Speaker 1: Welcome to How Do They Afford That, The podcast that peaks into the financial lives of everyday Australians. I'm Michael Thompson. I'm a writer and the co host of the podcast Fear and Greed business news. As always, I am with Canna Campbell, financial planner, founder of sugar Mama TV, the financial literacy platform covering YouTube and podcasts and books and Instagram threads, TikTok and more. Hello, can a happy new Year.
Speaker 2: I am so motivated. I have had a break, I've recharged my batteries. I am ready to relaunch.
Speaker 1: You look motivated. There is a buzz about you if you casting around right because it is the new year, It's twenty twenty five. If you are not yet sure what to do for your new year's resolution, we are here to help because you what I would really like would be to make this year the year that you kind of take control of your money. Because we've covered so much stuff, haven't we We've covered so many different things, and there's never better time to start things than right away. But if you want a milestone, if you want a time to do it, the start of the new year perfect correctly. So today we are putting together twelve goals for twenty twenty five. Shall we jump into it?
Speaker 2: I love that kindogram running all right?
Speaker 1: Number one, and look, these don't have to be your goals. You can take and leave any of them depending on what suits your own personal circumstances. But number one, make a budget.
Speaker 2: Make a budget, or if you already have a budget, review your budget, which I should add you should be doing every single month, reviewing it. But it is so important that you have a budget and that it is written down and you can easily access it to update it, to check it, to see what other new expenses have slipped on.
Speaker 1: In New Year's is typically when I know I should be doing it more regularly. But New Years is typically when I'm kind of looking at my budget and because there's a little bit more downtime and you can sit down and do it. For those who haven't got a budget and perhaps hearing this podcast for the first time, in thirty seconds or less, can you tell us how to actually sit down and do it. Is it about just assessing what you're already spending and just writing it down on paper.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, no, you can't do that in thirty seconds. We need to do it, I think we need to do a whole new session maybe on budgeting and cash flow. But you need to go through your transactions. So look print off if you need to, or have on a separate screen your bank statements. You can actually see the reality of what your life costs. You need a calculator, you need a piece of pen and paper. I actually recommend writing it down on paper before you go and plug it into an Excel spreadshet or a budget tenplate. But you can pretend that you spend this much on takeaways, but your bank account and those transactions will tell you the truth and reality.
Speaker 1: Okay. Goal number two is to make twenty twenty five the year that you actually create a buffer in your budget, right, And that's kind of tied into what you just said there about kind of almost stop lying to yourself and stop kind of deceiving yourself more so about what you're actually spending. Be realistic and go one step further and build a buffer in.
Speaker 2: Also with the rise and cost of living, expenses are going up all the time, you know, particularly around for example insurances, So round everything up so you've got a margin of error. And what I say to people through the Sugar Mama Budget and cash Flow Academy program is round it up to the nearest five to ten one hundred dollars. So if it's eighty dollars, quarter one hundred dollars, if it's seven dollars, caught ten dollars. But once you go to one hundred dollars and more, add ten percent on there. So it just keeps you in a very safe playground when it comes to managing your cash flow and you're not caught short.
Speaker 1: Okay, nearest five dollars, ten dollars, one hundred dollars or above that ten percent okay, Because a lot of people would just look at the budget and just go, okay, this is exactly what we've spent in the past, this is exactly what we will allow for in the future. But the cost of everything just keeps going up, and also things can catch you out, and it's better to have that little buffer there exactly for peace of mind. Number three speaking a peace of mind, emergency money.
Speaker 2: So your emergency money should be in a separate account, and I recommend you nickname it our emergency money. But it's not about just having emergency money, about having the right amount of emergency money, I will say when it comes to your separate account, it is potentially, and speak to your bank or mortgage work before you go and do this, but have a look at having a redoor facility or an offset account, so at least while that emergency money is building up, it's helping you to save on your interest. And this is so important when I say to people when they say, well, how much emergency money is the right amount, look at the reality of your life and things that could happen and what they would cost, and then pick three things that could happen simultaneously that will impact your situation. So and I say that because things often sometimes things happen in threes. And you know, only back in early December, we had a electrical fire, our power for the day and so I lost all days whether it works, I couldn't do any work. And then my car broke down and it broke down as I was driving trying to cross intersections, so it had to be towed a long way away and then huge expense to fix it. So that happened. Then also washing machine broke and the air conditioning went, so it was you know, things happened. It's not don't think I will only one thing happen at a time. You never know, so be smart. You never regret having too much emergency money and then having that offset account or redeal facility can actually work to your financial advantage and saving money in the main time. But it means you sleep while at night.
