Speaker 1: Hi, friends, fans listeners of this podcast called healthy Ish, thank you for joining us. I am Felicity Haley and of course this is the daily podcast from Body and Soul. Joining me today in the hot seat is our digital editor Holly Berkeleman, and we are talking about the three hottest topics in the health and honess world this week. Holly, welcome to healthy Is.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much. How are you?
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm good, but I want to hear about you. You just off the plane from Japan.
Speaker 2: I am just off the plane from Japan. I was there last week with Mechamax and jet Star to launch their new cleansing barn which is called Meltdown, and we went to Osaka in Japan, which was incredible. It was the best week, a real treat to get out and about play with skincare. It was fat.
Speaker 1: My trip to Aubrey for my son's footy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, highs and lows, but it sounds like that actually was.
Speaker 1: A whole Actually he made the State AFIL team. Yes, so this is I will be a proud mum and I was very proud. Actually I nearly cried when they they called his name out. So that was a whole lot for.
Speaker 2: Me, it's amazing. We both had great weeks.
Speaker 1: Yes, now what about the great week? On body insol dot com?
Speaker 2: The great week? Every week is a great week, thank you. But my pick for this week is a story called are you Maintenance Dating? Here's why you should be? So this is a first person piece by Sarah Noonan, and she usually writes for the print magazine, but she wrote this one for us, and she basically explains that after a period of going on lots and lots of dates on dating apps, she experienced real fatigue, which I think is very common sentiment, like I certainly go through bouts, have just been completely exhausted by the concept and I smoke bomb for months on end. So she kind of exhausted herself and then ended up doing just that and going on no dates at all, didn't talk to anyone, and her friend suggested she try maintenance dating. So this idea, if you haven't heard of it, but for emerged just after Lockdown, when for a lot of people they hadn't been on a date in months, and the idea of speaking to a complete stranger it was quite overwhelming, which I was in a relationship at the time, so I didn't have that, but that I heard from friends and things. The idea of just suddenly sitting with someone for hours on end who you haven't met, it's quite a lot.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think that's a lot, anyway.
Speaker 2: It's a lot anyway anyway. So that's where maintenance dating comes in, which suggests that you go on dates with people who you may not usually opt for or when you're not necessarily looking for a relationship, just to grease the wheels, if you will, to keep your skills intact. And it means that when you are ready to date, the idea of getting back out there isn't so scary because you've been dabbling throughout that time and you haven't forgotten how to do it. And you know, one of the great things about that is that means that you might meet people who you may not have necessarily come into contact with before, because you're giving people a chance who maybe I'm a typical pick exactly. So I quite like this concept because as someone who has taken time off dating, it can feel like a really big ask to get back out there. But at the same time, I guess you don't want to be wasting people's time as well, and going on dates if you're not ready to be in a relationship too. So yeah, it's a bit of an interesting idea.
Speaker 1: I like it. And who knows, you might just meet that person that you're going to be with exactly.
Speaker 2: They always say you meet them when you're not looking for them. So maybe I'll maintenance date my way into a husband.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well to hear about that, yeah, please do Well, there's no segue into mind And I want to talk today about this concept of nature journaling perfect balance. You like that? Yes, Now, obviously we all know that journaling. Do you journal?
Speaker 2: I journal in the sense that I write all my thoughts down in my notes app. So I don't know if we can click it absolutely maybe Yeah, yeah, I do a brain dump.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 2: So that's kind of brain dump y, a digital brain dump.
Speaker 1: Well, well, yes, so I journal. We know that journaling has proven beneficial for mental health. However, whichever form you do it pen to paper, finger.
Speaker 2: To phone, finger to screen.
Speaker 1: Well, and we also know that spending time in green space can do wonders for our well being. Well, stick them together and you have a winner, low and behold. Yes, so well, the movement has taken off in the US there's a new organization in Australia called the Australian Association of Nature Journaling and it hopes to inspire more people to head outside with a pencil case and a notebook and record what they see.
