Speaker 1: Guys, let's get going. What's your hot take? Read man, what do you got off the top? Turn?
Speaker 2: But good with an item today and Sport Confidential Dave about Paramatta and more change going on to Para Paramatter's a lot going on there this year under Jason Rolls. And then they've now given Ryan Madison permission to go out in the market and find a new club. He's got one year left on his deal. He's played think he's played one game first grade this year. He's languished in reserve grade all year and the club has now given him permission to go out and look around. So more change at the Ears.
Speaker 1: Well, it's been on the cards to be fair, hasn't it really? And we've seen a lot of those more experienced than our el players at the Eels under the Jason Ryle's way just now being put to the side. Almost Bryce cart Rides.
Speaker 2: Another example, Sawn Lane's now taking a break from the game. Obviously, Shawn's got his own issues to deal with. Shawn's now taking a break from the game, and the club's talking to him about I guess ending ending, finishing up, finishing up. So there's a lot of change going on there.
Speaker 1: Yep, what are you thinking, Tys, I've got for my hot take.
Speaker 3: I think pendis come back on the weekend was a one week thing.
Speaker 2: One week thing. Yeah, wow, this is big. It's just coming and dropping grenades.
Speaker 3: Look, I was there at the game, and I think at the start, you know, I thought they were playing horribly at the start, and the only reason why the score blew out to how big it did and the reason why they ended up fighting Form was because of how poor the Broncos were.
Speaker 2: There, pretty insipid. You and I, we were both there, had a big magic.
Speaker 1: He was on tour judgments. I'm surprised you can even remember the game.
Speaker 3: Making judgments on my hot take after after the week, okay, after the week.
Speaker 2: The Bronx did struggle early in that game. I had a lot of football and they just couldn't do anything with it. I never really threatened Penne.
Speaker 1: Your tip and the Cowboys to beat Penrith this week.
Speaker 3: I'm indecided on that. But I just think, no, no, no, I don't think. I don't think no. I don't think that everyone thinks that the Penates are back now. I think whether they win this week or not, they're not back. I think their performances still are still pretty poor.
Speaker 2: So you put a line through Penrothy. Now that's a hot take. What you got, Dave?
Speaker 1: Oh look, I'm just excited about the w A w A w W W A double Bear. Then the w A Bears still still don't have a name, but it is official. They're in the comp and I've got to say I've had my mates asking general general questions about how happy they are that the Bears are back, and I think it's a great move for the game. The next big step will be the talent pool and the impact on the game, and there'll be a stack of debate on whether the game can carry another team and not including P and G just at this point in time, but whether we have the talent to cover w A.
Speaker 2: You know, I worry for I know they're talking about going to rugby Union in South Africa and Argentina. I worry. I worry for Super League because you can get a direct flight from Perth to England. So if you're an English player that and you get homesick, you worried about coming to Stralia. Stralia because of homesickness, that direct flight makes it more attractive on reckon. So I think we've got to be really careful with Super League because it's struggling now and w A has the potential to completely eviscerate. So that's my concern. But I love that they're in. I love that they're back. I mean ty Swiss saw Bears jerseys up and at the weekend.
Speaker 3: Everywhere it's more Bears jerseys than Dragons.
Speaker 2: Can start, But how you playing? What's your form like at the moment.
Speaker 3: I'd say my form's pretty good, But I don't think I have to start with the Bears.
Speaker 1: Just really quickly, I reckon the NRL. It's time. We have heard so much talk about this over the years, about pilfering rugby union, and it's time now to try and find a way to give club sealarycap exemptions and dispensation to go and pill for rugby union, go and get Wallabies players now for the Perth franchise, and that knowing, knowing that rugby union had a foothold in the WA with a Perth team, it's perfect timing to take a stand. We saw it that there was some talk that Mark Nawanakato easy would the Roosters would get some dispensation that didn't come through. But it's time now to start eating into rugby union.