Speaker 1: I always struggle with the idea of what constitutes an emergency.
Speaker 2: I did get a message this week from you about a certain situation. Whether it was classified as coming out of the emergency.
Speaker 1: Money, yes, and it was. We established that I was expecting a much more negative response than the one that I got because our coffee machine diet and it's hardly kind of a it's a very very first world problem.
Speaker 2: And still it's part of your ritual and.
Speaker 1: It's actually really really important, and you are right. We did the sums. Then again, Shanna and I did the sums, and she was like, hey, you do realize that if we were to buy kind of these coffees every day out we would be spending X amount and it was a staggering sum compared to what it costs to do it at home, once you've done the initial outlayer of the machine. And so my message to you was, hey, cana. Do you reckon a new coffee machine? That count as an emergency for the emergency fund? And I was expecting this all caps response, no, that's not an emergency something, and the response came back, if you really love your coffee, then yeah, it probably is.
Speaker 2: It's helping you, say money, But it's also a very beautiful ritual I think having a coffee at home.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no, absolutely, Okay, So make twenty twenty five of the year set up your emergency fund because you will sleep better at night having that there.
Speaker 2: And also when things do go wrong, you don't fall into a mess in a panic. Yes, a crappy week, but you know I was able to have a moment go thank goodness, we have su emergency money there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Number four, what have we got?
Speaker 2: Pay down debt, So draw a line in the sand, no more toxic debt. If you're relying on credit cards, you're lying on buy an now, pay later to survive. That is your red flag that you need to get the monkey off your back. Pay those debts down and take a break from using them, or don't use them at all. And you you know, when it comes to debt, rules are under thetter of general advice only is you know, credit card debt, buy now, pay later, the ones that have that toxic impact on your financial situation, and just work through your list. And I have a strategy called the hitless strategy where you it's not it could mean that you paid a little bit more money in interest, but it's more about the mindset and shooting into the psychology of money.
Speaker 1: What's it called. It's called the hit list hit list.
Speaker 2: We can do an episode if you're like, really only hit list.
Speaker 1: I would be open to this.
Speaker 2: But you go through the smallest debt first, and you build up momentum and work through. And yes it means ignoring which interest rates have the highest interest rate, but it's about building a sense of progress with it then fuels you and motivates you to keep going. And I've approached so many people out of huge amounts of debt, but you know, review it and then tracking it so you can see it's actually working. But twenty twenty five, say goodbye to toxic debt in your life. It is financially and emotionally draining.
Speaker 1: Number five on the list is to start paying attention to your superannuation. Now I know this is one that you are very very passionate about and just start today, because the earlier you can start paying attention to your superannuation, the longer you have to build up the benefits well.
Speaker 2: Gets monitored, gets made. So find out where your superannuation is. Do a search just if you've got any old missing superannuation accounts, which is very easily done online, and then look at where it is invested. But don't just look where it's invested. Make sure it's right for you. So go once you've seen where it is. And a lot of people in this default balance fund or I actually had someone message me to say that they did a search and vand had been sitting in cash for the last fifteen years horrified than they were so upset of themselves they listened to your advice through your podcast. I went did this and now fixed it. I feel so much better. But obviously she was. This person was kicking themselves. So make sure it's right for you. So once you find out where it is, then go into a risk profile and you know if you need to make some changes, get advice because obviously there are consequences like capital gains tax and by cell costs, brokerage and so forth, So that's really important. And also whilst you're there, check that your contributions have been going in and they've been going on on time. In a previous episode, I shared about a friend of mine that discovered her employee UH had never been paying super and she missed out on about thirty five thousand dollars with SUPER contributions, which was devastating.
Speaker 1: Ouch. And that's just in the contributions. That's not adding up what that would have cost at retirement time, when all of a sudden, the power of compound interests and the power of having those investments working for you would have seen it worth a lot a lot more. Yeah, And it's worth also mentioning the fact that everything that we're talking about here we have done episodes on these ones individually in the past. So if you're a new listener to the podcast, welcome first, but also have a bit of a scroll back through the past catalog, because we have taken a deep dive in the past into say, doing your risk profile and deciding where you should have your money within your superannuation, what type of assets and kind of what the appropriate level of risk is for you. So we've got more information on all of these in previous episodes. Today's really just this is putting together the ultimate list of goals to make this year the year that you take back control of your money. One more before we take a quick break though. Number six. Start an investment portfolio. This is filled countless episodes on its own.
