Speaker 1: Welcome to L three sixty doub League from every angle, brought to you by NIB joining me again the great Gordon Talents. So it's been the Journal Australian James Hooper and Dean Richie. We've got a very special night ahead with someone being inducted into the Hall of Well being announced as an immortal, and a number of players are being inducted into the NRL Hall of Fame. The anticipation is building good. It sets up to be an absolute wonderful night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is, and it's one of those great nights. I was lucky enough to be there a few years ago and some of the names are that are going to go in, you know, like it's amazing, Like the list of players. You just realize how many stars have played our game and it's a great night.
Speaker 3: We should and we should honor them.
Speaker 4: What oppressed to you just evening at the Sydney Cricket Ground. An awesome celebration. The salary cap that will be in attendance tonight that's well over one hundred million dollars and I've got a commend you and I think they've done a magnificent job of promoting the Hall of fame and celebrating the immortals concert.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the caliber play that we see tonight is just off the charts to it. It's going to be a very historic night for rugby league and one gentleman will etch himself into rugby league history.
Speaker 1: Sure is bulldog and we can't wait for it. Let's head out to the SCG Lara and Cooper Kronk on the black carpet.
Speaker 6: Lara, A very.
Speaker 1: Special evening ahead for some of our greatest in our game, Braith.
Speaker 7: It is absolutely rugby League royalty turning out here at the Sydney Creaker Ground and alongside me one of our newest Hall of famers, Cooper Kronk. Cooper, multiple generations of rugby league stars have arrived here at the SCG. I want to know leaving the household tonight with your beautiful wife, Tara, or what was it like for you leaving the kids knowing when you return you've got that Hall of Fame jacket on.
Speaker 8: I was just trying to keep the vesiem my fingers off to the suit and try and keep clean on the way out look a field, to be honest, feel a little bit out of place. You look at the list of people in the Hall of Fame. It's pioneers, it's people that change the game. And I was a kid that grew up twenty minutes south of Brisbane, wasn't sort of destined to play footy. More hopeful than anything. Leandard two very good clubs. Timing is everything and I'm a bit of a reflection of the clubs, the players, the people I've played with, but very humble by it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's pretty special.
Speaker 7: Over one hundred and twenty six players now in the Hall of Fame, over one hundred years of rugby league.
Speaker 9: It's a very elite group. And you mentioned a couple of clubs.
Speaker 7: I want to ask about the Melbourne Storm and what it would mean to them to have four champions of their club inducted tonight.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's real a club that started in nineteen ninety eight to have four guys in the Hall of Fame. I think it speaks volumes of the people involved in Melbourne Storm, from all the early days of John rebo and Anderson, Stephen Kearney, Robbie Kerns, Glen Lazarus. But then he goes on to what Craig Bellamy has done without Craig Bellamy. I can't speak on behalf the other three guys, but I don't think this is possible without the leadership, the lessons of life, and the hard work ethic that he put into. So to Craig bell is a bit of a tip of the cap to him.
Speaker 7: Really, there's a real queens Land theme amongst a lot of the inductees to I want to talk about Billy Slater because when we often talk about champs champions of the game, we talk about players who changed the game, change their position. How does that apply to Billy? And even when we look at the way fullbacks play now.
Speaker 8: The best fullback we've seen ever in the game, the best fullback we will see in a long period of time. As you said, Billy changed the game. And it's one thing that people have a legacy or an impact. Is any fullback that plays from here and out will be saying, oh, compared to Billy Slater because Billy changed the role. It went from a position that was catching the ball to understanding the defense, to becoming the line breaker, to becoming a try ciscuy throwing long passes, short busses. It's basically a half with a fullback's speed and acceleration and the one on the jersey. So he changed a game like Cameron Smith did. Every dummy hearth that comes through the rest of the career in the next period of time will be compared to Camera Smith, and those two guys thoroughly deserve every accolade that comes their way.
Speaker 7: I want to talk also about Jonathan Thurston, described by one person one time as the odd couple. You did so many wonderful things together in the harves for Queensland and for Australia. I love the story that you once caught the bus together off to different schools at the time. Did you ever imagine that the two of you would do what you did?
