Speaker 1: From The Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Friday, July twenty five, twenty twenty five. Australian women who were strip searched at Doha Airport have won the right to sue Quitar Airways, with the full Federal Court overruling a judge who dismissed their case. A pregnant twelve year old girl has been given permission by a Supreme Court judge to have an abortion she conceived after consensual sex with her thirteen year old boyfriend, but at Queensland Hospital took the case to court, concerned she didn't have capacity to consent to a termination. Those stories alive now at the Australian dot com. Do a U a coincidence, not a capitulation. That's the Albanese government's explanation for suddenly dropping a twenty year ban on American beef. They say it's nothing to do with the fact that Donald Trump was demanding access for American farmers and now that Trump administration is claiming victory today, will it help our cause? When there's a florry of government staff visiting journalists in the press gallery in Canberra something's going on. When that florry is happening before dawn, you know it's big this time. What the staffers and politicians were doing on level two of the Senate Wing was announcing big news on beef imports. After a twenty year ban, Australia was about to drop bio security restrictions on American slaughtered beef being imported to Australia for sale because they said a rigorous biosecurity study says actually it's safe.
Speaker 2: On paper, this looks like it's pretty big capetulation to one of Donald Trump's key demands when it comes to Australian treat that's.
Speaker 1: Richard Ferguson, our Camber Bureau Chief.
Speaker 2: So it's clear that the Albanese government was very ready to put out its lines and to make it seem as much as possible that this has nothing to do with Donald Trump. So we had the Agriculture Minister, Julie Collins put out a very early morning statement. We even had government staffers going through the offices as early as possible to make sure the lines were correct, and then we had the minister herself stand up and the Trade Minister Don Farrell stand up in the press gallery to say this was a long term, ten year process, this was all about science. We're just announcing it now. Oh, it happens to be Donald Trump's biggest gripe about Australia when it comes to trade. All well, never mind that.
Speaker 1: He is Trump Beck in April, they.
Speaker 3: Won't take any of our beef. They don't want it because they don't want it to affect their farmers. And you know what, I don't blame them, but we're doing the same thing right now starting about midnight tonight, I would say.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, the government is very very stringent from the top down that this has nothing to do with negotiations on trade. However, I think it's fair to say that it's one of the great coincidences of Australian politics in recent years that a study saying we should let American import more beef happens to be released now. But you know, I think the joke at the moment is is there a secret, ten year, rigorous process on the PBS or steel or aluminium that we're about to see drop.
Speaker 1: Indeed, Trump's own Agriculture Secretary, Brooke L. Rowlands immediately put out a triumphal statement We've used an AI voice to read it for you.
Speaker 4: Make agriculture great again. Trade wins. President Trump secures greater agriculture market access to Australia for American beef. American farmers in Rand produce the safest, healthiest beef in the world. It's absurd that non scientific trade barriers prevented our beef from being sold to consumers in Australia for the last twenty years. Gone are the days of putting American farmers on the sidelines. This is yet another example of the kind of market access the President negotiates to bring America into a new golden age of prosperity.
Speaker 1: So why did we have a ban on American beef anyway? Mad cow disease. In nineteen eighty six, a British farmer noticed a couple of his cows were behaving strangely, dazed and uncoordinated. An autopsy confirmed they'd been infected with bovine spongeiform encephilopathy or BSE. It's an infectious protein that targets the brain, making it look spongy under a microscope, hence the name.
Speaker 5: Some scientists believe that it breaks some of the laws of nature as we know them, and thus maybe a novel form of life.
Speaker 1: Symptoms of BSE, also known as mad cow disease, can appear several years after infection, but once they do, death quickly follows. Those initial cases sparked a decade long disaster with global ramifications.
Speaker 2: An opinion poll yesterday found that a quarter of households had dropped beef from the family menu. Over half a million cows aged over thirty months have been cold since May.
Speaker 4: It is a devastating indictment of British government, probably one of the worst examples of British misgovernment since the war.
Speaker 1: It spread through thousands of herds because livestock eight feed made from the ground up remains of infected cattle. Humans can also contract mad cow by ingesting infected meat. It presents as kreutzfeld Yakub disease, a horrendous rapid onset of dementia and then death, untreatable, unincurable. It has cost the Health Service over a billion pounds. The practice of using cattle parts to feed livestock is now banned. For more than two decades, Australia banned the import of fresh and frozen beef from the US unless the life cycle of the beasts could be traced all the way from birth to slaughter house. But America has a huge and complex supply chain, with animals coming in from Mexico and Canada before being killed in the US and exported. The Americans said Australia's demands for traceability were unreasonable. Australia's held the line through several changes of government, but now Minister Julie Collins says the US has strengthened control measures and tracing systems.
Speaker 2: No what as I think difficult to process and all of that's with the government seeing that this as all completely coincidental, has nothing to do with tariffs. In June, when this was put to the Prime Minister that these kind of changes would happen, he said, no, we will do nothing to compromise on biosecurity.
Speaker 5: We have made it very clear to the United States that we will not compromise on bio security. We will not waken the measures that protect their farmers and producers from the races of disas or contamination.
