Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome back to the Mathsphony podcast, and welcome to an episode full of many little random updates from within the married at First Sight world. And to kick things off, what the hell is happening with Beck who is very much still in Bali Because people are concerned, people are confused, and people now think there were some complications with her rib recontouring surgery, which is why she's suddenly gone silent, and I can tell you there wasn't because she never actually got the surgery done. And for anyone behind on this little story, here is the quickest recap to get you up to date before the actual update.
Speaker 2: And it all started with me.
Speaker 1: In Bali, as you all know where, I went to document Beck getting this rib contouring surgery, which she was so adamant on getting your body.
Speaker 3: Your choice, what you feel confident with, in what you feel comfortable with, fucking do it. So why are all these Karens coming at me?
Speaker 2: Me get my ribs done?
Speaker 1: But then two days after we recorded that, after like chatting a lot more and Beck thinking and seeing the stuff online, she then backed out of the big procedure on the actual day, so you didn't get the surgery done.
Speaker 4: I'm not ready yet. I don't know if I will be ready.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I'm going to go ahead and get it done. Like I said, I've got giving myself an extra week.
Speaker 1: I then came back to Australia that stayed in Balley to think about her decision, and then she decided, Nah, I'm actually going to do it.
Speaker 4: I have thought about this long and hard.
Speaker 3: I've thought about whether this procedure is something I want, and I've decided that I do. And so I will be going ahead with the procedure of rip controing.
Speaker 1: And not only did she post that video you just said a clip from saying I'm going to get it done, but she also ended that video saying this.
Speaker 3: It's Monday morning, and I'll be on socials immediately after letting you know how it's gone and you know my recovery after that.
Speaker 1: So but then Beck's surgery day came and when and there was no update and it was just silence on her socials and then days went past without a single update, and that's when people started to become concerned. And Beck then released a statement saying thank you to everyone who has reached out with messages of kindness, love and concern for me. Your support truly means more than you know. I want to reassure everyone that I am okay. I've chosen always to be transparent with you all, and that will never change. I assure you I will share an update soon. For this short period of time, I'm respectfully asking for a little privacy. Thank you all for your understanding, your patience, and for continuing to support me. So that post then confused even more people, including myself back in Australia when I read it along with everyone else, and it also confused the girls on the Outspoken podcast who had this to say.
Speaker 5: And I wouldn't be surprised if this was all a ploy for pr from Beck. I mean, she's been very good at maintaining attention off the back of maths, because now that she's had the surgery, she's actually disappeared offline despite saying that she was going to be transparent about what happened with the surgery. You're on this all expenses paid trip from the brand, and now suddenly you're silent for two days. I mean my first thought was has something gone wrong with the surgery?
Speaker 6: That's what she wants everyone to think. Because she wants everyone to go in and keep checking in on her page, keep engaging with her content.
Speaker 1: Then the outspoken girls even started speculating that I was part of some big, master planned strategy to keep the speculation and the suspense, which I can tell you is not true and I have been just as confused as everybody else.
Speaker 6: Not only is it good pr for Beck, it's also fantastic pr and engagement for Josh Fox's podcast because he now has an opportunity to eventually interview her again. It added an element of drama to his podcast at the end of the series that he needed, and then it also got the media writing about the fact that she'd.
Speaker 1: Now to get to the actual update. Beck and I have very briefly texted like over the last week. She's told me that she's all good. I know from like other people who were there on this trip that Beck didn't get the surgery after that last video. I haven't really pushed her on the why because she hasn't wanted to talk about that yet or what happened. Why she's delayed it again, I don't know, And like me, being back here in Australia hasn't really felt like my place to push her on that, but I did wake up to this voice message from Beck.
Speaker 2: Hey, Josh, I hope you're good.
Speaker 3: I just want to touch base and let you know that I am. I'm fine. I'm taking little social media break, you know. I want to let everyone know what's going on, and I will be not long now. And yeah, thanks for checking in, and thank you to everyone for the support. Speak to you all soon, guys.
