
Speaker 1: Exciting BUT i did security FOR i don't know three and a half or four years WHEN i was younger WHEN i got back To. Melbourne so from like twenty to twenty, FOUR i worked in pubs and clubs AND i didn't drink, right SO i never really went to. PUBS i definitely never went to. Clubs BUT i was working in nightclubs and doing. Security AND i remember the first, well definitely the first few weeks just BEING i. Reckon LIKE i worked from like nine till, three like fantastic, hours like three nights a, week so and you've just your job is just to make sure people don't fuck up too much and to get rid of people who are fucking, up and to you, know.
Speaker 2: It's not a fun.
Speaker 1: Job and LIKE i was quite big and strong at that stage and young and dumb and full of you know what and all of that. Shit but for the first MONTH i reckon every night WHEN i was in, There my heart rate just just being there was probably a hundred just being in the.
Speaker 3: Room, yeah just a.
Speaker 1: Hundred, right and then anything, happens then you're up to one sixty one eighty and. Escalate BUT i remember at the, start like a week in thinking BECAUSE i lived with a, guy we shared a, house and he did. It he was a big he was a fucking, unit, Right so he wasn't really he wasn't really afraid of too. Much And i'm, Like i'm afraid this is this is this is fucking. Terrifying but, anyway and then fast forward six. Months you, know it wasn't my natural habitat by any, means but all.
Speaker 2: Of that stuff had.
Speaker 1: Gone you, KNOW i could be in the middle of altercations AND i was relatively calm and in control and drunk aggressive or high aggressive people or fuck wits or the stuff.
Speaker 2: That used to you.
Speaker 1: Know and, AGAIN i wouldn't recommend it to, anyone but for me who grew up like in the, country going to a private school WITH i, mean my childhood was so innocent and. Boring and Then i'm in the city And i'm in nightclubs and there's gangs and there's, this and there's. That i'm, like oh, fuck this is a different.
Speaker 2: World BUT i think you acclimate or you, know there are some things you probably don't want to acclimate or adapt.
Speaker 3: To but, YEAH i, remember that's exactly what.
Speaker 4: Happens THAT'S i think where the Natural this is where the nature versus nurture. Thing you're talking about nurturing like in you surround yourself with the environment and a if you can. Adapt but that's because it's also in your nature to be somewhat comfortable in slightly heightened, circumstances like even public. Speaking it's a slightly heightened. CIRCUMSTANCE i know everyone's into public, speaking.
Speaker 3: As we know whereas.
Speaker 4: What and this is the fascinating thing about it is THAT i would say it's a very important life lesson is that you don't have to want to or enjoy acclimating to all the things that everybody else, does because there would have been a bunch of people in your position that never acclimated and they would have dropped out after two, months and they wouldn't have because their body just wouldn't have enjoyed. It and their body, says, hey when you give a particular, nurture the nature will. Act and your nature was that of a. THING i can handle. THIS i can get to a point WHERE i can handle, it whether it be your own sort of search for growth or just your capacity. Anyway but some individuals physiologically don't adapt as. Fast their body, says this feels. Awful you hate, This go and do something else with your. Life and this is gets back to that conversation purpose that we. Had some bodies are not designed to be in a heightened, state particularly when there's a physicality that's associated with it as, well and it's really violating for them to be in that state for a long, time and their body will send them lots of signals to, say this.
Speaker 3: Is not your, purpose this is not your.
Speaker 4: Purpose and even if they were to go that extra six, months they might get, there but it still wouldn't be as natural as it is rather some other. People and this IS i think that's so important that you don't have to be afraid of, everything but you do not have to brush your fear in every little thing to feel like you, can you, know completely unlock your potential as.
Speaker 3: WELL i think that's very.
Speaker 4: Important but having a framework OF i can navigate myself through fear is absolutely essential for.
Speaker 3: Growth All, Right.
Speaker 1: I've got a fun question to finish. On So i've been listening to What i'm out and. ABOUT i tried not to listen to, academic bloody stuff or you. Know i'll listen to a podcast some like something my numbing or, funny or audio books And i've never.
Speaker 2: Listened to fiction in my.
Speaker 1: Life until about six months, ago Because i'm, LIKE i don't do fiction ONLY i only acquire. Knowledge i'm too smart to listen to. Fiction like, Now i'm a FUCKING i love. It So i've listened all these. Books i'm listening to this book at the moment Called The Terminal. List there was a, movie which the movie wasn't, great but the book's really well, Known The Terminal, list.
Speaker 2: And the main character in the, book his Name's James.
Speaker 1: Reese, anyway the book also is written by A navy, seal so the details. Fantastic but, anyway it's like in all of these operations and, stuff they talk about the preparation and execution and performing under pressure and like the the stuff that probably humans just shouldn't have to do or have to, see you, know war. Stuff but that's the world we live, in where this, is for better or, worse like it or, not it is part of the reality of.
