Speaker 1: You are on the air with Jason Lauren Clints here as well, and very excited to be joined by our next guest.
Speaker 2: In the world of celebrity cheffing, Britain has produced two of the world's most famous ones. Our next guest is known as the Nice one of the.
Speaker 3: Two Okay onions. Chopping an onion is one of the most common veg you're going to do, so you might as well know how to do it properly.
Speaker 2: Please Welcome to the show, Jamie Oliver, Morning on the Nice One Morning guys. Hello mate, Thanks, I was just chopping an onion last night actually a.
Speaker 4: Were thinking of the Nice shows.
Speaker 2: It can be quite confusing.
Speaker 5: Is there an art to it?
Speaker 3: Well, definitely, what were you trying to do? Slice it or dice it? Just we've come up against the problem straight away. There is a knack. But yeah, I mean that was my first job in the kitchen when I was eight years old. Was like like a whole massive sack of onions and you just used to sit there chopping and crying.
Speaker 6: So do you still cry when you chop onions? Or if you master.
Speaker 3: After two months of this, I thought I'm going to get you because it's all the chefs taking the mickey, and I just basically went up into the loft and got my my, my, you know, goggles from scuba diving. That solved the problem, Thank you very much.
Speaker 5: So have you ever done that thing?
Speaker 1: You know where you see chefs where they blindfold themselves and then they that's scary.
Speaker 3: No, I can do that. That's fine because the reason they do that is because once you learn that to do it properly, you know what's happening. You don't even need to look. So that the whole point of learning to use a knife properly, other than safety and speed, is also that you can look around the kitchen and see what's burning, who's misbehaving, what.
Speaker 5: They should I grab a knife, Clint, you give it a go.
Speaker 6: No, no, come today. He didn't even know if he was slicing or diceing.
Speaker 4: You're not doing.
Speaker 3: Blind no, no, no, no, no, no, no not there.
Speaker 6: Hey, Jamie, I know you just said you eight when you started chopping and dicing onions. How many kids do you have and when you're at home do you put them to work?
Speaker 4: Are you off the tools?
Speaker 3: I have five kids, and yeah, it's an army and I've tried to teach them all, but also they because I'm their dad, they just they're not that impressed. So they get the same general general training, and what seems to happen is they go through waves of interest and disregard and interest and basically out the other end. They're pretty They're pretty useful in the kitchen. But Buddy's probably my strongest.
Speaker 5: Yeah right, what's.
Speaker 3: Just he just likes the adventure of cooking. He likes like fileting and boning and sort of using the knife skills and turning the pile of stuff into something you can eat. So thus far he's my loyalist soldier. But the girls, you know what, they went to UNI and all of a sudden, their memories of cooking came back and they realized that if they did batch cooking and cooked up a storm, they could have better parties and then buy more vodka.
Speaker 5: Yes, it's win win.
Speaker 6: Is the I'm not much of a cook or a chef, and that's what I love about your new book, Jamie.
Speaker 4: Simply Jamie. It's even got a recipe in They're clean? How is it made.
Speaker 5: Mikro Noki five ingredients.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a revelation because is a beautiful simple dish, of course, but like it's always thought of as doing it in big batch, but actually, if it's just for like two of you or four of you, two jacket potatoes, microwave ten minutes and you can have nyoki made and cooked by fifteen minutes proper homemade.
Speaker 6: We were debating in here this morning because the five ingredients for the microwave yoki potatoes playing fat flour, unsalted butter, parmesan cheese, and a whole nutmeg. But it's one knob of unsalted butter.
Speaker 4: And we were arguing in here, it's a knob, not a trick question.
Speaker 3: It's I think I always think of a knob as sort of like half of my thumb. So I heat teaspoona scales for different But yeah, I mean I think. But also if one knob is bigger than the other, I don't think it matters, you know, when it comes to butter and cheese, just going to make things nice.
Speaker 2: We think we live in the culinary capital of the world here in Melbourne. Yeah, if you are in Melbourne, what's your first stop?
Speaker 3: Oh you put me on the spot. I'd have to go back on my brain. I last time I was in town. I did a whole list, and I'm going to dig them out and give it to your social media persson, because you're just gonna hear me scrap around. But I ate so well every single day, and I love that city, the city of lanes and brilliant sort of like neighborhood restaurants. And yeah, last time I was there, every day I posted a restaurant. It was in the paper the next day. The noodle joined at the airport's quite really, well, is it any good? Sometimes you get are they pulling their own noodles?
Speaker 6: Melbourne and Sydney always so competitive with each other, So I'm going to put you on the spot.
Speaker 3: Listen, I think, well, okay, you're going to ask me he's.
Speaker 4: Got better restaurants and who's got better coffee.
