Speaker 1: Late General, welcome the Late Debate.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us on the Late Debate. I'm James Macpherson with Lisdorra and Caleb Bond coming up. The football fan who went early getting a tattoo to celebrate England's victory in the European Championship. He got the tattoo before the final had been played. Needless to say a little bit of regret there. We'll talk about that guy a little later. Plus, when we look at the papers, the Greens want to end the independence of the Reserve Bank. What could possibly go wrong? And a very unusual smuggling investigation in Tasmania. All of that when we get to the papers. But first, the assassination attempt at the weekend has raised a lot of questions, not least of which how was it that a rooftop with a clear line of sight to where Donald Trump was speaking just one hundred and twenty meters away was left completely unattended. Well Agent Snowflake, also known as the Secret Service Director Kimberly Cheetle went on the ABC to explain it was all a matter of workplace health and safety.
Speaker 1: Should that roof have been secure?
Speaker 3: Period?
Speaker 4: That building in particular has a sloped roof at its highest point, and so you know there's a safety factor that would be considered there that we wouldn't want to put somebody up on a sloped roof, and so you know, the decision was made to secure the building from inside.
Speaker 2: You have got to be kidding me. They couldn't put agents on the roof because it was sloped. My driveway has a bigger slope than that roof. And it's funny how you know the Secret Service agents had no trouble navigating that dangerous slope when they were on the roof after the gunman had shot Donald Trump in the side of the head. There they are on that dangers roof. Call workplace health and safety basically a cliff basically. It's also funny how the Secret Service agents when they were poised behind Donald Trump during his speech, were on a slope roof. Have a look at this vision. Here's the Secret Service agents, the snipers behind Donald Trump while he's speaking. That looks to me.
Speaker 5: Slow.
Speaker 6: How would that has got to be a five degree slope right there? Call it.
Speaker 1: I'm surprised. I'm surprised.
Speaker 5: Could you imagine them being asked to do this?
Speaker 6: Your mission if you choose to accept it, and they're like, excuse me, did you just say there's a slope involved.
Speaker 2: I think those threes are the only two agents who passed the slope roof, and we're therefore certified beyond that.
Speaker 7: Well, this is this is the problem, and we know the Secret Service it's.
Speaker 1: Such a terrible job.
Speaker 7: Clearly they've unionized, right, and so they got their union rep to call up Cheetle and say, look, we're not going up on any slope roofs Miss, We're not going to do it. And I love that she says, Look, it was really about safety. We had to worry about the safety of our often what the safety President Trump not being shot in the ear because you were won't to about the safety of your own officers, whose job, by the way, is to take a bullue take a bullet off of their lives for the prediction of presidents and former presidents.
Speaker 2: Look, it's one thing to take a Bullet's another thing to sprain an ankle, Caleb, And we should point out that Secret Service agents and government snipers have no problem guarding the White House, where Joe Biden incidentally resides. Have a look at this image.
Speaker 4: Check out.
Speaker 6: Slope on that guy is basically he's what is it hang gliding at this point?
Speaker 5: What's the one where you like.
Speaker 2: Literally free falling? Basically, yes, that that.
Speaker 7: Should not be allowed, but we shouldn't talk about it too much because they might actually go and now flatten all the roofs on the White House and turn it into an architecture.
Speaker 2: Can you believe this Kimberly cheetool though, I mean, she oversees the biggest stuff up in probably our lifetime, refuses to quit and then trots out such ridiculous excuses as well, it was all about workplace health.
Speaker 1: I know, it is ridiculous.
Speaker 7: And again it opens up this question about whether or not it was a quote unquote inside job.
Speaker 1: Knowledge of what was going to.
Speaker 7: Happen, because I look to sit there with a straight face and say, we couldn't send anyone up on that roof because it had a slope on it. Meanwhile, they were on the other roof over the other side that did have a slope on it.
Speaker 1: We just left the one roof available that would.
Speaker 7: Give someone a direct line of sight to the President that was behind the crowd, so that the crowd.
Speaker 1: Couldn't see that he was there.
Speaker 7: It all just sounds too perfect, right, And a Republican representative for Florida, Corey Mills, who himself is a former sniper, has been.
Speaker 1: Raising exactly this question.
Speaker 7: He has it in the back of his head that perhaps there was something deliberate going on here, but he's a bit scared to raise it.
Speaker 8: I have a very difficult time not leaning myself towards this was intentional as opposed to fecklessness.
Speaker 5: Wait, talk to me about that.
Speaker 9: I actually heard you say this right the day after which I wanted to ask you about what do you mean intentional? You know, I mean an intentional failure on the part of.
Speaker 8: No, I wouldn't say an intentional failure on the part of but I got to just you know, I sit here and I scratch my head, and you don't want to be the conspiracist.
Speaker 2: You don't want to be the.
Speaker 9: I'm telling you because that's what it's leaning to.
Speaker 8: No, I know, and that's the issues that you walk this fine balance of you're not trying to be a conspiracist, but you look as you go how could this have gone?
Speaker 9: So? But it's one thing if someone on the street says it, it's not I mean you Cormill's member of Congress, former sniper. You saying it, I mean, it makes my eyebrows go up.