Speaker 8: No, that's the simple answer. We grew up a stone strike away from each other, never really knew each other, knew that our paths across at different stages. But the biggest rap I can give Thurston is the bigger the game, the greater he played, more responsibility, he wanted it and basically when it came down Origin or playing for Australia, all I did was passing the ball and he did the rest. So he's a star, not only a rugular league genius. What he's done for the indigenous community. He's an idol and a lot of players, and the one thing we forget about these players is that there's a lot of kids that tried to do the Jonathan Thurston Show and got junior rugby league across the country when he was doing his thing. So congratulations to.
Speaker 7: Him and Benjie Marshall, of course talk about him. We could talk about all the inductees individually. We will see six women inducted into the Hall of Fame tonight.
Speaker 9: We will see referees for.
Speaker 7: The first time coaches as well, but of course the big one will be the fourteenth mortal. And you know, everybody has an opinion, and you pretty much can't get this one wrong. Cooper, who do you feel deserves to be inducted into Immortality tonight?
Speaker 8: Every on a list deserves that spot. But one thing I will say is that I think Thurston, Smith and Slater will be a mortals. They are on Mortals and I think they deserve to probably go in at the same time. So if I had to choose someone, it's probably someone outside of that, but one of those three could definitely go in tonight. But I think what they dominated same age, best friends, they dominated every arena they played in. I think it'd be very special for the game to put them all in at the same time. But I don't make those decisions, So anyone else on that list deserves it, but those three might get it tonight as well.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well, you get to sit back and enjoy and to put that jacket on tonight. You are forever humble, Cooper, But we think you deserve all of this and we hope you get to enjoy it with Tara tonight.
Speaker 9: Thanks Lars, appreciate it all right, Brad.
Speaker 7: We'll be back a little bit later in the show with some more Hall of Famers.
Speaker 9: Here on the black carpet at the SCG.
Speaker 1: You are, I was doing a fantastic job as usual. Congratulations to the great Cooper Kronk. So seventeen players, two rest, two coaches, and four contributors will be inducted into the Hall of Fame. But the big one, the next a mortal. Let's take a look at the nominees. Bradley Clyde, Ron Coot, Laurie Daily, Brad Fittler, Ken Irvine Brett, Kenny, Alan Leaner, Glenn Lazarus, Darren Lockyer, Billy Slater, Cameron Smith, Peter Sterling and Jonathan Thirst. And now that is a fair list of players. They are the greats of our game. Very hard to choose one from all of them.
Speaker 3: Go well, believe it or not.
Speaker 2: I've played against all of them but three, and that's Sterling, Irvine and Coot. And I think to me, Glenn Lazaris is the greatest front row. I've played with great players. He's the greatest front rower I think in the last forty years years. Alan Langer for me is the greatest Bronco that I played with. And I'll play with so many greats. And I think Bradley Clyde just flies under the raider. I think he's the greatest number thirteen. But anybody on that list could go in there.
Speaker 6: Choose right chooser, you think who I think there?
Speaker 2: I think Allen Langer in my eyes, to be small, to come from where we come from, a little train driver's son from Ipswich that you know just played above his weight if you had all of his highlight packages. When Brisbane r under the pump and I just heard Cooper Krong talking about Thirst and well he scored so many tries and you thought they were luck but he did it every week, and he did it every half. And there's no greater competitor that I played with than Olan Langer. And it's a big statement because Wally Lost wore that jersey as well. But I think ELF's probably the greatest Bronco.
Speaker 4: It's just such an illustrious list you could make a case for everyone one of those candidates. I was a huge fan of Glenn Lazarus as a kid growing up the brick with ice what to play five Premierships at three different clubs. I think he was the first player to do that and wherever he went success simply followed him. Not only did he do it at club level, but then it also translated into success with your South Welles at state of origin and they're also playing Test match football for Australia. Laurie Daley, who knows a great Major osbulldog. I wouldn't have an issue whatsoever if Laws was inducted. He was such a dynamic runner of the football. His combination with Ricky Stewart will always be remembered and celebrated as it should as one of the all time great Harves combinations. And then the one of I thinks a little bit unlucky is Ricky Stewart. There are two half backs on that list in Alan Langer and Peter Sterling. In my opinion, Ricky Stewart absolutely deserves to be.
