Speaker 1: So let's save the sock energy for like emails or creating an app that will make you and your family really rich.
Speaker 2: Hello guys, and welcome back to Stepping Up.
Speaker 1: I have so much good stuff in store for you today this episode. I actually created it based off a post I did a couple months ago that went viral, Like I'm saying, over a million views, and look, we know that that's not why we post, like it's not always to go viral, but it just showed how many people needed this information. And it's funny because a lot of the things I put in this viral post where I didn't think they were that revolutionary, and I guess they're not, but they help so so much. So as the title suggests, this is eight weird systems I do for my ADHD brain. Now I want to just say that this is for everyone, Like, you don't have to have ADHD to need these systems. You don't need to you know, feel like you need a diagnosis to follow these systems.
Speaker 2: This is for people who.
Speaker 1: Live in the world as we do today, where it's busy, it's chaotic, where I feel like we're dropping balls all the time, and you just constantly are forgetting things as well, which is not hard to do when there's just so much happening. When you think about it, you know, we live in an age of technology, and that is fantastic. Obviously this is my job, but at the same time, it's very distracting and it can be really overstimulating for everyone. So it is very common they're seeing people's attention spans are shorter, like we are more forgetful, and it's just because we have so many things going on around us. So this episode is for any human being who just wants some really good life hacks, some systems to make your life work with you and also with your brain as well. Now, before I get into it, a little bit of a life update, So I, of course, as this title suggests as well, I'm really into systems and systemaizing. And I know that sounds gross because I'm very much a creative person and like logistics and systems aren't really my thing. Well so I thought, but when you think about it, you know, I'm known online for like organization and the pantry, all those things, and technically those things are systems and I, as you guys know, I am MS. I forget, I'd forget my own head. If it wasn't attached to my neck, I was gonna say, shoulders, what's the saying? I'm this is like side note, I get every saying wrong. Like I said the other day down the hatchet instead of down the hatch, and.
Speaker 2: Then I said, like, and I just I do get a bit self conscious over it because I do feel like a bit stupid.
Speaker 1: But I just always say very common sayings wrong, even things like the sharpest tool in the shed. I said the brightest tool in the shed, like it's concerning, and when I hear it back, I'm like, that's not right, Steph, that's not right. Anyway, now I've already forgotten what I'm talking about, so obviously, yeah.
Speaker 2: Sorry.
Speaker 1: So I'm very much into life hacks, you know, I love AI all those things and just making life easier. And I think for me it's just because you know, my whole life, I've really ruggled to do basic tasks. So one thing I've noticed, and this is something I've only just started paying attention to in my thirties, is really working with my cycle. So my mental cycle. This is really sexy topic, but it's important. And look, I will admit i'm the first one to be like when people were saying, like, on this part of my cycle, that's why I feel like this. I honestly it was a bit silly and I really didn't think much of it. I was like, as if it's going to affect us that much, But then ten days before my period, I feel like the world is ending and I don't even realize, Like you don't you kind of because it kind of just comes on suddenly, and then you finally get your period and you're like, oh, my life doesn't suck.
Speaker 2: It's fine.
Speaker 1: So I started really paying attention to this, and this is because I noticed.
Speaker 2: I was like, why is there some weeks where I.
Speaker 1: Feel really good and confident and in some weeks I feel like a bag of potatoes and I don't want to camera in my face and I don't want to socialize, and like even having a conversation with the checkout late it will just makes me want to cry. And it really does come down to our hormones, like we have a twenty eight day hormone cycle. And so this could be a whole other podcast. I'm going to try and make this quick, but basically what I'm trying to get at is I started taking note of where I was in my cycle and these certain feelings and emotions I was feeling, and I found that, yeah, ten days before my period, which is your luteal phase, which sucks, like leave me alone lu to your phase is what we'll call it. I just don't want to, you know, go out and do the things. I don't want to socialize. I don't want to film anything, which is kind of hard when you do what I do for work. And then I noticed as soon as I got my period, I was really good at making decisions, Like I'm really good at making decisions where normally I struggle, so I know, and I'm also oddly good at decluttering when I have my period. So when I have my period, I will cull things like I'm ruthless. And then obviously there's other parts of your period where it's at your cycle, where you are.
