Speaker 1: From the Skyinging Center. This is Paul Murray Live.
Speaker 2: Good evening and welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: I'm Danikit di Giorgio felling in tonight for the great man himself, Paul Murray in the man Cave. It is wonderful to be here again. Here is what is coming up on the program. The justice system is broken when it comes to youth crime. I'll tell you about the latest bail fail. Let you leader, same old loopy Greens. Why the minor party has learned absolutely nothing from its election woes and the council in Victoria rewards vandals and tries to erase our history by removing a graffiti Captain Cook statue.
Speaker 2: For first tonight.
Speaker 3: We do talk about youth crime until we are blue in the face. But you know what, we're going to keep talking about it because we've got criminal kids laughing in our faces, committing crimes over and over and the judges just give them a slap on the wrist and send them on their merry way. And a week later, the same kids are back in court forget another offense, and it's deja vous.
Speaker 2: Over and over again. And take this latest bail failing.
Speaker 3: New South Wales a teenager hit with seventeen aggravated break and enter charges after an alleged six day crime spree across Sydney, has been released from custody. G Real Tig allegedly committed a string of shop break ins and midnight home invasions with a group of friends in late January, just two weeks after his eighteenth birthday. It's alleged the group's stole luxury cars from family homes and took them on a wild.
Speaker 2: Joy ride across the city. Yet here's the thing.
Speaker 3: Despite the seriousness of the allegations, the most grievous of which carry maximum penalties of twenty years behind bars, Teague was granted bail in court this week after revealing he had been jumped behind bars and stabbed seven times.
Speaker 2: Now, I'm sorry, but so what did the judge just feel sorry for him?
Speaker 3: I mean, let's not forget he's a legal adult now, he is eighteen years old.
Speaker 2: Yet we have a case where this.
Speaker 3: Young man allegedly commits seventeen aggravated break and enters over six days, and off he goes. And this is just another example of failures in the justice system which falls so short of community expectations and I've got to say the legal system is broken, and not just in New South Wales but across the country. There are judges and magistrates appointed by our politicians who think a soft approach is best and how has that worked out well? One fourteen year old in Melbourne was bailed for the fiftieth time last year fifty times in New South Wales, and eleven year old boy faced a children's court for the seventieth time in his life at just the age of eleven.
Speaker 2: In Melbourne's North.
Speaker 3: This week, three ride share drivers were left traumatized after fourteen's allegedly went on a carjacking rampage.
Speaker 4: Police watch from above. Three fifteen year old boys accused of violent carjackings dump a stolen car. They tried to run but were quickly cornered in a hillside court. It wasn't over a police had another teen and another stolen car to hunt down.
Speaker 3: The four fifteen year olds are accused of holding the ride share drivers at knife point and assaulting them, and one victim even had to be hospitalized for their injuries. The Victoria Police airwing had to be called in, so yet another expense on the taxpayers tab every eighteen minutes a car is stolen in Victoria, So really, this is just your average run of the.
Speaker 2: Mill crime night in that state.
Speaker 3: And guess what one of those accused teens was yesterday granted bail. Fifteen year old boy charged over a string of terrifying weekend carjackings linked to yet another five and who allegedly texted his co accused to delete messages while he was being interviewed by police, has been bailed on Saturday. The boy was charged with aggravated carjacking with a machete, destroying a mobile phone, handling stolen goods, driving without a license, and possessing cannabis.
Speaker 2: And here's the thing.
Speaker 3: In opposing bail, the prosecution said the boy had been linked to a further five carjackings since his arrest. They also alleged the youngster used his mother's phone during his police interview on the weekend and was in contact with his co accused where messages such as no comment and delete messages were allegedly exchanged, and yet Magistrate Julia O'Donnell still granted bail. The legal system is stuffed. Laws surrounding juvenile criminals mean we can't name the kids we don't know what the kids look like, and no wonder the cycle of crime continues. It's a big joke for these kids, and the joke is on us. And the question has to be asked, where on earth are the parents? Where are the parents when four fifteen year old boys allegedly are able to steal cars and hold three.
Speaker 2: People at knife point?
Speaker 3: Did it not occur to mum or dad or a guardian that these kids weren't home under adult supervision?
Speaker 2: I mean they're fifteen years old.
Speaker 3: For goodness sake, enough is enough and gee, the politicians are weak. The new South Wales Attorney General Michael Daily would not even be drawn on whether that decision involving the eighteen.
Speaker 2: Year old past the pub test. I mean, Michael, it's simple.
Speaker 3: It's really not that hard to think about because it doesn't pass the pub test. These kids are not innocent angels. They know exactly what they are doing. Lock them up and teach them a less.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: The Greens have a new leader, but it won't surprise you to know it is still the same activist radical Greens, just with a new face. This dangerous brand just continues for another year. Queensland Senator Larissa Waters was elected unopposed for the role and have a listen to her mission statement.