Speaker 2: Wow. I never would have guessed that there'd be a full organization for something like that.
Speaker 1: This is what I had to share this.
Speaker 2: Story because yes, continue reporting flis Well.
Speaker 1: What is it all about. It's really what it says on the tin. It's being in nature and journaling and it's all about encouraging you to see the world around you different. I mean it's been like forest bathing. Really.
Speaker 2: It was about to bring that up. Have you ever done it?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: I have done it once in South Australia. I was on a trip with the South Australian Tourism Commissioning Commission and we had to walk crownd of forest and then lie under the trees and like you know, kind of connect with the trees and things. It was quite an experience.
Speaker 1: And amazing for your mental health.
Speaker 2: It was soothing and just like being outside in the fresh air with no people and things was nice. But it was quite different from the day to day of these hallow halls I can.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, I mean, so imagine you're doing that in South Australia, a great place to do it. But you've also got a pencil case and a notebook, and it's about just sitting there and drawing what you see, So stopping and taking time to see what's going on around us, look at the flowering plant. You can do it over a season and so then you can see how the plant changes or plant as they'd say in South Australia, and you know, just record the whole life cycle, so you don't if you can't draw, it doesn't matter because no one's going to look at your drawers. You can also write about what you see, so you can kind of put on a scientist's white coat and write, you know, pay attention to what's going on with the plan and how it looks and notice things differently. And you can do it in your own backyard. If you live in an apartment, you can do your pop plan on the randa. It's just stopping and drawing and taking a closer look at what you see. So forest bathing, but just with some artwork.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I guess are you meant to talk about specifically how the plants are changing or just it's really up to you.
Speaker 1: It's just about getting out of your head and into nature. Really, and I think you know, we know that it's wondrous for well being. But the other thing, when you're drawing, it builds I hand and brain connections. So because when and I suppose the other things, it's encouraging you to step away from the phone and not be there with your phone taking a picture. Yes, so you can actually, which is so easy. So put the phone away.
Speaker 2: Getting back to Darwinian roots and drawing. Well, okay, drawing the birds and what are the finches in the glapa? Guess isn't that what he did? Oh?
Speaker 1: That just you know your history?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, god holy it was my one year of biology that I did at NAR before I realized that I was a writer.
Speaker 1: Because when I was writing, when I was thinking about this story, I thought I am a terrible artist, but I'm good at writing. Yeah, person writing, I'm going to give it a go.
Speaker 2: You should. Let's both give it a crack and we'll talk about it in next week.
Speaker 1: Okay, just quickly before we go, what was the most clicked story of the week.
Speaker 2: Most clicked story was the common smoothie mistake you're probably making. So who knew you could really go wrong with a smoothie that. I thought it was kind of chop and blend, which usually I think most people follow a similar process, blending up the fruit, adding milk or water, coconut something like that. However, new research shows that blending two of the most popular smoothie ingredients could be impacting their nutritional value.
Speaker 1: Okay, what are they?
Speaker 2: You'll have to click through to see what they are. But they're fruits. They're two popular fruits, and when you blend them, it reduces their nutrient value, which you know. Sometimes there's that kind of school of thought that you should be eating things raw rather than cooking.
Speaker 1: Them, which is that you should be adding together correct to drink orange juice with steaked.
Speaker 2: Yes for iron exactly. Well, yes, apparently blending them doesn't make them as good for you, So click through and discover.
Speaker 1: Thanks Holly, see next week. Bye, Oh Holly, I wish you'd tell us, but no, you can read more. You can read exactly what those ingredients are. I will leave a link to that story about smoothies in the show notes, and also a link to the first one maintenance dating that Holly talked about. If you did enjoy this chat, jump on rate and review it. Send me a DM at Felicity Harley on social media if you have any ideas of things we could talk about on this podcast. On this ebb of course, make sure you subscribe to Healthy Ish and a big sister podcast, Extra healthy Ish. We also have a print edition which drops in your local Sunday paper. Thanks again for your us and until tomorrow, stay healthy, MHM