Speaker 2: Feeling more confident and things like that.
Speaker 1: So for me making this work around my work, and I know we all can't do this, but I'll give you an example of what you can do later. Is so if it's like a week before my period, I will try not to like I won't even record in here because I also turn in my brain turns to mush. I won't do like videos, none of that. I would sit down and do more like admin more just like I can still do deep work, but I just don't want to be Yeah, just like out there, not like performative. But you get what I'm saying. And then when I have my period, I will be culling, making big decisions, decluttering, doing the things. And then other parts of my cycle, I will go and have dinner with friends, or I'll you know, be in front of camera or do all those things. So for you whose job is different than mine, obviously we can't control what we do at work, but coming like even going down to like deciding to maybe you know, your friends ask you out for dinner. Ten day's sweet period, maybe just say hey, let's do it next week or when you know you feel good. So yeah, just kind of mapping out your life where you can hand to work with your cycle. So you know, trying a new gym class maybe not the greatest idea to do in your ludial phase, but do it, you know, after your period.
Speaker 2: Or whatever works for you. So just like tailoring in that.
Speaker 1: To you, which now leads me into these weird systems that work for my ADHD brain. Now, as I said, I decided to make this an episode because of the post that I did that went viral, because I had never received so many dms from people saying thank you so much for this. And again, we do really underestimate little hacks and things that we work out ourselves at home. And I think I'm sure you've you know, experienced this before where maybe you share a hack with a friend and they think it's amazing, and you just assume maybe people know that. So this is just really comes down to, you know, not being afraid to share things because you can really really help other people. Now, this episode is going to be really really helpful because like that post, you know, it didn't do these systems justice. It's you know, only so many slides. But like today, I'm want to be doing a deep dive into every system. Some of them don't need to be that deep. Let's be honest that there's a sock thing which we will get to. But I think this is really really going to help you guys. And I would love if you guys, when you listen to this, please tag me on Instagram and tell me what one of the systems that you loved, or even better, take a photo when you're doing this system or if you've implemented it and yet tag us because I would love love to share and see what you guys have been doing so weird. System Number one is doing the weekly brain dump, and again not revolutionary, but I think once you realize why this is important and it's not just me talking for the sake of it, which yes I do that as well, and the science behind it, you will understand why this is so important. Because, as you guys know, I'm not super woo woo. I'd love to be more woo woo, but I love to know the facts and like the science behind things to do them like that really motivates me.
Speaker 2: So if I can get like a.
Speaker 1: Little bit of a stat I'm not going to bore you with it, but knowing how your brain works and why is going to actually make you start doing weekly brain dumps every Sunday or Monday morning or whenever you want to do it. So for me, this looks like every Sunday afternoon or night, depending on how I'm feeling, or sometimes I'll even do it on a Friday afternoon because you know, maybe you'll finish work or finish that week, and you don't want to forget where you like you're left off on Monday. So it is also a really good idea if you are forgetful like me, to maybe start doing your brain dumps on a Friday afternoon if.
Speaker 2: That works for you.
Speaker 1: So basically, I'll set a timer for ten minutes because for me, I work well, all of us we do tend to work better under pressure. You will do the things much faster. So for me, I was spending too long at this, so I started doing a time off ten minutes and I will brain dump everything that's in my brain, because we need to remember our brains aren't really meant for storage. I will have random facts in there that do not help me whatsoever, but they're in there, and I was like, I would love to like clear that space and put something more important in its place, but it doesn't work like that.
Speaker 2: So this is where we use.
Speaker 1: Things like planners, notebooks. You know, if you've heard of second brain, like you can build yourne second brain digital and it's just very very helpful because when you think about it, For me especially have I get very heightened anxiety and stress when I'm trying to remember the things, and these are always the weeks if I've forgotten this brain dump step, and that's because I'm trying to hang on to it all our brain. Like for us to feel good and also to be creative, you do need to be able to lighten the mental load which is remembering the things. So you know this is called brain dumping, which I'll go it through my little thing in a minute, is actually called cognitive offloading. So research from the University of Waterloo shows that writing things down freeze up working memory, and people with ADHD we have limited working memory, so compared to neurotypical people, we will couldn't say and this is obviously not everyone, but as an example, we will remember about two to three items where neurotypical can remember five to seven. Kind of not fair in my opinion. So this is not optional for us. This is essential to be doing this cognitive offloading.