Speaker 1: And along with that voice message, Beck did say that she has been enjoying like a bit of peace away from socials and commentary, and again she reassured me she's good, and she'll do a post or a statement or a video or something like in the next few days or this week, kind of saying what's happened or why she changed the mind again or why she delayed it, or whatever the story is, because I'm here commentating and I don't even know myself, which is funny because I was, I was part of this from the start, and then I was like, now I'm going home, and now yeah, I'm kind of just waiting along with you, and you know what, But what I will say is I get the people now, being like this all feels like it's for pr like, and if I wasn't oddly part of this story at the start and being there at this point in time now with like all of the silence and the mystery, I would one hundred percent beyond this podcast going Okay, this all does feel a bit sus now, but what I want to offer here is like some wider perspective on the whole thing, And like, at this point in time, right three months since married at first ended, Beck and most of the cast are in this like weird phase of their life and weird headspace of like navigating returning back to their real normal lives, but also realizing their real lives now come with people recognizing them basically every time they leave the house, and you know, their real life now has media outlets writing things about them most days, which often isn't true. And you know they've now got these big audiences often like hundreds of thousands of people at their fingertips on their phones, and those hundreds of thousands of people every day all have opinions about who they are, what they do, every decision they make, and you know people will listen to me saying that and they'll be like, but they're no one's they're not famous, which I mean is true because they are just regular people. But there are also now regular people. Millions of people think they know to an extent, and I'll have those opinions on and then you get someone like Beck, who I'm going to use as the little case study here.
Speaker 2: And I saw.
Speaker 1: How often she was getting stopped for selfies, like every time she left the result in Bali, and people would be like, oh my god, I love you, Beck, you iconic. Can we get a picture? And often, like the drunker people were. The later it was like, the more this happened, because people like lose their inhibitions a little bit. And what Beck maybe didn't see is that, like often she would walk away from those groups of people. And I always stand back and I just watch these things from Afar because I find it kind of fascinating. And often those groups of people, which is kind of sad to say, but they then kind of laugh once Beck walks away. And this isn't just about Beck. I've seen this for years with people from these shows. You know, people like, oh my god, I love you, and then the celebrity or the reality person walks away. Then they're like, oh my god, she thinks she's so famous, oh my god. And you know, these people often only want to take a picture to then post to their Instagram to like laugh at with their friends, and you know that's not ever. And some people genuinely come up work, coming up to Beck being like, oh my god, I thought you were this, I thought you were that, but you've actually seen this, And they had a lot of nice things to say.
Speaker 2: But not everyone is like that. So when I talk about like this headspace of.
Speaker 1: These people being and it's like they don't quite know what's real, what's not, how to proceed, what to do. And you know, remember Beck also lost her job because of this show, and she is now struggling to get a normal, regular job because she's too recognizable at this point in time. But then on the other side, she's now realized, well, I can make an income through my social media and that's kind of the only income I now have available. But then on her social media, half the people are following just to constantly say, you're not a celebrity, you're not an influencer. Go get a regular job. But she can't get a regular job. And then again with Beck, every day she goes online comments and articles, comments on pages, comments on her page being like, fix.
Speaker 2: Your whatever, go change this, you're this, you're ugly.
Speaker 1: Blub like just picking apart every part of her body, and then you know, Beck suddenly goes, well, okay, i am gonna change a part of my body because I've been offered this rip thing. And then she's like, I'm doing it. And that's why to me, at the start, she's so defiant, like go where you Karen's I'm gonna get my ribs done or whatever that quote was, and to me, that's like hitting back at everyone like I'm seeing what you're saying on fuck you, I'm gonna do it.
Speaker 2: But then suddenly the response.
Speaker 1: To that is everyone now saying, oh my god, you too insecure, Oh my god, how dare you promote this to young people? Oh my god, you're a terrible example. You're the worst role model, and like that must be such a head fuck for anybody to navigate. And each season, every cast member has this to an extent, but it's usually like the most controversial ones or the prolific ones who have it at this scale, and this year it's pretty much just Beck and Jea who warrant like such a big and strong reaction for people. But the difference between Beck and Ga now is Gia is, in my opinion, a lot more grounded with her life, Like she has her daughter full time, she has her boyfriend living with her, her mum I think lives with them.
