Speaker 1: Lately, welcome the Late Debates.
Speaker 2: Well, good evening and welcome to the Late Debate. I'm James Macpherson with Denika de Giorgio and Joe Hildebrand coming up tonight the North Sydney Toilet that if it goes ahead, we'll have a world heritage view. You will not believe where council want to put Alo plus When we get to the papers, the Canberra bureaucrats who are rushing to book quantus flights on the taxpayer dollar wouldn't have anything to do with double status points, would it. Plus On the front page of tomorrow's papers. Ugly scenes at the University of Sydney as the Student Representative Council vote for the eradication of Israel. All of that a little later, but first, just when you thought the world could not get any crazier, along comes the animal rights group Peter. They are demanding the Brisbane Broncos change their name because well, apparently by calling themselves the Bronco they're glorifying rodeos or Rodeo's or something. Now, I know what you're thinking, what a bunch of donkeys, But I promise you they're not horsing around haven't listened to this statement that they trotted out earlier today. They said Peter is asking the Brisbane Broncos to retire Buck, that's their mascot, and move away from imagery such as Bucking Broncos, which glorifies Rodeos. Bucking Bronco imagery glorifies Rodeos, one of Queensland's cruelest and most backward undertakings. The team could adopt the name the Brisbane Boomerangs, after the impressive aboriginal weapon, a nod to the team's fostering of indigenous talent and commitment to equality. Now, just on that suggestion before we talk about whether or not they should ditch the Bronco mascot. If they were to call themselves, you know, the Boomerangs, to be more animal friendly. Wikipedia says the boomerang was used to kill animals by inflicting injuries that lead to their demise. Designed to fly straight and with significant force, striking an animal with enough power to break bones, puncture vital organs, or cause severe head injuries. I think injuries here applies to the people at Peter.
Speaker 3: That is quality research, That is quality debating, that that is.
Speaker 1: Would you go from broncos to that actually kills me, that kills animals, that's right.
Speaker 3: So this is Peter being Peter. Right, So they do this stuff. Who says vegans don't have a sense of humor. So what they do is they go around trying to find and yes, we know what you're up to, and we're doing it anyway because it's just too funny.
Speaker 1: But they go around.
Speaker 3: Making the most ridiculous, outlandish suggestions or demands of what they want people to do, knowing that it will be seen as so absolutely beyond the pail and absurd that people will talk about it. And then Peter gets all its little mentions and it gets its messagecross by light. So they've come after us before. I think they came after. I think they came after hunters and collectors and said that the banns and collectors should change their names to I guess grazers and collectors or whatever. And they even came after Tasmania. They came after the Tasmanian government and demanded that they change the name of Eggs and Bacon Bay. So there is an idyllic little bay in Tasmania called Eggs and Bacon Bay.
Speaker 1: And Peter obviously.
Speaker 3: Doing a bit of gurgling as you were with the uses of the boomerangs.
Speaker 1: Oh here's something we can get on top of.
Speaker 3: So they're doing it again, and we've walked right into their noodle arm little vegan weak need protein free trap.
Speaker 4: Or their vegan weirdness, the absolutely vegan weirdness. Actually they've done it. You forgot about the Western Bulldogs. They also after you can't forget the Western Bulldogs in the AFL last year, they said that they wanted the AFL team to be renamed the Western Mutts. Would you believe can you imagine the West the Western Mutts versus the West Coast.
Speaker 2: Eggless because they said they're bread promoting breathing in paired dog breeds and.
Speaker 4: They said that that was offensive. And they also wanted the Western Bulldogs to change their mascot as well. So look, you know, look, this is just another example of yet again the perpetually outraged that Peter. You know what they're going to come after next. They're going to go through every single team, the Tigers. I don't think the Sharks are safe at this point, are they? I don't know, I don't know, But at the rate that Peter are going any animal team are.
Speaker 2: Gone, the Saint George I Llawarre team, I mean that glorifies the slanging of dragons. Well, and wait till they find out the dolphins mascot spends the entire game out of water. If they won't be happy with that thing about this though, right, surely this affects their funding because most of their funding comes from donations. If you saw someone from what is the Ethical Treatment of Animals people for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, they're out collecting money so we can fight for animal welfare, and you've been reading that they've been going on with this rubbish, you would have thought, if this is the biggest problem with animal welfare in this country, that the Broncos mascot might glorify rodeos, then maybe animals are doing pretty well and Peter don't need my donation.
Speaker 3: It's just the way that Peter gets all this attention right across the globe. Like, imagine how many countries they're doing this too, all at.
Speaker 1: The same time while we're still banging about it.
Speaker 3: And it doesn't means they get massive, massive amount of media coverage.
Speaker 1: It means they get a super high profile.
Speaker 3: It means that they suck funding that might otherwise go to RSPCA, which actually does really good stuff on a humane society or whatever. But and they get massive celebrity endorsements like Pamela Anderson. I think, quite famously rocked up in the Nerds that I'd rather go naked than wear fur.
Speaker 1: She was a big Peter ambassador.
Speaker 3: The good news is, though, is that it goes both ways because just as Peter demands, you know, it makes demands off what other people can name things. I'm told that Peter Kreedlin has now written to Peter and demanded cease using her name.
