Speaker 1: Maddie Rows Music Show on nov HI. It's Maddie Row and each week I get on an artist, an Australian artist that I believe is having a bit of a moment. It could be an established artist, it could also be an up and coming artist. And this girl really excites me. There is something about her stage presence, her live show as well as the music that is super genuine and she is really having a moment the Hottest one hundred number one with Flume. She also went on tour with Wallows across Europe, and she was on tour with Five Seconds of Summer in Australia recently as well welcoming Mayor to the Maddie Ros Music Show.
Speaker 2: Hi, what's up?
Speaker 1: Did I just hear off air that this is your first ever entrance into a radio station.
Speaker 2: It is. It's very overwhelming. There is a lot of technology in here.
Speaker 1: Those Sydney studios are multi million dollar studios, so you're getting the full works right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous. I was just saying, I feel like I'm in some weird a movie or something. With all of the screens. It feels like I have way too much control. I might go power hungry and here actually.
Speaker 1: Speaking of overwhelming things, you've had an overwhelming I guess six to twelve months you're on tour with five Sauce or you were on tour with five Sauce, and then you're in Europe and then you're winning the Hottest one hundred. How does it feel now to have a bit of a breath and a break because you're back in Sydney now, right?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, back in Sydney, which is lovely to come back and be with all the beautiful people that I've been missing upon being away. But yeah, definitely feels like I woke up from a weird lucid dream or something.
Speaker 1: Because you're ticking off things that so many Australian artists would love to tick off the bucket list. How do you stay grounded through all of these amazing things that are happening in your music career? Like do you pull yourself in? Do you really your own self in or do you have a good network of people that kind of say, all right, this is all happening, but let's come down to earth now, maya.
Speaker 2: I do think it's kind of the opposite way around, where it's just more people being like, come on, You've got to appreciate the things that are happening to you. And I'm like, yeah, I know, I know, I know, I gotta I've got to call it what it is and sort of be a bit proud of myself sometimes rather than the other way around. But yeah, I have a beautiful, beautiful group of people, are a wonderful team and an amazing band of people that are like my best friends that are really good at doing that and being like, Hey, just take a moment to just be a little proud of yourself at this point and what I think I need that more than the other side.
Speaker 1: What are you proudest of? What's what's been the proudest moment for you in the last six twelve months.
Speaker 2: Honestly, it's more like it's less being proud in a moment and more being proud like upon reflection, like getting to the end of something and looking back and being like, Wow, we really did that. I think it's probably playing live because we've only been a band for like two years now and have only played collectively, like I don't know, before the Wallows tour, I think it was like thirty shows or something, and getting feedback from people saying stuff like you know that you look like you've been a band like longer than you guys have been alive, and I'm like, wow, that's a really big compliment for one and two, Yeah, that's kind of what I'm proud of. And the part that is the most exciting for me right now is playing life and being in front of people, and for most of the most people, it's the first time sort of seeing us or hearing about me or my music or us as band. Yeah, that's the most exciting part for me right now.
Speaker 1: And I can tell that you and the band are pretty close knit. I remember watching that reaction video of you winning the Hottest one hundred or you hearing the second place song, and I reckon. I looked at it and watched it about fifteen times because I love watching people experience joy. And I could tell that you were shocked and you were overwhelmed by it. Uh, what is that feeling?
Speaker 2: Like? So weird? I don't think I'll be able to explain it. It's so weird. I didn't Yeah, I didn't have words for it then. I still don't have words for it now. It was also so cool to be I have like been with all of them yeah when that was happening, just because again they were sort of the ones being like, what, what the hell's going on? And I was like, oh, yeah, what the hell is going on?
Speaker 1: This is kind of crazy, And it's crazy because with such success like that, being the number one spot with flum for the Hottest one hundred comes the opposite end of things, where you, I mean, the internet is a binfire for comments. Did you read through them on the day or did you kind of avoid it and just soak in it.
Speaker 2: I still haven't read through them. I don't think I will. There was definitely a part we were talking about it before the Host one hundred where I was like, low key, I kind of hope becomes second because second place tends to get the most positive responses of like this should have won, like you were robbed, and if you win, it's always the opposite. It's always like it should have been something else. But you know, people are always going to say things, and I think that's just one thing that I was like, I'm just gonna let myself have this as a nice thing for myself rather than ruin it by reading what other people have to say. Because at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter and it doesn't change what happened.
Speaker 1: So absolutely, and you do absolutely deserve every bit of success that you're having at the moment. And I feel like I have that problem too, where I don't appreciate the things in the moment and don't appreciate the good things that are happening. So make sure you do that for yourself because it's so important. And as the journey goes on, you're going to have so many greater successes. How do you think you're gonna beat all of these things? Because I hear of people getting the number one hit and then they're like, well, okay, but how do I get the next one? That's kind of happened for you in a way, what is next? And how do you beat that?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I think you have to gauge successes differently, like different levels of success of like different metrics, I guess, and it might be like a personal thing rather than something that uh outwardly looks really successful. Like for right now, I'm just trying to make really honest music that I can put out and really really believe in and get to the core of like what I want to say and I really want to put out like an intentional project that has a lot of backing and that like I back personally rather than like has external people being like, yeah, this is the shit. It's more like I truly believe everything that I'm saying. That's kind of my next goal, my next thing that I'm focusing on. But that's yeah, that's like an internal win because no one else can really tell you if you believe something or not.