Speaker 1: On that point, I agree, and Lasso has been lost a little bit in the mix. So we just saw some of his highlights, his achievements phenomenal. You said he's the best front No, you've ever played with a lot of people agree, Bullock thoughts, Yeah, you.
Speaker 10: Look at that list you it is impossible to split. But look the bloke.
Speaker 5: They're running second on the list. Nine Grand finals he won six. He captains Australia. The great Ron Court. I can tell the little story in nine and eighty one when the original Immortals were named, he was a bees you know what from being named in nine and eighty one. So Cootie's waited forty three years and he's been overlooked five times to be inducted.
Speaker 10: In my opinion, it's time. It's time for Ron.
Speaker 6: What do you think he's been able to look?
Speaker 1: We spoke about this last night and like you said, Ron, Kurt's definitely one of the best players's ever played our game. And everyone's got such a high opinion of him, who played with and against him? And is it a surprise that he hasn't been in there yet and he confident he will be.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm confident to be somewhere in the mix, no doubt, Brak. Look, I can't reveal why he hasn't been picked. There's just been probably better players. I've spoken to Ron about this personally, and he has been quite hurt.
Speaker 10: Quite hurt will be a big not He will be heartbroke, devastating. He will be heartbroken.
Speaker 5: But as we've just discussed quite openly, if you miss out to any one of those, you can feel, I guess, not so aggrieved in that you know you've been beaten by an absolute superstar.
Speaker 1: Should the current immortals have been judging on the penalt? Now I'm hearing that Hoops that the penal consists of journalists Buzzes one of them.
Speaker 6: They disrespect the Buzzy.
Speaker 3: I love you.
Speaker 1: But when I heard that, I thought, surely one of our mortals at least who has played Yesteryear and Witness today as well, like still around for the current modern day game, would have been on the panel for judging.
Speaker 4: My opinion, all three should be there melmourn Inger, Wally Lewis, Joey john zare all ornaments to the game. They are in immortality status, so they've earned the right. I also think you need a champion coach, somebody like Awayne Bennett or a Warren Ryan. I think Warren Ryan's unlucky that he isn't also in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 1: You wouldn't you want the brightest minds.
Speaker 2: Of someone like Ash respect Swayne Tim Sheen's and Warren Ryan. You know, then you've got four coaches of the coach with different eras. Yeah, within against a lot of players.
Speaker 4: I think if you do something like that, and then you have bus Right because he's watched five generations foot, you have Ray Hadley because he's watched and called it. Ray Warren should be on that panel. Again, it's only my opinion, but how many generations of footballers did did rabs call? So I think they can fine tune it, but most importantly I'm sure they get the result.
Speaker 1: Well, you guys journo's you're a journo, but you obviously you could see what we're saying here, right, Its hundred percent.
Speaker 5: I wrote about it this morning Breath that some of the people in and around those three were a little bit miffed that they weren't asked to have been on the panel.
Speaker 10: It's clear that they should have been on there.
Speaker 5: We spoke off air about maybe some Hall of Fame members also being on there. I think you can be fine tuned, as you said, Hoops, but I think you need some football.
Speaker 10: Brains on there. And that's no direspect to any of the judges who have done a great job up and doing well.
Speaker 5: The only player right now boardy on there is Wayne Peace, but he's essentially on there as a player and because he's an aarl Well.
Speaker 2: I heard Melon Radio, so that you know the peers like. Getting voted in by your peers just means a lot more. And if you have three immortals there and they vote for you, you know, and might add a little bit more to it.
Speaker 1: All Right, we cross back to the black carpet. Now Lara is with two Queensland champions.
Speaker 7: Here with drew out and out Queensland Australia and club level legends.
Speaker 9: They are now Hall of.