Speaker 2: More is nearby.
Speaker 1: And Gia and her boyfriend they are flipping a property at the minute, which means like every day they're you know, doing the school and then they're working, they're in Bunnings, They're doing all these really really normal, regular people things. And I haven't really seen Gia at many events like Beck has been. You know, like Beck's more immersing herself in this new world of influencers and premiers and all that, which I mean, you know, she's being offered stuff, why wouldn't you, But to compare to Jia, her life just seems like super normal, which means it would be harder for her to get caught up in the headfuck of this post show period of being like famous but not really famous, but then being super known but not super liked, whereas yeah, Beck just doesn't have all those things kind of anchoring her and grounding her. And you know, then when you get podcasts like outspoken with their theories again.
Speaker 5: Like this, and I wouldn't be surprised if this was all a ploy for PR from Beck. I mean, she's been very good at maintaining attention off the back of maths.
Speaker 1: I get it because from the outside it one hundred percent now looks like some big PR master plan. But and I said this to the outspoken goes when I messages them on the weekend, And this isn't like shade at them, because they actually like them on their podcast and what they do. But people like Beck, and I said this politely, they are just not clever enough to have planned all of this like how it's rolled out to get maximum attention, because they've been in the industry for literal two minutes and they don't have teams with them, they don't have people guiding them and advising them, and they don't quite understand how it all works, like I do. You know, I've been working in this industry for over ten years, and you know, similar the outspoken girls, they've been working in this for years. And even Dom, who I spoke about in my last podcast when I said her accusing Beck of doing all this for PR felt inappropriate because Dom has been where Beck has dom has like been in that initial post show headfuck phase. And yeah, my last point now, because this is dragging gone, the boomeranging from one extreme to another like Beck has done on this journey with the surgery and in BALI is confusing to follow and comprehend, sure, because we take it at kind of surface level thinking these are decisions being made like we would make decisions in our lives. But you've got to remember, like her life at this point of time is just a constant extreme that most of us will never experience, and she's trying to navigate that in real time while you know, being defiant and hitting back but then taking a moment ago, is this really what I And she's doing this while millions of people are watching. It often feels like this part is just like a medi defending Beck, which is not true in the slightest says, you know, I've called her out on many things, especially behavior on the show. But the thing I find fascinating about Beck is once you kind of see beyond the drama and her doing dumb stuff, like there is this real person who is quite vulnerable and in my opinion, has insecurities and like commentating a show like this, she is like, this sounds weird to say, but this great case study of the psychological impact. And maybe that's why I have felt more protective towards Beck and wanting to try and guide her and help her in in BALI like, you know, I went there to document what was happening, but I did feel like I maybe stepped a little too far with me constantly being like, don't do it, don't do it, don't do it. And that's because again I felt like this weird responsibility because yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Moving on.
Speaker 1: In some more exciting news, now, Sammy has a new boyfriend. I know, Sammy's new Boyfriend's not me, for those still clinging onto that theory, no matter how many times Sam and I have said we're just friends. But over the weekend, some of you may have seen that Sam shared a little Instagram reel on Saturday, essentially backflipping his new man into a river while literally hard launching their new relationship.
Speaker 4: That just hard launched my boyfriend.