Speaker 2: So if you want to call.
Speaker 1: It that, you can, but I think brain dump sounds a bit better. I even like if it's before bed I'll call it a bedside brain dump. And it just helps you kind of turn it into a bit of a ritual every day, week or whenever you want to do it. And that's why we You know, when you think about it, you know, you try to remember the things you forget. You're late to an appointment, you forgot to pack Johnny's lunch or buy him new sports clothes for the next week, and you get angry at yourself for that, like you do think Like for me, I can get quite angry at myself.
Speaker 2: I think it's a sign of my intelligence, which which is it's not at all.
Speaker 1: But you know, your brain is trying to hold forty seven things at once, but it's only got the storage room for like a few It's like trying to make a bunch of people live together in a small room. It's going to turn into an absolute shit show. So you know, just try to remember that. Okay, maybe maybe write it down, don't try and remember it that. You know, doing things like brain dumps isn't because you're not it's because it's literally not We're not designed to remember all the things. We're not a Google drive. Yeah, your brain is not a Google drive. So brain dump, let it out and then we can move on to the next things. So what does a brain dump look like? So again, you set your timer you sit down, you got your notebook, your SPP planner, whatever you have, and I want you to again write everything down.
Speaker 2: If you want.
Speaker 1: You can do categories if you want to put like life, kids, Home, But for me, I kind of just like to just write whatever comes in my brain. It could sometimes it's not even a task. Is this something that I thought of and you just let it all out. So once you've done your writing, it could even be a couple of minutes. It could be you know, by Johnny's sports clothes. You know, in a month, I've got this appointment. Oh I need to fill in this form like all those annoying life admin tasks, but even just other things like if you have a really cool idea, or maybe there was something on Instagram you saw when you're scrolling and you want to check that out later, just dump it all down so there's no order, no judgment, just get it out and then this is where I sought it. So in my planners, I have a monthly brain dump page, but again weekly is best. But your monthly brain up dump page is very helpful for obviously the big things for that month. But what you'll see is what's different about my planners is I make them for people like me and you know, people who just need little gentle nudges and reminding, but also I've got it. So the brain dump page is actually broken up into four sections, so you can make these sections whatever you want. So for me, I usually do life slash personal, and then I'll do usually each business so I'll have like SPP or have personal brand, and then I also have home.
Speaker 2: So that's how I like to do it.
Speaker 1: But this will change also each month, so sometimes I might really need to focus just on YouTube or the pod or whatever, and that's what will make my sections. So for you, you can break it up into life sections. But what you want to do is grab a highlighter and then just highlight what's urgent, what's this week, So anything that you know is more time sensitive, you want to really highlight that, and then also cross out anything on that list that you don't need to do or you can delegate, So wherever you can delegate or delete, do that, So just cross it out. And also, you know, this is where it's going to get really good for you to learn to ask for help because we don't ask that enough.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that's what you're going to do.
Speaker 1: Sort it out, and then anything that's urgent or needs to be done that week, you do write in your planner and I'll do a whole other episode on how I plan my week because I think that's going to be really, really helpful because one of the biggest dams I get is how do I use my planner? And I actually have a guide in the planner of course, with a QR code on telling you how to use it. But if you like to be able to hear it and like talk it out, I will do an episode on that for you guys. And here's a little hack for this. If you're someone like me, if you're out and about and you remember something and you don't want to.
Speaker 2: Forget it, I I'll get into another episode.
Speaker 1: Is I like I text myself, So don't be scared to text yourself. Use your notes at but please remember to go back in there and look at it to write into your planneer later.
Speaker 2: Now moving on to.
Speaker 1: Wed system number two, is I only own one type of sock?
Speaker 2: It's mind blowing, isn't it. This is just revolutionary content.
Speaker 1: But this is just an example of how to make your life easier.
