Speaker 1: Lately, gentle man, welcome the late base.
Speaker 2: Well, thanks for joining us.
Speaker 3: I'm James Macpherson with Liz Staurer and Caleb Bond coming up. Remember as a kid, those nesle quality street chocolates, the big tins he used to get. I'm going to show you a little later how those tins have shrunk over the past forty years. If you're not a believer in shrink flation, trust me, by the end of the program you'll be a believer. Plus, when we look at what's making news tomorrow, the Herald Sun has a front page update on that murderer who's being released from maximum security to get IVF treatment.
Speaker 2: There's been the development in that story.
Speaker 3: We'll have that, plus the Australian newspaper on how Catholic schools are topping the napland results.
Speaker 2: I wonder why.
Speaker 3: All of that when we look at tomorrow's papers. But first we've got to start with this extraordinary story, and I promise you we are not making this up. A Canadian town has been fined ten thousand dollars for refusing to celebrate Pride Month, and the town's councilors who voted against Pride Month have been ordered to undergo human rights training. The saga began when a gay rights group asked the EMO council, that's the name of the town, not a descriptive of the council. They asked the EMO Council in Ontario to proclaim June as Pride Month and to fly a Pride flag.
Speaker 2: Now, they asked the council to agree that.
Speaker 3: Sexual orientations and diverse gender identities should be celebrated. Well, the council voted three to two against the motion. The mayor, during the break observed that flags aren't flown for straight people, so he didn't see why they should be flown for gay people. Well, the gay rights group took exception to this and went straight to the Ontario Human Rights Tribunal and get this, It resulted in a five day hearing, paid for.
Speaker 2: Of course, by taxpayers. Here's the result of the hearing.
Speaker 3: In the decision handed down last week, the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario ruled that EMO, its mayor, and two of its counselors had violated the Ontario Human Rights Code by refusing to proclaim June as Pride Month. The town was also cited for failing to fly an LGBTQ two. The two stands for two spirited rainbow flag, despite the fact they didn't have an official flagpole. Now, as I said, the council was fined ten thousand dollars. That money went to the Pride Group. The mayor was personally fined five thousand dollars also sent to the Pride Group, and those who voted against Pride Month were ordered to undergo human rights training and to provide written proof that they had done the training within thirty days to the Pride Group. Now, this thing has got problems everywhere, but just off the top of my head, firstly, calaber list, no one has the right to be celebrated. You might celebrate yourself, but you don't have the right to demand I or anyone else celebrates you. In fact, to demand that I celebrate you is to overrule my rights of free speech, free thought, my right of conscience. Beyond that, when you are forcing people to celebrate you, you're not creating acceptance, you're creating animosity. There may well be celebration, but it'll be through gritted teeth, and that certainly doesn't help your cause. But tempting as it is, to get really upset at the gay rights group, in this instance and the activists, I think the real blame lies with the Ontario Human Rights Tribunal.
Speaker 2: It's almost a given now that any.
Speaker 3: Organization that has human rights in the title won't be upholding human rights, they'll be violating them, and Caleb, that's exactly what they've done in this instance.
Speaker 1: It's just obscene.
Speaker 4: I don't think I can even describe how obscene this decision is, because if we're talking met human rights here, surely freedom is a fundamental human right as well, and so a counsel ought to have the freedom to decide what flags it wants to put up the flagpole that doesn't exist, by the way, and what months it chooses it's going to celebrate.
Speaker 1: And if it says, oh, well, we don't particularly think.
Speaker 4: That in our town of one three hundred people, it's going to make too much of a difference if we celebrate Pride month or.
Speaker 1: Not, who cares.
Speaker 4: I mean, this is what happens when the long arm of the law is allowed to tell us what we can and cannot say. I mean, this is veering into thought crime territory really, because it wasn't only that they didn't have the month decreed as Pride month. It was that they had, as you pointed out, even dared to say, well, we don't do this for other people, therefore we're not going to do it for this group of people. If you think that they're going to start coming after you and the law is going to be used to do it. This is in Canada, but you'd be stupid to think that this is not going to hit the shores of Australia and every other Western nation very soon. If these groups, these boards, these human rights commissions are willing to hold a gun to your head and charge you money for not doing.
Speaker 1: What activists tell you to do, it is insane.
Speaker 5: And the group, this Borderland Bride group, their militants over this cannot be overstated.
Speaker 6: Check out this.
Speaker 5: Quote from Borderland Pride director Douglas Judson. He said, as a lawyer who does this work, that means I'm going to start taking people's houses and their vehicles and their toys and draining their bank accounts and garnishing their wages because no one is going to stop behaving this way.