Speaker 4: You know, I actually disagree with you. I actually think it puts people off more. To be honest, I think people look at them and just go, you're a bunch of absolute weirdos. Seriously. I mean I know that the Broncos told them to buck off. Oh, I thought that was quite clever. People get put off by this nonsense, seriously, because what they're actually doing is they're ramming it down our throats. Now, if you're going to be an activist organization, I'm happy for you to say this is my cause, this is what I'm about. But when you start making ludicrous suggestions like these. I think it actually puts people on.
Speaker 3: I think the problem is they know it's ludicrous. All it does is get everyone talking about it.
Speaker 4: Hopefully we're talking, but it doesn't Oh well, Peter, great, terrific, you're doing great. It doesn't go yet it's clapp let's clap for them. I think it just puts them off.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe if you're already donating to Peter, you're probably not going to be put off by this because you're already down that.
Speaker 3: If you're vegan or whatever, you probably think it's funny. It's probably the only thing you think is funny.
Speaker 1: Let's talk vegan.
Speaker 2: Let's move from that to South Australia, because they have got some big problems in South Australia. Late a statistics show sixty three percent of adults are either overweight or obese and thirty five percent of children are either overweight or obese. So it's a large issue for South Australia and the government have decided to do something about it. From July first, they will ban advertising of junk food and sugary drinks on all public transport. Now. The Australian Association of National Advertisers has obviously, as you would imagine, opposed this because it'll affect their revenue, of course. But the biggest problem here is the lack of nuance. For instance, junk food under the definition provided by the South Australian Government would include processed food. So get this, Danika, you would be unable to advertise a ham and sealad sandwich because ham is processed. Or what about this if the Make a Wish Foundation put up an out on a bus and the advertisement for Maker Wish Foundation featured a kid with say a sponge cake celebrating a birthday, that would be illegal because that would be promoting unhealthy foods. Or what if there was a food festival being held in Adelaide, they wouldn't be able to advertise their food festival with a picture of pastry. So it's a good ee, dear. I suppose to try to help better health in Adelaide, but there's zero nuance with these laws. And that's the problem. Once you start trying to outlaw every little thing that's still hurt society, you end up just having large swathe laws that become ridiculous.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and look, let's be very clear, you do not have to be a Rhodes scholar to know what the difference between a ham and salad sandwich and say, chocolate and Lolly's is I think you could. You don't have to be a road what difference perhaps in the calories the amount of sugar in both of those. But look, this is another example of why people don't trust leaders, because once you start enforcing blanket bands, you can't do this. You can't do that. We're back to the COVID years. It may as well be back to the COVID years. But also how much how much ham are people actually eating? Yeah? But how much is a lot? Because Okay, if you're eating a couple of kilos a day, I'd go you are absolutely overdosing on the processed meat. But if you've got a couple of slices in your sandwich, come on, I just think it's ridiculous. Look, please, let adults be adults. Let adults make their own decisions in their own lives. Let adults make decisions for their own children. And what are they going to do next? Band junk food? Are they going to go?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: You know McDonald's needs to be banned? Is Goozman and gomes ay? They are in the firing line. Now you know where does it end, Because once you open the door to these sorts of blanket bands, that door gets further open.
Speaker 1: I don't mind.
Speaker 3: I mean obviously because this was done by South Australian Premier Peter Malanauskus.
Speaker 1: Under his watch, he can do.
Speaker 3: No wrong because he is one of the two most handsome premiers.
Speaker 1: In the nation of Australia. And so of course, you know, I was about to say, oh, this is absolutely bloody ridiculous. Where are they doing it? Oh what a fantastic idea.
Speaker 3: This is going to improve health outcomes for kids for generations to come. But I think if it is just there, if it's just the government saying well, no, this is what we decide we're going to accept just for our you know, our sites public.
Speaker 1: I mean, they're not going to ban it. I like it better than a wealth tax.
Speaker 3: And then a sugar tax, because that actually targets people who are less wealthy, because of course people who are poorer are from lawa sarchio economic backgrounds are more likely to have to buy junk food or less healthy food because it's cheaper and easier, and that just ends up penalizing them when they're already being penalized by life.
Speaker 2: The problem with your labor mates though, is now that South Australia are doing this, there's pressure on Mark Butler to do something nationally. And as Denika said, where do you stop? And not just like ban junk food, but if you're not going to advertise on public transport, I mean kids let access advertising about junk food on social media, it's everywhere you're going to ban that. Are you going to ban junk food being used to sponsor sporting things? And are you going to ban parents who? I mean after all its parents who buy the food, right, correct? So should we start removing children from homes where mum and dad are buying them kick kats? But this is what point do you draw a line?
Speaker 4: At what point do you draw a line? But at what point do you take your fingers out of parents lives? Stop telling parents how to pair its, make the decisions for themselves. They know their kids best. They're the ones that know their children in and out. Stop dictating to parents what they should and shouldn't be doing. Well.
Speaker 3: It's a bit like when they started banning all unhealthy foods from school canteens. Little word to the wise, the kids still know it's out there. Yeah, Like even if you don't advertise chocolate, as soon as a kid gets a hold of the good stuff, that's all they want for the rest of their lives.
Speaker 1: And they know it's there, and they.
Speaker 3: Will beat you into submission day in day out. Obviously, I'm still suffering from quite a bit of personal trauma.
Speaker 1: I just gave my five year old a packet of oreos, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Like they just they get it and they wear you down and they find a way because they're evil, manipularly little terrorist masterminds who know how to find your weak spot and then crush it and break.
Speaker 1: You as a human. I'm just going to stop.
Speaker 4: But you might be in trouble see under South Australian under a blanket bad But you could be in trouble.