Speaker 2: So seven years ago I threw out all my socks.
Speaker 1: Okay, not all of them, but I kept the ones that were just like my favorite ones, which were just white, just boring white, and everything else got thrown in the bit.
Speaker 2: Now, the reason I did this.
Speaker 1: Is because I probably was in my alluvial face of my period and I was hating life. But I was trying to match my socks and I would always lose a pair, like lose one half of the pair, and it was just something I just hated. And I also got over this even more so once I had kids, because there's nothing worse than trying to match an adult sized pair of socks, but doing a kid's size pair of socks is much much worse. So I now have I purchased about fifteen pairs of the same type of sock.
Speaker 2: It's all just white.
Speaker 1: So this means when I do the washing and things, I compare whoever up together. It's kind of like a swinger situation for SoC addition, and I can't tell you how much easier it's made laundry, because I think it's just going down the path of the least amount of micro decisions ever, because you need to think about it, the amount of decisions we make every day is a substantial amount. So if we can just simplify that down to even having the same type of sock in the house, even the kids, they all have the same type, like in the same size as well for my kids, because it just makes life easier. You don't have to add the extra steps in there. And there's also the least resistance. So for me, I didn't realize, but when I had to do washing, subconsciously, I'm thinking about the sock thing, I don't want to do this, so I would likely not do the washing and then it would get insane, where now it's not as hard.
Speaker 2: And I've also got a laundry system now.
Speaker 1: So anything you can do just to make alleviate the pressure and the micro decisions do it. And obviously that comes down to, as I said, is decision fatigue and the micro decisions. So every decision costs mental energy and our brain is super lazy. If you didn't realize that already, I actually talked about that in an episode called Your Brain is a Goal Blocker, So listen to that, because yeah, matching socks is a micro decision, and that's dozens and dozens of decisions before it's even eight o'clock in the morning. So research from the Columbia University found that the more decisions people make, the worse the quality of subsequent decisions. So by removing sock making, you're banking that energy for something actually matters.
Speaker 2: So let's save the sock.
Speaker 1: Energy for like emails or creating an app that will make you and your family really rich. So this sock thing isn't actually about socks. It's the principle. If a system requires too many micro decisions, remove them. So if we apply the sock theory to everything in our lives, it will be so much easier. And these can look like having the same type of drink podole for each child, so you know, yet that's Johnny's. You know why I keep Johnny's just a really good example. If there's a Johnny out there, I should probably give you like a discount code for planners or something at this point. So you're getting like each child their own type of drink bottle, so you know that that's theirs.
Speaker 2: Or another one could be.
Speaker 1: You know, like for me, this is one I do is having the same breakfast every single day. Then I don't have to think, but I do love having the same food every single day as well. But yeah, things like that and having the same weekly meals on rotation for dinner.
Speaker 2: Sort it.
Speaker 1: And I know I'm gonna get asked this, so I buy my socks off Amazon. So there you go, all right, So weird system Number three is my planner lives on the bench always and open. It always has to be open, so not in my bag, not in a drawer, open, face up, always visible for me to see. And for me, that's because for myself and many people with ADHD, it's out of sight, out of mind. If it's literally not in my face, I will forget it, and that sadly includes people, but that's more of an autism thing. But anyway, I digress. So if it's not in front of me, I will forget it. That's why people we use walk calendars and things like that, because it is a prompt for our brain and that actually again has science behind it, like behavioral scientists say that the number one predictor if someone is actually going to do a behavior or start a new habit is whether they have a prompt for it. So no prompt equals no behavior. So say you want to start running, I don't know why I always use this example. But anyway you want to start running, if your runners always tucked away or hidden or maybe you're I.
Speaker 2: Don't know what else do people were running?
Speaker 1: Like the little packs on their back where they drink through the little straws anyway, you know what I'm trying to say, like the is it got a bladder?
Speaker 2: Anyway? One of those.