Speaker 6: Until there were real consequences.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, well, I can't understand why everyone wouldn't just be rolling over to keep you happy mate. These guys once they won the case fifteen thousand dollars in total, they said to this, council will donate a third of our award to the public library if you guys agree to host a drag Queen's story time at a date of our choosing. Now the Council, it would appear, has said no to this point. They're not desperate for a handout for the people who have effectively sued them you using the Commission, but now this them then being sent off to the Commission's own retraining education camp for human rights one oh one. As someone who has a master's degree in human rights, I'd love to attend this course because, as Matt just said, it's not a human right that you must be celebrated for all your life choices, especially by people who haven't made those same life choices and just want to be left alone to live their own lives. Check this out quote out from the training manual. It says, it doesn't matter if you didn't intend or mean to discriminate, it's the impact on the person that matters. Oh well, okay, well they're just all hostages. Then to the feelings of anyone who decides I've been discriminated against, but spare a thought for Canada.
Speaker 6: This has been going on for thirty years.
Speaker 5: Back in nineteen ninety five, Hamilton Mayor was fined five thousand dollars for refusing to proclaim Pride week remember when it was just a week. Back In also nineteen ninety five, London Ontarigo fined ten thousand dollars for refusing to officially recognize Pride weekend. It it goes to show this has been happening for a very long time. And this particular lobby group, Borderland Pride, this is the second time in four months they've won a five FI award. The last time was thirty five grand out of some blow you'd gone online. It was his own Facebook account and tweeted, well, not tweeted. Facebook posted something to the effect of quote not quote yet No. He was saying that Borderland Prides all ages, drag Queen show was a quote pedophile show. End quote. Now that's an opinion. People are jumping online sharing their opinions. This guy had cost him thirty five thousand dollars. That's how militant they are in Canada. And it does make you wonder because we have plenty of councils here who do all these kinds of things.
Speaker 6: Corporates as well.
Speaker 5: They fly the flag you name it, Waverley Council, I believe it is. I remember attending one of their ends a day parades and they had painted around their entire building like the road is a rainbow, just to.
Speaker 6: Get the council chambers.
Speaker 5: I thought, Wow, these these guys are going full hog. But it makes you wonder how many of them are doing this kind of thing just to avoid somebody like this lobby group here in Australia approaching the Human Rights Commission and getting them done similarly?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, how many of us, when I say us, I'm in the Royal US censor our own speech every day so we don't have get in trouble from someone or some organization or its life in our community. And God bless emo counsel for having the courage of their convictions and saying no, we're.
Speaker 2: Not doing this, and that's consequence.
Speaker 1: That's the point.
Speaker 4: I mean, this is a warning shot to everyone else, right, because sure a council can afford to stump up the ten grand, and the me can probably afford the five grand that's put upon them. But a lot of people the right pay well, exactly exactly the right pay is you know, an average person, if you were told you had to hand over ten grand because you'd committed some sort of you know, thought crime like that, a lot of people, most people wouldn't have ten grand in the bank to be able to pay that. That is the point they are trying to call you into silence. The game mafia in this case is trying to call you into silence. To a similarly crazy story, this time a little further south into the United States, There's been a bit of a hullabaloo going on in the US in a particular volleyball league because one team has tried to get a transgender player to join their team, and other teams in response have said, well, no, we're not going to sign up and play anymore. They're boycotting against the San Jose University because of course they're trying to get a biological mail to play against women. His a little explanation from Fox News.
Speaker 7: Boise State University women's volleyball team announcing it will forfeit it's semifinal match in the Mountain West Tournament against San Jose State University Boise State, saying quote, they should not have to forego this opportunity while waiting for a more thoughtful and better system that serves all athletes. San Jose State come under fire for allowing a biological male to compete on their women's volleyball team. We spoke to a competing volleyball team captain from the same conference as San Jose stee about the choice teams are facing.
Speaker 6: They're faced with something really hard.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of stakes now.
Speaker 5: Forfeiting during the conference season is one thing, but now the sticks are much higher now.
Speaker 4: As you heard there. It has caused a lot of travel within the league. Has also caused a lot of trouble within their own team. There are players who are now refusing to go on the court. They're even suing their own team for the decision to include a transgender woman a biological male in the team. So The New York Times wrote an article going into the back room turmoil within the team that's been going on since this decision was made. And get this, why would you use one word when you could use three? The New York Times published an article on the current controversy sweeping through the women's college volleyball after multiple teams forfeited games against San Jose State University and transgender player Blair Fleming.
Speaker 1: In the article, the outlet used the.
Speaker 4: Term non transgender women to refer to biological females when discussing the varying levels of testosterone.
Speaker 1: Yes, there's a word. I'm trying to think, what is a.
Speaker 6: Woman?
Speaker 1: Woman? That's what it is, But they use non transgender woman.
Speaker 4: I mean, seriously, Freddie Mercury, take it away.
Speaker 2: I'm girling slightly, man and going slightly.
Speaker 4: I mean, the world has truly lost the plot. We all know what a non transgender woman is. It's a woman, for heaven's sake. Why can't you just say woman? And I was going to say natural rattleover. Martina navrattlover, of course, famous female tennis player, hit out at this on X, saying New York.
Speaker 1: Times, you stink. We are women.