Speaker 7: I didn't actually see her eyebrows go up, and that clip to me perfectly honest. Maybe she's had botox, but but you know, she says right at the end, she lets the game away a former sniper.
Speaker 1: I mean, when a former sniper is.
Speaker 7: Asking those questions, maybe we should pay a little bit of attention.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he said he's done thousands of advanced teams. He's done thousands of these. He's the sniper. He said he's done it thousands of times himself. So this guy knows what he's talking about. And the prevailing question is, so we knew that the cops knew he was there. One of them even talked to him. We knew that the Secret Service had been alerted by the cops that they were there, and this sniper was well within their scope. They knew he was there too. Nothing was done to neutralize the threat. You'd think the least you could do in that situation is get Donald Trump off stage. You know that this guy's an imminent threat. You know where he used, He's got a direct.
Speaker 5: Line of sight. He is in perfect position.
Speaker 6: Andy has a rifle with a scope attached, so you know what he's there to do. The very least you can do is not leave the president a sitting duck on the stage, and that is what they did.
Speaker 5: Also, does someone want to explain to.
Speaker 6: Me why in the ten days before this shooting occurred Donald J. Trump's truth social stocks were bet against like you wouldn't believe.
Speaker 5: Check out this graph. They skyrocketed.
Speaker 6: The shorts on this stock skyrocketed the week before the hit. Shorts went from seven million to fifteen million between July first and July twelfth, meaning will certainly strongly suggesting people or large organizations were predicting that by Monday the stock would plummet, something that would have undoubtedly happened had Trump died in Pennsylvania.
Speaker 5: So again, another very big question to be asking.
Speaker 6: Ourselves, since we know, hey, follow the money and you usually find some pretty good answers, is who knew who knew to short those stocks and why did they do so. This reminds me of the day before nine to eleven, when investors were tipped off and bet against United Airlines and American Airlines, the two biggest, most successful airlines in America.
Speaker 5: Their stocks just plummeted. Why how did these people know?
Speaker 6: And an investigation found out who had, in fact obviously known something and put out a well placed newsletter in time for investors to be able to do this to miraculously bet against these two major airlines the day before, because obviously they took a major hit post nine to eleven. I just think this is beyond conspiracy theory, Congressman Cory.
Speaker 5: Anyone who can.
Speaker 6: Just simply look at the facts at this point has to know this guy can't have been acting alone.
Speaker 5: It's literally impossible.
Speaker 6: And the narrative that people are being asked to believe that this twenty year old with no history of political extremism or extremism of any kind, actually could scale the roof with a rifle, take a shot unintercepted by anyone, endserved everything observed by everyone, and the only political thing he'd ever done in his entire life was some weeks before register as a Republican, and we're supposed to believe that this guy was just some radicalized political nutjob. I'm sorry, there's a lot of things that aren't adding up here, including why they took the kill shot on this guy when they could have easily before he shot at anyone, simply taken one of his arms out.
Speaker 5: He wouldn't have been.
Speaker 6: Able to take a shot, then neutralize the threat, and then we could have heard from him what the heck was going on, unless, of course, whoever was really behind it, if we're rolling with this theory, took him out much like they did Oswald back in the days of JFK.
Speaker 2: Well, it's certainly hard to believe the Secret Service could be this inept. New vision continues to surface of them trying to deal with the situation. Have a look at this. This is the Secret Service and police trying to get to where the shooter was. Talk about ham fisted.
Speaker 10: Take it out like you mean.
Speaker 2: Now? Does that look like a crack security team for you?
Speaker 1: Get out, get out the bullbar and.
Speaker 6: Go for now.
Speaker 7: It's just look if you if we did not have this stuff actually happened, you couldn't make it upul not wish to live in a period of time, in a period of history where I could get to sit on live television every night and just talk about the weirder and weirder and weirder and weirder stuff that keeps happening in the US, particularly with relation to this election, and of course the president himself, Joe Biden has been asked about what's gone on here and his dealings with the Secret Service post Trump being shot in the ear, and you don't get a lot of confidence out of what Biden said about it all, either because he was asked in an interview until this point. Of course, Cheatle has now done an interview interview, but she hadn't when Biden was interviewed and he was asked, why haven't we heard publicly from Cheatle and.
Speaker 1: The Secret Service?
Speaker 7: But also more specifically, have you spoken to Cheatle? Pay very close attention here to the person that Biden claims he had spoken to side note, it ain't a woman.
Speaker 3: Is it acceptable that you have still not heard at least publicly from the Secret Service?
Speaker 2: Directing I've heard Jehan? Have you heard from her publicly?
Speaker 3: Public grafts sat down in a situation room downstairs, Secret Service, the FBI and that security agencies, the Homeland Security, all the major elements.
Speaker 7: Oh, I've heard from him. I don't think it can get him in depth. You were looking at Cheatle or speaking to Cheatle on the phone and you notice that the woman that was appointed basically by your wife and her stuff, and you're not aware.
Speaker 1: That the person leading the Secret Service is a woman.
Speaker 2: Did you notice how the NBC interviewer ran cover for Bodle.
Speaker 1: It's like very corrected.
Speaker 2: To be fair, no one in the Biden White House really is sure what a woman is anyway.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and we don't want to assume her gender.
Speaker 6: But the fact that everyone still has their jobs, not a single head has rolled, no one has resigned in disgrace.