Speaker 1: Right well, maybe it might be one less thing that you have to worry. So it's like the social media, you know, what is it?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 1: Like what I say to you know, we say to my fireelf. For example, my mum.
Speaker 3: Says to her, well, if you eat all that chocolate, you're going to get diabetes. And I actually had to bring her into work to Sky News and she was talking to Mel the makeup lady downstairs, and she just goes up to Melon and says, do you have chocolate every day and.
Speaker 1: Says, I'm actually I do, yeah, I mean the you have diabetes.
Speaker 2: The biggest you hear is parenting, right. You know when you go to kmart you have to pay for anything. You have to weave through this maze of stuff that is all aimed at kids. It's all like kinder Surprises.
Speaker 1: And all that.
Speaker 2: It's all the whole levels will grab. You've just got to learn to parent and learn to say no. It's not that difficult, unless which case it's impossible. You'll do whatever they want. Empty. Albanezi on Tuesday was sworn in for his second term as Prime Minister along with his new cabinet, and what got everybody talking was the absence of a Bible when he took his oath the Catholic Prime Minister. Rather than swearing on a b I will, as his tradition, chose to take a secular affirmation. Here's what he did on Tuesday. I, Anthony Norman Albanese, do solemnly and sincerely affirm and declare that I will well and truly serve the conwell of Australia, her Land and her people in the office of Prime Minister projers. Now, legally it makes no difference, but politically and culturally there's questions being asked, particularly since Anthony Albanese made a pretty big deal of his Catholic faith prior to the election, and more recently was talking about how proud his mother would be that he will be the first Australian Prime Minister to attend the inauguration of a pope. So why didn't he swear his oath on the Bible. He is, as I said, a Catholic. Well, here's the explanation he gave today.
Speaker 6: I believe in a separation of church and state, so I choose, for example today, I've always chosen to do an affirmation because I think that as the Australian Prime Minister, I represent people of every faith and no faith, and so that for me, that's a personal decision. Other people who swear on the Bible or the Qur'an Nle's case is perfectly up to them. It's a personal choice.
Speaker 2: But now there's a few points we could make about this, But let me just make one point. He said he refused to swear on the Bible because he believes in the principle of the separation of church and state. Here's my question, where did he get that principle from. Well, that principle was not existent until Jesus said, render unto Caesar, what is Caesars? And unto God what is God's? The principle of separation of church and state. Religion and state did not exist anywhere in the world until Jesus made that claim. That principle, which he says was his guiding principle, is actually in the Bible that he refused to swear on Albanese. He probably just doesn't know quite enough of what he believes. If he knew it, he wouldn't have had a problem.
Speaker 3: Very well played again, although I think he is being very genuine to see he didn't make a huge deal. I mean the fact that the pope died in the middle of the election campaign. Obviously he had to put out a statement about that and comment on it a lot.
Speaker 1: It emerged, It emerged publicly, and against I can tell you it was actually against his wishes.
Speaker 3: He actually asked the journo not to run the story. But the journo did anyway, and it wasn't me, but that he'd been going to Mass again. So it started being and he's been raised to Catholic obviously, you know, like we all do. You lapse, you go off and do other stuff, and then you often come back to it later in life. And he started doing that, and he'd been spotted at you know, the big Catholic Church Canberra and and so and so that was written about and I read that he's back, but I don't think it is something because I actually had him on my podcast and tried to get him to talk about him going back to the faith of you know, his own Catholicism, because it was clear that he wrote.
Speaker 1: The statement about the Pope dying himself. You can just tell sometimes when it's them and not their their minions doing it.
Speaker 3: And and he just wouldn't talk about it, just even to me, who you know, even on a podcast, it's really intimate and blah blah blah chatting away. He just sort of talks generally about importance of the Pope and blah blah blah. So I think it actually is something he does like to keep quite private and considers quite personal, which I respect. The other thing, of course, is that if you're swearing an allegiance to the if you're swearing an allegiance on the strong part, imagine the Bible they bring out. It would be a Church of England, it would be this, It would be the King James version, wouldn't that? And so obviously it's a true Catholic. He could only swear on the revised standard version about James. That's a pretty Bible both.
Speaker 2: You could swear on the message versions. Yeah, I'm not questioning Albanese's faith. His suspicion faith is certainly a matter for him. But I mean, when you swear the oath of allegiance, that's not on behalf of the Australian public. That's your promise to the highest authority that you know of that you are going to do a good job. So I still don't understand him saying, will I represent people of all faiths and no faiths? Therefore I don't swear on the Bible. But it's not about everybody else. It's about you and what you consider to be the highest authority that you can promise your fidelity.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and look, I hate to be skeptical about a person's religion. You never want to be skeptical, and I'm not being skeptical. If the Prime Minister is a true Catholic, as he says he is, then that's totally fine. But the problem I have with this is that the Prime Minister himself actually made this almost into an election issue when he paused campaigning on the day that the Pope died. Now, firstly, look, I've got to be honest, I think it was a bizarre decision. I don't know why you need to pause campaigning on the day that the pope died, but to me, it seemed like it was a deliberate attempt to win over Catholic voters. Now why do I think that this was absolutely ridiculous, Well, because he cancels campaigning on that day, and then about an hour later, he held a press conference in which he was asked about his Catholic faith. At that press conference and he said, well, I have three faiths actually, the Labor Party, the Catholic faith and the South Sydney rabbit Os. And that in itself sounded like a sheer slogan to me. So again, I'm not questioning that he is a Catholic, but he didn't even go to a Good Friday service. You might remember he did not go to church on Good Friday. So if you have that devout why didn't you go to church?