Speaker 1: If you don't have them out, you're going to forget. So every time you see your joggers when you wake up, be like, oh yeah, I'm going to go for a run. Or even better, to even make this even better is having your clothes, your workout clothes laid out. That is just the best pack as well is another one of my systems. But it is a visual prompt and that's going to make you actually follow through with the habit or behavior and when you think about it too, something like a planner that is something that you're constantly going to be writing in. Again, if you are out and about do the thing I said with the notes app or texting yourself. But if you don't have it open, when you get asked to do an extra task or you remember something, it's not available to you as easily to write it down, and then you have the extra micro steps or you know, micro decisions with which is open the get the planner out of your bag, open it up, find a pen, and then write in it. You're not going to do that because we are lazy, our brains are lazy, or we're not lazy, our brain is lazy. So make it as simple as possible for yourself.
Speaker 2: And especially if.
Speaker 1: This is like a family planner, you want people to see what's going on, So leave it open. I literally will leave it even on the kitchen bench if I'm not in my office that day, because again I will forget weird. System Number four is alarms for starting, not just arriving. So what I mean by that is I will set an alarm obviously, So say you've got a hair dresser appointment at three, Normally I would set an alarm for like maybe quarter to three, which kind of goes into this, but quarter to three for going to the appointment. But the thing is with that, for me, it's either things are either now or not now, and if it's not now, it's also not my problem until it is my problem when I'm late. So for me, I need alarms to actually get me started and What I mean by that is getting ready. Do I need to shower? Do I need to eat? Do I need to put makeup on? Do I need to do any of those things? And if so, set alarms for them. So let's I'm going to a three pm hair appointment. I will then set an alarm at one to be like, hey, we're going in like an hour of forty five minutes, and it will say, you know, it could say have a shower, it could say eat whatever. And then I'll have another alarm that actually says start getting ready, as in like get dressed, tat yourself out, and then I'll have the next alarm, which actually means to leave. But usually I also have a buffer in there as well, because if I'm focused on something and my alarm goes off, sometimes I'll just be like, oh yep, I'll leave in a sec, and then I'll just stop the alarm. But I always will go back in the zone and then I'm late, so I will set usually two alarms to leave. So this is just down to obviously ADHD time blindness. As I mentioned, it's either now or not now, and so you really just want to like have these gentle nudges Okay, they're not really gentle if your alarm is really obnoxious. So I do recommend using maybe like like songs or like songs that you are happy to hate later and that can prompt you to get going. And also if you say, have the same song for like the same type of action each day, that that's going to be more helpful for your brain because it's a cue, and they're like our brain goes oh when we hear Bruno Mars's song whatever this one is, we get ready for the gym, and it's like it's an instant thing and it's so much easier and there's a lot less resistance.
Speaker 2: Weird system number five the launch pad.
Speaker 1: Now it's not an actual launch pad obviously, but every night, everything I need for the next day that is important, like keys, my life pouch, which I'll get into in a minute, you know, kids, stuff, All of it is in one spot of the house. Now for us, we've got like a pretty cool mudroom now, which is bloody awesome.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: But obviously not every like, not everyone has the mudroom, let's be honest. So choose a spot. It could be like maybe a kitchen nook or like a bench that's near the exit, like wherever in your house that will work as your launch pad. So every night we're going to think of our future self because mourning us can't be trusted. She's not happy and she doesn't remember anything, so and she'll be really mad at you if you don't do your you know, closing shift of the house, which we'll get into it a minute. So like bag keys snacks that obviously you can leave out of the fridge. All that bottle of water filled up is a big one because I struggle with drinking water. So if I've already filled it and I've put it at the launch pad, it's good to go, and I'll actually drink the thing because we don't like the Again, micro decisions in the morning are the worst. There's a lot of things going on in the morning. So whatever you can do to reduce this is going to really help you have a much better day. Because our morning it is, you know, the first book end.
Speaker 2: Of our day. It's how we start it. So if you.
Speaker 1: Wake up and you know you haven't done the kitchen from the night before, you haven't done your launch pad. You don't have your life pouch, which will make sense to in a second, it's going to be a bit of a shit show, and we don't want to do that, you know, you know, mourning us will hate us if we.
Speaker 2: Don't do this.