Speaker 5: He saw them there trying to ram down a fence.
Speaker 6: They had locked themselves out of the very area in which security should have been the tightest, and they're like quick, got to get to the shooter.
Speaker 5: Just keep ramming the fence.
Speaker 6: There was actually another fence after that one as well, and so they had to do it the second time. So the Secret Service had literally locked themselves out of the red zone, the most the most dangerous zone. I'm telling you, the fact that nobody has lost their job already, that is that tells you something is very wrong here, Something is very very subt.
Speaker 7: I always thought, you know, working as a journalist, that my backup option. If I thought that my career might be in the toilet was to go to the ABC, and then I would have a job for life, because of.
Speaker 5: Course, he can you really think they take you per?
Speaker 7: You just do a JD vance and do a mere culper and I've come to the.
Speaker 1: Son.
Speaker 7: I'll go over to the ABC and then I'll have a job for life, nothing to worry about. Increasingly, I'm thinking, if all this goes up the Crapper, maybe I should just go and join the Secret Service, because I.
Speaker 1: Mean it sounds like to shelter over there.
Speaker 2: Anyone could get a job there. So the question remains, how on Earth did a twenty year old d weeby kid manage to get up onto a rooftop where Secret Service agents feared to tread lest they breach workplace health and safety and rules. Well, the answer has been supplied. He had helped from the Iranians. Apparently. How convenient that news has just been dropped that the Biden administration received information some weeks ago from a quote human source that the Iranians were planning on assassinating Donald Trump. Evidently they had warned the Secret Service and Trump's campaign and the Secret Service. This is my favorite part of this story. They had boosted Trump's security of this terror threat. So I ask you, if that was the boosted security, imagine what the B team would have been like.
Speaker 1: What was it like before?
Speaker 6: If that's the booster, probably all women, just those women fumbling around trying to figure out how to holmster a pisiness.
Speaker 2: Now, of course, back in twenty twenty, Trump had the head of the Iranian Islamic Revolution Regard assassinated, So it's no secret that the Iranians would love payback on Donald Trump. But at the end of this report, conveniently, it says there is currently no connection between the Iranian plot and to the weekend shooter Thomas Matthew Crooks, according to several people briefed on the matter, So at the moment, there's no connection, but you know, just keep that as a possibility rather than speculate on an inside job.
Speaker 5: First it wasn't so true. Now it's Iran.
Speaker 6: This is the definition, ladies and gentlemen, of escalating quickly.
Speaker 7: But I mean, if it was Iran, they don't need to call in some like weak, little weedy, twenty year old white boy who looks like he had no friends at school. Just in the Hooty's right. I mean they've got all these people on speed dial. They fund all of them as if he's the bloke they go for.
Speaker 2: We speaking of the Houties, I mean the Secret Service could have borrowed a drone that might have helped.
Speaker 1: It could have been helpful.
Speaker 6: I just find it interesting that the headlines are now featuring Iran regarding this plot to get rid of Trump, when just hours earlier the new VP nominee had said, we've got to stop taking it easy on Iran and just go in there and let it rip.
Speaker 11: A lot of people recognize that we need to do something with Iran, but not these weak little bombing runs. If you're going to punch the Iranians, you punch a barrot. And that's what he did when he took out some of the money. By the way that action, people said that it would lead to broad a war, it actually brought peace and actually checked the Uranians and slowed them.
Speaker 6: Down a little bit coincidence, I think. Not moving on to RFK Junior now, because he has been long since a friend of Trump, despite running against him obviously first for the DAMS, then as an independent well, Trump obviously gave him a call after he'd dodged a bullet quite literally, and somehow this entire call was filmed and leaked onto the internet. For some strange reason, RFK had President Donald Trump on speakerphone and didn't think.
Speaker 5: To shut off filming. Here's a bit of it.
Speaker 1: Could just turned my head to show the jib and something wrapped me.
Speaker 3: It sounded like a.
Speaker 6: Giant, like the world's largest measido and it was.
Speaker 1: It was a bullet over you know what?
Speaker 3: Did they call it an AR fifteen or something?
Speaker 6: As a big guy for shame RFK with friends like these, who needs enemies. The entirety of the call was leaked online and they discussed a great many other.
Speaker 5: Things as well.
Speaker 6: And Trump is such a good friend to RFK that he has said on his social network platform because he refuses to use any others. Still, in light of what is going on in the world today, I believe it is imperative that Robert F. Kennedy Junior receives Secret Service protection immediately. Given the history of the Kennedy family. This is the obvious right thing to do. Because, of course RFK has been refused up until this point, despite the fact that he's not doing badly in the polls and is legitimately running and therefore needs security like everybody else does. Trump still went into bat for him after this terrible, terrible lead.
Speaker 1: It's extraordinary.
Speaker 7: Look, the first rule of talking to someone on speaker phone is that you tell them that they are on speaker.
Speaker 5: Phone, how many other people are in the race thing to.
Speaker 2: Do and also being recorded by a third party right video, because.