Speaker 5: We stand firm always on social justice and human rights, whether that's First Nations justice, whether that's a free Palestine, whether that's peace and human rights. Globally, we will always be there calling out atrocities. I'm calling today for a progressive Parliament and a politics with heart. That's what we desperately need. Let's meet people where they're at and let's actually work to deliver the services and the support that people need and that the planet needs. Now we want to see action on the climate crisis.
Speaker 2: It's terrific. It's really really terrific, isn't it.
Speaker 3: It really tells you everything you need to know about this party. And if that's the sentiment, it's clear that they have learnt nothing from Adam Bant losing his seat and the poor results for the party in the federal election and of course the recent elections in Queensland and the Act. As I said, it's the same Greens with a different face. Pro Palestine, anti Israel, anti Australia, dangerous to the prosperity of this country, fueled by climate alarmism and run by a bunch of socialists. Now, if you don't know much about the new leader, well this sums it up.
Speaker 5: The liberals and the colon gas industry are doing everything they can to slow down action on the climate crisis. They're freaking nuclear, which, as we all know, would simply prolong coal and gas, and they're pouring time and money into undermining the transition to renewables. Right now, hard working people are paying way too much for the basics, while one in three big corporations pays no tax at all. The major parties are tinkering around the edges of the problems that people face.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good to know. The future of the Greens is so secure. Now. Look, I will say this though.
Speaker 3: Larissa Waters is probably the better option out of Marine Ferruki and Sarah Hanson Young. But that's just the issue because Ferruki is staying on as deputy. Now, this is a woman who wants reparations for Pakistan, wears a kefire on the Senate floor, and has proudly boasted anti Israel sentiment.
Speaker 6: The coalition is morally bankrupt when it comes to Palestine, and Leba has shown itself to be heartless, gutless cowards.
Speaker 7: Today bring the people's protest into Parliament three Free Palestine. Albanesi government has been complicit in the genocide in Gaza and they have failed to take strong action against Israel's war.
Speaker 1: Crimes and does harmas need to be dismantled.
Speaker 6: Listen, there's a situation with Hamases.
Speaker 1: Surely you're able to say where you'd like to see them gone, and.
Speaker 6: It's not up to me to say who should be gone or not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and look, based on her comments today, it is a truer life that she was not elected.
Speaker 6: Later, migrant and multicultural communities have in the tens of thousands across Sydney, across Brisbane, across Melbourne backed our strong stand against the genocide in Gaza. To the right wing media, to the billionaires, to the big corperations and to the Albanesi government.
Speaker 2: This is our message.
Speaker 6: We are not going to take a step backwards on action on climate, on the environment, on housing and justice for Palestine.
Speaker 2: Again, it's terrific, isn't it.
Speaker 3: I mean, is she the member for Gaza, Who does she want to be in the Australian Senate because clearly more anti Israel's sentiment is to come. She does not represent the values of our country. She certainly does not represent us as Australians who are actually proud of this country. She represents herself her own activist causes Palestine and Pakistan. Yet apparently she wants to be taken seriously.
Speaker 6: Welcome to Positive Affirmations Election edition with me, Marie Faruki. Now let's relax. You are capable of achieving your goals. You radiate green positive energy. You are always growing and learning, especially when university and death is free.
Speaker 3: Oh don't know about you at home, but I'm really feeling that Marine Faruki positive energy, feeling those vibes, feeling zen all of a sudden, It's really uplifted.
Speaker 2: Me for the evening. A fact, I really hope that.
Speaker 3: You at home are really riping those vibes of the deputy leader of the Greens Party.
Speaker 2: Wonderful, wonderful and look, this is a woman.
Speaker 3: Who could have been leader of the party today. I mean this is the funniest part because there were reports the former Green Senator now independent Lydia Thorpe, had been using a Greens First Nation's faction to meddle in the minor parties leadership battle. The Australian Greens First Nations Network agitated for Senator Marine Ferruki to be elected through widespread emails and a formal endorsement.
Speaker 2: Last week. In fact one, senior Green Sauce Eve told The Australian Lydia Thorpe wants back in the Greens.
Speaker 3: There's no secret in that. I mean good grief, I mean she's denied it.
Speaker 2: Today. Lydia Thorpe says she's not going back to the Greens.
Speaker 3: But can you imagine the craziness of Thorpe re entering what is already clearly a very bizarre party. Now, Sarah Hanson Young had been considered as the only other genuine alternative for leader. But as in this Sarah Hanson Young, on the eve of the election, have you sold out your environment credentials?
Speaker 2: Throw it up and stinking in that attention? Salmon, salmon jay.
Speaker 3: It really was slim pickens over at the Greens, wasn't it, And looked despite losing three of their four Lower House seats, Labor will have to rely on them to get legislation through the Senate. But Adam Bant is gone and clearly it is the same old loopy Greens.
Speaker 2: What a cluster. Let's bring our Paneling.