Speaker 1: So and the thing is, there is science again behind this, like as ADHD brains. Future thinking isn't something that we're very good at. Again, it's either now or not now. So we're not going to have future us as back as much. You know, we're too busy, like either got a million thoughts in our head or we're distracted or we're doing something. So just having a launch pad to launch your day off for the next day is going to save you. It's kind of cool to think of it like this, Like the launch pad converts a memory task into a visual task, so a visual you.
Speaker 2: You know, because everything's right there at the door.
Speaker 1: It's where you can see it, and you know, okay, like maybe you'll have even down to like let's say you have a doctor's appointment and you have to fill out a form and you've got the form there, it's filled out, it's at your launch pad, it's ready to go, and then you'll see it and be like, oh, yeah, I we got a doctor's appointment today. But you should also have all your alarm set as well. For that you're fifteen alarms prior. I do highly recommend, like you need to make sure your launch pad is in a location that makes sense, because if you're gonna go put it in the back room, you're not gonna remember, you're not gonna walk past it when you leave and see all the things.
Speaker 2: So you need to make.
Speaker 1: Sure it is at like an entryway, a hallway, wherever you're walking past to leave the house. It needs to be there because location actually really really matters. And again, have a hook for keys, a bowl for like wallets and things like that, a shelf for kids stuff, but just have everything kind of gathered together. I will even do this so you know, when I don't go to the gym as early anymore, but when I still got the gym really early in the morning, I would even have the certain skincare things that I use together, Like on the vanity, I'll have my contacts, my daily contacts in the little packets laid out right there. I'll have and I used to even put my keys in my life pouch next to it, so everything is one section. So if you're also someone trying to get up earlier. Try that the launch pad. But you can have it in your bathroom even as long as you remember to take the things with you. So me sorts it out so morning me doesn't have to and it's a game changer. Moving on to the life pouch. So I mentioned this a lot in the last system. Now this is one pouch. So actually this kind of came about by accident in a way. So I was trying to create a really esthetic tech pouch, so something for like your cables, your charges, all your tech stuff and make it really look really really nice. And it was actually meant to be like a free gift with purchase for Steff Face Planners. Anyway, I made it, and I got this pouch like the sample came and I fell in love with it.
Speaker 2: It was just it's so beautiful, it looked nice. It just looked like such a really cute little clutch.
Speaker 1: And I was like, Okay, well this can't be a gift with purchase, like I actually want to be able to always have this as like an item in the Staff Faced Planter's store. And I ended up calling it the tech pouch still, but I really do call it it is a life pouch and the reason why is because this tech pouch actually have it. Let me get it really quick, all right, I got the tech pouch here only because if you're watching this or video, you'll see So I got this little tech pouch and this has everything in it from my medication, like certain cards, like makeup. There's like anything I would ever need is in this tech pouch. This thing literally saves my life. So again, I'm not trying to just sell you as products, but have a pouch or something that you've got like a little bag and that you can call that your life pouch and anything like I'll even put in you know, if you get little samples of like perfume or certain makeup products I use and things like that, Like I'll get the minis and I'll just keep it in there so I never have to worry about having to like transfer things across all the time from like my makeup bag to here. Like it's just mini and I love miniature stuff.
Speaker 2: It's so cute. So yeah, having all these little items in a bag.
Speaker 1: And you just take that with you everywhere, Like I carry mine around my house and Ryan gives me shit for it, but it is so so good. So things like your charger, air pods, five pens, whatever you want to do, like you keep it in your bag and it goes from the car to the gym to home to the office and it's all together. And I know, obviously that just sounds like stuff that's a handbag, but a handbag is like so much bulkier and also having something smaller but has the mini things in it, have like you know, whatever you need and just know it's always together in one spot. And you know, losing small objects is my forte. I remember when I was a kid, I used to always cry because I would always lose my polly pocket and be so upset. And it's like, well, I didn't really have a chance, did I. I was always gonna lose my pollypockets. They're just abnormally small butt you're saying that both my girls have actually never lost one, so that's pretty impressive.
Speaker 2: Weird.