Speaker 7: Famers Jonathan Thurston and Cameron Smith. Jeneralan Welcome to the Sydney Criecker Ground. I'll start with you first, Cam, what's it mean to be amongst this elite group tonight.
Speaker 11: Oh it's pretty special, Lara.
Speaker 12: You know, quite humbling to be honest, to be a part of such a special group, particularly the guys going in tonight played a lot of rugby league with a couple of guys have played against as well, and you know, to be joining some of the greatest players contributors of our game.
Speaker 11: So yeah, it's a really special evening.
Speaker 7: It feels like only yesterday, JT. You two are running around and you're already here. How much you appreciate the history of the game, of being a part of this.
Speaker 13: Very You know, I grew up watching rugby league, playing rugby league as a kid, and never in my wildest dreams and I think I'd be standing here amongst this group of men that I'm about to get inducted with and obviously join the group of men before me as well. So yeah, it's a very special evening and they're very excited.
Speaker 7: We're all waiting to see who's going to be the fourteenth Immortal. For you, Cam, what does that player have to embody?
Speaker 6: Oh, well, I.
Speaker 12: Think you know, playing the game in the right manner, you know, the contribution over a long period of time, I guess, And there's been lots of names tossed about for this evening and who'll be the next to Moortal? You know, there's a guy that's about to walk past us, Ronnie Coud. I think it's a pretty special candidate for that. You know, a couple of guys I looked up to it, and I'm sure JT did as well, Darren Lockyer and Alan Langer very big parts of I guess our youth and guys wanting to live out a dream of being rugby league players watching those two guys go around. So yeah, the guys that have been nominated for tonight's potential naming of the next Imortal all very much deserving and they've all done their part to contribute to rugby league and making it such a special game.
Speaker 7: JD's rattled off an amazing list of players there, but he's not going to say himself. Cam he's among the favorites as well. What does he represent to you in what he's done? I mean he's achieved everything, broken every record.
Speaker 13: Yeah, played a lot of foot with him against him as a kid, alongside him as a kid as well, and then you know some of my greatest memories on a rugby league field hav ingim right beside me.
Speaker 11: So yeah, it's wonderful evening.
Speaker 13: And whoever does get inducted as the fourteenth will be a rest special occasion for that person.
Speaker 11: And yeah, we'll see how the big fun it is.
Speaker 7: We hope you have a wonderful night. Really appreciate you joining us. Enjoy the night with some of your teammates and real legends of the game.
Speaker 11: Thanks so much, great, thanks.
Speaker 1: Laura, Thanks Laura, Kemeren Smith and Jonathan Thurston there and Cameron Smith is one of the clear favorites to gain immortality tonight and what a plary was incredible. His record speaks for itself. Is he going to be named as in them Adel time?
Speaker 3: I think?
Speaker 2: Look, I said on Sunday on radio that if it's a resume and you're going to be the CEO, I think his resume beats everybody there just because of the records that he's broken and what he holds. But it doesn't mean he's the best player. I mean, like there's there's some guys that don't have the same record that are just equal to go in there and then like Ronnie Coot nine Grand Finals and I think Arthur Beacon said he's one of the best players that he played with or again. So they've all got their cases, but there's no doubt Cameron Smith in the years and you know, with all those great I think he stands a little bit above them.
Speaker 5: Four hundred and thirty in our all games cans how many four hundred and thirty the most ever fifty six Test matches and forty two origins. That's equivalent of fourteen Origin series that statistically is untouchable.
Speaker 4: It's nearly five hundred and fifty games in total by the time you put the Premiership games and then kick the rest of them, representative.
Speaker 2: Seventy tackles in the Grand Final against Cronulla in the middle.
Speaker 4: He was a phenomenal player. I think the biggest rap that Cameron gets his in big games. His ability to win was borter on sociopathic and his ability to judge the tempo of the game. If it needed to speed up, he could do it if it needed to be slowed down. He was obviously a genius at getting inside referees heads as well. Along the way, there was an Origin decider Gordy up at SUNCRP. I think it was twenty fifteen and it was one all and leading into the game, all the talk was that Cameron hadn't been running the ball much and had just lost a shandi of speed and did he still have the magic? Was he still going to be able to produce that level? And he just went out shot the lights out in you so well. So I think they won fifty two to six or something like that, but it wasn't good, not for us, but Cameron will always be remembered as just an out and out winner.