Speaker 4: We are not transgender women, just women will do in the future. Another account on X Women Are Real pointed out the ridiculousness of this. Hey, in New York Times, don't call us non transgender women.
Speaker 1: Just stop it.
Speaker 4: Stop all the offensive terms for us, such as birthing parent, uterus, ha menstrue waiter, my personal favorite vaginal presenting, whatever the hell that is. Apparently from the Olympus spa hearing we are women, I mean we have well and true well not we not here on the late debate, but some people have well and truly jumped the shark if some journalists just sitting there and genuinely thinks non transgender woman is an app description for a woman.
Speaker 5: Later on in the article, this same journo uses the term athlete to signed female at birth. Once again, the words you're looking for is women.
Speaker 6: Those are women.
Speaker 5: That's why they were assigned female at birth. They have all the equipment of a war men. But you've got a feel for these volleyball players because while they're suing their own team and on that it's a bit of a class action type thing because groups volleyball teams that would be versing the Spartans that is the name of the team who are trying to include this transgender player are also joining this lawsuit saying well, were at risk as well. This is very much a risk to our well being and certainly could stand.
Speaker 6: To set us back in the state's ranking.
Speaker 5: Because if you guys win, while you've got a biological man, blang for you, how is that fair? All I think they really should be suing is their National Collegiate Athletic Association, which of course is the body in the United States of America that oversees all of this, and their website says trends volleyball players can play if their testosterone is less than ten nanimals per liter, which is four times more than the average females levels of testosterone, and the experts tell us, actually, ten animals per liter is very average for the everyday guy walking around. So basically, a biological male who's made no effort whatsoever to chip down on their testosterone levels, they're okay to play in the volleyball leagues. It's perfectly fine. These women are being told to give up their safe spaces because this means they're in the locker rooms, they're in the showers, they're in all.
Speaker 6: The rest of it.
Speaker 5: We have to give up our work, our sports, all the rest of it. Someone tried to convince me that this shouldn't just be called the misogyny movement because all it involves when it's and I'm sick of using the term trans women as well, because as far as I'm concerned, you're not any kind of woman. Okay, I would know what it is to be a woman, what it means to be a woman.
Speaker 6: You do not and will never.
Speaker 5: You can dress up all you like, doesn't make your women, and to insinuate otherwise is just so unbelievably insulting. But to come after our sports, our safeguards, our words, our rights, and us being forced by sporting bodies like this, who should know better to relinquish those basic rights.
Speaker 6: It's a misogyny movement, that's it.
Speaker 3: I'm done that The New York Times would just casually insert this term non trans women, as if you know that's a thing. Shows you just how far this movement has gone and how low our culture has sunk.
Speaker 2: But it's actually quite logical.
Speaker 3: I feel it when you say, why don't they just use the word woman? But of course, and I know you know this, they can't use the word woman because if you have transgendered women being compared with that.
Speaker 6: We've got to stop using the term. It's like my partolgical men.
Speaker 3: If you have transgendered women as compared to the testosterone levels of women, well, implicit in that is that transgendered women aren't actually women.
Speaker 2: Therefore you can't have women.
Speaker 3: You can only have trans women or non trans women, and so women have now become.
Speaker 2: A subset of a class that used to.
Speaker 3: Be their own, or to put it another way, in order to reclassify themselves, men have declassified women completely. But the transgendered movement relies on obfiscation.
Speaker 2: They can't tell the truth.
Speaker 3: They have to manipulate and mangle language because otherwise it becomes plain that they're talking about someone who is other than a woman. Even the polite term cisgendered women. It's grossly consulting, because wherever you have to qualify what kind of woman this is, you are now implying that men can be women.
Speaker 2: So there's just women. And I agree with you.
Speaker 3: Even the term transgendered woman is in itself a lie.
Speaker 2: And we all perpetuate these lies.
Speaker 3: Because of fear or because of a well intentioned desire to be kind. But it's not kindness to end up with the result that you so eloquently described, where you've got women being raised, you've got unsafe spaces, you've got sports being completely bastardized.
Speaker 2: You've got all of.
Speaker 3: This happening in the name of kindness and inclusion. It's just wrong and it's just lies.
Speaker 6: Here here to a different kind of madness. And back to Australia.
Speaker 5: The Commonwealth Bank has sent an email out to anyone holding a complete access account saying, look, we've decided these accounts no longer exist, so we're moving you over to a smart access account.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 6: I hope everyone read the fine print.
Speaker 5: In this email because they would have discovered had they read on, that it's going to cost them from January sixth next year three bucks to withdraw their own money.
Speaker 6: Should they go to a bank branch, a.
Speaker 5: Post office or try and make a withdrawal over the phone?
Speaker 6: Three bucks up? Pop?
Speaker 5: What the heck is that covering admin costs? Does it really cost three minutes for someone to just grab the cash, which they're employed to do already and hand it over the counter.
Speaker 6: Now, the Commonwealth Bank wants.
Speaker 5: You to know that as long as you keep using their ATMs it's free.
