Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Britney Saunders and welcome to Big Business, the place where business is far from boring, and today I'm recording on gadigul Land. Now I somehow manage to build an empire from the garage underneath my house, and I'm here to share it all with you, from the winds, the huge mistakes, the challenging times, and the funny moments in between. So, whether you're in business yourself already, perhaps you're not in the game at all, Maybe you're just looking for some inspo, or you simply just want to hear.
Speaker 2: The tea, this is the podcast for you.
Speaker 1: Coming up on today's episode, I'm joined by a very special guest who turned seven thousand dollars and a dream into a thirty million dollar global SoC empire. She's never paid an influencer yet, mad Mia sells ten pairs of socks a minute and has collabs with Barbie Disney and Harry Potter. From lawsuits to warehouses around the world, including one in a country that's currently trying to sue her. Tanya is powerhouse with a wild business story.
Speaker 2: Tanya, welcome to Big Business.
Speaker 3: Thank you thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: This is your first studio interview exactly how are you feeling.
Speaker 3: No, I'm not stressed at all, not I'm just yeah, just walk up. I usually don't drink coffee, but today I'm having a coffee.
Speaker 2: I love it. I love it.
Speaker 1: I'm not your target market, so I'm learning all about your business today.
Speaker 2: But tell us what is madmea.
Speaker 3: Well, we design the most colorful, fun socks with toys and accessories. And what is good about mad Meir It's full of color. It's just so loud, it's crimps color. Whatever you go on the street, everybody gets stopped and say, oh my good, what is going on with this socks? And that is why the brand works for kids and Parasit empowers them. It makes the kids stand out, it makes them feel confident. And I always compare it it's like wearing a pair of Madmere socks is like going to Disneyland. Yeah, it's like color for You're lots of fun and everybody's like happy and and that's yeah. So we I am the sock queid.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 3: I love and the fact that we like I think myself invented this new category. So it's not just a sock, it's a lifestyle brand. And we don't create socks. We create a whole experience when you wear the pair ofs and they come with toys, access to shoelaces and whatnot, and kids love it. It's just something that yeah, I'm very proud of, very proud.
Speaker 2: I love that, and I think that's so important.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of people when they want to start a business, they like the idea of starting a business. And let's say, for example, if you are making socks, it's great to want to make socks, but I love that you have such like a mission and a message behind why you make the socks, Like you're not just making socks because they're comfortable and you wear them, you know you've got the whole like brand message of them being fun, empowering.
Speaker 2: They will make everyone feel confident.
Speaker 3: Believe it or not. Like every week we get customers like parents writing us like I can't believe and I want to cry now when I talk about it. I was like, it's like it's like I can't believe that a pair of socks have changed my daughter's life. Where it's like I don't know why I'm always so emotional because she's like she goes to school she's the coolest kid at school now with these socks. They make us so happy and I love that.
Speaker 1: Ah that's don't you make us all cry in the studio here, But I think that's amazing. Like it's so inspiring to see an owner be so passionate about their product because, like, as I'm sure you know, business is so tough. Ever I know, but I think as long as you stay really aligned to why you're doing what you're doing, and if it's people you know emailing you saying my daughter has so much confidence because of your socks, I think that's your reason why you're doing what you're doing.
Speaker 3: Exactly, And it's not for me and everybody who knows me all my stuff. It's not about the money. I don't care how much money we make, how many Like I just want to make a difference. I want to eat something that one day so I will be like, oh my god, she did this socks and these are her socks, and whoever, there will be probably many other people who will do this socks in the future, but like, she's the one and I'm so happy for it.
Speaker 2: You know, I think I'm being honest with you.
Speaker 1: I think you've already done that, but you're saying one day I'm going to get to that point.
Speaker 2: But I think you've already done it.
Speaker 3: I did, but I'm still like sort of like, you know, I still don't believe it, Like I still can't believe it. I have bad day, Like in business, you know how it is. Sometimes you're doing so good, but then I go home like I'm shit, Like I'm shit. I'm like, I'm like, I'm like the worst business woman ever.
Speaker 2: Everyone hates me.