Speaker 1: System Number seven is if it takes more than two steps, redesign it again. This is about having the least amount of resistance possible. So if I have to open the drawer, lift a lid, find the right section, I'm not going to do it. So this is why, when you think about it, most of the time people don't put things away is because there's too many steps involved. So yeah, if you have so, say you just finished your makeup, if you have to open your draw then go into their unzip your vanity bag and then like put it away and then like there's another little pocket and things like you're never going to do that. So having things like baskets, like baskets are a game changer. I have so many baskets. So for me, in my vanity draw I've just got open baskets, so I.
Speaker 2: Can open my drawer and throw it in. It's done. That's two steps. If it's more than that, it's not happening.
Speaker 1: So you know, it's all about friction and activation energy according to science, So in chemistry, activation energy is the minimum energy needed to start a reaction, So in behavior it's the same the minimum effort needed to start a task. So research from Wendy Wood found that habits form fastest when activation energy is low. So every additional step doubles the chance that you won't do it, And that makes so much sense. Like even for me, you know, replying to an email that maybe I have to go in and get an attachment and then like read something and fill something out and then reply. I'm not going to reply to that email probably ever, so please don't ever ask.
Speaker 2: Me to do that.
Speaker 1: The less steps, the less friction. And again, our brain is lazy, and I'm sorry for saying that. Our brain just wants to chill because she's actually holding a lot of information. She's not stupid, she's just holding a lot. So obviously they're going to try. Our brain is going to try and take the easiest route. So this is where we think about hooks instead of draws, open baskets instead of boxes with lids, clear containers so I can see what's inside. So this comes down to one of my daughters doesn't like putting her clothes away, which is fair because I'm the same. So what I did is in her wardrobe. Now we've got baskets for things that to be hung up, because you know, we've got the drawers and things, and she's fine with that.
Speaker 2: But it's more the hanging.
Speaker 1: I think it's like, obviously, when you have to hang something up, you got to go to that part of the wardrobe. Usually, open the wardrobe, grab the coat hanger, put the clothes on the coat hanger, put it on the rail and then close the doors. Like that's a million steps. So if she could just open the door and then see a basket that says tops, throw a top in and she's done, that's it. So that's like less steps. So this is where we want to redesign it as much as we can. So for me, for example, I also suck at hanging my clothes up during the week. On the weekend, I have more time, I feel like I can do it. But what I have in my wardrobe is I have a basket for like a section for my gym stuff. I have a basket for like tops and things like that, so different sections of the.
Speaker 2: Wardrobe I will have baskets.
Speaker 1: So during the week, when I'm running around and rushing, I will chuck it in the basket instead of hanging it up. And then on Sundays, I'll just grab my baskets and they're already in the right section where it needs to go away, so I don't have to think about that and I simply put them away. And I know that sounds so bizarre, but honestly, baskets like and doing things like that makes life so much easier. And that's why when they say they don't put it down put it away. Like that doesn't work for everyone because there's too many steps in the middle. We need to redesign all our systems to just be maximum two steps.
Speaker 2: And you can kind of order your house for this.
Speaker 1: So I want you to walk around your house and like count the steps for how to put things away. So if it's more than two steps, say maybe to put your mugs away. If there's too many steps, how can you redesign that? How can you change that? It could be changing location, So maybe after you unstack the dishwasher, you're covered with your cups are way too far away, and then you're like, oh, I don't want to put these away. So even just like making things close in the distance really really helps. And weird system number eight is I close my kitchen like a restaurant. I'm sure you've heard of closing shift, and it's pretty much the notion that at night you should clean up and close your kitchen like you would if you worked in hospitality, where they have a very strict schedule of how they close. And it's the same like when you think about it, you know, businesses and things like that, we do quarterly reviews, We see what's not working and how we can fix it. But we never do that for our home life and our personal life and just how our households are run. But when you think about it, a lot of our stress and a lot of our time does go into the house and how things are run at home. So why are we doing the same. So you can come up with these solutions and like these systems yourself just by sitting down and being like, Okay, what's not working, what feels hard? And I know sometimes it can be a bit hard to be objective because it's just the way you've always done things, but it doesn't mean it's the best way and the easiest way and the right way for you. So don't be scared to kind of do random things like buy the same pair of socks and that's it. So ten minutes, ten to fifteen minutes every night we do the dishwasher, right know, we wipe the benches. I even tell the kids, because there's kids are never hungry, are in their life until they.
