Speaker 1: From The Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Friday May two, twenty twenty six. Penny Wong says Australia's job will never be done pushing back on Chinese influence in the Pacific. The Foreign Minister says Australia's willing to boost security ties with the Solomon Islands. Now they've elected a new Prime minister who's skeptical about China. A beautiful story today about.
Speaker 2: Courage and love, a young boy with a powerful will to live, a mother's devotion, and the doctors and nurses in our public hospitals who make magic happen every single day.
Speaker 1: Stay with us today on The Australian, there's the most beautiful video of a twelve year old boy standing up from his wheelchair. His name's Oscar Tanna and joining me is our associate editor Helen Trinker, who's been following Oscar's story. Helen tell Us, who is Oscar Tanner.
Speaker 3: Well, Oscar Tanner is a twelve year old boy. He lives on the central coast of New South Wales. We came upon him because we're doing series on surgeons and surgery Oscar has cerebral palsy. He had a extreme curvature of the spine. So the spine specialists who were talking to did this operation on him, and we had tremendous access, so gave us permission. The family and the surgeons gave us permission to view the operation. And it's been a wonderful story, perfect, perfect thing and beauty.
Speaker 1: There are four wonderful characters in this story. Oscar Tanner, his mother Janet Tanner, and two surgeons, Angus Gray and Patrick Limb. Let's get to them each in turn. Starting with Oscar. He's twelve years old, as you said, but he only weighs about twenty five kilos. That is about half what a normal twelve year old would weigh. Tell me how Oscar came to have cerebral palsy, in what his life's journey has been like.
Speaker 3: Oscar's biological mother had a virus CMV virus, which is not uncommon and often it doesn't do any harm. But because she was pregnant, and because sometimes fetuses are affected, and so he was born and it was realized a little later that he had cerebral palsy. His disability, I suppose was made worse by the fact that he developed very severe epilepsy. So about fifteen months Oscar's biological mother riched out for help. She had another child, and she was pregnant with her third child, and so that's when Oscar's adoptive parents came into play. And that's Janet, who is just Janet Tanna, who's wonderful person really and as her wife, Ali died a couple of years ago, which is again a very sad part of this story. But Janet and Alie loved this little boy from the minute they fostered him. They had decided that they wouldn't have their own children, and they had fostered other little children before, but when Oscar came along, I think it was kind of love at first sight, and eventually they adopted him. He was eight. Sadly, two years after that, Ali died from colon cancer, so Janet was a single mother, but she is quite amazing.
Speaker 4: Just because his body doesn't work like ours, it doesn't mean his mind doesn't. So I made sure that as much as he can, he's part of everything that happens to him.
Speaker 3: This is a story that's quite common across Australia. There are many many wonderful people dealing and growing rearing children who have got quite severe needs. And Janet does have help. She has an NDIS package, so she has a care in the morning and in the evening, but a lot of the time she's on her own. And she's just wonderful. And when I asked her how, she said, well, you just do. She said it sucked when how when Ali died? Obviously understanding, yes, that's right, but she said, you just keep going, because you do. But she keeps going in an amazing way. She's got tremendous communication with Oscar sadly is nonverbal, and that's I think an effect that originally he did have some words, but the epilepsy really set him back again. So he has got very strong needs.
Speaker 1: She clearly believes that he is taking everything in and is feeling things very deeply. And they seem to have a wonderful connection.
Speaker 2: Don't they.
Speaker 3: It is an amazing connection. And look, I think she's right. I think he is all there. He blinks, that's really the only way. But also as well as that, I think he's got facial expression. She is so close to him, so she'll ask him questions that require a year so or no answer, and he'll blink. But much more than that, I think she can sense his needs. You know, he watches quite a lot of TV and a lot of old movies, you know, and things like that, and she can sort of sense when he's happy. I am unhappy. He's terribly happy about the oberration. I'm convinced of that myself too, having met them a few times, because he was in a lot of pain beforehand, because he had a very severe curvature of the spine. That curve has now been straight, and we're not completely straight, but it means that he can lie straight in bed, he can sit up straight in his wheelchair, and as you said at the beginning, Claire, he was able for the first time in a year with the help of his wheelchair, which is a seek to stand in a wheelchair, to stand up for a few minutes, and that would increase.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Oscartana standing out for his first time with his brand new legs and he's brand new back.
Speaker 3: And that sort of sense of freedom that little twelve year old boy gets from being upright, I think it is amazing.
Speaker 1: One of the surgeons he spoke to, he spoke very movingly about assessing children who have cerebral palsy for this kind of surgery, that for some of them it's the right thing to do and for others it's not. It's gone pretty smoothly.
Speaker 3: I mean he's skinny as it bled much as I missed Behinved.
Speaker 4: So it's been a pretty stand.
Speaker 1: A day grimed. Oscar is the perfect candidate. But it is a harrowing and long surgery. Can you tell us just in simple terms, what's happening in this surgery?