Speaker 2: The government's line is we have done nothing to compromise on biosecurity. We've just removed the biosecurity barriers and made all these changes best on a ten year study. So it gets to the heart of the trickery of language that is being used here and is constantly being used by the government when it comes to Donald Trump. They do not like to talk about Donald Trump. They try everything they can to avoid talking about Donald Trump unless they can find a way to attack the Liberal Party by connecting them to Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: You know, the Prime.
Speaker 2: Minister, for example, has know a kind of stated response whenever he's asked anything about Donald Trump, which is, I'm not going to comment on everything the US President says. If you would have believed that any prime minister would have said that about Barack Obama, George Bush, Ronald Reagan, LBJJFK all the way to Eisenhower and Roosevelt. You know, I'm not going to comment on what the US President says. I mean, it just shows the kind of world we're living and both in terms of Albanesia and Trump, in a way.
Speaker 1: Australia desperately needs a deal on trade. Ever since Donald Trump ripped up our free trade agreement and imposed a blanket ten percent tariff which could soon rise to twenty percent on everything we send to the US, plus a fifty percent tariff on Australian steel and aluminium. America's pharmaceutical industry wants to sell more drugs here, which would probably mean higher prices for Australian patients on our pharmaceutic called Benefit Scheme or PBS. The White House is threatening a two hundred percent tariff on drugs manufactured in places like Australia unless we relax the PBS rules. And Anthony Alberanezi says he wants a meeting with Donald Trump, but Trump keeps putting it off. Let's assume what seems will be as Richard, which is that the Australian government has capitulated to what the Americans want on beef as part of a bigger improvement in their relationship or ensuring Australia gets a good deal. Why not just be honest about that.
Speaker 2: The obvious answer would be Claire, is that there has been a ten year study and the coincidence is true. Let's not discount this because we are cynical at heart. But it's also possible that the government once again does not want to look as if it's in a position of weakness. You know, the government has really been putting out the message over the past couple of weeks that no compromise is going to get us as good as a trading relationship as we had nearly twenty years ago between John Howard and Dori Stubby Bush. That is there belief. That's why they don't want to compromise on the PBS. The Albanezi government is following the presidents of the Morrison government during Trump's first term, in which it actually took them months to score a deal, but they got a much better deal than anybody else.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: For example, Japan has one of the absolutely hop targets of Trump when it comes to tariffs. I mean, you know, huge, huge tariffs. They have now done a deal. It's not a great deal, and the Prime Minister of Japan, who's already lost a majority in the lower House and just lost a majority in the Upper House, looks like he'll resign because he's saying, oh, well, I got a trade deal with Trump. I don't want to deal with this anymore. So it is part of the Albaneza government doesn't want to look weak when it comes to Trump. It doesn't want to look weak, which you know is pretty smart strategy in general, because we all know that Trump does not respond well to weakness. He likes people who are tough guys just like him.
Speaker 1: Coming up, I can't Anthony Albanesi and Kevin Rudd get FaceTime at the White House. Which how focused do you think the government is on actually getting a sit down with the United States, an exemption on some tariffs and some guarantees about UCUS.
Speaker 2: Well, the line from Anthony Alberanizi is that he's doing everything he can. Kevin Rudd is the US ambassador in Washington, is doing everything he can. The Foreign Minister, Penny Wong's doing everything she can do'n Farrell, the Trade Minister's doing everything he can. But when you look at the facts, we know that Kevin Rudd struggles to get much time with the West wing of the White House. We know that Anthony Albanesi is definitely not on top of Trump's list for leaders that he needs to call. Considering he's met with, you know, the Prime Minister of Ireland and all our nations at the White House, and he's talked to our G twenty partners, you know, from Starmer to Maloney to Macron dozens of dozens of times. And considering also the Prime Minister gets very agitated whenever he's asked, when are you going to meet with Donald Trump. You've got to remember at a recent international summit that JD Vance was at, the Vice President Albinizi was asked, will you meet with J.
Speaker 1: D Vance?
Speaker 2: And he said, no, I meet leader to leader. And then he goes to China and he meets with the Shanghai Party boss, he meets with the Premier, he meets with the chairman of the Chinese National People's Congress. So he's clearly meeting other people who aren't just the leader. So he has said he wants a good relationship with Donald Trump. Donald Trump has always been very positive about Anthony Albanezi whenever he's been askedying he's a good guy. So there's clearly some warmth in the phone conversations that I've had there. But it must be noted that many leaders have gone into the Oval Office and the president has been Donald Trump and done the Donald Trump performance. I mean, look at the Philippine President Marcos in the Oval Office with Donald Trump and Donald Trump starts saying that Obama is a villainous thug who's a trader.
Speaker 3: Baracus said Obama is the ringleader Hillary Clinton was right there with him, and so was Sleepy Joe Buden and so with the rest of them, call me Clapper. The whole group never has a thing like this happened in the history of our country.
Speaker 2: That will not be a comfortable position for Anthony Albineasi to be and it is not one that he would enjoy. You know, one can speculate that he is not rushing to experience that. Look, all the suggestions out of the White House at the moment is still that of all the countries that they like, we are at the top of the list. And there's no doubt that Australia meeting America where it wants to be on beef is going to help Anthony Albinezi in the future.
Speaker 1: That was The Australian's Richard Ferguson. You can check out all our outstanding political coverage anytime at the Australian dot Com dot a U