Speaker 1: No one likes the bad news days. Everyone just wants to go to the Sunday.
Speaker 4: Well, it doesn't matter, but Peter doesn't. It doesn't win church on Good Friday. So if you are such a devout Catholic, why didn't you go? That's the question.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that Look, I don't think I don't think he is a I don't think he's like a huge in evautiation. But again, like of course you would pause, but with the Pope queen. Imagine if Queen Elizabeth had died and you still.
Speaker 4: Keep I personally think it's different. I don't. I think. Look again, it.
Speaker 2: Worked for him electorally, but it's still.
Speaker 4: He was He was an election, but I think it was an electoral point. It was deliberately to win over the Catholic vote. I don't think. I personally do not think he needed to put during it during the middle of it, because.
Speaker 2: The pope his agenda was to win over the Catholic vote. Yeah, it makes sense then for when he's on your podcast, Joe and you ask him to go into his faith, not to them.
Speaker 3: And again just that like because some people the whole thing of Albow saying it was raised with three faced the Australian Labor Party, Catholic Church in the South sitting rabbitis that is the oldest cliche in the book. That is that is him talking about his childhood and how he was raised and he was.
Speaker 4: It's an election, but it's just proved it was all electoral.
Speaker 1: That has been a slogan that has been around about him. It's like all the day.
Speaker 4: That the Pope died.
Speaker 1: Then it's like because it's for truth.
Speaker 3: Justice in the American wife, it doesn't mean But why say it on the day of the Pope's driver died.
Speaker 4: If you're not if you say if you're going to cancel or I'm going to cancel campaigning because I'm a Catholic and we need to respect this. Why whip out slogans.
Speaker 1: Because it's something that is just universally known about him and has been for his entire life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm like very I'm very sceptical.
Speaker 4: I'm very very skeptical. Now, look we've got to talk about the Greens leadership because today, of course they elected their new leader after Adam Bant lost his seat, which was obviously some of the best news. The only good news I've got to say out of this campaign, but Larissa Waters, who is a Queensland Senator, has been elected. She was elected unopposed. She ran against Marine Ferouki, who remains as the deputy. I mean, God helped the Greens, but also Sarah Hansoon Young. But when she held her press conference today, the first thing that I thought was, well, here we go. It's the say Greens, but with a different face. Have a listen.
Speaker 7: We've got a lot of work to do because people are really hurting and the planet is hurting, and we need a parliament that actually delivers for people and has the courage and the boldness and the heart to deliver some help to people. So I'm calling today for a progressive parliament and a politics with heart.
Speaker 4: Now, if someone can please explain what a progressive parliament looks like, that would be absolutely fantastic because I think that the Greens have a very different view on what progressive parliaments look like, based on their track record over the last three years of anti Australia, anti Israel and bizarre climate alarmism. And it looks like we have another three years Underliverous the waters of the same old rhetoric.
Speaker 7: Where the Greens. So, of course we stand firm always on social justice and human rights, whether that's First Nations justice, whether that's a free Palestine, whether that's peace and human rights. Globally, we will always be there calling out atrocities, calling out a genocide and standing strongly on social justice and human rights.
Speaker 4: Again, as I say, it is the same old Greens, the same old loopy Greens, except under a new leader, a very dangerous brand. It's certainly the Bob Brown days are long gone. Now we've got to talk about Marine Ferruki, who has remained as the Deputy. Now we know that Marine Ferruki, for example, has in the past she's worn a kefire in the Senate. She's also called for reparations for Pakistan, and she's been particular very anti Israel in a lot of her sentiment. And that didn't stop.
Speaker 5: Today migrant and multicultural communities have in the tens of thousands across Sydney, across Brisbane, across Melbourne backed our strong stand against the genocide in Gaza and for us telling the truth about what is happening.
Speaker 4: So here we go again. It's the same old from the Greens. I don't think anything based on that press conference is going to change, even though they have a different leader. And it's very bizarre when you've got somebody like Sarah Hanson Young, who's probably one of the more well in this case, maybe a bit more sensible, though I think Larissa Waters is well probably the most sensible out of those three. The other interesting aspect.
Speaker 2: To come out of all that, did you just use Greens and sensibility?
Speaker 4: I know, but I mean I'm trying that twice.
Speaker 1: I think the journey looking for is at least crazy.
Speaker 4: Well probably least loopy, I mean lease loopy. Out of the three would have to be Larisa Larissa Waters. But what I thought, but what I found interesting today was that Lydia Thorpe there was reports that the Independence she used to she used to be a Greens. Of course that she apparently, according to sources who told the Australian, wants to go back to the Greens. So you've already got an absolute cluster. Can you imagine if Lydia went back, I mean, good green.