Speaker 6: You can still withdraw for free.
Speaker 5: But we all know this is another spoke in the wheel of making it harder and harder to use cash here in Australia. Because one of the Commonwealth Bank says, ah, don't worry. They just use a Commonwealth Bank ATM and your withdrawal is still free.
Speaker 6: They've closed over.
Speaker 5: Fifty four percent of their ATMs over the last five years.
Speaker 6: They've closed more than.
Speaker 5: Three hundred and fifty branches over the last five years. So while they try and make it sound like, oh, this actually isn't too bad, it's an absolute you know what show?
Speaker 6: Where do these banks get off? Everyone already pays banking fees.
Speaker 5: Most of us don't know where that goes either, because they get to play with our money for as long as it's in our accounts. That little figure on your screen when you log into your bank account ain't just sitting there waiting for you.
Speaker 6: They do stuff.
Speaker 5: They make the most of the money that you've invested with them while they've got it.
Speaker 6: So here they are making.
Speaker 5: The most of us choosing them as a bank, while flogging their own people who have chosen common Wealth Bank.
Speaker 6: It does my head in and no wonder.
Speaker 5: This is rightly released a massive backlash of thousands of Australians saying we're just going to change banks then, because you flogs can go jump.
Speaker 6: It's certainly right.
Speaker 3: I just want to know what would happen if you go to your local Commonwealth bank and you say to the teller, because you're down to your last three bucks, right, so I'd like to withdraw my three dollars please, and she would just look at you and smile and say, there you go, and that.
Speaker 1: Would slip from give you an eye.
Speaker 3: Commonwealth Bank just announced LUs. I mean the timing of this is brilliant, right they announced today we're going to charge you to get your own money. But less than four weeks ago they announced a two point five billion dollar first quarter profit. So it's not like they're doing it tough. I mean two point five billion that's not financial year, that's the first quarter. And now they're going to sting you to get your own money.
Speaker 2: The problem with.
Speaker 3: This is that when you got paid in days gone by, you get it in a little envelope and then you could decide to put it under your pillow if you're Italian, or you know, if you put it in the bank, if that's what you wanted to do or whatever.
Speaker 5: You're Italian or you're smart, but you're just jolly smart.
Speaker 6: Don't give them your money.
Speaker 3: But these days, your money goes straight from your employer to the bank. In this case the Commonwealth Bank of Australia and then you have to go and beg or pay to get it out. That's not a good deal. But I mean bank stopped providing service so long ago. I remember some time ago, I went to the Saint George Bank in my local area. I don't bank with Saint George, but I know that they have cash on premises.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: I had one hundred dollars bill I needed two fifties. I went in there. They wouldn't swap it for me. You're a bank, don't deal.
Speaker 1: You're not even one of us.
Speaker 4: Like money and what I mean it is just insane. I mean, I have been a long term Combank customer. I'm also a Westpac customer, and I'm seriously considering pulling my customers.
Speaker 6: Would you pay?
Speaker 4: Well, well, it's one's business related and one's personal.
Speaker 1: But I am.
Speaker 4: Seriously considering pulling everything out of CBA.
Speaker 1: I've got my mortgage with CBA, I've got all my.
Speaker 4: Savings accounts, my spending accounts is all with CBA. I'm seriously considering pulling out of there because they are taking people for a ride.
Speaker 1: I mean they say that you'll still be able.
Speaker 4: To go into the bank and do it for free if you've got a disability. But let's be real here, the majority of people who would still go into a bank branch to do their banking are older Australians. This is discrimination against and absolutely it is discrimination against older people. And the banks have had it so easy in this country for such a long time. I mean, look that the last couple of years with interest rates going up, that's why their profits are going through the roof, because us who have a mortgage are forced to give more and more of our income to them, and that just goes straight into their pockets.
Speaker 1: They love that off.
Speaker 4: It's going through the roof and at the same time they want to take three dollars away from you to take out your own money. But the banks in Australia, and I have said this before, are secured by the federal government. If the whole thing goes aover t the federal government posts the global financial crisis in two thousand and seven made a decision that it would secure the banks in order to secure our economic systems in Australia now in exchange for the federal government providing that security to the banks, essentially saying that you will never fall over, which means you have a lifetime in perpetuity profit as long as you run your business properly. The federal government should be able to call in some favors. And the federal government needs to grow a spine and start telling Combank and all the other banks to pull their heads in and not do this kind of thing. If you want the security of the federal government, which by extension is the security of the taxpayer, the security of the customers of Commonwealth Bank and the other banks, you must keep your branches open. You must provide a certain level of service. If you won't do that, then you don't get our security anymore.
Speaker 1: That is how things show.
Speaker 5: The irony that they've called the smart access account.
Speaker 6: You can't access it a smart access account.