Speaker 3: So the surgeon wy referred to as Angus Gray, and he and Patrick Limb are co surgeons. They operate every Friday together and they do a lot of work together. But Angus was I suppose the lead person on this. So a lot of people with scoliosis, which is really a version of this which Oscar has. He has a twisted spine. Many children who don't have Oscar's difficulties have an operation that actually takes about eight hours. It's longer operation, and they fuse a lower spine and they put in boats to sort of straighten the spine. In Oscar's case, because he's quite frey on and he could not withstand an eight hour operation. This operation took about three and a half hours. And what it is is there is bots inserted in the pelvic area and then hooks at the upper spine and then effectively a series of rods are put down each side and it's joined up. And what that does is that sort of forces the spine to straighten. Effectively, it straightens. It's so immediately almost Angus could see when the operation we're still in the theater that the spine is swung into a better position. It's gone from one hundred and twenty eight degrees off center effectively to forty five degrees I've center. Now that is a good outcome. Angus Gray told me the other day that that's better than they expected. You know, a few years ago, as Patrick Mihm said to me, Oscar wouldn't have been able to have any relief in a way from the pain.
Speaker 5: We have said this, I'm sorry, but there's nothing else we can do for you. And they just progressively get worse. And so now we can do an operation where they lose a lot less blood. We can do a corrective operation and get good outcome.
Speaker 3: See, the curvature of oscar spine was worsening a couple of years ago he could stand up, not straight, but a lot straight. And when he stood up, but it got worse and worse. And what this operation attempts to do is to stop any worstening and to try to make it better. And that's succeeded in this case.
Speaker 1: Coming up the Village of extraordinary people inside the operating room. I loved reading about Angers describing why he'd become a final surgeon. You know, he had the normal path that doctors have, exploring what they want to do with their careers. And you know, you often hear surgeons say this too, that they want to do something practical, why this kind of surgery?
Speaker 3: For one of the great aims of this series we're trying to do is to try to really understand what motivates surgeons and what it's like, because most of us think, oh my god, how can you do it. Anger says that he decided to be an orthopedic surgeon and specialized eventually in spine because he he said, there are two tribes of people. There are the surgeons that are the non surgeons, and the surgeons liked working on practical stuff. They want outcomes. He said, it's great to be able to analyze a patient, decide whether or not surgery can help, decide what the plan is, and then do it. And then, as he said, it's a good day's work. Kids aren't miserable, they don't do self pity. They just want to get better now. He said. Sometimes that process can take weeks, months, years, it's not immediate, but it's what surgeons like to do. And he also, I think he likes the operating theater too. He said it was quite a flat hierarchy in the theater, and you can see that because they work as a team, the scrub nurse, the anthesist, the scout nurses, everybody else. Says, it's quite an equal feeling, and Angus and Patrick go out of their way to sort of acknowledge the role of the whole team, and it is really team weeks. So he loves that, and I think he loves being able to work with a team. And he said something beautifully said, we're all sort of on the same wavelength.
Speaker 4: We're very stable, we get on very very well. Everyone's on the same frequency.
Speaker 6: So it's a great thing to come to work and work with those people.
Speaker 3: Most of us that's what we want with our own jobs, you know, to be able to enjoy that.
Speaker 1: Just finally, one of the things that really moved me about your story was Janet the mother, describing bringing a priest into bless Oscar before the surgery. And you wrote in the story that Janet is not Catholic, but Oscar is that level of respect that she has for this nonverbal child who maybe in another society or in generations past, for most of human history, would have been regarded as someone who wasn't really worth bothering with. She has this amazing respect for him, doesn't she.
Speaker 3: I think that's a wonderful thing to recognize. Claire. Even the other day I was on the phone to her and I said, did Oscar enjoy standing up? And I said, oh, can I talk to you about it? She immediately calls out Joshcoa said, is it okay, Oscar? If I talked to Helen about the story, you know, like, that's incredible to me. She was getting his permission at every point she, I think, is amazing. It's a wonderful example of how it takes a village. You know, many parents of children with disabilities and with needs are overwhelmed by it especially, and families are very, very vulnerable and in this case, it's a remarkable story really because we now have, as I understand, a family, you know, a good functioning family of the biological parents, and Janet is a very functioning family unit as well, and she is the adoptive mother. She's got a great sense of commitment, the sort of commitment that parents have to their children. It's quite a moving story. And I think that combination of that and two surgeons who in their own way also were both thoughtful, reflective, interesting, and really committed to it. It's nice to mention too that it was in the public section of the children's hospital around Wig and Angus again when I asked him to find this case. Half of his work is private patients and half is public, and he went out of his way to do this in the public section because he really believes strongly in the public health system and says it's a wonderful thing that we need to kind of showcase and remember. And so I think overall it's been a very nice, affecting story to do.
Speaker 6: He has been the bravest little monkey. Oscar is already in so much less pain. He kicks up his legs I call them happy legs, ready to go out the door and see the world.
Speaker 1: It's an inspiring story and what an inspiring family.
Speaker 3: Thanks Helen, Thank you.
Speaker 1: Helen Trinker is an associate editor with The Australian. Her story about OSCAR and all the nation's best coverage of health and the medical system is live right now at the Australian dot com dot a u slash health