Speaker 2: Now's the time to invest. I don't believe superannuation on its own is going to be able to fund our retirement or the retirement that we actually want. It is important that you're investing as well. And obviously, you know some people in certain age groups may you want to have a bias towards super or bias towards investing, but you know, this is the year to start investing. If you've been thinking about it and wanting to do it's been on your list but never actually done it, or you started it and just kind of drop the ball on it, reconnect with it, get it going again. And that's why I love the thousand dollars project because you know, you can start with one thousand dollars and it's exciting. You can watch it grow and you can think outside of the square to how you're going to get more money, and you start tracking that passive income and thinking about Okay, well, I now make two thousand dollars a year of my portfolio. That's going to contribute towards my retirement goals. You know, the sooner you can start investing, the better.
Speaker 1: I love that like it is. That is one of those ones that gets people genuinely excited because it is working towards a different future, better future. Yeah, indeed, all right, So that's the first six about twelve goals for twenty twenty five. Let's take a quick break and come back and get the next six. Cana. We are setting twelve goals for twenty twenty five where you're just coming up with ideas really here, and you can pick and choose the ones that suit you and the ones that are appropriate for you. Number seven, improve your financial literacy. Make twenty twenty five the year that you do that. And hey, if you're listening to this podcast, it's probably already a good start.
Speaker 2: Right, you know. Creat a habit system. You know, have a simple goal. You listen to one podcast a week like this one or Sugar Mama's Fireplay, or you read one book per month, or you watch a video on YouTube about investing, or you spend half an hour every Monday morning going through the money Smart website, which is created by Ask. There is so much free information out there to help you, and great quality information to allow you to make far better decisions with your money. And I prove your financial wellbeing in seeing it in your bank balance, but also internally as well.
Speaker 1: That's a good one, isn't it, because it is something that you can do at your own pace too, and you can do it in a way that works for you. If you are a podcast listener, there are a great podcasts out there to listen to. If you like reading books and kind of taking a deeper dive into things, then go for that. And the money Smart website that you mentioned is a fantastic resource for explaining terms in really simple language and kind of helping to educate you. And no one needs to know what you were researching. It's a great way of kind of filling some knowledge gaps that you might not be comfortable admitting that you have. And I've done it. I've jumped on there and looked up stuff. Oh okay, all right, that wasn't so hard at all. Now that's number seven, number eight vitally important.
Speaker 2: I will admit I need to do this. I have a will, but it needs to be updated and I need to make some changes. So you know, you've got to have a will in place. You may think, well, I've got nothing, you know, no assets, but that's not the issue. Issues. You do have assets, you have superinnovation, but also you may have some debts as well. You need to be thinking about and you know, thinking about what is the best for your family, for your loved ones, and where do you want the wealth that you've established so far. You've got items, You've got your belongings that are valuable. So you have a will if you don't, or make sure it's updated.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's just one of those things that it's an uncomfortable thing to do. But once you've done it, okay, you're good for a bit. And you do need to kind of keep reviewing it and keep checking it every now and then to make sure that it is.
Speaker 2: Current, especially if your situation changes.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, but just get it done in the first place.
Speaker 2: And include a charity in there as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, great idea, Thank you. I like that. While we are reviewing things, Number nine is review your insurances.
Speaker 2: Yes, not just your general insurances, but your personal insurances as well, so you know income protection, life and TPD, trauma cover home and contents. You know, maybe if you have an the best probably might have landlord insurance. Go far and wide with this. And also I recommend when you do that search for your superannuation accounts, which I believe was number five, is to have a look at what insurances might be attached to those old superannuation accounts. I know when I was running my fincial planning practice, I'd always come across an old superinhnuoation account for a client and have like a five hundred thousand of a life policy. They had no idea existed. So do your research, you know, see what insurance policies attached to superannuation accounts. Also might add accidental cover. I had completely forgotten that when Rocker was a baby, I took out accidental cover on him and it wasn't until I got something in the mail saying that actually he had default because I changed bank accounts and not updated. It was like, oh my goodness, I completely forgot about that. So make sure you take stock of what you have in place and what you need and what you potentially don't need because you're doubling up somewhere else.
Speaker 1: Number ten, there's one that you are very past because you have talked about it a number of times, calling up your utilities provider and asking for a better deal.
Speaker 2: Oh, I do this every free WI February.
Speaker 1: I know you're and you're very satisfied when you do it well.
Speaker 2: I've shared previously, I have the numbers in my phone, and in my phone, I will have also my account number, so it's very easy to access the information to make sure my phone call is very efficient, and I can do it literally in the car obviously with two hands, using bluetooth, responsible driving at all times, but asking for a better deal. I do this with Foxtel. I do this with our energy and gas bill everything. I leave no stone unturned in It's amazing. If they think they can lose you, we'll pull a rabbit out of a hat.