Speaker 1: Sam didn't share any more information on like how they met, how long they've been together, and all that cute stuff that people want to know, which I'm sure he will get around to doing like if only he had his own like podcasts where he could talk about things like that a little more in depth with Now. Okay, so I want to clear some things up here. There's been some confusion about my other podcast, which a lot of you noticed. I stopped merging into this feed like maybe five weeks ago now, and I haven't mentioned at all on this podcast since then. And you know what, when I first had that idea for that podcast, like to do something new away from Maths Funny, I didn't know where it was going to go or what it even would be, which is why, like I had different people auditioning to be the co host at the start, and it was more I work it out as I go kind of thing, because I was just passionate about podcasting again and Maths was coming to an end, and I was like, shit, I want to keep doing something at least weekly, and there's not going to be Maths stuff to talk about, so let me start something new and again figure it out. And fairly quickly on that little journey, I didn't just find my perfect podcast co host, but I also found a friend, and I realized if I kept merging the feeds of that pod into this pod and like cross promoting, it would get confusing because people would think it was like part of Maths Funny or connected to Maths Funny where And I don't know if.
Speaker 2: This sounds weird.
Speaker 1: I don't want it to be associated with this podcast in like any way because it literally has zero to do with reality television or the show or the drama of that world like that. We don't speak about that at all. It's nothing to do with that. And to me, the new part is something that's more wholesome. While yes it's still silly and dumb and funny, but it's also a place to be more vulnerable and where I can share like more personal things and stories and episodes that would just make zero sense merged into this Maths Funny feed any longer.
Speaker 2: And to give you more of an idea of the content of that, like.
Speaker 1: Last week, I did two episodes I've wanted to do for a long time, actually talking about the insecurities that I and I suppose a lot of us face with aging and why I've struggled to accept my age with where I am at this stage in my life and comparing myself to others. And I also opened up about an age gap relationship of my own, which I was actually very nervous to do, to be honest. And there's a bonus episode coming up with my mum I Think this Weekend, which I recorded while she was in Sydney recently, that is actually quite emotional. And in the episode, we went through a list of questions people say you should ask a parent if you're still lucky enough to have them around, because these are the things you will regret not asking one day when it's too late, And like, yeah, God, that episode that became quite emotional. If this was our last ever conversation, what would you want to say?
Speaker 2: I love you all the world.
Speaker 7: No, I'm so proud of you.
Speaker 2: That is, look at what you've achieved in life.
Speaker 1: Wow, I don't think you realize just how special you are now.
Speaker 2: I get emotional. Got these questions for more than that.
Speaker 1: So yeah, those who have been confused about that part and this part, the new podcast is still going strong.
Speaker 2: It's something we're proud of.
Speaker 1: It's something that's already helping a lot of young gay people which we're proud of. And it's nothing to do with reality television show drama or anything like that, which again, is why the feeds are not being merged. But that does mean if you want to listen, you will have to actively search occasionally Funny on whatever podcast app you use and subscribe to it within the app as like a whole new show. Moving on now though, Ree and Jeff and the big breakup of the year, what actually happened between them? Who knows? And well who cares? Because not only have we moved on, but Ree has too. And no, she didn't have a new boyfriend, which that sounds like, but Re did share a video the other day that I watched and afterwards I just went like, fuck, what a woman like? Just take a listen to this and I'm going to play the whole thing actually out in full, So this is three minutes.
Speaker 7: I'm going to take you through some things that I did not expect to be doing at this age. The first thing that comes to mind is considering a housemate. Rent with two people is expensive, let alone one, and I just paid four hundred dollars for the month of rent. Yeah, explaining your entire life to strangers on the internet.
Speaker 4: Guys are very smart and.
Speaker 7: Can pick up when things aren't right and we grieved or I grieved the relationship quite a long time before I came out on social media. When I think about quite a lot is not knowing when kids fits into the picture anymore, as everyone is pretty aware. I was talking about preparing my body for a baby.
Speaker 4: Ooh, and what have I done here?
Speaker 7: And now that the plan has changed, it is a bit daunting not knowing when I'm actually going to be having children.
Speaker 4: I have a history of endometriosis.
Speaker 7: I think it's one of those things that you're not really going to know until you start trying.
Speaker 4: I'm actually considering freezing my eggs, and I.
Speaker 7: Keep arming and hoering about it, and I think I'm going to decide over the.
Speaker 4: Next few months.