Speaker 3: I'm like, I'm not good. And my partner is like, what are you talking about? Like fifty years ago, I came to Australia as a international students who study master's degree. I came here with literally no money. He's like, look, what are you built? No, No, I'm not good today, I'm not good. So sometimes like we find hard to believe how far we've come in the business because we are so involved and we don't we don't stand back, we don't Yeah we don't see that thing, yeah exactly, but other people do, which is good. I think all Medmea customers and fans do it. And I have the biggest, the most loyal people that they just follow Medimea love it. And it's not as as I say, too many people, we don't work with influences like we don't, we don't, we don't, We don't even hire them, we don't even engage. Because we have a customers who supporter us, why not embrace them and make them when we we we We just moved in a new warehouse and I built like a big studio. Photo shoots every two weeks with the photo shoots, and we invite our customers to come and be a part of the photo shoots because we don't want we want because who else, who better is going to perform at the photo shoot then your customers who already love and are obsessed with the brand.
Speaker 1: So we are definitely in our era of the customer as well at FATE, and that's something that.
Speaker 2: We're really host seeing on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we dabble a little bit in influencer marketing and I'd love to chat with you about that.
Speaker 2: But I think it's really great that you.
Speaker 1: Are focusing on community because yes, whilst influencers are great and like they can generate sales, it is so clever to invest in your community and the people that support you already, you know, rather than giving influencers, more free stuff, which is all well and good. I am all for you know, getting your community involved with your brand for your photo shoots. Yeah, because they're only going to see that and be like wow, like I already love this brand. I love their socks, and now they're showing that they love their community and customers.
Speaker 2: It makes them feel val shoot.
Speaker 3: You should see them when they come to office for a photo shoot. It's like their dream coming true. They're so happy. Their parents are happy to see their kids being so happy, and it's just the best. They have the best time of their life. It's all about and we don't like we don't just take photos. We have the best food and the west parties and the best music, and we dance and we just have so much fun. So it's not just come and do a photo shoot and we'll use your photos and videos for market. No we can't. Yeah, I can't have experience. And they kind of design the socks with all the designers now and everybody like going in the office and it's just and and and and the interesting thing is the parents become our friends. So it's like I have so many parents, is like, and then sometimes like I have this customer who is like number one fan of man Mia. She has all her socks everything else. We do it and it's like at night when I pous on social media, which I still do it myself on Instagram. I post and if she doesn't comment, I'm like, say it, why don't customer? She's sorry, She's like sorry, sorry, I'll post later. I promise you I'll comment later. I'm like, please do and she like we just love it. Like we're just all like talking and communicating with the with the customers, with the parents, and and pay events. I mean, yeah, it's just so such a good community we create and I'm so proud of it, to be honest, And I'm proud of it because they helped me and support me do everything. Every design we do, I call them, I'm like, what do we do? Yeah? Like what do you think? What's in? What?
Speaker 2: Feedback is everything?
Speaker 3: It's the best, it's the best.
Speaker 1: Now you bought the company that you were employed at exactly, Yes, that is iconic.
Speaker 2: Can you talk us through how that all came to be?
Speaker 3: So? I started Masters in Design and after getting out of UNI, I was looking for a job and I landed a job with the startup company who was started by somebody else and had an investor, very wealthy investor, silent investor from Australia and they needed a designer to design some socks for them, and the idea was to design playing socks. So I got the job. I thought it's exciting and we it was the market was kids socks. But as soon as I got the job, like this is this is just you can't be just socks. We need to bring something else to the just wanted to do playing just playing socks, Yes, gotcha, adults for kids mostly kids.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I started designing socks. But then three months in to my role, I was doing everything, not just designing, marketing, sales, everything you possibly think of. The investor called me and said, I have the guys who started the company, but I don't think they're doing a good job because you do everything. How about I get you around the whole show for me. I'm like, Okay, that's a dream job for me. I would love to and he's like, we'll see how it goes. Few start, maybe you'll you'll you'll own the business. And I'm like, wow, this is exciting, very good opportunities. So for two years I worked for him. Right, we own the business.
Speaker 2: So you didn't go in as an owner, No, you were just like what were you working as?
Speaker 3: Did you have a designer, packing, marketing, everything around, everything, everything, everything? And I was still working from home and then two years in and I was like on a minimum salary wage, you can possibly think, but I was doing not just everything. I would also say to my investor, we need to go to China. I get some stock, find new factories, manufacturer. He's like, we don't have a budget for it. You spend everything, we don't have money. And I'm like, you know what, how about I pay for everything and then if we make money, you'll pay me back. And he's like, you're crazy. Do it. So I'll go to China, pay everything myself, find new new manufacturers, everything I need to do, come back and when we make the money in the business, he will pay me back. And he got to the poort.