Speaker 1: Isn't that great? And there is nothing more satisfying than feeling like, hey, I've just saved money that I would not have saved if I hadn't taken that step.
Speaker 2: And I know this sounds really weird and odd coming from a financial planner, but sometimes the smallert savings are actually more satisfying than the big savings.
Speaker 1: Yes, I know exactly clearly what you mean. It's also then leads us very neatly into number eleven on our list. Because we talk about kind of small savings. This is at the other end, this can lead to some big, big, big savings. We are calling up your bank.
Speaker 2: Yes, and asking for a better deal with your home loan. Now, I will say be careful with this because if you call your bank, they're obviously only going to talk about their bank products and you know, try and get you one of their products, which is obviously their work for the bank. That's their job. So if you get a no from your bank, or you're not happy with the answer, reach out to a mortgage broker, and experienced mortgage broker that can actually go and look far and wide for you with other financial institutions that maybe have an even better interest rate for you. And Adam McCabe we've had on the show here from blue Land and you get brilliant hack. It's like, what you can do is look at what your current bank is offering new customers, and if that new rate for new customers is lower than what you're playing, that is often a sign that they will go and reduce your rate to at least match that. If you're not.
Speaker 1: Better, It shows they have the capacity to do that.
Speaker 2: Don't exactly, but it is going to depend on how long you've been with the mank what the size of your loan is, what you've paid off so far, value of your property. There are a lot of obviously variables.
Speaker 1: And if you're not a confrontational person, if you're a bit of an introvert, honestly, this is a fairly easy call to make to talk to someone at your bank about this. I've done this before. Talk to them and they did reduce the rate fairly significantly. But if you're not comfortable doing that yourself, then talk to a mortgage broker and get them to do it for you. And they will do that is.
Speaker 2: No skin off their nose, and a good more wood wreck will happily do it for you.
Speaker 1: And they've already got that. They know where to go, they know which banks are the ones that are more aggressively chasing customers and things, and they are the ones that typically will actually move the greatest.
Speaker 2: Exactly, but obviously, use those savings, don't spend it, don't put that newfound savings back into your budget if you can afford to increase your mortgage payments by that you found savings. Last savings that expand massively.
Speaker 1: The last one, number twelve. What do you think about this one? It's kind of fun. Actually, they've got a fun one for number twelve. Learn your credit score? Do you reckon? I reckon? Most Australians probably would have no idea what their credit score is.
Speaker 2: I know I agree with you on this one. And a lot of people think, oh, learning need to worry about that when I go borrow money. But we've mentioned this in the past identity theft. You can see what's going on who's potentially taken a credit card out in your name. And obviously if you're preparing to borrow some money, they'll be buying a home or boring to renovate, or maybe looking at borrowing money to do a debt recycling strategy. Jump online. It takes five minutes if that, and it's free. It's free.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's quite satisfying. Again, I know this is this sounds like all I'm looking for is satisfaction from all of these resolutions, But it is quite satisfying to go in there and to check it, and you can check it again later. You can check it in six months, you can check it in a year and see where your credit score is in fact improving or whether it's not backwards going backwards. There we go, because it is something that you do need to keep an eye on because, as you say, just that red flag of identity theft for one thing.
Speaker 2: And also don't people don't realize if you have a good credit score, you're in a better bargaining position when it comes to negotiating a better for your home loan.
Speaker 1: That's a good point. So you can actually say, hey, I know my credit score is X. I am a good candidate for this, I'm a good customer exactly. Okay, all right, that's a good list.
Speaker 2: We have delivered. I feel like this morning.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Twelve solid goals for twenty twenty five. Make a budget, create a buffer in your budget, set up an emergency fund, pay down debt, pay attention to your super start an investment portfolio. Improve your financial literacy. Set up or update your will, review your insurances. Call up your utilities provider and ask for a better deal. Call up your bank or mortgage broker and ask for a better deal. On your home loan and learn your credit score. It's going to be a very busy January.
Speaker 2: Bring on twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: It's very exciting, isn't it? All right? Cannor? If we want more information, where do we find you?
Speaker 2: Best base tomind me and contact me is through Instagram.
Speaker 1: And you can hear me every day with Sean Aylmer on Fear and Greed. Daily business news for people who make their own decisions. Thank you for listening to how do they afford that? Remember to hit follow on the podcast. That is most important and the best thing you can do is tell somebody else send them this episode. Spread the word about how do they afford that? Thank you for your company. Join us again next week