Speaker 3: Now joining me is Liberal National MP Henry Pike and Liberal MP Andrew Wallace. Great to see you both. Thank you so much for joining me on the show this evening. Let's start with the Greens. Of course, Larissa Waters elected as Greens later, as I said, it's the same old, loopy, weird Greens, except with a new face.
Speaker 2: Andrew will start with you. What do you make of this appointment?
Speaker 1: Ah, look, what do you say? I mean?
Speaker 8: These guys just clearly they haven't learned their lesson. You vote for the Greens, you get someone like Lydia Thorpe. That's really the outcome of it all. And look on my own electorate, the Greens lost pretty significant primary vote. People have had enough of this extremist group of this political party.
Speaker 1: And clearly we've seen the result.
Speaker 8: They lost seventy five percent of their members in the House at the last election. Sadly we've still got one Green left in the House.
Speaker 1: But people are speaking.
Speaker 8: People have had enough of the militant approach that has been taken by the Greens. This is not the political party of Bob Brown of yesteryear. The Greens need to get back to their basics and if they want to have an environmental party. That's what they should be doing. Sticking to that. People have had enough, they've had a gutfall.
Speaker 1: I think of this.
Speaker 8: Is that they've been demonstrating over the recent years of Adam Bant when he was the leader.
Speaker 3: Well, look, I completely agree with you. I mean, long gone are the Bob Brown days. This is a very dangerous new brand of Greens is completely irrelevant to Australian culture, so far removed from our values.
Speaker 2: Here is a bit more of what Larissa Waters had to say at a press conference today.
Speaker 5: We've got a lot of work because people are really hurting and the planet is hurting, and we need a parliament that actually delivers for people and has the courage and the boldness and the heart to deliver some help to people. So I'm calling today for a progressive parliament and a politics with heart.
Speaker 2: Henry, what on earth is a progressive parliament? But what exactly does that entail?
Speaker 3: Where does that fit into the overall scheme of things in politics in this country.
Speaker 9: Well, I'm not sure what she's doing calling for a particular type of parliament. At this point in time. We've got the parliament the is trailed people have delivered to us, and thankfully for me and Andrew, there are three less Greens in the Lower House that we'll have to listen to on a daily basis. So you know, I think it's a pretty good outcome and I'm actually pleased that the Greens are doubling down on their unpopular policies which has seen their vote decimated across so many areas. And you know, certainly in my electric we saw a fall in the first preference for the Greens as well. Deliver up more of that, please, that's my message to the Greens. Deliver up more of the same and see your vote to decline.
Speaker 1: We would love to have that outcome, and.
Speaker 9: We'd love to be rid of these people who are living in clearly a different world with different priorities to mainstream Australia.
Speaker 3: Oh absolutely, it's so far removed, very loopy and quite frankly, very strange. Now, look, we've got a lot to talk about because there's been the Liberal leadership this week.
Speaker 2: You now have a new leader in the Liberal Party.
Speaker 3: But look, there have been many takes on Susan Lee's appointment as Liberal leader, with some actually saying that she's perhaps too far left have a listen.
Speaker 10: I just feel she's too far to the left. She's going to lose a lot of the members from the Liberal Party because they won't head down the path that conservative values of the Liberal Party what it was founded on. That's my opinion about Susan and I think there's too many moderates in the party. They will keep dragging them back to the left of politics.
Speaker 3: And look, many Liberals felt that the natural candidate would have been Andrew Hasty. I even personally think that Andrew Hasty would have been a wonderful leader. You can see him as a future prime Minister's shame he was hidden throughout the selection campaign, but of course he ruled himself out this week. But he hasn't been sheepish in his support for the new leader.
Speaker 10: She has my support, and I also I'm supporting Tedo Ryan and our deput leader.
Speaker 1: They've got a big job ahead and if we don't get our act.
Speaker 9: Together as a party, we're going to face an even more challenging election in three years time.
Speaker 3: Andrew, what do you make of, firstly, the criticism by the likes of Senator Pauline Hansen. How confident are you that Susan Lee will be there between now and the next election, or is she just a placeholder for somebody like Andrew hasty to come in and swoop in at the last minute.
Speaker 8: Well, Dneiker, I think that we have to really rally behind both Susan and Ted.
Speaker 1: They were elected as our leaders just a couple of days ago.
Speaker 8: It's really good to see Andrew say that he's behind them.
Speaker 1: I think we are all behind them.
Speaker 8: We just can't be in a situation where we have some people who are going to snipe from the sidelines. We've got to really get behind her, get behind Ted. I think Susan and Ted demonstrate our best.
Speaker 1: Opportunity to really rebuild the brand.
Speaker 8: I think one of the significant parts of Susan's capabilities will come about through bringing everyone together but really trying to work with her colleagues in policy development. I think that's going to be crucial because over the next particularly over the next eighteen months, we are really going to need to be creating that case, listening to the Australian people, but then developing good policies to meet people where they are.
Speaker 1: And I think that Susan will do that well. Because I think Susan.