Speaker 7: He has said RFK Junior has said that he profusely apologizes whatever, that he had a third party videographer in the room who was there when he took the phone call, and then obviously at some point via someone, that video was leaked. Now, if you get a phone call from Donald Trump, it's not all that often you get a phone call from Donald Trump, particularly just after he's been shot in the ear. Not only would you not talk to him on speakerphone without letting him know you were doing so, you'd pick up the phone and you'd go to the next room, wouldn't you Like, you wouldn't stand there unless you're trying to impress the guy in front of this videographer put Trump on speaker phone and go, oh my god.
Speaker 1: Guess who called me?
Speaker 7: It's Donald Trump like it's just a treacherous sort of thing to do.
Speaker 1: But it's interesting.
Speaker 7: In this phone call, Trump appears to be courting RFK Jr. Asking him in someway or suggesting that he wants him to come across to his campaign. He says, I would love you to do something, and I think it would be I've got to read this in Trump's voice, because reading the trun script, it really sounds like Trump.
Speaker 1: He says, I think it would be so good for you and so big for you.
Speaker 7: Now what he's doing there effectively saying to RFK Junior, look forget about your campaign and running on your own. Come and join me and we'll do some good things together. Part of me why does Trump want potentially for RFK to not run. Is Trump worried that perhaps he could bleed votes to RFK Jr.
Speaker 1: And he's trying to neutralize.
Speaker 7: That threat because I would have thought that in all likelihood RFK might actually pull some votes away from Biden and the Dems, and that that would ultimately play well for Trump.
Speaker 1: So I think he's trying to court him. I'm not sure.
Speaker 6: I think he's pulling for both though, because people who don't want to vote for Biden, but are also abowt never Trump is, RFK gives them a very very He's a great third option, and in certain seats that's make or break.
Speaker 5: You don't want to split that vote.
Speaker 6: So obviously Trump team would be thinking in certain seats that really count if he joins our tribe where over the line. If he doesn't, this is going to split the vote in a way that could end up being very detriminateive.
Speaker 2: It'd also be a great propaganda coup to have RFK decide, you know what, I would prefer Donald Trump to be president and Joe Biden that The other thing I thought about that phone call is Donald Trump shows a good sense. I mean, I don't think that league will hurt Trump. He knows a good sense of humor. Describing the bullet as a giant mosquito. He talks about the fact that Joe Biden had called him, and he says to RFK that Joe Biden was actually very nice. And so you learn from that phone called Donald Trump's not there bagging his opponent. He's actually quite gracious. And Trump is very impressive. I mean, I think this was the day after he's been shot in the side of the head.
Speaker 5: And you can hear him.
Speaker 2: He's in good spirits, played a round of golf, and now he's back on the campaign trail doing deals. Here is the mass of the deal. So he comes out of it quite well.
Speaker 7: But then do we want to go down the conspiracy wrote again and say that RFK was in on all of it with Trump, and the idea was that the call would be leaked because it makes Trump look so good.
Speaker 1: I know, it's a bit fantastic.
Speaker 7: I never know the day, but you never know, You really never know, but it is.
Speaker 1: It's interesting.
Speaker 7: You raised the point about how well it would play to say that that he's come across and he would prefer Trump over Barden, And of course that would play.
Speaker 1: Directly into the selection of J. D.
Speaker 7: Vans as his vice president, who, of course is someone who previously had criticized Trump quite heavily. It plays into all the people who've been speaking at the Republican National Convention this week who've been saying that, you know, we voted for Biden in twenty twenty and now we're going to vote for Trump in twenty twenty four. To have someone who comes from a very famous Democrat family to say that they were endorsing Trump would probably be political dynamite. Speaking of the Republican National Convention, they got into day two today and I have to say, look, they do politics in America so much better than we do politics in Australia, at least when it comes to the entertainment factor. Right, we have the most boring, up and down straight politicians in this country. And you might argue that's a good thing because it generally means they're a safer pair of hands. But because in the US they treat politics like sports, you know, state of origin as it is to many of you, here is what politics is to a lot of Americans. So the entertainment has been rolling thick and fast at the RNC this week, and today was no exception where they rolled out a montage of Donald Trump's famous dance moves. I don't know whether they've done him dirty here, so I think it is. It is a great shame that Donald Trump does not drink because watching him with those dance moves.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine if.
Speaker 7: The bloke got on the source, hit the dance floor at the karaoke bar, he would be an absolute man.
Speaker 5: I don't know what you're talking about they're great moves.
Speaker 6: You're twenty I not can't pull something off like that late.
Speaker 1: I can do it as well.
Speaker 5: I'm going to dad shuffle down. He's like, sweet, yeah.
Speaker 1: Good, it's pretty good.
Speaker 5: But he's said the rallies love it well. With the y m c A. You're locking in the gave.
Speaker 6: Before the lgbt IQ's are like, oh, maybe that's not.
Speaker 7: Because this that's the thing, right, Like the convention has basically been like a rock concert, and in fact.
Speaker 1: They've had a rock band there.
Speaker 7: And you saw in that clip earlier of jd Vance when he was talking about Iran, like they've got the music going in the background. It's it's just a real great background to all of this stuff. Of course, one of the other iconic I hate using that word, but you know it is kind of iconic, the image of Trump coming out on the first day yesterday at.
Speaker 1: The convention with that big old bandage over his ear.