Speaker 2: We've got only the column, Dave. When Tommy Wright, who plays for the Wallabies and the NRL are looking at some NRAL clubs looking at him. At the moment, my only concern is you've got to protect the integrity of the salary cap. So Perth go and sign five rugby union players. It needs to be to get a fifty percent discount. I think Brandy call for fifty percent discounts this morning. Rugby players, What does that do to your salary cap If one club's getting five exemptions, I think it it createspet to create an uneven.
Speaker 1: You can cap it, read you'll have to cap it. Yeah, let's keep an eye on it. Fellow's big breaking story yesterday from Michael Carrianis and yourself read men in relation to this contract saga that his de's Hasler revelation that there's now clauses in the contract Titans can get out should he not make the eighth this year. It's a big story because we're now analyzing every single weekend's result as we get closer to the finals to determine whether the des is going to be at the club next.
Speaker 2: This big because we're talking about Dez Hasler. This guy's coach five I think it's five hundred and ninety games in the Premiership, won a couple of comps, and his last two clubs he sued after leaving them. So I think it's really smart by the Titans to put some protection mechanisms in the deal with Dez because when they gave him the job, clubs weren't exactly beating a path to Deser's door. The Titans had the whip hand and they've used it smartly. So you know, you're right, Dave. We're going to be wanted to bring them every week now for the rest of the season until it mathematically out of contingent for the eight, which as you could be soon why they're going, So we'll be keeping an.
Speaker 1: Eye what's going on at the Titans.
Speaker 3: Look, it's the same problem every year with that club. You can't blame des Hazler because you look at every single coach that's there and they've all done the same thing. It's hard to get up and play footy at the Titans. I've I've known people that have gone there and played and they've told me that it's more a party town there. They're not they're not as focused on footy. And you see you see some of the pictures on their Instagram of their training and you see the water in the background, you see the bright sunlight. I'm telling you for a player, it's hard to get up and does it's not It's not the Gold Coast. It's not the Gold Coast, and that that is the problem there. I promise you that you look at the talent that team has right now. You look at the talent that they've had in the past. Every player that's gone there has not succeeded the way they did before or pushed on the way everyone was expected.
Speaker 1: Salary kept completely I've said it consistently. Their salary keps completely out of whack. The way they have invested so much money in their forward pack is I find it extraordinary. And they're in this situation of having a rotation of halves and relying on the champion Kieran Forum getting back on the field at full back again. It's like a it's a carousel of fullbacks.
Speaker 2: They'll been unlucky there today. Though. Can he town be in their fullback all year, but he's done his neck. I don't look, I don't buy this idea that players don't handle can't handle the sun and the and the the glue strip because you look at Blake like Tina for we never impacts him. He's Britain every week. That's personal. It's a game. But that's personal responsibility and accountability. That's not on the club. That's on the players. For me, So you know, I think I think it's a weak excuse. No, I'm not having a go you here, Tyson, sure, but I think it's a weak excuse to say players can't play there it's too distracting. Well that's well, that's the getting the wrong player. But that's okay.
Speaker 1: But that's the reason they bought and that's the reason they brought in a.
Speaker 2: I worry it does, is Dave Iry worry whether the aim has passed him by those he.
Speaker 1: Pulls a press the game passed him by.
Speaker 2: I mean so boring.
Speaker 1: Now, deaths come on, man, I agree with that.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean? They the coach is going to promote them. The coach is going to end his own press conferences after three minutes. It's insane.
Speaker 1: Just quickly the Chicks a lot of movement now going on. They've tapped Dom Young, was surprised, and Brandon Smith is on his way to the Rabbits.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think.
Speaker 1: I expect this to be finalized over the weekend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm not surprised. I mean, Dom Young's really struggled on the wing defensively, and I'm told he hasn't really settled in in the Eastern suburbs. And Brandon, look, the minute he signed for Souse, he was always going to be gone before the years because those clubs hate each other and they've obviously had their feel of Brandon. So I'm not surprised. They just need to negotiate the deals and I'm sure you as you said, David, it can be done over the weekend. Great sign. I think brand is a great signing for Souse. They're battling. I know he's out for a war.
Speaker 1: How can he be such a poor signing for the Roosters and such a great signing for Sale.