Speaker 2: He's an investor and he was saying you should pay for it. Yes, Is he still your investor?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: That's weird, yeah, very weird. So many questions.
Speaker 3: I love. I mean, we are still good friends. He's a big supporters. But I'm not gonna come better because everything that I am today. He helped me. Yes, because but however, he built his business babe back in the eighties when there was no marketing, there was no social media. He never believed in that. A very old school so he when I say to him, Hey, we need a marketing budget, He's like, what is that?
Speaker 2: Like what do you what do you mean?
Speaker 3: What do you mean? And I was like, okay, great, okay, move on and then yeah, So he got to the point that two years in, I was like, can you Chris my salary? Like, I'm working in such like, I have a very bad pay I get my pay for from my pocket for any events, travelers, everywhere I'll go. I'm like, can you incrias my salary? He's like, how about I give you forty nine percent shares for free? Like what, but you keep the shitt salary. I'm like, okay, great, But that was good. So it was a good step into the business.
Speaker 2: At this point, the original owners they were out of the peace.
Speaker 3: They were out within three months.
Speaker 2: So they walked away within the worst three months that you were there. Yeah, they can killed them just working.
Speaker 1: On a salary. The investor held all the shares in the company. Yes, then you worked your bum off for two years and then your investor goes, hey, I want to give you forty nine percent of this company for free.
Speaker 3: Yes, don't walk away, he said, don't walk away, but I'll give you forty nine percent of shares for free.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: And I said that sounds wonderful. That's why not too.
Speaker 2: Good to be true?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, but I worked really hard. When I say hard, would I look back, would I do this again? No? Because it was so hard. I had to build the Instagram account with non marketing budget, I had to make sales online with non marketing budget. I had to do everything pretty much just being me, just there.
Speaker 1: I think that's what existing the crazy things about starting a business from scratch and doing it all yourself. It's funny that you say that I would never do it again, because I feel the same about all the stuff that I did, maybe in the first you know, four years of when I was fate.
Speaker 2: I look back.
Speaker 1: Now and I go, oh, my goodness, I could never do that again, and I think I'm so glad I'm not doing that right now. But when you're in that moment, you don't think that way because you're building and grinding and hustling, and I think you can see where this thing can go. So you just really do put in all that groundwork, and you get to the stage where you're right now where you're thinking, I would never do that again, but you're so glad that you did.
Speaker 3: It right exactly. No, everything I did and the way I did it, I don't regret it because I learned so much from it, and the fact that I don't have a business degree. I have a designer degree, but I've learned everything else in business, and I run the business myself right now pretty much everything, and the business is still up to today. It's just the best thing that can ever happen to me.
Speaker 2: And so when did all of this happen?
Speaker 3: Like roughly, So this was like two thousand and let's say seventeen, I got forty nine percent shares.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: A year later, the business were just starting to make money. We didn't make money back then. It was very hard, and he was putting a lot of money investing in the business in terms of stock and new designs and new developments, product developments and everything else. So when we just started making money, and I met my partner at the time and we were planning to have some kids and some kids kids, And then I said to him, to my investor, I'm like, like, you don't care about me. You know, it's my baby. Why don't you sell it to me? Just give me the rest of the business and walk away. He's super wealthy, he's retired now, he doesn't need the money, and I'm like, what, just sell it to me, and he's like, let me think about it. And anyway, two weeks later he calls me. It's like I always knew it's your baby, and I think, who is the better person to buy the business of me than you? So he agreed to sell it to me.
Speaker 1: You bought the sixty yes, and what was the revenue of the company at that time?
Speaker 3: Very little? Yeah, No, No, it was more. Actually it was more. It was like around nine hundred thousand dollars turn to noah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think that's the thing that people always get confused with when you're like, oh, I've got a business and it turns over nine.
Speaker 2: Hundred thousand dollars a year, It's like, you don't get nine.
Speaker 3: Hundred no, No, it all comes down in the WORL was just becoming profitable. Let's say that.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have a question that I'm curious about. And I don't know if I'm going to get in trouble for asking you this, And I don't know if you can tell me, but I'm going to ask you anyway you can tell me if you can't ask this question?