Speaker 2: It drives me nuts, is Larissa Warters, God blessed it. She says, you know, we're going to bring back heart to politics, and it's this this moral pre as if we are the righteous ones, the Labor Party, the Liberal Party, Pauline Hanson, none of them have heart, but we we have heart. Well, I would say the Greens have got so much heart that there's room for a little more, you know, thinking, and they're very soft hearted before, so minded. That's what I was trying to avoid. The other thing that she said that got my attention was she says we are the Greens, so we are very firmly always. She got outside of and I was expected to say the environment, but then she started talking about social justice, human rights. And so they've missed a great opportunity, I think to reset here, because there's no question they were punished electorally. They lost four of the three of their four seats in the Lower House. They were punished because of their divisiveness. People saw that heard that rejected that. They had a beautiful opportunity here with Adam Bant gone to reset and put front and center the environment, that if they were serious and sensible about the environment, a lot of pe people would listen to them and pay attention. But as you said, it's just the same old Greens with a different face in chart.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're not actually interested in the environment, to be honest, they're there. They are purely interested in extreme left identity politics. You've got the Victorian Greens currently tearing themselves apart over trans issues. And I think someone someone recently got booted out of the party for some comments they made years ago, for about saying, oh, you know, maybe this could conflict with you women's rights in some you know, some sectors.
Speaker 1: They're they're just bonkers and they I mean, if you and they and they're far they're so far gone from being the part of the environment. All the people who were the.
Speaker 3: Greeny green Greens have basically been purged. There's a couple maybe left, one or two in you But Sarah Hanson Young is actually the most moderate of that triumvirate. And uh and even though she would have the highest profile you would think and be the most obvious candidate for leader, she she obviously never going to get it because the extreme hardliners have so completely got a stranglehold on the party. We don't know what the exact numbers are because, of course, for all the Greens talk about transparency, they don't reveal how their elections work, what the final numbers were for each candidate, how their state conferences or their party machinery works. They don't let anyone in. It is completely shut down and blacked out. And speaking of being blacked out, the.
Speaker 1: Greens are also racist because of.
Speaker 7: Course, we will give you the numbers in the Senate to pass good reforms that helps people and helps the planet. Okay, people elected us to get done, and that's what we intend to do.
Speaker 3: And so if you just saw that clip there, no, you weren't watching two polar bears fighting in a snowstorm. You're watching something even whiter, which is the blondeheaired, blue eyed Larissa Waters. They love their identity politics in the Greens, and they love to point out institutionalized racism and they support critical race theory. And there they have elected the whitest possible candidate of the three women who were running for the leadership, and they locked out the one woman of color, Marine Farouki, who has already raised accusations of racism about this country and in this country, and her very own party has shown that they are still not ready.
Speaker 1: To have someone of color lead them.
Speaker 3: I don't know if it has anything to do with the fact that half of their current party room now has double barreled hyphenated surnames.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's just a coincidence. I don't know, but I.
Speaker 3: Am sick of the abject racism of the Greens rearing its ugly head in this country, which, as Laura Tingle already told us, is racist because an invisible Peter Dutton is hovering around at house auctions and making people think things that they don't want to think about, you know, foreign buyers buying up their homes. And the Greens have demonstrated just how incredibly racist they are by overlooking a historic opportunity to put Marine Ferouki leader, the first woman of color as a leader of a major party in this nation. And the Greens have turned their noses up at history, and they have deprived Australia of what would have been, without doubt, the funniest three years all our ancient history, because Marie Ferruki as leader would have just made amazing. It would have been the funniest thing, and they couldn't even do that.
Speaker 2: So maybe if Marine Ferruki had had the courage to say on insiders that HERMAS should be disbanded. Do you remember she refused to say whether or not they could be disbanded. She might have had a chance of leading a political party. Thank god she's only the deputy, but I agree had she been for us for months. Let's go to the UK now, where the transgender debate has been front and center in the news for quite some time now. Remember the Tavistock Gender Clinic was closed down after a scathing review by doctor Hillary Cass on the treatment of children with gender dysphoria. She found that many were being pushed towards sex changes by this affirmation model, where if a child believed that they were in the wrong body, they were automatically assumed to be right and encouraged to take action regarding that. Well, the clinic was closed down, and then the Health Secretary was streeting. He came out and told Parliament that puberty blockers should be banned completely because there was no evidence that they were safe. In fact, there was evidence that they were quite harmful. And of course, then more recently, the UK Supreme Court ruled that the definition of a woman is biological therefore men claiming to be women are not. So you would have thought that the whole transgender issue in the UK and radical gender theory was starting to return to assemblance of normal, where biology was being recognized and supported. But we read this headline in the UK Telegraph today trans toddlers. Now just those two words should get your attention because that seems an absolute anomaly. Trans toddlers allowed gender treatment on the National Health Service. The article reads that children are not given powerful drugs such as pubity blockers at clinics, but are offered counseling and therapy along with their family. Up to ten children of nursery age are currently being treated in the UK, according to data, while as many as one hundred and fifty seven children aged nine or younger have been referred to these gender clinics now. The government originally proposed a law that would make it illegal for children under the age of seven to receive any sort of treatment, even counseling, regarding gender theory, but that was scrapped after consultation with transactivists groups. As the article says, no children are being given drugs, but they are persisting with this affirmation model, where if a child's says I think I'm the opposite gender to my body. Then they are believed to be telling the truth and they are helped, at least socially to start to transition that way. I couldn't believe this, Danika. Do you know currently there are six two and twenty five children on a waiting list in the UK to have gender treatment. That's twelve percent up on last year. Doctor Hillary Cass said, Cognitively, how does a nursery aged child able to process anything to do with gender? They don't have the comprehension to have a conversation with a health professional, let alone the communication skills. If you're eighteen and you believe you're in the wrong body, well then okay, that's a problem that you have, I would argue, respectfully, if you're eight and arguing you're in the wrong body, that's a problem that your parents have.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and this is I actually find this whole story extremely disturbing because they said nursery age children or toddlers are receiving this sort of treatment. Now they can't talk, some of them probably can't even eat, they can't think for themselves, and yet what they're receiving some sort of gender affirming care or being primed for for potential puberty blockers at a certain age. I'm sorry, but I'm going to be up front. The parents should be locked up for this, because I think that is an absolute disgrace. Your child can barely speak.