Speaker 7: Well, few of the delegates got in on the fun today and rocked up with a few bandages themselves. Have looked at these photographs we have here of Arizona, Stacey Goodman and Joe Niglia who've rocked up there with the bandages on their own ears join him a bit of the fun there.
Speaker 1: I mean, we just wouldn't do that.
Speaker 7: Can you imagine going along to a campaign launch for the Labor Party or the Liberal Party and getting anything near that kind of entertainment?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Or the guy that we played last night who got up to do the benediction and took trumpe blot.
Speaker 5: It's gonna be the best blessing. You're gonna be so blessed.
Speaker 6: Can you imagine someone getting up at say the Labor National Conference and speaking in an alban Easy Lish for something like everyone would be like, you can't do that.
Speaker 5: But one of my personal highlights from the RNZ on day two was this one.
Speaker 6: I don't know who the dude is who's even speaking, but nothing prepared me for the last four seconds of the video that you're about to see.
Speaker 3: Bottom line to every single thing that's going on in this great country today is one thing. We become totally unhinged if Donald Trump is not elected in November, that chunky boy.
Speaker 5: Has got my vote.
Speaker 6: And I'm not talking about the governor who was speaking. I mean who were in Australia would bring along their bulldog to just sit next to them while they address tens of thousands of people at the Republican National Conference.
Speaker 5: I mean, this boy's in it to win it.
Speaker 2: Look clearly he's a very nervous public speaker, and that was his emotional support dog to give him confidence.
Speaker 1: Is he the lieutenant governor?
Speaker 7: Is that what they talks about how America will be unhinged if Donald Trump doesn't get elected. But the guys pretty unhinged watching a dog standing sitting there on stage during a political speech. But again again, I mean that's something you would just never get in politics in this country.
Speaker 2: But he rocks with his dog, and our politicians would have a bulldog, have a poodle?
Speaker 1: Oh well, that's what.
Speaker 7: What's what's Toto? What's total to one of those brutal law whatever the hell they are?
Speaker 1: Albanesi's dog? Is it a poodle? No, it looks a bit poodly.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 5: It's one of those I don't know he had a dog. Now I feel sorry it didn't know Elbow had a dog.
Speaker 1: The planes named after him. Toto won.
Speaker 7: He's always going on a walk of the plane and it's the number one thing you want it.
Speaker 1: You want to seem relatable. I've got a dog.
Speaker 9: I'm like you.
Speaker 1: He's like, no, no, no, I'm not going to be relatable. I've got a dog. And this dog goes on stage. He doesn't go for walks. He sits up here like a badass.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about rock music for a moment. Tenacious D turns out are not so Tenacious after all. They've canceled their entire Australian tour after the uproar over band member Kyle Gas calling for another attempt on Donald Trump's life. Just in case you haven't seen the vision from their concert in Sydney on Monday, Kyle Gas was asked what he'd like for his sixty fourth birthday, and here's how he replied, Trump next time. So for his birthday, he hopes that the next shooter doesn't miss charming stuff. Well today, of course they've done a big apology because there's absolute outrage, aside from the audience who laughed. But Kyle Gas had this to say. He said, I don't condone violence of any kind in any form against anyone, which is kind of curious since just twenty four hours ago he called for renewed violence against Donald Trump. He added I'm incredibly sorry for my severe lack of judgment. Liz is calling for someone to be assassinated a lack of judgment. That's what you would call telling your wife her but doesn't look big in those genes. That would be a lack of judgment.
Speaker 7: Or James, James Chandon, you said telling your wife that who but doesn't look big in the genes would be a lack of judgment.
Speaker 1: I thought, no, I said looks no, No, no, you said doesn't. Either way, there would be a movie would be you would be in trouble.
Speaker 2: Calling for a politician to be assassinated is not a lack of judgment. It's not even a severe lack of Judgment's a lack of humanity. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Look, I wouldn't say it on a stage.
Speaker 7: I wouldn't say it privately either, but but I tend to think, look, he should be allowed to say. I don't think you should be drummed out of the country.
Speaker 2: You have never been sitting a few nights talking about how the Democrats I have incited this, and now someone comes to Sydney says exactly the same, more probably worse than most of the Democrats have said. Am we're going to defend him.
Speaker 7: No, I'm not defending him. I'm just defending his right to say it. I told you I don't agree with what he said. I'm just defending his right to say it. What has happened here is that they have taken the decision to cancel the tour.
Speaker 1: Now that is simply.
Speaker 5: Event. The the buildings that they were going to be held in canceled on them.
Speaker 6: So while they come out fay, oh we're canceling the tour, it was kind of canceled on them. But this makes them look better if as a pr move they just say, oh, well, we're canceling it. Jack Black has come out the lead singer of the band, if you can even call it a band, it sounds terrible and Jack Black can't sing, but he's come out saying, oh, I was completely blindsided.
Speaker 1: I was shocked.
Speaker 6: If you know the politics of either of these guys, you know that they are talking through their teeth here they're saying what must be said, and I dare say that they both they both meant it. I mean Jack Black did nothing to push back on the night, and that was when it counted.
Speaker 5: Obviously, if he'd done a quick oh, this has gone too far. We take it back.