Speaker 2: How does it.
Speaker 1: Work having other businesses pictures and logos on your product?
Speaker 2: For example, Disney?
Speaker 3: What do you mean?
Speaker 1: Sorry, Like, do you have to get like some sort of special license to have Disney on your socks?
Speaker 3: I actually work with Disney. Wow, I work with Disney. I work with Warner Brothers who work Withney Claudian. We work with Universal Studios, and we pay a licensing fee to be able to use their logos, their their characters, their assets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then do they make like a percentage of sales because you're using it?
Speaker 2: Or with the licensing you know, is that you have.
Speaker 3: A minimum amount of guarantee that you pay to licensing brands, but then that is sort of gets deducted per they get percentage prepare of sock salt. But that's already like sort of like you pay upfront, but then deductor they take.
Speaker 2: A little royalties.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I've always been so curious by that, you know, because we see so many brands and businesses do collaborations with like Lilo and Stitch or whatever it is, and the business owner in me is always so curious. And when I was jumping on your website, I'm seeing Powerpuff Girls, Stitch Inside Out, and Mickey Mouse, like You've got absolutely everything, and I've always been so curious, like how does that work?
Speaker 2: So it's interesting to know.
Speaker 3: Well, first when I back in the day's first collaboration, we did it. I don't even know if you remember Jojo Siwa. Yeah, the cute see Little Bows. We did, so we did arrange for her. That's how it started. It was the Nickelodeon. But then after them. Since I was a little girl, I always dreamt of like working with Disney, and then it took me well of a year to get them, get in touch with them then to start.
Speaker 1: Obviously when you went in as an employee, they didn't have like these existing relationships with no big companies because I were.
Speaker 2: Just doing the plane.
Speaker 3: So they did it. And to be honest with Disney, I started working maybe two years ago. Okay, so I just like it took me a long time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you kind of have to like pitch yourself to them and be like, hey, this is me, I want to use your designs on my socks exactly.
Speaker 3: But then you have to yeah, but it's it's not just yeah, yes, yes, you can say that, but then you have to open up you financials as well, show them how well you are establishing the market, how well you can do and what you can bring to the table. Then no one else can and yeah and there like let's say a few meetings. If they accept you, yeah, they will radio proposal and say hey, we want to work with you. So this is these are terms. If you're happy with it, we go ahead. But working with Disney, especially with Disney, has been one of the biggest success for men. Miir to be honest and so proud to say that we are the first Australian brand is going to be launching in August in Disnel and Paris.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: So I'm very proud, very excited.
Speaker 2: Are you doing everything You're doing the most?
Speaker 3: I'm trying. I'm trying, and we are the first Australian brand that is going to be an Old Toys r US stores in Asia.
Speaker 2: Wow, everywhere You're and you figured all this out on your own.
Speaker 3: Yes, after making so many mistakes.
Speaker 1: What's one of the biggest mistakes you've ever made in your business journey if you can. I know we make mistakes all the time as business owners, But is there one that you've done where you've been like, wow, yeah, I'm never doing that again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, trying to sow what I did once. I mean, one of the biggest mistakes and we lost a lot of money, is when we import. So what happens was we designed this beautiful pair of socks that came in with like lace up shoelaces, but the shoelaces had eared battle like one of those button butteries at the back in their light up. So when you wear the socks turned light laces and everything was great. So we checked all the Australian standards. Everything was good, the shoelaces were fine. And then by the time the shipmen arrived in Australia, the legislation change and those batteries are not safe, yeah, and they were not packed properly yeah, according to the new legislation. So we had to recall the whole product that was already in our warehouses in US and in Australia back then, and then yeah, it was a disaster.
Speaker 2: And you just had to like bin the whole thing, yes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and go quiet about it and be like, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 2: Had you already like promoted them on social media by.
Speaker 3: That point, Oh yes, yes, yes, yes. But what we did is so some of them to cover some of the losses. So we had to like my stuff manually start taking the shoelaces off, and we donated a lot and we just give away. We did some stuff, but when you receive them, you can see that something is missing on them, so you couldn't really like sell them on the website or something like that. Yeah. Wow, so that was that was bad. Yes.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Something else that I think you need to tell me about is you're currently being sued.