Speaker 8: Will be a very collaborative leader and more to her arm and we've really got a lot behind her.
Speaker 3: So but Andrew, you know, I mean, look, there has been as a sense some criticism that the thing is is that there needs to.
Speaker 2: Be a DIFFERENTI and there needs to.
Speaker 3: Be yeah, but to be fair though, there needs to be some different policy that this is a problem. During the election campaign there wasn't a differentiation in policy. It's Susan le going to come forward and really make that stark difference. Do you think, I mean, particularly when it comes to say nuclear, when it comes to net zero, are we actually going to see policy moving forward that is going to put the party in a more electable winning position.
Speaker 1: Well, this is the thing.
Speaker 8: So this is why I think Susan has the opportunity here to be very successful, because I believe she will listen not just to her colleagues. I believe she'll listen to where people, you know, average Australians where they're at.
Speaker 1: And as I said, I think that she will be a collaborative leader.
Speaker 8: She'll be she's our first woman leader of the Liberal Party. It'll be a change in dynamics, no doubt about that. But look, I'm really excited about the next three years. I think that this is an opportunity for us to really dig down into policy development, and that's something that I think we have struggled with for a number of years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Henry, what's your view on this? Is this the right way forward now for the party? And what do you think that Susan Lee needs to take forward now to put that party the party in an electable winning position.
Speaker 9: Absolutely, I think anyone who underestimates Susan will do so at their peril. She will be formidable as our opposition leader, and I think she's going to really surprise a lot of people, including Senator Hanson. And in fact, I've had a lot of support already from people. I've been out in my community. I've been out of cancer counts and wanting tea yesterday, and a lot of women in my area very excited about the prospect of having a formidable woman leading our party. And also I'm excited about the approach that she's taking to the leadership and that the collaborative approach that she he wants to adopt in terms of developing those policies. We want to get back to basics. We want to have a policy platform at the next election that reflects Liberal values and I'm very confident that with Susan and Ted we're going to have that and I think the Australian people are going to be quite happy with what we have to offer.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I like that term back to basics and I think that's really what it's about and having that putting together a policy platform that will resonate with voters that's not complex, not difficult to understand.
Speaker 2: So I think that's good.
Speaker 3: I found it interesting today though, of course Liberal MPs are trying to scramble for a spot on Susan Lee's front bench. It's now been reported in the Daily Telegraph that Andrew Hasty and Angus Taylor may actually be considering a move to the back bench. Hasty to spend time in his electric in wa and Taylor if he's not asked to continue on as Shadow Treasurer.
Speaker 2: Andrew, I remember earlier this.
Speaker 3: Week you said here on Sky News that you know he's got to lick his wounds, perhaps for twenty four hours, but that you really do need Taylor to come back and more fighting, more than ever. To lose those two to the back bench I think would be absolutely diabolical for the party. How confident are you that they will get key roles and that they won't just want to just self retire themselves out of the spotlight.
Speaker 8: Look, I don't think that they'll want to go and sit on the bench. I think that these two gentlemen have got a lot to offer the party and the Australian people. We are we've been really decimated in this last election. We need to ensure that our best people are not only on the park, but are very actively on the park and playing very important roles on the park. That's the only way we're really going to get ahead is if we are working together as a team and we have our best people out there.
Speaker 1: And the reality is we just cannot.
Speaker 8: Afford to have two of our best performers sitting in the bleachers. They need to be out in the park working hard with the rest of us. And I think they've got extraordinary.
Speaker 1: Talent and we need them out there with us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Henry, what do you think I mean? It would?
Speaker 3: As I said, I think it would be remiss of Susan Lee not to give some of their best performers in the Liberal Party, people like Angus Taylor, Andrew Hasey An even Senator just into nampajimp price to not give these people key roles, put them front and center and get them to know the Australian public. Let the Australian public get a feel of them between now and the next election.
Speaker 2: I think it would be such a waste to have talent on the back bench. Were you surprised by these reports?
Speaker 9: Oh? What's a bit surprised by those reports? But I think Susan's been absolutely clear that she is very keen to have a cabinet that reflects the whole breadth of the Liberal Party, including those individuals, and I think that they've been clear today and clarifying their remarks to make it clear that they're available for selection. So I think that we're going to have a good, unified team moving forward with our best people putting their talents where we need it, and that is taking on the Labor Party. Of course, we're facing a significant challenge in this new parliament. They're going to have more than double the members we have. We've all got to work three times four times harder than we have in the past, and I think we're going to need every hand of the wheel on this one. And I'm certain we'll have a better result the next election with the united effort of our entire team.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh look, fingers crossed. Now, Look, I want to talk about the ongoing.
Speaker 3: Issues of such between the Liberals and the Nationals because Susan Lee and Nationals leader David little Proud held their first formal talks to set up a coalition agreement between the parties today, but greater representation for the Nationals and the coalition leadership team and the direction of climate policy remain unresolved.
Speaker 2: Andrews.