Speaker 1: For goodness, I mean, they're older than they're not said it said.
Speaker 4: Correct me if I'm wrong. It was nursery agent, toddlers and three.
Speaker 1: Three and four years, that's right, okay, but three and four.
Speaker 4: But you still can't think for yourself with three.
Speaker 3: Of course, it's ridiculous, but I can't speak any I want to. People can rest on that and then and they're not getting it's only talking like it's self stilly. They're not getting any actual medical interventions or any treatment.
Speaker 4: But the fact that the thought is there, and the fact if a parent took a child of that age to any sort of clinic, that the parents should be locked up. I think that's an absolute disgrace.
Speaker 3: Well, I think the problem is that we don't know how much of this is contagion, as Richard Dawkins described it, and how much of it is genuine. So I've spoken to people who were clearly trans and new from a very young age that they were, and even they sort of said, but just because you know it doesn't mean you should actually begin doing anything.
Speaker 1: You should you need to be able to hear it.
Speaker 3: But by the same token, there are clearly kids who are very young who are tomboys or boys that will you know, will muck around dressing up in girls clothing. And the problem is, I think if you have carers or there who leap on that and say, oh my god, do you think you might actually be a girl, and the kid thinks, oh, yeah, maybe I don't know whatever, And if they think that maybe that's a way to get special attention, or whether they just don't know what they're saying or whatever, you end up sort of pushing them down this absolute last way that they actually don't need to be on. So I think you can just you know, it is just ridiculous to be intervening, I think, in the kid's idea of their gender or their sexuality or anything like that, which obviously they don't actually have any idea of at all at such a ridiculously young age.
Speaker 2: And all the studies saying most kids, if they start thinking these thoughts when they're little, most of them just grow out.
Speaker 1: That's right exactly.
Speaker 2: But when they through the power of suggestion, and you're a parent, you know the power of suggestion is incredible when it comes to little kids.
Speaker 1: I go back to the Oreo story.
Speaker 2: There you go, it's incredibly dangerous. I would have thought to be encouraging an affirmation model for confused kids. That's a kids and be confused.
Speaker 1: So that's right.
Speaker 3: The last thing you want is to give an incentive or provide social reward for kids saying a certain thing which could end up leading them down a path for their life.
Speaker 1: It could be really, really difficult.
Speaker 3: And again, if kids are definitely feeling that way, I think you probably know. I think you don't actually have to sort of flip a coin and say maybe maybe, but yeah.
Speaker 2: And I guess that's the point of that story. There's been a lot of progress, I would argue, back towards normality when it comes to gender issues in the UK, but still a long long way to go. And of course Australia as a whole other story, big story.
Speaker 1: It's in the.
Speaker 2: Papers tomorrow here in Australia, but it's being reported overseas already out of the US that rogue communication devices have been found in Chinese solar power inverters. Now, US authorities have found radios and other communication devices that seem to have been hidden in these power inverters that are used to connect solar panels and wind turbines to the grid, and these communication devices would get around the firewalls that have been put in and technically could enable the Chinese to shut down the energy grid in the USA. Other anomalies have been found in batteries and in electric vehicle charges that have been exported from China to the United States. Mike Rodgers, who's the former director of the US National Security Agency, he told Reuters, we know that China believes there is value in placing at least some elements of our core infrastructure at risk of destruction or disruption. I think that the Chinese are in part hoping that the widespread use of inverters limits the options the West has to deal with this security issue. Now the Daily Telegraph tomorrow Denika are reporting this on their front page because of course China creates most of the inverters that we now rely upon as we go down a renewable zone.
Speaker 4: Really great, this is a major security issue totally.
Speaker 2: We're insisting on renewables. Renewables come from China. China is a foe. We're likely going to have conflict with them, and yet no one seems to be doing anything about it.
Speaker 4: And this is just another string in the renewables only experiment is and it's going really, really well, James. And this is another reason why it's going so well well.
Speaker 2: We're going to go to a break. When we come back, we will look at what's making news tomorrow, including Canberra Burich perhaps rushing off to buy Quantus flights. I wonder why we'll tell you to start with the break. Welcome back. We'll take our summary of tomorrow's headlines, starting with the Northern Territory News, which never lets us down. They always have a great front page. Tomorrow's is no exception. The headline reads this means war. You can take our fireworks, but you'll never take our freedom. Do that properly, Joe. I would have done it with a.
Speaker 3: Freedom take our fireworks, but you can never take our freedom.
Speaker 2: That's how I should have done it. The article reads New South Wales authorities have engaged in an act tantamount to a declaration of war on the Northern Territory's freedom. They've threatened to scuttle our beloved Territory Day by seizing around forty six tons of our fireworks. Now, apparently this is fireworks that was on its way to the Northern Territory, where Territorians on their day are allowed to set off fireworks however, whenever and to the extent that they like, and every year. Joe Hildebrand was telling me about this before the program, and I was like.
Speaker 1: Are you for real?
Speaker 2: I went online.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's also stories about like.
Speaker 2: Last year, thirty people injured when fireworks just went crazy.