Speaker 7: Learning that peace can feel really unfamiliar at first, because when you make big decisions it feels so uncomfortable. You instantly start questioning if you have made the right choice, and doubt yourself over and over again, budding from scratch without actually starting from scratch. When something big happens in your life, it's very easy to dramatize things.
Speaker 4: I have to start again, like right back to the start. But you're not right back to the start.
Speaker 7: Because you have learnt so many new things of what you will accept in a relationship what you won't accept, And I think that you have better luck actually finding your person once you have learnt these new things about yourself, realizing the life that I pictured isn't the only one that's going to make me happy, because life throws so many curve balls at you, and it's never going to be exactly how you planned, and just because it's not going to plan doesn't.
Speaker 4: Mean that you won't be happy if that plan changes.
Speaker 7: I think I've just reminded myself that that's life, and there's going to be so many more times in life where things don't go to plan, and I'm going to have to deal with it, laughing at things that I never thought I would be laughing at a few weeks ago.
Speaker 4: The rent is a great example. When I looked at.
Speaker 7: How much the rent was on my own, I'm like, oh my gosh, how am I going to do this? But I've really tightened my belt and I'm trying to make things work for the time being. Another thing would be that every time something breaks or stops working, it's my responsibility to fix it, and that's stressful.
Speaker 4: Yeah, got to put my big girl pants.
Speaker 7: I'm sure more will come to mind, but at the moment, there are the things I've been noticing lately.
Speaker 1: The fact that Ree is already there, like in that headspace with these realizations is wild to me, but so good for her.
Speaker 2: And it took me years after my.
Speaker 1: Biggest break up, my marriage, to realize all of these things. And you know, it took me several dangerous spirals into depression and a long time sleeping with endless people to try and combat the loneliness I was drowning in and trying to use those strangers I was sleeping with for some kind of validation while pushing away my actual friends and family, and my weight spiraled and everything fell apart. And again, it took me years to get to this place that really seems to be at within a couple of months. So yeah, when I say what a woman, That's what I mean. And now to end this episode with a little drama, JEA a few people lately, and by a few, I mean literally three people have been asking like, what's to go with all the post show friend groups, Like Gia had a little squad and now they're not really ever seen together. And at a fashion event on Friday, Gia was asked on the microphone by the MC, who she is still friends with from her season, and she responded by saying, just Juliet, and I did have the.
Speaker 2: Audio, but I can't find it, so you have to take my word for that.
Speaker 1: And then after that, Jia did a post on Instagram with Juliet and she's saying like how much she loves her and she's grateful for her in her life, which to me is so funny because remember a month ago, this was Gia's response when asked about Juliet in a random video she was doing for a makeup brand.
Speaker 2: Are you friends with Juliet.
Speaker 7: That?
Speaker 1: What is the most ankins memory from maths. The main reason I'm mentioning this little bit of drama is because, as many of you have suspected lately Jia and her bestie Chris and no more despite them getting matching tattoos earlier this year, which you know most of us fought was a terrible idea at the time, and now we can say told you so. And what's even funnier is that Chris as already replaced Jia as his female bestie from the show with the Lovely Rachel and Lately as you've probably seen, like Chris and Rachel have been hanging out heaps and doing lots of content together, and yeah, what happened between Gia and Chris for him to essentially replace her like that?
Speaker 2: Who knows?
Speaker 1: And again, well, let's be honest, I personally don't even care at this point.
Speaker 2: The you why am I talking about this.
Speaker 1: One thing I will say on GEO though, to end this episode, is that she has proved all of us wrong because we all thought this new relationship with her new guy whose name I forgot. He was on that Stan reality show Love Circle, Love Square, Love Triangle, whatever it's called, whatever shape it was. He was on that and they got together and we all said, well, this is a publicity stunt, this is never gonna last, this is silly, which I mean was a fair assumption at the time, because they were introduced by a Daily Mail journalist and every date they went on came with like a paparazzi and a magazine deal. But now Gia and the guy they're still together. They're now living together, they're flipping houses together, and yeah, they're they're going strong. So so yeah, I guess that means, hey, there's the hope for all of us say