Speaker 3: This goes back to my earlier question because David Little Proud made it very very clear in his press conference this week that the Nationals will continue to support nuclear and he strongly put the case forward to drop net zero by twenty fifty to pull all Australia out of the ridiculous Powis agreement. I think it's a great move on his part. But how the issue is, is the Liberals really going to support particularly dropping out a net zero by twenty fifty and would you continue with your nuclear policy. I mean, this is where you could really be at odds with the Nationals here.
Speaker 8: Look, there's always a possibility for that, but I think that both parties will need to formulate their own positions in the first instance, and that will come about through this cathartic process that we're going through right now, and then hopefully we'll all be coming together as a coalition.
Speaker 1: I think that we know if the.
Speaker 8: Liberal Party decide to go their own way and the National Party decided.
Speaker 1: To go their way, you know we're never going to get anywhere.
Speaker 8: The only way we can we can serve the Australian people, The only way we can hold the Labor Party to account is in a coalition. The only way we can govern is if we are in a coalition. So there's going to need to be quite a lot of soul searching on both sides of the fence, there's no doubt about that. But ultimately these discussions will be had by the party room, the Joint party room as well, and you know, we will have to land a position on this and I'm not going to ventilate what that might be today. There's a lot of water to go under the bridge, both behind closed doors as that should be, and then you know, will come out with a unified You.
Speaker 2: Still support nuclear? Are you still for nuclear?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Look I do support nuclear. I think that.
Speaker 8: The country can't go down a route of eighty two percent renewables. We need dispatchable, need dispatchable, full time, reliable, affordable power, and we know that we can't get all of those things with putting all our eggs in one basket of renewables.
Speaker 1: Now, Ultimately, ultimately.
Speaker 8: Whether it's nuclear, whether it's an emphasis on gas, whether it's all of the above with renewables as well, those are things that we've got to discuss.
Speaker 1: But at the end of the day, you.
Speaker 8: Can't get around the iron clad rules of physics and science, and that is that we just cannot provide a part time you can't provide for a full time economy.
Speaker 3: Well we're going, but we're going broken backwards under this renewal pal Literally we cannot. We don't know how to keep the lights on during heat wave, during cold snaps.
Speaker 2: We've got absolutely no idea.
Speaker 3: You don't need to look to Spain and Portugal in recent weeks to give you an example of exactly where this is going. But in terms of the coalition agreement, Henry, you know that the Nationals, I've got to say, really propping up the Liberal Party right now because the Nationals aren't the ones that lost a tremendous amount of seats, So how critic is it that they really thrash this out and get back to being a team.
Speaker 9: The National Party are an absolutely critical part of our team. And you know, for for a coalitionist like myself, you know, we Andrew and I are both part of the merged party up here in Queensland. We we really respect the role the National Party plays both as sort of a conscience of the coalition but also to provide those regional and rural voices into the joint party room. So I you know, we totally understand and expect the National Party to be very vocal to drive a hard bargain in these negotiations, you know, when we respect the positions that they bring. But you know, obviously there's a lot of discussions is going to have to occur over the course the next couple of weeks, including you know how many cabinet positions each party is going to get in the shadow cabinet. These are all part of the course. I don't think anyone who's predicting a divorce of the you know, the long standing marriage between the Liberal and the National parties. I think are dreaming. You know, this is just part of the course. We've got some discussions to have given the results that we've had a couple of weeks ago, and I think, you know, it's healthy and good for us to have those discussions.
Speaker 2: Henry, I'll ask you the same thing. Do you still support nuclear.
Speaker 9: I think it would be a big mistake for the Coalition to abandon our nuclear policy. I think that we were brave enough and I think we made the right call in coming out in favor of having a nuclear industry here in Australia. I do think that there may be some tinkering to that policy.
Speaker 1: It may take a different.
Speaker 9: Form, the model may be shifted slightly, but I certainly would be in favor of maintaining that we've made the hard yarns and making the case for it. I don't think it was the major factor in our election defeat, and I think that if you're fast forward another ten or fifteen years, I think you'll find that both sides of the Parliament are supporting nuclear energy in Australia.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, if power.
Speaker 1: Can I just jump in there to on that point.
Speaker 8: You know, you asked me whether I support nuclear and I said I do, but we've also got to recognize that there's a lot of people in Australia who still are not confident about how nuclear operates, whether it can be done safely, etc. Yeah, we need to be able to sell that better. Yes, and you know this is not just a matter of rinse and repeat. I think we do need to listen very very carefully to what the people of Australia have told us over the last two weeks.
Speaker 3: No, I think that's a fair point. It has to be sold much better than it did. And well it disappeared really in the last few weeks of the campaign. I mean the only people person mentioning nuclear was Anthony Albin Easy in those last few weeks.
Speaker 2: It certainly wasn't the coalition.
Speaker 3: But look, it's an important discussion because, as we said, we're going broken backwards under renewables.
Speaker 2: Henry Pike Andrew.