Speaker 3: Okay, so what happened was on Monday morning, I woke up to the news that I'm my company in Brazil is being sued. I haven't started operating in Brazil. The plan I opened a company in Brazil. The way things work in the Brazil, once you register a company in Brazil that all the information your company information goes public. Some scammers found out about me registered company in Brazil and decided to go out there and create hundreds of fake mad Meal website, using my brand logo, using my imagery, using everything. So they my website, just completely copy my website and yeah, and pretending to sell the stock they don't have, and ripped off thousands and thousands of people.
Speaker 1: And so people thought that they were shopping from your website, but the Brazil version, But it was actually set up by a scammer, exactly, and they were scamming your customers.
Speaker 3: Yes, And what happens when the customer realized that they will never receive their orders, they will contact the scammers to say where is my order? And they keep saying call mad Me in Australia, they have the stock that will ship it to you. So I have thousands and towns of customers coming to us every day on social media saying and emails and everything and saying where's my stock, You're gonna ship it. We were like, we never received the money, We never and until we discovered what yet these people have done a lot of unhappy customers that got ripped off got together and took me to court thinking that it's me scamming down.
Speaker 2: Have you since like said it's not me? Do they know now that it's not you.
Speaker 3: Well, I've actually hired a criminal lawyer in Brazil who is pressing charges against these people who are doing this to my business. But now we need to go to court and prove to these innocent people that it's not us, that is someone.
Speaker 2: Like they found who actually did it.
Speaker 3: Not yet, however, my partner is very invested in the whole case, and we think we know who the guy is. Shit, but we're just collecting all the proofs now. But the scary thing is that I haven't even started operating there and I have all this I have a better reputation, and I don't know how what I'm gonna do and how I'm gonna what I'm gonna do to get out of it because people don't trust you.
Speaker 2: And I've spoken on your social media about.
Speaker 3: Yeah I did. I had to make a video, many videos to to warn people not to go and shop on any other website apart from madmere dot com. But the interesting thing is that this guy who is doing the scam, who's behind this all this website, he's doing paid ads on Facebook as well to get more money pretending and selling all the Disney license products illegally and pretending to.
Speaker 2: Be me and he paid for him as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm actually because we have a I don't know if you know, brand register, brand news register don't matter, so I can go at the back and just block his ads and post immediately.
Speaker 2: But it didn't you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it takes time.
Speaker 2: It just what a nightmare.
Speaker 3: Yes, so yeah next next week, Yeah, we're going to.
Speaker 2: God look Out is coming for you.
Speaker 3: Very scary and I yeah, I just it's been a nightmare. So when people think that, oh, business is going well, you're so you must be so happy, You're like, I've never had more problems than I have.
Speaker 2: I'm not getting sued in Brazil at the moment, thank you very much.
Speaker 3: It's hard. I just got suit today because because yeah, I just decided to open a business. But and one very interesting stories as well, which I passed to the criminal lawyers. So this guy who is scamming people, he created so many websites, but we managed to hack into one. Yes, and we can see the thousands of orders you've taken and money and now we we we gave it to the police there to ref on these people. But we hacked into one of the website because he used our email address for some I don't even.
Speaker 2: Know how with your email address.
Speaker 3: And do you know how he does it? So in Brazil to create a shop of a store you have, you have a promotion of having a month for free for one dollar. So that's what he's doing every my creating new websites for one dollar because in shopify Brazil you can for one dollar create a website each month.
Speaker 1: And just new website, doing a free trial shop, scamming people going on to the next port.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, and doing pay thats far out. Not having a single pair of socks is stock?
Speaker 2: How can people get away with this?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I really don't know, and I'm very like, I'm just shocked. Who would have thought?
Speaker 2: Maybe we need so we have scammers?
Speaker 1: I think like a good business ideas.
Speaker 3: I profer this morning, I walk out with my I have a name employee who works in Brazil. She sent me three other new websites.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they have a full fully develop Instagram accounts with like faith faith followers and everything, but all my posts. So if you go on my Instagram and they look the same, so people think it's the same.