Speaker 1: You know totally, And I think that's the key to it all is doing things for you and winning in your own in your own way, and having not letting the outside effect what's going on, you know. So I think that's really good. And you've obviously got your head screwed on and you're ready for that next big moment, and I mean you're in it right now. So yeah. And speaking of genuine music and making that genuine music, a new single out it's called Your Funeral. You actually posted on Instagram recently gay things Coming. And I'm assuming that's music video because I saw are you getting a cheeky on screen kiss? Is that what's happening?
Speaker 2: I don't know, we'll find out.
Speaker 1: Okay, speaking of gay things, did you partake in the World Pride festivities because I was there a couple of weeks ago and my body is still unwell.
Speaker 2: Oh same, Yeah, I'm surprised I didn't see you, to be honest.
Speaker 1: Well, I did see the crew hanging out. Was it at Heaps Gay?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yes? Were you there? Yeah? Yes, I was there.
Speaker 1: That was a wild.
Speaker 2: Night, definitely, definitely was Yes. I think I was running away, to be honest, I think that I just kept running away for some reason. But that's why you saw everybody button me. I was probably somewhere else, but I was there.
Speaker 1: Yes, Because people talk about this World Pride thing because there's the day party and then the pre drinks to the night party, and then there's the after party and then you go all again. These gays were really trying to murder us all Oh, I was going to say.
Speaker 2: That's what I've been saying the whole Pride month. The gays are trying to kill me.
Speaker 1: And they've already put out the save the date for Marty Grant twenty twenty four, and I'm like, Jesus, come on, guys, let's calm down for a bit. But speaking of the gay things and all of that, coming back to the genuinity and your music. You really do showcase sexuality through your music and your funeral is one of those things where you're talking about toxic girls and falling for the toxic girl. What's a red flag for you? What's one that you just simply choose to ignore?
Speaker 2: Oh, there are so many. I don't think you can boil it down to one, to be honest.
Speaker 1: What about talking about x's on the first date, because that's something I feel like that's the queer girl first date experience. It's the bonding experience.
Speaker 2: Really. Definitely, definitely no X talk on a first date, for sure.
Speaker 1: Have you done it?
Speaker 2: Yes? We always do it, don't we? I don't know. We are the toxic traite. The fact that you're going out with me is your toxic trade.
Speaker 1: I love that you flipped the script in the song though, where you're talking about toxic girls and falling for the ones that aren't good for you, but then you're also saying, well, I'm also toxic. I am the toxic one.
Speaker 2: Definitely, definitely, Yeah. I think that was It was fun writing that song because it actually was a complete joke. I was like, what can I make sound like a classic? Like la Rap Dude vibe because we got like stuck in the studio and then it kind of came out and I was like, wait, this is kind of funny and good at the same time. And then by the time we got to the bridge, I was like, okay, I gotta stop being stupid for a minute and like, actually get real. So we did like a sort of double bridge situation where yeah, it got more real and it was like, hey, I'm actually the problem, probably as much as you are, but that's why this is never gonna work. Yeah, I don't know. Flipping it there was it made it a little bit more sentimental than just kind of like you're hot, but we're not good together.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, And I feel like that's the common denominator in pretty much any queer relationship, but also just any relationship in general. I mean dating in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's a dumpstify.
Speaker 1: It is so bad. I feel like more than ever it's isn't the worst it's ever been.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I mean we can never really tell, but I think that right now. Yeah, in the attention economy, nobody wants something that's constant, I think, because everything is just more interesting all the time.
Speaker 1: Are you are swite?
Speaker 2: Oh god, I was like two years ago. And then I realized that every it's just like a game show or something because I started using it like that. I was like, damn, who likes me? Back? Cool? Never engage in conversation? Uh huh.
Speaker 1: I feel like I do it when I'm low key hungover and you just want a little ego do you want? You want somebody to tell you that you're pretty, and then you won't engage in conversation path that point. Okay, I got my little fix, my little ego fix, and now I'm done.
Speaker 2: It's another dopamine here. It's just another one of those things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so may I what's on for twenty twenty three? What's what's the plan? You've got this new song at your funeral, which we're going to get on. But what's next? More shows, obviously.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm yeah, more shows, hopefully putting out an EP at some point in this next run of months. I don't know if I was allowed to say that. I was. That's good.
Speaker 1: You're getting the nod of approval.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: More dating? Are we? Are we dating more toxic people?
Speaker 2: Oh? Probably, it's not really on the cards intentionally.
Speaker 1: But it will be you're too busy, You're too busy for it.
Speaker 2: I always say that, and then yes, no, you fall back in yeah constantly. I don't know what why, but.
Speaker 1: You know why. It's because of songs like this. You get to write really good songs out of it.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I'm putting myself in these situations intentionally to try and get something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do it for the pot always, always may I thank you so much for joining the Maddie row Oz Music Show. It's been a pleasure.
Speaker 2: Oh thanks for talking to me. Music show over