Speaker 3: People they lose fingers, hands, you know, it's always a disaster, Buildings burned down.
Speaker 1: It is just absolute carnage.
Speaker 3: And if anyone dares suggest that maybe everyone in the Territory shouldn't be allowed to let out fireworks for just one day a year, whenever and wherever they want, there is it.
Speaker 1: Like what are you talking about? How dare you? No way? Absolutely not, this is absolutely sacred.
Speaker 2: So illegal fireworks on the way.
Speaker 3: To the illegal So they're illegal in everywhere else in the country except in the Northern Territory on Territory Day, and that's when everyone can.
Speaker 1: Just go hell for lace. It's just like there are no rules and you would have said the Chief Minister there and her Mel Gibson brave heart attire and it is just the most absolutely ridiculous, insane thing in the world. And it just makes me so proud to be in Australia.
Speaker 2: Have you been there for?
Speaker 1: Have I been there for territory? I'm not sure. I've had my wife, had my wife lived.
Speaker 2: It's just you sounds like so excited about this yet, amos yah, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I love the territory. I've been their heats. My wife worked there for five.
Speaker 1: Years mysteriously without me, now that I think about movement, and so she just knows all about it. So every time was territory. Every journal up there go right here we go and yeah, anyway, there you go. In tradition, don't dare touch it.
Speaker 4: I know what We're going. From one exciting story to a bizarre story on the front page of the Canberra Times. Surge for double status. Public servants are lining up flight bookings to take advantage of Quantus's double status credit period, with previously unreleased figures showing bookings surging during the week long promotions. Analysis by the camera times of public servant. Domestic flight booking data finds that daily average bookings with Quantus rose by twenty percent in the latest double status credit period in March twenty twenty five. The release of the data obtained through freedom of information comes as a re elected Albanezi government moves to crack down on travel spending departments, with flights and hospitality spending part of the promised six point four billion dollars in savings announced since the election. That's just I mean, that's just.
Speaker 3: Just a pure coincidence, Denika. Look, you're so cynical. You've but you know what, You've been working in the media too long.
Speaker 2: I'm way too long.
Speaker 4: I'm way too cynical of everything at this point. And you question everything, Joe, everything.
Speaker 3: It just so happens that the exact same time that public servants suddenly need to do urgent face to face business meetings. I'd be done over.
Speaker 4: It has to be done.
Speaker 1: Just happens to coincide when Quantus is of double status status Qua.
Speaker 4: I mean, there's nothing about that.
Speaker 1: You conspiracy theorists, you'll see, no.
Speaker 2: No, highly So people understand there's a difference between frequent flyer points.
Speaker 4: Correct and double status and status are actually the ones that they're the hard ones.
Speaker 1: That's one I really.
Speaker 4: Really want because when you get it up to those, when you climb the status platinum, the benefits you gave you get into the loud. You just get your benefits, so much playing for you. Yes, so you actually want to get your status credits over your frequent flyer points.
Speaker 1: That's right, you can't add that's the thing. So you can't.
Speaker 3: Actually you don't actually keep your status gets the clues in the name if you don't get enough status credits, and that involves you physically having to get on the plane. Points you can do all sorts of stuff. You can go to coals and get your fly bys or whatever it is, and you can accumulate points EASi as pie, but the status credits you actually have to be on the plane and take the trip yourself in order to get them all.
Speaker 4: And you also get more luggage allowance, which is always very handy.
Speaker 3: That's good to see public servants finally showing some initiative.
Speaker 2: Yeah, seems to be less than a coincidents Joe's.
Speaker 1: Look at that increasing productivity.
Speaker 3: Joe, honestly, just the cynicism here onto the eyes now and a couple of great little yarns, Proboo has said to PM So the Prime Minister said that his first visit this year would be to Indonesia, where the Russians are coming in and the Russians are going to build. They have asked the Indonesians if they can use one of their air force baces.
Speaker 2: Well, we don't know if they are just because elbow won't see.
Speaker 3: I think it's been established that they did ask and that was reported, and that was neither confirmed nor denied by the government. I can tell you it ain't gonna happen, but there you go. I can exclusively reveal that your National security correspondent on the late debate, it is not going to happen, Todd.
Speaker 1: But anyway, we've got your back.
Speaker 3: Pmtel's Proboo Anthony Alberanezi has thrown Australia support behind Indonesia's bid to join one of the world's biggest trade agreements, as he again downplayed concerns over Jakata's ties with.
Speaker 1: Moscow see James.
Speaker 3: He downplayed them, so fine, nothing to see here and see here, but yes, I am reliably informed that that the Indonesians have been convinced that to allow the Russians to use any of their military facilities would be a very very bad idea.
Speaker 2: Just quickly as the laborman on the pen, when is ALBANIZI going to see Trump? Is he got a trip to America schedule?
Speaker 1: He has to he has to wait too.
Speaker 3: He was very lucky to get a phone call scheduled, and the phone call happened to be scheduled just twenty four hours after Trump and answered all those taffs things, so he was able to get on the phone.
Speaker 1: Before pretty much anyone else. But you have to, I mean, it just takes so much to organize a trip to see the president. Like you can't just say everyone's going on coming over. Yeah, yeah, but Trump's going.
Speaker 4: To see everybody, i mean, prop to the Middle East of the moment.
Speaker 1: Trump has to make time to see them.
Speaker 3: So you know, obviously the UK is going to have more sway, you know, Ukraine even is going to have.