Speaker 5: Oh it's smart to pay my bank three bucks to access my own money. These guys want to ensure that cash is dead in this country. But according to the later stats from the RBA, ossies in the last twelve months alone withdrew one hundred and seven billion dollars. In the last twelve months, we withdrew one hundred and seven billion dollars in cash. So cash ain't dead and you've got a long way to go before you're punished enough to make it happen.
Speaker 3: It'd be smart to take your money out of the smart access account. Indeed, banks aren't managing our money well, and neither other federal government.
Speaker 2: Of course, that's not news to you. But there's more bad news.
Speaker 3: Anthony Albanezi has planned to subsidize childcare so that parents are only paying ten dollars a day. The rest, of course, will be paid by the taxpayers. Now, I suppose parents will love this, certainly, childcare providers are going to love it, but economists are warning this is going to be a massive impost on the taxpayer. In a report examining pathways to universal childcare released in September, the Productivity Commission estimated that a ten dollars a day flat fee model for childcare would cost eight point three billion dollars. If they just had subsidies at ninety percent across the board, it would cost six billion dollars. So it's a nice sounding idea to help parents, but it's going to have a massive cost eight point three billion dollars to begin with. And I'm thinking, you know, aside from subsidizing childcare, are there some other things in this country that could do with eight point three billion dollars. I'm thinking our defense force, you could do with some ships. I mean, we couldn't even send one to the Red Sea to help secure global shipping. Eight point three billion dollars would be pretty handy there right now. Not only that, but demand for childcare is going.
Speaker 2: To outstrip supply.
Speaker 3: As soon as it's ten dollars a day, well, the childcare centers will be overrun. So obviously that's going to lead to increasing prices. It's hard to believe the government aren't going to create another NDIS with this thing. It starts off at eight point three billion and it just continues on and on, and it's one of those things. Who's ever going to wind it back. Who's going to tell mum and dad we're going then now start charging you more for your childcare. But beyond all that, and I reckon you'll be strong on this one, Liz. It undermines families because kids need parents, not minders. And the government, if they want to help families and want to do something for families, find a way to help mums and or dads be with their kids in those formative years rather than finding ways to help parents or floads.
Speaker 5: I find it utterly vomitous that your government wants to convince you.
Speaker 6: This is how we're helping families. No, you're not. You just want mothers.
Speaker 5: To get back to work to generate more tax dollars for you.
Speaker 6: That is all.
Speaker 5: You give a flying rip about seventy nine percent of women in this country return to work just twelve months after giving birth.
Speaker 6: And that's that's staggered.
Speaker 5: So some go back after three months, some go back after six, some go back after twelve, but all in all, within twelve months, seventy nine percent of brand new mums are back at their.
Speaker 6: Desk working for the man.
Speaker 5: And I tell you what, the vast majority of women wouldn't prefer that.
Speaker 6: It's not their preference.
Speaker 5: You're not empowering women by taking their children off them in infancy.
Speaker 6: To be raised by the state. That's what this really is. The government doesn't give a rip about you.
Speaker 5: It doesn't give a rip about your children, except that they're the little sheepies that have to keep their economy.
Speaker 6: Going in the future. We all know that John D.
Speaker 5: Rockefeller put together the more an education system in order to raise in order to breed conforming sheep.
Speaker 6: That was the whole point of it.
Speaker 5: Kids were smarter when they weren't educated in this cookie cutaway and earlier and earlier the state wants to take them off.
Speaker 6: You. You go back to work, you.
Speaker 5: Go generate tax dollars, will take your infants off, you will raise them.
Speaker 6: And how many.
Speaker 5: Times do we talk about the education system in this country and what a cesspool of indoctrination it is pretty much, whether it's primary school, whether it's high school, whether it's our universities. My gosh, that seems to be what their best at do. And I tell you what, we in the West aren't much better than the Soviet the Communists of years gone by, because they understood the power of taking the child, the state, taking the child at a young age and educating it. That's where we get the famous quote from Hitler saying, he alone who gains the youth, gains the future. It was Lenin who said, give me a child at the age of eight, and he will be a Bolshevik forever. Stalin also said education is a weapon, and what the impact that it has depends on who's holding that weapon and who he's aiming it at.
Speaker 6: The state knows the power of education.
Speaker 5: It's not just yeah, let's take the kid off the mum at a really young age and raise it ourselves. There is also this indoctrination bent you go back to work. Yep, we just want you for your tax dollars.
Speaker 6: You're just numbers to us.
Speaker 5: Thank you very much, goodbye, will take care of the kid. But there is an agenda behind that. I don't care what anyone says.
Speaker 4: And the paradoxical problem for the federal government is that by doing that they actually shoot themselves in the foot because of course they want you to go back to work now so you can generate tax dollars. But in order for tax dollars to be generated in perpetuity, you need another generation to come through. And you look at the fertility rate in Australia, it's going through the floor, in no small part because it is so expensive to live now that people can't afford to have a child. And so you look at the circumstances and you go, well, why would I have a kid. It's too expensive, We've got to go straight back to work. So they've actually created a situation where they don't have another generation coming through, which is why we rely so much on immigration and the economics of this, and economists are simply pointing out the plain obvious truth here. This thing is a ponzi scheme. I mean, I'm sitting here thinking, so I should look into opening a childcare center because it has been operating as a ponzi scheme for years. Whereby they go, Okay, the cost of childcare is going up, so we as the government will increase the subsidy. So the childcare center then goes, excellent, the subsidy's gone up ten percent, so we'll just whack our fees up ten percent. So the following year, the government goes, oh my god, the price of childcare has gone up.