Speaker 10: Can I give one more quick wrap? Brett Kenny?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: What do?
Speaker 10: I watched Tim as a kid.
Speaker 5: He's the most naturally gifted rugby league player I've seen in my life, and I've covered the game for thirty five years now. There was no more gifted player, as in a player born to play football than Brett Kenny. There might have been better players, there might have been harder workers, but for natural ability, he was number one.
Speaker 1: So many people players reporters also the same about Bert and they say he's heavily underrated and probably should have got more accolades than what he did was.
Speaker 10: In the Wally era.
Speaker 6: That's rightly a bit of over shadow a little bit.
Speaker 3: He'd probably say Brett Kenny wasn't.
Speaker 4: Burt got a better record when they went head to head in Origin, both wearing problems. Jump up, Brett Kenny beats Wally Lewis that that level. So that's the biggest compliment Ken.
Speaker 10: He bowled out Lewis and Thewty two Kangaroo to it.
Speaker 5: Brett played six on that tour and while he was on the bench and while he went away as vice.
Speaker 1: Captain, one of my absolute phase, who do you reckon breath? I was just about to say, one of my absolute phase. He's my favorite player growing up, and I was lucky enough to meet him at the Bulldogs and train with him. Bradley Clyde, Like, what a machine. This guy was just not only a workhorse, but he had the skill, he had the footwork, he had the speed. I think he's the fittest guy on the game. I mean even he trained with us at the back end at the Bulldogs days and he was an absolute machine. But he was I remember once I went to an Origin and you know when you get down to the fence as a young kid, I was only probably five or six, Haven eight whenever I was and I got a high five from him, and I didn't have a shower for a few days because honestly, I didn't want to.
Speaker 6: Wipe his hand off mine. That's how much I loved him.
Speaker 2: But he's what a player I think eighteen came in. I think he played State of Origin one a Grand Final.
Speaker 3: Played for Australia.
Speaker 2: He was the first guy that would get back, can play and take play too. So how Billy Slater changed the way fullbacks, He changed the way back rollers had to play footy.
Speaker 3: And then I was coming through at the time.
Speaker 2: I think I'm a few years younger than him, But the chase Bradley Clyde and to play with him, it's just unbelievable how he used to play. And I don't think there's been a thirteen or locknumber that I've watched.
Speaker 5: You spect to Lourie Daily, He's played with everybody who's who have rugged the league and he says Bradley Clyde is, without doubt the best player I've ever played with.
Speaker 6: That's a fair that says it all, doesn't it all?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Round twenty five kicks off a like card Oval tomorrow night and mainly coach Anthony sebol says Luke Brooks.
Speaker 6: Is prepared for a hostile homecoming. But Brooks, he's pretty understated.
Speaker 14: So the guy, you know, he's a really good, good person off the field, but he's a quiet guy. You know, he's just got about his business as normal. I feel like he's really grown in confidence. I think some of his performances over the last little period of time have been very, very good.
Speaker 4: Adam Dewey, who is saying that he wants the crowds boom books the exception to there.
Speaker 14: Yeah, yeah, well Adam's a good guy and yeah, look, the Tigers supported are very passionate, so you know they'll turn up in their numbers on Tomorrow night and they'll probably give Brooks a reception. They probably gave him a bitter reception at times when he played for the.
Speaker 3: Club as well.
Speaker 6: But yeah, that's all part of the game.
Speaker 14: It's it's almost done in in the right way and in sort of that good natured way.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yes, Tigers fans West Tigers fans are very passionate and there's no doubt Luke Brooks was going to receive a frosty reception tomorrow night. It was a little bit of a messy finish to his career there at the West Tigers.
Speaker 6: But really Luke Brooks has had the last laugh here.