Speaker 2: I don't know you said it some people sometimes I think it's a football I think he fits what's South Snead Well, I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't know about that, but some people just don't fit into systems right, and I think that's the thing with Brandon Smith. I think it's probably also the thing with Dominic Young. Dominic Young at the Knights was the finisher. He was that guy.
Speaker 1: You see.
Speaker 3: He's had some troubles doing the hard yards out of out of red zone and trying to get that ball back into back into attacking shape, because it almost looks like he freezes up as soon as the defenses is within two or three steps from him. And I think that's where he struggled, and that's hindered his ability to be that awesome finisher that we all got to know and love from the Knights.
Speaker 1: Dom Young, it seems a fighter completely your heads back to the Knights again, another another recruitment the Rooster's made that I don't it'll go down as a loss, A flop, a flop, A little bit worried about the Knights, like they seemed to be replenishing areas that they I don't think they need. Which is in the pack the packs they're concerned for me?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but I think they're in the mark. I think they're out there in the marketplace. I assume they are. I don't know how much money look to be fair.
Speaker 1: When a player of dom young is knocking on your door to come back, you're probably taking it.
Speaker 2: How good he was up there, he was outstanding in Newcastle.
Speaker 3: The money they're getting him for as well is insane. You're getting an international player for just over two hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's too good to resist, Tys.
Speaker 1: How's your Viking clap?
Speaker 3: So you will never see me do a Viking clap?
Speaker 1: Well, you could on Saturday.
Speaker 2: Cost himself the chance learning a contract with the Raider.
Speaker 1: I think if every you're going to buy into the Viking clap, it's sold out Goo Stadium. This is a sellout. It's official three o'clock Saturday afternoon camera versus the Dogs one v two. It's like the glory days again of the nineties, all over again. Who wins and why? Tys? I think the Raiders.
Speaker 3: The Raiders have it, and I've tipped against the Raiders the last couple of weeks. I'm saying to Learne, but they've just got this grit and never say die attitude, which you keep saying it's going to go, it's going to go, it's going to go. But I can't see it going I really like. We had an article this morning about Ricky coming out and telling his players, you know, at the end of that game, don't don't let the hype get to you, and don't listen to your best mates and how good you're going. I think that that's perfect for them because last year they started pretty strong, not as strong as this year, but they fell off towards the end of the year. I think Ricky has learned. Ricky's been there for a while, he knows this pack, He's developed this side. I really think we're in for a special Raiders side, probably better than the mom we got in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 1: I think the Dogs are hurting a little bit now with Tilly Chrepreneur out, Josh Current out, and now obviously Jacob pressed in the suspension he being out. I think that hurts them. It's a huge test for them. They were good against the Titans, but I was just worried about the Titans offering too much. I don't know if they did. I'm learning towards the Green Machine here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm with you. I think they're just flying at the moment, the Raiders, and you're right, they've got some some big names out at the moment of the dogs. I was at that you do is you hearing on?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 2: Very interesting?
Speaker 1: What happens there? Do you get free pizza and stuff like that?
Speaker 2: I had so they used to have a coffee machine. It's not there anymore. Very disappointing, and I've run out of money. I think they had some sandwiches for memory, spring rolls. Bread had spring rolls.
Speaker 1: Last time you go through these little periods of going off bread?
Speaker 2: Yeah, bread and carbs?
Speaker 1: How long was that last?
Speaker 2: It was three days in planning, Dave.
Speaker 1: You know we're going to Andrew Webster's fiftieth on Saturday.
Speaker 2: I might eat some bread there.
Speaker 1: Four days wonderful?
Speaker 2: Can I say we're going to brush over that hearing? But it was really interesting afterwards because the lawyer for Jacob Preston come out and said, I'm not having to go with tinot for but we're really need to stop diving in the game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it was a good drive by, wasn't it.
Speaker 2: I agree with him. Diving, Yeah, I hope you don't take a dive. Do you never take a door down hold in your neck?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: Because if you if you do that these days, you get taken off the field. Yes, it's silly. Yeah, it's not in the spirit of the game.