Speaker 1: We better jack up the subsidy, and on and on and on it goes.
Speaker 4: It is an endless money pit, essentially for childcare centers, because the government just keeps topping up whatever the childcare centers asked for. I mean, is that not the greatest business model you've ever heard of in your life?
Speaker 5: And there's plenty of mums who are saying, I'm basically what I'm earning by going back to work is being so consumed by my childcare costs. I'm literally paying the state to raise my child. I might as well just stay at home, but of course mums can't do that because they want to be able to keep their jobs, so by the time maternity comes up, unless they've got a sport system that means well, I have got the option, which sadly nowadays is a luxury of staying at home with my children. Then I have to go back to work.
Speaker 6: Because I don't want to lose my job. It's absolutely disgusting.
Speaker 5: I hate how they market this to women as we're empowering you. Now you can go back to work. Do not assume what we want. If you actually listened to what women want, why don't you pay them what you're paying the daycare centers to stay at home and raise their own children, because you'd get far healthier generations coming up through the ranks who were raised properly at home before reaching school age and then going off to school at.
Speaker 6: The age of five.
Speaker 5: Why don't you do that government, It wouldn't cost you anymore and women around the nation would be very grateful and no doubt take you up on the offer.
Speaker 6: Staying here in Australia. Remember when we were told there are no.
Speaker 5: Payfasts in the water systems here in Sydney. No, actually there's none because we haven't tested for it.
Speaker 6: So we'll do a little test for it. Oh, we tested for it. There is alarming levels of prefas up in these water.
Speaker 5: Catchments in the Blue Mountains, So sorry about that. Not telling us what they're doing in terms of testing any other water sources here in the state. But it looks like we may have a small win on this score. Forever chemicals to be filtered from tap water or believe it when I.
Speaker 6: Actually see it. This is from the Sydney Morning Herald.
Speaker 5: The state government will commission a new mobile filtration plant to clean up tap water supplies in the Blue Mountains that have been tainted by a plume of cancer linked forever chemicals. The three point four million dollar filtration unit is already being installed in the Cascade Water Filtration Plant in Kotomba, which supplies drinking water to nearly fifty thousand residents across the area.
Speaker 6: On the World he List, I've said it a thousand times before. This is a big bug bear of mine.
Speaker 5: You can find pfas in your everyday products.
Speaker 6: It is in your cooking implements.
Speaker 5: It is in all the frank And food that they stuff our supermarkets full of it costs.
Speaker 6: It costs the US.
Speaker 5: They estimate two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year in the health side effects of people who have just consumed pfas all their lives unbeknownst to them, aren't we all? And that's to say nothing of microplastics. So what really gets me about this is the government doesn't give a toss And this is something without a doubt, There are mountains of research on this now, without a doubt, is affecting people's everyday health. But they might be, They might be diagnosed with any number of issues and wouldn't think twice to blame it on pfas.
Speaker 6: And even if they could make the link.
Speaker 5: Who you're going to sue? Who you're going to sue? I mean, where the heck would you go for justice? And the fact that your health's been ruined for the rest of your life, Well.
Speaker 4: Want to know what they do that once they filtered it out, because you know, forever chemical rather implies that you can't.
Speaker 1: Get rid of it, So we.
Speaker 4: Fever out of the water, and I mean we still have acceptable quote unquote levels of pfas allowed in drinking water in Australia that is significantly higher than what the US.
Speaker 5: Forty times higher than the acceptable level.
Speaker 2: The US have said no level is safe.
Speaker 4: It's the easiest thing that the government could turn around and fix tomorrow, but they don't want to do it because it would be such a difficult task to clean up the mess.
Speaker 1: But we already have cases.
Speaker 4: You talk about compensation where the defense force has had to compensate people for the runoff from firefighting equipment that's been used on defense bases with properties next to it, and people and ground their vegetables in the soil that's been contaminated, et cetera. We already have compensation cases on the books and they will only continue to grow, particularly I think if the federal government is and state government a negligent in doing anything about it, because surely at some point someone will stand up and run a class action and say you knew the danger here and yet you did nothing.
Speaker 5: Well, that's what did happen with three MS, So they got some luck there.
Speaker 3: We're going to go to a break because we're going to look at what's making news in tomorrow's papers. But before we go to the break, well done to the Sydney Morning Herald pursuing that story. Don't get it change. It would not have happened without the Sydney Morning Herald and that report. And we're going to look at the papers in just a moment. Let's take a look at what's making headlines tomorrow. We'll start with the Herald's Son. You'd be familiar with the story of this convicted murderer wanting IVF for there's been a development in that exclusive vicious murderer ditches plan to leave maximum security prison for fertility treatment after huge public backlash.