Speaker 1: He's going to be playing his first final series ever in which he couldn't do it the Tigers, and he's kind of reinvented, rejuvenated his career since moving to merely.
Speaker 4: Of all the current NRL players, Luke Brooks has played more games than any other, and not for Chard in a final. So there is some justice there, I think for Luke. He carried that side for a number of years and had to wear all sorts of bullets and barbs. A lot of it was warranted, a lot of it was fair, but at times it did get quite heated and quite personal. I got no doubt that the crowd there tomorrow will be absolutely winding up and giving.
Speaker 3: Him plenty of working standing on the hill.
Speaker 4: And I'll be on the hill tomorrow, not Gordy.
Speaker 6: Let's be honest.
Speaker 1: It's not like the West Tigers have kicked on since he's left either. They like it's so he might have been copying it for years and maybe it wasn't him himself.
Speaker 5: If they boo him, they are kidding himself when he put his heart and soul on of that joint.
Speaker 10: Didn't win.
Speaker 2: Fans are supposed to do, Gordy, he did you see when Sunny Bill come back and played against the Dogs. I went back plaid against the Dragons. That's what happened.
Speaker 5: But I'm not suggesting fans shouldn't boo players. But I'm saying Luke Brooks's case. He stayed there for ten years ago.
Speaker 6: It is Talus the trainer.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, that wasn't good.
Speaker 2: But Dy've got it right and I love it right mate, I'm saying, so I throwing fifty cent pieces at me, that was zimm and past my head. They'll throwing apples and the police, mate, and the police were handled on back, the apples and the chicken bares. They hit me with everything, the dragon.
Speaker 4: With the flowing locks. But now on Luke Brooks. Look, you're right, Braith. He has been able to rejuvenate his career and the opportunity of this created at Mainly I'm happy for Luke Brooks. He was a punching bag for many years at West Tigers, because of the pay packet that he was on, because of the role that he was in as the number seven and the conductor of the side. If I'm him, I'd be putting the barbecue that the previous administration gave him.
Speaker 6: In the back of the ute, right.
Speaker 4: I dropped that off at like ard Ovil, So you guys can keep this. I don't think he's even started it yet, and I'd be heading into the finals with me.
Speaker 3: No, you didn't get a gas bottle with it. They left that out.
Speaker 6: Where is that?
Speaker 3: But look.
Speaker 6: Where they look for the big woods.
Speaker 3: He went there and we showed the footage last night. They boot him and.
Speaker 1: In sign of his house, James boot every time I touched the ball.
Speaker 4: It's just part of it, you know, you kind of laughing off James, Tedesco, Mitchell Moses, They've all had similar receptions when they've returned there.
Speaker 6: It's all part of the game.
Speaker 3: I got boot at every ground.
Speaker 10: I just didn't like you, I know, all right, I heard it.
Speaker 1: As for the Tigers, they've got bigger problems than Luke Brooks, namely avoiding their third straight Wooden spoon.
Speaker 15: Yeah, of course, yeah, no one likes to win it. But at the same time, we're still fighting for sixteenth and seventeenth, which is not where we want to be. Obviously, you know, but we are where we are and we want to do our best trying get to win this week. Well, it's the elephant in the room. Like you know, if you don't talk about it, what do you get out of it? So we might just address it. And we all agreed that we didn't want to get it, but at the same time, like we still.
Speaker 3: A lot of work to do to avoid it.
Speaker 15: But again we've got to win tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it had to be addressed. Well said there from Benji Marshall. That win last week against the Bunnies is he's got them in a position where they can avoid their third straight wooden spoon and to be gay like against Manly who are traveling well at the moment.
Speaker 6: What about the Tigers dog? What have he thought about them?
Speaker 10: My elephant in the room is not so much the wooden spoon this year.
Speaker 5: My elephant in the room is the first six to eight rounds next year.
Speaker 10: Benji's been there for two years now.
Speaker 5: He wasn't head coach last year or beat Most people thought he was pulling the strings. In two years they've won nine games nine If they start pauling next year, I'm not suggesting Benzi will be sacked, but I am suggesting that club management might now start to say, Okay, we need to see some improvement here.