Speaker 1: A fella's origin is around the corner. Just two weekends of matches, So this weekend's matches and next week's weekends matches. That's it, Laurie Daily, Billy Slater. They picked their teams. Now let's have a real quick crack at it. For me, I'm a Mitch Moses Nathan Cleary combination. I think Jerome Leway, while decent, isn't isn't ripping the door down at the West Tigers. I think there's been a couple of games where he's gone a bit quiet. I'm going to use the Golden Point Sharks match as an example. I don't think he really stood up in those moments. How do you see it? Title, I'll start with you. Who's in the half for the Blues.
Speaker 3: I think it will be Nathan Cleary and Mitchell Moses. However, that's not how I would pick. I would go Jerome Loway and Nathan Cleary or Jerome Mitchell Moses. I think.
Speaker 1: That's it. Hey, justifying, Let me justify. I said I would go either of those.
Speaker 3: You can't have too dominant playmakers both trying to be in the same team. It does not work.
Speaker 2: It does not work.
Speaker 3: You need one of You need someone like Nathan or like Mitchell Moses to the majority of the kicking control that team. You need someone like Jerome Lai who's going to play that good second fiddle who can do the stuff on the other side of field. You see how it's affected Penrith without having Jerome there this year. Jerome did so much last year in Origin and he compliments Nathan perfectly.
Speaker 1: I'm just sure to think on your point, didn't cronk him first? And there's a couple of good plays, pretty dominant.
Speaker 2: Not go no doubt for me, it's Cleary Moses. It's a lay down Massia lockerty and it's done.
Speaker 1: That's what Because you love the kicking game.
Speaker 2: Well, I just think Mitch is a better player than Jerome. Yeah, just was pick to Drame, who's a really good footballer. But I'm sure Mitchell subverb is up the right word his ego to allow Nathan to run the team and Mitchell just trying on his house. He's got a great running game Mitch as well, So I think it can work.
Speaker 1: Fullbacks boys Dylan Edwards or Tedesco.
Speaker 2: Again, done and dusted. Edwards will be the fullback. I know Tedy's playing out of his skin, but I mean Dylan Edwards was there last year they won the series. You've got to show loyalty, yeah, Dylan Edwards.
Speaker 1: I'm a huge fan of James Tedesco and it really hurts me to say this because I just love watching Teddy play. His longevity and ability to play at such a high stands is incredible. But you're right, Reedy Edwards doesn't deserve to be dropped. And I think combinations count in Origin and all those Penrith connections will will will help Dylan Edwards's case to get him into.
Speaker 3: The I thinks thinks he should be dropped. Well, I don't think Tessca should have been dropped last year. He's playing too good footy. He's playing too good footy to leave out of that side. If we want to win Set of Origin, Major, James Sisko has to be there.
Speaker 1: Boys, Jake Chabovich doesn't make my team again. It's a tough call. This is discussing. Is a typical Queensland point coming here. Tough call. I get it. Captain champion, Blake champion player, but not with the with the current forward pack.
Speaker 2: So you're going to acts the captain of the team that won the series last year. This would never happen in Queensland. Never you. Blake's just the Spenser Blake who's been loyal, drives the culture, led the team to a series with last year. You're just kicking to the curb.
Speaker 1: See sometimes I can take everything you say seriously. And then on this account it would.
Speaker 2: Not happened north of the border. More stirring to come.
Speaker 1: There's a dilemma too for your your team on the utility factor. I think did And gets the we don't jump and hunt missus out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wouldn't argue with that if that happened. We lost last year. We lost last year. When you lose loyalty goes.
Speaker 1: Do you remember his runaway? Try to win this series? Man, who's your champion? You've thrown him out?
Speaker 2: Didon was there last year as well? Very good footballer, in better touch than than Ben Hunt the moment of the bet. Ben's fall has been a bit inconsistent and Monster and Daily will be the halves. So I don't think it's room for Ben Hunt.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't think Tom didn't provides the same utility level that Ben Hunt does, like if you're playing him at fourteen. If you're looking at Ben Hunt Tom didden As at fourteen, you'd have to go with Ben Hunt. Where would you play Tom Diddon If you know DC and Monster are healthy the whole time, you know you.