Speaker 3: Look, look, i'm a foreigner in your country, like the world is in this, you know, the weird things happening in the world. If I say which one I prefer, I'm going to get hunted down by an army army of nonnerds from that absolutely. But can I say, like, it's it's really good to have competitive spirit, And I would say they're two very fine, world class cities for food, and I always loved adventuring in the cities and there's obviously the famous places, but also the underground places that are coming.
Speaker 6: Through without our Melbourne, with our Melbourne Sydney rivalry side, Do you really think Australia does some of the best food in the world, because we really are quite proud on our culinary.
Speaker 5: Are you on? Are you googling Melbourne?
Speaker 3: Response? Now, I'm just doing my list. Yeah, Lagoon Dining, Sarira or s e r i A. We've got flower Dramas, normal, normal, Calma Limas. I think that might have been a different night, Cumula Sorry I'm dyslexic, Leonardo's Pizza Maker and Manga.
Speaker 4: That's a good list.
Speaker 1: Jamie Oliver Jamie Oliver us obviously Trump in the news this morning. He's Becky And have you ever cooked for any world leaders? And if you're cooking for Trump, would you slide something?
Speaker 3: I don't think you need to. I think he's got everything he needs sliding in his in his dinner.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I have done quite a few. I've cooked for the Aussie Prime ministers, of the Italian Prime minister, Royals, royals for sure, cook for the Queen the King, the Queen, like I had lunch with the Queen because five of us.
Speaker 1: We've always said we love we would have loved to have got on the G and t's with her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, apparently she did like a G and T just five of you. Who was it who was at the tab Well, it was three out, there's me. I think it was the head of the police and some Olympian and I think like every couple of weeks they just get some randoms from the country and take through. I was very honored to be there and it was a good laugh, and they were that she was very on the ball.
Speaker 6: Is there any is there ever anyone you've got nervous cooking for Oprah?
Speaker 3: I think I've got nervous cooking for Oprah, just because I think she's really interesting. And what did you? I can't remember because the pain of the nerves was too hich But she came. She came to fifteen restaurants and it was it's so funny because it's very it's pretty Unbritish as well, like as soon as she walked through the whole restaurant stood up and just clapped, you know, the bridge don't really do that, and down idiots.
Speaker 5: She bought a computer at the max store.
Speaker 3: But we had a lovely, lovely time and we cooked her a lovely meal. She loved the concept. She loved that thing. And then as she left, they stood up again and started cooking, and one customer went, we love you, Whoopie, and it's no.
Speaker 5: Shot, no can everyone.
Speaker 3: It was the worst thing in the world. I worked with her for eight weeks and she she was as lovely as you would expect.
Speaker 2: She was one last one from me. I was nursing and mean hangover yesterday from the races, and I.
Speaker 5: Was hypothetically, we could be in this, we could in this.
Speaker 2: But to my looking in the cupboard, what on earth do I have?
Speaker 4: What's the cure?
Speaker 2: What do you go to if you have one or two too many g and tea's or croppies or something similar.
Speaker 3: I think like some form of fat. Yeah, really good. So I think like I always go like, eggs are quick, like eggs chili and cheese sort of vibe. You can turn a tortilla like eggy cheesy chili thing really really quickly, and it just if it's just a tiny bit too hot, it just seems to get you sweating and get your blood pumping. It's a natural antiseptic, and I'm sure it cleanses your body or not.
Speaker 6: I couldn't think of anything more worse than eggs and chili if I was hungover.
Speaker 4: Really a spacific house for some Chinese.
Speaker 3: No, that's a good vibe as well. I used also when I've been really bad, like, just a little handful of fennel seeds sorts you out, does it.
Speaker 6: We must go to the health food shop and get some fennel seeds.
Speaker 4: Will be tomorrow. We're all going to the races as a team.
Speaker 6: Today we'll be in here showing down on fennel seats for breakfast.
Speaker 3: You'll be smelling great the.
Speaker 5: Races.
Speaker 1: Hey, Jamie, mate, we love you. The new cookbook is awesome, simple Jamie. Yes, it is a great cook Actually, people.
Speaker 6: Who can't cook like me, right, it is. Actually, we've been upset simple a lot of it.
Speaker 3: It's twenty five years of learning, whether it's design or the recipes or the principal recipes which are like mothership recipes where I really hold your hand to simplifying it. And yeah, I think people are cooking less now than ever, just because of life and technology.
Speaker 4: Yeahubers.
Speaker 1: Well, he's got a new show named after us as well, Fast and Simple Well premiere on Friday, fifteenth of November at seven point thirty on ten and ten play Hey Jamie, it's been absolute true mate, a gentleman.
Speaker 5: Lauren, Wake Up Feeling Good.
Speaker 4: No One Dred Jason Lauren.
Speaker 5: Only on Socials.
Speaker 3: Yeah,