Speaker 6: But my question is, when it comes to incitement, etc. And so on, where did you draw the line? Because we've we played a comic on Monday Night who much smaller than Jack Black. She had over eighty thousand followers, but she was saying the same and she was posting it on her socials. Weeks earlier, we played a clip of some actress in Hollywood. He was literally saying, Joe Biden, take this guy out. He is the modern day Hitler.
Speaker 5: And if he were Hitler, you.
Speaker 6: Know that you'd take him out if you had a chance, take this guy out.
Speaker 5: We played that for you guys weeks ago.
Speaker 6: So my question is there's so many people cracking this joke and intimating it in many ways. I mean, here's just an everyday lady by the name of Linda Peterson. She took to her Facebook to write, Dan, he didn't die, well, at least one supporter did. I'll take what I can get. My heart goes out to the family of the shooter. Know that he died doing what needed to be done. Hopefully someone will accomplish the task before we vote.
Speaker 5: So if we're going to start saying.
Speaker 6: Okay, we now deport you from our country because you said this line. Where are we drawing the line when people all over social media are already echoing these sentiments, coming out.
Speaker 5: With them on their own.
Speaker 6: We've heard this kind of rhetoric for years from the Democrats, not just saying that he's illegitimate, but from the President of the United States Biden, saying.
Speaker 5: He's the greatest threat to democracy.
Speaker 6: This is the end of the world as we know it is a rock star standing on stage in Sydney where no one's got access to Trump anyway, So.
Speaker 2: We used to look global audience. That video has gone all around the world. Five minutes after he said it. It's clearly he's calling for someone to be killed. That's illegal. He should immediately What about all the comics who have done so, they should be prosecuted.
Speaker 6: Okay, so that's a lot of prosecution, Linda put You either have laws, Lady mac is onto your is.
Speaker 2: We have laws against incitement and calling for people to be killed, or you say, oh no, it's fine as corporated.
Speaker 5: Well, recently ches in Western Sydney apparently there are laws on incitement.
Speaker 2: That's a great point.
Speaker 6: So it to me, either we go free slather where libertarian central everyone can say whatever the heck they want, or there has to be defined rules.
Speaker 5: But this arbitrary type depends on the way you say it and in what setting you say it. It just it can never work that way.
Speaker 2: I didn't even buy the idea that that was a joke.
Speaker 1: I hope that it wasn't.
Speaker 2: Miss where's the punchline in that it's it's a statement?
Speaker 5: They absolutely mention.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well there's there's not a punchline. There's just an ending to it ultimately, which is which is what he wants. But look, you know they've canceled.
Speaker 1: They're off out of here.
Speaker 7: I don't think any of us are crying too hard about that. Now, before we go to a break, I read some great news today, and you know, we're finally moving on from all the Trump stuff and the fun and frivolity of the r n C. Some even better news is that Microsoft and John Deere, two very big companies, have decided to clean out their diversity, Equity and Inclusion arm so so we do not need them anymore. Microsoft has laid off its entire DEI team because now they say that it's no longer business critical. Perhaps they've worken up over there and worked out that making money.
Speaker 1: Is business critical.
Speaker 7: Longer making money is business critical, or getting involved in social politics, perhaps not so much. Microsoft's spokesman Jeff Jones, he said.
Speaker 1: That don't worry about it. Nothing that's really changing here. He said, our focus on diversity and inclusion.
Speaker 7: Is unwavering, and we are holding firm on our expectations, prioritizing accountability and continuing to focus on this work, except, of course, that you've just sacked the entire team that you hired in order to try and achieve those ins perhaps because they were all de Hires themselves weren't doing the job that you hired them to do.
Speaker 1: And John Dear, who of course manufactures tractors, is.
Speaker 7: Doing exactly the same thing, And you might ask yourself the question why did attractor manufacturer needed DEI team?
Speaker 1: Anyway?
Speaker 7: I mean, I've never walked into a shop and gone, can I have the gay tractor?
Speaker 2: Please?
Speaker 7: But they say our customers trust and confidence in us are the utmost importance to everyone at John Deere. We fully intend to earn it every day and in every way we can. Isn't it good to just see that a little by little this stuff is starting to fall by the wayside because they're realizing, hell were we doing in the first.
Speaker 2: Or Microsoft spent one hundred and fifty million dollars on diversity equity inclusion since twenty twenty after George Floyd's death, and I think someone simply asked, what do we actually get for that one hundred and fifty million and no one could nominate anything.
Speaker 5: So esg points.
Speaker 2: Indeed, we're going to go to a break when we come back to look at what's making news in tomorrow's papers. That's coming up in just a second. Welcome back. Well, let's look at what's making news in tomorrow's papers. And calib the Australian newspaper, have been doing a series of articles looking at the Greens policies. It's quite enlightening.
Speaker 7: Indeed they have, and reading some of them, you'd think perhaps they'd taken a bullet to the head because here's this one Left has called a kneecap the RBA.
Speaker 1: It is just extraordinary.
Speaker 7: The Greens are urging Jim Charmers to muscle up to the Reserve Bank and override any decision to lift interest rates. In August, in a major attack on the institution's independence, with the minor party arguing that cash rate decisions are inherently political. Now they may well be correct insofar as that cash rate decisions can be inherently political. But what the Greens are suggesting here is that the entire point of the RBA be dismantled and that the treasurer basically starts running the RBA.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine? Can you imagine?