Speaker 10: Otherwise changes have to be made.
Speaker 3: Have we saw enough out of the kids?
Speaker 2: Because they're young and they've got a taste, they've got a whole precession, you think that they should go a little bit better with a little bit of first grade that they've got this year.
Speaker 4: The positives are Jering Buller is injured at the moment, but he's clearly marked his name down as he is going to develop in or superstar. Galvin looks a player of the future. Some of those passes he threw for Trials in that victory against South were as good as you'll see. Happy Chius Out is just an absolute rock right who holds aside together. And then you can look at like the edge back row as Samuel Finu. There's been improvement in some of the younger generation of players across the board. I think Benji's okay next year, but I think if the results continue to go down the same trajectory as they have over the last three seasons. With Jerome Lewi and with Sonny Charuva also into the.
Speaker 6: That kind of feeds into Dog's point.
Speaker 1: There is that with those players improving, which they seem to have improved, and then Jerome Leui coming to the club, they'd want to see some results early on next year, and if they don't, then you're suggesting the drums might be beating that.
Speaker 10: Well, I'm just saying, Broth.
Speaker 5: If you were a director, or you were in the club management or a fan or a fan, yeah, I mean I can say this. I know there's some high people at the West Tigers who are still waiting quote unquote to see whether Benji can coach.
Speaker 10: Have we seen it yet? I can't see a lot of improvement. Whops.
Speaker 5: You say there's improvement, Yes, here's kids coming through, But there's no category on a competition ladder that says kids coming through. It says W and L, and there's more L than W.
Speaker 4: When you looked at that roster at the start of the season, they bulldog they.
Speaker 5: Were Where did they're a semi final side?
Speaker 4: No? I did you think that they'd be competing for anything other than the spoon?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 5: But I did think that the new Benji era, which was thrown at us with plenty of fanfare, might produce something than what we're seeing right now.
Speaker 2: I didn't think the Dragons were and I didn't think the Dogs would be going as well. I thought the Dogs were chances, you know, sitting around the eight, I didn't think the Dogs would be going well.
Speaker 4: For examples of good coaching, Clearly they made changes and it didn't work out for Cameron Serraldo in his first season at Canterbury banks Down, but he made more adjustments over the summer and they got it right. He brought players in Lewis is a huge sign for the Tigers. I don't think we're going to underestimate that. I reckon we've got to give Benji a little bit of latitude brought.
Speaker 10: On around six or eight.
Speaker 1: We deserves a full season next year. But you know, if there's no doubt that if they struggle like they have this year next year for the majority of the season, certain you'll be in trouble, especially.
Speaker 4: When you've got coaches like Sam Burgess over in England having as much success as Ease. Willie Peters is on fire over in England at the moment, with a roster that I don't think anybody expected to do anything, So there's always options.
Speaker 6: Speaking of Sam Burgess.
Speaker 1: Let's cross back to the SCG Lara pitt Is with the twenty fourteen Clive Churchill Medallist.
Speaker 7: Well, he's the first Englishman to be inducted into Rugby League's Hall of Fame and he's made, of course the very special trip out to be he Sammy Burgers. A bit of jet lag, but absolutely worth it. What does it mean to the boy from Jewsbury to have this honor?
Speaker 16: Yeah, it's actually thrilled to be here first and also thrilled to be inducted. Really, to be honest, we're totally honest, but not many things made me almost like chuffed, But I was really chuffed really, and I was over the moon when I spoke to Graham over the phone and then the opportunity to come back. Peter was brilliant in making sure I could get back and it could make it work in the schedule. So yeah, it's great. I got my mom with me tonight. She's over the moon as well. She's happy. But yeah, jet like, I don't know what day is, I don't know what time it is.
Speaker 11: Happy to be here.
Speaker 7: You're inducted alongside your South's teammate g I can you believe nearly a decade, a decade since that heroic premiership.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it's unbelievable.
Speaker 16: Earlier, I'm not seeing a lot of great since we sort of both finished. But I went to Bondi Junction yesterday to see MG Ball and first block I bumped into in Australia's great English.