Speaker 1: Isn't that crazy that people can do that? And you think like you could just report it and it would get taken down. But like Meta doesn't care about that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: They do, Actually they do because since my brand is registered with Meta, I go in the backhand and report them. And to be honest, so far, Mata has been so good because it's I will report them within two hours it's gone, oh good, So I'm happy with that. But yeah, I just discovered that at the in my ad account in Matter, so I'm doing that every day. So I do that too. The scary thing is that recently we are facing a lot of knockoffs on the market in significant amount of volume. I seek containous of fake med mew socks around the world, and every day I'm spending a fortune with lawyers in US, in Europe, in here in China. I'm taking two factories in China in court now next month suing them because that's what they do. They go behind closed door and they just create copy.
Speaker 1: I think this is when this all comes down to back to what we were talking about, your community and your social media, Like that's gonna be your power, because whilst people can go out and try to replicate what you're making, they can't replicate you or your brand or your community. And so I think that's why all that stuff that we spoke about is so important.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that also doesn't mean that I'm gonna sit there and watch what they're doing. I actually go out there and I make sure they know who I am, and then I'm onto them and I'm not gonna give up, and I'm not gonna stop until they stop, because it just like taking taking my baby away, like created this, and I'm going to fight for it until they think I'm like this crazy person.
Speaker 2: The crazy person.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I will go there. What happened? Also interesting story is I went to a trade scher in Hong Kong in January and I was exhibiting there and then next to me whole stand with mock over my socks. They were selling them.
Speaker 2: Did you go over there?
Speaker 3: Of course? I made a sin a drama. I love it. I had to. I mean, I was like, what are you doing? These are my products? Start taking them off?
Speaker 2: What did they say?
Speaker 3: Well, they infringing on my own designs. I have trained my copyrights on everything, So they took them off. I went to the IP department reported them, so they took them off. But the day which is done. They already spent a whole day selling and making money out of my hard work and designs. Well, you could just change it a little.
Speaker 2: Bit, make it get different.
Speaker 3: At least they even like you. Know how they when they copy usually brands, they change the name or something. No, they even have my tag on it you mad me, Yeah, mad MEA, or they will just remove the A at the end, So it's mad me mad me. You're kidding?
Speaker 1: And yeah, and they I mean, that is a massive compliment if you want to look at it that way. If your brand is so viral and so popular that people want to copy it down to the actual logo and name, that's a credit to you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess so. I mean they say, if you see your socks and I they express, that means that you made.
Speaker 1: It exactly right. You've absolutely made it. Let's go back to the marketing of MADMEA. First of all, what does mad does MADMEA stand for?
Speaker 2: Anything?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: The name?
Speaker 3: I gotta be honest, The name was like was created by the initial founders of the brand. Ye, so I didn't influence that, but I actually love it. I'm sorely love with it. And people call me madme and I so I go by that. No, they don't call me anymos like Madme and great nice.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: So you have said that you have never spent a cent on influencer marketing, but you also just mentioned to me that it was only up until like five years ago, you hadn't spent a single cent on marketing paid marketing in general. So like you're talking ads like all that kind of stuff, you.
Speaker 3: Didn't have the money.
Speaker 1: So the first few years of your business you relied solely just on organic marketing.
Speaker 2: Exactly how powerful do you think organic marketing is even now?
Speaker 3: Very very I loved, I mean, and what we did back in the days is in order to attract attention and get the people in community involved. I used to have this photo shoot events every two weeks, which I'm doing and now in our office. But before I didn't have a studio, and I will hire like a dance student, get a big room and get a lot of dances and kids that love med me to come and have it again these days with mad Me. Back in the days, people used to pay to come and take a photo with me and spend the day and have a photoshed with So it was like a full on event day where it which is everybody had so much fun. Even now parents are shaying, oh look at this my daughter from ten years ago potowed you at the photoshurement. So those are the events I created in order to get the community involved with the brand because I didn't have the money to for anything to pay because I just especially when I just bought the business, I had like seven thousand dollars left in we're bank account. Like what do you do? First?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what do you How do you market yourself with six thousand goals? It doesn't really go far?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that you built like the foundations of the business off for organic marketing because one thing that I've found speaking to a lot of other business owners and maybe where content isn't something that they're doing a lot of or they they they're not keen on making content is a lot of business owners think that organic marketing isn't important.
Speaker 2: Oh God, But as.
Speaker 1: For you, for example, let's say, so you're obviously doing paid advertising now like paid at everything, because.