Speaker 2: Life and so for.
Speaker 1: These elite you, know special ops kind of, operators they need to be the calm in the. Chaos they need to be able to do shit That i'd fall apart even thinking about. Doing they need to be able to do, it you, know inside. Out back to, front eyes closed and keep their heart rate at. Sixty so my question is, sensor, activator, crusader, guardian, diplomat connector in the pH D by the, WAY pH three, SIXTY i should say health. TYPE i just described go check them out if you haven't done so. Yet which one of those is going to make the best special? Operator who's going to make the Best Seal team six?
Speaker 4: Leader it's going to be a, crusaders diplomats or guardians are generally going to be the best, leaders and in that particular, environment there's no limitation to an activator or a connector doing it as. Well but their natural state is to be more impulsive and to want more, freedom and that can sometimes make them not want to be the top.
Speaker 3: Guy they want to.
Speaker 4: Be able to be the guy that follows just just runs and does. Things so there's a natural inclination for them to be to take more risk and sometimes that you need a more considered head for the leader as far as they're selecting. Them but there's a particular type of crusader it would need to be a number eighty five on the circle and then and the reason for that is because that type of crusader is physically much. Bigger So i'm a seventy five And i'm eighty kilos one hundred and seventy nine. CENTIMETERS a typical eighty five would be you, know ninety to one hundred kilos and six for. Three they've just got a much bigger upper, body much more resilient body for the demands that are.
Speaker 3: Required the other type is the diplomat as.
Speaker 4: Well the diplomat they've got that, strength they've got much stronger, legs they've naturally got a stronger.
Speaker 3: Body they would.
Speaker 4: Need a particular diplomat that they would need with a really good athletic. Background they need particular. Collagen diplomats generally have more flexible, collagen so you'd need a diplomat with tighter collagen without that coal, variant so that they don't get the soft tissue injuries because they're much like we see in sports. Athletes if you've got the particular collagen, genes you'll just you'll get softissue injuries from all of the volume that they. Do so it need to be a particular, diplomat and the reason why it'd select them is that they've got a fantastic order orderliness and structure and they're, considered and if you have a, combinat you'd need an activatory element to their mind because everyone's not just one. Type you would need a diplomat with athletic body like tight, collagen strong, collagen and an activator, mindset and that would essentially give them the ability to make decisions in the, moment because a diplomat normally would need more, time so you need that little. Variation and then for a, guardian you'd be looking at a guardian with a more crusadery. Secondary because the guardians are. Incredible they're very very, strong highly, protective and that's very very, good but you would need the strategic mission over people. Mentality AND i know that at the end of the day they drag everyone they can, out but ultimately the mission is more important than the man and that's something that the guardians naturally would struggle with because they would form a family bond with the people around them as.
Speaker 3: Well so they would be incredible for extrication.
Speaker 4: And making sure everyone gets, home but when it comes to mission or, people you would need a crusader element which outcomes over.
Speaker 3: People so that would be my. Diagnosis you would not have.
Speaker 4: A sensor in sas they actually stopped sensors.
Speaker 3: Going to war In World War.
Speaker 4: TWO i don't remember those photos where they were taking measurements of the thorax guys blowing their chest up as.
Speaker 3: Much as they.
Speaker 4: Could they knew, that they knew that a person with a smaller thorax sort of the mid, chest they knew that they had a much higher likelihood OF ptsd coming, home like eighty percent rate versus someone with a thicker, thorax much. Less and that's because the thinner thorax the sensor much more sensitive than, noise much more sensitive to like much less. Strong actually they've got smaller muscle, belly so carrying thirty kilos plus their, gun they would break a lot faster as. Well like they're just not built for, combat the. Sensors so, yeah fascinate, Anyway so that's where i'd. Go and even based off the special forces THAT i, know they seem to be like The in, fact the ones THAT i do know are crusaders within that range or diplomats within that, range or guard within that. Range but then there's a few activators and connectors THAT i know of as well that just get stuck.
Speaker 3: In so that's My, wow it is.
Speaker 2: There it.
Speaker 1: Is so you're thinking about becoming AN elead, operator covert, operative a government.
Speaker 2: Assassin you just got you your. Guidebook, hey how can people connect with? You find, you follow you all that? Stuff? Cam thank.
Speaker 4: You probably easiest way is to search doctor car McDonald Shay shae on the internets or doctor car McDonald on. LinkedIn please make a. Friend and if you're interested as a health professional to learn about the science or corporate well being or. Schools while it's doing a lot of this. Stuff all of the stuff we said about stress is actually relevant for students in, class which no one is, considering and even through the gym's all of that sort of. Stuff so if we've got information and applications for, everybody be.
Speaker 2: The app Butter, cup all, right, mate we appreciate.
Speaker 1: You we'll say goodbye off, are but look after that scrotum of yours and that that testical region and we'll chat.
Speaker 3: Again appreciate.
Speaker 2: It