Speaker 2: Pregnant Pause reads the headline.
Speaker 3: A brutal killer has abandoned plans to undergo IVF after a huge community backlash over her bid to have a baby behind bars. Convicted murderer Alisha Schiller had been given the NOD to be released from prison for treatment, but has withdrawn her application. Sources have revealed now it's not just the public outrage about this, but both Melbourne IVF and Monash IVF, two of the main IVF providers in Victoria, said they would not give her treatment and according to the Act, they're able to do that because the circumstances of the baby that will be created through IVF is taken into consideration, as well as the safety and wellbeing of other women in the IVF clinic who would find themselves sitting next to a convictor murderer on day release to get treatment. In addition to that, the killer's own mother said she would not be looking after any child born as a result of IVF treatment, and the cost to taxpayers of raising a child in a prison would just be extraordinary. So, with all of this backlash, this woman has decided she's not going to go ahead.
Speaker 4: What a lovely, community minded individual she must be. Let's not forget she murdered a mother for fifty dollars right. The fact that this was even possible in the first place is outrageous. And as we talked about last week, the precedent that allowed this was a case about ten years ago or a woman who'd been convicted of fraud and was in a minimum security prison was allowed to have IVF because she was already undergoing IVF before she was locked up. Now, as far as I'm concerned, that is an entirely different case to a woman who is behind bars, who is a murderer who is in maximum security prison who suddenly wakes up one day and decides that she wants to undergo IVF. How on earth that was allowed in the first place, I do not know, And it just makes a mockery.
Speaker 1: Of the justice system.
Speaker 4: If you can from behind bars go off and become a mother when there are so many other people in the world who desperately wish they could become a man and they can't afford IVR for whatever. But you're a prisoner, Go feel life, Go feel I've got to point out she can still change her mind and do it anytime she wants this as her decision. She's still within her rights legally to have this treatment if she decides to.
Speaker 5: Honestly, I don't think it would work anyway. Having seen the size of her. One of my friends had to know genuinely, one of my friends, who was half this woman's size, had to lose seven kilos in order for the IVF people to actually do the treatment, because they said, your body's understressed, you need to lose a bit of weight. And once she'd lost seven kilos that's when they did the IVF process.
Speaker 6: So having seen the initial photos.
Speaker 5: I was like, I'm not sure this is actually going to.
Speaker 6: Go ahead anyway.
Speaker 5: Anyway to the front page of the Odds Now return to old skilled teaching method sends students results through the roof blower. So over where a feather a Catholic school cluster go. The Catholics has shot to success in this year's nap Land results after abandoning failed teaching fads through the nation's biggest experiment in the science of learning. What is this radical change that they've made. Well here it is teachers direct and closely monitor students learning, a reversal of the failed fad of student directed learning that expected students to lead.
Speaker 6: Their own learning journey.
Speaker 5: Who the heck came up with that? What a pile of cocker, mamie. I mean what kids are like, yeah, so I will lad my own learning journey. They don't even know what they're learning. Gets you've got to tell them everything. At this age we're talking about primary school aged kids. So hats off to the Catholics for going. You know what, We're going to give this a go, so see how it goes. And look how quickly the results shot through the roots. Amazing they're leading and the act amazing.
Speaker 1: Isn't it.
Speaker 4: And the story goes on to say that just a quarter of the schools in the Act a Catholic, yet they now make up two thirds of a car's list of schools that outperformed others with a similar background on rental, occupation and education, and that for years Catholic schools had underperformed until the Archdiocese of Canberra and gold And embraced direct instruction also known as explicit teaching through the Catalyst Project in twenty twenty. They have proven what needs to be done to improve academic levels.
Speaker 1: Which lo and behold is what we were doing years ago.
Speaker 4: And thankfully this stuff is starting to come through now, you know, the phonics and all whatever. Right, what was going on when I was at school and was wrong? I mean, I look, I turned out right. I think some of you may disagree, but the numbers have just been going down and down and down and down.
Speaker 1: Fears.
Speaker 4: I mean, we're beaten by bl Vietnam, for heaven's sake, in terms of mathematics, etc. So many nations that are socioeconomically way lower than us have much better academic results because we've been teaching wrong.
Speaker 2: Who would have thought My favorite part of this. How did the Catholics do it? What's the secret?
Speaker 3: Well, they gave time for students to practice and repeat concepts until they mastered them.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 2: What an amazing concept called repetition.
Speaker 3: It's not sexy, but that's how you'll learn amazing.
Speaker 6: Back to old school and look at that. Old school is best.
Speaker 5: Second splash on the front of the oars ALP's pick workers or activists. This is about the salmon saga unfolding in Tasmania.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 5: The Australian Workers Union boss Paul Farrow has joined senior Tasmanian labor figures in demanding that Environment Minister Tania Plebsk end uncertainty for salmon workers and put their livelihoods ahead of the quote exaggerated concerns of inner city activists and quote this is all about the preservation of the skatefish.