Speaker 4: From ourbo from Australia is not going to have any sway.
Speaker 3: Oh some obviously, you know, you know it won't be up there with you know, China, India, you know, all these mega superpowers, we're still just you know, a little old Butler. Yeah, and another concerning story on the front page of the Odds No Israel. Sydney UNI students turn their backs on Jewish peers. I thought it wasn't about anti simmon. I thought it was just about you know, free guards. I wasn't about being.
Speaker 1: Jewish, was it.
Speaker 3: Scores of students at the nation's oldest university turned their backs on Jewish peers who were pleading for support to stamp out anti Semitism on campus and defending the existence of a Jewish state. That would seem to put the lie to the idea that this is just against those genocidal evil Zionus and not about Get.
Speaker 2: This, a student representative council said, it wasn't anti Semitic to call for the elimination of the state of Israel. But again it just where the Jews go if they don't have.
Speaker 4: It again once It just shows once again is how cowardice and how hopeless the universities have been since October seven, twenty twenty three. And if you were a Jewish student, can you imagine how fearful you would be on campus that now you're actually going you know what this is? This is just terrible. You go there to learn, you go there to learn, you don't get. You don't go there to be subjected to this sort of nonsense.
Speaker 1: To be honest, I went there to smoke bombs and have sex.
Speaker 4: But well, I mean no, But we're talking about and he Israel's sentiment here. That's very very different, Joe.
Speaker 1: It's very different from what I was doing. And it's quite creepy. I think, what is I think there's always.
Speaker 4: Been creepy what you were doing.
Speaker 3: It's being student radicalism. Now we were having a great time, but there's always been student radicalism, and I was crazy.
Speaker 1: How can Mark.
Speaker 2: Scott, the device chancellor tolerate a student representative?
Speaker 1: Cansel?
Speaker 2: They're erectly calling for the elimination of Israel, turning their back on Jewish Yes, that's explaining to be about student welfare and allowing that sort of stuff to take place on camp.
Speaker 1: That's right. But the SRC is not a university body, it's a student. But yes, you're absolutely right, there are.
Speaker 2: Things kick those students out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they don't belong in your instage, that's true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Look, he has been trying to and they've been really frustrated. I know people who work for Mark Scott and Mark himself and that they're very frustrated to find the actual mechanism, the actual legal mechanism they can deal with all this appalling behavior and.
Speaker 1: Just very quickly off target.
Speaker 3: ALPS Green undershoot Labelable Underscore undershoot it's two thousand and thirty renewable energy target by fourteen percentage points due to delays in delivering big solar and wind projects. Property Global Consulting Consultancy would McKenzie to warn the short form may imperil the Albanzi government's pledge to slash emissions this decade, as if Labour would ever fail to mat a pledge ahead of an electric Now.
Speaker 2: There you go. We to go to a break when we come back. The North Sydney toilet that if it goes ahead, we'll have a world heritage view. We'll show you where that toilet is destined to be located right after the break.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 2: I spent a lot of time on the Sunshine Coast and it's famous for its Loo with a View which has an amazing outlook onto the Milula Bar Beach. But that's nothing compared to the Loo with a View that North Sydney Council are proposing at McMahon's point. Look at this map here you can see there's the harbor of the bridge. You can see the arrow there pointing to this spot which has a World Heritage Listed view. North Sydney Council proposing to build a tour toilet there. If the toilet goes ahead. This is what you'll be able to see from the toilet. That's not a bad view at all. If you need to do a quick well, go to the toilet fast. Of course, there's outrage about this. How on earth could they build a toilet there, especially when there's a toilet block in existence about a one minute walk from there. But there are other toilets in Sydney that also have magnificent views, not least of which the Glenmore Hotel, which got a wonderful review on trip Advisor from someone who went to the toilet there. This is at the Rocks at Sydney. So here's the review on trip Advisor. Best view from a urinal in Sydney. The reviewer wrote, went to the men's room and there right next to the end urinal was a large window which affords the user amazing views over circular Key the urinal also overlooks another bar, so their patrons may be able to see you too. I don't know, go for a drink and if you're a bloke, a tinkle, but forget about ordering food. So the food didn't come out so well. But apparently the view we at the Glenmore that's currently the lou with the view. But McMahon's point may have an even.
Speaker 3: I have spent many, many, many a long hour at the Glenmore Hotel Europe. It is one of the best pubs in Sydney. It's right there in the rocks and there's a rooftop bar on the very top that you go after and if you and the problem is if your food doesn't come all to go get drinks you have to go down about three flight stairs and then go back up.
Speaker 4: And it's better than looking at graffiti and ridiculous ads on the back of the toilet door.
Speaker 3: Oh it's fantastic. You're just seeing that, you know. Unfortunately they chew's a bit of a bugger. But anyway, now this is another from.
Speaker 4: Dear that could have gone.
Speaker 1: From peeing to sleeping.
Speaker 3: Ryanair, you may know, is a super super low budge airline that operates in the UK and Europe, and it is basically a bus with wings and rhyanas passages. Bizarre sleeping position has been labeled extremely angerous. It's been labeled the Ryan Air mattress. Get it, but check out this guy. That's his feet on the seats there and then he's got his head under the chair the seat in front of him, which you wouldn't want to be a female.
Speaker 2: Flights, however, you can get comfortable, do whatever you come on.
Speaker 4: That's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: That's it from stick around. Coming up in just a moment is the Reader Penalty show. Good Night,