Speaker 7: And look, I have no truck with the RBA and its previous governor, Philip Low, who of course famously said that you won't get an interest rate rise until twenty twenty four. Go and borrow all this money to stimulate the economy, which people dutifully did. Then we overheated the economy, which Stevie Wonder could have seen coming, and then of course we had to raise interest rates to deal with that fact and put people through a hell of a lot of pain. I've got plenty of criticism of the RBA, but when you start saying that the treasurer ought to be running it, what you're going to end up in is an even worse situation where interest rates will never ever, ever, ever ever rise because you don't want to be the treasurer who does that and then inflation, I don't know, you end up like Zimbabwe where they have one hundred billion dollar notes for a load of bread.
Speaker 2: Nick McKim is the Greens finance spokesperson, which doesn't exactly fill you with a lot of confidence about what the country would look like if the Greens ever had influence.
Speaker 7: Man who wanted to lock up Brad Banducci.
Speaker 2: Exactly well, the man who accused everybody in the chamber of being psychopaths because they weren't doing anything about climate change. Their other economic policies include no surplus. In fact, they say it's disgusting that Australia is running a surplus. A super profits tax of course, because if we just tax the billionaires everything will be all right. And they want to remove funding. Would you believe it from private schools now?
Speaker 6: I just love that their answer to the many problems, most of which are created by the government, is to give more power to the government. To the front page of the Mercury, now shell shock. Here's a weird one for you. Exclusive three thousand allegedly illegal harvested Tasmanian bird eggs worth half a million dollars seized in global smuggling investigation. Federal officials have raided a property north of Hobart and seized more than three thousand bird eggs, including some thought to be a threatened species, after a Tasmanian man was identified as a suspect in a global Wildlife Prime investigation.
Speaker 5: Who knew that birdies had like a swat team of their own.
Speaker 6: But this is really interesting, especially after the story that we did a couple of weeks ago about the guy who was caught smuggling into China.
Speaker 5: Snakes four pants, one hundred and four snakes down his pants, and so naturally it looks like this is where this guy's struggling his eggs.
Speaker 2: If you're smuggling three thousand eggs in your pants, you'd have to walk very you'd walk like Joe Biden.
Speaker 5: I reckon.
Speaker 6: He had to come up with some sort of briefcase system in this situation, otherwise the eggs weren't gonna make it.
Speaker 10: Well.
Speaker 7: Look, I mean look, as a man, the idea of having one hundred and four snakes in my trousers just fills me with existential dread because you can imagine the pain if one of them decided to inflict a little bit of a bite on you. But clearly what's happening here is that there is an overseas market for these birds, and so he would then sell the eggs to China or wherever it might be at a good premium and make a lot of money out of it. Now I get that it's potentially an environmental risk to certain parts of the world, But part of me thinks, is that not a problem for other parts of the world to deal with?
Speaker 1: Like if he's managed to get eggs.
Speaker 7: From these birds and then he sells the eggs to someone overseas, what genuine damage is it doing to Australia. Like sure, if we're saying that there's only two of this particular species left, and so their eggs are obviously really valuable as a threatened species, because that could be the one bird that allows the species to continue propagating. But if he's collecting eggs and selling them to someone and it's not going to mean that they go extinct, I'm kind of struggling. He's running real business here, but I'm kind of struggling to see what the issue is.
Speaker 6: To be perfectly honest, I would assume it was more of a health safety thing.
Speaker 5: For the birds. How can you properly look after three thousand eggs?
Speaker 6: None of the chicks are dying inside apparently keeping them at the right temperatures, they're not hatching too soon.
Speaker 5: I don't think you can do that.
Speaker 2: Well, you'd have to look after them to I mean, there's no point, you know, taking them to China and they're all dead, So you'd have.
Speaker 5: To do well.
Speaker 7: I know, if you've paid this bloke a lot of money and your egg's dead on arrival, you're not going to be terribly happy.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: What are you doing if you haven't sold them before it's hatching time?
Speaker 6: Do you just.
Speaker 5: Shove to celebrate they won't survive?
Speaker 2: Well, you just story story, okay.
Speaker 1: Also on the.
Speaker 6: Front page of the MRK, poker back on cards in Tasmania.
Speaker 5: Get ready people.
Speaker 6: Social poker tournaments are back on the table after Finance Minister Nick Street issued in order to exempt them from the Gaming Control Act. The article goes on to explain that in November last year, the Treasurer said that poker games or tournaments which charge money to participate.
Speaker 5: Only be organized by casino operators.
Speaker 6: So Tasmanians, if you were enjoying a at home poker game with a.
Speaker 5: Pile of friends round the table. Illegal illegal daddy sat Daddy's busting down the door.
Speaker 7: I'm just struggling with the concept that in the beginning the Tasmanian government was like, if you have your mates around for poker on a Wednesday night and you're all chucking in money, like you're playing for money, that that is illegal. You're running some kind of illegal betting ring. I mean, can you imagine how many blokes in their sheds in Tasmania have been unwittingly breaking the law for the last year, Like it's just a thing that you do. We're going to play poker and we'll chuck some money. You, my friends are dead set criminals.
Speaker 1: You should have been locked up.