Speaker 3: Wallace, good to chat with you both. Thank you so much for joining me on the show this evening. We'll stay with us coming up after the break from one wokee council to another. A Victorian council is refusing to replace a graffiti in Captain Cook statue and a Sydney Council blaming climate change for banning large events in parts. Try and make sense of that. We'll chat with Linda Scott and Kristin Abraham next.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the program. Joining me now to chat.
Speaker 3: More of today's top stories is former Labour councilor Linda Scott, who joins me here in the man Cave, and libertarian commentator Kristin Abraham.
Speaker 2: Hied to both of you. Thank you for joining me on the show.
Speaker 3: Now, look, I want to start with the New South Wales bail fail because I spoke about this earlier on in the show and just how our justice system is really failing us. We learned today that a teenager charge with seventeen aggravated break and ender charges has been released from custody because quote, he was jumped behind bars. Look, Linda, this putting this issue aside. Okay, this isn't just a New South Wales problem. This youth crime is a state is a country wide problem. Half of the battle is the justice system, because time and time again we just see repeat offenders. They go in and out of the courts, they're given a slap on the wrist, off they go and that cycle of crime continues over and over again, has the justice system let us down?
Speaker 6: Look?
Speaker 11: I think time after time in these terrible debates, and let's acknowledge here, you know, the communities are really suffering from the impacts of crime. Coalition governments or oppositions jump to bail laws when actually we should be talking about the whole spectrum of the justice system, including what it can contribute to prevention. When people go to jail so often in Australia, they come out sadly more at risk of offending than when they went to jail, and I think we've really got to look at the evidence for what we can do throughout the justice system to prevent these kinds of problems. Young people reoffending is a problem in many hearts of Australia, but looking at what can prevent that surely is the most cost effective, best thing we can do for our communities and state governments should be doing that, not just jumping on bail laws and other things to re imprison people when indeed that might not end up being the best solution for the community to keep them ste I mean, how.
Speaker 3: Many times can we go oh, well, yeah, okay, he's young, she's young.
Speaker 2: It doesn't madam.
Speaker 3: And you've got a kid who was eleven years old and was facing courts for the seventieth time at the age of eleven.
Speaker 2: How many times are you can you go, that's all right, you know, he's young.
Speaker 3: I just think, Kristen, lock him up, teach them a lesson and see what happens.
Speaker 2: What do you think? And also the other question is where are the parents in all of this?
Speaker 12: Yeah, Linda, we're past the point of prevention for some people and we need action now for what is going to happen next. We have a term like bail failed to describe our judicial system across Australia. How crazy is that. I've recently been talking to a children's court registrar and she was saying that the reason why these young people keep getting released on bail is because they lack the resources to keep them safe while in jail or while in Remand so what I say is that there is a simple solution to this. Make safer jails, make harder bails.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think. Look, I'm on the same page with you, Kristen on this. I think, how many more times can we just keep going, Oh, it's all right, It doesn't matter slap on. The recycle of crime continues. There has to be some sort of deterrent to stop these kids from reoffending. And look, none of us have the answers here, but you know, you sit and you read the same stories over and over again and you just end up shaking your head, and so something has to happen.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: Look, I want to talk about the Captain Cook memorial that was vandalized last year by cowards in Melbourne.
Speaker 2: It's not going to be replaced.
Speaker 3: After the obiously woke Yarra Council unanimously voted to remove it. Now, this has been in storage since January last year after those thugs toppled the granite plinth, damage the bronze bust of Cook and scrawled Cook the colony all over at Kristina. This is happening in your home state. What on earth is happening at that council. I think this is rewarding vandalism.
Speaker 12: It does appear to be rewarding of vandalism Danaka. But can you imagine if they're doing this to the Captain Cook statue, what they're going to do to the Daniel Andrews statue once that gets erected. Look, I know I can only imagine what's going to happen. But in terms of the Captain Cook statue, I think the only way to look at this is from a libertarian perspective. I don't think that rate payers or tax payers should be paying for statues or CCTV or security guards to monitor these statues. If communities and actual communit and it is not World councils want certain statues in their areas, then those certain statues should be erected and they should stay. And then in five years, ten years time, if they want to change the statue, then so be it. But I think the purpose of government is not to erect statues here and there and spend our money. The purpose of government is to make sure that all the bills get paid or maybe balance a budget for once.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look, I totally agree.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think that money being spent erecting statues Willy Nearly is absolutely ridiculous. But I look at it from the perspective of this is our this is our history, Linda, and I just think bending to the will of vandals surely cannot set a good example to the community. I mean, vandalize what doesn't align with your political agenda, and oh that's okay, no problems, We're going to get rid of it.