Speaker 2: Could play Queenstinence is a tradition of using making up story out us outside backs in the middle of the field all halves. Cooper Krong played them the fields when he first played Origin, Calum pong I first played Origin in the middle of the field. They came on sorry in the middle of the field at stages during the game. Tommy didn't could do that, He's tough.
Speaker 3: Would you not rather Ben Hunt do that? He's done it before, he's been there and he's current form.
Speaker 2: No, I think Tommy didn's got Tommy didn't has his nose in front of bed but current you're.
Speaker 3: Talking on current form. But you just told me before that we can't drop Dylan Edwards Jameson.
Speaker 2: That's cald You why they because when you win, you reward loyalty. We didn't win last year, we lost, right, you won, and you're about to get rid of your captain, which is outrageous.
Speaker 1: I'll give you a tip. Stop listening to this, all right. Welcome to this week's edition of Mailbag. Send in your questions, comments, talk topics to code NRL Atnews dot com dot au. These are probably more statements than questions, but let's go with it. Wayne Bennett reveals how how he helped orchestrate Adam Reynolds with Broncos move What what do we What are we taking away from that? Well?
Speaker 2: I think Wayne rang Kevy and Elfie to talk about Adam Reynolds. I don't have a great problem with it, and South has made the decision to move on that. Lachlan earlier is coming through the system Adam on the long term deal. Now, in hindsight you could argue it's hasn't been a great move for Souse, but Brisbane don't want to calm with Audham there, so you know, I don't have an issue with this. He's looking after his players, he always does. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I tend to agree. I've seen it work both ways with Wayne.
Speaker 1: You can't agree. This one comes from King Matt. Now, King Matt says I'm not having a go at dead in particular, sounds like King Matt's having a gap. But it is so But it is so pleasing to see a journal ask tough questions and face to face, not hiding behind a keyboard or podcast. Well done, Travis Maine, Yeah, well done, trav.
Speaker 2: I grilled him. He grilled him in their I think it was at the air. Yeah, good on him, Travy, Yeah, no, good questions his hitting journalist, Travis Maine ripped in the desert.
Speaker 1: This is what you can learn to us? What is what's coming? Analys Travy everything.
Speaker 2: He does genius. But DESI was a bit DESI was typical DESI wouldn't he.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, fellas Brad Wright's not many players thrive after leaving the Storm. Some do, but not many. He's clearly referencing Brandon Smith there.
Speaker 2: He's been a bit unlucky Bran. It's had some injuries since he's been there and some issues off the field. As I said earlier, I think he's a great signing for South.
Speaker 1: I don't think the roosters did their homework really.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's probably that might be true. That might be true.
Speaker 3: His best position wasn't starting hooker when he was at the Storm. His best position was playing the utility or playing a lock, and that's they put all their investment into having him. So I tend to agree with you that.
Speaker 1: I think that I think there is a genuine weariness across the game in buying Storm players, because you're wondering why the Storm were getting letting them go, and if they're letting them go and all the success that they've had is you question what is wrong with that player. There's been a a couple of examples that have kicked on Nico. Heines has done a pretty good job, great career after Big Tino, great example. So yeah, I hear Brad where Brad's coming from. But and to be fair, probably more don't kick on them than do last one. This one comes from Wayno imagine letting a club legend like Damien Cook Go, Cook Go, and then sign this bloke within just a few months, including he was I mean, he was good at the Storm. But the cheese has grown moldy, grown moldy over the past two seasons.
Speaker 2: It's been injured most of this all this year. In the end of last year. It's a bit harsh on the cheese. He's calling him moldy.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't think it is harsh to be fair.
Speaker 2: Wayne Bennett just have to fire him up when he gets trying to put a rocket under him when he arrives.
Speaker 1: Has he got molded?
Speaker 3: I don't think so. But he's still he's still young, and he's got like black red. He said he's been injured. I may people just like to have a sock about some things. You know, the Roosters haven't done terrific the last couple of years, and you're going to have players that, as a result, get put under scrutiny. And he's one of those players. He hasn't been it his best, but he's been far from their worst.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Send any questions to code NRL atnews dot com. Do are you