Speaker 7: I mean, god forbid, you met your sixteen year old son have a sick of beer at the same time. These are hardened criminals they have down there in Tasmania.
Speaker 2: Let's go to the front page of the Adelaide Advertiser. Nurse ratchet patrolling hospital corridors rats in the ra says The headline asked a rare standing for Royal Adelaide Hospital. A rat has been captured scurrying around an office space at Royal Adelaide Hospital, prompting warnings from a health boss. Mice and rodents are in open areas surrounding the hospital, and pest patrols have been ordered daily.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 2: The article goes on to say that there are suspicions that with cleaning hours being cut, that's what's led to rats in the hospital. I wonder, Liz, if the poor thing just got sick of waiting for an ambulance.
Speaker 5: It was like, this ramping is trash. I'm just getting straight in there. No. But also, how do you know that this wasn't someone's emotional support animal. It's just one and it was in the office area. Can you imagine how stressed the staff are so it could be a pet.
Speaker 2: It could have been one of the him.
Speaker 5: He looks pretty cute, he looks pretty clean. He looks like a rat.
Speaker 1: Something something something tells me, Liz, that's a stockphoto. I don't think he's the one that was that's him.
Speaker 7: But I'm just going to go and a limb here and say that if your emotional support animal is a rat, then you need a lot more than an emotional support animal like you should be you should you would be taken to the psych ward and assessed what the hell are you doing with your emotional support?
Speaker 2: You would need an emotional support animal to help you with your emotional support.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, I just going and get over it.
Speaker 7: But the subjects of the story, of course being that the cleaning hours have been cut, right, I mean, how bad a situation can the South Australian Health system be in if they're cutting the cleaning hours. Right, the one place you want to go to in the knowledge that it is hygieneriz and stafe and sterile and that there ain't going to be nothing in there of a danger to you is a hospital. And they're like, oh yeah, we better cut the cleaning hours at the hospital. They should like, I don't care if the cleaners are on one hundred grand a year. If that place is spotless, it's far better than the alternative.
Speaker 1: So they cut the cleans Now they've got rights in there.
Speaker 2: If the cleaners were represented by the CFMU, they'd be.
Speaker 1: On two exactly. Bring them on.
Speaker 2: We're going to go to a break. When we come about a football fan who went early celebrating England's European Championship loss, it's in a moment welcome back well. Obviously, the R and C conference is on Republican National Convention. We've been talking about it, Liz and a lot of reporters. They're doing live reports.
Speaker 6: Has it all going for them, proving that not all heroes wear cape. Some guy who attended the RNC decided to make the most of fake news. CNN also covering this proceedings is what he got up to.
Speaker 7: Campaign?
Speaker 5: Knew and when?
Speaker 10: Because I have talked to a number of people who have been on the ground for the former president in recent days and weeks who had no idea.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 10: One thing to remember is that Donald Trump is a very tight knit security team. He has been with the c detail for years. He is very clusive.
Speaker 6: Where is the Jeffrey Emstein client les? One of the most intelligent questions to ever make it on the CNN.
Speaker 2: The Jaws soundtrack? It was not part of the cn.
Speaker 7: It would be more entertaining if CNN did put tours over the top of a lot of their programming. But I love it every time something like this happens. One of the most obscure ones was the Tasmania election earlier this year, and people kept rocking up in different costumes behind because they still do it in the tally room in Tasmania and people kept rocking up with his son. He's on Big Wigs and some bloke rocked that with his phone numbers scralled across his shit.
Speaker 1: You know, at least we can have a little bit of fun in politics.
Speaker 7: Now before we go, I'm sure you're well aware that England once again coughed it up at the Euro's on the weekend.
Speaker 1: Well, one bloke by the name of Dan Thomas.
Speaker 7: He was pretty confident that they were going to pull it off, so confident that he went and got the winning tattoo before that even.
Speaker 1: Played the game.
Speaker 7: You can in the corner of the screen there the poor bugger, Oh my god, England Euro twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: Of course that did not happen.
Speaker 7: Spain pulled it off, as they did of course at Wimbledon as well on the weekend. Here is mister Thomas himself explaining that despite being such a duffer, he doesn't regret it.
Speaker 5: Have you been looking at the tattoo thinking why did I do this?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 7: I actually went back into the tattoo studio today because they wanted to have a look at it. So yeah, a couple of more friends that text me and said can you can you come in and have a look and we can have a look.
Speaker 2: At it again.
Speaker 1: But yeah, there's a little bit of why did I do it?
Speaker 9: But there's definitely no regrets.
Speaker 1: Definitely no regret.
Speaker 6: Only one of those manifesting things where you like, if I just think positive and I feel as if we've had it, then we will.
Speaker 2: It could be redeemed helpful of the Euro's played it like every second.
Speaker 1: Year you're asking that how many on the year on it?
Speaker 2: Didn't he every four years?
Speaker 11: Right?
Speaker 2: So all he needs to do if they win in twenty twenty eight, he just changes the four to an eight, which would not be even though I could do that.
Speaker 1: Good luck look look him solved.
Speaker 7: At the very least, it's a conversation piece because everyone is going to say, mate, what the hell were you thinking when you're did you know?
Speaker 5: We didn't?
Speaker 2: We gotta go. That's it from us stick around. Coming up right now is the Reader Pennety Show.