Speaker 11: Look, I'm out of local government now, if you know. But I'll never not defend out great five hundred and thirty seven local governments across the country, each one of them very different and doing different things for their different communities, but very important. On statues, I think the real question is this are the things that we put in our public domain representative of our communities. Famously, in the city of Sydney, when I was a counselor, I called out that there were more statues of birds than there were of women. I was wondering around the city one day with my teenage son, who kind of looked up and went, this is a bit of a sausage party this city. It actually obviously really caught on because I moved that there be more as statue parity, like I think the mayor of this council has said, we don't want to tear down historic statues, or in this case, the city is seeing such high costs from repeated vandalism that actually the mayor's and the council's decision is the best use of public money and This is an important consideration that councils do need to take into account, is to not put the statue back up because it will continue to be vandalized. That's a good financial decision the best interests of the right payers of this council. I think looking forward, we've got to have different statue representations. We can't just have handless Yeah, but we've got all these other women who are also part of our history who we don't know about because they're not in paintings, they're not in our history books, they're not in our statues.
Speaker 2: We can't have about community.
Speaker 11: After statue of the same old men.
Speaker 12: Linda, we keep talking about community, and what about if these vandals that are so passionate about the community, whether they're denying our colonial past, if they actually contributed to community, they spend half of the passion they have to vandalize actually contributing to supporting women, to supporting youths you know, that are at risk, or all those kind of things. We're kind of changing this into a topic of let's have more statues to balance the books, when in actual fact, we have an issue of vandalism here, and we have an issue of tax payers and rate payers paying for these statues that clearly the community doesn't want. So we are conflicting issues in this one.
Speaker 2: It's a tough choice.
Speaker 11: I condemn the vandalism that clearly shouldn't happen. It's not in the public interest. But we can't just keep pretending that the only significant person in Australia's history is someone like Captain Cook. He's significant, but it's not the whole story. And we've got to have public art in our public spaces that tell the whole of Australia's history, not just one part of it.
Speaker 3: Well, I want to move on to other White Council news now because Sydney's Council. Sydney Council's reputation as a fun police has been reinstated this week as it moves to ban large events in public parks and well for what reason do you ask, Well, according to Lord Mayor Clover Moore, it's due to climate change. Yes, you heard it, that old chestnut in an effort to protect grass from damage. I mean we've really heard it all now? Is that climate change? Willy nilly just gets thrown around at every event. A Linda, you're the former Deputy Lord mayor and a former counselor of the City of Sydney yourself, what's your response to this climate change.
Speaker 11: Well, look, my predecessor, Counselor Ollie Arkins, moved a motion to activate these green spaces in the City of Sydney to make sure that they were able to have more festivals, more fun, more engagement. And I was really sad to see that Lord Mayor cloven More voted that motion down. I think it is disappointing because the City of Sydney should be a place where there's incredible festivals and fun and engagement. It creates fun, but it creates jobs, it creates economic activation as well. I moved that there'd be more green space overall, and I think this is part of the problem. You've popped lots more people in Sydney, but you haven't opened up more green space. And I think that makes it difficult because people want to have a vestable but also walk their door and you know that they're the advance.
Speaker 2: This is the thing they're Kristen.
Speaker 3: I mean, they're there to be used and now apparently they can't be used because of climate change.
Speaker 2: But how do you make sense of that?
Speaker 12: So grass getting damaged. Is climate change?
Speaker 9: Is that?
Speaker 12: Is that the main point here, because I think there's grounds keepers to be able to maintain grass, or every forty year old man at home is probably really obsessed with their grass at the moment. But that doesn't sound like climate change to me. I think that I've been banging on about this forever in a day in terms of councils sponsoring or creating these kind of festivals themselves, and you know, whether that's a twilight market or a street festival or whatever that may be, but then denying permits for private businesses and private organizations that want to have those events. If they are going to compete with those kind of markets, they shouldn't be the ones that are responsible for approving those permits, and they should If they are responsible for approving those permits, they should be goven to a strict criteria. Will it bring economic prosperity to the community, will the benefits outweigh the cons of the grass getting damaged? And is it an event that is worthwhile doing. If they answer yes to all of those things, then the permit should be approved. But they do need to stop competing with these kind of businesses.
Speaker 2: Can I also just say that.
Speaker 11: I mean, climate change is real, but the City of Sydney is a council with a surplus. They can invest in drainage that would solve the problem.
Speaker 2: Although it is completely it's a false Well, you know.
Speaker 3: What, maybe Clover Moore actually just needs to get back to the basics herself of rates, rubbish and rhads. I think that she should really stick to the basics and stop driving everybody nuts.
Speaker 2: We're gonna have to take a quick break coming up.
Speaker 3: Will you back more with this fight up debate after this, Well, welcome back to the program. I'm still here with former Labor councilor Linda Scott and libertarian commentator at Kristin Abraham. Now, look, let's talk about Anthony Alberne, because he's revealed the vision for his second term in government and he has, well to the detriment of us, introduced a brand new slogan, have a look.
Speaker 13: I think that during the campaign as well, we had progressive patriotism if you like, is one way that it's been called. You know, we spoke about doing things the Australian way.