Speaker 3: We're doing it because we're growing really fast and the business has expanded, as they said, we have US warehouse, European Warehouse now opening Brazil next month Australia. We have two warehouses. Yes, so we Yeah, we have to keep Yeah, we have to.
Speaker 2: So if you were to stop posting your organic content that you post on your socials, what would happen to the business?
Speaker 3: I don't know, good question, never thought about it.
Speaker 2: Do you to go down?
Speaker 3: Maybe? Yes? But that is why I believe it or not. I was just telling Tash before the interview, I haven't missed a day since how many years ago, twenty fourteen not to post on Instagram. And it's like for us, it's like that's where our community is at the moment. It's like Instagram and it's just like I can't miss the day. I remember in my part of the things that I am like, i'd be crazy because I remember a few years ago I had a kidney surgery and then I'm waking up from the surgery and first thing I do is like, it's seven o'clock. I need to post on this and it's like are you crazy? Are you crazy? Like, but I have to do it. I have to. Like I feel like every night for me, posting on social media, which is my perfect time for posting, is like I have to be there to entertain to tell the world what I've done today, like what I'm doing, and it's like it's like it's like going putting a like 'sentertaining your followers, Like you have to be there, you have to engage with that. Other way they'll forget.
Speaker 2: They will. And this is the thing that I'm so passionate about.
Speaker 1: And I love that you're saying this because a lot of people, like, maybe they'll sign up to a business advertising course where it's all about paid but no one is really focusing on the organics, and business owners are missing out if they're not continuously posting organic content. And they'll think, yeah, but it's organic content, it's not going to make sales, Like that's the number one driver of sales. And if you have strong organic content, if you're showing up on your reels every day, your ads are then gonna perform better. So I love when I meet other business owners and they stress the importance of showing up every day on social media.
Speaker 3: But you have to.
Speaker 1: I think it's a thing that a lot of business owners can't be bothered to do or they're like, oh, it's too hard, or I'm not going to do that because it's not going to bring me sales. But I think both you and I are living proof that organic content is everything and it can and does drive sales. You just have to get creative with it and do it in the right way.
Speaker 3: And to be honest, I'll tell you another experience, so like what I've experienced. I went to Germany for the first for the second time, the biggest toy fair in Germany in February. So I was there and it's like, no one knows. Not many people knew in Europe. No in Europe above man Mia because we just launched last year. So I went there to promote the brand because the other part of my business I do a lot of wholesale as well and distribution. So I went there to present the brand and so many people from around the world will come and say I've seen you on Instagram. I'm like, oh, it's like I've seen you seen, Oh, I know you. Like I'm like, I never market that that territoryff I've yeah, but I've landed over there with organic or organic posts and it's so good if it doesn't convert it sales if if nothing else, people know about you and it's so important, like it's a brand aware and it's a start like that, but then in sales eventually.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's what would be your advice to business owners out there who maybe think that organic content isn't important, or maybe they're just starting out, what would be your advice to them about creating organic content for their social media, for their brand and their personal brand.
Speaker 3: Don't give up. There will be good and bad days. I have posts when I post on Instagram. They perform really bad. But I tried, you know, I tried. For some of them, they just go viral. And why I don't know. I mean, I don't have the reci before it. But just be there. Do not give up. And you have to have that consistency every day, every day, commitment to that page. Because even if one presences, you post that night all day. It's just it makes a difference, I could call a lot of difference.
Speaker 2: I couldn't agree more. And I say the same for me.
Speaker 1: I have been building Fate for nearly eight years now and I post every single day, And even though we're.
Speaker 2: A big business, I still post every single day.
Speaker 3: Do you do it yourself?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do it on my account. I do it myself.
Speaker 1: For our Fate social media, We've got like a team that hadn't edit it all.
Speaker 2: But I'm still.
Speaker 1: In the comments every night, I'm still engaging every night. I'm showing up on my story every night. And it's all because you can't just all of a sudden get to a point with your business and then stop. You know, even if you get like to be a really big business, you can't just go Okay, then I'll slow down the content. If anything, I think the bigger that we get and the further we get into the journey.
Speaker 2: The more you have to keep posting, exactly. And it's never ending. But you've got to love it. And I think I love it.
Speaker 3: I'm obsessed with it. It's like a drug to be able to meet.
Speaker 2: Me too. And I think you've got to be upset with it.