Speaker 11: He's doing the same thing.
Speaker 16: So yeah, I was like, oh wow, it's great to see him. It was almost the first block I saw off the flight, so.
Speaker 3: It's great to see him.
Speaker 11: And I'm thrilled that I said to him yesterday.
Speaker 16: Actually I said when I got the call to be inducted, I was really nervous. I better help Gregg's in because if his not, I'm going to step back and give it to.
Speaker 11: Him because I have felt really embarrassed. But now he's such a phenomenal player.
Speaker 16: And I think all of the especially in our era, the ones that have been selected, just such amazing players.
Speaker 11: So I was, yeah, I was absolutely thrilled.
Speaker 7: You've got two jobs tonight, you're going to get your jacket and you've been given the late call up for the great man himself, Wayne Bennett.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 16: Well Wayne rang me this morning said well you collect my jacket. For me, said you can't make it. Unfortunately, it had been great to see him because obviously great friends with him. But yeah, I collecked his jacket. I collected his jacket and in Wayne style, I want say too much.
Speaker 11: Yeah, yeah, I keep it shorting So.
Speaker 7: Yeah, okay, and then you've got to get quickly back on the play because you're the game on Friday.
Speaker 9: Is that right?
Speaker 16: Yeah, that's right. We play Friday night back in Super League. We've got Castle for the over there. So my staff have been great, they've run the week. My team are actually they're really we're really in a good little swing at the moment, so the things are just running themselves. I senior guards are taking over. So it's alloted on the opportunity to come back. But we've got a big game Friday night and chasing the top spot really, so it's been an exciting time.
Speaker 9: It's an exciting time.
Speaker 7: And congratulations you dashed back to Sydney, take that Hall of Fame jacket with you back to the UK and enjoyed the moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Thanks, Lara, the great semi Burgess, the first Pomme inducted into the NL Hall of Fame. He gave me call this morning. Actually he's very excited. He made the quick trip over and as Lara just alluded to, he's got to get back for his for Warrington and only a couple of days.
Speaker 6: What a big effort to get here.
Speaker 1: But what a player, what a beast, what a machine, what an intimidator.
Speaker 6: One of the great TV games. Gordy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think to play on the edge to come out. I remember when he landed, he was twenty one, he was at South was absolutely outstanding. Play on the edge and be devastating playing the mill and be as tough and ferosius as anybody that's played the game. And he's a leader of men. There's one thing about Sam. He's a leader of men. He always took on the bullies, which I'd love to have played with him.
Speaker 4: One of the best compliments I've heard anyone give Sam was when Bobby McCarthy said he would have made any South Sydney pack of any era. And you think of all the champing forwards from Sadler to O'Neill to Coote the McCarthy for him to get that rap, that just underlines the impact that Sam had on that club and also the narrative of the way he was able to help the Bunny smash that forty three season premiership drought. Those scenes will never ever be forgotten.
Speaker 5: You look at him, Hoops, he was, as you said, both just a beast. But he would have, no doubt made that pack the late sixties early seventies which had O'Neills and the Settlers, et cetera. He was as good he would have made that pack. And that alone is the highest acolade you can give a penny.
Speaker 6: We've got you's got two jobs tonight He's picked up jacket.
Speaker 2: I'm a little bit disappointed for the game because I've been to so many Broncos presentations. When Wayne talks, it's just it's so beautiful about the game, and I know what it means to him. And when you've got Sam flying out from England that's made a rush trip and I jump on the plane every week for work, and I know it can be a pain in the bottom, you know, when you're coaching and you're but you know the respect for the game is Wayne coming there and grabbing that jacket because I know how much he loves the game and what the game's meant to him. I think I'm a little bit disappointed for Way not talking and getting up there and getting the jacket in front of all those people.
Speaker 6: All Right, thank you, hoops, straight work, bulldog, one of your best. Thank you.
Speaker 1: All right up next to the Legends Agenda with Jeff Tuvy and Billy Moore, and as we count down to the Hall of Fame ceremony where the games next Immortal will be revealed,