Speaker 14: He used a really interesting phrase a moment ago, progressive patriotism. I'm not sure whether I've heard that from you before? Were you conscious of that as a factor through the campaign, and is it going to be something that guards you now in this second term?
Speaker 13: What's conscious of it?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 3: Progressive patriotism Mark Kristen, Well, there's lots of ways to interpret that.
Speaker 2: One is that a good slogan for Olbow to be trotting out?
Speaker 12: Look, I'll pay credit where credit is due. I'd rather have a united country under labor than a divided country under labor. The thing about laboring, what they're really good at is they're good at coining phrases. They're good at educating voters, and I say educating voters and making them care about what they're the new thing that they're trying to talk about. It is a good thing that we are talking about patriotism. It's sad that we have to put the word progressive in front of it because they think extremists on either end has ruined that word. But my biggest problem here is that the Liberal Party are still in the locker room squabbling amongst themselves, and Anthony Albinizi is out here changing the narrative and directing the people where to go, and we will end up with an entrenched Labor government if the Liberal Party don't get onto the field very soon.
Speaker 3: No, look, I totally agree on but I think the coalition will broadly need to get together pretty quick because you could say earlier this week that Anthony Alberanzi the team they're trying to move forward, while we've got the Libs still trying to get themselves ready. Progressive patriotism, Linda, you're a fan of that one.
Speaker 11: Look, I think the Prime Minister is uniting garverning with a record majority, the largest majority government Labor has ever seen in the history of this country. As the oldest political party in Australia. That in itself is remarkable. But he's very aware with humility that he's got a job to do, and his job is to unite the country and deliver the reforms that he's committed to.
Speaker 2: I do think it, though.
Speaker 11: Is a lovely thing for Australians to reflect about what makes this place so special. And there are many of the things that the Prime Minister spoke about during the campaign, Medicare or farm the pharmaceutical.
Speaker 2: Which was a benefit, it was a lie the whole time.
Speaker 11: Making sure that we stand up to the interests of the pharmaceutical companies, making sure that we stand up to the against the interests of people that want to tear apart these great systems, the National Disability Insurance scheme. You know, these are great government schemes that well every day.
Speaker 3: So don't even get me started on a couple and that is a behemoth scheme that has been blown out by all sorts of issues.
Speaker 2: For Aasmelionsact scheme.
Speaker 11: The fact is Australians have voted for these kinds of schemes. They've voted for good progressive government in record numbers. We've got a coalition that is, you know, still one day after the election of their new leader having ministers shadow ministers undermine her. They've got Greens that you know, have only just come to view about who their leader should be, having had three quarters of their party room not re elected. You know, the Prime Minister is progressive and a sensible.
Speaker 3: I'm all for patriotism, but I do not believe we have seen a lot of patriotism in this country more broadly for the last few years, or even since October seven, twenty twenty three. I think that's when a lot of issues started here. I'm all for patriotism, but prove it. Don't come out and say we're all for patriotism if you cannot actually unite this country, and Albo has not done that over the last three years. Now, look before we go, we've got to go to the US, because there are so many things wrong with singing and host Jake Tappers and you tell all on the cover up of Biden's cognitive decline, starting with the simple.
Speaker 2: Fact that he actually wrote it.
Speaker 3: Because remember when he yelled at Lara Trump for simply mentioning Biden's cognitive decline.
Speaker 15: I think you were making a stutter, and I think you have absolutely no standing to diagnose somebody's cognitive decline. I would think that somebody in the Plump family would be more sensitive to people who do do not have medical licenses diagnosing politicians from Afar. Plenty of people have diagnosed your father from Afar, and I'm sure it offends you, your father in law from a far. I'm sure it defends you. You don't have any standing to say.
Speaker 7: Noticing what I'm saying.
Speaker 15: You just talked about a cognitive decline.
Speaker 1: I have one last question for you.
Speaker 6: L You can't im on.
Speaker 2: Stage, and it's very concerning to a lot of people that this could be the leader of the free world. Okay, that is all I'm saying.
Speaker 7: Genus, thank you, La, Sorry for Joe.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it. Kristin.
Speaker 3: You know, the liberal media now are just coming out trying to cover themselves up when they supported Biden the whole time.
Speaker 12: They showed their true colors on just pushing whatever narrative they've been fed rather than actually doing what journalism is meant to be. It's sad that Joe Biden will be remembered as sleepy Joe compared to his you know, decades in politics. But everyone in that administration and his family should be held accountable for trying to hide this from the American public and then trying to get him re elected when they knew they knew he was in cognitive decline. And all those journalists should have their jobs re evaluated, but they won't because that media is biased.
Speaker 2: I totally agree, and I agree.
Speaker 3: I think people like doctor Jill Biden are all culpable in this, and they let it go for too long.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, we've run out of time.
Speaker 3: Kristin Abrahams and Linda Scott, nice to catch up with you.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for joining me. That's it from me.
Speaker 3: Paul will be back in the man Cave on Sunday, but stay with us. Up next is a late debate.
Speaker 2: Goodnight,