Speaker 1: And I think if you combine all the things that you obviously have, the love for your product, the love for your community, the love for creating your content, the love for engaging with everyone, like, it's a recipe for success exactly.
Speaker 3: I mean, but you gotta, yeah, you gotta love what do you do? Like you got? Like all I do is I wake up, the all I think is like mad mia, and then I got to better. I think it's mad Mia. And then my partner gets up at three o'clock in the morning, He's like, what do you do?
Speaker 2: Does your partner do for work?
Speaker 3: He has his own business skin checks? Okay, yes, but he's he's actually selling his business at the moment because he wants to. He needs to come and help with Madmeir. I can't. I can't do it everything on my own. It's it's way bigger than and I still run it like it's a small business. And he keeps saying to me, you have to think big. Your business is big. I'm like, but but it's still my baby. Yeah, Like it's yeah, And I think it's good to always think about business that is just still small. I don't know why, like just treat it as it's a small business, even if even if it's a big business, because it's I still do customer service the middle of the night, ef I see an email, I do it. I have to do it.
Speaker 2: We jumping on the emails.
Speaker 3: Yay, I have to do it. And for us also, why made me successful is like we don't have a customer service policy. Well, customer service policy is I told my girls in customer service customersly to be happy if we have to give them three pairs of socks. If it's our fault, not our fault, they have to be happy. And once they're happy, they keep coming back. And let's say we sell like a million pairs per year if I send two hundred pairs to customers to make them happy.
Speaker 1: So yes, yes, absolutely, Obviously you had no idea that Mad Maya would get to the point that it is now. And I think everything that you're saying, I feel like you're me Like I'm understanding everything that you're saying. I feel like we're so similar in a lot of ways. With that being said, would you ever sell Mad Maya? Can you see that being on cards in the future.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure. I had already companies trying to acquire Man, we are yep and knocking on my door. At the moment, no way, I'm too excited. Yeah, it's so exciting. Yes, it's like what I'm gonna do after So at the moment, no, I can't say what's going to happen in ten years time. But at the moment, no, it's so exciting. I'm building this new culture and new lifestyle brand. Everybody is so excited. I feel like the world is just talking about men we or wherever I go, So no way for no no.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: And I think a lot of people that like invest invest in businesses or they acquire companies and it's all about the numbers. They find it really difficult talking to people like you and I that are extremely passionate about the business because their mind would be, what do you mean you don't want to sell it?
Speaker 2: Like we can give you a lot of money for.
Speaker 1: It and you'd just be super rich and you don't have to do anything anymore. But they don't know what I'm going to do, like this is my life. Yeah, they don't see that side of it because it's just a numbers game for that exactly exactly, Tanya. I always end my Big Business episodes with a tip of the week, but it can be a business tip, a life tip, a life hack. Do you have a tip that you can share with us today?
Speaker 3: I don't know. All I gotta say is your time will come. Just don't leave the party early. Be there, be persistent, and I think that if you really want it, you'll get there no matter what. I always believe in reflective futures in a way that every time I say put a goal for myself and I don't see it. I work towards the goal. I always get to that no matter what. But I have to be fully invested, dedication, consistency, don't give up, and yeah, your time will come for sure.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: I'm even feeling inspired now, like fate, I need to go out and do more because you said, oh, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Where can everyone find you?
Speaker 1: On socials and all so your products just for anyone that doesn't know well.
Speaker 3: I have my own TikTok account which I started and neglected because so many things to do. But I'm getting onto it. So it's Tania Philipopska and my mad Mia official Instagram, TikTok, Facebook, everything is the same. They can find us everywhere. Our website is mad We are the com Please go and check it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, get some fun songs and andy, you're gonna have to get some.
Speaker 3: I love it and thanks for having me. I love what you do. I'm following you every day. Obsessed. Were obsessed in the office. Now every time you put a video, we're like, look what s done?
Speaker 1: Now, I'm gonna have a pressure that you're watching.
Speaker 2: Every time making a new video. I'm gonna be saying, she's going to be watching.
Speaker 3: To make it really good. Oh you're amazing, very inspiring to be honest.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you so much.
Speaker 3: I love you.
Speaker 1: Likewise, I could chat with you for hours, But thanks so much for coming on and congratulations on all of your success. What an amazing story.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Thank you for having me.