Speaker 6: Have you seen that thing? It's so ugly.
Speaker 5: Now it's salmon that generates hundreds of millions of dollars of revenue for Tasmania. It employs five one hundred people. These guys have had the entire industry in Tasmania have had this hanging over their head for twelve months already. And this labor government says we'll let you know what we decide after the election. I mean, how could you Based on that alone, I'd be like, well, I'm voting liberal then, because the Libs have already promised to overturn whatever labor does if labor does anything, so I'm safe voting liberal. If I'm in the salmon industry in Tasmania period, You're not even saving your votes by saying, oh, we'll leave it till after the election.
Speaker 3: It's funny what happens when you put a inner city MP in.
Speaker 2: Charge of the environment.
Speaker 3: The sort of result you get the same as when you put someone who's in a seat with a high Muslim population in charge of immigration and home affairs. You tend to get these interesting outcome back.
Speaker 1: I wonder if the more g and skate is good eating or not.
Speaker 4: Maybe we could revive the more g and skate by creating a farming industry in Tasmania.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Let's test someone sounds particularly.
Speaker 1: Someone.
Speaker 4: I want someone to catch one and tell me what it's like. Maybe there's an industry there. Let's go to the front of the inting news tomorrow where it says gas crisis threatens Aussie jobs, our looming gas shortfall threatens tens of thousands of jobs, and our food security manufacturers warn makes everything from bricks to chemicals are paying as much as four times more for gas than in other comparable nations. I mean, we just how can we be so energy rich. We've got uranium, we've got gas, we've got coal, and yet we pay through the nose for these products when the rest of the world is using them for next to nothing.
Speaker 1: It makes like literally no sea.
Speaker 3: It's called ideology, Caleb, and this country is full of it.
Speaker 2: We're going to go to a break.
Speaker 3: When we come back, will show you just how bad shrink inflation is. Looking at quality street chocolate tins, you'll be shocked at how they've changed over.
Speaker 2: The last forty years.
Speaker 3: And Oxford's Word of the Year has been announced. That's coming up, mister mum. Well, you would have heard of the term shrink flation to describe the fact that boxes and packets of produce gets smaller and smaller, but we're still paying the same amount or more.
Speaker 2: They reckon.
Speaker 3: A picture tells a thousand words. Will Photographs of quality street chocolate tins over the years have caused absolute outrage online as people realize just how much chocolate tins have shrunk. A look at this from nineteen eighty Wow, nineteen ninety the Zeros and then now how those tins. I remember when I was a kid and my nana in the eighties would buy that.
Speaker 2: You can see how big it is.
Speaker 3: You would take a handful of chocolates and you would never be caught because.
Speaker 2: They never look at the tin.
Speaker 3: Now you can't even take two or three without getting caught. That just demonstrates how much they have shrunk. And for five hundred grams of chocolate at Coals for a box thirty four dollars.
Speaker 4: It's insane believe that thirty four dollars for I only noticed this. Really, I don't eat a lot of chocolate, but every time I.
Speaker 1: Go think, oh I have a little choky, and then I.
Speaker 4: Go and look at a box of Favorites, so it's like twenty dollars, Like where the hell did this come from?
Speaker 1: But you look at that.
Speaker 4: The prices no, we're just discussing now, has not gone down. I mean seriously, the amount of chocolates you can get in one of those tins has gone backwards as fast as your hairline.
Speaker 1: James like it is.
Speaker 4: It is really incredible too far.
Speaker 1: I had to, I had to get it in there going.
Speaker 2: But I mean, those tins used to be able to put a whole lot of stuff in them.
Speaker 4: Now it's like, I know, I know, remember remember those those short reread biscuit tins and like man, they would always have the sewing equipment in the sets. Still happened now, I just that distinctly is a child before we go.
Speaker 1: The Oxford Word of the Year is brain rot.
Speaker 4: Yes, the definition the supposed deterioration of a person's mental or intellectual state as the result of over consumption of material considered to be trivial around challenging. Now, a brain rot is usually used to refer to online memes that basically make no sense whatsoever. It's very hard to describe exactly what brain rod is because it does literally rot your brain. Most of what you find on TikTok would qualify as brain rot. But if you are curious and you don't know what I'm talking about, look up a thing called skibberty toilet s k I b id toilet and it's literally it's like an animation of a man's head coming out of a toilet and then singing some weird songs.
Speaker 1: But this is what the kids scroll on.
Speaker 3: I've never heard of that until Senator Fatimah payment used in.
Speaker 2: A speed that's talk about brain rot. Yes, break to the Australian Senate. Talk to Senator Payment. She can tell you all about skibbity riz.
Speaker 1: And all this.
Speaker 3: That's all we got time for stick around. Coming up is the Reader Penalty Show.
Speaker 2: Good night