Speaker 2: Have to go to bed. So I'll be like, I literally will say, girls.
Speaker 1: Ten minutes in the kitchen is closed, and you can't have any like I literally have to run it like that because otherwise they don't go to sleep. So yeah, wiping the benches, you take out the rubbish, you know, fix the laundroom. Even like all those things. I do a full closing shift. So future stuff doesn't hate past stuff for being a shitheader.
Speaker 2: Not doing it.
Speaker 1: And it is It's all about what scientists call environmental priming. So research from Princeton's University of Neuroscience found that visual clutter competes for your attention and decreases performance. So when you think about it, like when you wake up in the morning, you have a lot of things, like maybe you could be really pumped for the day. You're like, I'm want to smash goals. I want to do this, that and the other. If you walk into a messy kitchen and a lound room, you are not now thinking about the goals you want to do. You're now thinking, oh, I need to do those dishes, I need to do the washing, I need to do this, that and the other, and you're now not focusing on those goals. So you know, walking into a clean kitchen in the morning literally just gives your brain more capacity to function as well. So this is what we're doing here and also like our brains are very affected by our environment, as we know, but this is especially so for like ADHD people and things like that really does affect us. And the thing is too like because it's not really just about the dishes, it's what emotions come up with having dirty dishes. You see the dirty dishes and you think, oh, why didn't I do that? And then you feel shame, and then you spiral and you're like, oh my god, I got to leave for this, blah blah blah, and all these emotions start coming up. It's not just there's the dishes, I need to do them. It's shame, it's stress, it's anxiety, all these things surrounding.
Speaker 2: A dirty plate.
Speaker 1: So let's just do our closing shift and then wake up to a nice clean house. It also thinking of it as the closing shift, it really does make it work because it frames it as a role, not like a chore. So when you can frame things as a role, that's something a bit more empowering. You're like, this is something that I do, and this is like, this is how it's done, and that's why I Also, you know, like in jobs, you are assigned roles and you carry out that task because it's part of your role. So reframing it as a role instead of a chore it's really is going to help change your mindset around.
Speaker 2: It as well.
Speaker 1: And a little hack for this one is I always will play the same playlist for closing shift. It's not like upbeat because I am a toddler and if there's too many overhead lights on and a loud music, I will not sleep that night.
Speaker 2: So I'll have a pretty chill playlist.
Speaker 1: I've got things like red hot Chili peppers in there. I've got like train that drops of Jubiter, those types of songs, and I will listen to the same playlist every time I do it. And that again is a cue for my brain to be like, oh yep, this is the playlist we listen to when we do this role, which is closing the closing shift. So every little thing you can do to really help your brain have least resistance is what we want to do here. Now look the bigger picture here. They're the eight systems. They are the eight weird systems I do. They are not revolutionary. They are you know, it's one type of sock. It's a pouch, my life pouch. It's like hooks, like, it's not rocket science. But that's the point. We want the least resistance. We want simplicity, and there's nothing wrong with having things simple and easy, and we really do need these stupidly simple systems to remove the decisions, to remove the steps, to remove the thought and the resistance for our life just to get a lot easier. And this is the type of shit I wish they would teach in schools, like, I'm sure the Roman Empire was super interesting, but is it going to help me keep up with my washing and my life?
Speaker 2: Ad men, No, it's not.
Speaker 1: So I feel like if we could just have this type of subject at school on how to keep up with life and how to get you know, life, to work with your brain, not against it, we would be much much happier humans and having to work it out ourselves. So just remember, guys, your brain isn't broken. It just needs different systems, that is it. And I really hope you enjoyed today's episode.
Speaker 2: I love these.
Speaker 1: I've got so many more weird systems that I do every day, so I could make this little mini series if you guys want, you let me know, and please, if you do, try any of these systems, take a photo tag me on in Instagram and I.
Speaker 2: Would love to see it.
Speaker 1: And also I would love if you guys could subscribe to the show and leave a review. It just helps everything, and it helps these tips get to more people that need it. All right, bye,